Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jay

Real Name Jay   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2009, 18:35
Total Comments 157 (Novice)
User ID 54872

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 29, 2011, 10:39 Jay

Agreed. I mean, the price is tolerable - I can sell off my old DS and shave off a few dollars (since it's backwards compatible anyway) but the battery life is something I'd really miss.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 25, 2011, 13:58 Jay

all signs I've seen so far indicate that 3ds will be a runaway success. The article seems to suggest that the price war is not because there's lack of consumer interest, but rather because there's too much. They're using it as an opportunity to draw customers into their stores.

Think of Angry Birds: it's free on every appstore (other than Apple's) because there's a lot of consumer interest for the game. Android marketplace, intel appup, etc are definitely benefiting from it because it's drawing people to their platform.

News Comments > F1 2011 in September
7. Re: F1 2011 in September Mar 24, 2011, 22:39 Jay

If you enjoy iRacing or Ferrari virtual academy, then chances are you'll hate it.
It's certainly not realistic but I like it a lot. Not a lot of competition out there though.

News Comments > F1 2011 in September
5. Re: F1 2011 in September Mar 24, 2011, 17:32 Jay

The AI never bothered me too much, but I find it ridiculously difficult with tire sim on, and ridiculously easy with tire sim off. I hope F1 2011 has better difficulty adjustment.  

News Comments > StarCraft II Patched
19. Re: StarCraft II Patched Mar 23, 2011, 17:53 Jay

Yifes wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 17:24:
Only play as the humans? Yeah lets just ignore the fact that there's also a protoss campaign in the first game.
Really? Didn't know that. when they announced sc2 back in 2008, they said that the 1st one would be Terran, 2nd Zerg, then 3rd Protoss. I know almost nothing about sc2 because I'm trying to avoid spoilers until I can get my hands on the battle chest edition.

News Comments > StarCraft II Patched
15. Re: StarCraft II Patched Mar 23, 2011, 17:11 Jay

I think the reason why a lot of people don't see SC2 as a "whole" game is because traditionally a RTS features a single player campaign that lets you play all the factions present in the game. Dawn of War pulled the same thing. Everyone was asking "where's my orc campaign?"
You can't blame the players for expecting what's essentially the norm.

News Comments > Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible
9. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 12:23 Jay

Jivaro wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 11:19:
I am not sure what you mean, there are competitors to Gamecenter already available. What would Apple have trouble with?

Apple wouldn't allow services that eats into their appstore profit. If we ever see Steam on iOS, it will be a vastly limited version of it that doesn't allow you to purchase games, or let you play games purchased outside appstore.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 22, 2011, 11:05 Jay

Perhaps, but let's not forget that glasses-free 3D is something that most consumers never experienced before, and its novelty value alone will be enough to sell the system.  

News Comments > Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible
2. Re: Steam Video Recording Nears, Mobile Steam Possible Mar 22, 2011, 11:02 Jay

Steam on iOS? that's ambitious. I highly doubt that Apple will allow something like that.  

News Comments > Windows Gaming eXperience Video
7. Re: Windows Gaming eXperience Video Mar 21, 2011, 14:34 Jay

Wow, I don't know what I was expecting when they said that Win8 will take PC gaming to the next level, but not this.  

News Comments > Carmack: Direct3D Now "Rather Better" Than OpenGL
30. Re: Carmack: Direct3D Now Mar 11, 2011, 17:50 Jay

Lorcin wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 17:28:
I could be very wrong here but the PS3 and all subsequent consoles from them ,nintendo, iOS and Android use opengl .

Nintendo and Sony's systems have their own graphics API that's similar to OpenGL, but not quite. iOS and Android use OpenGL ES which is small subset of OpenGL and added some new stuff to accommodate the hardware. So, using OpenGL ensures compatibility across Windows, Linux and OSX, but you still need to do some work to make it work across consoles or mobile devices.
I don't think most game developers regard D3D vs OpenGL to be a big deal honestly. You have bigger problems to worry about than graphics API when porting stuff.

22. Re: Carmack: Direct3D Now Mar 11, 2011, 12:35 Jay

TurdFergasun wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 12:24:
not much different than the current physics situation. everyone could be using it through openCL, instead we're stuck with two proprietary players in a tech cold war with havok and physx. openGL and CL will always be universaly better in that they're more available, and compatible. they won't have all the bells and whistles of directX because they don't have the marketing budget, or pure rape appeal of directX.

I do prefer to work with OpenGL and OpenCL, but to be realistic, they're always late to the party and specs are sometimes up to the interpretation of hardware makers. OpenCL wasn't even all that useful until v1.1, and when was the first driver available - like late last year?
We can all hate on DirectX, Cuda, Physx, etc all we want, but the truth is that they're literally years ahead and mature compared to open specs.

20. Re: Carmack: Direct3D Now Mar 11, 2011, 11:57 Jay

While it's true that hardware tessellation existed in OpenGL as a form of vendor extension (ATI's primarily), it didn't become part of the official specs until NVidia started supporting it last year (to be DX11 compliant, i suspect).  

News Comments > GamersGate on Steam Competition
14. Re: GamersGate on Steam Competition Feb 8, 2011, 13:12 Jay

GamersGate may be the only digital distribution service that has no secure login. For the longest time their checkout pages were in frames so you didn't know if it was a secure transaction or not (unless you looked at the page source).  

News Comments > Steam Screenshots Beta
15. Re: Steam Screenshots Beta Feb 1, 2011, 15:32 Jay

Yah I get annoyed when people say virtualization is fake surround. There's nothing fake about HRTF and usually gives you much better surround than typical home surround speaker setup. Which is why I always tell people to not cheap out on sound cards.

(edit: i guess you don't need a quality soundcard if you have a usb headphone that does virtualization in software - nevermind)

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2011, 17:46 Jay

I would've thought the drop is expected in anticipation of the new platform launching next month. I know i'm saving up my money  

News Comments > DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details
76. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 22, 2011, 12:29 Jay

Beamer wrote on Jan 22, 2011, 01:11:
For the type of AA people want you will not see on an HDTV. The reason why you're seeing the issue right now is that the engines are cutting corners. A more powerful machine won't have to cut these corners. It'll have more effective ways of doing it than costly AA.

AA is actually very cheap compared to rendering in higher resolution. (eg. to get the same amount of visual comfort as a render with 4xMSAA at 1080p, the render without AA has to be rendering at 7680x4320) The reason why AA was so expensive in previous gen GPUs was because the hardware wasn't built for it. With latest development such as nvidia's coverage based techs and ati's screen space based AA (which incur almost no framerate hit) it can only get cheaper.

66. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 21, 2011, 18:39 Jay

There's also a link in the article for full size images.
I wasn't actually trying to prove any argument - some people have problem with jaggies and some don't. I personally play most of my games with AA because I can easily notice it even when I'm sitting far away enough so that I can't make out individual pixels. The reason is simple: The details you can't see aren't really lost - they're just defocused. Usually the human brain is very good at interpreting such data.

64. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 21, 2011, 18:19 Jay

To see if you can notice aliasing at really far away:
http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_11.html
stand away from the monitor.

News Comments > DRM-Free D&D RPGs
13. Re: DRM-Free D&D RPGs Jan 20, 2011, 09:41 Jay

yeah. plus all the money you spend on impulse goes to sarah palin's campaign contribution.  

157 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo