Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jay

Real Name Jay   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2009, 18:35
Total Comments 157 (Novice)
User ID 54872

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > New SimCity Only Playable Online
41. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 13:21 Jay

I haven't been keeping up with SimCity news. With player-influenced global economy and always online gameplay, does that mean the cities you build are persistent and running even when you're not playing? If so, I assume you can't pause or fast-forward or reload old saves to play with disasters (unless they don't care about broken economy)?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 7, 2012, 22:58 Jay

I hate the way Google categorizes games. They only have 5 specific genres and all the major ones are missing (adventure, rpg, strategy, sim, etc)  

News Comments > New Haptic Controller Prototype
4. Re: New Haptic Controller Prototype Mar 5, 2012, 17:17 Jay

It's all fun and games until somebody loses a thumb.  

News Comments > Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2
10. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 11:37 Jay

ItBurn wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 10:54:
I never tried psychonauts. It looks terrible. I rarely(never) like third person platformers. I understand that everyone likes it, but I'm rarely wrong in that department.

As a platformer, it's pretty 'meh' - but the gameplay isn't what makes Psychonauts special. It could've been a point & click adventure or rhythm game or something stupid and it would still have been equally brilliant.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Turns Two
22. Re: Star Trek Online Turns Two Feb 3, 2012, 09:22 Jay

Bumpy wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 00:00:
Jay wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 23:45:
Wait.
You can pause ground combat? How?

You can set a key bind to activate it or click the Pause Zone button on the right hand lower side of screen. Note, it has a limited time (38 sec in this pic) but recharges when out of Pause. You can give anyone way points and several different commands.
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/8476/gameclient2012012723495.jpg

Oh man, I never knew that. Thanks.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Turns Two
7. Re: Star Trek Online Turns Two Feb 2, 2012, 23:45 Jay

Bumpy wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 21:24:
People complain about the ground combat but when you pause+plan its much more fun. Only thing I don't like is the battles are over pretty quickly.

Wait.
You can pause ground combat? How?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2012, 18:02 Jay

Quboid wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 15:10:
Apple seems to be the only people who get any heat. Don't Foxconn make stuff for loads of Western companies? I've only ever heard of Apple in connection to their worker policies. As WarpCrow says, if you're going to boycott Apple, there's many others and I doubt Foxconn are unique in their policies either.

I agree that it seems a bit unfair that Apple is the only one that's getting any flak for working conditions in China... However at the same time Apple has almost 100 billion dollars in cash sitting in the bank. Other tech companies aren't doing so well and don't have the luxury.

If anyone can improve the working conditions, Apple can. They have enough money to buy a small country - let alone a factory with reasonable work hours and benefits. As the market leader and company that claims to "think different" and bring about positive social changes (recycling programs, less toxic materials, digital textbooks etc) they should be setting an example for other tech companies to follow.

News Comments > THQ Refocuses - Open Letter
36. Re: THQ Refocuses - Open Letter Jan 25, 2012, 14:22 Jay

Prez wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 12:36:
Goddammit. The last place I wanted to see such turmoil was THQ. I love just about every game they put out*.

EDIT: *On the PC. No clue about console games.

Same here. Plus they're the best hope for the next Homeworld game, so it pains me to see them in trouble.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 23, 2012, 12:36 Jay

None of the "loopholes" in intel Ultrabook certification seem particularly troubling.  

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Dec 22, 2011, 11:38 Jay

Hd7970 is damned impressive. No doubt Nvidia's very soon to be released Kepler will beat it, but it's nice to see AMD holding the single GPU performance crown for a while.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 15, 2011, 16:16 Jay

Fuckin Bullshit. We didn't elect this stupid government into power. That's the most frustrating part. We desperately need proportional representation!  

News Comments > Dungeons of Dredmor Expansion Announced
4. Re: Dungeons of Dredmor Expansion Announced Dec 12, 2011, 11:47 Jay

Yeah, it's a pretty amazing game. Highly disposable too. I like to start a character with random skills with permadeath and hard difficulty and see what kind of trouble I can get into. It scratches my RPG itch when I don't have time to invest in lengthy hours into a mainstream RPG.  

2. Re: Hardware Reviews Dec 6, 2011, 12:04 Jay

I'm sure it will perform admirably.  

News Comments > Counter-Strike Global Offensive Beta Footage
22. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Beta Footage Dec 1, 2011, 17:29 Jay

It looks like mouse. A lot of fast turns and telltale signs of lifting mouse off the mat. This person might have had mouse sensitivity turned way down for precise and deliberate aiming, which might be why it looks like controller movement.

edit: yup it's PC. check the uploader's facebook page.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2011, 17:39.

1. Re: Hardware Reviews Dec 1, 2011, 14:36 Jay

OCZ's Octane forum is strangely vacant - it's not filling me with confidence that it's any more reliable than OCZ's SandForce offerings.  

News Comments > Counter-Strike Global Offensive Beta Footage
7. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Beta Footage Dec 1, 2011, 13:15 Jay

I might check this out. Never was a fan of CS, but from time to time I jump in because I miss clan arena and I'm willing to play anything that resembles one.  

News Comments > GamePro Magazine Ending
12. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Nov 30, 2011, 18:46 Jay

Cutter wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 18:24:
Why is it sad when magazine dies? Obviously most people don't think so or it'd be viable.

Of course. if there were more people who thought my way, CGW would've never died. Despite the fact that CGW provided much better writing and much more interesting features than gaming websites, for average gamers it provided very poor value proposition (because it's very hard to compete with free, plus all they ever want out of gaming press is news & reviews).

News Comments > GamePro Magazine Ending
8. Re: GamePro Magazine Ending Nov 30, 2011, 17:49 Jay

I never read GamePro, but it's always sad when magazines die. I think CGW crew said it best: print magazines tend to have better editorial content and unique and interesting features because publishers can't tie pageviews to articles. With online medium the numbers are plainly accessible, so even if they start a gaming website or whatever with best intentions, it inevitably gravitates toward content that has the highest pageviews (eg latest call of duty coverage and top-10 lists).

CGW did the same thing as GamePro when its subscriber base started dwindling. More editorial content, transform reviews into retrospectives, less emphasis on news, etc. I really appreciated all these changes in CGW and it was truly the best gaming magazine out there, but unfortunately quality != success.

1. Re: Hardware Reviews Oct 12, 2011, 11:06 Jay

Wow, disappointed to say the least. Phenom II looks like the better buy at this point. Prev gen is cheaper and performs just as well (if not better). What the hell happened?  

News Comments > Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming?
22. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 13:31 Jay

Alamar wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 12:34:
Something like OnLive on a mobile device is not likely... Maybe never, but that's always a bad prediction....

OnLive is scheduled for release on iOS and Android devices very soon (likely this year) along with bluetooth controller to address the very issue you mentioned.
Although I can't say how "mobile" the mobile devices are when you're carrying around a controller bigger than your device and likely need to prop it up somehow while gaming.

157 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo