Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jay

Real Name Jay   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2009, 18:35
Total Comments 157 (Novice)
User ID 54872

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft II Beta Patch
2. Re: StarCraft II Beta Patch Apr 22, 2010, 21:24 Jay

Yeah, almost everyone, I think. They say they're working on it.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews
24. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 27, 2010, 14:30 Jay

CUDA is basically parallel computing cranked up to the max. I've seen some demos that speed up 3D volume rendering more than 10-fold compared to CPU. I think a lot of software companies are afraid of getting into it because 1. it's only supported on Nvidia cards. 2. they're afraid that two different GPUs will give two different results. 3. it's difficult to code with limited access to memory.
If Premiere supports CUDA for compression/fx/any cpu intensive task, you'll probably see huge benefits.

News Comments > On Sale
22. Re: On Sale Mar 26, 2010, 14:59 Jay

Ant wrote on Mar 26, 2010, 13:42:
I will try RFG if there is a free playable demo.
You could play Just Cause 2 demo, but without using the grappling hook or the parachute, and get a pretty good idea of how RFG plays

News Comments > Atari on GOG.com
14. Re: Atari on GOG.com Mar 25, 2010, 12:51 Jay

Sounds like I'll be picking this one up. (I don't mind ultra low-res graphics, hell I still play Tie Fighter at 320x200)
Thanks guys.

11. Re: Atari on GOG.com Mar 25, 2010, 12:23 Jay

So, as a person who hasn't heard of MoM, not wearing rosecoloured nostalgia glasses, and spoiled by recent turn based fantasy games like HoMM and King's Bounty...
Would I enjoy MoM if I tried playing it today?

4. Re: Atari on GOG.com Mar 25, 2010, 11:59 Jay

Outcast and Master of Orion I know and love dearly, but Master of Magic? Never heard of it!  

News Comments > Steamworks Microtransactions Planned
4. Re: Steamworks Microtransactions Planned Mar 21, 2010, 14:06 Jay

As long as none of the valve games have microtransactions, I'm fine with it. I'd hate to have to pay extra to get the most out of Team Fortress, Portal, etc.  

News Comments > Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck’s Revenge Announced
2. Re: Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck’s Revenge Announced Mar 11, 2010, 11:14 Jay

The new art doesn't seem very good, but the developer commentaries AND the ability to enable voice acting for classic mode are sure to make this worthwhile.  

News Comments > Valve's Mac Plans Announced
52. Re: Valve's Mac Plans Announced Mar 8, 2010, 20:17 Jay

toT wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 16:35:
Mac OS X has world class development tools, in my opinion. XCode is great to work with, and is supplied by Apple, completely free. There is no fee to download the tools, start coding and releasing OS X applications. I have not used MSDN or the MS tools, and I am not commenting on the quality of them, but I know that they are not free to all developers. Likewise I suspect that you have never used XCode at all, because there are also tons of code samples, tutorial videos, and documentation available to all developers at the Apple website, once again at no charge.

Actually I have a mac and develop using XCode and use the developer connection site occasionally. You're right of course, let me re-phrase: MSDN offers a lot of game-development related help. For example, oh i don't know, real-time shadows. You can find no less than 3 different example code, not to mention explanation of different methods and theories, plus the industry trend and recommendations. There are a lot of valuable information geared specifically toward game developers, which, unfortunately, is sorely lacking in mac development docs (understandably, of course).

News Comments > Valve's Mac Plans Announced
31. Re: Valve's Mac Plans Announced Mar 8, 2010, 16:20 Jay

Despite the OS, Microsoft's development tools are absolute joy to work with. There are wealth of documentation, tips, and example codes that's available at MSDN that you can't get with Linux or OSX. I wouldn't be surprised that's why most game developers prefer to release for Windows than Mac or Linux. (I'm primarily a Linux developer, btw)  

News Comments > DiRT2 Patched
4. Re: DiRT2 Patched Mar 2, 2010, 20:54 Jay

Didn't it stream ads before this patch? I noticed that the billboard ads were different from race to race, but I don't know if they were streamed or not.
Anyway, the game is very arcady. Even at most realistic setting, hardest difficulty, the game is, well definitely not easy, but still feels very arcady. Can't speak with any expertise because I never participated in off-road racing in real life, but I'm sure I shouldn't be able to run into walls at 80MPH and continue driving with just "minor damage to tires"

edit: not criticizing the game. it's still incredibly fun. It's especially awesome with xbox controller. also tried playing it with logitech gamepad, but it's terrible (menu not navigatable with controller, no rumble, forgets button mapping upon restart, etc).

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2010, 21:34.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed
7. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 26, 2010, 22:12 Jay

The only game I was planning to buy from the list was Silent Hunter 5, but still, their loss.  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced
28. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced Feb 18, 2010, 17:05 Jay

while there's no doubt that the series has been getting better in terms of game mechanics, I still like Civ2 best because it has the most personality. The FMV advisers, decorated throne room, etc. make for the most immersive experience of being a "ruler".  

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Aug 29, 2009, 00:28 Jay

also Gobliiins 4 on Impulse for $10. Includes the first 3 games, so not a bad deal (if you like getting frustrated with old fashioned illogical puzzles).  

News Comments > Need for Speed: SHIFT Preorders
5. Re: Need for Speed Preorders Aug 8, 2009, 19:21 Jay

From developers of GTR series and physics done by Eero Piitulainen? Hell I'd be surprised if this game wasn't good. Even if it bears the NFS label.  

News Comments > PCGA: Activision Out, SecuROM In
26. Re: PCGA: Activision Out, SecuROM In Apr 14, 2009, 13:35 Jay

Bungie's split from Microsoft isn't so much of a testament to Bungie's power as development house, but rather MS's indifference to Bungie as a brand name. Remember, Microsoft let the split happen, and Bungie retains none of the intellectual properties. Bungie didn't want to make more Halo games and MS didn't see money in new IPs (even if it had "Bungie" on the box), so they let the Bungie shareholders buy the name back.
Try imagining a similar scenario for Blizzard. They suddenly want to make a point & click adventure game with a brand new IP, and vivendi won't allow it. Vivendi sees the partnership no longer working because designers at Blizzard are all poised to quit. Will Vivendi let Blizzard people buy the name back? Will Vivendi sell its biggest money-making franchises to a different company? (the answer is no - they would rather lose the people and keep the brands that consumers respond to)

News Comments > Weekend Sales
20. Re: Weekend Sales Apr 3, 2009, 14:38 Jay

I don't recommend GamersGate service...
I tried it last week for the first time, and they took my money and didn't give me the game. Their support is terrible. Told me to contact the payment service (Paynova) and Paynova told me to contact GamersGate. I'm still stuck in this endless support loop.

157 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo