Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for gray

Real Name gray   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 1, 2009, 12:07
Total Comments 224 (Novice)
User ID 54867

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
16. Re: Nobody Wants To Sleep In A Driverless Car Aug 4, 2014, 07:34 gray

Complete dross.

The article says that 7% would sleep, how is that nobody?

Also, I'm not sure the author is aware that 7 is a larger number than 5.3.

8.3% of people say that they would probably read, 5.3% say that they would watch TV (thatís probably a gross underestimate) and only 7% of respondents say that they would sleep.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Beta Begins
56. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 31, 2014, 08:10 gray

Bob wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 03:01:
Tumbler wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 16:27:
Anyone know if this works with Oculous or Oculous dk2? Once my DK2 gets here I think I'm going to have to buy this. Need stuff to try with it!

Well on the Oculus reddit forum quite a few people are claiming that ED in the Rift DK2 is the best gaming experience they have ever had.

Edit, just one example :
I stepped in to E:D last night with the DK2 and nothing can compare to the experience. I ceased to be a gamer and became a spacer.

It was my Contact moment - "No - no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should've sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea."

My first dogfight scenario left me speechless, the gorgeous cockpit lives and breathes around you, your head snaps upwards to track the target while lasers pulse illuminating everything, shields light up as they absorb the impact - and you're there, right in the middle of it all and its simply incredible.

If you have a DK2 or will get one - This, you MUST know this feeling

I tried it last night, it is without a doubt the killer app of VR. No other gaming experience comes close, I don't even ... I don't have the words.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2014, 08:16.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 9, 2014, 08:08 gray

Latency still too high.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation May 15, 2014, 08:26 gray

Kinect is really high latency (its quite outdated technologically speaking). Conceptually similar, tailored for VR technologies are on the way though.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 24, 2014, 07:36 gray

InBlack wrote on Apr 24, 2014, 03:40:
NegaDeath wrote on Apr 23, 2014, 19:29:
"Net neutrality dead for good? FCC may endorse pay-for-play deals"

RIP Internet. It's dead Jim. Industry schill placed in position of power schills for that industry. Fucking shocking.

Thankfully the internet is a fully distributed network. If the US decides to regulate and control its internet access to the detriment of its citizens well then the rest of the world will simply have to learn live without them and adapt. As for you guys stuck in the US of A, well why not write a letter to your congressman, or two...oh thats right, you are no longer a democracy. My bad. Sorry guys.

I'm amazed how the US is actively stagnating its own development vs the rest of the world.

News Comments > GRID Autosport Announced
32. Re: GRID Autosport Announced Apr 23, 2014, 08:43 gray

Dmitri_M wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 18:00:
After playing Assetto Corsa everything else feels like child's play. Not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with a fun gamepad driving game, it's just that the nuances and challenge of a sim like Assetto Corsa is so addictive that when I try other car games now I feel like they're on rails. That includes Forza on Xbone and Project Cars (which is my second most played car game after Assetto).

Sims can be fun too.

This, Codemasters have kind of lost it since Toca.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 2, 2014, 08:04 gray

Quboid wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 14:49:
Beamer wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 13:21:
Even assuming this is possible (it really kind of isn't) and happens (it really won't), so fucking what? Let OR rot. Some other company will see the potential, see how FB ruined the potential, and if VR sets are a good idea (and they may not be), we'll still get them

This is ultimately why I'm not that bothered about Facebook's take-over. Worst case scenario, they put VR back 24 months at most. Probably less, I doubt Sony were the only competitors even before Facebook made everyone sit up and take notice.

I think it's more likely that they won't significantly interfere for a year or two and in this time period, their influence could be positive. I expect it's easier for Oculus to find people willing to sell them 6 inch 120hz low persistence 1440p panels now. I certainly hope so.

They'll get subsumed eventually but by then they should have advanced the industry to a point where there are many hardware options to choose from. In the next few years the idea is that they wont have to use someone else's phone panels but rather they'll produce their own components and likely wont use a panel at all. Using near-eye LFDs perhaps? The current bulky units are due to having to 'hack' in existing components rather than building from the ground up, expect something the size of a pair of sunglasses in the coming years.

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 2014, 08:10.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 31, 2014, 08:38 gray

Quboid wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 12:17:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 21:49:
shihonage wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 17:49:
Oculus Rift is a convention device. It works great at conventions where the exposure is limited. Once you own it, you will realize that it is nauseating and impractical to use.

He's speaking from hands on experience folks.

Is he? I don't know if he owns one and I don't know if you're being sarcastic.

I technically own one but it's still in Parcelforce's hands. Delivery due 28/03/2014, A.K.A. yesterday.

Mine shipped in the original batch and that hasn't been my experience at all. Rather the opposite, everyone will have a VR device shortly and they wont look anything like the current prototypes.

News Comments > Women In Video Games Initiative
43. Re: Women In Video Games Initiative Mar 31, 2014, 08:36 gray

How is this even legal?

Sex discrimination also can involve treating someone less favorably because of his or her connection with an organization or group that is generally associated with people of a certain sex.

http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/sex.cfm

News Comments > New DayZ Studio; Future Plans Detailed
19. Re: New DayZ Studio; Future Plans Detailed Mar 31, 2014, 08:30 gray

As others have noted, there is very little on Zombies. You would think that'd be a priority rather than adding ancillary survival elements.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs Trailer
23. Re: Watch Dogs Trailer Mar 28, 2014, 09:03 gray

jomisab wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 08:56:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 08:40:
Verno wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 08:35:
they should probably have an asterisk somewhere in the video that leads to *running on SLI GeForce 780s.
If it is than color me completely uninterested.
The very first gameplay trailer looks way better than anything they've showed after.

Perhaps they are just trying to better manage expectations across platforms and ultimately it will look even better than this on a high end PC?

I wouldn't count on it, what the hell happened?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 27, 2014, 08:45 gray

The serious value was yet to come, they may well have been had.

ďThe problem with the Internet startup craze isnít that too many people are starting companies; itís that too many people arenít sticking with it. Thatís somewhat understandable, because there are many moments that are filled with despair and agony, when you have to fire people and cancel things and deal with very difficult situations. Thatís when you find out who you are and what your values are. So when these people sell out, even though they get fabulously rich, theyíre gypping themselves out of one of the potentially most rewarding experiences of their unfolding lives. Without it, they may never know their values or how to keep their newfound wealth in perspective.Ē

- Steve Jobs

oculus-ceo-describes-rapid-sale-to-facebook/

News Comments > Evening Interviews
16. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 27, 2014, 08:42 gray

Yosemite Sam wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 21:21:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 20:31:
$2B is just insane. $50M I could see, maybe even $100M given that they'd gotten something like $35M in venture capital. But $2B???

I'm beginning to think the 2 billion number is being misrepresented. Somehow I doubt Mark paid 2 billion for the company and it's more like he's investing 2 billion into the company.

It was an acquisition by a public listed company, misrepresentation would be a serious matter indeed.

MENLO PARK, Calif., March 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Facebook today announced that it has reached a definitive agreement to acquire Oculus VR, Inc., the leader in immersive virtual reality technology, for a total of approximately $2 billion. This includes $400 million in cash and 23.1 million shares of Facebook common stock (valued at $1.6 billion based on the average closing price of the 20 trading days preceding March 21, 2014 of $69.35 per share). The agreement also provides for an additional $300 million earn-out in cash and stock based on the achievement of certain milestones.

http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release/facebook-to-acquire-oculus-20140325-01030

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. Re: Morning Previews Mar 19, 2014, 09:10 gray

IRL is going to look low res soon  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
24. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 18, 2014, 09:01 gray

Games processing offloaded to the Cloud = planned obsolescence + DRM.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
15. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 08:36 gray

Pigeon wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 18:46:
It's shady, but this kind of thing happens a lot....

Also, for a long time now.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/09/12

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 14, 2014, 08:58 gray

Riiiight. What could possibly go wrong? I can see it now;

QR code hack caused incorrect blood type transfusion

News Comments > DICE: No Damage from BF4 Launch; New Patch; Carrier Assault Details
14. Re: DICE: No Damage from BF4 Launch; New Patch; Carrier Assault Details Mar 7, 2014, 11:54 gray

Blake Jorgensen explained to investors that a buggy launch has not damaged the Battlefield brand, saying consumers have been "very responsive"

Well, I've bought every main Battlefield game since the original 1942, except BF4. I'm sure I'm not the only one. So there's that.

News Comments > Watch Dogs in May; New Trailer
37. Re: Watch Dogs in May; New Trailer Mar 7, 2014, 07:47 gray

ASeven wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 07:35:
And it seems dsogaming adds context to those gifs and it's as bad as it was feared it would be.

Good grief, I was really hoping that this would be a great game.

Sort of feels like A:CM where we saw an initial version with all the graphical bells and whistles before things were scaled back to meet console resource requirements.

News Comments > OnLive Undead: Announces New Services
6. Re: Into the Black Mar 6, 2014, 07:27 gray

Cloud saves are the devils work, Oh, I see you've almost completed the game! That means it's time to overwrite your save file!  

224 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo