Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for gray

Real Name gray   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 1, 2009, 12:07
Total Comments 270 (Amateur)
User ID 54867

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > The Witness Motions Sickness Patch
13. Re: The Witness Motions Sickness Patch Feb 2, 2016, 08:41 gray

Overon wrote on Feb 1, 2016, 17:08:
So view bob, developers still do that? Why?

Wait, that's intentional? /s

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Previews
22. Re: Sunday Previews Feb 1, 2016, 08:34 gray

DangerDog wrote on Jan 31, 2016, 17:37:
It really needs about six more months of refinement but that's not going to happen.

It looks like a survival game but it's really more like Borderlands.

This is the thing right here. It looks like a tactical shooter which has all sort of implications on gameplay, implications such as one shot kills and semi-believeable AI. This is how people expect tactical shooters to play. In reality it plays like Borderlands with waves of AIs coming at you. The gameplay 'jolts' you out of the environment whenever one of these gameplay elements manifests. For instance bullet sponges and AI waves is fine if you're fighting a hoard of alient insects, but when your fighting a group of human vigilantes or mercenaries your brain throws a fit when it sees this behaviour at it's so out of character.

News Comments > No Mods for The Division; PC Specs Revealed
24. Re: No Mods for The Division; PC Specs Revealed Jan 25, 2016, 09:06 gray

You need a DVD drive for this, so no digital downloads?  

News Comments > HTC Vive Preorders Next Month
22. Re: HTC Vive Pricing just announced. Jan 12, 2016, 08:30 gray

InBlack wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 02:21:
NKD wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 23:02:
Fantaz wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 23:00:
hoping it at least costs less than the ridiculously overpriced Oculus

The Rift is already being sold at a loss. There's no way HTC has been able to cut down manufacturing costs for a similar product so drastically that they can sell it even cheaper. I'd be surprised if it was under $550.

And you know this how? The Rift's hardware is basically a small display screen..thats the most expensive part. You are telling me a small 1440p cellphone screen costs more than 600$? Erm, how much is the new 1440p Samsung S6 phone? Yeah Im gonna go ahead and call bullshit on your statement there.

Actually the screen is around $100.

The founder stated that they are subsidizing the cost of the unit.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jan 11, 2016, 08:49 gray

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 08:36:
bigspender wrote on Jan 10, 2016, 23:00:
lets see someone use augmented reality to change a tyre in a rainstorm.....

Whether it rains or not makes no difference, but knowing how to do something correctly without going through trial and error can make ALL the difference in the world.

I know Kung-Fu

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month
15. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month Jan 7, 2016, 08:13 gray

Looks pretty fun to me.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday
40. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday Jan 5, 2016, 08:01 gray

Some corrections :

I'm not sure how they can overcome the fact that your visual input and your inner ear are not telling your brain the same information. Not saying I don't believe you, I just don't grok how it could NOT make you sick to be in full VR dogfight mode while your butt is firmly planted in a stationary chair.

It's actually fine in a cockpit, Elite Dangerous works well without issue (I'm very susceptible to motion sickness). When it gets tricky is when there isn't a cockpit and you are in FPV of an avatar.

My other concern would be eye strain - yeah, I've read all about how it tricks your brain into thinking it's looking into the distance, but the fact is there's still screens strapped to your face. The focal distance is still way, way inside the two to three feet that conventional wisdom has recommended you keep your monitor.

It's focused on infinity, so no strain.

The only way non-vr games would work on these is if you just ran in 3d mode, no head tracking...like wearing a set of 3d glasses.

There are lots of conversions out with head tracking. 3D glassess also don't take up a large portion of your field of view as you are still looking at a monitor from a distance.

I have a feeling that Eve Valkyrie is going to make people feel very sick with all of that spinning and looping, with no clear indication of up and down.

As above, Elite Dangerous is fine. It's first person locomotion that has issues still.

News Comments > ReCore for Windows 10 Revealed
9. Re: Star Wars Battlefront 40 Player Battle Shown Jan 5, 2016, 07:50 gray

There are alot of privacy implications unless you are using the Enterprise edition.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Nears $100M
82. Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 16, 2015, 08:27 gray

Krazy Kat wrote on Dec 12, 2015, 18:00:
Has anyone tried to watch this game on Twitch?

I have never saw a session last more than 15 minutes without crashing.

GG

Works for around two hours for me and runs well (I have a five year old card). The missions are obviously placeholders but are still fun, having multiple avatars in a single ship walking around while in flight etc is just amazing. The 'seamless' nature sets a high bar for future titles.

Edit: In beforehand, I'm a $40 backer not one of the nutters

News Comments > X Rebirth: Home of Light Announced
14. Re: X Rebirth: Home of Light Announced Dec 16, 2015, 07:49 gray

The next one has to have mulitplayer...  

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Next Year?
4. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Next Year? Dec 8, 2015, 10:16 gray

Q3 2017 confirmed  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 3, 2015, 11:28 gray

They commited product-suicide by having a built in battery & SD card. I also opted out.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: A Car Dealers Wonít Sell: Itís Electric Dec 1, 2015, 08:06 gray

InBlack wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 08:00:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 07:29:
Well.. they could make these cars actually affordable... and invent a battery that can last for 30 years.. and not just 5 ?

They are working on that. The upcoming Tesla 3 model, will cost half as much as the Tesla S. Musk has stated that his goal is to ultimately make electric cars as affordable and efficient as possible. As far as battery retention/price/power is concerned, Tesla is in the process of building the biggest battery factory in the world. Tesla also guarantees free recharges at all of its recharge stations. Musk is a smart guy, and unlike most entrepreneurs today, he seems to care a lot about things other than profit.

Also you don't need to care about replacements when you pay $50 a month and hail/schedule an automated car via mobile app.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
11. Re: Saturday Previews Nov 30, 2015, 08:49 gray

Slytat wrote on Nov 29, 2015, 00:10:
I just don't get why people don't see through this, it's so obvious that this is not legit.

Promise after promise after promise after promise but the only thing that ever materializes are more ships for more real dollars.

That 'repair ship' is $350.00 USD if I read it right.

But hey, it's your money.

Someone didn't get the memo. They've released the first edition of the Universe, it's no longer vaporware.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Nov 23, 2015, 07:52 gray

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 20, 2015, 22:31:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2015, 20:52:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 20, 2015, 17:27:
You could really put Oculus in there in some degree. How could they realistically have sold their unit if not for the buyout? That money they collected wasn't enough. They got Luckly Palmer.
OR KS only promised DK1 I think. And they delivered those before the buyout no?

I would say as a mass commercial release? Could they have?

You are thinking about Oculus as it is now.

The KS occured before the buyout, it was a guy arranging a bulk order for a DIY hmd kit he'd built in his garage that others wanted access to.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
13. Re: Saturday Previews - SC String them along update Nov 23, 2015, 07:39 gray

Bub wrote on Nov 22, 2015, 06:22:
its clear someone is paying a slew of graphic artists on highend workstations to churn out these teasers and not to forget the jpegs of ships to be sold, rather than actually say deliver a product.

They have just released the product?

News Comments > Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources
25. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 11:36 gray

Echoing the thoughts on GMG, I use them all the time vs Steam as they have better prices.  

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed No factual rebuttal to DS Nov 5, 2015, 09:37 gray

Golder wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 07:35:
Bub wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 06:54:
Fan boys of CR can only resort to slinging mud at DS, as they have no factual rebuttal to the copious damming information he provides.

That whole Gizmondo thing is very telling.

Fan boys, if you really want to 'help CR' you should buy some more jpegs of ships that will never exist in any other form, unless of course even you are starting to question if your money might bring a better return elsewhere.
I didn't even buy the game but there's something fishy going on between DS and CR and airing your dirty laundry in public like this helps no one, neither DS, neither CR and none of the supporters of both parties.
my 2cents

I actually wanted to read this as I've not read any of the other posts, but it's just so sensationalised I can't get through it. If the case is so damning simply stating the facts would suffice.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 3, 2015, 10:20 gray

ZeroPike1 wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 13:06:
HP is a joke. Even back in the day there was not very much love for HP from me. Once I got a custom built PC from a local computer store I never looked back. And Carly Fiorinaís business sense to ride a sinking ship into the water to save it was brilliant. HP branding is that of an office machine at best. And in this market you can get bare-bones hardware off newegg and make your own office PC's for cheaper.

Uh, HP are the market leader for blade and server chassis.

HP continues to lead in the worldwide server market by revenue. HP is the undisputed #1 in worldwide revenue for the 6th consecutive quarter.

From the #1 position HP grew total server revenue at a rate of 7.7% year-over-year. HPís worldwide revenue share was 25.4% with a gap of 7.9 percentage points with #2, Dell.
HP gained more server revenue, year over year, than Cisco, Dell, IBM, Oracle and the ODM direct category.

For more than 13 consecutive years, 53 straight quarters, HP is the #1 vendor in worldwide server shipments.

HP shipped more than 4 servers per minute on average in the 2nd calendar quarter of 2015.

Sauce

Gartner Chart

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 2015, 10:25.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 3, 2015, 09:40 gray

Wow, so much misinformation.

It's been three years because it came about as a group of guys on a forum all making their own hmds when one decided to run a kickstarter for his design;

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=14777

You would never normally see a draft design concept for a commercial product. There would be a year or so of ramping up marketing by now if that.

The concept has been waiting for display technology to catch up, panels created for use in phones are not suitable for good VR. Certain panels are better than others but they all have issues. It's taken this long and an aquisition of Oculus by Facebook for big players (Samsung/HTC/Sony) to come on board and develop custom made panels for VR.

In the age of mobile technology people are used to Agile development and rapid release schedules. None of that applies to designing, manufactoring (building new facilities for a brand new type of hardware product!) and then figuring out how to distribute your hardware globally. I think they've done quite admirably to go from a guy (kid) in his garage three years ago to be on the cusp of the delivering a consumer product by a $290bn company.

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 2015, 10:00.

270 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo