Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 1420 (Pro)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > QUAKE LIVE Going Standalone; Linux and OS X Support Ending
5. Re: QUAKE LIVE Going Standalone; Linux and OS X Support Ending Nov 8, 2013, 22:42 MoreLuckThanSkill

Did something happen to Quake 3 or something? Why would anyone play this crippled version (Quake Live) when Q3 is still around, with more content And apparently more OS support? Wasn't the Quake 3 source released awhile back?

I did not understand the Quake LIVE experiment at all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Nov 5, 2013, 12:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

Dmitri_M wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 11:40:
Somehow you guys find a way to criticize this man?

It's more like constructive criticism, I literally fear for his health. Same way I look at any morbidly obese person. I am sure that sounds dickish, but I used to be one of those guys about 10 years ago, until I got off my ass and started exercising regularly.

Especially since this guy is obviously a great human being; that rescue literally brought a tear to my eye, and the human race is probably going to lose this man to a heart attack/stroke etc. in 5-10 years.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Patch Next Week
1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Next Week Nov 5, 2013, 11:29 MoreLuckThanSkill

I really should get around to buying this, it sounds like there is a ton of content. The free weekend was pretty interesting, at least from a casual single player perspective for me. However, a grand prize of a 3D printed guitar? Lol!

Why not just say: "here is 20 cents worth of resin, marked up to thousands of dollars because 3D printing is all the rage right now."

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Known Issues
53. Re: Battlefield 4 Known Issues Nov 5, 2013, 07:35 MoreLuckThanSkill

Redmask wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 07:28:
You can't instakill choppers or jets with tank shells anymore because the shots do percentage damage to airborne vehicles, it was one of the lamer beta changes that convinced me that the game wasn't for me. One of my favorite things in the previous game was nailing idiots in the sky with the tank. The ammo system for tanks was too limiting and needed to be adjusted too. Vehicles just needed no health regen for balance purposes, the ammo system was unnecessary.

Well, I mentioned transport choppers in particular, because tank shells definitely 1 shot kill Attack and Scout choppers, and possibly the ground attack jet. I know I've 1-shotted the aforementioned choppers, but no telling if the jet was damaged. I'll try out the Test Range at some point, I guess, to get a better idea of straight damage numbers.

The clip system for the tanks is still annoying as hell, but I think I've gotten used to it, mostly. Autoloader helps, as does holding fire until you have a REALLY good angle. It still seems like overkill to me as well, but I am going to keep playing. It's still a ton of fun in the tanks.

*EDIT* Grammar/typo

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2013, 11:31.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Nov 5, 2013, 06:33 MoreLuckThanSkill

I watched this video off of Videosift earlier, I swear I was verklempt as a young Dick Vermeil winning an NFL game.

Excellent work by the bus driver, but I also kept thinking, this man seriously needs to lose some weight, that is NOT healthy.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Known Issues
51. Re: Battlefield 4 Known Issues Nov 5, 2013, 06:28 MoreLuckThanSkill

Some feedback: the November 4th patch and/or Nov 3rd server patch seems to have fixed the stuttering/crashing issues most people/servers have been experiencing with Golmud Railroad and the non-flood Dam map, hooray!

Golmud Railroad is quickly turning into my favorite map in BF4; it's armor heavy, three helos, two jets, 7 cap points, and so far almost every round played on it for me turns into a mad scramble of capping and running tank/apc battles. Also the skies are clear enough for me to snipe down choppers and jets with the tank, although there is enough armor on both sides to make it risky to use up your ammo on lower percentage shots. I'm really liking the speed of the BF4 tanks, it somewhat makes up for their hampered ammo system and makes circling to get a rear panel shot a lot more feasible.

Not sure if people are instantly repairing, but it seems like the transport helos do NOT get instantly killed by either a Tank cannon round, nor a SMAW/RPG round... annoying change for sure. I hit a transport chopper with two RPG rounds in a row the other day, and they were able to recover and fly off. Ridiculous. Although it was full so there were probably repairs.

Smoke/Flares on tanks and other vehicles seem to work less than 30% of the time, as far as disrupting any sort of lock-on. The only real defense seems to be to try to get behind a boulder or something but the default missile launcher will break the laws of physics to still hit you most of the time.

News Comments > Game Reviews
15. Re: Game Reviews Nov 3, 2013, 17:31 MoreLuckThanSkill

nin wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 14:55:

Same here. I guess I'll just wait for it to drop to $20, for the SP portion.

NO! The single player is horrible. The only good aspect is that it is short, about 2-3 hours of content.

Wait a month or two, let the server issues and particular map issues get patched out, then maybe try it. The multiplayer has the potential to be great... it's already great WHEN it works. It's infuriating when you crash out and lose all the progress/exp.

*EDIT*

APC Does decent damage vs infantry with either one of the main cannon upgrades, Zunni rockets seem to be an utter joke vs armor though, forcing you to stick with the wire guided missile. Currently I'm liking the second main cannon upgrade for APCs, the ADPTS whatever high speed armor piercing round. Makes headshots on infantry doable, does ok damage vs armor and air.

Support class LMGs are tolerable, not my cup of tea, particularly since Recon gets C4 now. No incentive for me personally to play Support, aside from unlocking the basic requirements (ammo box, etc.)

I had about 10 chopper kills in a row with a tank in one round the other day, Sabot main gun rounds = required. I was ALMOST feeling sorry for those damned chopper pilots.

Still crashing though, in spite of the patch. Urge to rage quit is slowly rising. I'm leveling my PoE characters in the meantime.

*EDIT*

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 2013, 17:37.

5. Re: Game Reviews Nov 2, 2013, 21:37 MoreLuckThanSkill

siapnar wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 20:25:
In the beta I got infuriated with how many shots infantry could take from vehicle MG's. Absolutely ludicrous how much you'd have to hit them. Sometimes even 15 shots from one.
Sounds like the issue persists.

Well, LMG on the tank is definitely too weak. HMG on the tank chews people up in 2-4 shots pretty reliably. It's also practically laser accurate and doesn't overheat, making it a required upgrade to me. The MAA cannons also seem way to weak vs infantry, but this is overkill left over from the BF3 nerf, it seems. It may change, and the 30mm upgrade is a LOT better than the default cannon vs infantry. Only issue not fixed by upgrades so far is the APC cannon, which can't kill infantry for shit, forcing me to waste rockets on them half the time. It would be fine if the cannon actually killed armor, but it's a joke there as well. Not sure what DICE intended for the APC to do besides suppress people.

The dust version of Shanghai, after the building falls, is definitely annoying. My least favorite level morph by far. The maps are definitely on the smaller side, seems to be a byproduct of the insane amount of geometry and usable buildings on most of the maps. DICE chose complexity over giant BF1942 style maps, and I can't blame them totally. I remember plenty of times spent in BF1942 just driving or flying around for a few minutes to even find anyone. Of course in BF4, the other extreme is present; you are tripping over people constantly, it seems.

*EDIT* Hrm forgot to mention, I do have an APC unlock, tungsten ball ammo, for the APC cannon, that supposedly demolishes infantry. I haven't tried it, been too busy playing around with the tanks. Maybe it's as good as the description indicates, I'll check later.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2013, 21:44.

3. Re: Game Reviews Nov 2, 2013, 19:11 MoreLuckThanSkill

BF4... oh how great you could have been, and may yet be.

Currently there are connection issues, which seem to be entirely server side, as well as stuttering/lag issues, regardless of the client(s) hardware. There was a patch yesterday that was supposed to fix/address this, but the same issues are still there currently.

Two of the more vehicle heavy maps (The Railroad map and the non-flood Dam map) seem to have bugs that cause the sound to cut out, especially when you are in a tank, making it extremely hard to survive as you will not hear any lock-on warnings, etc.

However, aside from those issues, which are pretty substantial, the game so far has been hilarious and really enjoyable. Commander mode is a little bland on most maps(that don't have cruise missiles) and you do not have access to team chat/voice comm, which is unforgiveable, in my opinion. I assume that's because of the whole tablet-Commander 'feature,' but maybe there is an option somewhere to enable text chat, who knows.

Headshots are rewarded, which is good, but body shots seem to be penalized heavy in BF4, compared to BF3. This is really evident with the vehicle mounted MGs, which seem to take an inordinate amount of shots if you don't hit the head, to kill infantry.

I was initially worried tanks were nerfed too much, and while they are definitely weaker in BF4 than in BF3 because of the clip/reload system, the ugprades help out a great deal. Coaxial HMG, Sabot rounds for main gun, Autoloader and Smoke, and I'm going on 25kill streaks in tanks without a lot of difficulty. Shooting down aircraft is a LOT easier in BF4, with the higher speed sabot rounds, at least for me, and infantry die almost as quickly to the HMG in BF4 as in BF3.

As far as on foot, Assault class weapons utterly dominate at medium-long range, to the point of absurdity. The engineer carbines are ok in comparison, but you won't win many head to head fights vs a decent Assault player. PDW engineer weapons are great at close range but useless everywhere else. Sniping seems to be stronger in this game as well, because of flatter firing arcs on almost every gun(aside from the HE tank shell). I have not yet played Support class.

MAA is definitely weaker, akin to a post-nerf BF3 MAA vs infantry, with possibly even less damage to aircraft as well, although both sides' vehicles have more accurracy than the BF3 versions.

Helicopters are easier to control, and fun to fly in between all the skyscrapers on most maps. They seem more responsive also.

Jets... still overpowered in the hands of a great pilot, a little useless with new/mediocre pilots due to all the anti-air and obstacles to be avoided.

The boats all seem to have at least 1 minigun, along with missiles/cannons, making them a real danger to any aircraft or infantry. To make up for it they are all glass cannons, which seems balanced so far.

APCs should do more damage to infantry in my opinion, you can easily waste 12 shots of 20mm cannon on ONE infantry due to the spread and shake of the vehicle, making headshots much harder than from tanks.

Vehicle vs vehicle damage in general on the ground is WAY down, tank battles take forever unless you totally ambush an opponent and get a 90degree shot on the back panel.

All that said, I'm enjoying BF4 immensely when I can stay connected, and cursing DICE when I get disconnected/the server crashes when I am on a roll.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Nov 2, 2013, 14:25 MoreLuckThanSkill

Why are people suddenly protesting this? Especially for an indie/converted mod release... as you guys said, other games, especially AAA games such as Dead Space 2, not only used zombie kids but zombie babies, if you want to get specific, with no protests.

Separate fiction from reality.

All that said, ugh another zombie game.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed
18. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 11:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

Only played a bit of BF4 so far, but it seems to be a bit more sluggish than BF3, although still playable. Framerates seem to be around 50-60fps with pretty much everything turned on except Motion Blur.

Radeon 7970 3GB
Intel i860 2.8ghz
6GB(2gb is out, needing replacement)
Corsair 512GB Neutron SSD
Windows 7

I'm sure I could get a constant 70+ fps if I turned off everything, but that would be sacrilege.

Also, I do get repeated warnings from BF4/Battlelog to update my Catalyst drivers to 13.9+, I'll try that when I get home from work.

PS. Tanks are horribly nerfed(clip system), every single other thing in the game seems to have gotten a buff, it's mind boggling. Although it's too early to tell for sure, early on balance seems to be skewed away from tanks to airpower definitely, as well as RPG infantry.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
7. Re: Saturday Previews Oct 27, 2013, 00:10 MoreLuckThanSkill

All the Diablo 3 hate aside, I am still interested in the proposed Loot 2.0/Reaper of Souls changes. Admitting the AH was a major part of the problem, at least that drops are tailored to the AH's existence.

I've been playing PoE on and off since beta, and now in retail, it still feels like the loot situation in that game is even worse than Diablo 3. I especially dislike their decision to buff drops in multiplayer and/or nerf them in solo. Uggggh...

On the plus side, the passives tree for PoE seems much improved. Now if only I could get decent item/skill gem drops before level 50 or so on any guy, I'd be set.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Double XP Weekend
12. Re: Battlefield 3 Double XP Weekend Oct 26, 2013, 22:57 MoreLuckThanSkill

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 19:12:
I'm officially committed as well, considering I just spent 2 hours fine-tuning my server settings and map rotations, linking the server to the tracker, and announcing the server on my pages.

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/66.55.137.189:30000/

Server info, btw.

Hrm, I'll check your server out post-release, although I am not generally a fan of Hardcore, purely because I end up getting TK'd so damn much on pubs. Orange Dorito over my head? Ok, as long as my teammates can't blow up my tank.

Also, it figures that there was a BF4 sale right as/just after I bought it.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Double XP Weekend
5. Re: Battlefield 3 Double XP Weekend Oct 26, 2013, 18:06 MoreLuckThanSkill

I am officially committed to BF4 now. Upgraded to a Corsair 512gb Neutron, bought BF4/Premium, preloaded. BF3 seems to be a bit skewed right now, everybody is either a veteran or seemingly brand new. Every map is a blowout. Some of it is probably rusty people coming back also.

Only a few days to start whining about weaker tanks in BF3 in earnest though, hooray!

News Comments > Monaco Adds Free Content
4. Re: Monaco Adds Free Content Oct 22, 2013, 12:03 MoreLuckThanSkill

$6 ? Time to buy, I have been putting it off on the wishlist for awhile now.

Damned Steam sales... I will most likely die before I complete all of these games.

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Oct 19, 2013, 22:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

I got Bioshock Infinite for free with my video card, months ago. I have yet to finish it... I just don't find it that enjoyable. The console checkpoint save system is a large factor there, but only 2 guns and some crap powers is also an issue.

Bioshock 1, and yes, even Bioshock 2 were better.

News Comments > Evening Previews
1. Re: Evening Previews Oct 18, 2013, 23:51 MoreLuckThanSkill

I'm ambivalent about the achievements personally, but if they encourage teamwork on pub servers, hooray!

The unlock system is a plague upon modern fps games, but what can you do... I am addicted to driving tanks.

News Comments > Arkham Games Ditch GFWL
43. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 10:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ugh, Fallout 3 had GFWL? It's been awhile since I've played through that, I had forgotten. Hopefully that gets patched out before I get another roaming the wasteland urge.

Also, need to speed up my Dark Souls/DoW 2 playthroughs; damn you, bargain Steam sales!

News Comments > Blizzard All-Stars Now Heroes of the Storm
2. Re: Blizzard All-Stars Now Heroes of the Storm Oct 17, 2013, 22:25 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ugh... I know MOBAs are the current big thing, but this is just embarassing. Surely we have hit a saturation point where there literally aren't enough MOBA players left for all these new games?

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Beta Changes
3. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Changes Oct 16, 2013, 20:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ah, phew, I thought I my aim was just getting horrible in my old age:

-Fixed an issue where the tank main gun did not correctly hit the center of the crosshair at all times.

also, thank Odin:

-RPG7 and SMAW can no longer lock on to Laser Designated Targets. It was inauthentic and not balanced.

Now, just remove the clip system from tank main guns, and this will be a clear upgrade across the board to BF3. (unless there is a perk to do this, haven't played a ton of BF4 beta)

1420 Comments. 71 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo