Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 1150 (Pro)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer
8. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 28, 2012, 13:57 MoreLuckThanSkill

Trevellian wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 13:17:
I have high hopes for it, but only because Borderlands 2 proved they had learned their lesson on the PC as far as interface and graphics options. That and they have some of the best drop in drop out gameplay on Steamworks with BL2 and are supposedly sticking with that system for this Aliens game. I'm ready to go bug hunting for sure.

...are you being sarcastic? The Borderlands 2 PC interface was STILL horrible. Not quite as bad as BL1, but close. It was basically the console interface ported over. Last I checked it still has bugs if you scroll fast through the inventory. Are you playing with a gamepad or something?

On top of that the multiplayer was buggy for quite some time after release in BL2, it's somewhat tolerable now, but they still had the port issue right after release.

More on topic: This game looks like it would have been great, if they hadn't gone with off canon aliens, and a 4 player limit. Oh well. Bargain bin at best.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
27. Re: On Sale Dec 24, 2012, 15:45 MoreLuckThanSkill

Dev wrote on Dec 24, 2012, 14:30:
Did you check a few days ago when they started the sale? They had a 1 day special, 75% off of a bunch of bundles. Now they are re-running each bundle for 1 day. All the other normal sale titles are 50% off.
If its not the day a specific bundle you want is on sale, I suggest waiting until the last day of sales (just like steam). They may well re-do the all bundles on sale in 1 day sale at the end.

Yeah, I am just biding my time now, waiting for the BG series sale. I wonder if they got some pressure from Beamdog to avoid any sort of sale though, so Beamdog can push their BG:EE version some more. <tinfoil hat>

In the meantime I'm playing through the Icewind Dale series, refreshing my memory a bit on the IE games. I'm leaning towards a complete BG series run in January, with a Berserker eventually dual classed to Thief. No Kensai/Mage or Ranger/Cleric cheese here. Just some 5x with Crom Faeyr 25STR backstab cheese.

ps. Valygar should be a Wizard Slayer, Minsc should be a Berserker, Inquisitor is an overpowered class, discuss.

News Comments > On Sale
25. Re: On Sale Dec 24, 2012, 14:30 MoreLuckThanSkill

It was in the news earlier, and I assume most of you guys know, but basically everything on gog.com is on sale right now, except for BG1/BG2. (Those devious gog bastards!)

I've purchased probably 20 classics so far, and gotten another 10 or so freebies on Gog... those jokers better not go out of business or get bought out, Impulse style.

Sale ends January 3rd, aka CDProjekt has 10 days to put the Baldur's Gate series on sale so I can complete my DRM free classic collection.

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2012, 18:40 MoreLuckThanSkill

Dev wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 18:22:
Its priced appropriately for the niche market they cater to (which isn't PC gamers). And the zombies DLC got enough crossover demographics that they made a special edition of the train simulator with the zombie DLC integrated.
Thats on sale for $9 right now.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/222540/

That's a classic pusher move, giving you the first one free, or cheap in this case.

Several hundred dollars worth of virtual trains later as you kneel in the smoking ruins of your games budget, in classic Platoon pose, arms upraised, yelling at the gods as the viet cong shoot you from the trees, we'll look back on these posts and wonder if this could have all have been avoided.

*EDIT* typo.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 17:44 MoreLuckThanSkill

1) Never doubt Zelazny.

2) Joe Abercrombie's First Law series is actually pretty damned good. As are his offshoot works in that same universe.

3) Major Outbreak of Sluts and Useless Invention, those are possibly the best two comedic videos I've ever seen linked on Bluesnews, gg.

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2012, 17:35 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 16:11:
So it's worth $960.00? Shocked

Remember to scale down to 1600s prices. So mayhap a few shillings, a farthing, and your meanest haypenny. Or barter for several squirrel skins and scraps of buck.

Also, Train Simulator, guys? Don't give into that crazily priced game(DLC prices.)

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Dec 23, 2012, 15:25 MoreLuckThanSkill

I glanced at this topic and felt a stab of fear in my heart, thinking: "oh no, Project Eternity is a sham!"

Then I realized that they literally mean Black Isle, aka the current, false, Black Isle. Obsidian is safely toiling away on Project Eternity. All is well.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2012, 15:23 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 13:22:
Anno 2070 is on for 20 clams atm. Hrmmmmmmmmmm....I really don't want to pay more than 10 bones for it...but I do want it...yet at this rate it won't be on for 10 sheckels at least until next Xmas at this rate. Oh well, 48 hours to decide I reckon.

Stay strong, wait for the price to drop to a dozen pieces of eight, or less.

I on the other hand, finally gave in and bought the Dawn of War franchise, for the DoW 2 games. They are sacrilege in the realm of RTS of course, but 10 bucks, I was practically forced to.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 07:58 MoreLuckThanSkill

I am amazed no one has brought up our (soon to be) Supersonic Bear Overlords.

Oh wait, heartless imported Nazi scientists(remember, it's the 1950s) euthanized all the bears shortly afterwards. Merry Christmas!

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale
33. Re: Play It Forward 2012 Dec 20, 2012, 15:52 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, the Steam Holiday sale... and so begins the waiting game. Will they finally drop Skyrim below the 10 dollar mark? Will I(and other cheapskates) be able to wait it out!?

Steam sale is actually getting a little bit of competition this year for my bargain game dollars from gog.com, which is a nice change. Everything on gog seems to be on sale except the Baldur's Gate series, which is downright diabolical of gog.com.

ps. Yes I already own cd versions of all the Infinity Engine games, but my BG2 cds especially are worn out and chipped. Time to switch to pure digital format.

News Comments > Black Isle Fundraiser
14. Re: Black Isle Fundraiser Dec 20, 2012, 15:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

Kajetan wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 13:31:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 12:31:
Soo... has the Kickstarter bubble officially burst yet or what?

Don't get me wrong, I donated to Grim Dawn and Project Eternity, but Kickstarters seem to be headed downhill at a breakneck pace these days.
This "special" project has nothing to do with Kickstarter. Kickstarter is only one of several crowdfunding plattforms. And "Crowdfunding" is the term you might want to use. And no, there is nothing going downhill at a breakneck pace these days. Not even the world. Only the usual internet hyperbole

Hrm yeah, Crowdfunding would have been a better choice. Upon further review, Blue even wrote "differs from Kickstarters..." Basically I shouldn't post as soon as I wake up.

ps. The world is always going to hell in a handbasket though.

News Comments > Black Isle Fundraiser
10. Re: Black Isle Fundraiser Dec 20, 2012, 12:31 MoreLuckThanSkill

Soo... has the Kickstarter bubble officially burst yet or what?

Don't get me wrong, I donated to Grim Dawn and Project Eternity, but Kickstarters seem to be headed downhill at a breakneck pace these days.

News Comments > PC Resident Evil 6 in March
2. Re: PC Resident Evil 6 in March Dec 18, 2012, 00:17 MoreLuckThanSkill

Yeah,this series has gone way downhill, and it didn't start that high up in the first place.

I did like RE4, I'll admit, but I got RE5 on one of those 2.99 sales awhile back, and I'm struggling to find the desire to finish it. The controls are the toughest opponent in the game by far.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2012, 01:44 MoreLuckThanSkill

I am amazed this thread got to post 28 before somebody mentioned Michelle Jenneke.

She's hot. Also because of that video, I now need to buy some nunchuks with which to eat pancakes.

News Comments > Dead Space 3 Trailer
3. Re: Dead Space 3 Trailer Dec 14, 2012, 00:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

Dammit, this is pretty much a required buy for me. I loved Dead Space 1, and lost my shit over Dead Space 2.

Part of me wants to bash them for doing coop in a survival horror(ok not as survival horror as Amnesia, but leaning that direction) game, but the rest of me rationalizes I can play it both solo and with a few other Dead Space addicts I know, so no loss.

Only drawback so far really, seems to be the usual pre-order and/or store specific bullshit item scams that they're going to be doing.

Let's hope the DRM isn't out of control either...

News Comments > Killing Floor Twisted Christmas III
1. Re: Killing Floor Twisted Christmas III Dec 13, 2012, 11:53 MoreLuckThanSkill

Not bad, but these guys need to stop milking KF and get to work on KF2, if they aren't already.

Killing Floor is pretty fun but it's repetitive enough that everybody I know who played it has quit and sworn it off for good. A few changes(improvements) in mechanics and some new maps in a KF2 would be welcome, Tripwire!

Number 1 issue in KF currently: money system encourages competition for kills, not teamwork. Yes you can share money but few do on pubs, and it's cumbersome in its implementation.

News Comments > StarCraft II Heart of the Swarm Beta Patch
1. Re: StarCraft II Heart of the Swarm Beta Patch Dec 5, 2012, 19:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

Yawn. SC2 should have been great, it ended up mediocre. Story of Blizzard's recent life?

News Comments > Elemental - Fallen Enchantress Map Pack
4. Re: Elemental - Fallen Enchantress Map Pack Dec 5, 2012, 19:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

I bought this game during the 50% or whatever Steam sale, and I've actually been playing the hell out of it. It's a lot of fun, but I can see it being a bit of a steep climb at first for some players.

You MUST make expansions with pioneers, quickly, while using your hero and a few other units (in ONE army, so they have a chance) to steamroll all the nearby easy monsters. Once you have some kills, and the experience/levels and gear they drop, it'll be dramatically easier. Magic seems inordinately cost inefficient early, and it is, but once you get some cities up(from pioneers) you can cast a few offensive spells per tactical battle.

From there it's all downhill, you can keep expanding, researching increase in Army size and Army bonuses, along with a few civic improvements, keep taking on tougher groups of monsters and annexing more shards etc. Get into trade agreements with similar Race/Group civilizations, avoid opposing civilizations. The main choice: Kingdom or Empire, which basically means Life or Death magic respectively in E:FE.

All of my games so far have taken about 7-10 hours, because movement is a bit slow in this game off the roads.

This game reminds me a bit of Sins of a Solar Empire, in that it greatly benefits you to have 1 or 2 major armies/fleets, which you use constantly, and lesser armies/fleets to do mundane tasks like destroy unguarded outposts/shards etc. Experience and loot ramp up considerably.

I recommend making your own civilization once you have played a game or two, it's far better than the default 8 civilizations to have specific setups. I'm leaning towards Kingdom, Archers, Master Smiths, Free Champion Hiring, with a Fire/Life or Air/Life Hero as primary. Melee and Ranged champions are all over the place, but good caster heroes seem impossible to find. Late game, of course, magic rules all, aside from Dragons.

Also, avoid war and just expand at first. The AI rarely seems to initiate conflict unless you repeatedly go into their territory, if you are anywhere near the same size civilization. Then, steamroll a nearby civilization, take all their cities, expand until you bump up against the next civilization, etc.

Well worth the 20 bucks to me so far, but back on Topic, screw buying map packs.

PS. The game seriously needs ways to bump up old veteran units to the late game unit status, ie. early game 3 man archer groups promoted to 7 man Companies late game. This is required in my opinion, because the max size of an army is so small, you have no choice but to disband your veteran archers and replace them with companies late game. 7 Rookie Archers +late game tech >> 3 'veteran' archers, 90% of the time.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround
19. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Nov 30, 2012, 14:09 MoreLuckThanSkill

Creston wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 13:55:
It baffles me how Ubisoft can keep having these fucking server issues. Do you croissant-eating morons really not TEST your fucking servers before you start having customers ping against them?

Unbelievable.

Creston

Whoa. WHOA. Let's not bring croissants into this, they are blameless!

News Comments > Gollop on X-COM Remake
20. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 14:10 MoreLuckThanSkill

I played through the new X-Com once on Classic, have no real urge to play it again until they sort out the mod situation in a way beneficial to the end users/modders.

This game isn't bad, but the simplifications and outright removal of what I'd consider 'basic' X-Com features pissed me off. I do feel as though we could end up with a truly amazing game if they just opened it up to modders, to let them crank it more in the direction of the original X-Com.

1) Base Attacks
2) Far better inventory system
3) Better panic system for nations
4) Less of a "required build path" for the base
5) Bigger shuttle/More Marines and Robots on a mission
6) Less of the global upgrade of all enemy units, preventing you from responding to some requests from Nations for items/bodies from certain alien species
7) Ability to intercept terror/abduction attacks

Mods do some of the above, but you have to take steam offline, etc. It's a huge hassle to me, when there is so much else to play.

1150 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo