Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 1245 (Pro)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > UK Sales Charts
4. Re: UK Sales Charts Jun 17, 2013, 18:00 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, that's some crazy praise, and on this jaded gamers' forum? !?

I do own a PC, I'll keep an eye on the prices for this game. A few too many games on my plate already, but if it's that amazing I'll add it eventually.

*EDIT* err, I own a PS3, in addition to a PC.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2013, 14:11.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dota 2 This Summer
17. Re: Dota 2 This Summer Jun 17, 2013, 15:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

Xero wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 14:18:
I feel like DOTA's concept was Warcraft 3 for idiots. It lets you play and focus in on the hero aspect without all that micro control in between. I loved Warcraft 3 to death but honestly cannot find enough fun in controlling JUST a hero. Wc3 had the perfect balance of hero/unit/base building. Controlling just a hero is fun...once in a while.

This sums up the DotA genre nicely, although it probably sounds harsh. On the other end of the spectrum, Supreme Commander Forged Alliance has been on sale a couple of times this year already, for those of you who still don't have it.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion EMEA Release
4. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion EMEA Release Jun 17, 2013, 15:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 13:31:
Anyone get this? What's it like? I dig most 4Xers, but I don't like the insanely deep micromanaging some of that type have...

SoaSE Rebellion is one of my favorite games, and the micro requirement is pretty low to be honest. As NegaDeath said, all the game systems are pretty straightforward, you can only build so many structures on any planet/location, research trees are pretty obvious and very few research items have any serious negative tradeoffs. The biggest concern in research is time required, and order of need.

Great micro will benefit you, particularly vs human players, if you can coordinate a couple attacks simultaneously on different systems while building up your planets, but you can get along with horrible micro pretty easily. Bare minimum requirement is targeting Capital ship/Titan abilities, but even these can mostly be set to autocast.

Macromanagement concerns aren't that overwhelming either in my opinion. Build up Defenses at choke point worlds, manage your economy, manage crystal/metal supplies, bribe or fight pirates.

This game has been on sale on Steam a couple times now, I recommend you(the plural you, for all of humanity ) check it out with the next sale at the very least.

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha
23. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 00:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

ugh, people really are buying this 90 dollar version. Steam is for the SALES, people, not paying extra.

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha
19. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 14, 2013, 23:54 MoreLuckThanSkill

Dev wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 22:57:
And yet this is the 3rd best selling item on steam right now, ahead of skyrim.

Where are you getting that data?

This indicates otherwise?

Although maybe there is a more up to date list somewhere...

News Comments > RIFT Free-to-Play Begins
1. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Begins Jun 12, 2013, 22:03 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, assuming there isn't some utter nonsense like no storage space or whatever without the cash shop, I may finally try Rift.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Trailers
20. Re: Battlefield 4 Trailers Jun 11, 2013, 07:33 MoreLuckThanSkill

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 06:14:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 23:57:
And graphically it doesn't seem all that different from BF3...
My thoughts exactly, looked the same as BF3.
I am sure there are changes to the destruction model and what not but this game here wowed me in terms of graphics and destruction model: http://youtu.be/F5k7LUcphmw

BF4 not so much, but I am sure it will be a fun game to play anyways.

The Division, first I've heard of that game, looks pretty interesting. Too bad it's Ubisoft, so I am sure the DRM will be ridiculous.

I am not sure why you guys are bashing this BF4 video so much, it's obviously a semi-scripted demo of the map and some new multiplayer aspects, not a raw multiplayer gameplay video. It looks awesome, by the way. Knife kill counter, vehicles spawning from other vehicles(the jet skis), the scale of the destructible skyskraper, Commander-artillery, seemingly toned down flashlight/laser, etc.

Not sure how lame it'll be on an actual server for people to blow up portions of the roads and trap tanks like that, but I have seen enough of BF4 to at least get me interested.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 9, 2013, 17:13 MoreLuckThanSkill

So. The waiting game begins anew... for Skyrim Legendary Edition to drop down to around 9.99.  

News Comments > "Major" Path of Exile Patch Next Week
10. Re: Jun 1, 2013, 10:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ooh, nice. I have been playing this beta on and off, but the loot system up until now has made me want to avoid public groups. Preset loot rules will help out a lot.

A respec will help too since most of my builds are laughable.

News Comments > One Billion Hours of BF3
3. Re: One Billion Hours of BF3 May 25, 2013, 17:28 MoreLuckThanSkill

This headline isn't that surprising, I've been playing BF3 on and off since release, and I have just broken 220 hours. However I have seen several people with over Three THOUSAND hours, and one guy so far with over four thousand. Over a thousand hours seems to be quite common for the level 100 Colonels.

I don't see how people even have the free time to do that sort of thing, even if you are too young to have to work at a real job, that seems mind boggling.

BF3 multiplayer is still great; tanks, tank destroyers, mobile AA are still addictive as hell to me to use, and with a new HD 7970 3gb, I can actually play infantry on the Aftermath maps with a decent framerate.

The game has numerous flaws, but nothing that prevents random Conquest pubs from being insane amounts of fun, honestly. The cheaters seem to stick mostly to TDM and Metro stat whoring.

News Comments > Diablo III XP Boost
7. Re: Diablo III XP Boost May 16, 2013, 03:54 MoreLuckThanSkill

eRe4s3r wrote on May 16, 2013, 03:29:

I wish there was a way to "change" a single attribute stat on a legendary item. I found SKORN (a super expensive mega damage dealing 2h weapon, most mages use it to get crit damage up to 300% (which basically means, you do millions of hp of damage with certain skill configurations) but it rolled with fucking 320+ dexterity , the one stat NO CLASS CAN USE (that uses 2h weapons)...

For the record, a Monk can easily use that. 2h Monks aren't bad at all. Of course there is no point in playing D3 again until at least patch 1.09, or whenever they actually implement the new itemization.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews May 10, 2013, 11:43 MoreLuckThanSkill

Holy SHIT. How have I not heard of this?

Road Rash was one of my favorite games on the Genesis.

These guys also mentioned influence from Rocket Jockey, a CLASSIC(to me ) pc game!

Nice, the Kickstarter is already funded too, at least for their base goal.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced
2. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 10:14 MoreLuckThanSkill

Soo... alternate history and/or time travel here, I guess?

Seeing as how BJ Blazkowicz has literally killed Hitler in the Wolf games like 3 times, not to mention killed millions of German soldiers single-handedly, and now all of a sudden it's 1960.

Still, I'll take a look at in-game footage when it's available.

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Theater of War Details
2. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Theater of War Details Apr 30, 2013, 07:49 MoreLuckThanSkill

deadgoon wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 22:28:
Boi-oi-oi-oing! The crew at relic did a fine job on the previous incarnations (including the w40k series). This should not disappoint!

Mmmm... sort of. Opinions will differ of course, but I thought DoW 2 was trash, and CoH's cover mechanics/hard counters made for boring gameplay. DoW1 was great, Homeworld 1 and 2 were great, but Relic has been moving away from those games for years now. I think CoH 2 will be a disappointment to their actual RTS fans.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 25, 2013, 00:15 MoreLuckThanSkill

J wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 12:44:
That's why I always use the DVD rewinder.

When I read "New Verizon Security Report Finds A Growing Number Of Attacks By China's Hacker Army." the first thing I thought of was Command & Conquer: Generals. Is that bad?

Not at all, that's exactly what came to mind for me as well, "hacked by Chinese" in a horribly done accent.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Commander Mode Rumors
16. Re: Battlefield 4 Commander Mode Rumors Apr 25, 2013, 00:09 MoreLuckThanSkill

Rea1One wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 23:58:
Commander was needed in Bad Company, Bad Company 2 & Battlefield 3, so hopefully its true and its here to stay, also they need to make the squads bigger like in BF2 & BF2142.

Commander is definitely nice in an organized setting, but surely I wasn't the only one who played BF2 on pubs and had complete shitheels get in the Commander slot and ruin matches, either on my team or the opposition?

Bigger squad would be nice, but I think DICE is set on 4 player squads as a balance measure.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Commander Mode Rumors
14. Re: Battlefield 4 Commander Mode Rumors Apr 24, 2013, 20:57 MoreLuckThanSkill

I hope Commander mode is optional, it's a good way to ruin a pub game even more than the usual trolls blowing up your team's vehicles, etc.

As far as Scope glint, hopefully DICE removes the insane lens flare effect from the sun first. You can avoid scope glint yourself by using smaller scopes/no scope.

All that said, nothing shown so far as far as actual BF4 footage is making me want to migrate from BF3 at this point. Single player campaign is meaningless, especially if it doesn't unlock any multiplayer weapons or even have the same weapon/vehicle physics, ala BF3's singe player.

News Comments > "Strong Possibility" Relic to Make Dawn of War 3
7. Re: Apr 23, 2013, 11:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

Creston wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 10:57:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 10:26:
I still fire up DoW1 (Dark Crusade) and play through it every now and then, with mods.

Can I ask which mods you are using?

Creston

I prefer DoW XP v4.5 (last official Dark Crusade version) the most, because the Imperial Guard and Space Marine addons are ridiculously cool. Imperial Guard regular rifles are a bit weak(and same for Tau) in this version though, I really need to get around to using the DoW mod programs to fix a couple values. There is a Soulstorm version of DoW XP also, version 6.0, but it feels completely broken to me.

Dow XP is a nice mod because it works in the campaigns, which I still enjoy a lot, particularly the Dark Crusade campaigns. Soulstorm... meh.

Dow Pro series is also pretty good, but zero campaign support(last time I checked). Arguably this is a more balanced mod, but I don't enjoy it as much with just Skirmish/multiplayer available. I think DoW Pro might actually still be getting regular updates? DowXP definitely isn't.

DoW XP still has a few bugs/unfinished bits here and there, so be warned. Tau campaign crashes for me quite often.

News Comments > "Strong Possibility" Relic to Make Dawn of War 3
3. Re: Apr 23, 2013, 10:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

Whiskers wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 10:17:
Hopefully it's more DoW 1 and less DoW 2. A mix of DoW 1 and CoH 1 would be amazing. Imperial guard infantry and vehicles versus chaos cultist on destructible battlefields with Space Marines being walking death machines against basic infantry.I have been reading the Gaunt's Ghost books and they have a lot of content that would make for a fun strategy game.

Agreed, for DoW3 being more like DoW 1. More units and vehicles simultaneously, not less. Silly Relic and their DoW 2. Honestly though, CoH's cover and flee mechanics implementation in DoW 2 helped ruin that game, along with the mind bogglingly small squads.

I bought DoW 2 on sale for like 5 bucks and I still feel ripped off, yet I still fire up DoW1 (Dark Crusade) and play through it every now and then, with mods.

News Comments > Virtuix Omni - VR Treadmill
15. Re: Virtuix Omni - VR Treadmill Apr 22, 2013, 13:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

A few versions later on this and the Oculus Rift, hopefully after games start to get developed with these toys in mind, count me in.

Oculus Rift is supposed to be around $300 for the retail version, right? Hopefully the retail version of the Virtuix isn't prohibitively expensive.

Also, Sleep: real men will play Quake 3 with this setup.

I wonder how long before you break one of these things trying to bunnyhop repeatedly in any Quake engine or QE derivative game. The videos did not exactly instill confidence in the construction of the prototype units.

*EDIT* Oops 'J' already mentioned bunnyhopping. And Quake games. Dammit.

1245 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo