Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 1234 (Pro)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews May 10, 2013, 11:43 MoreLuckThanSkill

Holy SHIT. How have I not heard of this?

Road Rash was one of my favorite games on the Genesis.

These guys also mentioned influence from Rocket Jockey, a CLASSIC(to me ) pc game!

Nice, the Kickstarter is already funded too, at least for their base goal.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced
2. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 10:14 MoreLuckThanSkill

Soo... alternate history and/or time travel here, I guess?

Seeing as how BJ Blazkowicz has literally killed Hitler in the Wolf games like 3 times, not to mention killed millions of German soldiers single-handedly, and now all of a sudden it's 1960.

Still, I'll take a look at in-game footage when it's available.

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Theater of War Details
2. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Theater of War Details Apr 30, 2013, 07:49 MoreLuckThanSkill

deadgoon wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 22:28:
Boi-oi-oi-oing! The crew at relic did a fine job on the previous incarnations (including the w40k series). This should not disappoint!

Mmmm... sort of. Opinions will differ of course, but I thought DoW 2 was trash, and CoH's cover mechanics/hard counters made for boring gameplay. DoW1 was great, Homeworld 1 and 2 were great, but Relic has been moving away from those games for years now. I think CoH 2 will be a disappointment to their actual RTS fans.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 25, 2013, 00:15 MoreLuckThanSkill

J wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 12:44:
That's why I always use the DVD rewinder.

When I read "New Verizon Security Report Finds A Growing Number Of Attacks By China's Hacker Army." the first thing I thought of was Command & Conquer: Generals. Is that bad?

Not at all, that's exactly what came to mind for me as well, "hacked by Chinese" in a horribly done accent.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Commander Mode Rumors
16. Re: Battlefield 4 Commander Mode Rumors Apr 25, 2013, 00:09 MoreLuckThanSkill

Rea1One wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 23:58:
Commander was needed in Bad Company, Bad Company 2 & Battlefield 3, so hopefully its true and its here to stay, also they need to make the squads bigger like in BF2 & BF2142.

Commander is definitely nice in an organized setting, but surely I wasn't the only one who played BF2 on pubs and had complete shitheels get in the Commander slot and ruin matches, either on my team or the opposition?

Bigger squad would be nice, but I think DICE is set on 4 player squads as a balance measure.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Commander Mode Rumors
14. Re: Battlefield 4 Commander Mode Rumors Apr 24, 2013, 20:57 MoreLuckThanSkill

I hope Commander mode is optional, it's a good way to ruin a pub game even more than the usual trolls blowing up your team's vehicles, etc.

As far as Scope glint, hopefully DICE removes the insane lens flare effect from the sun first. You can avoid scope glint yourself by using smaller scopes/no scope.

All that said, nothing shown so far as far as actual BF4 footage is making me want to migrate from BF3 at this point. Single player campaign is meaningless, especially if it doesn't unlock any multiplayer weapons or even have the same weapon/vehicle physics, ala BF3's singe player.

News Comments > "Strong Possibility" Relic to Make Dawn of War 3
7. Re: Apr 23, 2013, 11:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

Creston wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 10:57:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 10:26:
I still fire up DoW1 (Dark Crusade) and play through it every now and then, with mods.

Can I ask which mods you are using?

Creston

I prefer DoW XP v4.5 (last official Dark Crusade version) the most, because the Imperial Guard and Space Marine addons are ridiculously cool. Imperial Guard regular rifles are a bit weak(and same for Tau) in this version though, I really need to get around to using the DoW mod programs to fix a couple values. There is a Soulstorm version of DoW XP also, version 6.0, but it feels completely broken to me.

Dow XP is a nice mod because it works in the campaigns, which I still enjoy a lot, particularly the Dark Crusade campaigns. Soulstorm... meh.

Dow Pro series is also pretty good, but zero campaign support(last time I checked). Arguably this is a more balanced mod, but I don't enjoy it as much with just Skirmish/multiplayer available. I think DoW Pro might actually still be getting regular updates? DowXP definitely isn't.

DoW XP still has a few bugs/unfinished bits here and there, so be warned. Tau campaign crashes for me quite often.

News Comments > "Strong Possibility" Relic to Make Dawn of War 3
3. Re: Apr 23, 2013, 10:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

Whiskers wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 10:17:
Hopefully it's more DoW 1 and less DoW 2. A mix of DoW 1 and CoH 1 would be amazing. Imperial guard infantry and vehicles versus chaos cultist on destructible battlefields with Space Marines being walking death machines against basic infantry.I have been reading the Gaunt's Ghost books and they have a lot of content that would make for a fun strategy game.

Agreed, for DoW3 being more like DoW 1. More units and vehicles simultaneously, not less. Silly Relic and their DoW 2. Honestly though, CoH's cover and flee mechanics implementation in DoW 2 helped ruin that game, along with the mind bogglingly small squads.

I bought DoW 2 on sale for like 5 bucks and I still feel ripped off, yet I still fire up DoW1 (Dark Crusade) and play through it every now and then, with mods.

News Comments > Virtuix Omni - VR Treadmill
15. Re: Virtuix Omni - VR Treadmill Apr 22, 2013, 13:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

A few versions later on this and the Oculus Rift, hopefully after games start to get developed with these toys in mind, count me in.

Oculus Rift is supposed to be around $300 for the retail version, right? Hopefully the retail version of the Virtuix isn't prohibitively expensive.

Also, Sleep: real men will play Quake 3 with this setup.

I wonder how long before you break one of these things trying to bunnyhop repeatedly in any Quake engine or QE derivative game. The videos did not exactly instill confidence in the construction of the prototype units.

*EDIT* Oops 'J' already mentioned bunnyhopping. And Quake games. Dammit.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 21, 2013, 15:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

nin wrote on Apr 21, 2013, 14:47:
So. Steam's Top 10 list. We meet again. You seem to have forgotten Skyrim, this time. Slowly, my plan comes to fruition!

Yep, only 20 more months until xmas 2014 sale...you showed them!

If it indeed takes that long, so be it. But I suspect a GMG or other 3rd party site sale long before that. Plenty of time to play through various games I 'need' to finish, shoot down more choppers with my tank and RPG in BF3, and install/play some stuff from the last round of 5-10 dollar sales.

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion and ruining people's K/D ratios in BF3 seem to be taking up my gaming time these days though.

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 21, 2013, 14:43 MoreLuckThanSkill

So. Steam's Top 10 list. We meet again. You seem to have forgotten Skyrim, this time. Slowly, my plan comes to fruition!

*Malevolent laugh, brief view of a gloved hand petting a white cat in the shadows.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - God Mode
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - God Mode Apr 20, 2013, 10:06 MoreLuckThanSkill

From the two videos on Steam, this appears to be a Third Person Shooter, not First Person. Still, looks pretty interesting, in a Serious Sam or old Doom kind of way.

News Comments > Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges
3. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 09:29 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, I'm a little glad teamPixel was unable to buy the Homeworld IP. They were misusing Kickstarter in my opinion, as funding to buy an existing IP. Hopefully the refund process goes smoothly for the people they convinced.

I will assume the worst, that some company bought the Homeworld IP just to sit on it for five years then make a FPS that is somewhat Homeworld related.

News Comments > Deadly Walkers Kickstarter
1. Re: Deadly Walkers Kickstarter Apr 15, 2013, 10:41 MoreLuckThanSkill

This looks like an extremely low budget version of Killing Floor, with worse shooting mechanics. Not interested as it currently stands, I must say.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 14, 2013, 17:54 MoreLuckThanSkill

rist3903 wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 17:10:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 15:39:
Skyrim sounds great, from reviews online, face to face anecdotes about the game friends and coworkers tell me, etc. None of that matters, however. It is the principle now. Discounted GotY version and/or $9.99 or under version.

The few who are left will prevail!
I commend you for sticking to your guns and not playing a very good game until it is completely dated.

Bravo, sir!

Your sarcasm is appreciated, but there are contributing factors. Namely the sense that I will end up playing Skyrim for hundreds of hours, and I already have a hefty backlog of games to play as it is. Not that there is a real schedule or anything, but some games have been sitting unopened or uninstalled or just unfinished on my real or virtual desk(top) for years at this point. Is Skyrim worthy of jumping the queue? Probably. I'll debate it next time it's on sale, and after I clear out some harddrive space for the game + mods.

Skyrim being single player also makes it a little bit less urgent for me to play through. Multiplayer games tend to force themselves to the top of my personal queue a bit faster.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 14, 2013, 15:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

Skyrim sounds great, from reviews online, face to face anecdotes about the game friends and coworkers tell me, etc. None of that matters, however. It is the principle now. Discounted GotY version and/or $9.99 or under version.

The few who are left will prevail!

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 14, 2013, 14:43 MoreLuckThanSkill

Mind boggling. Who doesn't have Skyrim by now, that ISN'T waiting for the 9.99 version, or the GotY version?

Stop giving in, people. Tough it out, wait for the major price drop.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Concludes
15. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 00:21 MoreLuckThanSkill

nin wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 00:17:
The word you want is "expectations", not "hype".

meh.

Not sure how else I can say it, but someone else telling me their expectations of the game counts as hype.

For the record my expectations are pretty high for a number of Kickstarters, so don't listen to my hype if I talk about them in another thread.

13. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 00:08 MoreLuckThanSkill

NewMaxx wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 23:15:
I guess what I'm saying is that you used the word "hype" wrong, because it means publicity, especially through deception, which is kind of the antithesis of Kickstarter (which exists to harness existing desires through openness). Yes, I realize that some people might try to defraud the system through hype, but again inXile has been more than forthcoming and believable. What you probably meant is that these games can't match the quality of the originals...and you may be right there, but that's not a factor of hype.

Obviously there isn't as much traditional promotion on this game or Project Exile when compared to AAA titles. I wonder where you are getting your definition of hype to equate it with deception. Hype CAN exist without being inherently false, hence something "living up to the hype." This is starting to be an argument about the definition of slang terminology, but still.

However the nostalgia related uproar, for the limited fanbase these types of game have, is quite high in my opinion. RPG fans I know keep bringing up this and Project Exile as basically the second coming of Christ. Fan generated promotion/hype is more what I was referring to, as these days most reasonably informed gamers ignore the professionally done promotion in favor of word of mouth or actual reviews.

Since you brought it up, hopefully Torment, Project Eternity and the few other good looking Kickstarters (Planetary Annihilation, Grim Dawn, etc.) exceed the original games; hell I'd expect them to at least avoid the flaws the originals had.

7. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 5, 2013, 22:42 MoreLuckThanSkill

I look forward to playing this and Project Eternity, but let's face it... there is NO way this game or PE can ever live up to the hype.

1234 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo