Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 1282 (Pro)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > BF4 Open Beta in October; BF4 Premium & Battlepacks Detailed
26. Re: BF4 Open Beta in October; BF4 Premium & Battlepacks Detailed Aug 20, 2013, 21:42 MoreLuckThanSkill

Fantaz wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 20:43:
yepp... $109.98 + tax to be exact. if it's like Dead Space 3 it will be $1 in a HumbleBundle after 6 months.

Hrm, one can only hope. I know BF3 is unpopular on bluesnews, but holy shit, that is easily the most fun I've had in multiplayer in quite some time. Conquest Large, of course. Armored Kill, Aftermath and Default maps. Any other mode... good luck.

I miss the days of FPS games without unlocks, but it seems that era is dead and gone. I don't think I'm ready to give up FPS games entirely, and I still really love driving the tanks/apcs/jeeps around, destroying everything on land, sea and air. There is a great deal of satisfaction to be had in shooting down jets and helos with the tank.

Based on my current playtime for BF3, $110 is still going to be significantly less than 50 cents an hour, so, even if I can't wait for a sale, I'm not going to sweat it that much. Besides, you can always make it back on Steam sales, Humble Bundles, GOG, GMG, Gamersgate etc.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Coming to Windows
6. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Coming to Windows Aug 20, 2013, 10:54 MoreLuckThanSkill

That map overlay on the ground 'in game' looks so sweet. E3 video as a whole was pretty interesting. I have not really done a ton of research on this game though... isn't this some sort of MMOFPS or something? The URL in the story is a little bit vague, "drop in and out coop" is all they say. 4 player? 16, 64? 100? etc.

News Comments > No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year?
8. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 19, 2013, 22:30 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, I hope GFWL fades into obscurity, but I hope every studio is somehow able to scramble and patch together some workaround for their existing games that are infected with that crap.

I can't be the only one with a dozen or more Steam/Gamersgate/GMG sale titles sitting around that just got a(possible) time limit.

Once again, people will have to resort to downloading cracks to play their legitimately purchased games, gg failed DRM schemes.

News Comments > The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Launch Trailer
3. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Launch Trailer Aug 19, 2013, 22:27 MoreLuckThanSkill

Sigh, it's so sad that even in the relatively care free(I assume) arena of game critics, people either bow to pressure or the higher ups remove negative reviews.

It has happened before, but seriously, is this humanity? Even when something so inconsequential as an HONEST game review gets posted, does some corporation have to flex their muscle so much that it immediately gets retracted? Or Sterling's boss was so worried before he/she even got the angry phone call that it was pulled preemptively?

For the record, 3 man squads are a joke, hope this game fails.

ps. Get busy playing all your GFWL steam sale titles before July 1st!

*EDIT* Grammar.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Videos
12. Re: Battlefield 4 Videos Aug 17, 2013, 18:03 MoreLuckThanSkill

Pfft, the Battlefield series is just a ripoff of Battlezone 2... which was a ripoff of Battlezone 1 ! Injustice!

News Comments > Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer
17. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 21:40 MoreLuckThanSkill

Alamar wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 21:03:
The 'throwing skills' guy was the first char I played, and the only one fun enough to get through the game... After throwing shock knives that AOE on the target, moving to a blade/blunt weapon, or a gun seemed... weak...

-Alamar

Interesting. I got annoyed picking up thrown weapons after the first few fights, found Sam(the blunt guy?) a bit too easy, the Korean edged weapons girl even more overpowered, and finally settled on the gun woman. She probably had the weakest skill tree, but I ended up jump kicking/headstomping 80% of the enemies anyway, and unloading firepower only on minibosses/bosses.

Hopefully Dying Light doesn't end up promoting the jump kick/headstomp combo too much, but I feel they won't get away from weapon degradation and extremely limited ammo, even though neither of those mechanics are fun to a certain percentage of players. If that ends up being the case, I'll be kicking the brains out of another 40,000 zombies or so in this game.

*EDIT* Typo.

News Comments > Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer
11. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 18:40 MoreLuckThanSkill

I played through the entire Dead Island campaign, even though it got a little grindy for my tastes, mostly due to zombies respawning in areas you just cleared as you make your way back.

The free running aspects seem pretty fun, the graphics look vastly improved, I'll probably at least try this on a Steam sale or something. Although Warner Bros is involved, this may end up being cursed with GFWL.

Hopefully this time the character powers aren't so horribly balanced... did anybody actually play the throwing skills guy in Dead Island?

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed
15. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 16:46 MoreLuckThanSkill

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 16:26:
I really really doubt that they sold more then wow its first 9 months, especially considering by their 9th month they had 4 million ACTIVE subscribers (3rd quarter)

Source

Apparently they didnt "triangulating against multiple data sources" very hard...

Well, the news blurb specifically says the US and Europe, for 9 months, so I am sure they checked. WoW probably sold more worldwide in its first 9 months, but maybe not just in those areas.

I haven't played GW2 yet, but I may get into this free trial.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Space Hulk
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Space Hulk Aug 15, 2013, 21:24 MoreLuckThanSkill

Shataan wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 20:53:
Peeps still play this kinda shiz???

Indeed, sir or madam.

News Comments > On Sale
16. Re: On Sale Aug 15, 2013, 11:12 MoreLuckThanSkill

Darks wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 10:22:
All of the games except Dead Space 3 are Steam, in fact you get both sets of keys when you buy this deal.

Fair warning, Battlefield 3 (assuming you pay over the 5 bucks or whatever) is also Origin only. Although hopefully everybody knows about BF3 at this point.

*EDIT* Typo.

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 2013, 11:17.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: Humble Bundle Aug 15, 2013, 00:23 MoreLuckThanSkill

That is seriously a great Humble Bundle.

I own some of the games on it, but I've been looking for cheap Dead Space 3; I don't mind getting Medal of Honor or Burnout Paradise either.

I'm also using it to try to rope a few more people into Battlefield 3 at a bargain, because hey, we all need to run somebody over with a tank sometimes.

Incidentally, Origin seems to have been DDoSed, or at least the Register New Games server(s), by the all the people buying the bundle.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2013, 12:23 MoreLuckThanSkill

ROFL! I cannot believe people still don't know about the onion.

Of course that Literally Unbelievable page is almost entirely of snippets from Facebook, aka the 21st century AOL online, so what can you expect.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Cinematic Trailer
1. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Cinematic Trailer Aug 14, 2013, 12:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, I'd like to watch that trailer, but it asks me to sign in... do people actually sign in to youtube? That seems like you're just asking for a lawsuit down the road.

News Comments > Diablo Tease
6. Re: Diablo Tease Aug 14, 2013, 12:17 MoreLuckThanSkill

It's way too late for Diablo 3, at least as far as Blizzard making drastic changes such as reintroducing skill trees or changing the graphical style of the game. The stat system along with the GAH and RMAH mean that Blizzard will never REALLY re-itemize Diablo 3 either, they will be too worried about players complaining about real money lost to really fix the itemization.

I speak as someone who put a few hundred hours into D3, with 5 level 60s through Inferno before they nerfed it the first(or second?) time. Haven't really been back since.

Hopefully Grim Dawn will be good enough to provide the ARPG fix in 6 months to a year; I uninstalled Diablo 3 months ago and there really is no point in going back or expecting that game to improve.

News Comments > The Wolf Among Us Revealed
4. Re: The Wolf Among Us Revealed Aug 14, 2013, 12:11 MoreLuckThanSkill

I have read most of the issues of Fables, and Bigby seems like a horrible choice, at least if they plan on staying true to the source material.

He's basically one of the most powerful characters in that universe, borderline unkillable, with a large powerset that would make most battles pointless.

I assume they went away from that for this game, since he appears to be getting his ass kicked in a few scenes.

Fables as a whole is probably not the ideal comic to make a game off of, there is some fighting, but for the most part that isn't the focus of the comic. If you WERE going to focus on the fighting, then they should do more related to the Emperor storyline, and that involves a lot more characters than just Bigby.

Oh well.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 13, 2013, 22:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, that's a depressing story about Curt Schilling, but aside from the detail of the video game studio, it's yet another former professional athlete who lost his fortune through weak financial decisions. Seems like that happens an awful lot... is it really that hard to NOT blow millions of dollars on cars/mansions/crazy businesses?

News Comments > Defiance Add-on Next Week
2. Re: Defiance Add-on Next Week Aug 13, 2013, 22:36 MoreLuckThanSkill

This game is down to $9.99 base price on Steam, I am debating buying it.

How are the shooting mechanics? Is the whole thing 3rd person? Headshot damage, or any locational damage, etc.

News Comments > Dungeonforge Crowd-Funding
5. Re: Dungeonforge Crowd-Funding Aug 11, 2013, 14:15 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, I'll probably at least try this when(if) it's in open beta, or regular release, since they claim free to play with no pay to win.

Unfortunately I think their biggest hurdle will be the eventual lawsuit from the other Collective Dream Studios of South Africa
if this isn't some sort of splinter group/offshoot.

News Comments > Steam Greenlights 15 More Games
6. Re: Steam Greenlights 15 More Games Aug 10, 2013, 15:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

Prez wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 15:37:
Really looking forward to Satellite Reign.

Hrm, a modern Syndicate remake could be amazing! The engine seems impressive also, although they only provide a staged gameplay concept video, so we'll still have to wait quite a while I assume, until we can see some actual gameplay.

Hopefully this game comes out in a reasonable amount of time.

Grim Dawn, Project Eternity, Wasteland 2, Torment, Satellite Reign, the semi-indie/Kickstarter scene is getting pretty impressive. All of these various projects had better come through or a lot of nostalgic dreams are going to be shattered.

ps. the best game on this Greenlight list is going to be Viscera Cleanup Detail, my personal prediction. Everyone wants to be the guy who cleans up after the hero! *EDIT* Sarcasm, before that gets misunderstood.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2013, 16:09.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Multiplayer Diary and Video
14. Re: Battlefield 4 Multiplayer Diary and Video Aug 10, 2013, 13:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

Slick wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 07:10:
how is it going to be "random" people at cafes playing commander? you have to have bought the game in order to play in servers in any capacity.

This fantasy that people with zero interest in playing BF are going to be in control of the games you're playing is just retarded.

And how is this any different from a random pubber taking control of commander mode when they're A) more interested in running around as infantry than actually commanding and ignoring the role they applied for. and B) how awesome would it be for a friend to play commander over your shoulder while at your house as you play in the same server.

this is again completely ignoring the fact that a multi-touch interface would actually work great with commander mode, as a former competitive player, i was commander during many bf2 and 2142 matches, i wish i had more than just a single mouse cursor when things get really hectic, i have 10 fingers after all.

i swear, some of the short-sighted haters just have no imagination...

Of course they will have to buy a copy. If you were actually a competitive player, I question whether you truly think a tablet is a better input device than a mouse/KB, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

This new wave of social/tablet/smart phone gaming is going to be around for awhile, apparently.

Pub BF4 will end up being as much a clusterfuck or more than BF3 was, it seems. Surely you don't think tablet access will IMPROVE general public server play?

1282 Comments. 65 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo