Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 1752 (Pro)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2014, 16:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 15:31:

That's why your infrastructure is falling apart and you spend more on military than the rest of the planet combined.

This is America encapsulated in a single political cartoon.

You don't need to tell me, I've lived here for almost 40 years, and watched several states' worth of bridges fall apart. But hey we do have a ton of expensive fighter/bomber jets.

I am continually amazed when people get extremely angry over the concept of universal health care in this country. How dare we try to plan to pay for the medical care we have to give to our citizens anyway!(emergency rooms) I'd be depressed, if I didn't just shoot a guy with my tank's main gun as he tried to bail out of helicopter (BF4).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Nov 4, 2014, 14:54 MoreLuckThanSkill

Smell the Black Glove. But you know, not over and over.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2014, 14:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

Prez wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 14:40:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 14:33:

Well, except for Obamacare. Can only blame Obama for that. Assuming you don't like it, that is.

Didn't Romney institute basically the same thing in Massachusetts?

Not to open a huge can of worms, but I cannot resist. The rest of the developed world, and even much of the third world, has universal health care, cheaper internet, better education, you name it. Sometimes you have to take a deep breath and realize the US could learn some things from outside our (eventually heavily fortified) borders.

Democracy cannot co-exist with unbridled Capitalism, discuss.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2014, 14:44 MoreLuckThanSkill

In less depressing news, great article on XKCD. I wonder if education wouldn't be in a better state in this country if more teachers attempted to keep their students engaged occasionally with those type of ridiculous speculation 'What Ifs'.

Of course Munroe is a smart and talented guy, we'd have to pay teachers a hell of a lot more to get a large number of smart and talented teachers...

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
16. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 4, 2014, 14:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

NKD wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 12:26:
Go look at some of the online support organizations for victims of harassment and cyber-bullying. All of them that I could find recommend the following course of action: Document, don't engage, and report to authorities.

Well then, a web page says that, it must be the only option. *eyeroll*

Look, you clearly think ignoring is the way to go, that's fine. I'd like to see whatever proof you have that Wu didn't ignore these for months and just quietly reported them to the police or FBI. For the umpteenth time, you and I do not know all of the situation. Perhaps she already tried that, and nothing changed.

Don't call it a fact that ignoring repeated threats is the best response, just realize that in fact that is just your opinion. It's possibly a widely held opinion, but STILL just an opinion.

There are plenty of counter examples, especially offline, where trying to ignore an actual threat does NOT work. There are plenty of cases where people were threatened, online or otherwise, reported it to the authorities, and were STILL killed. Maybe, just maybe, sitting there quietly was a mistake for those victims?

It does indeed appear foolish for you to talk about an online bullying-support page and somehow equate it to this situation, where somebody has had their life threatened for months. I know I know, threats that happen online aren't real threats. *sarcastic eyeroll*

"I'm sorry to hear that people are threatening to rape and kill you, miss, but according to my vast array of cyber-bullying websites, it is a fact that you should just sit there and say and do nothing, and hope the over-worked and underpaid police get around to installing Windows 95 and helping you." -hyperbolic counter to your hyperbolic hot sauce example.

Devil's advocate: say Wu did exactly as you want, and just ignored these as much as possible, reported them to police/FBI, and went on with her life? How many months or years do you think she'd have to endure before these stop? Would they ever stop? Don't bother answering, you can only guess, I present this as something for you to ruminate over.

14. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 4, 2014, 12:05 MoreLuckThanSkill

Did either of the two of you read the rest of my post?

Suffice to say your opinions on how anyone should deal with threats are just that, opinions, not fact. You are now fully into victim-blaming at this point, by saying that her responses to harassment are triggering more harassment and death threats. Sure, anyone can assume that based on whatever minor trolling you experience online, but once you start getting months of death threats, maybe your anecdotal experience no longer applies?

Waving off every death threat she has received as just common "trolling" apparently no longer works for her, and apparently she feels threatened enough, or as I said, was advised to, take different actions.

Not everyone is built to just stand there and take months of death threats, and not do ANYTHING. Neither of you seem able to comprehend that, and that's depressing in and of itself.

11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 4, 2014, 06:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

NKD wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 02:11:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 22:13:
You need to check your calendar. Months of threats probably take a toll on anyone, or has it been years for Wu? I don't really know her backstory. Ignoring clearly hasn't worked, so she probably felt and/or was advised to try something else.

Ignoring it doesn't stop the threats in their tracks. Nothing will do that except for people forgetting about her. But the "alternatives" make the threats worse. You say ignoring hasn't worked, but she hasn't tried it. Since this whole thing started she's been talking about the threats constantly.

You should probably think about that, also please don't claim you know the workings of every law enforcement agency in the world. It's also common knowledge that she's getting repeatedly threatened, not exactly a huge leap in publicity there.

Which law enforcement agency do you know of that advises people to publicize threats they receive as a matter of policy?

I just haven't seen you recommend a better, more proven course of action than the one used by nearly every celebrity and public figure ever, most of whom have received death threats from obsessives and crazies. I guarantee you they get more threats than some indie game developer who barely registers on the public radar.

This is already a ridiculous discussion, but ok.

I am not in law enforcement. I am not a public figure. You and I can armchair quarterback all day long about what somebody SHOULD do, but simply put, you and I are not in her position. For all you know, law enforcement, her attorney, whatever, recommended she organize this reward, perhaps as part of a larger strategy. You literally have no clue as to what is really going on behind the scenes there.

I'd recommend not putting personal information out there in the first place on Twitter/Facebook/Whatever, but that's my personal stance. Clearly she and I already differ in opinion there. How is it impossible for you to understand that you and her disagree on this matter? As far as her getting less threats than some other larger celebrity, that would probably mean she has even LESS experience dealing with them, if anything. Even that is irrelevant though, as you have no data whatsoever to back your statements up. You have no factual proof of what a given person does or should do, celebrity or not, when threatened. Yes, actual threats, not just random trolls saying your mom is fat or whatever in game chat.

As far as ignoring all of the threats or hoping people forget about her, really? That is your plan? She should just stop doing what she is doing completely and vanish because she is threatened? Even if she stopped talking about it personally, it's in the news and even your Gamergate comrades put up a web page about her and the other two women being harassed, with their photos and everything. Something tells me it'd be near impossible for her to just 'lay low' for months or years and silently pray for these assholes to get bored and stop.

News Comments > The Talos Principle Next Month
1. Re: The Talos Principle Next Month Nov 3, 2014, 22:31 MoreLuckThanSkill

Talos!? Oh wait, this has nothing to do with BG2 or D&D.

8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 3, 2014, 22:13 MoreLuckThanSkill

NKD wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 22:07:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 21:47:

It's real easy for people to say somebody ELSE should just ignore repeated death threats, even if it is the internet.

Making a big deal about threats attracts more threats. You basically chum the waters. No law enforcement agency in this world recommends publicizing threats you receive. You should probably think about why that is. I'm sure you've got some great justification for how giving assholes and trolls exactly what they want is a winning strategy?

You need to check your calendar. Months of threats probably take a toll on anyone, or has it been years for Wu? I don't really know her backstory. Ignoring clearly hasn't worked, so she probably felt and/or was advised to try something else.

You should probably think about that, also please don't claim you know the workings of every law enforcement agency in the world. It's also common knowledge that she's getting repeatedly threatened, not exactly a huge leap in publicity there.

*EDIT* Grammar.

6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 3, 2014, 21:47 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cash rewards are traditionally used to get some friend or associate to give information on a target. Success rates vary of course. You would think you so-called anti-harassment people would be into this? Clearly she is sick of having her life threatened repeatedly.

It's real easy for people to say somebody ELSE should just ignore repeated death threats, even if it is the internet.

You keep complaining about ethics though.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 3, 2014, 21:41 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 17:09:
So they claim. This is the internet fellas. Everyone's a tough guy multi-millionaire.

I get what you're saying, but League of Legends and DotA 2, and maybe one or two other MOBAs have such ridiculously huge followings it wouldn't surprise me in the least. I can't fathom their popularity, but anytime you look at the number of players per game measurements from Steam, etc. those MOBAs are ahead by a few hundred thousand, easily.

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Morning Previews Nov 3, 2014, 21:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

Dungeons 2, more like Dungeon Keeper? Good, finally, you should have done that for Dungeons 1 and you wouldn't have pissed off so many people who bought your first game.

Hopefully Dungeons 2 has a demo, maybe they will get it right this time.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Nov 3, 2014, 21:36 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, what the hell were the Titanfall developers expecting? 4v4 matches with some bot players, that's a recipe for a complete STEAMROLL every single match. Plus the leveling system, plus autoaim pistol, etc. New players will never get a chance to gain skill, and anybody who wasn't great already quit after the first two weeks probably.

Bad decisions all around because of consoles. I am halfway tempted to buy it just to start wrecking whoever is left in the game, but it seems like wasted effort, if there is no enjoyable single player either. I'll probably just wait for a price drop in CoD:Advanced Warfare and buy that, apparently the single player there isn't bad.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Nov 3, 2014, 21:33 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, never heard of Dave's site, or this guy, but that is hilarious.

Poor Icelanders and their cold, dark, Nordic prison.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 2, 2014, 21:57 MoreLuckThanSkill

nin wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 10:46:
I'm laughing at Farm Simulator making it to number two...makes me think of this.

That video is hilarious, but I feel so cheated. Easily one of the best comedy BF3 montage videos is a straight ripoff of this Farm Simulator video... such disappointment.

Still, thanks for showing the real deal original.

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Reveal
34. Re: Star Citizen FPS Reveal Nov 2, 2014, 15:15 MoreLuckThanSkill

It's almost pointless to post in any Star Citizen thread at this point, but as I was watching this video, I kept thinking: "man, these human animations are terrible, but I bet they could make an ok flight-sim instead, if they put their minds to it."

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Oct 31, 2014, 22:32 MoreLuckThanSkill

Five Nights at Freddy's for 2.50? Had to buy it.  

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Oct 31, 2014, 22:20 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cabin in the Woods could have been great, but the ending, and a few scenes near the ending, killed it for me.

Why, oh why, would you include a giant red button that released all the unkillable supernatural horrors into the same area your personnel are in? *EDIT* I disagree with the video's take on the button, but I can see his logic.

Why oh why would they not kill themselves at the end to prevent the COMPLETE DESTRUCTION OF THE EARTH, when that was going to result in their immediate death anyway? Either you die, or all humans die? Not much of a choice there for the majority of any species.

Up until those two scenes, I was loving that film.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2014, 22:28.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Oct 31, 2014, 04:49 MoreLuckThanSkill

Road Redemption is...actually really good already, I am impressed. Controls aren't perfect but they are usable, tracks are randomly generated, physics are hilarious, weapon selection seems strong already.

It is still a work in progress, I did get stuck respawning right in front of an unbreakable object a couple times, and you are forced to relocate(via the menu).

It's like 16 bucks or something, it's easily worth it.

News Comments > The Evil Within Demo
19. Re: The Evil Within Demo Oct 31, 2014, 00:50 MoreLuckThanSkill

Installed the demo, I've been playing for roughly 20 minutes. Reminds me of classic Resident Evil games, in terms of purposely crappy controls so far. Nice level design though, some nice scripted events, definitely a normal human character so far in terms of abilities. The widescreen bars are pretty annoying.

I'll finish the demo and get a better picture, but I think I'm sold on this game the next time there is a sale.

1752 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo