Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Tampa, FL 10/09
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 2196 (Senior)
User ID 54863
User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update
6. Re: Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update Jun 5, 2015, 18:54 MoreLuckThanSkill
Vall Forran wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 17:49:
Actually (and it just launched so this might not matter in a few hours), the federation lady that looks like the platinum haired girl from the Matrix is in the lead, followed by the other fed guy who looks like Bryan Cranston.

Bryan Cranston? That's clearly a well aged Robert Patrick!

So is this the major content patch that means it's time to get in to Elite:Dangerous, or should people on the fence keep...sitting on the fence?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jun 5, 2015, 17:24 MoreLuckThanSkill
jdreyer wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 17:08:
Never seen that guy before. Pretty entertaining.

That being said, is it just me, or is making an electric knife entirely out of metal seem like a recipe for disaster?

Well, what else would you make it out of?

I know what you mean though, you'd think a rubber or at least electric taped grip would be safer. He seems pretty confident in his conduction understanding though.
2. Re: Into the Black Jun 4, 2015, 21:28 MoreLuckThanSkill
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 20:54:
The dude polishing the mirror was wearing short trousers and sandals.. in the dang JUNGLE.... why?

Well you'd think he should be wearing heavy boots and pants, but it's probably 100+ degrees F (or 38 C for you people with modern measurement systems! ) and 100% humidity out there also.

Or is this in some Nature Park somewhere? That would be the other explanation, he's 2 feet from his Go-Kart and a trip past the gate.
News Comments > Steam Machine Preorders
7. Re: Steam Machine Preorders Jun 4, 2015, 13:58 MoreLuckThanSkill
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 13:39:

And Windows games... for me there isn't even really a point to these machines. Get Steamlink + controller, and you can play anything your gaming RIG can play on your TV (assuming you have some kind of NIC or HTPC). For 100 that's a superb offer imo. And it streams windows games just fine

But as you say, such a box needs to support everything else a media center can do. Steamlink+controller is only 100, and that's imo a great offer and gives you some neat abilities.

Essentially, this competes directly with Intel NUC, which is imo far superior if you use it as stream client, it uses Windows and is cheaper. Bit baffled what the point of this box is...

Yeah, Steamlink seems like a decent option, I'll have to read up on it and reviews when it's actually out. You mention the Intel NUC, which seems to be in the $100-$400 range, and also requires additional hardware(some models)? Based on 2 second glance at Amazon. More competition is always good, but maybe I'll just convert one of my older pcs to a media PC for the main TV or something.
News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 4, 2015, 13:42 MoreLuckThanSkill
Drazula wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 10:55:
FTC changing guidelines is probably the biggest news to impact gaming in years.

Hahaha! Oh wait, you're serious. *eyeroll*
News Comments > Battleborn E3 Trailer & Details
3. Re: Battleborn E3 Trailer & Details Jun 4, 2015, 13:33 MoreLuckThanSkill
5v5, so is this like another one of the FPS/MOBA mergers, aka that Blizzard Overwatch game?

I wish there wasn't so much of a focus these days on such small teams, I really feel multiplayer games are taking a serious hit, quality wise, because of the success of the MOBAs.
News Comments > Steam Machine Preorders
3. Re: Steam Machine Preorders Jun 4, 2015, 13:29 MoreLuckThanSkill
I am not going to be one of the early adopters for this, but somewhere down the line I will probably get one. I have so much stuff on Steam now, some of which is actually playable with a gamepad, (assuming you can't also hook up a keyboard/mouse to the device) that the Steam Machine would be a nice option, assuming it will also run:

Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.

News Comments > Evening Patches
2. Re: Evening Patches Jun 3, 2015, 23:37 MoreLuckThanSkill
Well, PoEt is slowly getting patched into what it unfortunately wasn't at release, a polished and bug free game.

I hope they eventually start collapsing all these patches into one big patch, at least for the version, we're up to 5 separate patches already. Steam users will of course not be affected.
News Comments > Summer Sale Begins
24. Re: Summer Sale Begins Jun 3, 2015, 21:13 MoreLuckThanSkill
Hrm, I'd say I am doing pretty good so far, as I'm only in for about 13 dollars, but that's going to jump past 50 or so whenever Witcher 3/DLCs drop to an acceptable level.

I am way past the point of gaming hours > natural lifespan at this point, on Steam/Gog/Humble/Gamersgate/GMG.
5. Re: Into the Black Jun 3, 2015, 21:06 MoreLuckThanSkill
Cutter wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 20:41:
So he's a scoundrel who's married and fools around with other women? Yeah. Gee. That's so completely insane.

Exactly. He is THE Scoundrel. He shot Greedo First, he shot at Darth Vader the second he saw him, he's in it for the money until his conscience won out, etc. This is arguably completely in character, depending on how they flesh it out. I am tempted to pick up that line of comics now, just to see where their collective thoughts are for the Star Wars universe.

If anything this is a GOOD sign, in my opinion, that they aren't going to kiddify the characters any more than Lucas already did.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re:Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson to Star in 'Big Trouble in Little China' Remake. Jun 2, 2015, 09:06 MoreLuckThanSkill
Holy SHIT. You do NOT remake Big Trouble in Little China, just like you do NOT remake Point Break!(also about to be ruined by a remake)

Come on, Hollywood! Big Trouble in Little China is easily one of Carpenter's best works, and arguably still stands up to viewing today. Shameful. A remake would have better CGI, but shittier martial arts work by far. And the wrong David Lo Pan and Egg Shen. Dammit! Also, Hollywood being what is these days, will probably whitewash Wang Chi(the actual hero of BTiLC) right out of the film.

Blue -> That guy sounds like an asshole, but leash laws are there to cut down on neighbors cursing each other out in the street when somebody's dog decides to start barking/chasing/biting somebody instead of pleasantly walking down the street next to you.

I jog all the time in my neighborhood, and there's always some dog with no leash that will come at me, friendly or otherwise. It's a hassle to stop and attempt to calm the dog down, and try to politely deal with the owner. Also pleasant are random dogs being let out of the house to go shit all over everybody elses' yards. You sound a lot more responsible with your dog than most Blue, so you probably just ran afoul of a guy pissed off at ALL the poorly controlled dogs in the neighborhood, and got all of that guy's saved up ire.

*EDIT* Explanation.
News Comments > XCOM 2 Announced
4. Re: XCOM 2 Announced Jun 1, 2015, 17:24 MoreLuckThanSkill
Nice non-gameplay video, hinting at more melee options(finally!) and other potentially good changes.

I'd say I'm going to wait to see the gameplay videos, but considering I played through X-Com Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within a couple of times already, and was considering a third with mods, I'm probably already sold on this.

From a continuity standpoint, not sure how they will explain away my squad of utter badasses seemingly eradicating several alien species with relative ease in the first game and expansion.
News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 May 31, 2015, 16:57 MoreLuckThanSkill
Hrm, I'm glad to see Killing Floor 2 on there, but after playing the Early Access version for a few hours, it feels as though they might be six months or more from a real release.

Oh well, get it right, Tripwire.
News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
27. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs May 31, 2015, 09:55 MoreLuckThanSkill
SXO wrote on May 31, 2015, 08:40:
I can't even keep up with all the labels being applied to people anymore. It makes me not want to discuss anything with anyone because someone will feel the need to lump me in with one group or another. I can't dislike one group's message, and totally disagree with another. Apparently I'm supposed to pick a side, and I don't want to.

Welcome to a classic human dilemma. Humanity is largely unable to deal with people individually, and must resort to labeling and grouping people(and then feeling hostile or at least disparaging to other groups). We all do it to a certain extent, all we can do is try to recognize it and overcome it.

It's particularly upsetting to me that 'atheist' is getting misused so much these days, or at least tied to some assholery online.

Anyway, don't feel like you are the only one; most people really don't fit easy into any simple classification/group.
News Comments > SOMA in September
5. Re: SOMA in September May 30, 2015, 18:03 MoreLuckThanSkill
Looks interesting. I need to get around to finishing Amnesia.(But I keep forgetting... too obvious ) I got a vaguely Dead Space-ish feel from the environment, I was halfway wondering why he didn't just pull out an arc welder.

Also, glanced at the title and thought this.

News Comments > The Witcher III Exp Bug
10. Re: The Witcher III Exp Bug May 28, 2015, 11:29 MoreLuckThanSkill
Uh oh, sounds like the Witcher 3 is really good. Goodbye, another 100-200 hours of my life.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Spring Patch
7. Re: Battlefield 4 Spring Patch May 28, 2015, 11:26 MoreLuckThanSkill
eRe4s3r wrote on May 28, 2015, 05:02:
Ucav and Mortar have a 60s delay before you can deploy, each spawn. So you can't spawn and use ucav, you have to wait (And stay alive) 60s.

Which makes roof exploiters (who dead-lock elevators with c4) even harder to actually kill. This change actually soured me on Infantry only mode. Dawn Star (or whatever) is now a complete fucking mess. 1 elevator to that roof, impossible to get to when enemy squad locks it down. And that roof gives them COMPLETE map dominance.. whoever designed that map.. fuck that guy. Shanghai, same problem, roof is not reachable anymore as you won't survive on the other roofs long enough to deploy ucav or mortar and clear the center roof area.

Essentially, this update is a campers wet dream. Not only is it harder to dislodge campers, it is more important than ever to camp if you want to actually clean a roof camper squad.

That sucks. I rarely play any infantry only mode in Battlefield games, but I can understand the desire to limit UCAVs in vehicle play... that is easily the most annoying weapon in the hands of somebody even remotely good at it. (remotely, ho ho ho )

It is such an easily exploitable weapon, does a ton of damage to vehicles, and is extremely hard to spot or avoid. It also one shots large groups of infantry; honestly I'd like to see them remove it from the game entirely. It also encourages shitty players to stay in their spawn the entire round, but a lot of things do that unfortunately. Good players with UCAV just have an almost guaranteed kill(s) every minute or so, on the other side of the coin.

Same for mortars, to a lesser extent, or at least revert them to a BF3 style mortar where the player has to be at the mortar to use it.

I'd say use the XM25 thing on those roof campers, but that's been nerfed quite a bit too, I haven't tried it in this new patch to see how viable it is.
News Comments > Mad Max Savage Road Trailer
20. Re: Mad Max Savage Road Trailer May 26, 2015, 20:08 MoreLuckThanSkill
Cutter wrote on May 26, 2015, 18:04:
So what you guys are saying is the film is cray bananas.

The film is gorgeous; it's arguably required viewing for any movie aficionado.

More on topic, this game actually looks pretty good, if those driving scenes are actual gameplay and not all cut scenes.
News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Trailer
1. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Trailer May 21, 2015, 10:07 MoreLuckThanSkill
Hrm, this looks great! RPG Renaissance indeed. Tides of Numeria, Divinity:OS Enhanced and Wasteland 2 Enhanced editions, Pillars of Eternity patch 1.06, it looks like I'll be putting another 400 hours or so into my isometric rpg addiction this year.  
2. Re: Into the Black May 19, 2015, 21:20 MoreLuckThanSkill
nin wrote on May 19, 2015, 19:01:
Love the way, after making a comment the other day about Daniel Craig playing a stormtrooper in the upcoming Star Wars movie, he ends with:

p.s. Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan are also Stormtroopers in The Force Awakens.

That's pretty interesting actually, it makes me wonder what the storyline is going to be as far as the clone troopers... all died off, or are there still a few aging ones left, ie. Dalton/Brosnan? Or do they just happen to be older Troopers(non-clone)

More importantly, I saw Mad Max:Fury Road today, and it was beautiful. Insane stuntwork, gorgeous visuals and audio, tolerable dialogue, great non-verbal acting. Clearly some skilled mechanics in the wasteland of Australia too.

Everybody on Bluesnews should drop what they're doing and go see Mad Max. For the record, I saw the 2D version, I'll probably go see the 3D version next week to compare.

2196 Comments. 110 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

Blue's News logo