Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 2114 (Senior)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Apr 2, 2015, 22:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

jdreyer wrote on Apr 2, 2015, 20:08:
Also, Ghost Rider lives!

Pfft, more Batman/Daredevil-ish than Ghost Rider. His head wasn't on fire, at no point did he stop his bike and burn somebody's soul out with his gaze, etc.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Patch Notes; Patch May Come Tomorrow
13. Re: Pillars of Eternity Patch Notes; Patch May Come Tomorrow Apr 2, 2015, 19:43 MoreLuckThanSkill

"Arbalest damage has been lowered"

What! Hopefully not too low, Arbalest gibbing is the best ranged gibbing.

Good that fast melee weapons do more damage though, Daggers are basically useless currently, with the DR ranges.

Seems like a very good list, although I have to wonder if enemy NPC mind control abilities, and even friendly NPC mind control abilities(charm, dominate, etc.) are bugged. Resistance to those seems to be utterly ignored, unless the attack "misses." I have party members with 90+ Will who still get mind controlled immediately unless I surprise range attack kill those enemies on contact.

Party cipher mind control never seems to get resisted either.

Of course they added loot to the Fampyr boss after my Rogue was already past him

The next playthrough is looking good though, excellent work, Obsidian.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous on Steam
7. Re: Elite: Dangerous on Steam Apr 2, 2015, 19:33 MoreLuckThanSkill

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 2, 2015, 18:44:
I am now about 10x more interested in buying it [on sale].

Same, I'd be comfortable buying this vastly empty(still?) game at about $9.99 or so, just to see how it looks.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Patch to Fix Stats
23. Re: Pillars of Eternity Patch to Fix Stats Apr 1, 2015, 15:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

Verno wrote on Apr 1, 2015, 15:11:
yonder wrote on Apr 1, 2015, 13:34:
I *WILL* buy this in 6 months, assuming it's finished. If gamers NEVER properly hold developers (remember the difference between a dev and a publisher, for goodness' sake!) responsible AT ALL, they will never have any reason to learn.

It's got some bugs like most other RPG releases (Skyrim for example was horribly broken in many ways) but most of them are easily avoidable if you've done any cursory reading about the game. Obsidian also released Southpark which was very well polished. This isn't even up there in terms of buggy stuff they've produced.

Agreed, for the first week of release it's completely playable. Major bugs are known, patch imminent, wait a few days or play now, and you should enjoy it a lot if you're a fan of the old IE games.

My guys are in the 10-11 range now, everything in Defiance Bay is done, all wilderness areas cleared, the Stronghold is fully upgraded and frankly, ridiculous; it's time to move East.

Only regret I have is not doing more of the main quest chain FIRST... clearly there was 1 or more dialogue options in the Endless Dungeon that you could participate in after a certain main quest. Oh well, next playthrough.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Patch to Fix Stats
11. Re: Pillars of Eternity Patch to Fix Stats Apr 1, 2015, 11:53 MoreLuckThanSkill

Quinn wrote on Apr 1, 2015, 11:11:
I love the game, but I'm stunned how we are all uncharacteristically devoid of any real criticism on this game.

1: Balancing. I ended up giving my support tank and all casters GUNS! Why? Because guns trump all. "What would you prefer? A 2h Paladin or a Priest with a gun who can only use auto-attack?" Why, the priest of course!

I would broaden this to say "Ranged." If you experiment with Arbalests, the Winch Crossbows, you will see they are even STRONGER than Arquebuses and pistols. Longer Range(12m vs 10 or 8m), Innate Knockdown ability, Much higher interrupt chance as well, with the same reload speed and Talent buffs for the most part. They lose a bit of crit damage, but knockdown and interrupt make up for it. They probably don't look and sound as cool to most people though, but they end up Gibbing a lot more enemies in my opinion.

The winching reload animation is awesome, also.

War Bows and regular Crossbows are pretty beastly also, only 'bad' Ranged weapon seems to be the Hunting Bow, and even that is still pretty good.

I got the paladin NPC finally, my route through the game has been pretty weird, and am pretty underwhelmed with the class as a whole. Most groups are better off with any of the other NPCs in her place, really. She isn't set up to do great 2h damage, and her class buffs are nothing compared to the abilities of the other 7 NPCs. Also, no helmet due to her Godlike head.

Pathfinding... isn't great, but it's far better than the IE games, honestly. It gets a bit wonky if you just tell your guys to move, while they are in a clump AND enemies are running towards them. I suspect the pathing gets less priority than incoming enemies straight path to your guys, leading them to sometimes run around foolishly unless you are more careful. You can offset this a bit by having 1h/Shield on your weapon switch for most casters, since they won't be doing damage anyway in melee, might as well have some more Deflection in my opinion.

AI in most games is pretty ragged. Dragon Age:Origins probably had the best AI in any rpg in awhile, on PC at least. I just do a lot of pausing.

Without getting too specific, I am getting a very heavy Baldur's Gate 2 vibe from PoEt, in terms of the quest and building layouts, as well as the NPC setups and interactions around Defiance Bay in particular.

Obsidian didn't do a straight copy of BG2, but they definitely lifted heavily from the factional politics and map setups. This isn't necessarily terrible, it just eerily reminds me a lot of BG2 when I encounter the hidden temple in X zone, the hidden necromancer, er I mean animancer , the random NPCs waiting to accost me outside of a building, with a message or a dagger, the secret somewhat benevolent organization, etc.

I'm still enjoying the game, and bugs will get fixed over time. Anything else we'll probably have to wait for mods.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Mar 31, 2015, 21:31 MoreLuckThanSkill

This looks really good, honestly. Most people love the original Cutter, but it was made for about 10 dollars AUS. Isn't this the original director? Only with a real budget now? I hear they did a lot of practical effects in this new film also, aside from obvious safety concerns that led to some cgi.

One could extrapolate, and imagine that George Miller might have made Mad Max (original) more like this, if he had the cash and resources back then in 1979.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Mar 31, 2015, 21:23 MoreLuckThanSkill

Is it just me, or is Gang Beasts hilarious? If they ever add Net multiplayer it'll be one of the best random pickup beat 'em up games ever.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning
56. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 16:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ceribaen wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 13:56:
To be fair, Eder may actually currently be a super tank for you as a result of another bug

Hrm, that sucks, but it would explain a lot. Still, there are a lot of Flat and Percentage increases across the board if you put all the Defensive style perks on him, but I admit I have not added them up manually to make sure they are correct.

He's currently at 120 Deflection, and 80-90 on Reflex/Will/Fortitude, along with some decent Damage Reduction, Spell Reduction, etc. with the best gear I could find or make by level 9-10. Shield and Defensive 1 hander.

I am going to truck on through with this playthrough at any rate, and then wait a couple of weeks for them to do some patches, before I start my next guy.

Ranged rogue with a Benevolent/Honest/Clever soul works pretty well though.

Next character, Monk, Barb, or Cipher, with Devious/Cruel/Rational, I think.

15. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 30, 2015, 21:07 MoreLuckThanSkill

jdreyer wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 21:04:
I'm gonna keep abbreviating it PoEt, because that's more poetical.

*Slow Clap* *Motions to everybody, whole room joins in, speeds up the clapping*

14. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 30, 2015, 21:05 MoreLuckThanSkill

The double click bug is serious, the rest of the bugs seem to be on the level of typos and minor UI issues for the most part. I am curious as to what exactly is wrong with the Ranger pets? I've been using the NPC ranger on and off with no issues aside from the Fox being pretty weak early on.

Arguably even if you get that Double Click bug, you could still finish the game, masochistically of course. Just ranged combat everybody into oblivion with ease, Arbalests and Arquebuses to the rescue!

Level 8-9 currently with my ranged Rogue and mostly caster party, with Eder as a super tank, decimating pretty much the whole game at this point. I'm into Defiance Bay finally... probably should have come here much earlier. These enemies can't survive a Sneak Attack Arbalest bolt to the back. I'm down to level 9 in the Endless Dungeon too; excellent design, and it has made me want to replay with a Lore/Perception/Int based Cipher or Wizard next, just to try to pass some of the dialogue checks with the semi-hostiles down there.

Great game, don't let the bugs get you down!

News Comments > Star Citizen at $77M
16. Re: Star Citizen at $77M Mar 30, 2015, 11:18 MoreLuckThanSkill

Lifetime insurance? What? The balls on this guy! Whenever that single player offline version gets done let me know. (in 2025)

News Comments > Steam Top 10
33. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 29, 2015, 22:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

Dirwulf wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 20:46:

I also want to know how anybody hasn't complained about your first companion attacking your character with the shove ability. WTF is that about? And so many typos and spelling errors. Did anyone edit the friggin' story? Fanboys rave at this game. They convinced me to buy it. Most BN users would be foaming at the mouth. But somehow this game is so good the usual ravers have been seduced.

Well, the game IS good, great even, in many ways. Minor typos and such will get fixed. UI issues will get fixed. I have had companions attack or be attacked by others in the party if they get mind controlled or confused, but that's what the Pause is for, retarget away from teammates.

Hopefully you don't feel as though you got tricked into buying it or something; I'm enjoying the hell out of Pillars so far, even with the standard Obsidian launch day bugs.

Worst case scenario, wait a week or 2 for some patches, then come back to it.

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 29, 2015, 20:36 MoreLuckThanSkill

harlock wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 17:56:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 16:21:
My guys are all 6-7ish, and I haven't even gone to Defiance Bay yet.

just saw this.. and im having a similar problem but not nearly this bad... basically they said at the end of the main story you should be about 8th level.. and remember it doesnt scale, so... also i think the game has a hard level cap at 12

sounds like you skipped right over to endgame content - which i think is what the endless dungeon is designed to be for the most part, aside from the top few levels

Well to be fair, I didn't skip it, my guys are slowly clearing it.

A hard level cap of 12, you say? My goal now is to get to at least level 11 by the end of the game! Although I can see this being difficult, as most humanoids give zero exp, and you only get limited Beastiary experience for monsters/animals. Lockpicking/Trap Disarming to the rescue, maybe.

I can't see how they'd plan on players being only level 8 by the end of the main quest, unless you bypass all the side areas completely.

ps. I think I found some pieces for a Kangaxx style super-boss, but I may be reading too much into it.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 29, 2015, 16:21 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 14:43:
It's PoE. Just cope with it already.

Od Nua is scary. I can only explore it a bit at a time before I have to go sit in the corner and cry like a little girl. Bigcry

I will break you. -Ivan Drago

Od Nua is pretty beautiful once you start getting a few levels down...this game in general is gorgeous. I think I'm addicted to the Sneaking/Danger is Near music at this point too.

The only question I have is: should one attempt to totally finish the Endless Dungeon, fund the Stronghold completely, then continue the story? I am feeling the classic mega-Act 2 BG2 syndrome, where you can do about 75% of the game's content before even getting very far along in the main quest. My guys are all 6-7ish, and I haven't even gone to Defiance Bay yet.

Also, Ciphers are ridiculous...got the Cipher NPC around level 5-6ish, complete beast. Wizards also start getting a lot better at 6+, but my Rogue has still done about 80% of the team's total damage so far.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 29, 2015, 14:24 MoreLuckThanSkill

PoEt >> PoE!

Path of Exile = PoE

Pillars of Eternity = PoEt.

Also, there seem to be several annoying UI/interface errors in PoEt, along with the somewhat major Double Click bug.

Chanters seem to be able to get bugged, and will stop singing randomly in combat, even if they aren't hit/interrupted by enemies.

I'm not sure of the cause yet, but it seems to be something related to Swapping them in and out of the party at an Inn, if their Chant Mode is turned on.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week
44. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 28, 2015, 23:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

Vex wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 22:20:
You can send everything to the stash by clicking the chest icon when the loot window is up and then hitting take all!

Oh, duh. Thanks.

41. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 28, 2015, 18:07 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 16:29:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 15:35:
Ta-da: UI mod is already out.

Thanks. I'd really love a mod that let's us edit the NPC followers. Yeah we can make our own but then we'll miss out on the all the other stuff.

It's practically guaranteed that there will be a NPC Follower Edit or Save Game Edit mod/tool for this game, but maybe not during the first week of release.

I've got faith in the mod community though. This game is good enough to draw in all the old BG1/BG2/IWD modders, even if Obsidian doesn't release some proper mod tools for this game.

40. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 28, 2015, 18:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

panbient wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 09:13:
I started as a Chanter and I'm liking it (focused on summons at the moment) . Takes a bit to get used to though I wouldn't call it bad. But I'm also definitely a spacebar spammer from lots of BG / NWN gaming.

I've had the NPC Chanter, Kana, in my party for a couple of levels now, and it seems like an extremely interesting class. Fights are lasting long enough now that he actually gets to cast a few spells after 3 phrases... the graphical effects are amazing, actual effects are... okay.

I love the chant mechanic, I just wish he chanted a little faster.

Also hope they add a sort button to the stash (or am I just missing the obvious?)

Stash Sort button is needed, as is some form of Force All Loot to Stash, I've tried a couple keys/mouse combos and nothing seems to work. I need every penny too, for that money sink of a Stronghold.

Wizard seems to improve a bit at level 5+, but Druid seems overall to be far more useful. Current party is a Ranged Rogue PC(Arbalests), Eder as Fighter 1h/Shield Tank, Kana as 2h Rifle/Estoc Chanter, Mad Priest with Pistols, Dwarf NPC Ranger(terrible pet choice, Obsidian!), and one eared Druid, who seems to have no weaknesses. The NPC druid's aim is good enough with an upgraded Arbalest, he is okay in humanoid form in melee, and beastly once shapeshifted. On top of that, most of the Druid spells seem superior to Wizard spells, and also with double or triple the casting range.

*EDIT* Typo.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2015, 22:02.

6. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 27, 2015, 22:33 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 21:49:
I've had a bit of a difficult problem wrapping my head around how the classes play with the way they've changed everything from D&D. Sawyer was saying how this would prevent build problems but I'm seeing it as just the opposite with really gimmicky builds. And trying to manage a party of 6 in real-time doesn't help matters. They really should have went turn-based with this.

I finally settled on an Orlan Paladin and now that I have a full party things are much better, but I really think they've made some bad choices with classes and their whole endurance/hp scheme. I absolutely hate casters so far and how they work and the spells aren't very good either. Low level casters need the ability to cast way more and battles are so fast it's almost pointless casting de/buffs and stuff.

We'll see how things progress but I'm not loving this right now.

Currently, Wizard and Chanter are kind of bad, it seems. But this is about the same as BG1, pure casters and bards start off weak, and didn't really start to dominate until BG2. Hopefully it won't be QUITE that late in PoEt, as the level cap is 12, but it makes sense that a level 1-3 Wizard gets almost one shot by a bear, for example. Enemy run speed as a whole seems faster than the players, limiting micro and kiting a lot, without speed debuffs.

As far as the real-time, you can set up more pause breaks in the settings, but it's definitely doable with a lot of Spacebar pause spamming manually.

Endurance and very little straight up HP healing is easily the wierdest choice in the game, I definitely like that change the least. It forces resting every so often regardless of how good your micro and class setups are. They probably did that to force you to trigger certain segments of the story, honestly. BG1/BG2, once you got the hang of it, you could just keep healing/drinking potions for a days in game, and only rest very infrequently. The campfire mechanic is also a bit artificial, but oh well, camp supplies and inns are all over the place.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Released
85. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 27, 2015, 13:37 MoreLuckThanSkill

You guys having some difficulty with combat might want to play this in more of a BG1 conservative style, ie:

0. Pause of course

1. Ranged Combat Ambush from stealth(focus fire), with as many characters as can fire crossbows/War Bows/Arbalests/Muskets(or whatever they are called in game, 2h Rifle) etc. [Pause]

2. Send in your 1h/Shield tank to tie up the group [Pause]

3. AoE debuffs and damage [Pause]

4. THEN send in weaker melee DPS, 2h users, dual wielders, etc. Flanking(attacking from the 180 Degree arc behind an enemy) seems to help a lot for the non-tanks.

It honestly seems like a Rogue/Ranger high dps, ranged especially, will end fights fast enough to make the slower building classes like Chanters somewhat worthless. I've yet to get my npc chanter to three phrases so he can cast spells, the fusilade of gunfire and crossbow bolts ends most fights on contact.

AI can also be exploited a little, especially with the extremely fragile wizard, who has to get into 6 meter range to use spells... Movement Debuff on enemies, get them to target the wizard, run the wizard past your melee tank/dps, who annihilate the guys with Attacks of Opportunity(not called that in game).

I'm loving it so far, very good voice acting too on the wild eyed Rasputin-ish priest and Chanter.

6 Man party all the way for me, lack of Experience bonuses be damned!

Only issue so far is I've turned down more than a few monetary rewards, along the "good" path, could really use some coppers to buff up various weapons.

*EDIT* Grammar.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2015, 14:33.

2114 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo