Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 2058 (Senior)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints
16. Re: Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints Mar 25, 2015, 10:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 09:27:
well it's not like I wanted to buy this, but is anyone surprised? DA:I and Fifa 2015 as well as Lords of the Fallen have all the same problem and restrictions.

Really? Shit. I was going to buy DA:I at some point on sale.

I thought these hardware DRM schemes went out of fashion years ago? Apparently EA ignored Ubisoft's bad press, or something?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gone Gold - Dungeons 2; Specs Released
1. Re: Gone Gold - Dungeons 2; Specs Released Mar 25, 2015, 10:13 MoreLuckThanSkill

Wow, that was fast. Hopefully there's a demo, although the videos have looked really good, to be honest.

April 24th is far enough away that I should be able to get through a solid playthrough of Pillars of Eternity and be in the mood for something else to satisfy nostalgia.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Documentary, Part 2
20. Re: Pillars of Eternity Documentary, Part 2 Mar 25, 2015, 01:50 MoreLuckThanSkill

Keys for backers seem to be available on the Backer Portal, 1:45AM Wednesday. Not sure exactly when they went up, but the process for redeeming on Gog was painless.

Nothing to download though under the tab on gog, of course.

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Mar 25, 2015, 01:06 MoreLuckThanSkill

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 00:25:

I don't want that in my fantasy worlds.

Why do people expect fantasy to obey their bizarre personal ideologies and political correctness anyway? Fantasy is the OPPOSITE of reality. If fantasy duplicates reality it isn't fantasy anymore!

This is already becoming a circular discussion, but that was kind of the point of the article. If it's a fantasy, does it really matter what races/skin tones whatever various characters are? If it doesn't matter, why are you so set against whatever opinion some random person writing an article expresses?

I find it strange that you seem to think your preference for a mostly white game is any more valid than the author's preference for a slightly less-white game.

The author's point is kind of proven in microcosm here, people expressing annoyance or even outrage that somebody questions the racial balance of a fictional universe; like how dare the author question my lily white, vaguely European fantasy setting!?

I think it was a mistake on the author's part to even bring up any Earth based history in regards to a non Earth setting, but I digress.

It's not like Bioware or any other studio is going to read that article and vastly transform their next game or something. Mainstream movies and games will be extremely white for a long, long time.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Mar 24, 2015, 21:12 MoreLuckThanSkill

jdreyer wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 20:43:
Saw this earlier today. So awesome.

Only a couple things could make it a wee bit better: Maybe a little voice acting, and perhaps using the original score. Even a heavy metal version of it. I suppose it won't be long before someone on the internet releases a version with those things.

Well, you aren't wrong, but look at the credits. One man did all the art, one guy did music, one guy did sound effects(largely lifted from Star Wars sources). No way did they have a budget for voice overs.

Also, there better be a Revenge of the X-Wing or something... the Empire cannot win!

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Game Reviews Mar 24, 2015, 17:51 MoreLuckThanSkill

Task wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 17:36:
There are some first impressions floating around for Pillars:

Kotaku - We're really digging PoE (article)

MMORPG POE First Impressions (Youtube)

Thekillerbits POE first impressions (Youtube)

some takeaways:

- no crashing, yeeeh (fairly bug free apparently)
- excellent writing
- can be rather difficult on normal
- has a very classic, throwback feel for those familiar with Baldur's Gate, Torment, Icewind Dale, etc.

Interesting, your takeaways that is. The game release is close enough that I'm avoiding all potential spoilers now, so no reviews.

I wonder why they didn't release the game today(Tuesday) like almost every other game in existence?

17. Re: Pillars of Eternity Documentary, Part 2 Mar 24, 2015, 17:45 MoreLuckThanSkill

nin wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 14:38:
Brandon Adler: "We will most likely release it today. We will make an announcement on the forums when everything is live. There will also be a general backer update, but probably not until some time after our initial announcement on the forums."

Yep, the backer site is down for maintenance right now, not sure if they are setting up for keys, or it's just being hammered by people refreshing, trying to get their keys. [5:45pm East Coast US]

News Comments > H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam
26. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 13:55 MoreLuckThanSkill

Verno wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 13:11:
What annoys me is what Trev mentioned about the shifting business model. The stuff with supply drops was weird too although I'm not sure how it all worked out in the end.

That was just icing on the cake for me, I didn't even know about the aspect Trevalian mentioned... that's just a ridiculous insult.

Then again, that seems to be the way freemium games and mobile games seem to be going these days, and mind boggingly people keep buying them. I am at a loss.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2015, 13:03 MoreLuckThanSkill

Rattlehead wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 11:51:
Speaking of popping pimples, I had quite the nasty pimple on my waste, so I popped it and this little bit of cheese came out.

Sometimes it's okay not to share.

Seriously though, keep the wound clean, good luck.

News Comments > H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam
22. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 13:01 MoreLuckThanSkill

Wetworks24 wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 09:40:
1 million people paying $20 for a game that's going to be free in several months.

This is what amazed me... it's fine to want to play H1Z1, but wtf, wait a few months and play it for free, maybe? Instead of paying to be a beta tester?

Come on now, gaming community!

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2015, 12:58 MoreLuckThanSkill

InBlack wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 10:27:

In Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, the 'brown' people were almost one and all under the influence of Sauron and definitely under his command. Does that make him a rascist? No of course not, in fact the work deals (through allegory) with the very same issues through the various interaction between the characters and different people of Middle Earth.

It may be awhile since you've read Tolkien's work, but I assure you, it's quite easy to interpret the series as at least a little racist. As you yourself said, all non-white humans work for Sauron, all lesser humanoids work for Sauron, while exceedingly white humans and super human elves fight against this mass of evil ugliness.

As with any fictional work, there will be more than one interpretation, and people can argue all day about which one is correct and get nowhere. Just realize there are different interpretations for any novels, games, etc. that aren't inherently wrong.

That said, this article seemed pretty tame to me; wanting more people of color in a future game is hardly going to destroy a fictional universe. In my opinion.

It doesn't even come across as political correctness, more of a request for characters a wider audience can feel more involved with.

12. Re: Pillars of Eternity Documentary, Part 2 Mar 24, 2015, 01:10 MoreLuckThanSkill

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 00:47:
Confused why they don't send out keys for pre load.....damnit...

Backers are supposedly getting their keys by Tuesday, leaving a nice gap before the game goes live Thursday to preload.

At least for Steam... Gog users like myself may have to wait a few more hours on Thursday for the game to unlock.

News Comments > Dungeons 2 Pre-Purchases
3. Re: Dungeons 2 Pre-Purchases Mar 23, 2015, 23:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

Slick wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 23:42:
how did i not know about this? this game looks to Dungeon Keeper the way Cities: Skyline is to SimCity

i'll def try before i buy, unless there's a demo, but this looks at first glance something which has the potential to fill a hole in my gaming life that's been void for far too long... i did fire up boxdox for DK2 not too long ago... still so addictive, so ahead of it's time

This game is under most peoples' radar, simply because Dungeons 1 was so terrible and so far from being a worthy successor to the Dungeon Keeper series.

I hope it does well though; I think Kalypso really learned their lessons from the reception Dungeons 1 received.

News Comments > Dungeons 2 Pre-Purchases
1. Re: Dungeons 2 Pre-Purchases Mar 23, 2015, 22:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

I hope this game ends up being good, as well as a lot closer to Dungeon Keeper than Dungeons 1 was, but I don't think there is any way that I'd preorder it.

This video actually looks pretty good though. Still in my Steam sale list, near the top.

ps. All games come after Pillars of Eternity now.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Mar 23, 2015, 21:14 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, that's a pretty badass Lego animation!

Now I need to go rewatch the first Matrix, and try to forget the sequels.

5. Re: Pillars of Eternity Documentary, Part 2 Mar 23, 2015, 15:02 MoreLuckThanSkill

All the classes seem to have interesting aspects... but the clear, correct answer is ranged rogue, specializing in firearms.

Also I was hoping for a little more development footage in this video series, iterations of characters or classes, etc. and maybe more than just gleeful cheering at their huge pile of Kickstarter money.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2015, 14:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

There is some serious discussion going on in here, but I feel I am required to chime in and say:

Alien vs Pooh is spectacular!

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 23, 2015, 14:17 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hype level: intolerable!

First playthrough will almost certainly be a ranged, gun wielding rogue, probably human. Gunpowder Ambushes > Magic Users?

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patched
3. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patched Mar 23, 2015, 13:45 MoreLuckThanSkill

This really isn't the Bioware of old, or even the Bioware of Dragon Age:Origins.

Still, I'll try this game in a year or so, after some more patches and the price has dropped below $10.

News Comments > Diablo III Gold & Experience Bonus
14. Re: Diablo III Gold & Experience Bonus Mar 23, 2015, 10:01 MoreLuckThanSkill

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 09:42:
There's something about Grim Dawn which rubs me the wrong way. There isn't any sense of achievement while player or feeling as though you've accomplished a goal when you level up, find loot, or move on further in to the game. It just feels so devoid of gratification and it doesn't help that the community is so small as compared to other current ARPGs.

I'd recommend it when it has another 50% off sale and then just sort of sit on it while the developers fill in the game and goes live. Hopefully once that happens, it'll feel more engaging and give a nice boost to the community numbers.

I know what you mean, at least at this point in Grim Dawn's development. Their level-up graphics/audio simply don't have the weight of other games, first of all. On top of that, it's currently rare for a few points in a mastery to radically change your build, and quests don't dramatically change the landscape or anything when you complete them.

On the plus side, this game is moddable, and even if the developers don't draw it together by release, I'm interested to see what the modding community comes up with.

That said, between D3 and Path of Exile, I doubt Grim Dawn will ever have any sort of comparable following, and it also seems like a lot more people do single player offline Grim Dawn than online. (Random guess from their forums)

2058 Comments. 103 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo