Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 2002 (Senior)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Newell on Half-Life
24. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 18, 2015, 10:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

As others have said, Valve has zero reason to actually attempt to make Half-Life 3.

After this long it'd just end up disappointing people anyway, and they are making stupid amounts of cash doing other far simpler things.

I am sure there is a small group of 2-3 people at Valve, working on HL3 fiendishly, but the rest of their company wheeled their desks far away, a long time ago.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity
35. Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 17, 2015, 18:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

Osc8r wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 18:24:
Inspired by BG and Icewind but no parties or co-op?

First off, Heretic! Stone Him!

But seriously, there is a 6 person party you control, of NPCs(premade with their own dialogue) or custom PCs(called Adventurers here, IWD style). There are also some form of hirelings in one or more locations, which are some form of temporary/zone limited companions I believe.

From one of the PAX videos, Adventurers can be created at some point, but your character has to pay in game resources to get them into your party? I am not sure of the exact mechanics but it sounds like they won't be in your party at the start of the game.

No Coop though, as far as I know. I know there was a small segment of the IE game population that actually liked multiplayer, but it always seemed like the vast majority preferred single player. I'm in the single player camp, myself.

Divinity:Original Sin does have coop though, for your coop rpg fix!

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Expansion Revealed
17. Re: Pillars of Eternity Expansion Revealed Mar 17, 2015, 18:12 MoreLuckThanSkill

Quinn wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 17:09:
Noob question: Is PoE part of the Forgotten Realms? Please say yes (unless it's a lie).

No. Obsidian, as far as I know, has no rights to use Forgotten Realms or any other flavor of D&D/AD&D for PoEt (PoE = Path of Exile!)

It's definitely more than just a tip of the hat to D&D style rulesets and lore though. Personally I'm glad they aren't tied down by any WotC or any other company's lore, but I can get the argument for a game like this being based in an established universe that people love, too.

I have faith that Obsidian's writing ability is good enough to build a new universe that's still entertaining and usable, game-wise.

28. Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 17, 2015, 17:29 MoreLuckThanSkill

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 17:26:
soooo as a KS person who backed the game....when do I get to play?

March 26th, post download from Gog or Steam?

News Comments > Dungeons 2 Demons Trailer
2. Re: Dungeons 2 Demons Trailer Mar 17, 2015, 16:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 13:08:
Terrible music for a game like this.

I think that music is just for this trailer, so no worries. I'm still looking forward to this game, hopefully this time, they live up to the Dungeon Keeper nostalgic hopes everybody had for Dungeons 1.

21. Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 17, 2015, 15:52 MoreLuckThanSkill

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 15:40:
You need to realize that to some people, 225$ isn't that much. It's all relative to income and spending. Some people got the money.. I get jealous of the people able to kickstart 10,000$ pledges. Now that's money to burn.

$225 isn't a lot to most of us on Bluesnews, myself included, as we're all(mostly?) old farts at this point with careers. But the formerly impoverished me shudders at spending full price or full price+ on any non-existent game...I'd probably go into convulsions at $1,000 or more for software, regardless of the promises. Luckily for nin and other people who bought higher tiers, this game looks like it'll actually live up to most of our hopes without too much trouble.

14. Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 17, 2015, 14:11 MoreLuckThanSkill

nin wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 13:57:
KS says I spent $225 on this one. But it looks fantastic, and exactly what I was hoping it would be.

And I have a week of vacation in 3 weeks!

$225? SHeeeeeeeiiiiiitttt.(Clay Davis)

That makes me feel somewhat better, I am in for $55(Digital Deluxe+Expansion) and I was a bit annoyed at myself for it.

9. Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 17, 2015, 13:36 MoreLuckThanSkill

Task wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 13:22:
Was the box/disc version only a kickstarter reward or is there a hidden way to still buy the box? I don't see it on that pre-order page, which is bumsville.

I think you may be out of luck to get a physical disc version at this point, unfortunately. They had a survey for the physical goods portion at least a few weeks ago, possibly as long as a month ago, for people to decide to get their items shipped to them early or after release, etc. I think the deadline to order discs was even earlier than that.

Ranged Firearm Rogue, classic melee fighter, druid, or pure INT style caster, for the first character? That's the main question now.

Also, people of Bluesnews, aid me in bringing PoEt to the forefront as the Pillars of Eternity abbreviation!(Avoids confusion with Path of Exile, etc.)

*EDIT* Also, anybody else who Kickstarted this, we don't get the choice of Steam or Gog until March 26th, right? Or is there an option somewhere on their page?
*EDIT*
Update 91 wrote:
On the week of release we will give you another backer update that goes into detail on how to use our reward redemption system on the Backer Portal.

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 2015, 14:15.

News Comments > Joe Montana Football 16 Revealed
2. Re: Joe Montana Football 16 Revealed Mar 17, 2015, 10:45 MoreLuckThanSkill

I can just see the youth of today, confronted by this title:

"Joe Montana? Is he that fat old jerk who keeps eating Peyton Manning's Papa Johns pizza?"

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Expansion Revealed
5. Re: Pillars of Eternity Expansion Revealed Mar 17, 2015, 10:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

Must... avoid...any...spoilers...

Must...avoid..getting...too...hyped up...

That aside, The PoEt expansion has been known of since the Kickstarter started getting some decent funding; it was one of the stretch goals I think? It's been on sale on their website for awhile now.

Based on my admittedly limited understanding of PoEt mechanics so far, this may be the first RPG I play through as a rogue(firearms based) first, instead of a melee fighter of some sort.

This game looks so good!

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 15, 2015, 07:32 MoreLuckThanSkill

Their goals are lofty, their funding microscopic, surely this game will succeed in spectacular fashion!

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Confirmed
42. Re: Titanfall 2 Confirmed Mar 13, 2015, 23:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

Slick wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 19:46:
I've been fragging since Wolfenstein 3D, 24 years strong.

Oh my [Insert Deity Here]... was Wolf 3D really that long ago? Shit, I'm old.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Mar 13, 2015, 16:53 MoreLuckThanSkill

I'd say that those sounds are terrifying, but I assume somebody, somewhere, is making something utterly beautiful with that pedal.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Mar 13, 2015, 16:52 MoreLuckThanSkill

Is that Alien:Isolation sale regional or something? It shows at full price, no sale, $49.99 for me.

News Comments > Act of Aggression Trailer
3. Re: Act of Aggression Trailer Mar 13, 2015, 14:02 MoreLuckThanSkill

This looks pretty good, definitely has an old school C&C feel to it.

I'll be keeping tabs on this, while I wait for Grey Goo to go on sale.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Gameplay Footage
3. Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Gameplay Footage Mar 13, 2015, 14:00 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, looks pretty good, gameplay wise. The players in that stream are terrible though, I couldn't watch long.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2015, 13:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 10:49:

And whilst that Assemblyman's bill is reaching the intent is good. We have to be way more careful with GMOs than we currently are. A lot of it is already biting us in the ass and that will only get progressively worse. The fact that Obama has effectively put Monsanto and Cargill in charge of the USDA only makes it worse.

No one will argue with you that Monsanto and Cargill are literally evil corporations, but GMOs in and of themselves are not necessarily harmful. All the food you eat is genetically modified, whether via selective breeding or more modern techniques. Go find some "natural" corn, then compare it to store bought corn, if you really want to feel bad about eating something.

As far as "GMOs" in vaccines... well that's just a terrible understanding of vaccines in general. There will be no vaccines in NY if they actually passed that bill. Supposedly that assemblyman has already come to his senses though, that's an old bit of news.

Offtopic: Has anybody bought Ori and the Blind Forsest on Steam? It looks surpisingly good, and I never even heard of it until today.

News Comments > New Killing Floor 2 Video Diary
2. Re: New Killing Floor 2 Video Diary Mar 12, 2015, 20:25 MoreLuckThanSkill

By Odin's Ravens...

this game is already looking spectacular! Now they just need to actually, you know, plan a release date within our lifetimes, and we'll be set.

The coop team is already hungry for this game, so come on already, Tripwire!

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
17. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 12, 2015, 20:17 MoreLuckThanSkill

NKD wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 17:36:
That's my entire point. It's like someone complaining that their city is flooding and you hand them a five million dollar gold plated diamond encrusted bucket. It sure looks and sounds nice, but what's it going to do against the "sea of assholes" as you put it?

If that's your entire point, then you have no point, no offense. Your hyperbolic example is nowhere near the same. If people started getting prosecuted for making death threats, then it may indeed make others less inclined to spew hate online. It certainly isn't slowing them down when everybody just says "meh, ignore it."

And let's not forget what you originally said, which was that by opposing the five million dollar gold plated bucket, you're supporting rapists and murderers. And if, as you say, I'm over-estimating the resources necessary to accomplish this task, then it's a rusty bucket that isn't going to do them any better than the gold bucket.

Tacit acceptance isn't outright support, but it's hardly a form of protest. That said, I should have used a different pronoun than "you" for the last 3 sentences. I meant it in the broad, generic sense, but clearly it was interpreted it as you personally.

I'd say it's pretty clear at this point that just ignoring these threats hasn't worked for these few public women. Bucket material aside, perhaps it is indeed time for somebody to actually try doing something. Clearly our opinions differ here.

Let me ask you a simple question: If people like Brianna Wu are hoping for actual, meaningful relief from the pressures of online harassment while still doing the same stuff that drew the attention of the assholes to begin with, do you, or do you not believe law enforcement can provide it?

Do you think that the actual arrests of one or more people for murder/rape threats would change nothing? Are you suggesting that Wu or anybody else who gets threatened online should just completely give in to the threats and vanish?

It's still a free country, in that you can express your opinion without the threat of physical violence. If somebody threatens you, then yes, law enforcement exists to try to alleviate that, even if it's going to take some work on their end.

I personally believe that if the FBI gets a bit of a fire lit under their collective asses they could at least make some very public arrests of a few people, which may or may not help, long term. It makes a lot more sense to me than having everybody do NOTHING except hope these people making threats get bored. In fact, doing nothing seems to be encouraging them more than anything else.

We're beating the horse to red paste here, and obviously I can't predict the future any more than you can.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
15. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 12, 2015, 15:37 MoreLuckThanSkill

NKD wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 14:30:

The FBI, and any law enforcement agency, treat threats according to their credibility, not their amount. That's why they haven't delved into online harassment in any real way. There's absolutely tons of it, but it so rarely goes any further than anonymous hurtful words over the Internet. They WILL tell people to try and ignore threats, because there's simply nothing they can do to prevent them. It's a technical and legal impossibility. They sure as fuck will never tell someone to publicize their threats on Twitter for months and months.

Do you really think the FBI can do anything more than waste taxpayer money on symbolic enforcement? Do you really think that it is within their abilities to prevent someone who is unpopular online from receiving harassment? Would some symbolic but ultimately fruitless attempt to catch some online harassers actually do anything to help these people?

Once again, you seem to be ignoring the actual situation, and are firing off on straw men. No one has said that the FBI is either responsible for, or able to stop all harassment.

Whether or not any threats made to person X are judged credible, is not known by you or me. You ASSUME no credible threats were made, but you simply do not know. Honestly you have no idea what the FBI or any other law enforcement agency may have said to any of the people mentioned in the article, stop assuming you know what they would do.

The internet isn't some magical realm where people are suddenly free from all laws. Is it harder to catch people? Yes. Is it legally impossible? No. Now any lack of interest by the FBI/DoJ might be getting overruled, depending on what happens with Rep. Clark, at least in the few cases mentioned in the article.

As far as government dollars being wasted, Anything spent here would pale in comparison to US military spending on such boondoggles as the F35 or Bradley.

Also I think you seem to be overestimating the anonymity of the internet. Dread Pirate Roberts, multiple Anonymous people, you name it, they all got caught if they caused enough of a hassle.

That'll probably be what eventually happens here, a few whackjobs get arrested for posting rape/murder threats, out of a sea of assholes.

2002 Comments. 101 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo