Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 1245 (Pro)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Resident Evil 4 HD Next Month
1. Re: Resident Evil 4 HD Next Month Jan 21, 2014, 12:00 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, HD doesn't seem to have improved a whole lot. I did enjoy this on the PC, back when it was bargain bin, in spite of the control translation issues. No interest in spending 20 bucks on this though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2014, 15:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

DayZ is going to be something people want, in about 2 years.

I wonder when/if people are going to stop suporting the Kickstarter/Greenlight/Alpha Release/Not a Real Game yet business model. Not anytime soon, apparently.

That said, I of course contributed to Grim Dawn and Project Eternity(Pillars of Eternity). Glass house -> stones.

News Comments > Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch
16. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch Jan 17, 2014, 21:32 MoreLuckThanSkill

GFWL needs to go, but not before I finish up Dark Souls! It still has GFWL attached.

Somehow I suspect the Dark Souls guys are not going to patch it out either.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Jan 17, 2014, 15:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 13:06:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 12:44:
Obviously the goal is also to get SteamOS to the point to where you don't have to reboot to play games, it's your main OS.

And that one is a looong way off. So many non-game apps would have to be fitted to Steam OS. For many I have to suspect what they read as a bottom line is "reboot for games only". And why am i rebooting, when today I don't need to at all and get everything. I'm not against it and maybe someday it will be a savior. Good luck, I'll use it when it make a lot of sense for me to do so.

SteamOS is currently still a linux distro, so most if not all linux apps (LibreOffice, Firefox, etc.) are already available. Of course it rarely pays to be an early adopter of any technology, if you're not willing to be a beta tester basically, now is not the time for you to be using SteamOS. I suspect Valve will throw enough people and money at this though, for it to be vastly improved a few years down the road.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jan 17, 2014, 12:44 MoreLuckThanSkill

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 12:15:

Why is SteamOS needed?

I can't see myself ever going back to a time where I reboot to play a game, and I don't see Valve getting application developers to an extent that I can give up Windows entirely.

I can't say that it's necessary for everyone, but I would definitely like an alternative to Windows. They are already making Windows 9, apparently. MS has repeatedly shown a willingness to lock new versions of DirectX into new versions of windows, eventually forcing people to upgrade.

A SteamOS (or a decent Linux distro) with a DirectX alternative would be better for all of us, if only to give options to people who both own a computer and want to play games. Would SteamOS be less of a walled garden than what Microsoft apparently is aiming for? I don't know, but at least somebody is making an alternative. WINE doesn't count, currently OpenGL doesn't count either.

Obviously the goal is also to get SteamOS to the point to where you don't have to reboot to play games, it's your main OS.

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Free Weekend
2. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Free Weekend Jan 17, 2014, 12:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

Keep in mind, Men of War: Assault Squad 2 comes out February 20th!

I bought CoH2 when it was on sale last time, somewhat underwhelmed. Men of War series not only blows CoH2 up, some of the infantry have taken it over, repaired it,and driven off in it.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jan 17, 2014, 11:18 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well duh.

This is true... today. Valve is aiming for years down the line. As much as I like to bash Valve for not releasing HL3 or even Episode 3, SteamOS is needed. A valid DirectX replacement is needed next, which will be doable, but difficult.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 16, 2014, 00:14 MoreLuckThanSkill

Now that's some Alliteration! boingboing.net of all places.

News Comments > Dodge Wars Announced
6. Re: Dodge Wars Announced Jan 16, 2014, 00:09 MoreLuckThanSkill

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 22:05:
Super Dodge Ball was awesome. But this... this is a kid-friendly third-person shooter. I'd rather fire up an emulator for some 2D eye-popping ball-to-face action.

I was thinking the same thing when I watched this video. This is an insult to Super Dodgeball.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
2. Re: Morning Screenshots Jan 15, 2014, 16:46 MoreLuckThanSkill

They look very nice, but what nub was playing in some of those? A full APC = you just got 10 soldiers blown up by an anti-tank grenade!

Always empty your passengers, only drivers and gunners in those deathtrap APCs.

News Comments > Catlateral Damage
8. Re: Catlateral Damage Jan 14, 2014, 18:37 MoreLuckThanSkill

So... there truly is no hope for the human race? That's the general vibe I'm getting from the existence of this game/video.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Jan 14, 2014, 07:10 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 18:47:
He and Rudd are far, far too old for these roles. If they had got Ant to consult he'd tell them so.

Exactly... what the hell are they thinking? Michael Douglas is like 70? Please stop trampling my childhood, Marvel movie division!

For the record, Hugh Jackman is too tall to be Wolverine, and has chicken leg syndrome. Angela Bassett should have been Storm, Patrick Stewart and Gandalf were acceptable as Prof X and Magneto.

Also, ruining the Mandarin... UNFORGIVABLE!

*EDIT* Hrm, reading the story, apparently Douglas might be a villain in the film, not Hank Pym himself. Here's hoping.

News Comments > The Repopulation Kickstarter Progress
5. Re: The Repopulation Kickstarter Progress Jan 11, 2014, 16:32 MoreLuckThanSkill

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 11, 2014, 15:59:

So you're assuming it wouldn't be popular enough for them to make enough money to cover the expenses? Well for the same reason, they wouldn't need very much money to support the smaller playerbase, would they? And anyway, it doesn't look like this is one of those projects that doesn't exist in any form yet, and they're asking for the money to start from scratch, it's more of a shot in the arm thing. In fact, this is their second Kickstarter, after they raised $53k last year, and they already have $75k pledged with 15 days to go. But even before that first one last summer, they already had a prototype made that they were showing footage of. I totally missed it then, but it went on to impress a lot of people at PAX, so I'm pretty sure I'll pitch in this time around. Could be something to replace what FireFall has failed to achieve, for me.

I saw that this was one of a few kickstarters(over or planned), but all of them together seem to fall below even 1 million dollars. I didn't do a ton of research, maybe they have additional funding? If the game isn't popular, the MMO model fails for most games. How popular does it have to be, hopefully their accountant knows. I'll keep an eye out for more footage, but this would have to be spectacular for me to contribute. Then again I rarely go in on MMOs, so it's just my opinion.

News Comments > The Repopulation Kickstarter Progress
3. Re: The Repopulation Kickstarter Progress Jan 11, 2014, 15:02 MoreLuckThanSkill

That doesn't look half bad, but isn't it pretty much guaranteed that any Kickstartered MMO is going to fail? How will they possibly get enough funding to pay for the servers/bandwidth etc, let alone the art/sound assets?

I notice this kickstarter was only for 50k... right. All that said, pretty interesting video, although they did keep repeating the same few video sequences over and over.

Will not contribute, will buy a lottery ticket if this game actually makes it to release.

News Comments > Men of War: Assault Squad 2 Next Month; Preorders Underway
7. Re: Men of War: Assault Squad 2 Next Month; Preorders Underway Jan 10, 2014, 12:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

Angrius Maximis wrote on Jan 10, 2014, 12:39:
No way in fuck this game is better than CoH you people are nuts. Its linear, annoying and leaves no lee way for true strategy.

Opinions are going to differ, of course, but I find it surprising you think CoH is somehow more strategic (or tactical) than MoW:AS. MoW:AS is certainly less forgiving, I wouldn't argue that, but by Odin, you have so many options in the game!

Make an all LMG/HMG infantry squad? Sure. Make an all RPG squad? Sure. Slow expand/turtle/artillery? sure. Go all heavy armor, go light tank/fast expand, etc. Go infantry only? Doable, for the masochists. Once you figure out your unit setups, you can work on your overall strategies. I prefer fast expand with light units + HMG to heavy tanks, but that's just me. If the other guys do the same, attrition turtling can let you catch a breather long enough to push back.

I won't say that you aren't going to get punished via easily losing your units if you make a mistake, as opposed to CoH, where you can hit the "Run Home and be nigh invincible to bullets" at any time, but that's an improvement in my opinion.

At least for me, CoH seems a lot simpler and arguably boring in comparison.

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Free Weekend
19. Re: Torchlight 2 Free Weekend Jan 10, 2014, 12:46 MoreLuckThanSkill

Torchlight 2 isn't bad and there are some decent mods, but I admit I've put more time into Titan Quest and Diablo 3 than TL2/TL1. Titan Quest is great with mods, by the way, much like Diablo 2 with mods is outstanding, after you get tired of the vanilla version.

Dungeon Siege... is an acquired taste. Each of the games was different enough that it's best to discuss them separately, imo. Dungeon Siege 1 was enjoyable to me purely from the ability to have an 8 person party in an ARPG, although some of the maps were just way to big and uniform. A thousand of the square head guys throwing rocks, in a vast underground plain? Ok. A massive winter wilderness full of wolves who need to get pin cushioned with arrows? Ok. I liked the smaller levels better, it just got annoying grinding through some of the outdoor zones.

Dungeon Siege 2, better combat model by far, somewhat crappy loot system, and the penalty of smaller parties. Still, a pretty interesting game, with a good pause/issue order combat system to make use of all your characters' abilities.

Dungeon Siege 3, the demo put me to sleep, couldn't bring myself to ever buy it, but every now and then I run across somebody who loved it. I subsequently shun those people.

Speaking of ARPGs, I hope you all have Grim Dawn on your radar. Even the Alpha version that's available now is pretty good, I'm looking forward to the full release.

News Comments > Rambo Trailer; Game Release Next Month?
5. Re: Rambo Trailer; Game Release Next Month? Jan 10, 2014, 12:36 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, this looks pretty hilarious in the trailer, and will no doubt be horrible.

However, I am amazed, that in this day and age, they couldn't make a face/head model that looks a little more like Stallone in the early Rambo years. Surely somebody could have done a little better work there?

News Comments > Men of War: Assault Squad 2 Next Month; Preorders Underway
5. Re: Men of War: Assault Squad 2 Next Month; Preorders Underway Jan 10, 2014, 12:29 MoreLuckThanSkill

I am torn. I love the Men of War series, and Assault Squad was the best of the bunch.

But Assault Squad 2 unfortunately uses a new[from a different series] engine, and apparently has a lot of features "players asked for" but they mostly sound like things a decent patch for Assault Squad 1 could provide. In principle, I should boycott this sequel.

I guess that's why they are throwing us the 10% off bone.

Bleh who am I kidding, I'll most likely buy it.

News Comments > Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum
26. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 21:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

ViRGE wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 18:37:
garrywong wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 12:38:
Uh, what kind of game is Respawn? I thought Respawn Entertainment was the name of the studio, and they were making a game called Titanfall?
Ditto. I feel like I'm missing something here.
Typo/brain fart by Blue. This is the first time this has ever happened.

News Comments > GOG.com Turns Five
8. Re: GOG.com Turns Five Jan 8, 2014, 21:13 MoreLuckThanSkill

*Commences slow clap, that speeds up as the room joins in*

Good work, GoG.

1245 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo