Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 1939 (Pro)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 12, 2015, 11:17 MoreLuckThanSkill

NKD wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 04:05:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 23:04:
Just try not to support threats of rape or murder, or hey, even harassment, of people you disagree with. Crazy concept, I know.

You sound like some kind of "tough on crime" right wing loon, where you can't possibly be opposed to tougher punishments, stronger enforcement, and more zealous law enforcement, or else you're just supporting rapists and murderers.

I don't support rapists, murderers, or people who threaten same. I also don't support an FBI file being opened up and an investigation getting started every time some anonymous fuck says some disgusting shit online. Contrary to what you seem to believe, you can be opposed to reprehensible behavior and at the same time not give a blank check to waste taxpayer dollars on fruitless efforts to combat it.

And regardless of what I support, it's not even feasible to police online threats in any kind of effective way. I assume you're familiar with the technical limitations.

Did you actually read the article? We're retreading the same arguments here already, but at no point did anyone mention tracking down EVERY threat ever made online, or anything close to it.

I am as far from right wing as you can get, and I honestly find it comical that you would somehow think that from what I wrote. I can see the slippery slope that stuff like this could potentially lead to as well, but I don't think the answer is to just tell people getting repeatedly threatened to just ignore it.

Surely you can understand being threatened with rape and death constantly for months MIGHT actually warrant some sort of more active response from the FBI? Especially in these two or so cases where people have had to abandon their homes/apartments in fear of their lives?

I know, anything said online is fake, according to you. Once again, that judgement isn't up to you. As far as actively catching somebody making threats, well it all depends on how many mistakes they make, etc. just like most crimes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 11, 2015, 23:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

NKD wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 22:41:
There's not much reason for the FBI to "crack down" on online trolling and harassment. If you have to choose where to allocate law enforcement resources, why the fuck would that be anywhere on their priority list?

Trying to find a bunch of teenagers hiding behind proxies and people in other countries who like to say mean things on the Internet is not really a good use of their time. Frankly the FBI wastes enough time on bullshit already.

Plus, unfortunately for Brianna Wu and her moron squad, actual law enforcement has a very different definition of harassment than the anti-Gamergate crowd who think that disagreement is harassment because it's unwanted disagreement that they don't want to hear.

Clearly it's the death and rape threats they don't want to hear, and yes, the FBI should do more about those level of threats.

Is every threat directed towards a person online genuine? Highly unlikely. Is EVERY threat just some "teenagers hiding behind proxies" or whatever other category you want to name? No one is going to know until it's too late obviously.

Considering several of these women have been threatened with rape and murder for months, and some of them have felt scared enough to move, then yes it's time to get the FBI really involved. Rep Clark I'm sure was underwhelmed with the FBI's initial responses.

Clearly you disagree on what the FBI should be doing, but luckily you are not in control of the FBI.

Disagree all you want with whatever game/movie/literary critic you want. Just try not to support threats of rape or murder, or hey, even harassment, of people you disagree with. Crazy concept, I know.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Mar 11, 2015, 22:27 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, I'm into PoEt for $55 I think, Game+extras + Expansion, and I'm really looking forward to it.

But really, Obsidian is always about to go under, hehe. Every time I turn around they are barely getting a game out the door, hence their unfortunate reputation for buggy releases.

As it is, they are basically Black Isle 2.0, which had to close back in the day.

All of that said, I wish them all the best!

News Comments > Titanfall DLC Goes Free to Celebrate Anniversary
5. Re: Titanfall DLC Goes Free to Celebrate Anniversary Mar 11, 2015, 22:10 MoreLuckThanSkill

Dammit, tempted to buy this(base game that is), but I have to assume this game is totally dead by now, multiplayer population wise.

Deluxe version of Titanfall is listed at $19.99 right now on Origin, hrm.

News Comments > Seven Dragon Saga Kickstarter
6. Re: Seven Dragon Saga Kickstarter Mar 11, 2015, 22:08 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, I'll keep an eye on this, definitely interested. I'm not sure if I want to contribute to yet another Kickstarter with barely Alpha footage so far though.

SSI was arguably my favorite game studio back in the day, I hope these guys still have the chops.

2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 11, 2015, 21:28 MoreLuckThanSkill

Julio wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 21:07:
Guess the politicians see potential votes here by going after gamers.

You must be confused. You are supposedly in favor of harassment and threats being reported to the authorities. Your focus is on corruption in gaming journalism. Right?

Luckily, "gamers" are not under attack. Fringe elements which you do not support at all, SWATters and people sending rape and death threats, hopefully will be. You can commence your applause any time now. Because none of those people are involved in the "real" Gamergate, right?

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 10, 2015, 16:53 MoreLuckThanSkill

CCTV in every home? Oh of course it's the UK, although I think there have been one or two blurbs preaching the same thing in the US.

We can't be safe and free until we've given up all of our freedoms!

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Gameplay Footage
8. Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Gameplay Footage Mar 10, 2015, 16:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

Reloading, it depends on the game, for me. If reloading is very fast, as it is in Wolfenstein:TNO, especially when you get the perks, then shit yeah, reload after every shot if you're behind cover.

Most games penalize reloading enough that it behooves you to only reload in downtimes, BF4, CS:S, etc. and conserve ammo per mag.

More on topic: This looks pretty good, and I enjoyed W:TNO a lot, I'm probably sold on it already.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 10, 2015, 11:20 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 10:37:
If you're looking at a clock on a webpage than you're doing something.

Baby steps, baby steps.

You can't just jump into meditation from this nonstop cellphone/tablet/twitter/etc. world, people would be dying of shock.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2015, 12:24 MoreLuckThanSkill

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 11:17:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 11:05:
GMT for everyone? Hehe. I am fine with getting rid of DST, but be realistic. Getting rid of time zones helps no one.
What are you talking about? It will help anyone who ever communicates with someone in another time zone. So, when you tell your co-worker two time zones away, the meeting is at 14:00. There is no question about when the meeting is.

Ok, maybe saying "no one" was a bit of an overstatement, but my job regularly involves communication across several time zones, and we run on zulu/GMT because of it. However when we step outside, local time makes vastly more sense, because of the angle of the sun, and the rest of local humanity. Most other industries run in a similar manner, I'd hope.

*EDIT* Unless the majority of people start sleeping during broad daylight, or working during current late night/early morning hours, the world won't really function on GMT. Studies have shown messing up the circadian rhythms like that is really unhealthy.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2015, 12:30.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2015, 11:05 MoreLuckThanSkill

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 09:19:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 09:18:
I think we all should have the same time! And where I live it should be like it was!
I agree, GMT for everyone, everything, everywhere, all the time. End all time zones and "daylight savings".

GMT for everyone? Hehe. I am fine with getting rid of DST, but be realistic. Getting rid of time zones helps no one.

Also, nice Zirconia teeth, thanks dental technology!

News Comments > Sunday Previews
1. Re: Sunday Previews Mar 9, 2015, 06:50 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, this sounds like a vastly (graphically) superior version of Interstate '76... hope it overcomes the movie-game tie in curse, and lives up to my personal hopes.

Plus it's by the makers of Just Cause, so they hopefully end up making something stupidly fun in the end.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Mar 5, 2015, 20:40 MoreLuckThanSkill

Almost nothing worth it on there, but I did pick up Defense Grid 2 on Steam... it's actually pretty good! I'd heard a lot of bad things about the game, but so far(through mission 16?) only thing I've noticed is one seemingly unoptimized level that ran pretty slowly with everything maxxed out on settings.

News Comments > Into the Black
16. Re: Into the Black Mar 5, 2015, 12:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

As far as Babylon 5 goes, you should also keep in mind season 1 basically had a budget of about 3 dollars. After that they got rolling and got some actual funding. Not a LOT more, but enough that the effects and props weren't completely embarassing.

Babylon 5 is one of my favorite shows, all time, but yes, it did take some time to really get rolling.

*EDIT* Babylon 5 vs Firefly isn't really a fair comparison, completely different scope and flavor, in my opinion. Apples and Bananas, etc.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2015, 12:28.

11. Re: Into the Black Mar 5, 2015, 01:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 22:46:
I guess it's a holdover from my comic collecting as a kid in the late 70's/early 80s. I just liked the Avengers better from that period. My main staples were Avengers, Submariner, Thor, and Flash. Hope the Inhumans don't suck when it arrives.

Is there an Inhumans movie confirmed? That'll be real hard to do right... completely silent Black Bolt, a Medusa and Gorgon that don't look ridiculous, the gigantic teleporting dog, lol. If they pull that off it'll be amazing. There have been some great Inhumans storylines though, so they should have some decent source material to start with at least.

7. Re: Into the Black Mar 4, 2015, 21:38 MoreLuckThanSkill

jdreyer wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 21:28:
I feel Marvel missed a huge opportunity by not including Ms./Captain Marvel in the Avengers with her own movie prequel. She's a superhero with bona fide super powers, and has been a member of the Avengers for decades.

The problem with this Avengers lineup stems from their decision to base it off of the Ultimate Avengers lineup: Black Nick Fury(instead of crusty old white Nick Fury), and the rest as you see them now, minus Hank Pym. They also, for some mind boggling reason, kept Black Widow as a baseline human, albeit a highly trained one. In almost every version she's the Russian super-soldier knockoff of Captain America, and the Black Widow program has a pretty decent and interesting back story. She barely even used her wrist weapons in the first film, which are her bread and butter weapons on top of it all.

Hawkeye needed a different actor and script to be good honestly. Renner is a great actor, but he is not physically impressive enough to be a Hawkeye, who gets by on insane levels of training and aim to hang with the Hulk/Thor etc.

Power wise, Hank Pym, Captain Marvel, Wonder Man, Vision, Submariner, Wolverine, Luke Cage/Iron Fist, etc. etc. (or any of the other past powered Avengers) would make for a stronger overall team than Black Widow and Hawkeye, but what can you do.

/End Comic Nerd rant.

All that said, I'm required by law to see the next Avengers movie.

*EDIT* Grammar, List error.

1. Re: Into the Black Mar 4, 2015, 19:43 MoreLuckThanSkill

Dammit, Trailer makers, STOP SPOILING ENTIRE FILMS IN THE TRAILER.

*Disclaimer: I avoided watching this trailer, so maybe they avoided massive spoilers in this one instance, but you know what I meanin general.

News Comments > Magicka 2 in May
1. Re: Magicka 2 in May Mar 4, 2015, 19:41 MoreLuckThanSkill

Looks excellent. Loved the first one, pretty much a guaranteed buy unless the price ends up being insane.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Announced
8. Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Announced Mar 4, 2015, 14:51 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, looks very good. I loved W:TNO right up until the ending, so I'm pretty much sold on this.

What do those crazy non US dollar prices translate into, roughly 25 bucks or so? Seems acceptable. Might be tempted to wait for a sale though, W:TNO itself was pretty short.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 4, 2015, 12:20 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, PoEt is sounding pretty damned good every time there's a preview.

No level scaling, tons of side content, multiple solutions to zones/quests, hopefully the actual combat lives up to my somewhat lofty expectations!

"One is Raedric's Hold, a gothic fortress that can be completed in a number of ways, whether it's direct confrontation in combat, talking your way through the front gate or sneaking inside."

Combat. Direct Combat. At least for the first playthrough.

1939 Comments. 97 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo