Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 1150 (Pro)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Free Weekend
19. Re: Torchlight 2 Free Weekend Jan 10, 2014, 12:46 MoreLuckThanSkill

Torchlight 2 isn't bad and there are some decent mods, but I admit I've put more time into Titan Quest and Diablo 3 than TL2/TL1. Titan Quest is great with mods, by the way, much like Diablo 2 with mods is outstanding, after you get tired of the vanilla version.

Dungeon Siege... is an acquired taste. Each of the games was different enough that it's best to discuss them separately, imo. Dungeon Siege 1 was enjoyable to me purely from the ability to have an 8 person party in an ARPG, although some of the maps were just way to big and uniform. A thousand of the square head guys throwing rocks, in a vast underground plain? Ok. A massive winter wilderness full of wolves who need to get pin cushioned with arrows? Ok. I liked the smaller levels better, it just got annoying grinding through some of the outdoor zones.

Dungeon Siege 2, better combat model by far, somewhat crappy loot system, and the penalty of smaller parties. Still, a pretty interesting game, with a good pause/issue order combat system to make use of all your characters' abilities.

Dungeon Siege 3, the demo put me to sleep, couldn't bring myself to ever buy it, but every now and then I run across somebody who loved it. I subsequently shun those people.

Speaking of ARPGs, I hope you all have Grim Dawn on your radar. Even the Alpha version that's available now is pretty good, I'm looking forward to the full release.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rambo Trailer; Game Release Next Month?
5. Re: Rambo Trailer; Game Release Next Month? Jan 10, 2014, 12:36 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, this looks pretty hilarious in the trailer, and will no doubt be horrible.

However, I am amazed, that in this day and age, they couldn't make a face/head model that looks a little more like Stallone in the early Rambo years. Surely somebody could have done a little better work there?

News Comments > Men of War: Assault Squad 2 Next Month; Preorders Underway
5. Re: Men of War: Assault Squad 2 Next Month; Preorders Underway Jan 10, 2014, 12:29 MoreLuckThanSkill

I am torn. I love the Men of War series, and Assault Squad was the best of the bunch.

But Assault Squad 2 unfortunately uses a new[from a different series] engine, and apparently has a lot of features "players asked for" but they mostly sound like things a decent patch for Assault Squad 1 could provide. In principle, I should boycott this sequel.

I guess that's why they are throwing us the 10% off bone.

Bleh who am I kidding, I'll most likely buy it.

News Comments > Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum
26. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 21:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

ViRGE wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 18:37:
garrywong wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 12:38:
Uh, what kind of game is Respawn? I thought Respawn Entertainment was the name of the studio, and they were making a game called Titanfall?
Ditto. I feel like I'm missing something here.
Typo/brain fart by Blue. This is the first time this has ever happened.

News Comments > GOG.com Turns Five
8. Re: GOG.com Turns Five Jan 8, 2014, 21:13 MoreLuckThanSkill

*Commences slow clap, that speeds up as the room joins in*

Good work, GoG.

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 and Other Steam Games Revealed?
2. Re: Killing Floor 2 and Other Steam Games Revealed? Jan 8, 2014, 16:09 MoreLuckThanSkill

Tripwire needs to hurry up and actually finish/release Killing Floor 2... I am sure they have to be sick of all the money they aren't making from Red Orchestra by now.

News Comments > Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum
22. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 16:07 MoreLuckThanSkill

yuastnav wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 10:01:
If we are talking about competitive and tactical games then it becomes unfeasible to have larger teams.
In Counter-Strike you have 5vs5, like in most other team-based games with such clan structures. Then there are exceptions where the game is balanced for 6vs6, like Natural Selection, but I have never seen anything larger.
There are of course also games like Planetside but this is already a different beast since you don't really have that close group of people.

Really? Did you miss out on Quakeworld TF, TFC, Tribes, BF1942 to BF2, etc. ? Plenty of clans/teams used to function with 10-12 players or more. Gaming has just gotten more and more simplified, not to mention the few people that started getting paid for 5v5 CS ruined it for future games.

This game will be mediocre at best.

News Comments > Multiplayer Shooter Evolve Revealed
1. Re: Multiplayer Shooter Evolve Revealed Jan 7, 2014, 13:55 MoreLuckThanSkill

Nobody so far? I'll do the easy one: Left for Dead... in Space!

News Comments > Deadbreed Revealed
4. Re: Deadbreed Revealed Jan 6, 2014, 15:12 MoreLuckThanSkill

Fantaz wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:57:
another new week, another new MOBA game announced. *yawn*...

Exactly... surely we have reached and easily surpassed the saturation point for MOBA games? How do developers keep assuming that they can do something different enough, yet obviously similar enough to the generic MOBA games to make money?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 5, 2014, 20:03 MoreLuckThanSkill

Men of War (1) is pretty primitive on the Quality of Life features at this point, I really recommend people start with MoW:Assault Squad if they have a choice, there is slightly more of a recognizable Cap Flags RTS style there, and the controls/options are a lot better.

For any of the MoW games though, it's best to slowly advance in general, supporting your infantry cappers(if it's a cap point map) with HMG/LMG/Artilery pieces, keeping your tanks off the front lines vs other tanks and artillery. Tanks are great at mauling infantry, or shooting other tanks in the side/back, or blowing up jeeps and apcs. Tanks head to head is just a waste; you can win but you will waste ammo and armor always, unless you are using a Tiger or something vs a scout tank.

If it is NOT a cap point map, ambushes on AI are usually your best bet. Expendable infantry running up, tagging non-sniper enemies and sprinting(double click) back into HMG/Artillery/Tank meat grinders.

In every case it also helps to manually aim a tank or artillery piece to headshoot/turret shoot/track shoot your targets. Non anti-tank infantry aren't worth manually aiming unless you have a very low number of units.

Gathering ammo is a hassle, but you CAN gather ammo for a whole platoon at once; select them all, click on an ammo source(ammo boxes, enemy corpses, ammo trucks) and double click rifle rounds/smg rounds etc. The game does a fairly smart job of dividing up ammo to those who can use it, based on their equipped weapon. Grenades and anti-tank grenades will get divided fairly equally also. Men of War 1 suffers the most from this, as you are playing the under-equipped Russians most of the time, who on average start with about 7-10 rifle rounds or even nothing.

There is a steep learning curve, but it's definitely one of the more rewarding RTS games, imo. Skilled aiming, good situational awareness, and of course solid tactics are rewarded. There is still enough leeway for skilled micro to overcome a tactical slip as well.

The most fun mechanic(s) in the MoW series is the cannibalizing of destroyed vehicles/repairing and stealing enemy vehicles with your infantry, in my opinion. Ripping the 50cals off destroyed vehicles and making groups of HMG equipped soldiers, stealing enemy Tigers or Panzers with your US Paratroopers, etc etc. the game has so much going for it... if you can get by the micro.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 5, 2014, 17:25 MoreLuckThanSkill

I gave in and bought Company of Heroes 2 at the 66% off sale... it's mediocre at best. Nice sound and graphics, boring gameplay.

Men of War series blows it out of the water; at least for me there's no going back to the CoH format at this point.

Hopefully Men of War: Assault Squad 2 is just ridiculously good.

Also, kind of surprised to see Rust selling so well, it seems like an aggravating grind of a game to me.

News Comments > Steam, Origin DDoSed?
9. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 11:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

Shit like this just reinforces the notion that WAY too many computers are being run with little to no security. You would think that most of these DDoS bots would be personal computers, but I remember some study recently saying the majority were corporate workstations or something?

Either way, useless spammers with thousands or millions of slaved boxes that they shouldn't have in the first place.

What little faith I have in humanity is getting eroded on a daily basis. Ugh.

News Comments > BF4 Connectivity Issues; Double XP Postponed
15. Re: BF4 Connectivity Issues; Double XP Postponed Dec 31, 2013, 13:55 MoreLuckThanSkill

Wow, a lot of BF4 hate in this thread.

I'm surprised some of you guys are still having a bad experience; it's been stable for me for the past couple of patches. It's still the best vehicle based FPS out there, in terms of fun. Realism, of course not. If you bought it, and haven't even tried it since the first week or whatever, it may well be time for you to reattempt. It's very playable now, on all maps.

A couple days ago, I had two of my best shots ever in a tank, took out the Attack jet and then the stealth jet in a row on Golmud Railway. The attack jet pulled the classic slow spam gun run on me, but my smokescreen broke pathing on his laser guided bombs(or made him miss with his JDAMS), as I backed up to dodge those and a little bit of the 30mm cannon spam. When it became clear he was going to fly almost directly over, I turned my turret 180 degrees and rolled forward a bit, then nailed him with a main gun shot as he was pulling up. Then I see their stealth jet lining up on one of our choppers as I start to swing the turret back around, nail him almost in the middle of his jet as he is banking away... Sabot Tank rounds >> Jets. Congratulations and hackusations ensued.

Sabot rounds seem to one hit kill, or about 95% kill attack choppers also. Somehow Scout and transport helicopters can take a main gun tank shot and just fly off though. Follow up with HMG, but they might still escape.

Some bugs still remain, of course, but nothing major, in my opinion. Kill trading scenario still occurs for infantry, but any game with bullet travel time will OCCASIONALLY have that.

ps. Let the record show, Golmud Railway might be the best map ever in the BF series.

News Comments > Age of Decadence Updated Demo
7. Re: Age of Decadence Updated Demo Dec 22, 2013, 14:45 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm... this demo is boring as hell. I'll check back on the game in a year or two.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 14:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

Wallshadows wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 13:51:
I was pretty close to picking up Nether but decided to get Far Cry 3 instead. The only other thing I picked up during this sale was the Warframe initiate pack for $10.

Far Cry 3, even with the hassle of Uplay, is a really good game. Not quite great, but easily playable. I have cleared all the radio towers and enemy bases, as well as all the side quests, going to finish up the main quest in the next couple of days. Easily worth the 7.49 or whatever I paid for it during the thanksgiving sale.

Nether... I would avoid. Watch that Worth Buying youtube review for reasons why, but it looks like something I wouldn't buy, personally.

*EDIT* Whoops Krovven beat me to it.

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 13:18 MoreLuckThanSkill

• peteham wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 12:14:
    Haven't bought a single game yet this sale. Figured I'd pick up Deponia yesterday, but nope, "you already own this game".. Alrighty, then! I think I may have finally done it: I've bought everything.
    If I work hard and live to be a hundred, I may get around to playing about 1 in 4.

The only solution is to quit your job, and move your cardboard box near a wifi spot and outlet. Good luck finishing your games!

I think everybody is guilty of buying too many steam sale games at this point. I have stuff in my steam library I know I will never get around to playing, let alone finishing.

News Comments > Age of Decadence Updated Demo
    2. Re: Age of Decadence Updated Demo Dec 21, 2013, 14:29 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, I think I will try this demo. I've been rolling through the classic isometric RPGs lately, whetting my appetite for Pillars of Eternity. By the time I'm done with PoE (Not to be confused with PoE! ) this will probably be finished.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Patched
    17. Re: Battlefield 4 Patched Dec 20, 2013, 20:15 MoreLuckThanSkill

Slowly, ever so slowly, BF4 is getting patched into a decent playing experience.

To be fair I've had stable gameplay for a few weeks now, not counting the minor blip of UCAV spam, and the memory-leak or whatever other crash there is that eventually forces BF4 to shut down or disconnect after a few maps. Hopefully that is one of the top three crash bugs they ironed out.

I still stand by my initial impression of BF4 tanks though, the clip system just penalizes good tankers WAY too much. You cannot take on 2-3 tanks at a time, simply because you will run out of ammo and be forced to drive around evading until your tank's clip reloads. 2v1 or 3v1 battles happen all the time on Golmud Railway, either with multiple tanks or a tank/apc/c4 jeep mix, and I find 5 shots to be far too few.

Jeeps/Helicopters/Jets need to die from ONE main gun tank hit also, not just take a "critical" and briefly lose control. Coaxial HMG is usually able to finish them off in time, but usually a good jet pilot will hit extinguishers and fly off.

Unfortunately I think it'll take an extremely long time for DICE to come to their senses and bring back the 1 shot kill from tank main gun on helos/jets that there was in BF3.

News Comments > On Sale
    14. Re: On Sale Dec 20, 2013, 20:01 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, 4.99 for Dragon Age 2? Might be time to finally give in and buy it.

If the price gets low enough, I buy on Impulse!

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Lawsuit
    67. Re: Battlefield 4 Lawsuit Dec 18, 2013, 18:32 MoreLuckThanSkill

This kind of bullshit indicates several things to me:

1) Humanity would be far better off without the stock market;

2) People are greedy as fuck, and will ruin everything eventually.

As shitty a company as EA is, there are corporations out there that commit ACTUAL crimes, up to and including murder, that need to be focused on far more than a buggy video game release. BP or Shell, anyone? Haliburton? Xe? etc. etc.

Anyway, the world being what this is, I'm sure millions of dollars will go into the pockets of various lawyers with nothing else getting accomplished when this particular embarrassment to the human race ends.

1150 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 7.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo