Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 2114 (Senior)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > XCOM2 E3 Trailer
6. Re: XCOM2 E3 Trailer Jun 25, 2015, 18:51 MoreLuckThanSkill

jdreyer wrote on Jun 25, 2015, 18:24:

Games like Syndicate, XCom, and Mechwarrior all had it. What other modern games allow this?

I don't know if you'd consider them "modern" anymore, but the Silent Storm series was turn based, 6 person party with classes and a wide assortment of weapons... great games.

Soldiers of Anarchy, another mostly unknown classic, real time like Syndicate and utterly insane in the number of vehicles and weapons available. Pretty short campaign with terrible voice acting, but what can you do? Not to be confused with any DayZ mods, I'm talking about the 2002 small squad RTS.

SoA dropped off the face of the planet, and it's not on gog, but Silent Storm is.

It's definitely not a well selling genre though, until the recent X-Com remake.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Expansion Details; Patch Plans
15. Re: Pillars of Eternity Expansion Details; Patch Plans Jun 25, 2015, 16:02 MoreLuckThanSkill

Looks like a lot of good changes, but yes, Pillars of Eternity (at least currently) is not nearly as good as BG2 was, although I find it superior to unmodified IWD1 or 2 overall.

The rest mechanic... needs to be modded out. It adds nothing to the enjoyment of the game. I'm waiting for this patch and the expansion to come out before I play through again though. I think at least one mod already out there removes this though? I haven't checked in awhile.

Health/Endurance mechanic, is ok, I guess. I got used to it but I think I prefer old style hp with in combat heals.

The game would probably also be improved by having Per-Rest Spells change to Per Encounter spells at a much faster rate, but they probably set up this system to be able to support PoEt2, so I can understand the current cut off points.

I actually liked the combat mechanics, even a few patches back vanilla version, but with the new stealth changes the game will be dramatically improved.

I already paid for the "first" expansion, and yeah, I agree, it'll be lame if that only counts for this Part 1 of X expansion chunks.

News Comments > Diablo III Kanai's Cube Revealed
17. Re: Diablo III Kanai's Cube Revealed Jun 24, 2015, 21:14 MoreLuckThanSkill

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 18:56:
Act 3 was just released, and they're looking at Act 4 coming with the full release before the end of the year... It's taken longer than they anticipated, sure, but the scope of the game has also about tripled compared to what they pitched in the Kickstarter. Five years isn't bad at all when the first half of that was only a handful of ex-Titan Quest devs working in their spare time, dwindling down to the one main guy before finally getting the funds they needed to make it happen. It's already a very good game, and has been since it was made available through Early Access.

I know, Grim Dawn is one of my few Kickstarters, and I've played the alpha/beta(?) a bit every now and then to see where it's at. I'm holding off now until the 'release,' and of course it's not fair to compare Grim Dawn to Diablo 3 or even PoE because of their staffing.

News Comments > Diablo III Kanai's Cube Revealed
15. Re: Diablo III Kanai's Cube Revealed Jun 24, 2015, 18:06 MoreLuckThanSkill

No game is going to last forever; I've definitely got my money's worth from D3, and I think I've passed the point where I've played more D3 than vanilla D2. Definitely far more than Diablo 1.

I'll probably play some more D3 for awhile after 2.3.0 hits, then stop and go back to clearing out the gog/steam backlog when I get bored. Six hours of played time(to finish) Wolfenstein the old Blood, eh Steam? You got me this time!

PoE for whatever reason didn't even last as long for me, although I did level up like 10 characters in that game.(all shoddily built, no doubt, but fun builds to me.) PoE's problem is the actual fight mechanics just aren't as good as Diablo 3's.

Hopefully Grim Dawn ends up being great when it's finally finished in 2020 or so.

News Comments > Tale of Tales Closing
68. Re: Tale of Tales Closing Jun 22, 2015, 15:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

ASeven wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 15:13:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X546RqY1OBw

Ugh, even ignoring the video creator's bias, that paints a pretty terrible picture of Sunset/Tale of Tales. Nice Tweets at the end also.

News Comments > Tale of Tales Closing
60. Re: Tale of Tales Closing Jun 22, 2015, 09:53 MoreLuckThanSkill

Xero wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 08:51:
Don't know much about this game as I never heard of it, but a quick shot over to the Steam page and at the reviews, most are negative, lol.

Can't imagine where they went wrong either!

Basically this. I was tempted to buy it just to see what the hell the fuss was about, but there are plenty of negative Steam reviews from actual owners of the game, pointing out the basic mechanics are terrible.

Doesn't sound like a game for gamers from those player reviews; whatever that game would actually be, one would assume it would be fun to play.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Ultimate Edition
7. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Ultimate Edition Jun 20, 2015, 18:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

jdreyer wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 18:03:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 12:50:
... This is nice and all, but one would have to assume everybody who was at all interested in SoaSE has already bought at least one version of it.

I own original Sins but nothing else. I've been waiting for this.

Congratulations on being the one person they were marketing to.

Seriously, how have you not bought Rebellion somewhere by now during any one of a dozen sales?

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Gameplay Video
6. Re: Just Cause 3 Gameplay Video Jun 20, 2015, 15:23 MoreLuckThanSkill

The Just Cause games always look so ridiculously fun in Youtube videos, but I just couldn't get into JC2 that much. You're practically a super hero vs a bunch of renta-cops who have zero chance against you.

JC3 seems to have completely removed the "practically" from that last sentence.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Ultimate Edition
1. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Ultimate Edition Jun 20, 2015, 12:50 MoreLuckThanSkill

... This is nice and all, but one would have to assume everybody who was at all interested in SoaSE has already bought at least one version of it.

Where is SoaSE2, Ironclad? I can't speak for all of your fanbase, but I at least would like SoaSE2 a lot more than whatever MOBA nonsense you're probably working on right now.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jun 19, 2015, 14:40 MoreLuckThanSkill

That Dishonored clip is pretty skillful, but of course he's murdering hapless guards. Clear violation of the no-kill policy, whoever is in that video!

No Kill games:
Dishonored(soon to be series), Deus Ex series, Alpha Protocol

Surely everybody plays by these rules?

News Comments > Vampyr Announcement
4. Re: Vampyr Announcement Jun 19, 2015, 13:54 MoreLuckThanSkill

Xoxotl wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 05:47:
Looks like it'll suck.

Eh? Eh? Anybody?

*ba dummm tisshh!*

*Golf clap*

More on topic, you guys are overly pessimistic for a game that's not even showing any actual gameplay yet. I bought Dontnod's earlier game, Remember Me during this Steam sale, it'll hopefully give a glimpse of where they are at, writing/design wise.

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
3. Re: Overwatch Trailer Jun 18, 2015, 21:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

A one shot kill, hit scan sniper, with built in wallhack/heat vision? Lol.

I know this is an early build, but anybody with good aim is going to dominate with this class.

Of course all the good QWTF snipers are pretty much retired and gone so maybe it won't matter too much.

News Comments > Mother Russia Bleeds Announced
1. Re: Mother Russia Bleeds Announced Jun 16, 2015, 17:42 MoreLuckThanSkill

This... could be awesome. Streets of Rage(mostly 2, but 1 and 3 also) was one of my favorite games on the Sega Genesis, and this is clearly a pretty strong homage for the SoR series.

Also, I have some good faith in Devolver after their Hotline Miami games.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2015, 14:58 MoreLuckThanSkill

Verno wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 09:37:
It was interesting to watch my GFs reaction to a certain character coming into harm who she previously thought had plot armor. I've told her several times no one has plot armor in this series but oh well. It's also cool to see it diverging more and more from the books in some aspects, I guess as much out of necessity as anything else. Some people seemed disappointed with it online but I thought it was a great finale.

Happy Bday to Mrs Blue.

My guess for next season: John Snow is brought back from the dead via the red Priestess, who uses the same Red Priest/Priestess ability used to bring back the guy the Mountain kills repeatedly in the books and briefly in the show,(also killed by the Hound).

I'm guessing: Undead reunion: The Hound, Lady Stark, John Snow, all brought back via various Red Priests or Priestesses. Fire undead vs Ice undead, plus dragons, in the next season! Also random undead Mountain brought back via Maester.

News Comments > XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage
12. Re: XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage Jun 16, 2015, 12:41 MoreLuckThanSkill

Slashman wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 11:33:

People need to realize that difficulty levels exist for a reason. I finished EW on classic/ironman. No one forces you to play on higher levels than you need to.

Also, they confirmed in the interview that the enemies don't get first shot when they come as reinforcements.

I played through on all the difficulties, at least for the vanilla game. Haven't done the expansion more than once yet. I got distracted by mods. That snake attack appears to be tied to the creature itself(assuming regardless of difficulty?), although there is the new mechanic of carrying home the wounded, so I guess we'll see how that plays out.

Remember, unavoidable deaths lead to save scumming! Any map where snakes can appear will probably make me leave most of my guys in Overwatch and move pretty slowly.

Also I admit to skipping over the non-actual gameplay bits of that video.

News Comments > Battlezone Return Plans
2. Re: Battlezone Return Plans Jun 16, 2015, 12:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

PHJF wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 12:18:
Boo, was expecting a followup to 1998 Battlezone

Yeah, what the hell is this rehash of an ancient game?

Battlezone 1 and 2, the RTS/FPS hybrids, were so great! Unfortunately I can only assume they are still in some sort of abandoned legal gordian knot, never again to see the light of day. They aren't even on gog.com yet, although there was a 'free' Battlezone 2 project last time I checked.

News Comments > XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage
7. Re: XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage Jun 16, 2015, 11:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

It looks really good, but it also looks like there will be some really cheap/cheesy deaths. Ranged tongue attack to insta-kill from the snake alien? Even more random enemy reinforcements than the first game, and they get first shot?

I'll still get it of course, just saying, there will be some raging.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Survival Trailer
9. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Survival Trailer Jun 16, 2015, 11:05 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, this trailer is definitely less impressive than the ealier one.

Surely that's just an alpha/beta stage choice, being able to destroy even small Walkers with a pistol? Seems like a bad choice for the game long term.

Also, this is one of the coop vs bots modes, so it explains why the 2 rebels were owning so easily. Still, grab some cover, maybe.

News Comments > The Division in March
7. Re: The Division in March Jun 16, 2015, 02:03 MoreLuckThanSkill

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 23:02:
This is the new gameplay from today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S0_3Ml9heY

You have to give them credit for depicting exactly what will happen in a game like this: DayZ-style cutthroat greed and betrayal. I think it says something about the online gaming community these days, when corporate marketing is made to use that aspect of gameplay to sell a game.

Wow, if that's the demographic they are going for, fuck that game. Guess I'll pass on this.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Trailer
9. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Jun 15, 2015, 21:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

Sigh, this looks great. Danger Dog is right though, they are going to monetize/exploit the shit out of this. I'm afraid to see how bad the DLC/Battlepack/Premium/Whatever situation actually gets, I'm guessing approaching $200 this time around.

Still, it does look stupidly fun, sounds great too.

2114 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo