Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pure Luck

Real Name Pure Luck   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MoreLuckThanSkill
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description More Luck Than Skill.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2009, 18:40
Total Comments 2114 (Senior)
User ID 54863

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
14. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 27, 2015, 22:45 MoreLuckThanSkill

Whoops, missed out on the $25 Kickstarter, got in at $30. Divinity Original Sin was great, I have high hopes for D:OS 2 and the Enhanced Edition which is coming out... soon?

I've put in some serious hours(for me) on D3 Patch 2.3, now it's time to start the PoEt replay + expansion. Dual Wield Barb, I suspect.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Aug 27, 2015, 22:41 MoreLuckThanSkill

TangledThorns wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 22:19:
Its August and I think the official spoilers are too much already.

Exactly... I am trying my hardest to avoid ANY spoilers, but they are simply all over the place. I may have to go full Luddite to make it to December without bumping into some film-ruining pics or clips.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
13. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 27, 2015, 22:20 MoreLuckThanSkill

Axis wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 18:32:
An Easy Fix For Windows 10 Privacymageddon.

Windows 7.

Somewhat true, but be warned, both Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 got updates the past couple of years that do much of the same Telemetry reporting that Windows 10 does.

Usage Trackers:

KB 2952664
KB 3022345

KB 3021917 (update for Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program [microsoft.com]
KB 3068708 (update for CEIP and telemetry) [microsoft.com]
KB 3080149 (update for CEIP and telemetry) [microsoft.com]
KB 3075249 (telemetry) [microsoft.com]
KB 2990214 (Windows 10 upgrade)

List taken from a couple different forum threads, Slashdot and other places.

Also if you already installed all these(and for some reason cannot uninstall), you can disable the tasks in Task Scheduler:

Application Experience
Autochk
Customer Experience Improvement Program

and probably some others as well.

I'm leaning towards just making a totally separate gaming machine, and a linux machine for non-gaming/everything else.

I have enough comps sitting around at this point.

News Comments > "Do or Die" for Frozenbyte
9. Re: Aug 27, 2015, 16:27 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ugh, yet another talented development team that's probably going to go bankrupt due to (probable) mismanagement and 1 set of bad reviews for 1 game.

I'll probably buy Trine 3, because Trine 1 and 2 were gorgeous and fun, true works of art. However, now I'm even less inclined to buy Trine 3 soon, due to them admitting the game isn't even complete yet.

News Comments > Dying Light Demo
4. Re: Dying Light Demo Aug 26, 2015, 13:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

Overall Dying Light >> Dead Island, but I do miss being able to craft guns ala Dead Island's Electric/Fire Pistols, etc.

Unless my game is bugged, I find rare and legendary guns every so often, but they are all the same stats (not counting 2 Unique pistols) as the rest of the blue guns.

Missed opportunity, Techland!

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
6. Re: Diablo III Patched Aug 25, 2015, 20:54 MoreLuckThanSkill

Some very nice things in this patch, but a few bugs that apparently made it through the entire PTR, were reported multiple times, and yet still weren't fixed. Most annoying one so far in my first few hours, +Pet Damage not being applied to Corpse Spiders and other 'beast' spells. Also, the Mathael Bounty is bugged, you can be spawned into one of his Ice Cloud things during his second phase, and you take damage while your character is out of your control, leading to instant death depending on Torment level.

I do love the Bandit Shrine or whatever it's called, that spawns Goblins, the goblin revamp(Collectors drop Forgotten Souls, etc.), Helltooth seems like a fun set so far, and obviously the Kanai cube is going to be a pretty fun toy.

So far I'm not loving being forced to completely farm Act bounties for Kanai cube materials, but it's acceptable so far.

Quality of life wise, it seems like they could have allowed materials to be pulled from Storage for the Kanai cube, like every other NPC craftsman, but maybe that'll get fixed eventually.

I'm feeling an almost overwhelming urge to Farm bounties continuously until I have every item in the Kanai Cube, so that's probably an indication of good design or at least good Skinner Box design, by Blizzard.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Night Operations Next Month
13. Re: Battlefield 4 Night Operations Next Month Aug 25, 2015, 12:17 MoreLuckThanSkill

Kxmode wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 11:54:
It might be a jackass move but you have to admit it's pretty cool, not to mention very difficult to pull off.

It's very cool, but the success rate for even great players is probably 1 in 20. Unskilled players never accomplish it and just waste jets, hence all the unmanned jets flying around. Of course it has been a month or so since I've played, so maybe that's calmed down a bit.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2015, 11:44 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 11:34:
Yes, that's precisely what society needs, psychopaths with flamethrowers. What could possibly go wrong?

Flamethrower

On the plus side, there's already an emoji for it.

Also I assume most drunken idiots with flamethrowers will end up killing themselves and their friends long before they get a chance to do something dangerous in public.

*EDIT* Although I bet that guy riding into the Kangaroo... posse? Armada? Mob? probably wanted one.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 2015, 11:50.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Night Operations Next Month
10. Re: Battlefield 4 Night Operations Next Month Aug 25, 2015, 11:41 MoreLuckThanSkill

I hate to say it, but this is actually becoming a thing now, in BF4, because of youtube, twitch, etc.

People were doing it occasionally even back in BF1942, but now every jackass is trying it, explaining all the unmanned planes flying off into the wild blue yonder on their own on most servers.

Not sure what you'd call it though, Plane Eject Rocket Kill Jump back in your own Plane-ing?

Variations: Use C4, Sniper rifle to kill enemy pilot, then land in their plane, etc.

Aside from that, I'm somewhat interested in the BF4 night maps, I'll probably start BF4-ing again after I finish Dying Light.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released
8. Re: Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released Aug 25, 2015, 11:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

Also important to note: if you pre-ordered the expansion through either Kickstarter or later on through the backer portal, it seems you get parts 1 and 2 of the White March.

At least that's what my PoEt account is showing, just redeemed the key on Gog.com, although of course the second part of the expansion isn't done yet.

D3 patch 2.3 and PoEt 2.0 + expansion today, goodbye productivity.

Also some fairly big patches to Darkest Dungeon the past week or so, if I really want to depress myself and question my video game luck.

News Comments > SOMA Preorders
2. Re: SOMA Preorders Aug 24, 2015, 21:12 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ah, Frictional Games...your games as a concept always seem so interesting, yet when I start playing I usually get bored or annoyed at some game mechanic before I finish. Accursed human brain!

I'll probably end up buying this one too, during some sale.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Tanker Captain Aug 23, 2015, 13:27 MoreLuckThanSkill

That video makes the tanker piloting seem insane, even when you take into account how sped up it must be. That's some serious pilotage skill as well as communication with scattered observers... no way can the pilot/captain see all the obstacles from the command deck.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Aug 23, 2015, 13:25 MoreLuckThanSkill

Kajetan wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 11:22:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 10:46:
Steam likes being the biggest kid on the block by a large margin.
Which it is. Regarding those Steam numbers ... can you imagine how small the customer base of Origin or Uplay really is? I wonder if Origin and Uplay are kept alive because the board simply wants to be present on the online distribution market. And not because they make a decent profit.

I have no doubt Uplay and Origin are both smaller... now. Still, both services have some AAA titles that have sold and will sell in the future. How many millions of copies of Star Wars Battlefront are going to get activated on Origin this year, 2 million? 10 million? I don't think Origin is that much smaller than Steam. I'd really like to see some in depth information on all the online services. I'm tempted to write Uplay off as just annoying DRM but Ubisoft has a couple high selling franchises that force Uplay on their customers, so their numbers might be fairly high also.

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Aug 23, 2015, 10:46 MoreLuckThanSkill

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 10:23:
No, but I would argue that Steam should reveal public information of things sold on it's platform, like sale stats. Currently steam does everything it can to hide this. We don't even know how the "top" listings are calculated. And I am not part of the group that thinks these informations should be secret. If you release a game on steam, the number of sales and number of refunds should be listed public. Mainly because I don't see why not. It's not a market problem when others see how many sales you have.

I agree, that would be some very interesting information to have access to, but I don't see any legal reason in the US or UK, for them to make it public. They will probably never voluntarily release that kind of information for at least a dozen reasons, but I'm sure primarily because it might give Uplay, Gamergate, Origin or whatever other online seller an advantage. Steam likes being the biggest kid on the block by a large margin.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2015, 18:35 MoreLuckThanSkill

panbient wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 12:29:
Awww man... you need 107 games in your Steam library to be part of the One Percent?

I only have 102. I feel like such a loser now hahaha

Only 107?! Pfft. Try getting three times that number and then we'll talk!

.33%ers unite!

News Comments > XCOM 2 Trailer
8. Re: XCOM 2 Trailer Aug 20, 2015, 12:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, not good. Yet another game I'm going to buy and burn about 60-100 hours on, easy. If I had more of an ego I'd suspect some diabolical plot to burn up all my free time, by these companies.

For awhile there I thought it was safe, nothing but FPS and MMO clones; now they've all gone back to my weaknesses: party based isometric rpgs, squad level turn based tactical games, classic RTS macro games, you name it.

You win again, games industry!

*EDIT* typo.

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2015, 12:54.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: Darkest Dungeon Aug 18, 2015, 20:51 MoreLuckThanSkill

jdreyer wrote on Aug 18, 2015, 20:08:
I really shy away from early access. Is it mostly complete at this point? I've heard great things about it.

I'd say it's definitely playable, although I did NOT Kickstart it or get in real early. I am not sure if they've fallen short of any promised features, but it certainly feels complete to me when I play it. Only reason I stopped was to avoid burning out and getting too depressed over the horrible deaths my party was experiencing before retail even arrived.

Reading their Early Access summary, they do plan to add a lot more content AND more classes, so maybe you might want until late 2015 when the retail is out to actually play it seriously. $13.39 is hardly a major hit to the wallet though, and this team seems to be putting in some seriously good work. If you can spare it I'd say get in now before the price goes up.

I think I got this and Hand of Fate the same day, or close to it, during the last Steam sale. Both are great, but yes, this has a few months to go for full retail content.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Aug 18, 2015, 18:14 MoreLuckThanSkill

Haha, what a harsh truth about Hungry Hungry Hippos.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 18, 2015, 18:10 MoreLuckThanSkill

Haha, Star Citizen articles always crack me up. Finished by the end of 2016; that would be nothing short of miraculous.

From the article:
As an example, one high-level ex-employee shared the story of the Menu Helmet. At one point, according to that employee, Roberts decided he wanted players to have to find and wear an in-game helmet in order to gain access to the menu in Arena Commander. Some developers tried to shoot down the idea, noting that players would grow frustrated if they couldn’t find something as essential as a menu, but Roberts insisted, so a team of developers spent weeks making it work. Then, according to that source, Roberts tried it, only to realize that it wasn’t actually fun. So they scrapped the whole thing and went back to a regular menu system.

That's priceless. Roberts has a rebuttal for that, but still.

*EDIT* elaboration, grammar.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: Darkest Dungeon Aug 18, 2015, 18:08 MoreLuckThanSkill

Darkest Dungeon is awesome, not only from an audio and visual standpoint, but it's got great game mechanics as well. Some aspects like continually farming Level 1 teams on low dungeons do exist, but there will probably always be a way to metagame games like this.

Still, I highly recommend it.

2114 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo