Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Doc4

Real Name Doc4   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Doc4
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None
Description None
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 5, 2009, 23:40
Total Comments 26 (Suspect)
User ID 54743

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned
12. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 01:01 Doc4

ColoradoHoudini wrote on May 14, 2011, 00:44:
Totally not buying this game.. nothing I've read about it is good.. shame too.

Then read this: It's good.

I've been having an absolute blast with this game. The weapons feel and sound right. I really like the art direction of the futuristic maps (though the container maps are not my cup of tea). The team play is spot on for me, and I've seen plenty of support from fellow players out there. No technical issues except for sound cutting out on the Hangar 18 map.

I've been knee deep in this game for 30 hours logged now and enjoy the hell out of it, more so than I expected.

Yesterday I had what I believe to be a developer with a special tag drop by, ask what we thought of the game, and fight with us for a bit too.

Tom / Doc4

- Some of the maps confused the hell out of me the first few times though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated]
18. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners Apr 5, 2011, 23:21 Doc4

Teddy wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 22:25:
Or you could just, you know, say hey, they're giving away a fairly recent game for free to people who purchased DA2. If it was just about getting sales, it would only be for new purchases rather than being retroactive. Something they certainly didn't have to do.

So yeah, thank you Bioware and EA for the free game. I'm one of the few that have yet to try Mass Effect (1 or 2).

+1

Thank you, Teddy. I always like seeing the rare, positive post online.

Tom / Doc4

News Comments > Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV
6. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 13:33 Doc4

I, for one, welcome our new Steam overlords.  

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum on Steam
10. Re: Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum on Steam Dec 27, 2010, 23:44 Doc4

Steam installs it just fine under the "Tools" section. Carry on.

The Steam installation is leaving out the Toolset.exe for several of us, by the by. Clearly an oversight and something that will hopefully be fixed. For those of you eager to try out the toolset, you'll have to wait a bit if you're picking this up on Steam.

Tom / Doc4

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 2010, 10:49.

News Comments > EA on Mirror's Edge
23. Re: EA on Mirror's Edge Nov 30, 2010, 14:28 Doc4

The setting and feel of Mirror's Edge reached out to me on a positive emotional level that no other game has done before or since.

The spartan cleanliness and the soundtrack struck a chord with me. Man, each time Introduction.mp3 kicks in on iTunes I get all giddy and wistful.

News Comments > Evochron Mercenary Next Week?
19. Re: Evochron Mercenary Next Week? Sep 11, 2010, 21:08 Doc4

How does the exploration aspect of this game work? Exploration appeals to me most, but I'm not sure what I would be finding.

It sounds like a huge universe, but what would I be finding? Interesting locations specifically hidden in the map? Or collecting 10 resources dropped on a planet somewhere?

The game touts combat, trade, and exploration, so what specifically is the exploration game play like?

Thanks,

Tom / Doc4

News Comments > Irrational Announcement Next Week
1. Re: Irrational Announcement Next Week Aug 2, 2010, 22:49 Doc4

Come on Irrational.

Tell us you put all the legal pieces of the puzzle back together. Tell us you've been putting your heart into its revival. Tell us it's not your take on the original but the real deal.

Come August 12th, that trailer needs to end with a female mechanized voice saying "Look at you, hacker" before fading to black.

//fingers crossed
//fingers crossed!!
//unlikely
//fingers crossed!

News Comments > The Infected Revealed
4. Re: The Infected Revealed Jul 5, 2010, 12:37 Doc4

Agreed. Anyone of you out here even slightly interested in BSG or board games should grab the BSG board game. Crazy amounts of fun with the right people.  

News Comments > Global Agenda Patched
1. Re: Global Agenda Patched Jun 24, 2010, 22:14 Doc4

This is not an "espionage-themed MMOG". While Global Agenda has agencies, you might be mistaking this for the game Agency by chance.  

News Comments > Jurassic Park Game?
1. Re: Jurassic Park Game? Jun 8, 2010, 21:42 Doc4

Oh man, I hope this is a continuation of the Trespasser game from '98. Its polished gameplay still holds up to this day. And such a wonderful use of Sir Richard Attenborough's talent.

Whew! That took a while to type. Now to move my mouse down to the bottom of this page and click on "Post Comment". Let me just swing my horrific looking right arm over here in the vicinity of my mouse. If I'm lucky, I'll smack into it after just a few more tries. Almost got it. Hit a key to grab the mouse. Missed. Hitting the key again. Oops, forgot to rotate my wrist 270 degrees to the left. Got it! Now carefully move it across the mouse pad and - damn! Keyboard knocked it out of my hand. I just need to simply swing this twisted-in-ways-God-never-intended appendage around again. Almost got it...

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization May 28, 2010, 18:49 Doc4

Is there anyone here who actually owns a netbook and can share there experiences? I am going to pick one up for work in the next few weeks and am curious how others make use of them. Extremely portability is the key for me here, so laptops are not an option.

Thanks,

Tom / Doc4

News Comments > Ubisoft's Nature RTS Game
1. Re: Ubisoft's Nature RTS Game May 20, 2010, 22:47 Doc4

...uses very advanced systems to provide a new experience based on manipulation of a realistic simulation.

Just rolls right off the tongue there doesn't it.

News Comments > Global Agenda Free Trial on Steam
11. Re: Global Agenda Free Trial on Steam Apr 15, 2010, 09:45 Doc4

Jerykk wrote on Apr 15, 2010, 04:34:
Jetpacks != Tribes. Unless you can soar through the sky and glide over mountains, it doesn't feel like Tribes.

Actually it does feel like Tribes.

News Comments > Global Agenda Free Trial on Steam
7. Re: Global Agenda Free Trial on Steam Apr 15, 2010, 02:10 Doc4

It has a Tribes feel to it with the ability to jet around and a little TF2 as well. All the classes are useful though there rarely seems to be enough Assault around.

Levels make some difference but it's not as big a deal as some will have you believe. High level characters have more options and a +7% bonus here and a +10% bonus there. I'm not saying I want my level 17 character going up against a level 40 in a 15 minute dueling deathmatch, but when you're slogging it out in an intense firefight with 12 people on your side versus 12 on theirs, level differences are not a major factor. Levels have an effect, yes, but skills and tactics are way up there too.

It is NOT an MMO, and should never have been marketed that way. A horrible decision on the designers part. This is a TF2 style game.

If you liked tribes or want a change from TF2, then give it a shot. Hit M in the main lobby to bring up the PVP mercenary missions. That's what you want.

Oh, and to balance out my little review further, since picking up Battlefield 2 a few weeks ago, I've never even thought about playing Global Agenda and don't plan to any time soon.

Tom / Doc4

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2010, 02:32.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Extended
4. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Extended Apr 11, 2010, 17:15 Doc4

Is this a bit of a PR move to counter the expensive map pack downloads versus Battlefield's free maps?

PR Release Aug, 2010 "Our product reaches out to a broad demographic and delivers unparalleled game play. We believe customers deserve both high-end additional content at a competitive fee as well as free content like the multiplayer weekend offered in April."

News Comments > FM Live Rebooted, Not "Hugely Profitable"
4. Re: FM Live Rebooted, Not "Hugely Profitable" Mar 25, 2010, 13:10 Doc4

I played it in beta and for the first 3 or 4 months went it went live almost every day. I worked with my division and ran several massive tournaments named "The Marathon" or something like that.

As an FM addict, it was great being able to play against other real players and watching them suffer or gloat during the game.

One of the problems was that every division, without exception, shied away from the English league structure of progressing up the ranks from Conference to Second League to Premier, etc. This killed the sense of progression each new season. Everything and everyone would reset and you had no idea where you fit and what kind of caliber teams you were dealing with. You had no sense of growth. Two divisions had a Premier league but then like 10 "Champion" leagues of the exact same rank underneath. They were concerned about not drawing in new players who wouldn't want to start at the bottom.

The biggest issue with FM Live was when I finally took a break. Once the computer played a few matches for me, I stopped dropping by as often as I didn't feel in control of the team or the results any more. After a gap of a week and a half, there wasn't much incentive to go back as it just wasn't my team. And if you're gone long enough, they don't want you hoarding named players so they release them to the free market. I don't see a flood of returning players logging in to see their former teams gutted and having to start from scratch.

It was a fun idea, but I just don't think it works. Another year or two, maybe it can get attached to some bundle PASS service, but it seems unlikely.

Well, we still have the great offline version each year.

Tom / Doc4

News Comments > System Shock Modification
7. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 4, 2010, 22:26 Doc4

Ken Levine posted years back that it wasn't just EA who had the rights, but so many different entities had a piece. Some odd and sloppy legal work back in the day left things a mess.

Rumors are that Irrational's next secret project might be SS3. Just rumors, but pretty exciting if true. Perhaps with all the mergers, all the different companies came under one roof who had the rights. Or some how they just pulled it all together. Or Irrational's big secret next project is some lame Freedom Force sequel.

And for those of you looking for SS2 mods, they are out there as well. Yours truly created the first custom mission ever for the game with complete audio logs, etc, called Arboretum. And there are even bigger and better missions out there as well as the high-res texture mod and the nicer AI models mod. Now if only they could get it to work smoothly with XP, Vista, and 7.

Long live System Shock!

Tom / Doc4
Nerdy BoardGaming Site: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Portland-OR/Portland-Gamers/203774624357
http://twitter.com/Gliber

//3 minutes behind Creston!

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2010, 22:28.

News Comments > Borderlands Patch
2. Re: Borderlands Patch Feb 2, 2010, 17:54 Doc4

I, on the other hand, find it to be a fun game with an above-average port. No bare minimums or sadness here. If mindless gunning wrapped around a Diablo loot system is what you're after, this game has it in spades.

With that said, having to forward ports prior to today's patch was just silly. That should never have been required for the majority of users in this modern era of online gaming.

My two friends and I have been playing for a while now and have found the game to be a nice surprise.

Tom / Doc4

News Comments > The Saboteur Trailers & Petition
7. Re: The Saboteur Trailers & Petition Dec 17, 2009, 02:01 Doc4

I'm still really tempted to pick this up for the PS3; it sounded like Jerykk and a few others had played it and enjoyed it. Can any of you guys say much more about it?

Jazeel, I found Saboteur to be a "meh". It took the mediocre parts of GTA4 and combined them with the mediocre parts of Assassin's Creed. Not bad, mind you, but it just didn't click with me.

The controls felt odd, particularly the driving which was more akin to Mario Kart than real driving. The setting, colors, and nudity were great choices (and bold ones for the latter two).

All in all, it felt like they tried to do a massive open-world game with not enough budget and really simplified the driving to gel with the console crowd.

I'd grab it in the summer time when it's half price on steam or wait a year and pick it up for $15 bucks. This is a title I expect to drop off the radar quickly.

Tom / Doc4
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Portland-OR/Portland-Gamers/203774624357?v=wall&ref=search
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Gliber

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2009, 02:02.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto IV Patch
1. Re: Grand Theft Auto IV Patch Nov 10, 2009, 16:08 Doc4

Anyone have any feedback on the current status of the getting into the game? When first released, plenty of people complained about multiple social accounts needing to be created and poor performance. Has this been addressed at all, as I'm interested in picking it up. Any kind of multiplayer community still active?

Thanks,

Tom / Doc4

26 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo