Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheVocalMinority

Real Name TheVocalMinority   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheVocalMinority
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 1, 2009, 04:01
Total Comments 118 (Novice)
User ID 54734

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam for Linux Leaves Beta
29. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 15, 2013, 07:15 TheVocalMinority

Wikidd wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 16:36:
Panickd wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:48:
I'm going to need a link to back that up because that sounds like pretty much the polar opposite of what Stallman stands for and pretty much anything he's ever said.

That just goes to show how little you know about Stallman. He's long espoused a three tier form of copyright; he only thinks "tools" should be totally free. He's always been quite happy for entertainment to enjoy much stronger protection, except with much reduced terms.

Here's a speech from almost 11 years ago where he outlines his ideal copyright system: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/copyright-and-globalization.html

Here's his view on Steam for Linux: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html

As you can see, he thinks Steam is a bad thing but he'd rather people used non-free software on a free operating system than non-free software on a non-free OS. That's been his view on people using non-free applications since forever.

At times it feels like RMS is as misrepresented as Marx.

Where does this stuff come from? When there was a discussion about Stallman after the article at the second link above was covered here there was an attempt to paint Stallman as a kooky fringe element in the free software movement. This time we have an attempt to misrepresent Stallmans views (whilst claiming others are misrepresenting them, which is cute). That first link does not support the assertion that Stallman believes it is only the tools that should be free, which is complete nonsense. The speech isn't even about free software, it is about copy-write, and as far as I could tell on a quick scan pretty much in line with the view of the Pirate Parties (i.e. limited copy-write protection from commercial reproduction).

Again, nice try...

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Standalone DayZ DelayZ
22. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 8, 2013, 07:17 TheVocalMinority

Quboid wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 19:41:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 18:56:
Quboid wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 18:17:
I got Arma2:CO in the Christmas sales - what is up with the mouse movement? There seems to be mouse deceleration, the faster I try to turn the slower my character turns.

I know it's not a twitch shooter but if this is for realism then it's seriously misguided. You can still turn unrealistically fast by cranking up the sensitivity.

It's hard to put my finger on it but mouse handling seems deeply flawed. Is this just me?

Have you tried turning "aiming deadzone" all the way down? options->game options>aiming deadzone

turns off the "float" feeling you might be talking about.

I've done that. I've also played with the sensitivity settings in game (which is very hard to set, as turning speed is inversely proportional to mouse speed) and turned my Windows mouse settings down from low acceleration to none.

The only cfg hack I've found is to set (something like) GPU Frames Ahead to 1, which I've done. I think it reduced lag, but it didn't eliminate it and didn't affect the deceleration issue.

I've got the same issue, but it hasn't stopped me from enjoying the game immensely. Would be interested in a config setting to get rid of it though.

One thing that makes life a lot easier is that you have the ability in Arma2 to look around without moving your gun (I've got it set to toggle on my "last page" mouse button) and when you do this the slow down effect disappears. Kind of makes sense really it is just a bit unintuitive for those of us who grew up with Quake and the like.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 3, 2013, 01:29 TheVocalMinority

Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 15:00:

Suddenly we'd have The Beatles in every single commercial on television, because it'd be free to use them.

Commercials currently don't all contain the most popular music out of copy-write so this is obviously nonsense.

Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 15:00:
Even with old movies no one cares about, public domain means that every Walmart in America is full of "10 movies for $1!" collections, but since no one makes any money off those movies no one is bothering to restore them. On one hand at least they're readily available. On the other hand the quality is pure trash.

Nice work turning the argument on it's head. The point is that non-commercial restoration/distribution/whatever is enabled through copy-write reform.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 3, 2013, 01:24 TheVocalMinority

Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 13:32:
So everyone should be able to make a James Bond movie?
Yes.
Or a Toy Story movie?
Yes.
At this point even a Half Life?
Yes.
Half Life 2 is over 3 years old, so we should legally have a Half Life 3 sex game with Alyx and Dog?
The OP said 5 years not 3, and bonus points for the licentious example.

Half Life should be public domain so we should just be able to get it off the internet without paying Valve? EA should be able to sell it on Origin without paying them?
Yes. We could even maybe have a *Gasp* non DRM version being sold how about that?

If something still has value the creator should still be able to get value.
"if value, then right" - bullshit. This is not possible to do in any conceivable way in a free society. So I should be paid every time someone repeats some pithy quip I may have thought up?

I can't think of a single argument for how society would be better if Gordon Freeman was public domain. Or if every amusement park in every part of the country suddenly had Mickey Mouse walking around.

You're obviously not thinking too hard, here are a couple off the top of my head, even given your fairly limited list of outcomes from copy-write reform (note I've taken the liberty of removing the pejorative terms from your text):
-Increased freedom to produce art works inspired by or including Gordon Freeman or Mickey Mouse, thus contributing to the amount of art available for people to enjoy, and the enjoyment derived from the acts of creating them.
-Increased incentive for Valve/Disney to create more original content.
-Best case scenario: as a result of this and other effect of copy-write reform Disney dies a horrible death and thus can no longer contribute to the MPAA and thus future lobbying for SOPA and PIPA type of legislation.

Although if you define a better society one in which your masters interests are not threatened then perhaps you would be correct.

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2013, 01:36.

Assley Putz

News Comments > EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM
59. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 19, 2012, 07:50 TheVocalMinority

ASSUME THE POSITION GAMEBITCHES!

What you thought Diablo Three was the end of it?

Assley Putz

News Comments > Humble THQ Bundle
16. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Nov 30, 2012, 00:19 TheVocalMinority

Yes it seems I was not completely wrong in thinking this and there has been a bit of angst about it.

Thank you for declaring your love for your digital shackles Fletch, although it is somewhat redundant around here.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Humble THQ Bundle
12. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Nov 29, 2012, 23:26 TheVocalMinority

For some reason I thought these things were supposed to be DRM free.

"All the games in this bundle
are ready to rock for Windows
through Steam (required)."

Obviously not...

Assley Putz

News Comments > Croteam on Windows 8 Issues
98. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 18, 2012, 02:46 TheVocalMinority

Verno wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 02:05:
People like Flood...

Those would be shills.
Come on the cut and paste of in the original post was pretty obvious.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Descent Fan Remake
30. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 12, 2012, 06:29 TheVocalMinority

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 22:01:

The real problem is the guys behind descent had crappy game design skills and basically stumbled into success. Descent 3 ended up selling poorly because they had no idea what they were doing. Levels were too big, getting rid of mines was a bad idea because you could no longer pace the action properly.

I picked up Descent 3 from GOG a while back and had a blast with it. Started off using joystick which is what I used way back when in the original but found mouse was a lot better this time. Unfortunately I came up against a boss I couldn't beat, the homunculus, apparently he is made a lot nastier by the higher FPS.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Steam for Linux Beta Client
19. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 7, 2012, 07:22 TheVocalMinority

eunichron wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 15:25:
I would say those people, the Stallman types, are a fairly small, but increasingly vocal, minority in the Linux community. Seeing as how Ubuntu looks like the primary distro for support, and Ubuntu isn't endorsed by the FSF, I'm assuming Valve doesn't give two shits about what they have to say.

Well then what you are saying would be wrong. Stallman wrote the GNU shell and associated tools which are essential to every Linux operating system. "those people" and the free software philosophy are central the Linux community. Linux would not exist without it.

Nice try though.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Valve on Linux Plans
13. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 29, 2012, 23:52 TheVocalMinority

The stupid really seems to have come to visit this topic in a big way!

DDI wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 21:55:
No one wants to deal with that bullshit to get a decent looking OS.

KDE or gnome is usually the default desktop for a distro or can be installed from the package manager. As difficult as installing a steam game AFAIK.

As soon as Linux starts copying Windows and MacOS, you know proven desktop interfaces, instead of this fractured scattered crap, it might be marginally successful.

Linux desktops do tend to be copies, to some extent, of the Windows and Mac desktops. In fact a more valid criticism is the lack of innovation displayed by the more polished desktops. And are you trying to say having a choice is bad???

But in the end, it's only a matter of time before Valve just releases some steam box that runs a closed Linux distro, completing the circle of hypocrisy.

No, the GPL is specifically designed to prevent this. There may be closed software as part of the distro but any GPL software such as the Linux kernel will remain open.

It would be incredibly naive to think this is not about the windows app store. Gabe can see where that is heading as Valve is playing the exact same game. This is the hypocrisy - Steam IS a walled garden! Of course it's not as insidious as it doesn't constitute the entirety of the OS but once within the system it's pretty much the same thing.

And I'm still calling HL3 as a Linux exclusive. The fanboy tears will be glorious.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Firm Says Steam URLs Exploitable
57. Re: It's good advice but not foolproof. Oct 18, 2012, 07:58 TheVocalMinority

nin wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 22:15:
Assley Putz!

Assley Putz!

Assley Putz!

You called? Good to see the valve fanbois resorting yet again to Ad hominem attacks when some heretic dares disparage their idol. Keep up the good work chaps.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Expendables 2
20. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Expendables 2 Aug 21, 2012, 10:39 TheVocalMinority

Prez wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 03:11:
PHJF wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 00:14:
Guess you'll be picking it up sometime around when Chuck ends the universe...

The Big Bang Theory has it all wrong. The universe was created in a massive explosion of matter and energy when Chuck Norris performed a roundhouse kick. When the universe stops expanding and contracts in on itself, Chuck Norris will be at the center, ready to roundhouse it into existence again.

I've been hearing this stuff about Chuck Norris for many years now, and I just don't get where it originated. He got his ass kicked by Bruce Lee for God's sake - why isn't Lee talked about with such awe? Is is a prejudice against dead Chinamen, or a natural favoritism for hairy-chested Nordic Track-users?

WOOOOOOSH!

Assley Putz

News Comments > Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied
44. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 15, 2012, 08:14 TheVocalMinority

HL3 is already done, they are just busy porting it over to Linux so it will be exclusive to their new console.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
23. Upcoming blues news headline Aug 6, 2012, 05:01 TheVocalMinority

DangerDog wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 16:13:
You would need some killer game to be exclusive to Linux before it would spark enough interest to maybe making the switch.

"Valve announced today that Half-Life 3 will be exclusive to their new Linux gaming platform"

I would ROFLMAO until I passed out.

Assley Putz

News Comments > KAOS Studios Postmortem
19. Re: KAOS Studios Postmortem Jul 7, 2012, 23:10 TheVocalMinority

I thought the most interesting thing about the article was that the decision to make North Korea the enemy was imposed an EVP with a "Hollywood" background. Never played the game but from what I heard about it that seemed like a blatent piece of propaganda, particularly given that the American doctrinal system was using that country as the big bad guy at the time.

Oh yes and the great video game crash of 2012 can't come soon enough...

Assley Putz

News Comments > Molyneux's "Game" Next Month
10. I already know the answer to the mystery Jul 6, 2012, 23:17 TheVocalMinority

Peter Molyneux has been killed and replaced by a reptilian doppelganger.

Edit: ROFL what timing! And why's my name changed? My rank is "suspect"?
Edit2: ah, fixed

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2012, 23:37.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy
66. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 09:48 TheVocalMinority

This has been absolute gold! Enjoy your shit sandwich bitches - you've signed on for this as the future of gaming.

And whats that smell? Must be shill accounts getting burned trying to spin this (one was a REALLY big surprise I must admit).

Diablo 3 is a great game which entertained me enormously, and I've never even played it!

Assley Putz

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed May 1, 2012, 07:54 TheVocalMinority

Well done people, you have restored some of my faith in humanity (but only a little bit )  
Assley Putz

News Comments > Skyrim DLC Hints?
6. Re: Skyrim DLC Hints? Apr 27, 2012, 22:25 TheVocalMinority

Quinn wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 21:22:
...nothing you do really matters.

So...just like real life then...

Assley Putz