Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheVocalMinority

Real Name TheVocalMinority   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheVocalMinority
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 1, 2009, 04:01
Total Comments 116 (Novice)
User ID 54734

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
151. Open Elite? Nov 21, 2014, 07:09 TheVocalMinority

Came across this the other day, haven't played so don't know if it is any good but may scratch and itch for those who want to play an Elite type game offline:
http://www.oolite.org/

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective
49. Re: Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective Nov 19, 2014, 10:01 TheVocalMinority

Spektr wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 09:10:
I was trying to take KillCrit seriously then I read his post about Ubi Soft's communist action.. Thank you for this moment Sir I hadn't ROFLed for over a decade. Beware of the communist multinationales!

Troll or False Flag Strawman I'm sure.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 08:16 TheVocalMinority

Every Single Thing About This Gawker Headline Is Click-bait.  
Assley Putz

News Comments > etc., etc.
31. Re: etc., etc. Oct 29, 2014, 08:40 TheVocalMinority

NKD wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 02:27:
Prez wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 02:05:

This whole line of thinking is so wrong-headed I honestly don't even know where to start. So before Gamergate became a thing Twitter was never used for harassment? Do you guys even think about this stuff before you type it?

Join me!

Using that facility to ban people you simply disagree with rather than just trolls and griefers creates a nice echo chamber which doesn't challenge and hence improve your ideas. This is not a good thing.

Beamer is a smart guy, he just loves the Koolaid a little too much. He brings up some good points about Gamergate which you would do well to consider.

And anyway - I think you have missed a couple of his socks

Assley Putz

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
44. Re: Breitbart Oct 26, 2014, 02:35 TheVocalMinority

nin wrote on Oct 25, 2014, 14:06:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 25, 2014, 12:48:
Any chance for a real discussion is long gone, it's just fanatics yelling at each other now, with moderates getting drowned out in the noise.

Pretty much that exactly.

So I doesn’t worry either of you that one lot of fanatics has the mass media at their disposal to disseminate propaganda? I couldn't care less about the "games media" and haven't self identified as a gamer since that term came to mean someone who was willing to install malware in order to play computer games. However the way gamergate has been portrayed in the mass media is really concerning to me.

Assley Putz

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2014, 08:26 TheVocalMinority

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 10:47:

Try Pandora's Star. It is his best book, and it introduces his most popular universe (The Commonwealth.) It's my favorite sci fi novel of all time. I tend to re-read it at least once a year or so. Great characters, great story, great universe.

Word of warning - this and Judas Unchained are actually one very long book split in two, so you need to get both. It felt overly wordy and padded to me - although the nasty aliens are very cool.

Enjoyable enough if you have the time to slog through. Not anywhere near as good as Use of Weapons IMHO, which is the only Banks I've read.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
51. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 20, 2014, 07:20 TheVocalMinority

Interesting idea NKD, thanks for that.
I have been wondering myself what the link between Anita Sarkeesian and Gamergate is, given that Gamegate is ostensibly about corruption in Games media and as she isn't a Game Journalist or Game Developer. I found something from that link provided by NewMaxx that seemed to explain a lot (although obviously from a pro-GG POV) and decided to repost it here as others may be wondering the same thing. It is by a Reddit user called kapow25.

"its complicated but it really boils down to the fact that tv, music, and movies are a dying media form. video games are the new route through which cultural attitudes are being transferred to a new generation. this means that video games are becoming an ideological battleground for different groups who wish to control which message video games will carry.

The Dawn of Vidya

From the beginning, games, electronics and programming has been a masculine pursuit. Men are usually the early adopters of any new technology or social structure, therefore the video games and technology industries have developed a very strong masculine culture with masculine values. For the last 30 years no one really cared that this was the case because the industry did not carry a high amount of social prestige. Technology was considered a niche domain of nerds and social outcasts.

This disparaging description was obliterated when technology companies like sony, microsoft, apple, and others, became the most valuable and prestigious companies on earth. Video games began to make more money than movies and music combined. TV ratings began to collapse. Suddenly, nerds like steve jobs became more famous than rockstars. These new rockstars, and the companies they controlled, were almost exclusively men. The consumers of the video games industry were also men, and thus the industry appealed to masculine tastes. The video games industry became a temple of culture, a Parthenon, for the average american male.

Enter Feminism

Conversely, women had shunned technology for the last 30 years because of its negative social connotation. But they suddenly realized that they were on the losing end of a cultural and economic change that would compare to and exceed the industrial revolution.

Various women's groups, "Social Justice Warriors," and post modernists became desperate to get more women into technology fields, not because they were interested in electrical engineering, computer science or video games, but because they wanted to prevent the loss of control that women have in older dying industries. They tried to convince women to major in technology fields but no matter the amount of effort they expend, the proportion of technology majors continued to become more and more male.

This presented a major obstacle to feminists goals. How can you gain female control in an industry if no women want to enter it? They had few female engineers, but they had large numbers of newly minted female writers with worhtless liberal arts degrees. The solution then is to attempt to influence the industry from outside with criticism.

Sites began to appear which started to parrot the narrative of various post modernist and feminist ideologies. The most notorious of these sites was kotaku, a branch of the heavily left leaning gawker group. they published article after article deriding the people and cultural attitudes of the industry men had built. This is the actual title of an article published by kotaku:

Straight White Male: The Lowest Difficulty Setting There Is

They began to criticize games not for the merit of the game but for the perceived ideological stance it had on women and feminsim. If a game didnt have enough female heros, if it had women with revealing costumes, if it had "damsels in distress", if female characters were killed, or if anything offended their sensibilities it would be heavily criticized in the games review industry.

The relentless fusillade of identity politics eventually began to affect games companies. EA bent its knee to anita sarkesian when they hired her as an advisor. God of War was delayed for weeks to remove any female monsters or enemies because its was politically unpalatable to see women killed. Companies began to remove "boobplate" costumes from characters. Tech conventions surrendered to the will of adria richards.

Backlash

These political shenanigans were extremely abrasive to two main camps

The first camp is people who just dont give a fuck about identity politics and only wanted reviews to answer one question, "is the game fun?" they view any political considerations to be a corrupting influence to the gaming experience. They argue that if some political group started giving poor reviews to a game because it didnt have enough feminism, it is just as bad as poor reviews for not enough references to jesus christ. game reviews should only reflect the quality of the game and should be politically neutral. their battle cry could be, "STFU and play videogames"

The second camp is a broad coalition of groups who oppose the political agenda put forward by the SJWs for variety of reasons:

Artists who see SJW censorship as a inhibitor to the creative process

People who genuinely enjoy the things SWJs hate, such as sexy characters and rescuing princesses.

Meritocrats who view the identity politics as a form of favoritism and discrimination against people who work hard.

Capitalists who want the market to determine the success of a game, instead of a minority of feminist journalists

people that think SJWs should make their own games instead of fucking up the games of other people

conservatives opposed to social justice theories

MRAs who view the situation as an assault on an area of masculine interest

People who view SJW influence as an outside power trying to control videogames despite the fact that they have no interest in the hobby

people who think the SJW sites dont actually care about feminism or games, they just care about clickbaiting people for money, and they dont care about any collateral damage.

lastly, some are just contrarians who hate being pushed around and having ideologies forced down their throat, especially from people that dont play video games

The two opposing camps became increasingly angry over the SJW agenda. Notable individuals such as Internet Aristocrat, ThunderFoot, Maddox, and Sargon of Akkad began to organize a counter movement. They started making counter arguments on youtube to every piece of criticism that was published by the SJWs. In their videos, they demonstrated many glaring flaws and objectively incorrect statements in the SJW narrative.

A feud between the two sides reached the boiling point. Feminsts attempts to doxx and censor the anti-SJW side became commonplace. Tumblr organized raids into 4chan, and 4chan counter raided. A huge reservoir of hatred was building up for years.

The Dam Bursts

Each side was looking for anything to discredit their opponent. A windfall appeared in the form of a female indie developer named zoe quinn. she made an indie game called depression quest and was caught in several instances of censorship, doxxing, and other shenanigans. The most important of her actions was supposedly sleeping with several men in the industry and a kotaku writer. this kotaku writer gave positives reviews to depression quest despite the fact that it was an objectively terrible game. Worse, quinn's sabotaged of The Fine Young Capitalists indie game project, apparently to draw attention to her own competing project. Games journalists suppressed stories of quinn's schenanigans apparently because of the personal relationship they had with her.

The anti-SJW camps were waiting for any kind of fuck up from the kotaku writers. They pounced on this news as proof that kotaku was a corrupt institution, uninterested in providing objective information and instead interested only in promoting their female friends in the gaming industry. It was interpreted as a blatant example of quid pro quo.

At this point a third camp entered the anti-SWJ movement: People who want to end the rampant corruption and nepotism in the games journalism scene.

The news spread everywhere in the internet. 4chan, reddit, review sites, youtubers, and the main stream media. Most sites attempted to censor the news because they claimed it was doxxing and harassment. Several days later, a dozen sites simultaneously posted articles that presented an almost unanimous condemnation of the anti-SJW camps. This was interpreted by the opposition camps to mean that the "conspiracy" was even deeper than they suspected.

A mainstream journalist broke news that these SJW review sites have private discussions amongst each other with secret mailing lists to set the content and the tone of their articles. In effect, the conspiracy was confirmed."

The only thing I still want to know is what the hell is an MRA?

Edit:think = thing

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2014, 10:13.

Assley Putz

News Comments > GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000
33. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 16, 2014, 09:12 TheVocalMinority

Flatline wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 13:40:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 10:23:
I wasn't implying that it was a bad thing. Just that compared to lots of newer shooters, the Marine in AvP is *really* fast.

You'd be running like a bat out of hell too if you were that scared and vulnerable.

I don't remember if it was a diamond monster 3d or a Canopus Pure 3D II, only that it had a heart of gold.
And rendered like a horny angel!

Assley Putz

58. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2014, 07:57 TheVocalMinority

Happy birthday Blue's News!

I think the thing I like most is the light touch with respect to censoring posts and banning. Without that we wouldn't have nice things like the epic comments section of the Star Citizen stories.

My suggestion for revenue - ability to donate in the more popular crypocurrency (bitcoin, dogecoin etc.).

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 17:26:
Suggestion: Build in a Like system, improves posts and builds a better community.

God no.

Assley Putz

News Comments > etc.
35. Re: etc. Oct 8, 2014, 08:39 TheVocalMinority

I've found the #Gamergate saga to be interesting and have been meaning to write a screed about it here but I have never had the time. However I came across a post on Soylent News that was pretty close to what I would write so I repost here for your enjoyment. Note that being a bit more paranoid I tend to see the mainstream press mirroring the misogyny narrative as ideology based collusion, which is a little mind blowing.

"(First off, I apologise for the length of this post. There isn't a lot of discussion about how this "gamergate" thing is a good case study on narrative control by the media, and I think it's something worth mentioning. Unfortunately, that also requires filling in some points that are generally being omitted in these discussions, so that makes the post longer.)

The funniest part of the whole story is they somehow found some people gullible enough to not think "games journalism" or "journalism in general" is anything other than complimentary copy for the ads. Where do they find idiots like that anyway?

I think most people understood that was the case. It's been known for years (since the late '90s at least) that the gaming rags value their relationships with publishers because doing otherwise would jeopardise their "scoops". Recently, however, it's come out that there's more going on than even that.

I'm not involved in either side of this whole "SJW vs GamerGate" thing, but I've been following it out of curiosity. I find it interesting, because it's providing a real-time example of what happens when one side has control of the "narrative" that the public at large sees.

Prior to the "gamers are dead" thing, it was just a celebrity scandal type deal. Indie dev allegedly slept with people to garner favourable opinions and exposure, ex-boyfriend told a sad story and people jumped on it. If it'd stayed at that nothing would have happened, probably, but then came a slew of "gamers are dead!" articles.

All these "gamers are dead" op-ed style pieces were published within a ~24 hour period, all following the same basic narrative, across multiple (most?) gaming-oriented sites. Moderate or conflicting views were nonexistent. A few writers that did attempt to provide moderate views in contrast to the "gamers are dead" narrative found themselves punished in some way, though (allegedly) the reasons were unrelated to the posting.

The whole thing seemed kind of suspicious, even to an outsider like me; I saw a bunch of conveniently timed op-ed pieces on multiple sites and wondered about their timing and impetus. For the people actually involved, it further fueled suspicions of industry collusion, narrative control, and greater problems within the "game journalism" industry than originally believed.

Those suspicions bore fruit when the existence an industry-wide mailing list called "Game Journo Pros" was leaked by a list member to a non-gaming journalist. Game Journo Pros is a mailing list with ~150 members (a few dupes, so slightly fewer) ranging from editors, such as Ben Kuchera of Polygon and Greg Tito of Escapist, to writers for various gaming sites. (Including GamaSutra, the one mentioned in the summary here.)

In addition to listing members, the leaks provided email content indicating that certain members were discussing what sort of narrative they should take as a group when reporting on the gamergate thing. It also included a discussion on how to moderate and shut down community discussions on their respective sites. It started innocently enough, with Greg Tito asking for opinions and input about how to manage a discussion on Escapist about it, but some of the members (primarily Kuchera) got pretty forceful about it, demanding that Tito completely shut down the community discussion. Tito decided to leave the discussion open and only moderate problematic posts within it, and Kuchera started criticising Tito for not doing what he was basically ordered to by Kuchera and others.

Back to why I find this interesting: you don't see much discussion about this side of it at any of those gaming sites. Instead, the narrative is tightly focused on "misogyny" and harassment of an indie dev and some feminist youtuber that cherry-picks data points to make her arguments. If you only follow those sites, that's the only view you get: that there's nothing wrong, nothing going on, just some neckbeard woman-haters harassing a couple of poor downtrodden women and the journalists that defended them. Furthermore, you only see that view because the writers and editors discussed beforehand what sort of angle to take.

Plenty of talk about how the prominent non-GG side people get "doxxed" or harassed, but no mention of the GG-side people getting the same treatment. Some of those "journalists" have been quite vocal in harassing, too, but it gets glossed over. When the Destructoid founder told another journo to "BURN YOU FUCKING HACK" while also trying to shame and discredit him, it didn't make news the same way unverified statements on the "other side" did. Plenty of writing about the horrible motives behind GG people and how they're all "misogynists", painting everyone involved with a broad brush, but scarcely a mention of the more substantial problems that have come to light.

This is what happens when one side of a conflict has near-complete control of the narrative and discussion. That side gets reported favourably and the entire thing becomes skewed, and the general public gets handed a specific, distorted reality that glosses over other problems. Then that distorted perception becomes the only "truth" and you end up with things like Garrett's blog post, where anybody disagreeing with him gets their comments replaced with "fart fart fart" (very mature on his part, by the way).

Note: this isn't intended to be comprehensive. There's plenty of crap being slung by both sides, and I'm not personally involved with either side, so I'm not writing this to list every grievance (for either side). I just find it fascinating how one-sided the coverage has been and how that narrative control is affecting not just the story, but how people outside the general gaming circles are being influenced.

This has been a great example of why people should be skeptical of their news sources. If you aren't finding conflicting opinions and multiple sides of the same story, you're probably being fed bullshit, because you're probably being sold a narrative instead of given actual news."

Assley Putz

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Oct 2, 2014, 08:07 TheVocalMinority

My Baby Reached For My Dog's Mouth And I Was Terrified! Suddenly THIS Happened!  
Assley Putz

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: etc., etc. Sep 23, 2014, 05:15 TheVocalMinority

This Gamergate/quinspiracy thing is just getting surreal, slowly going from good popcorn munching entertainment to kind of scary. I mean 4chan censoring posts - what is the world coming to!  
Assley Putz

News Comments > TOXIKK Gameplay Trailer
8. Re: TOXIKK Gameplay Trailer Sep 20, 2014, 23:51 TheVocalMinority

Was liking the look of this up until the third person view in the vehicle. One of the appeals of this type of games is the immersiveness of the first person view and throwing to third person in a vehicle really kills that for me.  
Assley Putz

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
107. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 16, 2014, 07:57 TheVocalMinority

Flatline wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 13:37:
We all know what's going on here. Notch wanted to buy the uber-founder-super-pack in Star Citizen for 850 million dollars that comes with an actual real-world towel and a single ship named after Notch and the only way to do this was to sell Minecraft.

Well, I heard that he had actually propositioned Zoe Quinn, and not being at all interested she came back with "only if you gave me a billion dollars"...

Assley Putz

News Comments > Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial
45. Re: Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial Aug 16, 2014, 23:23 TheVocalMinority

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 12:42:
//I don't believe that music is fair use - wonder how much that cost them.

Kids these days. No appreciation of the classics!

LOL.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Also_sprach_Zarathustra_%28Strauss%29

Assley Putz

News Comments > Star Citizen in Depth
40. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 5, 2014, 07:45 TheVocalMinority

[VG]Reagle wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 22:48:
My fingers are twitching to reply to this thread......

OMG MUST STOP NOW!!!!

GIVE IN TO YOUR HATE. HATE MAKES YOU STRONG!

Assley Putz

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Aug 2, 2014, 03:57 TheVocalMinority

Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 14:33:

There ya go. Anyone from the outside looking in doesn't even know where to start. With Windows you know exactly what you're getting. As open as Linux is, that's also one of its major problems.

That's absurd. You are essentially saying that having choice is a bad thing.

Assley Putz

News Comments > BF4 Test Environment Results
16. Re: BF4 Test Environment Results Jun 30, 2014, 04:43 TheVocalMinority

Slick wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 02:50:
valve didn't even change anything and they're re-released that game 3 times already and people still buy that shit, while shitting on games that are trying to PUSH GAMING FORWARD.

[wank wank wank]

you don't give a "flying fuck" about how "hard" it is to get it right? well i can see that, you clearly have no grasp about the world of which you speak. read a fucking book. i swear the reason my battlefield games aren't perfect is because the internet is clogged up with so much stupid.

Or perhaps the internet is clogged up with viral marketing shills?
Curious to know how being unable to run dedicated servers, drm and lack of support for moding is pushing gaming forward. Tell that to your corporate overlords.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2014, 01:04 TheVocalMinority

One thing I'm curious about. I've not played Minecraft myself but I think I read somewhere that either the client or server (or possibly both) had to phone home before it would start. Baring the existence of a hacked server I imagine this would make it easy for Notch to enforce the "new" rules on server admins. If they didn't comply the server simply would not start. Anyone know if this is the case?  
Assley Putz

News Comments > EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds
16. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 10, 2014, 22:49 TheVocalMinority

Slick wrote on May 10, 2014, 22:13:
there should still be a legacy service to support these titles obviously, but how butthurt are you actually because you can't play them anymore? name one title that you actually play online from that list and i'll eat my words

For some reason I thought this EA shill account had been abandoned a while ago.

I still play BF1942 on occasion - the local Forgotten Hope/Secret Weapons server has the full 80 players of an evening (have to make sure you get in early to get a game). I think Qtracker will still be able to be used after the shut-down though as they maintain their own server lists separate from Gamespy?

Assley Putz

116 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo