Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for TheVocalMinority

Real Name TheVocalMinority   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname TheVocalMinority
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 1, 2009, 04:01
Total Comments 142 (Novice)
User ID 54734

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Jul 31, 2015, 00:16 TheVocalMinority

Undocumented Alien wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 11:41:
Why on Earth would anyone install an OS that so blatantly spies on it's users?

LoL.. what doesn't collect data these days? iPhones, iPads, Android devices, NSA, they ALL do. And most have settings to turn them on or off. STEAM collects data if you let it.

Information technology collects data - it's kind of the whole point of it. The issue is who has access to that data - most free (as in freedom) OS's give you control over the data generated by your own system, and there are also ways to limit the tracking of your browsing and general internet use as well (Privoxy, VPNs, etc).

But yes I know having some privacy these days requires you to actively to something about it, which is a hassle and inconvenient. And the harms from not having privacy are subtle or slow to manifest themselves so you're not going to worry yourself about it.

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated]
14. Hookers and Blow? Jul 6, 2015, 10:53 TheVocalMinority

Maybe he was too burnt out from all the hookers and blow?  
Assley Putz

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 1, 2015, 09:17 TheVocalMinority

InBlack wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 07:27:
Where is Beamer, did he get tired of being the devil's advocate on this board?

Devil's advocate? I'm pretty sure he fully believes most of what he has written.

I've seen what I'm pretty sure is one of his alt accounts submitting stories recently but not a lot of forum activity.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2015, 08:03 TheVocalMinority

Pretty sure Slick is an EA shill - just a really really terrible one.  
Assley Putz

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Everything you think you know about color is wrong May 4, 2015, 05:29 TheVocalMinority

This is an excellent video which I almost didn't watch due to the click-bait title.  
Assley Putz

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup May 1, 2015, 23:09 TheVocalMinority

wasteoid wrote on May 1, 2015, 20:22:
To be quickly followed up by Game-Cheat, the world's first hardware anti-anti-cheat device.

No need, Unless I'm missing something as I only quickly scanned the article, but a software cheat could just feed false data to the device to make it look like everything was fine.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront November Release Revealed? Teaser Trailer
14. Re: Star Wars Battlefront November Release Revealed? Teaser Trailer Apr 17, 2015, 07:14 TheVocalMinority

JAGUART wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 06:38:
Remember the Battlefield 1942 Mod Galactic Conquest?

That was so good, it was more Star Wars THAN Star Wars.

I certainly do! The version that was first released was hilariously bad - comical shuffling walkers, an endless steam of people spawning over the pit monster from ep 6 and plummeting in as soon as they moved forward, the wonky speeder physics. I don't think I have ever laughed so much playing a computer game. It was eventually developed into a very good mod but in between there was a lot of meh.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 4, 2015, 00:44 TheVocalMinority

ForgedReality wrote on Apr 3, 2015, 19:36:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 3, 2015, 18:48:
Cutter wrote on Apr 3, 2015, 17:57:
Corrupt judge decides to get in while the getting's good...shocker!

And the feds knew he downloaded this in the first place how exactly? That's the most important question that's not even been asked here.

Well, it was over bittorrent. If he was downloading to his public folder (which a lot of clients have as default), it would have been visible, I think.

That's why it's not so much a cautionary tale of the "dangers of bittorrent," but more about reasons why you should never use public trackers.

Probably more a cautionary tale about not leaving materials about making bombs on a work computer in a folder called "anarchy", particularly when you are in danger of loosing said job. Although not stated outright in the article it is strongly implied that it was his former employer who contacted the police - hence the bomb sniffing dogs.

Assley Putz

31. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2015, 06:55 TheVocalMinority

nin wrote on Apr 2, 2015, 00:13:
In all seriousness, I don't mean to offend. But Bronies (and their rise, over the past few years) really have me scratching my head.

I always figured it was a 4chan psyop that got out of control. Kind of like using a biological warfare agent escaping from the research facility where it has been contained, but in this case a it's a memetic virus inexplicably turning young men into fans of a TV show made for little girls.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Morning Interviews
36. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 28, 2015, 02:05 TheVocalMinority

Verno wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 09:14:
They did so, Cognitive Dissonance kicked in, and Steam became something that "Revolutionised PC Gaming" rather than being annoying DRM and spyware.

This is a really weird, revisionist history sort of comment. People bitched endlessly about Steam when it sucked. In fact most people hated the WON/Steam transition for CS and the HL2 launch, you can find internet archives filled with complaints on various PC sites including this one. People only really liked Steam after it actually started becoming more stable, feature complete and Valve put some effort into the store front side of things.

Valve was not lucky and they didn't really gamble on anything, they built the DD market one piece at a time pretty deliberately. There were many missteps along the way but they're still the best in the market as far as I'm concerned. While EA, Ubisoft and etc have been farting around trying to extract as much money as possible from console owners Valve created a new market on the PC and set some standards that the PC market desperately needed at the time.

Yes people bitched and moaned initially - that's exactly my point. The Commentary typically went something like:
"zOMG what is this BS", then
"I had to install steam to play [game] moan moan bitch bitch"
and finally "OMG Steam is so awesome, it has benefits".

Maybe Steam was so awesome that gamers, once they tried it, found it to be awesome. But I think not. Particularly given this is the pattern for every piece of BS that has come down the pipe since (although the final justification varies).

Oh and nice try Slick, but I think it is you who is the historical revisionist. And Steam - a Telescreen.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Morning Interviews
33. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 27, 2015, 08:53 TheVocalMinority

DrSquick wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 10:50:
You know what I've been thinking about lately? How did Steam make the first move, because there were so many others that could have done it first. For example, do you remember Gamespy? Before it was a crappy website, it was essentially the only multiplayer server finder. Can you imagine if they had the foresight to start offering games for sale digitally? It would have been a natural fit - I already use Gamespy every day to find servers to play on for these 30 games, why don't I just buy my game here too.

Valve was the only company that COULD have done it - Counterstrike was far and away the biggest game around at the time (performing the important function of keeping lamers off the other game servers) and they made Counterstrike dependent upon Steam. If the CS kiddies wanted to play Counterstrike they had to install Steam. They did so, Cognitive Dissonance kicked in, and Steam became something that "Revolutionised PC Gaming" rather than being annoying DRM and spyware.

If any other company had done it gamers would have refused to buy into it an the company would have been sunk. But of course once Steam succeeded and was seen to be OK other similar services followed and it opened the flood gates for an anti-consumer race to the bottom. Online only DRM, No LAN play or mods etc.

So now that I have explained this you can start thinking instead about how to cure the world of war, or poverty or whatever.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Descent: Underground Single-Player Details
17. Re: Descent: Underground Single-Player Details Mar 16, 2015, 04:48 TheVocalMinority

Orogogus wrote on Mar 15, 2015, 14:33:
I feel like people on this board are kind of jerks.

FTFY

Assley Putz

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
106. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 13, 2015, 03:20 TheVocalMinority

Jivaro wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 14:29:
At this point, it really seems everyone has their mind made up about how they feel about the game and it's development process. I mean, every thread about this game is essentially the same. It seems like there are mainly 4 different types of people that post in these threads.

1) Haters - May or may not have backed the game. They have their reasons and they tell everyone what they are in every single thread. I don't understand this group at all, just like I didn't understand this same type pre-D3's release. The whole "I hate this and you should too for all these reasons that make complete sense to me...or you're big, fat, ugly, and dumb!" thing just doesn't really make sense to me. It's not that they are absent of facts in their posts, but there sure are a lot of assumptions that go with them.

2) Fans - Backed the game, some REALLY backed it. They have their reasons and they defend them in every single thread. I don't really get this group either, just like I didn't understand this same type pre-D3's release. The whole "I love this and you should too for all these reasons that make complete sense to me... or you're big, fat, ugly, and dumb!" thing just doesn't really make sense to me. It's not that they are absent of facts in their posts, but there sure are a lot of assumptions that go with them.

3) "Wake me up when Squadron 42 is out" - They backed the game to play the single player. The rest of the game is either a bonus or completely irrelevant. Since they won't be able to play the full single player experience all at once for some time, they are basically in hibernation. I myself fit into this group. I only come here because occasionally the "fans" comment on something I am interested in and I go look it up at the official forums. Sometimes I let myself get sucked into the debate of the day. It's not something I am proud of but hey, I am only human.

4) The Disappointed - These are the people that backed the game and for one reason or another wish they hadn't. Honestly, I very much understand this point of view. Lots of things have changed about the game, not all of it means much to many of the backers, and it's obvious the release date is a ways off. Did Roberts ever say that wasn't a possibility, well no..of course not. That doesn't make it any less disappointing. A great many people have absolutely zero interest in beta testing and yet that is essentially all a great many backers feel like they have to look forward to for the foreseeable future. I think a great many of the people that fall into the "Wake me up for Squadron 42" club fall into this last group as well...or will eventually depending on the length of time it takes to arrive.

Did I miss anyone? I mean, I realize there is a 5th group who may or may not have backed the game, look forward to all aspects of the game, and have decided to just sit tight until release...but since they don't post often it's hard to gauge their number.

Yes you did miss a quite significant group that contributes to these threads - the Trolls!

Assley Putz

News Comments > Retail Tower of Guns
1. Re: Retail Tower of Guns Feb 19, 2015, 06:11 TheVocalMinority

Great Game, also on GOG:
http://www.gog.com/game/tower_of_guns

Assley Putz

2. Re: THE LAST OF US (Teens React- Gaming). Feb 2, 2015, 10:06 TheVocalMinority

I see that there are tons of these sorts of video on youtube (x social group react to y media/tech) and I'm not really sure why they exist. I just don't understand why I should care, or anyone for that matter. Can someone enlighten me? Is there something wrong with me that means I just don't get it? OK maybe that last one is a given....

Transgender octogenarians react to Bakelite radios.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Steam for Linux Bug Could Cause Data Loss
2. Re: Steam for Linux Bug Could Cause Data Loss Jan 16, 2015, 23:00 TheVocalMinority

The problem with Linux becoming more popular on the desktop is that it is now targeted by windows style malware  
Assley Putz

News Comments > Star Citizen at $69M
44. Re: No stretch goal? Jan 9, 2015, 00:06 TheVocalMinority

Minuit wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 16:24:
I thought that his next promise was to change the name to from "Star Citizen" to "Battle Cruiser 3001 AD".

CHRIS ROBERTS
CHRIS ROBERTS
CHRIS ROBERTS

Hey it's worth a try, Chris Roberts vs The Blues News Whiny Bitches would be awesome.

Assley Putz

News Comments > $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced
39. Re: $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced Jan 7, 2015, 00:17 TheVocalMinority

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 14:30:
I have to have an add-in sound card due to my weird motherboard and video combination but in the future I'll just be using the onboard audio.

Creative never updates drivers so if you buy something from them and run into a driver problem, too bad for you.

AFAIK there are driver updates, in fact I'm pretty sure I have updated drivers in my windows drivers archive for some of the Creative cards I've got. However once the Card is superseded they will remove all the driver updates from their web site and legally threaten anyone else who hosts the drivers for download.

Creative would have to be the most anti-consumer company associated with computer games that isn't an out and out scam (and this isnít and industry that is exactly known for it's consumer friendliness). Do not buy their shit people.

Assley Putz

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
14. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 3, 2015, 15:02 TheVocalMinority

Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 13:54:
TheVocalMinority wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 11:09:
Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 21:53:
TheVocalMinority wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 21:27:
Icewind wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 18:21:
Smells like that article was written by an SJW.

I'd imagine if they were a "Social Justice" warrior they should understand the concept of human rights which the first comic gets horribly wrong (a first for XKCD as far as I know). As soon as I saw that I knew the article was going to be complete nonsense. Didn't realise io9 was gawker media.

This is the weirdest, most incorrect opinion I've seen here.

I was sure I was on the Beamer ignore list. Guess not.

If you think this is the weirdest, most incorrect opinion I consider this to be a considerable achievement given the quality of comment I see on this site.

For the most part I couldn't care less if I am wrong (weird I don't get at all, but there you go). However one thing I'm curious about if you will humour me - are you claiming that the XKCD comic is correct insofar as the right to free speech only exists due to its enumeration in Law? Not a fundamental right acquired just through being a human being?

Oh the irony is rich!

The comic says that you can't say something without getting criticism, and no one else has to listen to it.

You say it's wrong.
I say you're an idiot.

You then criticize me and put me on ignore. By your own asinine logic, you just violated my fundamental right by doing exactly what the comic says you're allowed to do, which you said was wrong.

Holy shit, it's terrifying that you don't connect these dots yet you vote.

Wow you are really starting to loose it Beamer! You misinterpreted what I wrote - I don't use an ignore list, assumed I was on yours after a previous exchange. You also attribute claims to me that I never made. I never stated that you can say something without getting criticism, or that ignoring someone is a violation of a fundamental right.

The comic made a very specific claim about the the right to free speech which is wrong - admittedly, on rereading it, not as egregiously as I had remembered - I've mixed it up with a lot of other things in the same vain I've read recently. It strongly implies that the right to free speech only exists as a result of law, and outright states that it only applies to government restrictions on speech (specifically being arrested for what you say).

Assley Putz

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 3, 2015, 11:09 TheVocalMinority

Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 21:53:
TheVocalMinority wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 21:27:
Icewind wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 18:21:
Smells like that article was written by an SJW.

I'd imagine if they were a "Social Justice" warrior they should understand the concept of human rights which the first comic gets horribly wrong (a first for XKCD as far as I know). As soon as I saw that I knew the article was going to be complete nonsense. Didn't realise io9 was gawker media.

This is the weirdest, most incorrect opinion I've seen here.

I was sure I was on the Beamer ignore list. Guess not.

If you think this is the weirdest, most incorrect opinion I consider this to be a considerable achievement given the quality of comment I see on this site.

For the most part I couldn't care less if I am wrong (weird I don't get at all, but there you go). However one thing I'm curious about if you will humour me - are you claiming that the XKCD comic is correct insofar as the right to free speech only exists due to its enumeration in Law? Not a fundamental right acquired just through being a human being?

Assley Putz

142 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo