Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for 007Bistromath

Real Name 007Bistromath   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2009, 05:44
Total Comments 185 (Novice)
User ID 54732

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III RMAH Issues
50. Re: Diablo III RMAH Issues Jul 1, 2012, 13:28 007Bistromath

nin wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 12:35:
Riker wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 10:28:
Blizzard's non-response on the matter is fucking outrageous.

Yet typical!

More than that; it's best practice. This is turning out to be such a fuckup that they can't say anything outside of a courtroom.

For obvious reasons, I am significantly in the minority on this: I think the RMAH is a great idea that could solve a number of problems.

The implementation of that idea has been so hopelessly cornholed that it likely cannot be fixed without legal action that gets it first completely removed. If we ever see a working version of the concept, it won't be for at least a year after Blizzard has finished paying out settlements.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III Security
46. No subject May 23, 2012, 10:33 007Bistromath

Oh god. They're responding to this problem by making it worse. How can they not realize what a bad idea SMS Protect is? Many dumbphones are practically disposable through prepaid services. The gravy train just got a new car.  

News Comments > Valve on Half-Life 3 Ricochet 2
2. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 23, 2012, 09:38 007Bistromath

On behalf of the six people who would actually want a sequel to Ricochet: screw you, gaben.  

News Comments > Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL
6. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 17, 2012, 10:42 007Bistromath

So, basically what I read here is that Microsoft is committed to turning out piles of console port fucktrash, with "core" gamers served by old, dry, boring horseshit via GFWL.  

News Comments > Apple's Cook Visits Valve?
29. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 16:11 007Bistromath

Now Windows 8 on all your PC's that's something to scream about.

I'd love that. I think this weird interface fetish they're developing is disturbing, but they'll get over it. Generally speaking, if you want your rig to do all the latest shader tricks, it needs the latest windows on it. So... yup.

News Comments > EA Explains Warhammer 40K Tank Issue
15. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 10:52 007Bistromath

Fortunately, they can keep having other companies make products that are actually relevant out of it.:V  

13. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 13, 2012, 23:07 007Bistromath

Sepharo wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 23:01:
I don't think it makes any sense. There's no reason for Apple not to use their own store.
One reason why is in the post you quoted. With SteamPlay, another is a large legacy library.

I still like my rampant speculation better, though. I hope somebody sneaks a camera into the fight. I want to see if gaben really can unhinge his jaw like a snake.

7. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 13, 2012, 21:45 007Bistromath

From a conversation with a friend.

Me: (this story)

Him: ....god, I hope this is either nonsense or not business related.

Me: It being business-related could still be good, or at least non-harmful, in two ways.

Three. I meant three.

The problem I have whenever I try to enumerate things like this is that I can't keep track of what they are and count them at the same time. I should ask a neurologist about this. They could write a paper.

Anyway.

Him: Hahahah your brain.

Me: 1) It's something to do with that SteamPlay stuff they used to get games on the mac.

2) Valve IS going into the standardized rig biz, and Apple has showed up to try to strongarm them into overcharging like they and Alienware do. This is Gabe Newell. Strongarms just sink into his doughy surface. We'll be safe.

3) They're going to do dipshit peripherals. w/e

Him: I like number 2 the best.

Me: Yes.

The way I basically picture this playing out is Cook gets to gaben's office, and he starts flexing those arms, and Gabe just gets really super-pissed and he climbs on his desk and the eye lasers come out. Winner: Newell, TKO 2:27 into Round 2 when the doctor stops the fight.

2. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 13, 2012, 20:42 007Bistromath

No... it was his double! They sent him to foil an assassination attempt, because the real Cook is going to Microsoft.  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions
52. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 20:12 007Bistromath

Huh. This is a perfect example of how hostile it can be to simply quote somebody out of context.

My first reaction: "oh woo. Some corporate cheesedick who doesn't play games thinks he's qualified to say shit because lots of money is involved. Love this shit."

I read the article: "weird... this makes sense. And... yeah, he's just continuing to make sense. Okay, cool, doing something else now. Not in the mood to watch somebody boring make sense."

News Comments > Epic Making PC Exclusive Game
34. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 8, 2012, 18:48 007Bistromath

I bet ten bucks it's still a consolized piece of garbage.  

News Comments > Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller
20. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 12:38 007Bistromath

They would've pissed people off alot less if they'd just told the truth: if you play this game with a mouse, you're objectively wrong. It's just not that kind of game. Reaction is more important than precision.  

News Comments > Rovio Acquires Futuremark Games Studio
2. Re: Rovio Acquires Futuremark Games Studio Mar 27, 2012, 11:14 007Bistromath

My guess: no matter what else went with it, they pretty much just sold the name because they're finished making games. Rovio will pump out hackneyed, lo-fi, casual trash with Futuremark's name on it, and we'll never see anything that tries to bring unique game concepts and solid graphical scalability together again.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Figures Include DLC
6. Re: Mass Effect 3 Figures Include DLC Jan 23, 2012, 22:19 007Bistromath

I am really glad the main story is definitely finished in the next game, because the more I hear about what they're doing with this franchise, the more I'm convinced it's time to get out.  

News Comments > Space Quest 2 Remake
8. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 22, 2012, 03:36 007Bistromath

That's weird. I thought this got C&D'd a while back. What am I thinking of?  

News Comments > No Diablo III Korean Approval Yet
7. Re: No Diablo III Korean Approval Yet Jan 4, 2012, 11:44 007Bistromath

What's actually happening here: South Korea and China were pretty much the entire market for rare items back in Diablo II when it had to be done illegitimately. They don't want the competition. "Every country will receive identical software" means if Korea gets Blizzard to fold on the real money system, they get to keep their near monopoly, at the expense of players in the rest of the world who don't want to deal with their shady bullshit but also don't want to wait seven years for the last piece of the awesome set they're collecting.  

News Comments > BF2143 Hinted?
32. Re: BF2143 Hinted? Dec 19, 2011, 14:43 007Bistromath

deqer wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 14:38:
No bots for Titan-mode maps?

...What the hell do you need bots for? You did check what year this is, right?

Wildone wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 14:39:
god Dice, fukin fix BF3 before you make a new game huh!

Oh, come on man. We all love BF in general, but seriously, if a game were ever fixed, it wouldn't be by DICE.

29. Re: BF2143 Hinted? Dec 19, 2011, 14:34 007Bistromath

Matshock wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 14:18:
That tells me everything I need to know about your opinions.

I guess it's not cool to try to encourage a dev who makes something I find pleasantly unusual? o_O

26. Re: BF2143 Hinted? Dec 19, 2011, 14:32 007Bistromath

Verno wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 14:05:
I think the thing missing that ties those things all together is cooperation which is greatly facilitated by voicechat. Put differently, changing everything around and putting the commander role back into BF3 without voicechat wouldn't have a significant impact in my opinion.

As I pointed out earlier, voicechat wasn't commonly used in 2142. When a squad used it to coordinate, they did have an advantage as always, but they also usually didn't need to, something that's always been true to some degree in BF due to the spotting mechanic. In fact, its main tactical use is simply to cover for those times when the spot key just doesn't want to work for whatever reason.

In fact, my experience with Natural Selection suggests that voicechat can often severely harm unit cohesion when there is a mechanically-designated commander. When the commander has a voice, he's a person, and... well, you know FPS players. They're not always nice to people. Arguments will start over stupid things, any perceived failure is magnified, and people start fucking off in their own direction pretty fast. Without voice, somebody who has a bird's-eye view and can give orders is less likely to be seen as presumptuous for doing so. The orders are almost treated as though they were assigned by the computer; players simply judge whether the order seems valid considering their current location and armament, (assuming they notice they've been given an order) and follow it or don't. The worst that can ever be said of a silent commander is "well, this guy doesn't seem to know what he's doing all that well," and the cheap goodwill built up by dropping a box, however unnecessary it is, can often be enough to convince people to accept an objective anyway.

I guess the main thing missing here is why objectives are important. Players have a strong tendency to pile onto one place as soon as they hear there's action there. In fact, they have a tendency to approach it almost completely from one obvious direction. Having somebody with the perceived authority to give squads something else to do is what makes the difference between tactics and a consensual meat-grinder.

22. Re: BF2143 Hinted? Dec 19, 2011, 13:53 007Bistromath

bhcompy wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 10:52:
Indeed. The best thing about WW2 as an era for videogames is that there is no goddamned technology to fark things up. No guided shells/missiles, no infrared/thermal vision, no autoshotguns, no LMGs with sniper scopes and silencers(or that you can even fire from the hip), etc. Makes for a funner experience. I'd personally love to replay something like the original MoH with the Frostbite engine

And 2142 had shit for vehicles

Let me fix that for you.

The best thing about WW2 as an era for videogames is that people will buy ANYTHING set during that period because they can't resist constantly reliving the last period in American history when this nation didn't suck balls. Guided shells/missiles, infrared/thermal vision, autoshotguns, LMGs with sniper scopes and silencers, and a host of other fanciful tools of war were all invented during it and not even uncommon, but people who like the subgenre are only interested in feverishly wanking over D-Day and Stalingrad, so developers can release effort-free dumbed-down snipe-heavy crap and be guaranteed to sell it for $60. Makes for a redundant experience. I'd personally hate to completely waste the features of an engine with destructible buildings on a game where you can only use dumbfire rockets that often fire 15 degrees off-target to do anything with it.

And 2142 had goddamn mechs and hovertanks

Verno wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 13:44:
I don't mind the loss of the commander role as most of those functions are deprecated or implemented elsewhere in a different way.

I beg to differ. The assets may not be all that important anymore with the abilities of the individual soldier improved, but they gave the intrepid something to deny their enemy, resulting in extra depth. Aside from that, there are two things the commander provides which nothing a game without one can possibly have. The increased intel provided by a whole-map view of the action, and the greater level of coordination that facilitates. (When squad leaders listened to the guy, anyway.) The commander brought something to 2142 that is rarely seen in games: real tactics layered on top of the usual paradigm of people putting their eyes in the right place.

Also, you could fire yourself out of a titan and kill people with your drop pod. :V

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2011, 14:04.

185 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo