Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for 007Bistromath

Real Name 007Bistromath   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2009, 05:44
Total Comments 190 (Novice)
User ID 54732

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard "Looking At" F2P StarCraft II Multiplayer
26. Re: Blizzard Sep 22, 2012, 03:08 007Bistromath

Blackhawk wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 00:53:
A company making money isn't greed. It is their job, and with most companies, it is the law.

That is exactly the problem. Making money is a terrible goal for a company producing arts & entertainment. In other industries, the impact can be variable, but here it is always bad. I'm not talking about morality; pride of workmanship is a necessity for this industry, and the moment you are publicly traded, you're legally barred from having any. Every single thing you do must be calculated to squeeze the most money out of the least effort. It is a slow death sentence.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Blizzard Sep 21, 2012, 23:32 007Bistromath

TheEmissary wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 21:24:
As far as people bitching about them worrying about how they would monetize it, what the fuck do you expect? No one would do F2P if they couldn't make money off of it. Even Valve makes boatloads of cash off of their F2P model. If you're expecting developers to just hand you shit with no way for them to make money, you're either stupid or naive. Seriously, your complaints aren't even making sense anymore, just go fuck yourselves.

NO U

They are taking an existing product and screwing it up. I don't play SC2, and wouldn't if they paid me, but I know when something is Fd in the A zone. With successful F2P schemes, a game is either built from the ground up to be playable as an a la carte experience, or the parts you buy are things that don't change the core gameplay. If they wanted to sell maps on a microtransaction basis, that'd be fine. Even small efficiency tweaks would be a sensible way of doing this, because people just go apeshit for advancement mechanics of any kind, and the existing competitive scene could continue to exist at the end of that silly little metagame.

Their best idea, which they admit is stupid, is "give people a broken version of our game."

That's not even how you make a good demo, in the traditional scheme. It makes even less sense in the new model. It is full retard, and even talking about it shows that they're putting zero thought or effort into this.

Having a F2P game that is actually just a portion of your hard drive that says "buy the real thing and this won't suck anymore" is not magnanimous. They sold their game to just about everyone who actually wants it. They got paid. If they want to convert less interested people into sales, this crap is not how to do it.

2. Re: Blizzard "Looking At" F2P StarCraft II Multiplayer<br> Blizzard is "looking at free to play as a Sep 21, 2012, 20:42 007Bistromath

"We don't know how we would monetize it."

what in the hell people

Don't fucking monetize it. Releasing one side or the other of a game with two halves is called a goddamn demo. You don't fucking charge for that! It's advertising!

Aside from that, you could, oh, i don't know give them fewer maps, maybe? What the hell is wrong with you that you think you have to come up with some new stupid thing to solve this non-problem?

FUCK

News Comments > Steam EU Legal Conflict
27. Re: Steam EU Legal Conflict Sep 21, 2012, 19:06 007Bistromath

You know, this could actually be a good thing. Steam already has the road paved for reselling with its inventory system. They just haven't used it for that because other publishers and devs will scream bloody murder if Steam allows the return of that evil demon secondary market. If somebody forces their hand, they'll figure out a good system for this; if anyone can do it, it's gaben. Many companies will jump ship, possibly going as far as to yank their titles and cause some kind of... refund cascade failure. But Valve will easily survive it and become better for it, and fuck anybody that reacts in that fashion in any case.

Interesting times.

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Beta Begins
1. Re: Steam Big Picture Beta Begins Sep 10, 2012, 20:46 007Bistromath

I am posting this using the daisy wheel. Feels good, man. Exciting new developments in lazy fatassery happening as we speak.

Really hope they develop this text entry model further.

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Mode Preview; Trailer
14. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Preview; Trailer Sep 10, 2012, 20:12 007Bistromath

FTR: this is going to sound awful. I go out at least a little most days, though, I am not bed-ridden. That's just the only convenient place I currently have to spend most of my "nothing to do" time.

Huh. I'm really impressed. I don't even have a living room, but I think this might be useful to me. If I'm laying in bed, I don't necessarily want the laptop on me; it gets too warm, and is cumbersome to move around when I need to flop to some other position so my back/neck doesn't throw a fit. Laying on my belly works, but then typing is a strain, and it's not good for my neck.

With this, I can have the lappy on a chair next to the bed without needing to stress myself reaching over to type on it. The "first-person browser" idea means that might even be useful when I'm not playing games. Neat.

News Comments > Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow
30. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 10, 2012, 03:51 007Bistromath

That's because pretty much all the major problems were ironed out of it long ago. They still work on balance tweaks on a regular basis, particularly since they frequently add promo stuff that matters rather than just hats.

It's been a long time since I liked playing it all that much, but it isn't hard to see that TF2 is the most perfect game (in the sense of "functional completeness") in the history of the hobby, and they're still working on it. That means something, and it's certainly not a something directly related to the bottom line.

News Comments > On Darksiders II Sales
14. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 19:10 007Bistromath

This is obvious bullshit. The market's only been "dying" for the last twenty years.

Market analyst: n.; a person paid vast sums to talk out of their ass.

News Comments > DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer
4. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer Sep 5, 2012, 10:58 007Bistromath

Seems like an entirely reasonable decision to me. That engine's been open source for years. Carmack knows anybody who actually wants that already has zDoom or somesuch other thing that has more features than he'd be interested in putting in an official product.  

News Comments > Spec Ops: The Line MP Knocked By Dev
19. Re: Spec Ops: The Line MP Knocked By Dev Aug 29, 2012, 15:50 007Bistromath

InBlack wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 10:58:
One word: Skyrim

nuff said...

No, actually, that is not enough said. What on Earth does Skyrim have to do with this?

News Comments > Dark Shadows - Army of Evil Announced
3. Re: Dark Shadows - Army of Evil Announced Aug 27, 2012, 23:22 007Bistromath

Nah, bro. The only people who disagree with you are devs, for some reason. This has never been done correctly. There isn't a correct way to do it.  

News Comments > Project Copernicus Footage; Details
4. Re: Project Copernicus Footage; Details Aug 22, 2012, 22:26 007Bistromath

I like how the sentence structure of this article suggests that alvador is single-handedly to blame for 38 Studios imploding. Thanks, man.  

News Comments > Prevent Gaming Interruptions
10. Re: Prevent Gaming Interruptions Aug 9, 2012, 10:56 007Bistromath

@ Blue: Somewhat unlikely, but a thought: he could've been sincere. People have been telling PA not to stop advertising, you know. We're a community that appreciates getting "the hook up." Since this is actually useful, they might be thanking you.  

News Comments > Prevent Gaming Interruptions
7. Re: Prevent Gaming Interruptions Aug 9, 2012, 10:49 007Bistromath

"A 30-day trial version is available."

[alucard]And just like that, you've lost me.[/alucard]

With that said...

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 10:18:
Besides that, what can actually interrupt a game?

This has actually been a pretty regular problem for me, and I've been doing this crap for years. Here's the weird thing: sometimes I fix my settings, and this still happens. It seems to have more to do with which game I'm playing than what's trying to interrupt it. Certain games just really seem to want to run and hide, like they're afraid any new windows that pop in are going to beat them up. This would be great if I didn't have to pay for it.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2012, 10:54.

News Comments > Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled
7. Re: Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled Aug 6, 2012, 11:45 007Bistromath

Dades wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 10:27:
It's like they're doing everything possible to make sure no one buys it.
That's exactly the case. It shouldn't have escaped your notice that the one thing everyone wants is the one thing they have repeatedly not made. They don't ever want their millions of fans to buy FFVII again.

Why?

The Honeybee Inn.

The original bridged the gap between having a cult following and being a true hit. Because it was the big reintroduction of the series to America, it didn't have all the Japan filtered out of it. Many of the sidequests (the effeminate protagonist can take a large black man on a date) are things that would make whitebread Americans uncomfortable. The game failed to cause outrage because it's too long for parents to pay attention, sidequests were frequently missed in the age before Gamefaqs, (octagon weapon lol) and the translation was just off enough that kids would see weird things happening and react with "huh?"

None of that would fly now. The gamers ARE the parents. They'll play with their kids, joyfully showing them the best of their generation. Gamefaqs and a million wikis stand ready to ensure that no stone is left unturned this time. And a true remake with old-style translation would just piss everyone off.

Middle America would find the Honeybee Inn in its favorite game, and throw an unholy shitfit.

The other choice is to remove it, thus alienating the hardcore fans that you're nominally making it for. It's lose-lose.

News Comments > Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits
24. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Jul 31, 2012, 22:53 007Bistromath

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 22:42:
The simple fact is you see a lot of negative posts about them specifically because they are the only company that gets praised and loved while doing the same evil shit as other companies that get bashed for it do.

As I highlight in my post just previous, I think the root of this disagreement is that they aren't quite doing the same evil shit. They, like any business of a certain scope, eventually have to take actions that are anti-consumer by their nature. But Valve, much more even than Google which has a similarly irrational-on-both-sides reputation, takes the time to at the very least explain themselves in ways that do not insult our intelligence, and they usually soften the blow by doing something that compromises a little more than other companies who enact similar policies. What I'm getting at is that I'm far from liking everything gaben and his crew do, but they appear to offer something that is very dear the closer you get to a big pile of money: sincerity. When they have to break down and say sorry, they do it, and we can believe it.

News Comments > Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits
21. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Jul 31, 2012, 22:42 007Bistromath

I don't like this decision, however I feel I should point out that their reasoning is solid. It is indeed rare for class action suits to get people what they deserve. Also, their arbitration process, since it has the deep pocket always paying some of the cost, is... about as less bad as it can possibly get. It even gives Valve an incentive the business-owner usually doesn't have to avoid litigation to begin with. I feel like the worst I can say about this is that it's very unfortunate they found it necessary.  

News Comments > More Black Ops 2 Preorder Bonuses
2. Re: More Black Ops 2 Preorder Bonuses Jul 25, 2012, 18:39 007Bistromath

Nuketown 2025, huh?

I'm pretty sure this is the first time a promised preorder bonus has made me not want the product at all.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jul 21, 2012, 16:50 007Bistromath

This writer is a short-sighted douche. An objective look at what the console business model has done to gaming in general makes the appropriate context for this pretty clear.

It's true: console players expect a simpler experience. Console makers have catered to this desire by making an environment that is artificially and unsustainably error-free. The limitations necessary to provide this have bled into parts of the market where they don't belong, pulling devs away from anything capable of advancing the state of the art.

To prop up this slowly and painfully failing approach, Microsoft has chosen to inflate the cost of business, moving the line between "customer" and "partner" to a higher-than-natural class. The message here is quite simple; if you don't put a certain amount on the bottom line for MS, you could work on something that brings thousands of people to their platform, and still be totally expendable and negligible. It's great business sense, so naturally plenty of people will be willing to defend it with sycophantic non-sequitirs like "they deserve to get paid" and "it's their right."

These, however, are the realities of the boardroom, sold to us by the people who work in it so we will continue to accept their terms, no matter how destructive they become. Our hobby is one of countless resources the boardroom can exploit. That's the game they play, and they can play it equally well with hog futures or lawn furniture. When the market for anything reaches a certain level of maturity, it inevitably succumbs to foreign leadership by people who are specifically in the business of exploitation.

The only way to protect our hobby from these people is to support those who put quality of workmanship over powergaming. That ain't Microsoft.

News Comments > BF4 Beta in Fall 2013: MoH Not Required
28. Re: BF4 Beta in Fall 2013: MoH Not Required Jul 18, 2012, 13:27 007Bistromath

You know, I like BF3. It could be better, but I like it.

But for some reason, it feels... really good to just not give a goddamn about BF4. Announcing it so soon after BF3 just makes it feel like the right thing to do.

Besides, those bastards teased 2143 in BF3. I won't forgive them until they cough up the goods. And it better not be some console practically-a-map-pack horseshit like 1943. I want 2142 with the engine problems that held it back unscrewed.

Yeah, I know. DICE doesn't make functional game engines, just good games for their broken ones. Shut up and let me dream.

190 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo