Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for 007Bistromath

Real Name 007Bistromath   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2009, 05:44
Total Comments 185 (Novice)
User ID 54732

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Paypal vs. Skullgirls
14. Re: Paypal vs. Skullgirls Apr 23, 2013, 17:44 007Bistromath

Before Paypal did this, very few people would've considered doing that. I mean, who the fuck would? You know that you bought a vote, not the content.

But this drama has put the idea in peoples' heads that they might be entitled to get their money back. They're going to come running. Paypal fucked this.

Considering how often they succeed when they unilaterally just decide to not give you your money, I'd say they did it on purpose.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Jay Wilson: Auction Houses "Really Hurt" Diablo III
43. Re: Jay Wilson: Auctions Houses Mar 29, 2013, 12:02 007Bistromath

Having an auction house wasn't the problem, it was their implementation. Everything they did with it was geared towards making it an income stream, rather than focusing on solving the problems caused by the black market in Diablo II. A game like this needs trade support, but the dev sticking their fingers in the pie will fuck it up every time.

ETA: I should note that a game like this needs trade support when there's any kind of competitive aspect to it. Torchlight's not my bag, but their solution of dispensing with all pretense of competition and not giving a damn about dupes is an entirely valid one.

News Comments > EA Will "Look Into" Offline SimCity; New Patch Released
2. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 16:28 007Bistromath

This seems like a great opportunity for some enterprising hacker to work out exactly what needs to be done to dike out the online functionality, thus showing how lazy and obstinate EA is almost definitely being by "looking into it."  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops II Patched
1. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops II Patched Feb 24, 2013, 10:56 007Bistromath

I like how the "improvements" to the matchmaking system do nothing to address the fact that the last patch completely beanbagged the matchmaking system, causing matchmaking to totally hose my network connection for no apparent reason.  

News Comments > Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support
47. Re: Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support Feb 5, 2013, 19:14 007Bistromath

cento wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 16:06:
15-25mil is COMPLETELY inline with any kind of AAA console title.
I feel like we really need a good definition of AAA if we're going to swallow that. Psychonauts was excellent, and it was beautiful, and there needs to be more of it... but it did not feel at all like a big-budget game. It vastly outstrips other things that usually have the AAA label applied to them in terms of artistry and fun, but didn't feel like it had nearly the same level of polish. And that's fine. Polish is massively overrated, and hideously overpriced.

Knowing that it will carry the outstanding Double Fine flavor that they practically seem able to convey with two pencils and a ball of string, I'd much rather have a cheap Psychonauts 2 than wait 'til the end of never for a fancy expensive one.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion
20. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 13:58 007Bistromath

Having been poor and around poor people pretty much forever, I can say with certainty that this isn't at all racist. Tiny Tina doesn't talk like a black girl, she talks like a poor girl. The underlying problem is the overlap between those in the real world.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2012, 15:53 007Bistromath

Creston wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 14:30:
Don't think this has been posted yet:

Former Madden Developer loses his shit against EA on Twitter.

Creston
That entire rant can be summarized (and improved by doing so) in one single sentence.

Why doesn't anybody want my bags anymore?

News Comments > Nuketown 2025 II Map Pulled from Black Ops 2 Playlists
17. Re: Nuketown 2025 II Map Pulled from Black Ops 2 Playlists Nov 20, 2012, 03:01 007Bistromath

"Game Design Director" is not a title a messenger has, you disingenuous twat.  

News Comments > No BF3 Color Grading Removal
8. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 23, 2012, 21:55 007Bistromath

Battlefield 3 is the only contemporary conflict themed shooter that has an awful looking washed-out blue filter like a 90's war movie, and this industry can ill-afford the suppression of such cinematic vision. This is the word we have from DICE, and we can trust them when they say it, because they have every bit as much artistic integrity as Bioware.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2012, 22:05.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option
12. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 21, 2012, 01:08 007Bistromath

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 20:06:
This is EA, every "feature" that they add after you purchase a product will be half-assed, unless you pay them extra DLC $$ for it.

Thats been their thing for a long while and I certainly won't defend them for the buggy piles of shit they leave most of their games to be.

And if the feature would effectively disable certain scopes and items in the game from working properly, thats probably good enough reason to leave the option out of the menus and require a console command.

Except this isn't an EA problem. This is DICE's guy being a douchecanoe. This is DICE failing to adhere to its own standards of post-release support. If you like the BF series, you fully expect what you get out of the box to be broken. DICE puts effort into things after they're released, and this iteration of the series hasn't been different in that respect so far. They've ironed out alot of bullshit.

Then there's this, which is a blatant middle finger to anyone that doesn't love their stellar art direction. Fixing the issues with removing this filter would be just as easy as removing the filter itself. But they won't, because screw you, customer.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option
7. Re: Battlefield 3 Adding Color Grading Removal Option Oct 20, 2012, 16:54 007Bistromath

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 16:41:
They added a function to the console to enable it because others were using 3rd party tools to do this, and clearly said before that they were banning the use of that mod because it attained the desired effect in a way that could be similarly used for *actual* exploits to the graphics that could potentially give an unfair edge.

But please go ahead and complain more because they added in a feature that many BF3 players desired & were using 3rd party programs previously to attain.

Is it okay if we bitch that they added it in a half-assed way that clearly shows their contempt?

News Comments > Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer
17. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 22:26 007Bistromath

Best news I've heard all year. Since when does THQ make sound decisions?  

News Comments > Mass Effect Trilogy Announced
7. Re: Mass Effect Trilogy Announced Sep 26, 2012, 22:28 007Bistromath

Make it easier to get Bring Down the Sky, unify the face creator, and include an all-paths save editor, then we'll talk.  

News Comments > Blizzard "Looking At" F2P StarCraft II Multiplayer
34. Re: Blizzard Sep 22, 2012, 19:47 007Bistromath

Krizzen wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 17:54:
So that's what the article is about. It's about Blizzard releasing SC2 multiplayer while respecting the fact you must absolutely have all units.

No, it's about them being complete morons because they can't figure out how to do it. The only idea they talked about having is the wrong one. Meanwhile, I could name five different ways to turn this game into a cash cow in as many minutes. One of them doesn't even require going F2P. I'm pretty sure they already do it. They just have to charge less for each map and make more of them, and they'll sell like hotcakes to freepers.

News Comments > Sleeping Dogs October DLC Details
13. Re: im listening... somewhat Sep 22, 2012, 03:13 007Bistromath

Cutter wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 21:29:
Still looks awful.

Do you have a problem with this type of game, or is it just that you've only looked at console screenshots? A side-by-side isn't necessary to know that this is a port job with some real effort behind it. It's actually got some of the best graphics and smoothest gameplay I've seen in a long time. The graphics are actually better than anything else in the genre.

26. Re: Blizzard Sep 22, 2012, 03:08 007Bistromath

Blackhawk wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 00:53:
A company making money isn't greed. It is their job, and with most companies, it is the law.

That is exactly the problem. Making money is a terrible goal for a company producing arts & entertainment. In other industries, the impact can be variable, but here it is always bad. I'm not talking about morality; pride of workmanship is a necessity for this industry, and the moment you are publicly traded, you're legally barred from having any. Every single thing you do must be calculated to squeeze the most money out of the least effort. It is a slow death sentence.

18. Re: Blizzard Sep 21, 2012, 23:32 007Bistromath

TheEmissary wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 21:24:
As far as people bitching about them worrying about how they would monetize it, what the fuck do you expect? No one would do F2P if they couldn't make money off of it. Even Valve makes boatloads of cash off of their F2P model. If you're expecting developers to just hand you shit with no way for them to make money, you're either stupid or naive. Seriously, your complaints aren't even making sense anymore, just go fuck yourselves.

NO U

They are taking an existing product and screwing it up. I don't play SC2, and wouldn't if they paid me, but I know when something is Fd in the A zone. With successful F2P schemes, a game is either built from the ground up to be playable as an a la carte experience, or the parts you buy are things that don't change the core gameplay. If they wanted to sell maps on a microtransaction basis, that'd be fine. Even small efficiency tweaks would be a sensible way of doing this, because people just go apeshit for advancement mechanics of any kind, and the existing competitive scene could continue to exist at the end of that silly little metagame.

Their best idea, which they admit is stupid, is "give people a broken version of our game."

That's not even how you make a good demo, in the traditional scheme. It makes even less sense in the new model. It is full retard, and even talking about it shows that they're putting zero thought or effort into this.

Having a F2P game that is actually just a portion of your hard drive that says "buy the real thing and this won't suck anymore" is not magnanimous. They sold their game to just about everyone who actually wants it. They got paid. If they want to convert less interested people into sales, this crap is not how to do it.

2. Re: Blizzard "Looking At" F2P StarCraft II Multiplayer<br> Blizzard is "looking at free to play as a Sep 21, 2012, 20:42 007Bistromath

"We don't know how we would monetize it."

what in the hell people

Don't fucking monetize it. Releasing one side or the other of a game with two halves is called a goddamn demo. You don't fucking charge for that! It's advertising!

Aside from that, you could, oh, i don't know give them fewer maps, maybe? What the hell is wrong with you that you think you have to come up with some new stupid thing to solve this non-problem?

FUCK

News Comments > Steam EU Legal Conflict
27. Re: Steam EU Legal Conflict Sep 21, 2012, 19:06 007Bistromath

You know, this could actually be a good thing. Steam already has the road paved for reselling with its inventory system. They just haven't used it for that because other publishers and devs will scream bloody murder if Steam allows the return of that evil demon secondary market. If somebody forces their hand, they'll figure out a good system for this; if anyone can do it, it's gaben. Many companies will jump ship, possibly going as far as to yank their titles and cause some kind of... refund cascade failure. But Valve will easily survive it and become better for it, and fuck anybody that reacts in that fashion in any case.

Interesting times.

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Beta Begins
1. Re: Steam Big Picture Beta Begins Sep 10, 2012, 20:46 007Bistromath

I am posting this using the daisy wheel. Feels good, man. Exciting new developments in lazy fatassery happening as we speak.

Really hope they develop this text entry model further.

185 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo