Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for 007Bistromath

Real Name 007Bistromath   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2009, 05:44
Total Comments 185 (Novice)
User ID 54732

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Titanfall Cheaters Must Play With Themselves
53. Re: Titanfall Cheaters Must Play With Themselves Mar 28, 2014, 05:27 007Bistromath

Creston wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 12:01:
People disagree with you, so then it's back to the old "Well, you guys are just too dumb to understand/have no perspective" mantra?

My main opponent has no idea what "disseminate" means. I feel completely justified in my assessment.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Titanfall Cheaters Must Play With Themselves Mar 27, 2014, 10:51 007Bistromath

Well, now I feel kind of silly. What on earth made me think blues posters would have anything approaching a sense of perspective?

Seriously, if you can't understand why some people would want to make bots, and comepete against others who also have bots, you're one massively uncreative dude.

"Defending cheaters?" Are you fucking joking?

News Comments > $100 Wolfenstein: The New Order CE Has Statue, No Game
17. Re: $100 Wolfenstein: The New Order CE Has Statue, No Game Mar 27, 2014, 05:21 007Bistromath

Task wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 23:39:
All these super collector editions with toys. Are they marketing these games for kids?

If "toy" means "marketed to children," I think I understand why some states require dildos to be sold as "back massagers."

34. Re: Titanfall Cheaters Must Play With Themselves Mar 27, 2014, 05:12 007Bistromath

InBlack wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 04:12:
I was going to ask the same thing. I dont think cheaters should be allowed to play the game in any fashion. This is cutting them some serious slack. Also while this sounds fun on paper, I have trouble believing that this system is 100% fullproof. There will be a lot of false positives and regular people will get stuck in these cheat servers.

The only reason you, as a guy who does not stand to make money off the decision, could have for wanting cheaters to lose the game they paid for is spite, which you should grow out of.

Banishing cheaters to their own league is a very pro-userbase decision. If the assholes buy another account, that just means they're back in gen pop again. There are plenty of dickfaces rich enough to do this over and over again as many times as they're caught, and far more who are willing to do it once or twice. By allowing them to keep on doing what they're doing without bothering the rest of us, we're much less likely to ever see them again.

They aren't all trolls, after all. Some of them simply can't handle not winning. Now those types can rest easy in the knowledge that when they lose, it's not their fault; everyone else they play with really is cheating, just like they always claimed was the case. Others are honestly curious about experimenting to make better bots, and have wanted a game to do this to them since forever.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam
14. Re: Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam Mar 22, 2014, 18:37 007Bistromath

Sepharo wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 17:39:
We've probably covered this situation before but... will I still be able to download, install, and play the copy I purchased on Steam?
I never got around to it. Realistically I probably never will but that doesn't mean I won't feel ripped off if I've lost access.

Yes, but my understanding is that it won't work at all, which is why they stopped selling it.

Word on the street is that Steam copies use an outdated, broken GFWL client. Won't talk to the servers at all. For some reason, it was easier to do this than update it; I guess that's why they're considering this confirmation that they're tearing GFWL down?

The good news is you can still play it without buying it again, just not on Steam. For whatever reason Origin copies work. If you get the CD key associated with your Steam copy and redeem it in Origin, it should work fine. I haven't tested the Origin version personally as I'm currently low on HD space, but several users on the Steam forum report this as a serviceable workaround, provided that you're willing to put up with Origin.

News Comments > Titanfall Optimization Tips
47. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 17, 2014, 02:34 007Bistromath

shihonage wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 17:38:
007Bistromath wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 09:33:
Titanfall is a game that introduces multiple paths to victory to team deathmatch. That you somehow hadn't noticed that proves that what Trevellian said is correct, and everything you type about Titanfall is a waste of keystrokes.

I didn't mean multiple paths LITERALLY you simpleton.

Neither did I, you dullard.

In a game of Attrition, you advance your team's score by killing anything, and there are several meaningfully different ways to accomplish that goal. You can charge into the hot zones for standard run & gun, or you can stay on the periphery to farm creeps and attempt to avoid other players until your Titan comes in. Once it's in, you can jump in it to go after other Titans, or use it as a huge, noisy, dangerous decoy while you sneak around ganking pilots trying to deal with it. It is a form of TDM, goddamn TDM, of all things, that has a variety of valid tactics which a player can choose from and switch between on the fly. Of course it doesn't have deep teamplay the way a game with actual classes and objectives does, but it represents a genuinely innovative and fun evolution to shooters in the twitch paradigm. It's something I'd really like to see the industry as a whole appropriate for more nuanced purposes, and it deserves to be recognized as more than a COD clone. This isn't deep, but it's far from brainless. It made this style of shooter fun again for me, and that's a massive achievement.

News Comments > Titanfall Optimization Tips
34. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 09:33 007Bistromath

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 03:21:
Smart pistol is bullshit. Period. You can defend it all you like, but we all know it's bullshit.

You are wrong. It is quite difficult to use against enemy pilots unless they are oblivious. You have to be pretty damn sneaky to use it for anything other than creep farming. It's basically what this game has instead of witchblading, and it's much more fair than that ever was.

shihonage wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 07:50:
My point was that I miss games which weren't made for idiots (COD/Titanfall), and weren't simplistic, sloppy-coded garbage(Tribes:Ascend). They had multiple paths to victory, which suffocated hackers even with working aimbots.

Titanfall is a game that introduces multiple paths to victory to team deathmatch. That you somehow hadn't noticed that proves that what Trevellian said is correct, and everything you type about Titanfall is a waste of keystrokes.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2014, 09:44.

News Comments > Titanfall PC Connection Issues Fixed
10. Re: Titanfall PC Connection Issues Fixed Mar 12, 2014, 18:01 007Bistromath

Creston wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 15:41:
At least they fixed it quickly, but this is just the international customers, right? When does the US version go live again?

...huh? It's already live. As far as I know, it's never not been live. Had a couple hiccups that I fixed by just trying again.

The worst I can say about this launch is I've occassionally hit some rubber banding, which never happened in the beta. Changing scale always introduces a few issues. This is probably one of the least troublesome launches I can remember.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released Mar 11, 2014, 10:30 007Bistromath

InBlack wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 09:53:
So yeah, Im interested in this but Ill wait for the price to drop and or see how long it takes them to actually admit that 'support' for this game will be in the form of a fully priced sequel to be released 12-18 months from now....

That was always the plan from the beginning. Titanfall is supposed to be the franchise that gets released every other year between Call of Duty releases, since Medal of Honor got shitcanned.

You really don't need to wait, though. They've pulled off a miracle here; the launch is basically flawless. If they didn't support this one any further at all, it would still be one of the most solid play experiences I've had in several years.

Since EA is publishing it, I'm sure this IP is going to turn into a complete shitfest at some point. But right now? It's perfect. It's one of the best FPS I've ever played. It delivers on the promises Brink made.

I uninstalled BF4 to fit this on my hard drive. I need to put that in the proper context: I've been a huge Battlefield fan since 2142, always thought it was the best thing on the market, no question. Through Bad Company and BF3, I thought it was still there, though starting to slip. BF4 is... a massive disappointment, but still one of the better multiplayer FPS you can get.

I uninstalled it for Titanfall. This game is awesome. Buy it now before they fuck it up.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2014, 10:40.

News Comments > Funcom Financials Fall
8. Re: Funcom Financials Fall Mar 6, 2014, 00:11 007Bistromath

woah woah woah

woah

hold the phone

You're telling me that a company made a faux-freemium MMO, and it resulted in an initial period of massive growth as people jumped on, followed by a stable plateau of lower earnings?

MIND BLOWN

News Comments > Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims
77. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 21:26 007Bistromath

jdreyer wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 20:51:
Redmask wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 19:31:
They also ripped the 'other team won but you can escape so you dont feel bad about losing maybe!' shit straight from BF2142. In fact this whole game is pretty much a miasma of derivative nerdisms.

Which is fine with me, IF it's good.

Unfortunately, they said they'd do an open PC beta, but they never did.

Yes they did. I played it. I saw the posts here about how it wasn't going open, and I figured that must be due to the website being mostly broken at the time. I read those posts in between rounds of the open PC beta.

You didn't need a key or anything, just like SpectralMeat said. It just showed up in my Origin menu one day. I'm sincerely sorry you missed it, it kicked ass.

35. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 13:45 007Bistromath

descender wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 12:56:
Giving everyone cloak and a homing pistol is just about the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a multiplayer FPS.

You did something horribly wrong, dude. The cloak and smart pistol are both garbage against other pilots.

It says right in the cloak's description that it's still plenty visible to the naked eye, and it's not lying. That thing is for getting away from and/or on top of Titans. Only depressingly unobservant players will miss somebody near them who is cloaked.

The smart pistol, meanwhile, is almost strictly for farming mooks. It takes about ten years to line up a lethal attack on a pilot. You only have time to do that if the other guy is unaware of you, a terrible shot, or standing still. To use the smart pistol against other players, you either have to be sneaky as hell and very good with the parkour, or in a server full of morons.

20. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 10:56 007Bistromath

ldonyo wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 09:15:
I was frustrated by having control of my avatar taken from me so I could watch for 45 - 60 seconds as someone else killed me.

What on earth are you talking about? Nothing in Titanfall does that. The only thing I can think of that takes control from you at all is getting ripped out of a doomed Titan, and that takes about five seconds, at most.

Glykon wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 08:52:
Hmm I dont believe EA will NOT pay sites for good reviews
Anyhow please DONT pay for 4v4 generic console shooters on PC !

Leaving aside that it's 6v6, Titanfall is the opposite of "generic console shooter" in nearly every way except for the persistent progression mechanics. The "bots" that people have made so much fun of serve a purpose completely different from substitute players. They give players genuinely productive, rewarding, and engaging things to do when not in direct combat with real opponents. This, along with players' high mobility, allows a "6v6" game to be fast-paced and well-balanced regardless of the size of the map. In fact, paying attention to this mechanic is key to success for both you and your team; it is comparable to "jungling" in a MOBA.

The Titans also serve an important function with respect to breaking the usual patterns of generic FPS: camping is almost non-existent, requires effective teamwork when it does happen, and never dominates a match regardless of how finely honed somebody's pointing skills are. This is something I've long thought basically insoluble. No matter how frantic and arcadey shooters got, there was always a significant number of people good enough at sniping to make certain maps boring for everybody else. Even games like Battlefield haven't completely fixed this, despite having significant threats on the field that simply can't be dealt with that way. Somehow, Titans manage what tanks haven't. You can snipe in Titanfall, but you can't camp.

13. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 10:02 007Bistromath

I have not been paid to say that Titanfall is the best FPS that has ever been made, but based on my experiences with the beta, I am doing so. It is one of a few AAA games I can remember where the price tag doesn't piss me off. They deserve every cent. They have done something genuinely new and interesting with this genre, which is something that can be said about almost none of the rest of it for the past several years.

Verno wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 09:45:
I don't know, Titanfall didn't feel like a mech game to me. Maybe mech-lite. No deformation, really poor destruction decals, battles between them felt cartoony and fleeting. It was ok but I didn't really get all of the hoopla about that game. I had more fun ground pounding with wallrunning and double jumps.

It's not a mech game. I don't feel it's at all intended to be one, and people who call it one or expect it to be one are missing the point. The "hoopla" is that it's an FPS with a beautifully innovative reward system. The most common, interesting, powerful, and fun reward is that you can use a heavily armed giant robot, something which is definitely distinct from a mech because it doesn't turn like a pig or require a minimum of seventeen buttons to effectively operate.

Though you can probably guess I'm terrible at them, I like the idea of sims, but Titanfall is for when you're in a completely different mood. It's something that looks at Unreal or Call of Duty and says "wait, you didn't finish this idea. Let me fix that." Between the traversal system and what I understand the campaign mode is going to be, it's also going to pretty much be what Brink would've been if it ever worked properly. That is why people are excited about it. The big robots are an excellent game mechanic and an expression of the dev's design ethos, not the central focus of the game.

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2014, 10:12.

News Comments > Al Lowe Leaves Replay: Sex Actually Involved
15. Re: Al Lowe Leaves Replay: Sex Actually Involved Dec 12, 2013, 23:37 007Bistromath

Creston wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 23:17:

Not if you are over 18. As long as it involves a minor, you have to be within two years of their age, or it becomes felony 'sex with a minor'. The age of consent is merely the age at which the 'sex with a minor' charge doesn't automatically become statutory rape. (as in, the kind of thing they lock you up for 20+ years for.)

In Holland, the age of consent is 16... weeks... and it's pretty much a free-for-all after that. Get them high, get them drunk, gangrape them, Holland don't care. Great place...

I have never seen somebody be so stridently and impressively wrong. Bravo.

News Comments > Stratego Games Planned
2. Re: Stratego Games Planned Dec 4, 2013, 16:16 007Bistromath

This is a sad day for boardgames. Thousands will be exposed to one of the most aggressively boring strategy games ever made, and turned off the hobby forever. Stratego could do what Monopoly failed to. Why are all the good games only on iOS and crappy websites?  

News Comments > Endwar Online Announced
13. Re: Endwar Online Announced Sep 11, 2013, 17:26 007Bistromath

The players seem to control what would normally be called creeps. There don't seem to be any heroes.

Therefore, this isn't a MOBA. It's just a massively dumbed-down RTS. Considering how simplified the original EndWar was (despite being fun, mind you) I don't see how this will be worth even watching another video of.

Who the hell decided this was a good idea?

News Comments > Steve Ballmer to Retire
38. Re: Steve Ballmer to Retire Aug 23, 2013, 17:10 007Bistromath

When I read this story on slashdot, me and my roommate went to the store and bought cookie dough and then baked and ate a batch of Steve Ballmer Is Retiring cookies.

True story.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Trailer
8. Re: Battlefield 4 Trailer Aug 23, 2013, 01:20 007Bistromath

This is neat and all, but I like how this guy "took responsibility" for the name, basically acknowledging it as a terrorist attack on our beloved language.  

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha
48. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 06:04 007Bistromath

These guys are doing it exactly right. More right than anyone else releasing in Steam's early access program, in fact.

When you release an unfinished product, people will inevitably judge the project as a whole by whatever they see right then, and will not look at it ever again if their opinion is negative. Which it will be, because it's not finished.

If you are crowdfunding your development, you need to restrict access to the part of your audience that is very committed to the idea of the product as they and you hope it will be when it is finished. If you don't, you get far more bad press than you ever would by asking a high price, because now a large portion of the people who would've bought your game at final release already have it and are complaining everywhere like a bunch of complete morons that they paid full normal price for a quarter-finished game.

tl; dr: A dev releasing an alpha does not want you to buy it unless you are so excited about the concept they're working on that you would definitely buy it when it's finished even if you knew it could be better. You have to want it that much, or else they are taking a stupid risk by selling it to you.

185 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo