Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for 007Bistromath

Real Name 007Bistromath   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2009, 05:44
Total Comments 190 (Novice)
User ID 54732

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Hatred Announced
21. Re: Hatred Announced Oct 17, 2014, 00:48 007Bistromath

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 00:20:
This is what GamerGate breeds.

I'm not sure how you mean that.

If you think this is, at least in part, a depressingly misguided reaction to the politico hipsters trying to take over indie game development by marginalizing a sector of the market that would prevent them from joining the big leagues, yeah, kinda.

If you think this is something we want because we're all a bunch of screwed up children who think "redeeming qualities" are unnecessary and unwanted in our entertainment products, screw you. I'm not buying this shit, and neither is most of #GG, I'd wager.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hatred Announced
15. Re: Hatred Announced Oct 16, 2014, 23:04 007Bistromath

These guys are either class A morons or lying assholes working for the other side.

Games don't have to be high art. There is a trend towards greater emotional depth, but plenty of people are still making games that are just fun, including violent ones. This is not "just fun." It is intentionally transgressive in a way that is only proper when what you're making is high art. Anti-art falls within that, but I'd say they're doing even that wrong. Anti-art is about recognizing that art has potential which contemporary artists are not exercising.

This is them literally doing everything Jack Thompson wrongly accused videogames of doing, without any of the self-awareness of Postal, which did it first and better. (but still not very well) It's trash, and labelling it a "propaganda tool" is incredibly appropriate, as it is one; for their side.

Anyone who buys this deserves whatever misfortune befalls them.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p
12. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p Oct 9, 2014, 19:49 007Bistromath

Redmask wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 18:52:
SimplyMonk wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 18:37:
The combat was enjoyable at higher levels. Outside of that, the game really didn't have anything going for it. As forgettable to me as FF9 was.

Really don't understand the need to make 13-2 and LR... Lightning wasn't even that interesting of a character and the world was "meh". Even after reading all the wiki entries on its back story.

Although I will say I've "heard" that 13-2 gets better, if not wackier, but haven't bothered to try myself despite owning it from a sale.

The need was money. They spent like 6 years making art, their company has an insane structure and a culture where the artists rule the roost. They could stand to lose half of their creative staff. They didn't even break even until the third game. Typical Japanese dev house, too fucking stubborn to change until they get themselves into deep financial shit.

No, the need was that the guy in charge literally loves Lightning more than his wife. I am not making this up, he's made public statements about this. She threatened divorce when he wanted her to dress up as Lightning. He's a fucking creeper and it's screwing up our games.

News Comments > DICE: BF4 Launch "Absolutely" Damaged Player Trust
8. Re: DICE: BF4 Launch "Absolutely" Damaged Player Trust Oct 8, 2014, 10:04 007Bistromath

Here's a better idea, DICE: don't be a slave to launch culture. Your games have always been broken, and they were still always successful. This is because until recently, you could be trusted to mostly fix them in a timely fashion without relying on paid DLC to prop up the effort. You make EA enough money that if you could just get them to look at the long tail for one goddamn dev cycle, they probably couldn't force you to be as shitty as you are now. Nut up and send a real negotiator to the boardroom and be the dev we know you can be.

PS: MAKE 2143 YOU STUPID ASSHOLES

News Comments > PopCap Founder Pops Out
5. Re: PopCap Founder Pops Out Sep 6, 2014, 14:17 007Bistromath

Huh. I had no idea the founder of PopCap was a lunatic. I guess that explains Peggle.  

News Comments > Casey Hudson Departs BioWare
23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2014, 06:19 007Bistromath

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 05:50:
saluk wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 02:20:
Mistakes as bad as ME3 are on everyone. Nice to have a scapegoat I guess.
Correction: Mistakes are only on everyone, when everyone agrees to it. When the lead designer says: "this is good, we'll go with it." The mistake is clearly on them, and only them. That's the whole point behind a lead designer, to sort out the crap and make the best choices, not the expedient ones.
It wasn't even that. The other writers were literally not allowed to have any input on the ending. Casey Hudson and that other douchebag wrote that bullshit in secret all by themselves. The dude's not a scapegoat, he is literally to blame for how fucked all that was.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Delayed to 2015
2. Re: Battlefield Hardline Delayed to 2015 Jul 22, 2014, 17:28 007Bistromath

God forbid they ever put a real Battlefield game back in the oven.

PS: MAKE 2143 YOU STUPID ASSHOLES

News Comments > Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel
46. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 22, 2014, 00:12 007Bistromath

Quboid wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 20:37:
This isn't The Stanley Parable.

One of the most important lines in the game, one that comes through so crystal clear, and which is repeated more than once, a line which it could easily be argued is addressed to the player just as much as it is to the character: "all you had to do was stop."

The Stanley Parable is EXACTLY what this is.

30. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 16:21 007Bistromath

Comparing The Line to RPGs and talking about how it didn't give you enough choice is still hugely missing the point. Well made RPGs are about the player expressing their moral values through an avatar. Your character is you, or at least a story you want to tell.

You are unequivocally not supposed to identify with the protagonist in The Line. You're seeing his story through his eyes, because the devs believed they could find new and interesting ways for you to understand him in an interactive medium, but he's not you. He's not even himself anymore. The Heart of Darkness, Apocalypse Now, Spec Ops: The Line, they're all about being so consumed by permanent desperation that you're unable to see all of the choices available. War is a place where humanity goes to die, and robotic monsters come out the other end. Giving the player the option to be better than that completely removes the real message of the work. You can be better because none of this is real to you. You, in your chair in front of your computer, can think clearly about what the protagonist is doing. He lost that ability long ago.

23. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 14:32 007Bistromath

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 14:06:
I "got" the phosphorous scene; what I didn't like was how the developers kept going out of their way to point out how rotten your character was. They could have been more subtle.

That's not exactly what they were doing. There's much about it which could give that impression, especially the progressively more screwed up loading screen messages. But there was also one of those that made it very clear what was actually going on: "you are still a good person." Every element of the game attempts, in some way, to represent the massive internal conflict which the protagonist is slowly losing. It's not telling you he's a bad person, it's telling you that he is unsure whether his actions are justified or not, and showing the effect one he finally realizes they definitely aren't; "I am the villain" is not a statement that fits in a same mind.

20. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 13:36 007Bistromath

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 11:39:
"The game won't continue until you kill all those civilians!"

(Kills civilians)

"You're a bad, bad man for killing those civilians! Don't you feel ashamed?"

If you're talking about entering that one town where they're about to start rioting, you can actually scare them away. Alot of people miss that.

If you're talking about the shelling, you're really missing the point of that scene, and of the game in general. Finding out you didn't actually need to do it demonstrates the immense gravity of war: a simple, honest mistake can make a good soldier hard to distinguish from a savage criminal. More importantly, even if one's actions are, based on the information available at the time, completely justifiable, the mind-destroying guilt will still be there. The statement made by the main character's gradual slide from screw-up to psycho is a great deal more nuanced than "you suck for finishing this level."

10. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 11:21 007Bistromath

ItBurn wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 11:08:
Games are supposed to be fun.

Oh look, I was exactly right about you.

No, they are not "supposed to be fun." They are an artistic medium like any other. Many books, movies, and other media often are fun, but if they always had to be, they would be woefully incomplete tools for the expression of nuanced ideas.

Games' obsession with fun is a poison that stunts the industry's growth. It prevents huge slices of the human experience from being competently told. The developers of The Line choose to break with that, doing nothing new to the shooter formula because to actually understand the protagonist's perspective, the slaughter of hundreds of faceless enemies should FEEL like a grind.

Fun is important. It's a good reason to buy things. If you think EVERYTHING should have it, grow up.

9. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 11:08 007Bistromath

ItBurn wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 11:05:
I know some people loved this game, and I don't usually question tastes, but people who like this game are WRONG :p

Translation: I only like games that prove Roger Ebert right. If I'm not having fun, my time is being wasted. I learned everything I'm interested in knowing before I was twelve.

6. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 11:03 007Bistromath

Creston wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 10:36:
terribly overhyped story that was nowhere near as interesting as (some)people made it out to be

Yeah, there's just so many military shooters out there that use a mind-bogglingly unreliable narrator to explore the loss of sanity inherent in following violence as a career path.

People like you are why it's taken so long for AAAs to grow up, and why most of them are still schlock even after the fact. It's the reason real literary meat is usually relegated to pretentious indie junk with awful graphics. Play The Line again and pay attention this time. This isn't a matter of taste; you aren't giving it due credit, and that's offensive.

The gameplay was uninteresting because it was unimportant. It was medium, not message. People who complain about it and mention the plot as an afterthought are dense.

2. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 09:21 007Bistromath

The Line was excellent. I'd say it's probably the most important military shooter ever made, and one of only a handful with real artistic merit beyond its entertainment value.

It doesn't need a sequel, though. Would you make a sequel to Apocalypse Now? The Line is the same thing in a different medium. It says literally everything that needs to be said in military shooters. That it could be made and sold is proof that the genre is completely mined out in terms of serious treatment of its themes. That's not to say more shouldn't be made, only that they can't really say anything new, they'll be just for fun and to show off new tech.

When you look at how war/action movies went after Apocalypse Now, you should see what I'm talking about. They only started really being artistically interesting again once some auteurs had the guts to show a part of warfare that wasn't thought of as particularly cinematic: the tedious disorganization shown in Generation Kill and Jarhead. And video games already have that. Just play on a public server for any given multiplayer shooter, and more than half the time, there you are.

News Comments > Grim Fandango HD Remake Coming to PCs
5. Re: Grim Fandango HD Remake Coming to PCs Jul 9, 2014, 19:43 007Bistromath

There is a god.

*sheds a single tear*

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing
16. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing Jul 8, 2014, 19:34 007Bistromath

I will never understand why Blizzard, or indeed the industry in general, has a problem with this. In MMOs I kinda sorta almost get it... player interaction and PvP are more important, so you need a level playing field, fine. In Diablo, though... who takes competition in that seriously? I mean yeah, I know there's a ladder, so there must be some people who do. I like to call those people "crazy idiots." The entire concept of the game makes the whole idea of competition a giant wank. "Who can win the most at this slot machine?" Ridiculous.

But... seriously, guys. Make an ARPG where programming character behavior is part of the game once you've reached a certain level. Now you've got something new and interesting: everyone can use multiple characters with some effectiveness, and the test of skill in both PvE and PvP becomes more about planning and adapting than clicking and network stability. With enough scale, you'd ultimately be approaching an innovative new form of RTS, one with massive unit customization, and units that aren't dumb as rocks so long as you know how they should behave.

I've always felt that FPSs are the only games that should always ask you "how good are you at pointing at things?" ARPGs and RTSs should be more about thinking, but almost universally, especially in the latter, there's an arcade fighter-esque barrier to entry presented by the necessity for input precision and quick reaction. Before you're good enough at that, you can't learn much about the tools you have, and therefore can't touch the tactical richness buried under it. ARPGs have much less of this problem, I can certainly play them well enough. But there's no reason that every game in the genre should be like this at all.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2014, 19:48.

News Comments > CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak
13. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 8, 2014, 19:16 007Bistromath

So, when do you guys think the fake CG trailer showing "gameplay" will come out?  

News Comments > DICE on Bad Company 3: "Wait and See"
29. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 18:25 007Bistromath

MAKE 2143 YOU STUPID ASSHOLES  

News Comments > SCS Software Dev vs Valve
4. Re: SCS Software Dev vs Valve Jun 16, 2014, 12:42 007Bistromath

Ubi wouldn't pull this shit. Large companies know they run the risk of getting sued for fat sacks of cash money if they even minutely or accidentally fuck with another business, even if nobody actually cares, just because the deep pockets are there to be raided. Personality is something you can only afford to have if you're poor and unemployed.  

190 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo