Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for 007Bistromath

Real Name 007Bistromath   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2009, 05:44
Total Comments 205 (Novice)
User ID 54732

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Hacknet
5. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Hacknet Aug 15, 2015, 19:14 007Bistromath

As somebody who will literally buy anything Introversion makes because of how amazing Uplink and Darwinia were: you are talking nonsense if you think Hacknet has any less soul.

Hacknet, despite some bugs,* is better than Uplink in many categories. It's not as long, and the procedural mission generation isn't as beefy, but it's miles ahead in terms of storytelling. The hacking also feels more consistently tense, whereas Uplink has a great deal of nearly zero-risk farming, albeit punctuated by some of the most frantic moments in gaming. The music is godlike, and there are multiple one-off side missions which, despite having nothing to do with the main quest, feature impactful bespoke art assets that show a great deal of care went into this game's production.

Hacknet, while flawed, is a masterpiece that deserves to sit next to Uplink, and perhaps even above it. Hacking sims as a genre need to be more like this, embracing and extending the general flow of play Orann has created with deeper and more varied mechanics.

*The dev is one guy, and he is as on top of it as one guy can be. He maintains regular contact with the users via the Steam forum, and has already released two patches.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blizzard Diablo Job Posting
44. Re: Blizzard Diablo Job Posting Aug 12, 2015, 01:39 007Bistromath

THANK YOU. Torchlight is such garbage. I only have it because I lost my Diablo II disc years ago. Every time I play it, it just makes me want to play Diablo even more until I finally have the sense to uninstall it. It's amazing how it could manage to do so much right and then just dump all that effort in the trash because they fundamentally don't understand what is good about this kind of game. The characters suck. I don't care where I put any of my points.

I feel like Torchlight and Torchlight 2 are fundamentally what happens when people put too much focus on modding. Regardless of what people who played the game to death might say, modding was not what made Diablo and Diablo II strong. It got to that point for you because you played it so much to begin with that you mined it out completely.

Making a good character in Diablo II was kind of like writing poetry. You were trying to express a certain style of play within very strict constraints that made doing so an interesting problem. In that context, modding is writing free verse. In other words, if you actually know what you're doing, it's legit, but if you start doing it from the first day you pick up a pen, you're just a moron who didn't learn proper English.

And that's Torchlight. They put nothing into the play mechanics of the base game, and basically expected the users to make the real game for them. Torchlight is all about the workshop, and I've never had the slightest scrap of interest in engaging with it. It has no effort and no soul.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 2015, 01:50.

42. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Aug 12, 2015, 00:48 007Bistromath

Well, there's Torchlight, if you're the kind of disgusting idiot that likes Pepsi better than Coke.  

40. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Aug 11, 2015, 19:11 007Bistromath

AngelicPenguin wrote on Aug 11, 2015, 12:21:
Sorry it doesn't fit your definition of Diablo, but there are lots of other ARPGs out there for you.

No, there aren't.

Nothing before Diablo II or since has offered the pure joy I felt in being a lichlord with an army of skeletons. That's not rose-tinted anything, as hardly anyone has even tried. In most ARPGs that came after Diablo II, it was considered a big deal if you could have as many as five mooks following you around. In Diablo II I had thirty. I have very little interest in paying for a game that relies on the efforts of Some Guy who didn't get paid to deliver the experience I'm looking for.

For all that it lacks some quality of life innovations that new ARPGs have, from the perspective of a minion master, Diablo II was the apotheosis of this genre, and I desperately want that feeling back.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2015, 19:21.

15. Re: Blizzard Diablo Job Posting Aug 10, 2015, 23:49 007Bistromath

Please, please GOD, tell me this is a remake! I want this so bad! I haven't even bought Diablo III yet, and probably won't unless there is a remake of the first two. If they remake the first two games, I will buy two copies of all three games, because I have a friend who's a huge graphics whore and won't play the old ones and is therefore not interested in the series at all.  

News Comments > New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast
1. Re: New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast Jul 26, 2015, 13:31 007Bistromath

So, in other words, they have their priorities properly in order. Modders are almost always better at this than devs anyway, and spending the money on mod tools instead of co-op ensures that they accomplish what id's goal always is: making the engine relevant.  

News Comments > The Technomancer Next Year
6. Re: The Technomancer Next Year Jul 25, 2015, 09:37 007Bistromath

"post-apocalyptic" "cyberpunk"

No. You can't have both.

"innate talent" "amplified by their cybernetic implants"

No. Holy shit, that's even worse. Understanding of technology isn't magical kung-fu. It is a skill, 100% learned, and implants wouldn't help with that unless they give you the knowledge.

God, this does everything I care about wrong in the second sentence of the pitch. Such sloppy-ass writing, clearly just flavor-based pandering. Fuck off.

News Comments > What The Flock? Multiplayer Game Will End When Enough Players Die
21. Re: What The Flock? Multiplayer Game Will End When Enough Players Die Jul 17, 2015, 08:17 007Bistromath

You got it backwards. When I said "day zero," I meant the end of the game. If, for any of the million different reasons that real life tends to dump on people, you aren't there when the apocalypse hits, you have basically missed the entire goddamn point of buying the game, and you can't get it back.

You bring up another problem with this game, though. The more successful it is, the more vibrant its community is, the more people buy and love it, the shorter it will be. In fact, its length will decrease exponentially with respect to its playerbase. It doesn't matter if the Flock starts out in the tens of billions, it is an absolute guarantee that the devs will not correctly anticipate how many they need to keep the playerbase from chewing through it in a month if the game gets any kind of traction in the market. I don't know if you've noticed, but this hobby tends to attract some obsessive personalities.

The only way this gameplay concept is acceptable is if there are seasons, i.e., the whole thing resets after it blows up. If it's really one and done, they are wasting the time and money of anybody who is unlucky enough to have a real life.

News Comments > What The Flock? Multiplayer Game Will End When Enough Players Die
15. Re: What The Flock? Multiplayer Game Will End When Enough Players Die Jul 17, 2015, 05:37 007Bistromath

What a cool idea to make a game where if your internet craps itself on day zero you completely wasted your fucking money  

News Comments > Battlefield 2143 Images?
1. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 28, 2015, 14:37 007Bistromath

The answer is "no." They would've announced it at E3. They just want us to believe they're working on 2143 because everytime they do this dicktease, they get a quarter's worth of free hype.  

News Comments > Broken Age Act 2 Next Month
8. Re: Broken Age Act 2 Next Month Mar 25, 2015, 14:55 007Bistromath

Oh, okay.

So you're going to forgive the Molyneuxian over-promising, the disingenuous e-begging, the abandoned projects, and the fact that he got up on stage and said "fuck you" to hundreds of people that gave him money to do all that shit because of what amounts to a petty internet bitchfit between people who like games and people who like to make money writing about games?

5. Re: Broken Age Act 2 Next Month Mar 25, 2015, 14:33 007Bistromath

Only his whole masturbatory joke of a career, culminating in him blatantly giving the finger to people who funded his bullshit over the past few months.  

1. Re: Broken Age Act 2 Next Month Mar 25, 2015, 14:15 007Bistromath

Neato.

Unfortunately, I don't even want to finish it anymore. Mr. Shitface was an asshole one too many times.

For reference, I'll gladly pay Fez. Phil Fish never pretended he was anything other than a complete prick. Schafer, on the other hand, is such a hypocritical disappointment that he managed to dirty his work, something I previously believed impossible.

News Comments > King's Quest Trailer
3. Re: King's Quest Trailer Dec 7, 2014, 03:57 007Bistromath

Any chance of it having even half-decent writing this time? Don't get me wrong, I know KQ was important to the development of the medium, but by today's standards, Roberta Williams is kind of a hack.  

News Comments > I am Bread Early Access
9. Re: I am Bread Early Access Dec 4, 2014, 07:27 007Bistromath

Cutter wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 19:12:
The goat thing was funny, but now the shark has been jumped with this stuff, ok.

Judging from the video, this one actually has some kind of narrative. Made me think Stanley Parable and Octodad, which are pretty good company.

News Comments > Hatred Announced
21. Re: Hatred Announced Oct 17, 2014, 00:48 007Bistromath

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 00:20:
This is what GamerGate breeds.

I'm not sure how you mean that.

If you think this is, at least in part, a depressingly misguided reaction to the politico hipsters trying to take over indie game development by marginalizing a sector of the market that would prevent them from joining the big leagues, yeah, kinda.

If you think this is something we want because we're all a bunch of screwed up children who think "redeeming qualities" are unnecessary and unwanted in our entertainment products, screw you. I'm not buying this shit, and neither is most of #GG, I'd wager.

News Comments > Hatred Announced
15. Re: Hatred Announced Oct 16, 2014, 23:04 007Bistromath

These guys are either class A morons or lying assholes working for the other side.

Games don't have to be high art. There is a trend towards greater emotional depth, but plenty of people are still making games that are just fun, including violent ones. This is not "just fun." It is intentionally transgressive in a way that is only proper when what you're making is high art. Anti-art falls within that, but I'd say they're doing even that wrong. Anti-art is about recognizing that art has potential which contemporary artists are not exercising.

This is them literally doing everything Jack Thompson wrongly accused videogames of doing, without any of the self-awareness of Postal, which did it first and better. (but still not very well) It's trash, and labelling it a "propaganda tool" is incredibly appropriate, as it is one; for their side.

Anyone who buys this deserves whatever misfortune befalls them.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p
12. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p Oct 9, 2014, 19:49 007Bistromath

Redmask wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 18:52:
SimplyMonk wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 18:37:
The combat was enjoyable at higher levels. Outside of that, the game really didn't have anything going for it. As forgettable to me as FF9 was.

Really don't understand the need to make 13-2 and LR... Lightning wasn't even that interesting of a character and the world was "meh". Even after reading all the wiki entries on its back story.

Although I will say I've "heard" that 13-2 gets better, if not wackier, but haven't bothered to try myself despite owning it from a sale.

The need was money. They spent like 6 years making art, their company has an insane structure and a culture where the artists rule the roost. They could stand to lose half of their creative staff. They didn't even break even until the third game. Typical Japanese dev house, too fucking stubborn to change until they get themselves into deep financial shit.

No, the need was that the guy in charge literally loves Lightning more than his wife. I am not making this up, he's made public statements about this. She threatened divorce when he wanted her to dress up as Lightning. He's a fucking creeper and it's screwing up our games.

News Comments > DICE: BF4 Launch "Absolutely" Damaged Player Trust
8. Re: DICE: BF4 Launch "Absolutely" Damaged Player Trust Oct 8, 2014, 10:04 007Bistromath

Here's a better idea, DICE: don't be a slave to launch culture. Your games have always been broken, and they were still always successful. This is because until recently, you could be trusted to mostly fix them in a timely fashion without relying on paid DLC to prop up the effort. You make EA enough money that if you could just get them to look at the long tail for one goddamn dev cycle, they probably couldn't force you to be as shitty as you are now. Nut up and send a real negotiator to the boardroom and be the dev we know you can be.

PS: MAKE 2143 YOU STUPID ASSHOLES

News Comments > PopCap Founder Pops Out
5. Re: PopCap Founder Pops Out Sep 6, 2014, 14:17 007Bistromath

Huh. I had no idea the founder of PopCap was a lunatic. I guess that explains Peggle.  

205 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo