Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 6289 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Google story was a hoax Aug 18, 2013, 08:03 eRe4s3r

That 40% number was pulled out of a nether region. The actual (factual!) impact taken from the DEC-IX backbone nodes on the whole traffic was less than 0.03%  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Sims 4 Details & Screenshots [Updated]
18. Re: The Sims 4 Details & Screenshots Aug 18, 2013, 03:21 eRe4s3r

aesir05 wrote on Aug 18, 2013, 02:59:
I never liked how time was managed in the Sims 3.
Maybe its changed but I used to get my sim up at 5am to take a shower, eat get ready for work but that used to get them ready by 9am.

Time wasn't done properly or the animations for the tasks needs to be faster.

One of the ways to get around that is to completely disable the needs. That way there is even some sort of "game" to be found.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Videos
7. Re: Battlefield 4 Videos Aug 17, 2013, 03:00 eRe4s3r

Cpmartins wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 02:16:
I played about 400 hours of BF 1942. Then about 200 or so of 2142. Then some 20 or so of BF3 (yeah I skipped BF2, college and all). And THEN I realized BF was dead and buried, so I started playing planetside 2 on an organized outfit. Best thing I did.
Screw dice and ea. They've killed it for the BF 1942 crowd.

Lmao, BF1942 MP gaming = Grenade spam till you drop. I played professional leagues.... BF3 is the far better game.. only BF2142 was better (sadly nobody played that)

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 16, 2013, 21:50 eRe4s3r

ViRGE wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 20:33:
Tom wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 17:59:
Paywalls are stupid. Whenever I hit one, I just go to Google News and it's absolutely trivial to find hundreds of alternative sources for the same story. Paying a subscription fee for news is obsolete.
And yet it still costs money to collect news. So if not subscriptions and not advertising (since advertising doesn't work), how does one pay for a news service?

Maybe ISP's should pay

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2013, 16:01 eRe4s3r

Bitterbug wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 12:41:
So for some people here it's "If you don't want to be harassed, don't be findable on the internet".

Must be the same people who believe that abstinence programs equal sex ed. That blame women who are attacked because they didn't dress conservative enough. And accuse people who are robbed of being irresponsible for leaving the house with things to steal.

Welcome to the digital age. While you were away the internet was created. And on the tubes, whether you are findable or not, is a choice you make. Cyberspace isn't like Meatspace.... rules and realities are different. Old thinking like that will only make you despair. Accept how it is. Privacy is important on the web, and everyone with monetary interests tries to undermine your privacy. So don't help them do that by posting your shizzle on facebook and google+

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 16, 2013, 15:49 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 13:43:
SF Chronicle's paywall comes down after only four months.

Interesting. I guess SF people are too internet savvy, since this model is working well for NYT and WSJ.

Working well is a nice way to interpret it

Not sure we can call that working well... given that everyone who made a paywall is crying that they are not getting any money from ads anymore and have lost 90% of their readership. And if you are not read your importance as a news source wanes.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Aug 15, 2013, 21:14 eRe4s3r

That's what happens when your game is made for the mass market, you attract the mass idiots  

News Comments > Tropico 5 Announced
20. Re: Tropico 5 Announced Aug 15, 2013, 18:15 eRe4s3r

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 15:08:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 13:59:
Tropico's education system is one thing I never enjoyed in these games. It's so.. micro management heavy and not paying attention can easily ruin your running city.
That was one of the things I enjoyed the most, mostly because a lot of 'sim' style games either do it badly, or not at all.

True.. Tropico 4 does it pretty realistically, which is a not a good thing for me for the sole reason that education in T4 is a trailing effect. Meaning your forgotten restriction or liberalization of education early on can ruin you later on without as much as a single warning. You'll only notice it when you have no uneducated *hint* workers left.

The funny thing is that this is exactly the kind of problem a dictatorship like in Tropico 4 would have to constantly be aware off. Highly educated students make for terrible low cost laborers. Better to only offer this education to the elites.

This is one of these thing where Tropico 4 is extremely smart in what it does. It literally requires you to run a proper dictatorship. If you muddle it with "education for everyone" you'll be losing a lot There are theories around that the true danger to (religious and political) dictatorship is widespread education.

And don't get me wrong. I like that Tropico 4 is *smart* like that. What I don't like is that this should be way better visualized and we should have more education control.

News Comments > Tropico 5 Announced
18. Re: Tropico 5 Announced Aug 15, 2013, 13:59 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 11:36:
I quite enjoy Tropico 4, though it does have some really weird-ass quirks. (Such as: Why is nobody going to my high school? It's opposite the road from the elementary school, which has kids hanging from the rooftops it's so full, but nobody goes to my high school. Plenty of teachers, in the middle of town, etc. I have students in my universities. Never get anyone in high school.)

But after playing about five or so missions, and just building massive cities with everything and anything in each one, I'm kind of done with it.

The education system in Tropico 4 is glitched in more ways than just that (or maybe it's a feature). You can literally educate yourself out of a workforce if you don't massively restrict the education buildings. The other direction is that you can dead-end your population education as well where people are all in jobs and nobody has time to go to Highschool.

Tropico's education system is one thing I never enjoyed in these games. It's so.. micro management heavy and not paying attention can easily ruin your running city.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
7. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 15, 2013, 13:33 eRe4s3r

It's just that..you know.. Google and "woefully incomplete dictionary" does not make much sense to me. It's Google. They have the databases to create an all encompassing spell check easily ^^

This is no really serious issue when we get down to it. But I am easily annoyed by these red wriggle marks underneath correct words simply because it makes me doubt what the correct spelling is/was.

Had to giggle when you said "fairly recent ~1950" it's 2013 and we are talking over thousands of miles on the intertubes... I expect some more "up to date" vocabulary out of a spell check

News Comments > Betrayer Early Access
2. Re: Betrayer Early Access Aug 15, 2013, 01:48 eRe4s3r

Well it's a legitimate choice for a developer to do this... if his goal is to induce headaches.

When you wrote that I thought you meant like in B/W TV which is not just "black and white" but with a rather large grey range... but this is literally black only and white only.

It looks pretty on screenshots, but I can imagine playing this is.. gonna be... very very annoying. For most low end screen users the game is probably 1 big blur.

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 15, 2013, 01:01 eRe4s3r

mag wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 00:23:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 00:09:
Ok.... what is "A midsize refrigerator" ? Like, the exact size and performance definition please, does it have a freezer? How volume, in litre? And how do they get to that iPhone power usage statistics? Because otherwise that article is like saying that my car uses more power than my hair dryer.

Stupid sensationalist headline. Or put differently, Click Bait. (I sadly clicked)

Funny: Chrome spell check does not know the word litre... quality wherever you look ^^

Litre=liter, in the US. Chrome knows the word, but not the spelling.

Which is surprising, given that a spell check should know the international spelling of a SI unit..... in fact Chrome doesn't know any of the (correct) international spellings for SI units. This throws me off every single time. Because liter and meter are the correct spellings for the German names of these units but not for the international names. Although meter and liter is probably something Americans understand if not comprehend as useful units ;p

Point is. Why doesn't this spell check know the international spelling of the words? For an american, liter or litre, meter or metre would both be correct to use and same applies for a German. Generally speaking we ought to strife to call units by their international names to begin with.

Just thought that odd. Though by far not the only odd thing with this thing they call a spell check.

Like, dystopian... it doesn't know dystopian dystopia dystopic utopian and utopic. Yet it knows utopia (which is a pretty dang bit weird). Did they get this dictionary from an insane asylum?

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 2013, 01:15.

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 15, 2013, 00:09 eRe4s3r

Ok.... what is "A midsize refrigerator" ? Like, the exact size and performance definition please, does it have a freezer? How volume, in litre? And how do they get to that iPhone power usage statistics? Because otherwise that article is like saying that my car uses more power than my hair dryer.

Stupid sensationalist headline. Or put differently, Click Bait. (I sadly clicked)

Funny: Chrome spell check does not know the word litre... quality wherever you look ^^

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 14, 2013, 23:49 eRe4s3r

"Allyson was born deaf, so she has cochlear implants. Thankfully we had them off and she didn't hear any of it and she slept right through it,"

Lmao I find it hard to feel anything but amusement over this. If the wi-fi router was unprotected, doesn't that mean the parents are accomplices in this crime?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 14, 2013, 12:38 eRe4s3r

And people wonder why Snowden fled the USA. Does this look like a free country to you? Gag orders, secret courts, secret laws, secret kidnapping of foreigners into torture, secret jails and a lying corrupt government... could come right out of a paranoids dreams. Turns out the paranoid were right.

How could this even get this far?

News Comments > Into the Black
18. Re: Into the Black Aug 14, 2013, 02:01 eRe4s3r

Orogogus wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 01:08:
I think there are also efficiencies regarding speed and altitude that favor jet engines (which aren't battery powered) over propellers.

Also, you're assuming that the energy difference between a Future Tech 1 battery and jet fuel is one that can be solved soon. Like, in our generation. It might not be. There's a lot of money being spent on energy research, all the time.

Well hope dies famously last. If there is not a replacement technology for fuel that has adequate efficiency in MY time then the worlds going down a very depressing path anyway. And it isn't just jet fuel that has to be replaced. Lot's of solvents and rubber based seals used in planes and trains and cars, are oil based and if oil is going to be scarce aka, extremely expensive, then not just flying, but rather all fast forms of travel will be a thing for the super rich.

As I see it money is spent on the wrong kinds of research. Nearly nobody invests large sums in battery research. Only NOW after many years of misguided construction does the German energy industry even realize that they build a lot of extremely expensive and completely useless toothpicks with fans off-shore that have no energy storage capability whatsoever. And what's the sodding point of air and solar power if it can't be stored? Highest energy needs are during winter, where neither wind nor sun are a viable factor. And replacement for gas based heating is just as vital, not just for heating, but for warm water! Either way.. I hope we get better (market ready) batteries soon.

News Comments > Into the Black
16. Re: Into the Black Aug 14, 2013, 00:33 eRe4s3r

Orogogus wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 19:35:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 15:35:
(Planes) can run on electricity if batteries and engines were actually built for it. This thing can only transport 28 people at once.

I'm not under the impression that we have the technology to build an electricity-powered passenger plane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_aircraft

I don't see anything that has more than 4 seats.

Ok, but you don't see low vacuum tube trains zooming about with 900mph either. The question is what is cheaper to develop and what has more uses and applications. And last I checked the only reasons planes use kerosene, is that batteries have terrible energy density per KG (compared to kerosene).

So to me it seems that we should be building better and cheaper batteries ,) Because one thing is for sure, we will have electricity available for as long as the sun is in the sky. But fuel is gonna be running out at some point.

AddenduM: Or a new energy source that is more efficient than sun or oil

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2013, 00:42.

News Comments > Sword of the Stars: Ground Pounders Announced
7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2013, 00:21 eRe4s3r

Slashman wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 23:07:
SoTS 2 is functional. Pretty much everything works.

The problem is that "functional" does not make it a good game, and that is why Paradox is not giving them a chance in hell anymore. The game design is horrendous. Slow as molasses, retarded combat design and slow automatic calculations (Playing as Hivers is a lesson in masochism given that you are forced to watch slow calculated combat every turn wherever there is a single ship near a gate of yours, which means, 20+ combat calculations per turn, including allies that never so much as fire a shot, but heavens forbid the game calculates this faster than "slow") non-functional planetary defenses that aren't worth a damn and don't defend worth a damn. Research that is topping out way too fast, combat that is slow even if you fight it yourself.

Or basically, yes.. they kept their trojan promise to "fix all bugs" but the game is a wreck from a gameplay standpoint. And let's not even mention their bullshit lies regarding mod support. Where are the tools they promised us ON RELEASE?

And the last nail are the turn times and lack of random maps.

And did I mention SLOW? When you make a turn based game with at best 7 AI's why the sodding hell is the END TURN slow? 7 AI bots should run in real-time. Ok, so some complicated decisions, maybe 10 seconds. But not minutes. No matter how many fleets. (Especially given that maps are fixed, so what is the AI calculating exactly?)

Either way, SOTS2 is functional, and that I give them. But it is substantially worse than SOTS1.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2013, 00:39.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
19. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 13, 2013, 18:38 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 10:30:
dj LiTh wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 10:17:
Actually i find it a lot more amusing seeing all the people that are just so dumbstruck that an intelligence/spy agency actually was spying. I mean how stupid do you have to be to not realize that.

You mean the part where they were caught spying on their own citizens?

Or the part where they tapped EU embassies...
Or the part where they spied on allied nations...
Or the part where it's proven that US companies gained illegal benefits from gov sponsored economic espionage?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 13, 2013, 15:58 eRe4s3r

What is AMD competing against here exactly? No stats for Hawaii GPU are out. Could be it's slower than a 670GTX, and then being 600$ wouldn't be a very good selling point, now would it.  

6289 Comments. 315 pages. Viewing page 47.
< Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo