Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 6958 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > More QuakeCon Preregistration Tonight
4. Re: More QuakeCon Preregistration Tonight Mar 20, 2014, 05:05 eRe4s3r

Ah so it's a lan party... 150$ for a lan party is pretty costly...  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > 75 More Steam Greenlights
10. Re: 75 More Steam Greenlights Mar 20, 2014, 04:53 eRe4s3r

Frijoles wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 00:15:
Asmo wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 21:11:
Looking at some of the "greenlights", I think they need to institute a "red light" program to take some of the white noise out of the list...

I've stopped looking at the New Releases tab in Steam. There's so much trash there, the good games are getting lost in the list. I figure I'll hear about the better games from here at Blues or other places on the web. It used to be that I'd click every game on that New Release tab to see what it was. Haven't done that in a while though.

Same here, Steam has gotten completely unusable with all that junk they spam the release tab with.

News Comments > More QuakeCon Preregistration Tonight
2. Re: BLUE- BUG under the BF4 Naval announcement below! Mar 19, 2014, 22:53 eRe4s3r

But we all know what you wanted to say Thehe

Quakecon though.. what's the point? Quake Live, TES Online... what else does Bethesda and ID have to even show. (Serious question, I have no idea what)

News Comments > Sacred 3 in August
2. Re: Sacred 3 in August Mar 19, 2014, 22:47 eRe4s3r

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 21:42:
Hrm... couldn't really see a ton of gameplay in that video, but the game is going to have to be pretty badass to make a dent in the Diablo 3 / PoE / Grim Dawn world.

Sacred 1 = not bad.
Sacred 2 = terrible DRM, had to skip it.
Sacred 3 = simultaneous release on consoles? Uh oh.

Gameplay "Trailers" with no UI active always make me doubtful... we'll see whether it's good or not soon enough though ;p

Co-Release with PS3 and X360 is really iffy though. Seems like a developer didn't get their game out before the target consoles became obsolete

News Comments > Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity
4. Re: Paradox Interactive to Distribute Pillars of Eternity Mar 19, 2014, 11:13 eRe4s3r

dj LiTh wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 10:09:
I like this pairing, paradox is aces in my book.

Clearly you didn't buy SOTS 2 and suffered their bullshit refund offer that was tainted by deceit and lies. Stranding us who believed in Paradox's word with neither refund nor working game.

Yeah, aces alright

Or how about dropping Support for Sengoku after 4 patches despite promising us that it will be supported for "years" ... funny how trust works in this business huh...

To me, Paradox is a worse publisher than EA.

News Comments > Unity 5 Announced
16. Re: Unity 5 Announced Mar 19, 2014, 04:07 eRe4s3r

Vulkan wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 20:25:
With Unity 5, Kerbal Space Program will finally get some sorely needed 64 bit support on Windows platforms, one of the best bits of good news I've heard this week.

Huh? I see no mention anywhere that KSP will convert to Unity 5 nor 64bit

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 18, 2014, 11:44 eRe4s3r

Ah CD Projekt doing a mobile game with a "New business model" ... what can possibly go wrong!

*Everything

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Mar 18, 2014, 08:51 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 08:38:
Fantaz wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 19:28:
is Mars War Logs good? seems like a great price...

...unless you have literally no other RPGs to play or replay....

That is something that applies to most people who play rpg's ;p There aren't that many to begin with, and only very few are "good" even fewer are "great" .. no point skipping out on a "ok" one for 2

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Mar 18, 2014, 02:07 eRe4s3r

Fantaz wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 19:28:
is Mars War Logs good? seems like a great price...

It's unique, but while it has many great ideas the execution lacks Combat is spammy and sort of like a brawler even. Characters are hit-and-miss ( I liked some, hated others ) and there are 2 paths to take.

It's not game-of-the-year material, but for that price certainly worth it imo. If you like rpg's that are rougher around the edges this one is definitely one to consider ;p

News Comments > The Last Federation Next Month; New Trailer Shows Changes
1. Re: The Last Federation Next Month; New Trailer Shows Changes Mar 17, 2014, 22:12 eRe4s3r

Looks interesting.... wonder how much gameplay depth there really is though  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
26. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 17, 2014, 06:21 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 19:10:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 18:35:
Nice to see Wargame Red Dragon on that list.
Also Banished is doing really well, it's on the top 10 list every single week since it came out.

Yeah, I think there's a hunger for proper city-builder games.

And it's most definitely not sated by Banished.... kinda sad the genre is so dead though. I want a proper futuristic city builder, or maybe a real medieval one. Sort of like Tropico, just with a more dynamic element and much more challenge. Banished bored me to tears past 2 hour mark (played 1 game, year 30, seen everything) no idea what people find challenging about this game. It's only "difficult" because it doesn't tell you anything. And the only challenge would be to somehow max out how many citizens you can have...

The game developer says
Surviving the winters will be among your greatest challenges

And that's simply not true. Winter is easy... and boring. Which is pretty dang odd, you'd think Winter could be made to be really fierce... but here it's just a texture swap and some buildings not working.. whoooohoooo the challenge... ;p

And the economy is a joke, no product chain longer than 2 steps... challenging? For children maybe

** then again, I can see the allure.. but I want MORE Banished doesn't do it for me.. sigh, back to Anno

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 2014, 06:32.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 17, 2014, 05:58 eRe4s3r

Slashman wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 00:17:
Axis wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 16:31:
Planet Explorers is well worth it if you like those sort of games. We just got steam keys but the community and dev support has been strong for a long time.

I was looking at it, but wanted to hear from someone on Blues who has actually played it. What's it actually like?

It's basically a better looking minecraft with actual quests (npc's) and a massive exploration element. Laser guns, whacking monsters with swords, and the usual resource hunting by mining, though you get a proper scanner that tells you where to mine.

You can build your own vehicle designs, and I do mean literally. Which is a pretty neat fluff feature And aside that, crafting, farming, hunting and so on.

As Axis said, if you like that sort of game you will like this (once it's done) currently lots of things are not complete (obviously)

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Mar 16, 2014, 15:05 eRe4s3r

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 10:25:
Linux bigots really crack me up. I guess they don't consider games to be important.

Of course they don't. Why you think they are on Windows XP ^^

News Comments > Galactic Command Echo Squad SE Demo
3. Re: Galactic Command Echo Squad SE Demo Mar 16, 2014, 14:48 eRe4s3r

No.. just... no

That video on the steam page (Space Exploration) ... what's exploration about that, all I hear is a computer voice for the entire video.

News Comments > BAFTA Winners
27. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2014, 02:37 eRe4s3r

PropheT wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 23:45:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 22:19:
But that point is exactly why these games are so great, to some/many. Last of us has you connect to a character while Papers Please makes you realize that if you sat there, doing that exact job in that situation, you'd become corrupt faster than you can scream "decency" and "never".

All of these games, require you to connect to the situation on a psychological level. And I can fully understand if some people don't like that. I do love it though Maybe you will be converted once full VR is realized, with good "Presence"

The Last of Us, in my mind at least, did the equivalent of showing you a puppy. See how cute that is? Of course you do, it's a puppy. Now I'm going to do bad things with it, because everyone loves puppies and that's guaranteed to get a response. It's like a click-bait article, you lure them in with a guaranteed emotion grabber and then rattle it around to stir them up... it just never holds up later, or if you recognize it and feel scammed in the first place. The intro sequence to the game with Joel's daughter is powerful, but it's cheapened because you know exactly where it's going. The rest of the game isn't any different to me, it's been done before.

I completely understand that that's what they were going for, but my problem is that they feel like that's what they were going for. I have a teenage daughter, I know what it's like to deal with it every day; I didn't like Ellie. I didn't like Joel. It sort of made it impossible to empathize when them or reach the conclusion that the game wanted you to where you were ok with everything because you saw it from their perspective.

Papers, Please does a good job of what it's intending to do. It just isn't a fun game to me, unfortunately. It makes its point, and it's a good one, but it's not much of a game so once you've accepted what that point is there's no real pull to continue.

I don't like games I can't connect to on a psychological level (or emotional, at least). I don't like games, movies, or books with characters I can't empathize with. I'm just not fond of the heavy handed approach to storytelling, and being told what to feel doesn't work for me.

Yeah you make some great points... but unless massive advances in AI happen the characters will never be more than puppies. Gaming is still trying to fumble about with story-telling, it can be done infinitely better than "the last of us".... but the game required to support such a thing would be huge.

Also let me just say, but the portrait of children, emotions and ethics in gaming is still laughable at best, even The walking dead goes too far with the "Puppy Eyes", Clementine is after all, an 11 year old. They could explore infinitely the depths of the human psyche, create an abstracted, yet real feeling character that doesn't just suffer day in and out. But they don't. So while I like these games, I completely understand your point as well. Walking Dead would be infinitely better (imo) if all the daily chores and stuff that HAVE to exist inbetween, were shown and acted and scripted out. Because that is the only way a character becomes real in such a situation.

I didn't like Joel nor Ellie either, I merely liked the story and well, the movie (watched it as Let's play)

Believe me, once VR achieves break-through and you experience true presence in a virtual world, a character in front of you WILL feel human (or whatever) to you. And you will connect to them if they are properly acted out. But that is still in the future. An Ellie that you could interact with, as Avatar that is "you", may respond and act different. That's really the problem with Last of Us in a way, Joel is an unlikeable asshole (imo) and Ellie doesn't seem like a real person. She is too, I don't even know how to put, categorized. It's like someone made a checklist "how to write a teenage girl" and went through it. Ehm... tropeified?

I still think story telling can be done so much better than TLOU. The game might even have profited from MUCH less combat and over-the-top situations. Situations, in which no character could act realistically. Or at least, not in a way we except it.

15. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 12, 2014, 22:19 eRe4s3r

PropheT wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 21:26:
The only game on that entire list that I kind of enjoyed was Bioshock Infinite (I haven't played GTA V or FIFA).

The Last of Us is easily the most overrated game I've ever seen. I'm just not sure what people see in it... the gameplay wasn't particularly good and has been done better by other stealth games like Splinter Cell, Dishonored, or Deus Ex. The story is cliche and not all that interesting, using ham-fisted tropes to show just how much you're supposed to care at any given time and hammer into you each moment that you're supposed to be upset instead of trusting you enough to let you feel it on your own. I know people love it, for whatever reason, but goddamn I hated it and that it's being held up as example of what other games should be like.

Papers, Please seems overrated to me as well. Like the Stanley Parable, it's interesting for about half an hour and then it's forgettable since it's made its point and isn't particularly fun to play once that's over.

But that point is exactly why these games are so great, to some/many. Last of us has you connect to a character while Papers Please makes you realize that if you sat there, doing that exact job in that situation, you'd become corrupt faster than you can scream "decency" and "never".

All of these games, require you to connect to the situation on a psychological level. And I can fully understand if some people don't like that. I do love it though Maybe you will be converted once full VR is realized, with good "Presence"

13. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 12, 2014, 22:11 eRe4s3r

Acleacius wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 20:07:
The Last of Us sounds like a great game, but what I will NEVER get is how in the hell a 30 year old woman is convincing/plausible actress as a 12 year old girl. It's effing ridiculous. Even in the video clips I've seen, it was horribly obvious.

Until we have synthetic voices and AI actors that can do emotions this'll always be a problem. But that said, I have no idea how young girls would sound like in the apocalypse... I do know that 99% of the ones I see walking outside would be dead on day 0 ... nobody here has a tree-house, I think you'd even break some kind of nature protection law or some shit

News Comments > Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio
71. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 20:09 eRe4s3r

Quinn wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 18:37:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 18:09:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 12:51:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 11:23:
The HDD is of course a bottleneck for those old PC's just as much as it is for newer ones... SSD is where it's at. And nobody has an excuse only running 128gb of SSD, when 250 or 500gb are offered for good price nowadays.

Thanks for making buying decisions for me.

Glad to help Maybe you weren't aware, but games are getting bigger.... just saying.

A few years ago I had decided only to have an SSD as a boot-up device aka OS device and not as storage for games. This because I read that SSD's don't handle file deletion and reinstallation well. I want my gaming storage device to be able to handle me deleting games and installing games on basically a daily basis. Has technology improved in these few years or am I expected to buy a new SSD every year?

Well that changed with the newer gen SSD's indeed. SSD's handle deletion perfectly fine now, only few things you are not supposed to run on SSD's, internet browsers for example, or torrent downloads. And the things that can break because of this you have INSANE buffers on a 512GB SSD for example, like.. it could last 50 years before wear-leveling would make it a brick.

Am I really that much of an off-shoot with a 512GB SSD (830 from Samsung) and a 3TB HDD ? Granted I waited a while before jumping on that bandwagon, and I read a lot about it before deciding. To me it's System and games I often play (online, and some larger SP games, Fallout 3/NV) for example. I don't often move new games on there or delete some.... it's still a decision to put a game there or not. But things like Diablo 3 benefit HUGELY from a SSD for some reason.

I am just saying that games benefit from SSD's... some of them, anyway.

News Comments > GameRanger Passes 5M Users
8. Re: GameRanger Passes 5M Users Mar 12, 2014, 20:02 eRe4s3r

Quboid wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 19:38:
Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 19:29:
Really? Never heard of them.

I've never heard of this either and I'm not sure what it does. Dedicated servers? Store? There's a decent list of games there, Anno 1404 for example, but what you can do with it I don't know.

It basically gives you a browser of available games in games that no longer support that by themselves. Pretty useful if you want to play old games online where the internet function ran over gamespy, for example.

3. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 12, 2014, 20:00 eRe4s3r

Alamar wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 19:55:
Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 19:28:
If it's not available on all platforms it should be a contender to begin with. How is everyone else to judge otherwise?

Indeed, only games on PC, PS3, 360, Wii-U, iOS and Android should be allowed... That's what, like three games?

-Alamar

Well if it's on android or iOS then it isn't a game to begin with *ducks*

6958 Comments. 348 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo