Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 6294 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Raven Legacy Of A Master Thief Final Chapter
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Raven Legacy Of A Master Thief Final Chapter Sep 24, 2013, 12:34 eRe4s3r

It's a very well made point and click adventure  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield Bad Company 2 Offline?
6. Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 Offline? Sep 24, 2013, 11:24 eRe4s3r

They already said that it's a technical failure.. not a shutdown.  

News Comments > NVIDIA: "No Longer Possible" for Consoles to Better PC Graphics
5. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 10:38 eRe4s3r

While what Nvidia says is true, in reality the best GPU isn't gonna mean shit if you need 1000 artists employed for 3 to 5 years to make a big AAA title.

What's limiting graphics isn't the GPU, it's the cost, time and manpower needed to make that superior looking gfx...

There is no ecomony of scale when it comes to modeling or texturing.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
11. Re: Sunday Interviews Sep 22, 2013, 23:11 eRe4s3r

NewMaxx wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 22:32:
ItBurn wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 21:56:
My opinion on the Witcher games is that they actually kinda suck. But the decisions you make are so hard and impactful that near the end of the game, you're very involved and get really into it. Plus the story really ties together only at the end. Basically, it hurts to play it, but after completing it, you're glad you did :p

Well said.

They're overrated. It's not surprising considering the audience, the readership of the books, the attitude of the story. It appeals to a specific mindset that happens to be a loud champion of its cause, but it really signifies nothing. Do I really identify with the protagonist, or do I just wish I could? This is a deep divide that to me was never satisfied. A good story, yes, but I can get that anywhere...the sub-par RPG mechanics are the only thing that kept me truly interested.

I realize I am in a minority by those statements which is why I hesitate to reply, but your comments are illuminating. The games are worth playing, for a variety of reasons. As an adventure game it is quite interesting, but otherwise the RPG elements...they are just laborious. Those who say otherwise should just shirk themselves over to a console (Dark Souls comes to mind) and be done with it, because they both feel very much at home there.

Any true, PC-borne RPG fan knows that the Witcher is at best a pale imitation and really just tries to tickle the fancy of those pseudo-intellectuals who want to seem current. It's ironic since their intent is curiously on the contrary...to seem retrograde...which is all the more reason for me to have distaste.

This is surely not an minority opinion. I pre-ordered Witcher 2 and loved it (for reasons) after they patched the retarded aspect ratio and fov, even modded it to some extend, but I could sign your post 100%.

I would even go so far as to not call it an RPG at all. To me it always felt more like a "choose your path" visual novel with tacked on combat and optional RPG elements. And the FOV issues as well as Aspect Ratio issues screamed CONSOLE from the mountains well before they announced a console version.

The Witcher 2 fails at making you identify with the protagonist. Because you are not role playing anything here, you are playing Geralt and nothing you do will make him a better or worse person. This is a problem with these far reaching monumental decisions... they disconnect you from the avatar you are playing because the decisions are greater than him and they never come back to haunt him specifically.

A strong contrast is in ME3, and however much you may hate on Bioware writing, ME3 has several high profile decisions that come DIRECTLY back to haunt you and connect you to the avatar you are playing. It was your decision, and you decided how it was carried out. Even if you don't have a choice THAT it is carried out one or the other way, you still had a tangible directional effect on the decision.

I dunno if the Witcher source books offer nothing else or what it is, but I find the "scope" of this fantasy world too small or too large. There is never really any part in Witcher 2 where you truly identify with any of the characters and their situations, or connect with Geralt. Well, for me it was the case anyway. But I suffered through that, and the stupid combat and silly boss fights, and the ending was worth it more or less.

But Witcher 2 is definitely not a paragon of RPG goodness. I'd say it isn't even a particularly good game when you come down to the basics.....

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2013, 23:24.

News Comments > Saturday Patches
7. Re: Saturday Patches Sep 22, 2013, 21:17 eRe4s3r

What's this with rocks? I love rocks, do you want a Rhodesian or a Basalt rock?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 22, 2013, 21:15 eRe4s3r

Fibrocyte wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 15:49:
siapnar wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 14:16:
Anyone tried State of Decay?

It seems odd to me to purchase/play a single-player only game before it is complete. For multiplayer I get it because there is a higher potential for replayability.

This is what got me with Take On: Mars, these screens that pop up say "missing content" but what exactly is that content? And would it warrant replaying the game again for it? Mhhhh

(Sidenote: I got that game for like.. 5 .. so wee, beautiful mars exploration game. But not sure where the gameplay is... although it was fun for plenty of hours )

Also Godus is in the top 3 but if people buy that from word of mouth they must be reading and watching other channels than I do. Which is a bit surprising. All the review youtubers slammed it so hard that Molyneux's ego is still shaking.

News Comments > Saturday Patches
1. Re: Saturday Patches Sep 21, 2013, 21:13 eRe4s3r

NS 2 patch 257 is now out.. fixing a game breaking issue that patch 256 introduced..

And this be why you never release patches for an MP game on fridays.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 21, 2013, 20:51 eRe4s3r

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 07:12:
Prolly not the best phone to get if your a druglord, pedophile, terrorist, top 10 most wanted. Other then that, its not gonna matter as if someone wants your data, they're gonna get it, be it android, windows, ios phones.

That said, itunes is the deal breaker for me /w apple phones.

You are apparently under the amusing impression that the NSA uses all this data that it obtains to fight crime....

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 20, 2013, 16:12 eRe4s3r

Dmitri_M wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 15:56:
I haven't really followed this Snowden thing much but what's the big deal with an intelligence agency intelligencing?

Maybe that the US signed a binding treaty with the EU that basically said "We don't spy if you don't spy" ?

Maybe that the UK is a EU member, and as such FORBIDDEN by CONTRACT and LAW to spy on EU member states?

Or that the US put bugs in the EU Embassy, which is so illegal and absurd (Anti terrorism espionage in the EU embassies?) that the EU was pissed.

Or that economic espionage is illegal in nearly all nations on this planet?

Just a few reasons why it's a big deal.

Of course, we can do nothing against this, it's politicians duty to protect their citizens. And the real big deal is that they apparently all knew this, and thus violated their oath. (It's about non US politicians by the way)

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 20, 2013, 13:08 eRe4s3r

Belgium can bring this to the highest EU courts if they choose. Let's hope they do....  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2013, 12:57 eRe4s3r

Now if only the same thing existed with limitation for say, all parts you can buy on store X. Or all parts you can buy from Amazon.de ....

27. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2013, 12:53 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 10:25:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 10:20:
SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 10:06:
You will love the SSD Blue, and will be reminded how awesome they are every single time you turn on or shut down your PC.

IMO Sleep finally works reliably in Windows 7, shouldn't be a lot of reboots imo (Once a week tops for a std user, sometimes a month or so). Sleep takes between 1-2 seconds to be ready to go at desktop.

Now starting up large apps...

Sleep doesn't seem to work right for me.
For some reason
a. My system wakes from sleep for no reason (checked and network wake is off)
b. My system wakes from sleep and within a minute or so I get blue screen of death.

I just shut it off, not much different in time to boot up or wake from sleep.

Funny thing is sleep worked fine when I first installed W7 but one of the windows update screwed it up. Didn't have time or patient to figure it out.

I have the same problem. One of the last 2 months windows or driver (nvidia?) updates broke stand-by entirely for me (freezes/bsod on resume)

Then again, starting cold takes so little time I have given up on troubleshooting this... the waking up randomly is a USB issue, but the freeze seems to either be a GPU or Windows issue.

News Comments > SimCity Cities of Tomorrow Announced
20. Re: SimCity Cities of Tomorrow Announced Sep 20, 2013, 09:30 eRe4s3r

Sepharo wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 02:55:
Dev wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 01:17:
Did they ever get around to fixing the original game yet? I know they had a few patches, but last I heard there were still many problems.

This one doesn't have the size upgrades, but I'm sure they are coming.

Every patch claims to fix the traffic. So each patch invalidates the claim of the previous.

And traffic is still broken, mostly. Beyond 150k fudged population things get... interesting. It's a simple fact, the AI can't handle intersections and 3 lane roads correctly. For that to be the case, we'd need to be able to set 1 way roads and roundabouts as well as vastly more complicated setups for the connection to the main highway, and more than 1 connection. As long as you don't see a patch adding these things, traffic will never be "fixed"

I recently played again and still got traffic dead-lock despite a FULL working bus/tram/train infrastructure. Although it was at 190k

And by the way, the lack of roundabouts is the biggest issue traffic has. Roundabouts (mostly) allow for 4 way intersections that work. In Sim City~TM 4-way intersections are the way to total traffic chaos. Not to mention we should have low med, high speed roads in cities, just like big cities have.

Either way, 7 patches and they didn't fix shit. The regions are still laggy as hell, global trade is still iffy, money can still be "lost" when you send it... blah

News Comments > New NVIDIA WHQL Drivers
22. Re: New NVIDIA WHQL Drivers Sep 20, 2013, 09:14 eRe4s3r

I don't care about OS alternatives but I do care about performance... and the only way you'd get me to change from x86-64 is if you'd offer me performance several FACTORS faster with a huge compatibility across all systems.

To me, the future of the PC is going to be ending if it ain't x86-64 anymore. I would honestly contemplate buying consoles instead then.

News Comments > CLANG Kickstarter Goes Clunk
13. Re: CLANG Kickstarter Goes Clunk Sep 20, 2013, 07:33 eRe4s3r

You are ... correct.

The RISK's clearly say "Project can fail with nothing tangible produced"

So people can't blame anyone. If the money is gone, well shit, it is gone. Deal with it. Don't put money into a KS project if you needed it to survive the week to boot.

20. Re: New NVIDIA WHQL Drivers Sep 20, 2013, 07:22 eRe4s3r

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 19:28:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 18:47:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 12:21:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 12:16:
Somewhere along the lines maybe another competitor will emerge....

Like it's anywhere near that bad.

There are 3 companies that define what is a PC CPU/GPU nowadays. I call that pretty damn bad. Back 20 years we had dozens of companies pushing ahead. Now Intel is pushing AMD, and Nvidia is pushing ATI. And that's it. If AMD/ATI ever comes into any kind of money problem the PC market for CPU/GPU offerings is dead with 0 competition.

Already now there is barely any choice when it comes to upgrades.

I wouldnt leave ARM out. Although its not x86, i think intel is a lot more scared of ARM then they are of AMD

While ARM is a competitor of sorts (although not anywhere in the PC market), of course one leaves ARM out when it comes to PC upgrades. ARM offers nothing that could "upgrade" anything in your PC. Even if that PC is 8 years old.

News Comments > SimCity Cities of Tomorrow Announced
16. Re: SimCity Cities of Tomorrow Announced Sep 20, 2013, 07:10 eRe4s3r

Lorcin wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 21:51:
Living in a city in a future imagined by EA? RATED M FOR SCARY AS FUCK BITCH!

You been reading the news lately? The present is already scary as fuck bitch. EA can't top it anymore.

15. Re: New NVIDIA WHQL Drivers Sep 19, 2013, 18:47 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 12:21:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 12:16:

Like it's anywhere near that bad.

There are 3 companies that define what is a PC CPU/GPU nowadays. I call that pretty damn bad. Back 20 years we had dozens of companies pushing ahead. Now Intel is pushing AMD, and Nvidia is pushing ATI. And that's it. If AMD/ATI ever comes into any kind of money problem the PC market for CPU/GPU offerings is dead with 0 competition.

Already now there is barely any choice when it comes to upgrades.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2013, 18:27 eRe4s3r

You guys do know that not all coffee is cleaning acid right? There are mixes available with a lot less caffeine and ways to further reduce it with milk and shorter brewing times.....

Although I guess for most of you machine coffee is the height of culture? I wouldn't drink that stuff even for money.

8. Re: New NVIDIA WHQL Drivers Sep 19, 2013, 12:16 eRe4s3r

6294 Comments. 315 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo