Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 6284 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 26, 2013, 22:05 eRe4s3r

Tumbler wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 17:07:
It's really hard for my mind to understand how you "Grow" a billion little tubes. Everything nano-tech related I've seen or read about always left me thinking of millions of tiny robots but it's more organic in nature? How do you grow a carbon nanotube if it's not organic...

Mhhh, This is done for children but it explains the process simply enough to understand, assuming you can get over the idiotic host. They grow "forests" of these things on a wafer and then stretch it out... and tada, you got nano tube fibers Why it grows in that particular configuration under a certain heat I dunno, but I guess it's got something to do with the heat and pure carbon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19nzPt62UPg

There are now other technologies that basically replace the forests by nano-tube goo (ie, instead of a waver that has a "forest" you cut that forest down and mix it so you have a goo like thing consisting of trillions of nanotubes jumbled together, using special machines they can produce nanofiber out of these nanotubes as they have the special property that they will "pull" on their neighbors, they will never, ever, cut a connection as long as you maintain certain angle and force constraints.

Last I heard we do this with other materials too (other martial than Carbon) but I can't find any links ;p

Btw... if you want to know why it grows like that. If you apply enough pressure and heat, even metal will form giant spike forests. Which is why they speculate that our earths core isn't liquid all the way, it's likely surrounded by an absurd looking insanely energetic iron "spike" forest (imagine trillions of metal spikes growing outward around the core, collecting more and more iron) until at some point the spin of the earth core will stop and with that, the iron will cool down and form a solid iron sphere.

If you wanna know more about that, there is a recent BBC (I think) thing where they travel to the earth core, near the end they speculate on how the earth core might look, and they explain why non-organic stuff grows like it does simply due to pressure and heat.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2013, 22:11.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > X Rebirth Trading Trailer
31. Re: X Rebirth Trading Trailer Sep 26, 2013, 21:43 eRe4s3r

Parias wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 19:06:
Quboid wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 18:48:

But then either they spend less time on other parts of the game, or throw more people at it which can cause more problems.

That's fair - at least as far as pre-release development goes.

Post-release however, I'd gladly pay money for an addon that enables multiplayer (when they have the resources to do it properly).

The community around x-games will never allow MP to become a feature or even a consideration, X games are SP Sandboxes, and they are bought for that quality! So it's a futile hope And I am tending to agree with that community, as to me a good SP game needs to be good in SP first and foremost. I have still massive doubts Star Citizens is gonna be so great as we have a lot of promises so far but 0 Information on how exactly SP will work.

And it always makes me doubtful when a game gets a LOT of coverage for it's MP but 0 coverage for it's SP. It usually means SP is gonna suck. And nothing ruins a game's SP more fundamentally than badly implemented COOP.

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 26, 2013, 10:54 eRe4s3r

Ah... mhh. That doesn't sound very inspiring. **I meant Bulldozer.. dunno where I got to Bulldog **

So basically for the next few years nothing groundbreaking new will come from AMD? No entirely fresh re-design? They'll just squeeze Bulldozer architecture dry? :/

Sigh, Well I guess my future upgrade path is gonna be to a Sandybridge-E cpu then. Still waiting what the next "TICK" from Intel is gonna be. Beyond Haswell, hoping for a true desktop CPU again, but then.. Intel is in no hurry given that the I7 of the previous gen is still the most powerful CPU there is...

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 26, 2013, 01:32 eRe4s3r

Heh, AMD's mantle is gonna be interesting, assuming it's 100% hardware agnostic... but what interests me more is what AMD plans to do with it's failed CPU line up... are they really gonna continue the Bulldog architecture?  

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Trailer
5. Re: Unreal 4 Trailer Sep 26, 2013, 01:22 eRe4s3r

I just hope in this Engine iteration they manage to make FOV not a fixed fucking constant in some encrypted INI. And yes, even games nowadays still do this SHIT. And speaking of shit, would be nice if Unreal Engine 4 games could detect my DESKTOP resolution and USE IT. Instead of going for some random default like Unreal Engine 3 does, and then not listing all available resolutions in the god damned drop down. Or having a refresh rate setting.

*rant over* ;p

News Comments > NVIDIA: "No Longer Possible" for Consoles to Better PC Graphics
50. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 18:18 eRe4s3r

Yosemite Sam wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 15:39:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 10:38:
While what Nvidia says is true, in reality the best GPU isn't gonna mean shit if you need 1000 artists employed for 3 to 5 years to make a big AAA title.

What's limiting graphics isn't the GPU, it's the cost, time and manpower needed to make that superior looking gfx...

There is no ecomony of scale when it comes to modeling or texturing.

Wait what? , what Nvidia is saying is BS, consoles have never been better GFX platforms then PCs, it's impossible because PCs set the curve not consoles. Shit the PS4 isnt out yet and is already technically behind the curve.

Artists assets? do you not understand how GFX cards work? assets are only half the picture. What we see on the screen is run through a gauntlet of built in filters that work to completely transform the look of assets within a video game. MSAA, SSAO, HDR, AF, depth of field, blending, tessellation ect ect ect. All these things improve the look of a game regardless of the artists assets.

GTA5 sure would look a hell of a lot better with just some anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, the most basic of GFX functionality, and that has nothing to do with artists and everything to do with power which the PC will always dominate... hell I recently played through F:NV and ran a mod(ENB)that did absolutely nothing to the assets of the game but made it look way way better.

You bring GTA5 in against my argument that good graphics will always cost insane amounts of money and not be limited by the GPU? THE MOST EXPENSIVE GAME EVER MADE? Yeah it would look better on PC, everything does in fact. And that is because GPU's on PC are powerful, but GTA5 would not look like it does if they hadn't put insane amounts of money and time into it.

So whatever you were reading there, read it again. GPU's are not limiting your graphics on PC, what's limiting graphics is that making good graphics costs insane amounts of money and time. And consoles are where you make that money BACK if you are lucky. GTA 5 would sell good on PC no doubt, but not nearly good enough to make a profit.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2013, 18:25.

News Comments > PC Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag "Comparable" to Next-Gen
1. Re: PC Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Sep 24, 2013, 15:27 eRe4s3r

You gotta admit that Ubisoft has a great nose for doing what their players want. People loved the ship sections in AC3 and nearly everyone I know was impressed simply how they FELT. It felt physical and visceral in a way no other game ever managed to pull off. And for me it was the best part about the game and I was sad when they were over.

Now to make an entire game around that seems to me like a superb idea. Also a ninja pirate, that's a bonus

42. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 15:21 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 12:52:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 10:38:
While what Nvidia says is true, in reality the best GPU isn't gonna mean shit if you need 1000 artists employed for 3 to 5 years to make a big AAA title.

What's limiting graphics isn't the GPU, it's the cost, time and manpower needed to make that superior looking gfx...

Have you seen Rome II?? Which console game looks half as good?

I dunno, I don't own a console But that wasn't my point anyway... it's not about the GPU, it's about how much money publishers put into AAA titles that decides how they look. Also while Rome 2 looks great, it also runs like shit.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2013, 15:28.

News Comments > Battlefield Bad Company 2 Offline?
15. Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 Offline? Sep 24, 2013, 15:19 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 13:05:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 12:38:

So no, dedi server wouldn't help here, but it'd be nice to have for other situations and reasons....

Yep, I'm aware of the master server issue but I also remember the past when I could directly connect to servers or use clients like Hamachi in some games to get around these problems. Ah for simpler days again.

True enough... I still remember how much I hated valve when they switched from WON to their stupid steam client. It made lan parties a MAJOR hassle. Back then with BNC cables and before the age of always on internet...

10. Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 Offline? Sep 24, 2013, 12:38 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 12:32:
Paketep wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 11:10:
That's the price of paying for a game without LAN support or public server files. You're at the mercy of EA. Good luck with that.

Indeed, outages like this make the case for publicly available dedicated binary releases.

Which wouldn't do much in this situation as ranked matches would still require the master-auth server to be up besides your dedicated server. If auth server is down, nobody could play. Assuming the game/server enforces valid keys and accounts (to prevent pirates from playing online).

So no, dedi server wouldn't help here, but it'd be nice to have for other situations and reasons....

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Raven Legacy Of A Master Thief Final Chapter
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Raven Legacy Of A Master Thief Final Chapter Sep 24, 2013, 12:34 eRe4s3r

It's a very well made point and click adventure  

6. Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 Offline? Sep 24, 2013, 11:24 eRe4s3r

They already said that it's a technical failure.. not a shutdown.  

5. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 10:38 eRe4s3r

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
11. Re: Sunday Interviews Sep 22, 2013, 23:11 eRe4s3r

NewMaxx wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 22:32:
ItBurn wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 21:56:
My opinion on the Witcher games is that they actually kinda suck. But the decisions you make are so hard and impactful that near the end of the game, you're very involved and get really into it. Plus the story really ties together only at the end. Basically, it hurts to play it, but after completing it, you're glad you did :p

Well said.

They're overrated. It's not surprising considering the audience, the readership of the books, the attitude of the story. It appeals to a specific mindset that happens to be a loud champion of its cause, but it really signifies nothing. Do I really identify with the protagonist, or do I just wish I could? This is a deep divide that to me was never satisfied. A good story, yes, but I can get that anywhere...the sub-par RPG mechanics are the only thing that kept me truly interested.

I realize I am in a minority by those statements which is why I hesitate to reply, but your comments are illuminating. The games are worth playing, for a variety of reasons. As an adventure game it is quite interesting, but otherwise the RPG elements...they are just laborious. Those who say otherwise should just shirk themselves over to a console (Dark Souls comes to mind) and be done with it, because they both feel very much at home there.

Any true, PC-borne RPG fan knows that the Witcher is at best a pale imitation and really just tries to tickle the fancy of those pseudo-intellectuals who want to seem current. It's ironic since their intent is curiously on the contrary...to seem retrograde...which is all the more reason for me to have distaste.

This is surely not an minority opinion. I pre-ordered Witcher 2 and loved it (for reasons) after they patched the retarded aspect ratio and fov, even modded it to some extend, but I could sign your post 100%.

I would even go so far as to not call it an RPG at all. To me it always felt more like a "choose your path" visual novel with tacked on combat and optional RPG elements. And the FOV issues as well as Aspect Ratio issues screamed CONSOLE from the mountains well before they announced a console version.

The Witcher 2 fails at making you identify with the protagonist. Because you are not role playing anything here, you are playing Geralt and nothing you do will make him a better or worse person. This is a problem with these far reaching monumental decisions... they disconnect you from the avatar you are playing because the decisions are greater than him and they never come back to haunt him specifically.

A strong contrast is in ME3, and however much you may hate on Bioware writing, ME3 has several high profile decisions that come DIRECTLY back to haunt you and connect you to the avatar you are playing. It was your decision, and you decided how it was carried out. Even if you don't have a choice THAT it is carried out one or the other way, you still had a tangible directional effect on the decision.

I dunno if the Witcher source books offer nothing else or what it is, but I find the "scope" of this fantasy world too small or too large. There is never really any part in Witcher 2 where you truly identify with any of the characters and their situations, or connect with Geralt. Well, for me it was the case anyway. But I suffered through that, and the stupid combat and silly boss fights, and the ending was worth it more or less.

But Witcher 2 is definitely not a paragon of RPG goodness. I'd say it isn't even a particularly good game when you come down to the basics.....

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2013, 23:24.

News Comments > Saturday Patches
7. Re: Saturday Patches Sep 22, 2013, 21:17 eRe4s3r

What's this with rocks? I love rocks, do you want a Rhodesian or a Basalt rock?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 22, 2013, 21:15 eRe4s3r

Fibrocyte wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 15:49:
siapnar wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 14:16:
Anyone tried State of Decay?

It seems odd to me to purchase/play a single-player only game before it is complete. For multiplayer I get it because there is a higher potential for replayability.

This is what got me with Take On: Mars, these screens that pop up say "missing content" but what exactly is that content? And would it warrant replaying the game again for it? Mhhhh

(Sidenote: I got that game for like.. 5 .. so wee, beautiful mars exploration game. But not sure where the gameplay is... although it was fun for plenty of hours )

Also Godus is in the top 3 but if people buy that from word of mouth they must be reading and watching other channels than I do. Which is a bit surprising. All the review youtubers slammed it so hard that Molyneux's ego is still shaking.

News Comments > Saturday Patches
1. Re: Saturday Patches Sep 21, 2013, 21:13 eRe4s3r

NS 2 patch 257 is now out.. fixing a game breaking issue that patch 256 introduced..

And this be why you never release patches for an MP game on fridays.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 21, 2013, 20:51 eRe4s3r

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 07:12:
Prolly not the best phone to get if your a druglord, pedophile, terrorist, top 10 most wanted. Other then that, its not gonna matter as if someone wants your data, they're gonna get it, be it android, windows, ios phones.

That said, itunes is the deal breaker for me /w apple phones.

You are apparently under the amusing impression that the NSA uses all this data that it obtains to fight crime....

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 20, 2013, 16:12 eRe4s3r

Dmitri_M wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 15:56:
I haven't really followed this Snowden thing much but what's the big deal with an intelligence agency intelligencing?

Maybe that the US signed a binding treaty with the EU that basically said "We don't spy if you don't spy" ?

Maybe that the UK is a EU member, and as such FORBIDDEN by CONTRACT and LAW to spy on EU member states?

Or that the US put bugs in the EU Embassy, which is so illegal and absurd (Anti terrorism espionage in the EU embassies?) that the EU was pissed.

Or that economic espionage is illegal in nearly all nations on this planet?

Just a few reasons why it's a big deal.

Of course, we can do nothing against this, it's politicians duty to protect their citizens. And the real big deal is that they apparently all knew this, and thus violated their oath. (It's about non US politicians by the way)

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 20, 2013, 13:08 eRe4s3r

Belgium can bring this to the highest EU courts if they choose. Let's hope they do....  

6284 Comments. 315 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo