Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 8191 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
14. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 5, 2015, 09:56 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 09:01:
That monitor has all of the features I'm looking for, if only it was offered by anyone but Acer.

What is so terrible about Acer? Either way, if it ain't a low persistence screen it's not even worth to contemplate. OLED or BUST

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jan 4, 2015, 15:01 eRe4s3r

http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

Watch it NAU

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
18. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 4, 2015, 04:37 eRe4s3r

Quboid wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 18:30:

It's almost like a comic strip can't actually settle a complicated issue. Who'd have thunk it?!

Indeed Anyway, again sorry for leading into the discussion with so much flames. That comic really pissed me off the wrong way but that is no excuse. That comic (And the added text on the site) just came about as something extremely selectively callous. Which I think is a huge disservice when fighting sexism and the general objectification of genders in media. And when I say fighting, what I really mean is that there needs to be more diversity and options, not that I want to ban or forbid anything.

16. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 3, 2015, 16:34 eRe4s3r

Quboid wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 14:48:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 13:07:
Quboid wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 11:12:
There's a difference between sexy and sexually objectification. If a game clothes female characters to emphasis their T&A and the camera lingers there during cutscenes, and clothes males in practical clothing and focuses on their actions, then that game is sexist and reversing the argument doesn't change what the creator, regardless of what they intended, actually created.

There is zero difference ~.~

[...]

explain please why my perception is worth less just because I am a male and why I can't complain about the portrayal of males in video games and their objectification

[...]

Why do you think that your gender has anything to do with what I said?

Maybe I am reading too much into your post And I will happily admit that this is very much a possibility.

You are referencing comic #9 are you not? Comic 9 has specifically the point that men MUST not complain about this:

"If a game clothes male characters to emphasis their muscles and the camera lingers there during cutscenes, and clothes females in practical clothing and focuses on their actions."
and females/males may only complain about this:

"If a game clothes female characters to emphasis their T&A and the camera lingers there during cutscenes, and clothes males in practical clothing and focuses on their actions."

In fact it goes so far to only grant females the right to call something (relating females) sexist.

Anyway, maybe I really read more into your post than you intended. I simply can't understand what you mean with what you said without making it sound like you are saying that men can not (are not allowed to) find their own portrayal in media sexist... (like the comic #9 says and claims). I mean, when something relating to the genders is constantly stereo-typed in media, then that is sexist and objectification to me.

I guess I didn't help my case by making my posts in this tree a bit more inflammatory than they had to be. Sorry, I blame holiday stress +.+

11. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 3, 2015, 13:07 eRe4s3r

Quboid wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 11:12:
I don't agree with comic #9. I've barely heard anyone claim that male characters are objectified (I was going to call it a strawman argument but evidently it's not), the argument I have seen more is that male characters are also depicted unrealistically - but not sexually objectified.

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 04:09:
Icewind wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 18:21:
Smells like that article was written by an SJW.

The last example (Muscle men not same as sexy women) is the primary proof you need to know this is typical SJW bullshit. Because of course a muscled hulk hogan men in every game is fucking SEXIST. No matter who's power-fantasy it is. Sexism is not defined by what the the creator intents!

This is superb argument reversal that you always see by SJW's "Oh, men can't be hurt by this, because it's their power fantasy!" as if every men wants to be hulk hogan. Or do you think all women want to be ugly and fat? You telling me there is no women that wants to look sexy? And suddenly when it's a man, that is no longer true? But when it's men it's ok, and when it's women it's evil?

I hate SJW's

There's a difference between sexy and sexually objectification. If a game clothes female characters to emphasis their T&A and the camera lingers there during cutscenes, and clothes males in practical clothing and focuses on their actions, then that game is sexist and reversing the argument doesn't change what the creator, regardless of what they intended, actually created.

There is zero difference ~.~

You do the same thing as these SJW's, you claim that my opinion that something is sexist is worth less because I am male and thus for some reason I am confusing a power-fantasy and objectification. Which makes no sense.

Either you agree that we are all human beings, that subjectively find different things annoying to our own perception, or you do what you did there. You blur the line of argumentation by confusing that the ONLY requirement for something to be sexist is that someone finds it sexist. No matter the gender!

And I find the portrayal of men in video games sexist. Your argument against that? What I think is Irrelevant because I am a man! Yay If that is not what you tried to say there then explain please why my perception is worth less just because I am a male and why I can't complain about the portrayal of males in video games and their objectification.

Either equality for all, or nothing.

Ps.: At least, that is what I *think* the comic is about. It wants to shut-down legitimate dialog by only making a females opinion worth anything. And I won't have that! That is not equality.

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2015, 13:15.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Did anyone read the Story link? Jan 3, 2015, 09:58 eRe4s3r

Don't click any of these Story/Science/Media links if you want to maintain your faith in humanity. Because after clicking on that Taken story, I want nuclear war, and after clicking on that selfie prank, I want it now. And after that KID dollar store thing, I want that kid to be right at the center of the first blast.  

News Comments > Chaos Ride Begins
11. Re: Chaos Ride Begins Jan 3, 2015, 09:08 eRe4s3r

with optional support for Oculus Rift VR headsets

Uh.. I think will pass on EVER trying VR with a game like this The spinning will make you hilariously sick (And that's fact, lot's of flight-simmers say that spinning/rolling is feels so absurdly unnatural that your brain fights you back if you try to do it.

They might as well call this "Barf support"

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 3, 2015, 04:09 eRe4s3r

Icewind wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 18:21:
Smells like that article was written by an SJW.

The last example (Muscle men not same as sexy women) is the primary proof you need to know this is typical SJW bullshit. Because of course a muscled hulk hogan men in every game is fucking SEXIST. No matter who's power-fantasy it is. Sexism is not defined by what the the creator intents!

This is superb argument reversal that you always see by SJW's "Oh, men can't be hurt by this, because it's their power fantasy!" as if every men wants to be hulk hogan. Or do you think all women want to be ugly and fat? You telling me there is no women that wants to look sexy? And suddenly when it's a man, that is no longer true? But when it's men it's ok, and when it's women it's evil?

I hate SJW's

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 2, 2015, 15:15 eRe4s3r

Julio wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 13:07:
At least they extended the PS+ subscriptions to make up for the downtime. I wasn't expecting anything, customer service is in the toilet these days.

I think the developers that got pwned by this (both on MS and SONY side) that lost many thousands of sales over xmas are far worse off.. but if they gave you extra time on the subscription that's more than I expected from Sony... a lot more

News Comments > Not Even One "M" in Square Enix MMOGs
13. Re: Not Even One Jan 2, 2015, 15:05 eRe4s3r

JeffD wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 14:28:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 13:22:
Is FF14 worth to try now if you, say, like me, were burnt out from WOW style mmo's years ago?

F14 tends to include most of the same styles and features that WoW, GW2, and RIFT has brought. I don't think ff14 can claim to introduce anything new. Spells and the world itself are still heavily final fantasy influenced. The game does tend to be a little grindy, and what I mean is you have an excellent single player quest line for your first class to reach 50, but if you opt to level up new classes on the same character, your quest will dry up ( plus no main quest line) and you are forced to use guildleves (repeatable questlines) and FATEs (dynamic spawning events) ontop of the usual dungeon crawls.

End game gear catchup is good, but not quite as good as WoW's raid finder system which helps you jump right into securing end game gear. Ditto with the legendary weapon quest that all classes have, many of the older tiers of the questline have been made easier, but the later steps consist of a considerable grind. (and not a retarded tradeskill grind like GW2).

IMO, if you liked WoW but just got tired of the same content, you will like ff14. The game carries many features that help make leveling challenging and keep you visiting low levels areas. One of my peeves with wow was every expansion was breaking the leveling game more and more, making it braind dead easy and dull, and this has not effected FF14 yet.

Oh and don't count on much pvp, it is there as like 4 on 4 groups, but that is the extend of it. Square does balance things out by modifying pve spells in arenas like Guild Wars does, but there is nothing outside of arena style combat. There is pvp gear, but no special stat like resiliance.

So what kind of quests are the main thing here? FCK? (Fetch/Collect/Kill)? and most importantly... how is the atmosphere in the game community wise? Are there epic quest-lines that you can solo? How is loot sharing handled? Or is loot instanced per player?

From what you say so far that sounds more like the kind of stuff that pushed me away from WoW (way back, before the first expansion so.. raid finder etc is unknown to me ,p) I didn't really get tired of WoW content, i got tired of the FCK quest style that permeated through the entire game and inane grind to get enough gold for this or that on the AH... well, and I have my doubts I would find a friendly dude or gal to literally quest through the entire game (had that with WoW back them, without that I'd have zero motivation).

News Comments > Not Even One "M" in Square Enix MMOGs
9. Re: Not Even One Jan 2, 2015, 13:22 eRe4s3r

Is FF14 worth to try now if you, say, like me, were burnt out from WOW style mmo's years ago?  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 2, 2015, 10:59 eRe4s3r

A 10% coupon isn't actually an apology.. that's like saying hey, pay me 45$ instead of 50$ to make me say sorry (when I am really not).

News Comments > Euro Truck Simulator 2 OS X Beta
3. Re: Euro Truck Simulator 2 OS X Beta Jan 2, 2015, 05:34 eRe4s3r

I wish they would fix the insane traffic AI first. I mean, I guess it's realistic? But during night with strong storm (So you could barely see shit) suddenly 3 !!! cars came towards me.. on the WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD.

That.. that is impressive if intentionally.. but very annoying nontheless. Especially when AI over-takes I actually saw it happen that the AI misjudges speed and ends up causing a giant car accident in front of me, while OVERTAKING ME.

Ps.: And of course, in these situations I get punished (3x400 fee) + nearly 20% damage, because that accident happened next to me, so the car slammed (being hit by another truck) into the load

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2015, 07:57.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Server "Strike" Plans
46. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Jan 2, 2015, 02:21 eRe4s3r

Trevellian wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 18:12:
Endo wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 15:42:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 14:34:
I just want another AAA title FPS where we operate the servers and we make the rules. I don't need 100 levels of permanent unlocks and perks nor any other ways for them to suck money out of me (DLC map packs).

Wolf:ET was awesome for this.. unlocks were based on total progress throughout a campaign. Each campaign had about 5-6 maps or so. After the campaign ended, the stats reset for everyone. We made maps, we made mods and we ran the servers.

I know that the new Blizzard game wont allow that.. maybe something else will come down the pipe which will
I don't think it likely we'll ever see a AAA FPS like that again. See the problem with good FPS's like that is they have too much longevity. They need people to move on from them quickly so they can sell them the next iteration a year or two later with minimal investment. No, any remaining good FPS we'll see will come from indie devs. AAA FPS are now marketed for the masses, aka gamer 'jocks' who just buy and play games because they're cool and all their cool friends do.

Wolfenstein New Order would like a word with you. It is AAA, it is FPS. It needs no stick dangling, it has a spectacularly well done story and environment. The game is fun, has no DLC. Beatufiul graphics, fantastic gunplay. Multiple ways to play through the levels as well as slightly alternate storys through the game depending on a decision made by the player.

The AAA FPS is not dead, most people just overlooked it this year. Hands down the best FPS Experience I've had since Half Life.

This entire topic, when saying FPS, really means MP FPS ,) SP wise there is no shortage of FPS games... the problems start with Multiplayer ,)

14. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 1, 2015, 16:08 eRe4s3r

Endo wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 15:42:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 14:34:
I just want another AAA title FPS where we operate the servers and we make the rules. I don't need 100 levels of permanent unlocks and perks nor any other ways for them to suck money out of me (DLC map packs).

Wolf:ET was awesome for this.. unlocks were based on total progress throughout a campaign. Each campaign had about 5-6 maps or so. After the campaign ended, the stats reset for everyone. We made maps, we made mods and we ran the servers.

I know that the new Blizzard game wont allow that.. maybe something else will come down the pipe which will
I don't think it likely we'll ever see a AAA FPS like that again. See the problem with good FPS's like that is they have too much longevity. They need people to move on from them quickly so they can sell them the next iteration a year or two later with minimal investment. No, any remaining good FPS we'll see will come from indie devs. AAA FPS are now marketed for the masses, aka gamer 'jocks' who just buy and play games because they're cool and all their cool friends do.

I think you hit the nail on the head ,/ In the end, we don't want a good FPS, we want a good moddable PLATFORM for FPS with good netcode and admin tools, dedicated servers and some form of skill based auto-team balance, so pubs aren't the shit-fest they are in BF games

And we'll never get that. The big publishers will never stop milking their cash-cows. Hardline is just Battlefield 4.5 when you think about it. COD is identical to every COD except for minuscule details. And aside these 2 franchises there is really not a lot else on PC. Just tons even worse FPS (f2p...)

Heck, you can't even list Unreal Tournament with the next one being F2P. And Sector 8 prejudice was just.. well yeah. Aptly named

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Researchers: We can detect life on other worlds through its [sic] vibrations Jan 1, 2015, 14:27 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 16:06:
It was roughly 30 years ago since I last took any German classes in school, so I happily attribute the snafu to my failing memory.

And the cases were fucking nightmare for me. I didn't have an issue with making sentences and figuring out tenses and proper grammar etc, since Dutch and German are quite a bit alike anyway, but after I'd written the sentence I'd always have to spend like a minute trying to figure out the proper fucking case.

It's one of these things that you have to literally live through for 10+ years to get around I think, and then even some Germans never learn them properly I don't even *think* about cases in normal German language usage... I know the flow of the language well enough that I can basically jerry rig my way through it. Much like I do with English. And this is why I absolutely DETEST French btw.... because there you simply can not do that. Nothing is written the way it is spoken ;p

But I am super glad English does not have these cases. I mean, the hardest thing about English is basically just whether it's, its or their/there (and certain words that have extreme irregular forms) and what part of a sentence is the damn object. Seriously, I sometimes have to read a text 50 times to understand what the defining part of the sentence is and what an adjective might define.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 1, 2015, 11:00 eRe4s3r

Barely 10000 computers in that country and only in university pc rooms or the high echelon of that regime.. so what's the point? Someone caught watching that might as well jump down a cliff with their entire family... not worth it imo.  

1. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 1, 2015, 10:56 eRe4s3r

Good, and about damn time.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 31, 2014, 18:57 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 17:30:
Let's hope this starts a domino effect of nabbing those assholes. No plea bargains, just straight to Pound-Me-In-The-Ass-Prison to serve as examples of 'don't be a dick just because you can',

Not often I agree with you, but this is one of these things where I do.. fuck these guys, drone strike them or whatever. They did this for commercial reasons to damage infrastructure and hurt companies and service providers, they are terrorists, plain and simple.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 31, 2014, 18:37 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 17:26:
Why not just use that instant battery charging tech that Israeli company is working on?

Metal snakes that emerge from walls man.. metal snakes ... That's pretty damn metal

8191 Comments. 410 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo