Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 6628 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Two Tribes Reboots
1. Re: Two Tribes Reboots Jan 8, 2014, 11:30 eRe4s3r

Nhhh.. I liked Toki Tori 2 and that has an insane amount of content.. the problem is it's a game only like 1 in 1000 people will ever bother to check out. It's a platform puzzle game sort of.. very cute, but also extremely difficult.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > John Carmack Developing Oculus VR Games
4. Re: John Carmack Developing Oculus VR Games Jan 8, 2014, 11:23 eRe4s3r

JohnBirshire wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 11:17:
These VR headsets were a "craze" 15 years ago, then they disappeared. Suddenly they are reappearing a few years ago, and still only a handful of people seem to care.

Plenty of people care But there is only so much you can do without seeing how the "real" product will be.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?
49. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 8, 2014, 11:18 eRe4s3r

SimplyMonk wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:23:
Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:40:
It's basically an adequate storefront with schizophrenic client software. Like most things EA does these days, it feels very poorly thought out and half assed.

It wasn't an instantaneous money maker that made it rain so it went on the back burner and isn't being prioritized.

Maybe because everything on there is on average 30% more expensive....

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
11. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 8, 2014, 11:17 eRe4s3r

Atomic wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 10:47:
Anyone notice that the URL for the article states "How the US almost killed the internet"? Interesting editorial change, there.

Wired.com also has 20 trackers on their site.... ghostery blocks them, but that's abhorrently many. Most of any site I ever seen.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 8, 2014, 09:18 eRe4s3r

What I don't get is how the people working at the NSA can live with themselves... well clearly Snowden couldn't just let it stay like that. But he is the only one with a spine in that entire apparatus?  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking
49. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 09:01 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 08:16:
I get what you are talking about, but you are talking about an optimal frame rate. Very few games today run at these rates on our 'normal' 2d monitors. Do the games really have to run at 60 FPS per eye for the Virtual Reality 'trick' to kick in? As far as I know games on a standard screen play and look okay from 25 frames and upwards.

Basically you need to render two images instead of one per pass, so at the worst we will need double the graphics power for the same resolution that we used to on our normal monitors.

Ive got a 760 GTX Im pretty happy with right now, another one in SLI mode might do the trick when the Oculus shows its ugly face. If it isnt, Im going to be happy to upgrade to whatever will be required. There is no reason to think that Nvidia and AMD wont be up to the challenge presented by doubling the power requirement.

As I understood the details so far for VR you want to be steadily beyond 60 fps. And steady meaning it may not matter whether 79 or 90. As long as both eye viewpoints are at EXACTLY the same frame-rate and that frame-rate is well above 60

And yeah, having 2 GPU's is what this is going to be about when all is said and done.

News Comments > Morning Previews
5. Re: Morning Previews Jan 8, 2014, 08:50 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:37:
Well, it's not that confusing but I agree it's a silly system. That aside really like what I'm seeing so far. Can't wait for the full game and see what the community does with the editor!!!

Well I went over the top with my post with confusion but I simply find this system beyond silly, I finally put it in a post on larian forums there.... you can hate it or post in it or what not ;p

Larian Forums my rant about the dualogue system

So apparently this is in planning to be changed as well... weee!

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2014, 11:14.

45. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 07:56 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 06:40:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 05:58:
Jensen wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 03:47:
InBlack wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 03:20:
entr0py wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 01:43:
Ah, he side stepped the only thing I care about, resolution. I don't care about how organic and decomposable the display is. I only care that it doesn't look like SVGA graphics from 20 years ago.

This is indeed the biggest issue. The native resolution has to be at least 1080p, anything else and playing sims with this gear will be impossible. Well not impossible, but fucked up all the same. If I cant read the gauges in my cockpit or see the bogey out of my cockpit I might as well be flying blindfolded...
They've already confirmed that the consumer display will be at least 1080P. That will still seem very pixelated in a Rift. 1440P phone screens should be coming this year, and Samsung has said that they are working on a 4k phone display for 2015.

I think it's pretty funny you guys are focusing on resolution, forgetting you want to play games on that thing. The problem is not resolution, the problem is you need to run games at 120*2 fps because you have 2 viewpoints. There may be optimization possible but even then, you are looking at a massive new GPU investment to ever run a game on the rift "optimal". You can pray to the seven hardware gods that the resolution won't increase. Because beyond 1080p no GPU on this planet runs a modern game at 120fps.... and that's assuming you want 60fps per eye.. and not 120 as it is optimal.

What the hell are you talking about? Are you talking about the frames per second or the refresh rate? Because these are not equivalent.

The refresh rate of 120Hz is a function of the screen and not really tied to the performance of the graphics card.

Ehm.. last I checked I said FPS like 5 times... I am talking about actual image rendered by your GPU. optimal for VR is 120 images per second per EYE Which the OR should be able to do, except on 1 panel (so half horizontal res). This means you need to render a game TWICE at 120fps for 8ms delay (at the resolution of 960x1080), or twice at 60fps if you want 16ms delay. The OR currently says it runs at 90hz (meaning you can push up to 90 fps per eye) but who knows whether that's the maximum or just that they have problems running all this data. 4k resolution is also an INSANE data volume. So there hardware reasons that limit resolution, aside from cost factors.

If you don't know how VR works I'd suggest reading the post by Valve about it. 60 fps is not 100% optimal... and even that not optimal frame rate needs to be rendered twice, at the same time with different viewports (which means aside from physics you can forget doing this without 2 dedicated GPU's) and these GPU's need to be in perfect sync with each other.

This is why they don't increase resolution beyond 1920x1080 .... 4k or rather 3840*2160 would require you to render a game at 1920*2160 ........ see the problem? How many games you know that run at 60 fps with such high resolutions? And with 2 viewpoints.... ? What about 90 fps? or 120?

You are hard pressed to find old games that run this fast even today, and even if you find games and settings that run at these speeds you would still be CPU bound, as Direct X and OpenGL add a HUGE layer of crap between GPU and GAME. Mantle might be a way to at least fix that problem.

Point is. Resolution is like the smallest least significant problem VR has. Frame rate and delay is what makes or fails VR.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2014, 08:08.

37. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 05:58 eRe4s3r

Jensen wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 03:47:
InBlack wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 03:20:
entr0py wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 01:43:
Ah, he side stepped the only thing I care about, resolution. I don't care about how organic and decomposable the display is. I only care that it doesn't look like SVGA graphics from 20 years ago.

This is indeed the biggest issue. The native resolution has to be at least 1080p, anything else and playing sims with this gear will be impossible. Well not impossible, but fucked up all the same. If I cant read the gauges in my cockpit or see the bogey out of my cockpit I might as well be flying blindfolded...
They've already confirmed that the consumer display will be at least 1080P. That will still seem very pixelated in a Rift. 1440P phone screens should be coming this year, and Samsung has said that they are working on a 4k phone display for 2015.

I think it's pretty funny you guys are focusing on resolution, forgetting you want to play games on that thing. The problem is not resolution, the problem is you need to run games at 120*2 fps because you have 2 viewpoints. There may be optimization possible but even then, you are looking at a massive new GPU investment to ever run a game on the rift "optimal". You can pray to the seven hardware gods that the resolution won't increase. Because beyond 1080p no GPU on this planet runs a modern game at 120fps.... and that's assuming you want 60fps per eye.. and not 120 as it is optimal.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2014, 06:03.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Russia Orders Drop 'Pirate' Jan 8, 2014, 00:04 eRe4s3r

Störtebecker Party ftw

-> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_St%C3%B6rtebeker

I'd call my party "Front against stupid politicians" or FASP

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Morning Previews Jan 7, 2014, 11:16 eRe4s3r

Gotta say, having played the pre alpha as well the "You talk for both" system is absolutely mindbogglingly stupid. Not just stupid, it is confusing because you never know who is talking to whom. And I mean that quite literally, you never know who is talking to whom in the current dialog system so it feels like you are talking to yourself and reading the script. It is a schizophrenic experience at best, and it is a lot less fun than it sounds

I think if you want to keep your sanity, a mod that removes the 2nd character and makes him/her a NPC is the only choice.

10. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 11:05 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:57:
Obligatory: I liked Fallout 3 better But yeah, when it comes down to it Bethesda is one of the few companies making games I actually enjoyed playing. Lots of time spent in Fallout 3 and NV with tons of mods. Though I gotta say.. the next game by Beth better be 64bit trough and through and not use Gamebryo

I don't really care what they use but they need to hire better animators and someone needs to revisit the combat engine. Loved Skyrim but those aspects are really showing their age.

Uh yeah.. the combat.. best let that (armored) horse lay dead.

News Comments > No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs
39. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 7, 2014, 11:02 eRe4s3r

nin wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 13:29:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 13:28:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:32:
Quinn wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:57:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:51:
Is the Definitive version the one where they remove most QTE's?

You obviously haven't played the game with that pre-release hipster attitude.

So it changes after the first 1/2 hour?

The first half hour is awful with QTEs everywhere. Once you get out into the world gameplay is more typical 3rd person action game, but there are still QTEs. I'm a couple hours in.

Laughing my ass off at "pre-release hipster attitude" comment...

Sidenote: The first QTE sequence .... I can understand when people drop the game just because of that. It was horrible. But it got a lot better later on...

News Comments > Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M
6. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 10:59 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:52:
Wildone wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:38:
There's lots of people in the SC who actively DO NOT WANT OR CARE about the Dogfighting/Space Combat! I MEAN WTF this is supposed to be a space combat game at its core?!? Elite Dangerous is already skooling SC becus they are focused on the core gameplay. Sure other stuff will come LATER but at least they got this right from the start. SC is gonna suffer because of the weird fan boy wants of SC

Thats only because you're assuming SC will get released at some point.

When Duke Nukem can do it.. so can this

7. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 10:57 eRe4s3r

Obligatory: I liked Fallout 3 better But yeah, when it comes down to it Bethesda is one of the few companies making games I actually enjoyed playing. Lots of time spent in Fallout 3 and NV with tons of mods. Though I gotta say.. the next game by Beth better be 64bit trough and through and not use Gamebryo  

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Jan 7, 2014, 10:41 eRe4s3r

Prez wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:10:
No problems here reading and enjoying Bluesnews on my Kindle Fire HD. Looks great, and it's not Apple, which is even better.

Yeah I don't have problems reading the site or even posting .... The problem was that I couldn't figure out how to block ads in android without root. But anyhow... Figured it out. Fdroid + adaware (of course... both needs root... so this is partially why I flashed to Cyanogenmod)

And sorry, but for my 7" tablet an ad that takes up 2 screens is unacceptable. * I increased font size default zoom level though.. so there is that too.. I read from a bit away ,p

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2014, 11:18.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Jan 7, 2014, 09:54 eRe4s3r

Fantaz wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 04:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 00:03:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 23:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 23:03:
Axis wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 22:16:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 22:08:
I keep it like Cutter, company engages in "sex sells" style ads and they won't sell shit to me. And I dunno where you live Axis, but here ads are generally way beyond that and try to sell to as many people as possible.

But then, I don't see a lot of ads.. not having a TV helps.

I agree eRe4. I was responding to the article's nonsense -- that's what they were attempting to portray not me, I was just using their lame examples.

The only ads I see anymore are on Hulu for my wife and I, which I can put up with since they have the timer and aren't long. And only occasionally as there's only a few shows I watch. I primarily do movies on Netflix (kids ONLY get Netflix) or Amazon, play Pandora most of the time.

Mhhh. Maybe we are not the ones to talk about it then. I am guessing the article talks about game advertising. And I don't see that in my browsing simply because I got paranoid and block everything

I am sure companies doing advertising would rather people do not react like that... but if they only want to target males that can be lured in with that.. ain't my place to complain about that.

Speaking of ads.. did I ever mention that bluesnews is completely non-browsable on a tablet without adblock?

Works excellent on Nexus 10.

non-browsable as in "the ads are obnoxious as hell" working it does fine, it just looks abhorrent with ads. Or maybe it was a specific ad that was doing it. But I had a 2 page break between days with the AD being in the middle.

Blue's News looks fucking amazing on an iPad Air. everyone should get one. 1 lb, feels so light, like reading a newspaper. Nexus 10? pfft...

The day I give Apple money is the day they pry it from my cold dead hands. Sidenote: I really gotta get around and install iptable blocklists on my tablet for adds... ain't no god damned way I waste 200mb Ram for Adblock.. what the hell is it doing with that much ram, design space ships??

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jan 7, 2014, 00:03 eRe4s3r

Sepharo wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 23:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 23:03:
Axis wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 22:16:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 22:08:
I keep it like Cutter, company engages in "sex sells" style ads and they won't sell shit to me. And I dunno where you live Axis, but here ads are generally way beyond that and try to sell to as many people as possible.

But then, I don't see a lot of ads.. not having a TV helps.

I agree eRe4. I was responding to the article's nonsense -- that's what they were attempting to portray not me, I was just using their lame examples.

The only ads I see anymore are on Hulu for my wife and I, which I can put up with since they have the timer and aren't long. And only occasionally as there's only a few shows I watch. I primarily do movies on Netflix (kids ONLY get Netflix) or Amazon, play Pandora most of the time.

Mhhh. Maybe we are not the ones to talk about it then. I am guessing the article talks about game advertising. And I don't see that in my browsing simply because I got paranoid and block everything

I am sure companies doing advertising would rather people do not react like that... but if they only want to target males that can be lured in with that.. ain't my place to complain about that.

Speaking of ads.. did I ever mention that bluesnews is completely non-browsable on a tablet without adblock?

Works excellent on Nexus 10.

non-browsable as in "the ads are obnoxious as hell" working it does fine, it just looks abhorrent with ads. Or maybe it was a specific ad that was doing it. But I had a 2 page break between days with the AD being in the middle.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 7, 2014, 00:01 eRe4s3r

mag wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 20:51:
nin wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 20:47:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 20:37:
Linksys resurrects classic blue router, with open source and $300 price.

You had me until 300.

Yeah, what a joke.

It's definitely out of my price range, but it's got pretty nice hardware. 1.2GHz processor, USB3, eSATA. This is enough to do routing and traffic shaping on your 100Mbps Google fiber connection, serve as a fileserver with an external eSATA hard drive, take care of all of your torrent-downloading without having your PC on, possibly work alright as a DLNA server, etc. etc.

By which I mean: This is not for you, if all you want is a gigabit switch hooked up to an 802.11n access point and a 20Mbps cable modem.

For 300$ I'd expect that thing to replace my NAS, Switch, Router and DSL Modem in one go.... but how would id possibly do that with 4 lan ports? I need 8 and I only do very few advanced things. For that money you could buy a great NAS and a superb switch....

News Comments > No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs
36. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 23:28 eRe4s3r

Square Enix doing as Square Enix does. No surprises there  

6628 Comments. 332 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo