Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 8584 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 15, 2015, 19:59 eRe4s3r

No but Ars headlines might  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 15, 2015, 19:45 eRe4s3r

Freaky wrote on Mar 15, 2015, 17:35:
For most NAS uses these drives will be awful. Any write to a shingled section that isn't just appending data to what's already there involves a full 256MB read-modify-write cycle, and without an SMR-aware filesystem chances are that will be most of them. We're talking single-digit IOPS here.

Enterprise customers with custom-written object-store filesystems, sure. Your home server, not so much :/

Just rereading that article makes me agree with you 100% didn't even realize that it was such an issue... I just saw helium and 10TB.. but the way writes work on this is a nightmare for normal use.

3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 15, 2015, 15:44 eRe4s3r

Fantaz wrote on Mar 15, 2015, 15:02:
everyone owns laptops/macbooks these days. bulky full-size desktop setups are fading into obscurity. no need for massive cases anymore unless you're a hardcore gamer, overclocker and/or data hoarder.

and for storage you could only use an external/NAS and just need an SSD drive in your system. runs cooler, quieter, and safer. (don't need to worry about physical bumps and drops for losing data as much.)

Well that I have a proper gaming rig kinda goes with being on bluesnews, no? I do have a tablet and for that I don't need a TB worth of storage. And tablet is superior to laptop. (imo)

And obviously for NAS a 10TB drive assembly would be absolutely fantastic. Not quite sold on "helium" in my HDD's though.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2015, 15:53.

News Comments > Valve on Improving Steam Customer Service
50. Re: Valve on Improving Steam Customer Service Mar 15, 2015, 14:47 eRe4s3r

Sempai wrote on Mar 15, 2015, 02:49:
I refuse to applaud this bullshit in anyway.

I was personally made an example of by these fucking cunts last year via a banned account, along with my paypal and credit card banned permanently for reversing ONE transaction in ten years of being a long standing customer due to them refusing a refund on yet another broken game. And this was after weeks of email tag with literally zero real dialogue from these fucking twats.

Steam, Gabe, and his entire crew of thug cunts over there at candyland customer service can eat a bag of wet dicks.

Sincerely, Fuck You.

PS. Sorry Blue, this subject still hits a nerve with me.

Go to a lawyer.. seriously. I remember you telling this last year, and I remember everyone telling you to get legal aid. Did you do that?

1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 15, 2015, 14:45 eRe4s3r

Thankfully I am running a desktop PC.. so who cares ? 10TB HDD ftw  

40. Re: Valve on Improving Steam Customer Service Mar 15, 2015, 00:25 eRe4s3r

Denthor wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 22:03:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 15:51:
This entire press release should be rated F, for failed attempt at hiding true meaning.

Your joking right?!? I thought that was exactly what a PR does, obscuring the truth behind a placard of half truths and misleading statements

I meant it more in the way that this press release fails at doing that. If I can tell that they don't give a damn then the PR is not doing it's job

In this instance 12 years of failed customer support speak volumes.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Mar 14, 2015, 20:24 eRe4s3r

If anything the articles reads as if the author doesn't actually play a lot of games. There are TONS of games that are reduced to their systems and abstract hard and everywhere. Most INDY games, many RTS, nearly every building SIM is like that. Puzzlers as well, even HOGS.  

News Comments > Hektor Released
2. Re: Hektor Released Mar 14, 2015, 20:10 eRe4s3r

MajorD wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 20:05:
..........you must overcome a psychosis brought on by years of torture and confinement to escape.

Sounds like a corporate America job.

Sounds like marriage

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
65. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 17:44 eRe4s3r

Biggest win is all aside that, that the game seems EXCEPTIONALLY well optimized, no idea how they do that, but I've seen a 80k citizen city on Twitch run at a steady 60 fps... that is downright devasting to stuff like Cities XL , which slows to a below 1fps crawl when you BUILD ROADS. And Sim City also has this performance problem  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Mar 14, 2015, 17:40 eRe4s3r

That DX HR graphics study is very interesting if you are into that sort of thing, but how the game does specular effects remains a mystery.

Someone should do this for Alien Isolation, now that's a game where the rendering passes would greatly interest me

6. Re: Valve on Improving Steam Customer Service Mar 14, 2015, 15:51 eRe4s3r

My experiences with Steam customer support were abysmal to downright mentally scarring.. so a F is kinda soft on Steam.

And I love the wording in this press release "think" "need"

Not "we are doing"

but rather

"we are thinking about doing something"

This entire press release should be rated F, for failed attempt at hiding true meaning.

55. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 10:50 eRe4s3r

If this game uses the same kind of traffic simulation as Sim Cities 5 then there is a *really* easy way to not get grid locked (This is how it worked in Cities in Motion too)

Always make right hand turns (if you can, 1 way) (If your traffic is right side). Right hand turns do not need stop lights when they are 1 way, and you can feed the return traffic back to your main thoroughfare in some other place, as long as it is a right hand turn. Use elevated roads etc for that. That's how it worked in Sim City and CiM and from streams I watched this seems to be the same here with Skylines. Especially when you connect "FROM" a highway to your road network you need to keep this in mind. Always connect to a roundabout, never directly to your street network.

And for inner city roads, you should consider building 2 1 way roads next to each other (opposite to each other in direction) And then feed your to and from traffic to that, always making sure that everything is a right hand turn for the traffic.

And if you can't seem to figure this out in your city planning, simply build a (large) roundabout. Roundabouts make sure that EVERY turn is a right hand turn (assuming you build them in the correct direction ,p). Meaning if you do this consequently you should not get a grid lock from traffic.

One of the primary reasons why grid locks happened in Sim Cities for example, was that you had too many 4 way intersections or 3 way with left turns on your main thoroughfare. And unlike in Skylines, in Sim City you had no place to cope with that and build proper dual lane road assemblies (And not the dual lane the game gives you) because if you want your roads to intersect, you need to carry the road over the main road so that it always is a right hand turn Which is requiring you to build ramps and elevated roads. Which was extremely fiddly in Sim City.. bleh

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2015, 10:56.

28. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 13, 2015, 21:16 eRe4s3r

Considering they promise to support this for years to come, here is hoping they add some more depth to the game In one the streams I watched there was a giant line of trucks going into the freight train station.. 1 by 1.. there must be a better solution than this? And the way some of the "uber" (no idea how you call them) buildings unlock, like the Eden Project and the Space Elevator are a bit bothersome.. but they don't seem to have nearly enough impact either.

Still one of the only decent city builders it seems... gonna get it at some point.. when I cleared my current backlog ;(

News Comments > X Rebirth Patch & Linux Alpha
7. Re: X Rebirth Patch & Linux Alpha Mar 13, 2015, 11:52 eRe4s3r

Utterly boring game, missing features, still my greatest disappointment of the decade. And even if you get 30 hours in, it evolves never beyond a "waiting simulation" with the lack of time acceleration even more so than in X3... how sad is that...

And even in 3.50 they did not fix path finding around stations, so have fun hunting ships through station geometry, stuck in them, or have your freighters do loops around a docking port. And the expansion is badly balance mess on top.

Still can't get over how hyped I was for this. And even after a few dozen patches, this game is a empty husk devoid of anything that made X3 AP/TC great, but it has on top many things that specifically make rebirth a lot worse.

News Comments > Starship Ahoy - Sid Meier's Starships
2. Re: Starship Ahoy - Sid Meier's Starships Mar 12, 2015, 23:17 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 19:56:
$11 at GMG. Totes worth it.

User reviews disagree with your assessment

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Confirmed
17. Re: Titanfall 2 Confirmed Mar 12, 2015, 22:51 eRe4s3r

I don't know if I can consider Titanfall 1 to be a game I got my moneys worth from. 49 hours is all I got out of it. It was different, and it was fun, at first. But the (release) maps were too small, the gameplay was always the same. small scale of the matches and the horrid engine with physics/netcode issues didn't help.

And with the first map pack the game was defacto dead. Because the hosting made it so that you COULDN'T FRIGGIN SELECT TO ONLY PLAY ON NORMAL MAP ROTATIONS. So yeah, Titanfall 2 ? Good joke.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Mar 12, 2015, 22:29 eRe4s3r

Always have a towel on hand.. RIP Terry Pratchett  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 12, 2015, 22:20 eRe4s3r

Considering that people in the UK had to engage into legal battles to get the promised refunds I'd call that Interview several magnitudes too tame!

By the way.. that War for the OVerworld Interview has a real headscratcher!

During Kickstarter we spoke about that (Mod Support). Several of our team members came from mods, so we really wanted to have modding support in the game; good robust modding support. When we knuckled down to actually start building in Unity, the actual final project. We just came to the conclusion that it wasnít going to work. Unity just isnít built that way, unfortunately.

And yet another Unity game, mysteriously called Kerbal Space Program.. has about 6000 mods. Including DLL mods and VERY complex gameplay modfying mods, even physic mods. So Unity isn't made for this? Is that a joke?

News Comments > Space Colony: Steam Edition Announced
3. Re: Space Colony: Steam Edition Announced Mar 12, 2015, 16:02 eRe4s3r

Steam workshop support but only for maps.. not for mods ;/  

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
15. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 10:36 eRe4s3r

Pigeon wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 09:35:
Prez wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 09:31:
Well Star Citizen does everything big - big promises, big coffers, big development time - so I am disappointed that the client is only going to be 100GB. Maybe it can be a stretch goal to get it up above a terabyte.

The first game to be sold pre-installed on a hard-drive

You are joking, but a USB drive delivery option seems like a good idea. 100GB is a mighty big download.

8584 Comments. 430 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo