Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 8152 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 31, 2014, 18:37 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 17:26:
Why not just use that instant battery charging tech that Israeli company is working on?

Metal snakes that emerge from walls man.. metal snakes ... That's pretty damn metal

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2014, 17:50 eRe4s3r

New year.. happy? we'll see  

News Comments > EA: No Origin Breach
14. Re: EA: No Origin Breach Dec 31, 2014, 15:19 eRe4s3r

Redmask wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 13:12:
Creston wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 12:40:
Necrophob wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 11:32:
Change your pw regularly, use randomly generated pw, use keypass, and keep the keypass datafile on a usb (pw wallets are the new target).

Keypass only integrates in browsers though, doesn't it? It wouldn't auto-populate your random password in Origin/Uplay/Steam for you?

Yeah. I just copy and paste from the vault, both remember your shit for awhile anyway.

Would be nice if Lastpass and Keypass would somehow be able to integrate into Steam/origin/paypal/uPlay etc... because I have the same problem when trying to pay via paypal.. in Steam.. I am supposed to enter my password in a field that is not supported by lastpass. And pasting my paypal password in that box does not make me feel secure ,/

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Dec 31, 2014, 14:58 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 14:29:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 14:26:
And an OBE is.. what? Article did not actually say

Because there isn't a British person alive unaware of what it is, and it's a British website covering a very distinctively British action.

Yeah, but what IS IT ;p

29. Re: Researchers: We can detect life on other worlds through its [sic] vibrations Dec 31, 2014, 14:58 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 12:06:
(Eraser, did this change or something? I seem to remember me having learned a different table in school. Der Des Dem Den; Die Der Den Die; Das Des Dem Das as the first three? Probably my memory is just faulty. The weird thing is that if you google it, it auto-populates to Der Des Dem Den, and several of the links on the first page mention Der Des Dem Den, yet this page says it's Der Den Dem Des?)

It's
der, den, dem, des
1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

etc..

Cases are not a big issue in German Just very confusing for foreigners because cases have overlapping articles (for plural/singular) so you need to KNOW the word and it's plural/singular forms. If you know enough German words this becomes a lot easier.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Dec 31, 2014, 14:26 eRe4s3r

And an OBE is.. what? Article did not actually say  

24. Re: Researchers: We can detect life on other worlds through its [sic] vibrations Dec 31, 2014, 03:22 eRe4s3r

Sepharo wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 02:48:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 02:32:
In the end this isn't so much about grammar as it is about the meaning that the correct grammar implies. Although I don't think blues had that in mind.

To me, the only logically correct way to say what the article *means* is if you say that you can measure life through a worlds vibration.

Sounds like you're still not getting it... We can detect life on other worlds through life's vibrations.

Also, though not the meaning of the article, shouldn't your bolded word be world's ?

I have no idea about that Should it?

How would you know what you receive is vibration caused by life if you never have found life before and you have only 1 limited definition of life to begin with? You wouldn't even know what kind of vibrations possible-life not based on earth would create when you measure such things.

Honestly asking, how is life even defined in this context? Would you detect algae? Plants? What about bacteria? That's all life too...

22. Re: Researchers: We can detect life on other worlds through its [sic] vibrations Dec 31, 2014, 02:32 eRe4s3r

In the end this isn't so much about grammar as it is about the meaning that the correct grammar implies. Although I don't think blues had that in mind.

To me, the only logically correct way to say what the article *means* is if you say that you can measure life through a worlds vibration.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 30, 2014, 14:06 eRe4s3r

mag wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 13:58:
Creston wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 13:25:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 12:03:
Cutter wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 11:57:
Gee and the Tesla is still only 110k entry price. What a deal for a 400 miles. Rolleyes

Range is a problem, but for me the bigger problem would be that you can the throw the car away if you ever leave the battery unplugged during -10C for longer than 24 hours. Ie, when you have a power outage for a day, you can throw your tesla.. away.

Great car, would instantly buy .. not

You'd just put a battery minder on it. Not a huge deal, but you do have to remember to do that.

On the flipside, when it's extremely cold, I also have to remember to go outside and de-ice my heatpump as well as my septic tank sprinklers, so it's just one of those things that you know you have to do when it's very cold.

And how many people who can afford a 100K Tesla S leave it outside of their garage, really?

In addition to that, I googled around out of curiosity and don't see anyone saying anything even close to what eRe4s3r is claiming. It's almost uniformly: "Leave the battery unplugged during -10C... and regenerative braking will be disabled until the battery warms up." Oooh noooo.

Heh, that was actually the first result I got from googling Tesla and Winter Teaches me for believing stuff I read on the Tesla Forums (yes, really)

Ps.: The topic I read can easily be found, but I am going to bed now They said there that around -10C to -25C if you leave the car unplugged and *standing* longer than 24hr your battery is dead.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 30, 2014, 13:13 eRe4s3r

PropheT wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 12:53:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 12:03:
Range is a problem, but for me the bigger problem would be that you can the throw the car away if you ever leave the battery unplugged during -10C for longer than 24 hours.

I'd never heard that before. That's...not a good deal for any cold weather state. It was cold enough here last year for long enough that the battery in my truck couldn't handle it and died, so if that's the case then I can't imagine prolonged cold would leave the car in good working order even if it was plugged in.

I'm a cheapass when it comes to cars, though, I could have a whole fleet of trucks like mine for what a Tesla would cost.

That battery dieing thing is why the Tesla needs to be "plugged in" when it's that cold. They literally have to heat the battery for it not to lose charge and die. Not exactly something I'd want in a car. Like you I am a cheapass.. and I hate having to babysit shit. I can BARELY stand a tablet that needs recharging once a week.

Ps.: And of course, the battery needs to be cooled in summer, so you have the same problem in reverse when it's 35C outside. Leaving your Tesla out in the open for 3 days in Summer? You have a nice problem on your hands... anyway, I don't want to spread ill rumors about the car, that's something I read in the Tesla forums.

I wonder how much power you actually use when you heat the battery in winter, because I can't imagine such a big battery block being easy to heat. And heating 24/7 seems like a good way to get a HUGE power bill. Kinda eats up those gasoline savings. Especially in Germany.

News Comments > GOG.com on RAR vs DRM
5. Re: GOG.com on RAR vs DRM Dec 30, 2014, 13:02 eRe4s3r

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 12:37:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 11:48:
GOG does not support Linux

This suggests otherwise:

http://www.gog.com/games##sort=title&system=lin_mint,lin_ubuntu&page=1

Yeah, serves me right for not reading up on this before I wrote my post ;/ and to boot it off phrasing it entirely wrong.

Certain games on GOG support Ubuntu/*nix, those you can download as tar.gz or deb package so I guess you could say GOG does support Linux

But the problem is that a lot of games only have mac/win installers, and those are having a hardcoded password. Before the new installer you could unpack this on Linux etc. just fine but only via Wine...

In the end it really is a non-issue when you think about it... I actually assumed the new installer would replace the old tar.gz and deb packages. Hence my wrong statement

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 30, 2014, 12:03 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 11:57:
Gee and the Tesla is still only 110k entry price. What a deal for a 400 miles. Rolleyes

Range is a problem, but for me the bigger problem would be that you can the throw the car away if you ever leave the battery unplugged during -10C for longer than 24 hours. Ie, when you have a power outage for a day, you can throw your tesla.. away.

Great car, would instantly buy .. not

4. Re: Researchers: We can detect life on other worlds through its [sic] vibrations Dec 30, 2014, 11:52 eRe4s3r

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 11:30:
rocketpcguy wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 11:04:
what should the headline be to be correct (i.e. what should be in place of "its")?

I'm wondering that myself. It's=It is while Its=possessive pronoun.

worlds = their
world = its

News Comments > GOG.com on RAR vs DRM
2. Re: GOG.com on RAR vs DRM Dec 30, 2014, 11:48 eRe4s3r

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 11:28:
Makes me wonder why they didn't use 7zip instead with it being open source.

Well the installer has to exist anyway, to create path entries, registry etc. I think this is really a non-issue GOG does not support Linux

20. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 30, 2014, 05:10 eRe4s3r

D_K_night wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 04:23:
uh huh, so you redid a portion of the G11 circuit board with nothing but wires and duct tape. And you were able to simply eyeball the PCB and see all the traces. Right, sounds like a board from the early 1990's if you can just oh, look at it and see all traces.

"piss easy" so we should be able to hand this to a 10-year girl and order her to figure it out and fix it. Right man. Assuming your story is even true, just reading what you did is just total amateur hour, the way you approached it. Don't quit your day job.

The G11 has LED lights not on the main PCB, but on LED+micro-res only pcb's (3 with 3 LED's, and 1 with 2 LED's) that slide out easily and the cable (which goes around the entire rim of the G11) is a standard 2 or 3 pin power connector like for fans any other pc equipment, and I redid nothing. I threw the old led's, resistors and the entire LED pcb assembly in the trash. 2 LED's or their transistors were broken and there was no way to remove them and replace all others because there is no way to remove micro resistors with normal soldering equipment (not to mention I need other resistors anyway).

I dunno what you think I did, but I literally did the idiot proof "how to solder together a long string of LED lights with cable" which even a 10 year old girl could do. And then I put them where the LED pcb was and ducttaped it to the fiberglass pane that serves as light diffuser and called it a day. Result: White glow G11 for less than 3$

And whatever you may think, that fixed my flickering blue LED's and it was easy and cheap The old PCB assembly where the LED's were on was impossible to salvage with the soldering equipment I have. And I don't spend 200$ on hardware to replace LED's and resistors that barely cost 2$.

17. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 30, 2014, 03:30 eRe4s3r

Well, I replaced my Logitech G11 LED circuit board and put my own LED build in (white led's with stronger resistors so it isn't nuclear doom bright) had to recreate the entire fucking thing because the 4 circuit boards with LEDs they used had copper layers that instantly vaporized when I tried to remove the old LED welds. So had to create my own "grunge" LED rig with you know.. cables and duct-tape.

I think anyone who knows how to use google could do that though. This kind of stuff is piss easy and you need zero education for it, just calculator, the various electrical conversions and a LED calculator (since with 11 LED's on a 5V usb circuit things can become a bit difficult resistor wise ,p).

So I don't think what the article says is true. But one thing is true, I didn't learn how to weld in school, one of my (older than me) friends showed me how it works.

Ps.: not sure that is called "welding" I dunno the correct English word for it.

News Comments > Talos Principle Punishes Pirates
7. Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 12:25 eRe4s3r

Bradley wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 11:39:
Overon wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 09:33:
The game has to detect that are you are using some pirated software. Why wouldn't people who bypass copy protection bypass this too?

In order to bypass it you have to know it exists. It's easy to know that there is DRM when a game refuses to run, but introduce subtle things like this and the odds are that the people trying to remove the DRM will miss it. If you can introduce enough subtle little checks like this then you've managed to protect your game for just a bit longer.

And all this does is waste dev time, because if pirates gonna pirate, they gonna pirate no matter what.

Don't develop features for pirates, develop features for customers.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 29, 2014, 11:20 eRe4s3r

nin wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 11:13:
garrywong wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 11:00:
Much like DNA, there's a reason why fingerprint evidence is rarely admitted in court.

Where's my Jackie Chan "WTF" jpg?

Be careful it might reflect in your Iris

In that showing with the fingerprints, they had a short demo how to capture the reflection of your phone display in your eye with the.. phone camera (no joke) and thus see your pin as is entered in real-time

The camera resolutions are high enough to make this attack viable on the high-end smartphones. Any security lock on the smart-phone can with this revalation thus be hacked, finger print, pin, gesture. every single phone lock mechanism is insecure.

This entire 30 minute show was extremely impressive. Literally all biometric security is broken, and even your pin can be seen if an trojan app accesses the camera and sees you enter the pin and you are instant-pwned)

The 31C3 is always impressive, and this year is no exception

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 29, 2014, 10:49 eRe4s3r

They can't just hack your fingerprint, they can take a photo of your hand from up to 7m, apply 1 finger to a carrier-material, put it on the object of choice, and connect you to a crime you never committed.

Iris and face detection as well as fingerprint security is entirely broken with this. Even vein detection!

Biometric security is broken...

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2014, 01:11 eRe4s3r

Quboid wrote on Dec 28, 2014, 22:00:
Why the hell wouldn't people be angry? That guy is just an obnoxious cock and there is a world of difference between what he's doing and all the other examples he lists. By ignoring all context, what he is doing has nothing to do with the surveillance debate (and as such, neither does my criticism of him).

If you are an ass to an ass, you are the bigger ass.

8152 Comments. 408 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo