Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 6658 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Runemaster Announced
2. Re: Runemaster Announced Jan 23, 2014, 17:32 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 16:08:
Enh, not really any meat in that trailer. Still, looks like the potential may be there in any case.

I like how you worded that.... did we get so hardened by the constant disappointments that our natural reaction to trailers is just a "meh" nowadays?

Anyway, that was my reaction as well.. "may have some potential" but may also not have any potential... hehe.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hearts of Iron IV Announced
1. Re: Hearts of Iron IV Announced Jan 23, 2014, 17:24 eRe4s3r

which contains historical footage and no gameplay
So just like the game then.. *ducks*

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online and Thief Each Rated "M"
68. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online and Thief Each Rated Jan 23, 2014, 17:22 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 16:40:
Btw, that video looks terrible. Ugly texturing, small draw distances, drab brown shit everywhere, uninteresting spell effects.

15 bucks a month for that? I want to return to Morrowind, but I think I'll just wait for Skywind instead.

Yeah, if this is the best they can come with....

People here went off topic crazily over what amounts to a crappy 8 minute MMO video being shown. As we have seen it a million times (and played it X times)....

In fact, if you hadn't told me this was ESO, I would have mistaken it for another WoW expansion.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 23, 2014, 16:41 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 16:18:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 11:58:
using duck duck go and thinking about how to best get rid of gmail... but I can't find any decent email hosting that is not in the US... Europe has many, but they are all listed in the NSA documents are "easy to pwn" or they cost money. And I will NEVER pay money money for emails.

There is no point in switching email unless you go to an ultra-encrypted provider. The entire email system is a sieve of security issues, so if the NSA wants to read your email, they will, no matter where you are. (again, the encrypted variety not included, but those typically aren't free.)

Guess that's true.. but I got dismayed with the crappy PGP situation when using webmail. There is no firefox plugin that supports encryption and decryption of text in a frame with my key/public key library. Why the heck not? I don't use Thundermail or Outlook. I want to check my mails in browser, I want to encrypt on the fly... sigh.

The real reason email is completely pwned is because the entire PGP system is retarded. It needs to be part of browsers by default encrypting with transparent proxy frames etc., not external applications within external applications.. bah.

It really makes you want to not use email (for important stuff) whatsoever.

Ps.: I am not saying PGP is retarded, I am saying the current PGP software is retarded. It is completely unusable for the average webmail. Imap or pop with a 2gb+ sized email account? lmao. Just synching my webmail with Thunderbird froze the entire app to an halt.

Maybe it's because my account is very attachment heavy.... sigh. Is it really too much to ask to have a REAL on the fly pgp encryption tool as a browser plugin that can detect encrypted text and decrypt it, assuming the key is known to the plugin, on the fly?

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2014, 16:46.

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 23, 2014, 15:26 eRe4s3r

Task wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 13:08:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 11:58:
using duck duck go and thinking about how to best get rid of gmail... but I can't find any decent email hosting that is not in the US... Europe has many, but they are all listed in the NSA documents are "easy to pwn" or they cost money. And I will NEVER pay money money for emails.

If you build your own server box, install uBuntu on it. And then proceed to make your own email server. its quite a process though

But that'd require a 100% stable internet connection.. which I sadly don't have. Though it is stable most of the time, it changes IP every 24hr and that means any server needs to constantly keep some redirect service up-to-date with IP and be linked with dynDNS or something alike.

It's not just quite a process, it's a huge hassle

And I doubt I could do a better spam filter than google...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 23, 2014, 12:25 eRe4s3r

Fion wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 11:42:
That piece of glass cost 450k? What a waste!

Does it need said again? Don't buy Alienware.. you just pay a premium for them to put the cheapest hardware they can find in a cool looking case. You're essentially paying an extra grand for that cool case.

Isn't that true for all "pre-assembled" desktop pc's? I have never seen one that's priced competitively.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 23, 2014, 12:16 eRe4s3r

killer_roach wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 02:09:
Redmask wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 21:35:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 14:32:
Maybe now AMD can produce proper CPU's again that aren't total crap compared to Intel's I7 line....

With the direction the market is moving I'm not sure it matters that much anymore. Companies seem to care more about power and IGP performance. They're slower than Intel but still good enough for most practical purposes. I hope mobile leads to better battery tech or something because we're seeing a fair amount of stagnation in other traditional performance areas.

The problem is that AMD is pretty awful in competing on power also.

And with that, heat. Which is really why they can't compete in performance.

You can't believe how sad this makes me, I want AMD stuff to be good but I will never buy inferior hardware. If I upgrade my CPU, it's state-of-the-art or nothing. And state of the art, is not AMD.

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 23, 2014, 11:58 eRe4s3r

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 22, 2014, 19:11 eRe4s3r

Shineyguy wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 16:14:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 14:32:
Maybe now AMD can produce proper CPU's again that aren't total crap compared to Intel's I7 line....

I'm sure they'd be happy to if they had even a fraction of Intel's R&D budget...

Yeah, but how will they ever get to that point.... If I wanted a state-of-the-art system now, my choice would be, Intel's So. 2011 ... and that's it. AMD isn't even in the same generation when it comes to CPU's.

And while the ATI gpu's look pretty tight in performance, who the heck wants 3 tiny noisy fans on their extremely overlength GPU...

It's just depressing.... Intel is under no pressure to lower prices because AMD is not even competing anymore.... sigh

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 22, 2014, 14:32 eRe4s3r

News Comments > Line of Defense Tactics
10. Re: Line of Defense Tactics Jan 21, 2014, 12:40 eRe4s3r

dsmart wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 12:18:
Sorry but you're wrong. The radial menu in _this_ game does not work like that. At all. Did you actually watch those videos?

Also, if you that think replacing a radial menu with a litany of single-purpose buttons is good UI design and "sux less", then you must probably love WoW

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 11:56:
dsmart wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 09:17:
Not sure why you'd think that a radial menu won't work with the mouse. That's just crazy talk. Especially since the UI was designed to be completely idiot proof.

I said they suck, not that they don't work... Sure they work, slowly. And that is great when idiot proofing a GUI for tablets, but it's annoying as heck for anyone who wants to get things done quickly Every time you "right click on a dude to do X" that could have been a single button and a click on target instead (on PC)

That said, mneh! I don't really care.. you make your games and you can do whatever the heck you want...

Haven't played WoW for ages, but I love XCOM Enemy Within.... and single purpose buttons of course not, why would they be single purpose. Hotkeys are assigned to slots, each character has different skills in slots, yeah that requires a skill bar but it does not require single purpose buttons. And a skill bar is faster than radial menus (except for touch interface)

I don't like radial menu is all. Never seen good ones, and the ones I have seen all sucked. X Rebirth for one.... ;p Maybe what you make is better.. who knows.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jan 21, 2014, 12:02 eRe4s3r

Without sales nobody would even SEE those indy games on the steam store to begin with. hell, all of the indy games I own I only got because I only saw them when they were on sale.

That's a sale these guys would never have gotten without a.. uhm.. sale ;p

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 21, 2014, 11:58 eRe4s3r

Beelzebud wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 23:38:
Linux users "completely disable" "permission"? I'm not sure what you mean, but if you're trying to say that most Linux users run as root to avoid typing in passwords, you don't know many Linux users.

I know plenty of users who run Ubuntu as root.... maybe that's the ones who really should be using Windows heh....

8. Re: Line of Defense Tactics Jan 21, 2014, 11:56 eRe4s3r

dsmart wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 09:17:
Not sure why you'd think that a radial menu won't work with the mouse. That's just crazy talk. Especially since the UI was designed to be completely idiot proof.

I said they suck, not that they don't work... Sure they work, slowly. And that is great when idiot proofing a GUI for tablets, but it's annoying as heck for anyone who wants to get things done quickly Every time you "right click on a dude to do X" that could have been a single button and a click on target instead (on PC)

That said, mneh! I don't really care.. you make your games and you can do whatever the heck you want...

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 21, 2014, 11:39 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 10:12:
What use are these fucking documents when the most important information, like who is being investigated, for what reason, and why is [REDACTED]?????!!!

Because journalists are not in a position, nor do they have the right, to decide who should be named and who shouldn't. Greenwald said it, they can not take the responsibility to name anyone, innocents could have their life ruined, or criminals escape from justice... that is not something journalists should do.

3. Re: Line of Defense Tactics Jan 20, 2014, 21:10 eRe4s3r

I won't touch a pad interface with a stick.... only with a mouse... and with a mouse, radial menus suck donkey tails.

Aside that... indifference Doesn't look bad, doesn't look awesome. Just looks.. nmeh.. think some people will enjoy it

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Mod Tools Beta
5. Re: Total War: ROME II Mod Tools Beta Jan 20, 2014, 21:03 eRe4s3r

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 14:22:
Stimpack wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 13:05:
Why do the AI turns take so long?
78 factions?

1 cpu thread for 78 factions... and you can't multi-thread these kind of turn calculations... sadly.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 20, 2014, 20:59 eRe4s3r

When the sky turns red and the rivers carry honey....  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
11. Re: Stealth marketing: Microsoft paying YouTubers for Xbox One mentions. Jan 20, 2014, 20:44 eRe4s3r

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 19:53:
Bah! Ship now fix later was one of the things that turned me off of PC gaming in the first place... now it's standerd practice across all platforms, and of course software companies are never held accountable for shipping unfinished products.

This is Capcom we are talking about.... no surprises there.

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 20, 2014, 19:32 eRe4s3r

Axis wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 16:57:
Hey look! Researchers finally discovered what everyone in the linux industry has known for the last umpteen years - that linux is the most secure OS!! Hurray!

Oh wait! Hurry go back to your Microsoft Office and WinWhatever -- we don't want our gravy train spilled...

If you believe what a GCHQ sponsored study says you haven't been reading the news these past months... even if Linux is more secure simply because of permission (which average users completely disable for ease of use and to prevent obscure problems) this study only found that on Windows 7/8 the RISK is higher, because it's 98% of the OS market. Security wise both OS tested equal.... which is why you should never, never, never believe what headlines say without clicking on the link first.

6658 Comments. 333 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo