Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 7127 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
35. Re: Why Solar Roadways Won't Work Jun 3, 2014, 19:34 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 19:08:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 18:09:
3 things

1) Putting solar panels on parking space is like putting a coffee-maker that needs virgin blood on the moon. You park during day on parking spaces, you may also park during night on parking spaces... making that completely pointless. Put roof over them and solar on top, easier, cheaper.

2) You can buy transparent solar panels to be used in giant office towers already, the tech exists and is mature, they even offer shading and UV protection inside, while absorbing everything outside

3) There is no, way, ever, that this produces enough power in it's short life to off-set the INSANE production cost or melt snow at -30C And you need to connect that technology to the power grid, meaning you need some MAJOR infrastructure to convert voltage up and down, to store energy etc.... and that is infrastructure running ALONG the road. Because you can't connect infinite pieces of this technology together, or the internal currents will completely burn the connections.

And then there is the obvious problem that ice on those panels in the street will still need salt and snow plowing. Making the entire idea completely pointless. (If you don't know why.. 2 words, opaque glass)

Don't get me wrong, I am all for future tech usually, but putting solar panels in the road is stupid. Put them on roofs, where they make sense. Put roofs above everything for all I care... would make for a lot better driving ....

True. They'd work in less trafficked areas but in cities they'd be near useless - except as you mentioned rooftops - and sides of buildings. Anyplace with constant exposure really.

It'd be much smarter to utilize wind in major cities. Hell look at Chicago. It's not the 'Windy City' for no reason. Throw up micro wind turbines everywhere. Hell, what was that article that was on the OOTB a few months back about an entirely new kind of wind turbine? It looked more like a wheat thresher than a propeller. And they claimed it was hella more efficient, cheaper and easier to install everywhere. Wind-pods I think they were called.

Wouldn't be a bad idea but whenever "wind turbine" is mentioned I gotta think of the 3 that are about 4km from my living place... and the noise they make ;( These things are extremely huge though.... so they make a very deep "whoosh" sound.. you can get used to that more or less.... (But underneath them you couldn't really live at all, they make a hellish noise when it's windy)

I have the fear that small tube turbines would make one hell of a screeching sound during windy/storm periods. Since the same thing would happen as if you were to blow into a pipe at a sharp angle....

These tech ideas are always so interesting at the beginning until you go into the nitty gritty details....

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Crytek Announces HUNT: Horrors of the Gilded Age
18. Re: Game as a service Jun 3, 2014, 19:20 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 18:58:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 15:37:
But to whom, exactly? So this is yet another wants-to-be-mmo?

That's it exactly it isn't it? An MMO by any other name...

Wonder why they aren't calling it for what it is then... in fact this entire announcement confuses the shit out of me. A game as a service... with 4 player coop and procedural missions? So you pay.. monthly fees for the right to play the game? Or what?

30. Re: Why Solar Roadways Won't Work Jun 3, 2014, 18:09 eRe4s3r

Jivaro wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 17:25:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 16:47:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 12:28:
I suspected as much when I originally saw the solar freakin' roadways video, however I didn't take time to think about it. At a simplistic level it seems like a great idea, but in reality it makes no sense whatsoever. Too bad, I could go for not having to shovel snow off my driveway any longer...

Yes, but just like Mr. British accent, it's easy to pick apart an idea and much harder to look into why it could work. His first complaint is that asphalt is such a wonderful, grippy surface and glass is not. Which is bullshit, as anyone in a state where it rains a lot or freezes in the winter can tell you. Get an inch of rain and your wonderful asphalt is about as grippy as ice. The guy sounds like a fucking shill for the oil industry.

And the cost? Well, holy fuck, nobody said it would all be replaced in a year, or even a decade. Not to mention power production mitigates a lot of that cost over time.

Yeah, while that video brings up some fairly interesting and completely valid points it also makes abundant use of the "this is too much of a problem to overcome" tactic. In other words, acknowledge that we have a difficult issue to address but make the proposed solution seem like an even bigger hassle so as to get people to stop thinking of solutions before they even start.

Personally, I look at this technology/concept and see it as something you use in parking lots or drive ways. I am not really sure I see it being something you can use for long distances or heavily traveled freeways. I don't think it needs to be limited to road ways either. For example, if corporate buildings had these things on the sides they could both save energy and sell space for advertising.

In the end, if the energy and pollution required to produce the things does not outweigh the savings after they are on the market (and that is a huge IF) than I think this tech will find a place.....after quite a bit of concept evolution. I seriously doubt I will see HWY 101 or HWY 880 covered in these things anytime soon.

3 things

1) Putting solar panels on parking space is like putting a coffee-maker that needs virgin blood on the moon. You park during day on parking spaces, you may also park during night on parking spaces... making that completely pointless. Put roof over them and solar on top, easier, cheaper.

2) You can buy transparent solar panels to be used in giant office towers already, the tech exists and is mature, they even offer shading and UV protection inside, while absorbing everything outside

3) There is no, way, ever, that this produces enough power in it's short life to off-set the INSANE production cost or melt snow at -30C And you need to connect that technology to the power grid, meaning you need some MAJOR infrastructure to convert voltage up and down, to store energy etc.... and that is infrastructure running ALONG the road. Because you can't connect infinite pieces of this technology together, or the internal currents will completely burn the connections.

And then there is the obvious problem that ice on those panels in the street will still need salt and snow plowing. Making the entire idea completely pointless. (If you don't know why.. 2 words, opaque glass)

Don't get me wrong, I am all for future tech usually, but putting solar panels in the road is stupid. Put them on roofs, where they make sense. Put roofs above everything for all I care... would make for a lot better driving ....

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2014, 15:48 eRe4s3r

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 14:15:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 09:07:
Apologies for yielding to what might seem to some as sensationalist press but this one shocked me. Two 12 yrs. stab a friend over 19 times. Police claim they planned it for months and had a sleep over with the victim the night before the attack.

Crazy and sad.

Holy fucking shit!!!

WTF is this world coming to?

You seriously asking this question? I think the 2 girls who did this should get a lifelong ticket to an insane asylum. And the parents... should be neutered. But remember, each story has 2 sides.... still.. this is fucked up indeed.

23. Re: Why Solar Roadways Won't Work Jun 3, 2014, 15:42 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 12:28:
I suspected as much when I originally saw the solar freakin' roadways video, however I didn't take time to think about it. At a simplistic level it seems like a great idea, but in reality it makes no sense whatsoever. Too bad, I could go for not having to shovel snow off my driveway any longer...

Depending on your drive-way the solution could be easy (roof) or impossible

But hey, shoveling snow keeps you fit.

News Comments > Crytek Announces HUNT: Horrors of the Gilded Age
13. Game as a service Jun 3, 2014, 15:37 eRe4s3r

But to whom, exactly? So this is yet another wants-to-be-mmo?  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 3, 2014, 12:12 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 09:57:
Videocards already have DDR5 on them. I agree system ram has been over-hyped, just was willing to see what the diff was with DDR4 system memory and got a big blank with this article. "Dramatically Boosts Gaming Performance" and nothing, golf clap.

GDDR5 is just tuned DDR3 memory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR5

And yeah, same reaction for me when I read that. Was reading for the proof and nothing... you'd think WSJ would have some better writers.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2014, 12:08 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 09:31:
As epic as the fight was, what came before the fight was even better. In fact this is definitely one of my favorite episodes so far, with some of the best scenes and performances of all involved...
*semi spoiler below*
I couldnt help but feel sorry for Ser Jorah, a decent guy who has made some questionable decisions in his life and unlike most everyone else in the series always ends up paying for them bigtime...

Yea What a roller-coaster ride....

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 3, 2014, 06:52 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 20:51:
Nothing in there shows any game boost performance. It talks about memory boosts, but we'll have to wait and see what it really means in real world gaming.

Well it's the Wall Street Journal... which has exactly ZERO relevance when it comes to tech news.

Weren't there tests showing that RAM speed makes absolutely 0 difference with DDR3 memory? Doubt that's gonna change with DDR4... though we might see faster video memory out of it.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 3, 2014, 05:20 eRe4s3r

nin wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 21:17:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 21:05:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 19:29:
To me blu-ray discs didn't even exist until I knew for a fact that I could rip them. Discs... Discs are so 19th century. I rip my bought blurays to 1080p h.264 encodes sized about 5gb and have them sit on my NAS and stream them to my TV.. the future!.. And the future does not involve discs if I can help it

But wait, you are still buying/renting the disc to begin with. I can't see how you see buying a BR and using a player as archaic, you have to buy/rip/keep storage/make sure it's all working, etc. Not that what you do is a bad, but I see a very healthy counterpoint of someone just buying the disc and using a player. Simple.

He's buying high bitrate audio/video and then ripping to a lower bitrate (thus taking 25-40+ gig of data down to 5 gig)? Might as well stick with dvds if you're going to do that...

That's like buying a cd and then making 128 mp3s out of it...

With proper X.264 settings it's more like buying a CD and making 320kbps mp3's out of it. I can't tell a difference, but then I am not really caring for that all that much, as long as it's sharp

And if you want to stream blurays to various devices you have no choice anyway. You are not gonna stream a 40gb bluray without issues, certainly not to handheld devices. .. well, not with flaky wi-fi ;p

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 2, 2014, 19:29 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 17:01:
The thing is that Sony, while it has a multitude of failures doing this, was successful in perhaps the closest analog to what they're doing here: Blu ray discs. So, it's pretty easy for them to make the case to themselves that they should be trying this.

To me blu-ray discs didn't even exist until I knew for a fact that I could rip them. Discs... Discs are so 19th century. I rip my bought blurays to 1080p h.264 encodes sized about 5gb and have them sit on my NAS and stream them to my TV.. the future!.. And the future does not involve discs if I can help it

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. MP Saved by Patch
13. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. MP Saved by Patch Jun 2, 2014, 18:37 eRe4s3r

harlock wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 14:24:
Rattlehead wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 10:14:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 10:13:
Would like to see a new STALKER updated engine, gfx, etc etc etc. On level with Skyrim would be awesome....

Unfortunately the probability is next to slim. GSC World closed a while back.

i guess you missed this?

http://survarium.com/en

free2play MMOFPS game ... uh.. yeah, how about... no! What does that have to do with Stalker? Stalker was scary because you were alone, because you could never know what would happen or when a blow-out was to occur... how would this ever translate into a mmo with standard fetch quests, quest givers, safe zones and 100% pvp bullshit which probably makes it another pay to win game in the end...

Or.. it turns into another DayZ .. which imo is even worse.

Dunno.. I just become instantly turned off when someone says pay to eh... no wait.. free to play Haven't seen a good f2p ever. And I doubt this one will change that.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2014, 18:47.

News Comments > Qtracker GameSpy Support Expands
2. Re: Qtracker GameSpy Support Expands May 31, 2014, 05:39 eRe4s3r

Makes you wonder why GLU Mobile even bought Gamespy... I mean, they'd not have sold if they had a viable business model....  

News Comments > Pandora: First Contact on Steam; Free Expansion Added
7. Re: Pandora: First Contact on Steam; Free Expansion Added May 30, 2014, 15:41 eRe4s3r

Slashman wrote on May 30, 2014, 12:07:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 30, 2014, 11:41:
Prez wrote on May 30, 2014, 11:38:
Wow, Alpha Centauri 2!! Well that is my first impression anyway. Might have to get this because I LOVED AC.

It's sadly NOTHING like AC

What is it actually like?

A civ 5 mod with aliens and a sci-fi setting, It was probably inspired by SMAC but it has at best a passing semblance... setting wise. Gameplay is really quite different. And AI/Economy is pretty dang stupid/broken

News Comments > Pandora: First Contact on Steam; Free Expansion Added
3. Re: Pandora: First Contact on Steam; Free Expansion Added May 30, 2014, 11:41 eRe4s3r

Prez wrote on May 30, 2014, 11:38:
Wow, Alpha Centauri 2!! Well that is my first impression anyway. Might have to get this because I LOVED AC.

It's sadly NOTHING like AC

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. May 30, 2014, 00:31 eRe4s3r

It's funny that he extrapolates from Democracy 2 sales data though. Because if anything you'd have to look at NEW games with new IP to make a point. And even for a sequel, making 50% of the money after release with sales is huge. To him this is bad sales? The real question is: Did it make enough money to continue working on games?

Maybe the real problem is that Cliffski games are niche even within their niche. Which is the case for a few other Indy's as well, and they simply can't find a lot of interest with "new" customers, sale or not.

News Comments > Interstellar Marines Spearhead Earlier Early Access
3. Re: Interstellar Marines Spearhead Earlier Early Access May 29, 2014, 15:57 eRe4s3r

Well... it took em 5 years to get.. to this?  

News Comments > DICE Opens BF Hardline Preorders; Promises Continued BF4 Support
24. Re: DICE Opens BF Hardline Preorders; Promises Continued BF4 Support May 29, 2014, 15:15 eRe4s3r

A major update to the netcode? All it needs is more than 10 ticks per second for client updates... heck even 30 would fix most issues.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 29, 2014, 01:21 eRe4s3r

Although an intelligent pirate might be aware that Skidrow never released Watch Dogs.... so it must be fake.

Feels like it only hit the "right" people

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Confirmed
36. Re: Battlefield Hardline Confirmed May 29, 2014, 01:18 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on May 28, 2014, 20:00:
harlock wrote on May 28, 2014, 15:24:
Verno wrote on May 28, 2014, 14:43:
harlock wrote on May 28, 2014, 14:12:
Cutter wrote on May 28, 2014, 13:37:
Enjoy your bug-laden haxfest game.

enjoy your boutique soaps and all-natural microbeads

Hahah dare I ask what this is in reference to?

yes, yes - please do:

Cutter wrote on May 18, 2014, 23:25:
djinn wrote on May 18, 2014, 18:50:
Cutter wrote on May 18, 2014, 15:18:
They should ban those plastic microbeads. Zero need for them at all. I make mine with natural exfoliates - various plant seeds, ground pumice and loofah, salts, etc. I feel sorry for people who use that crap on their on bodies.

Must have been your avatar, as all this time I thought you were a man.

I am a man. A man who makes and sells soaps and cosmetics. A man who also cares about his appearance. Women of quality like that.

Wow, I have another stalker. Tell me, Harlock, do you have a shrine to me in your bedroom as well?

And why doesn't he stalk me too, considering I replied to that in agreement ;p

These stalkers are not what they used to be....

7127 Comments. 357 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo