Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 7158 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > The Settlers - Kingdoms of Anteria Announced
17. Re: The Settlers - Kingdoms of Anteria Announced Jun 24, 2014, 01:16 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 17:54:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 15:24:
I know what you mean. I'll be pissed if the actual announcement will be another pre rendered trailer.
Why can't they do a 10 minutes long gameplay video with dev commentary or something similar.
It is 2014 not 1999. Noone cares about pre rendered crap.

But, but, but teh rendrd grafix iz koooooool!! I am now a Settlers-bot, hypnotized by teh rendrd grafix and must now have this game. Now.

There's a reason marketing is a recurring theme on Dilbert.

Oh I like CGI when it fits, but this is a settlers game, CGI isn't gonna make economic sims more interesting, ever.

So yeah, probably you are right, it's the marketing department going fully insane or something.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 24, 2014, 01:12 eRe4s3r

That AMD story has a neat jab by Intel

We have publicly asked them to share the spec with us several times as part of examination of potential ways to improve APIs and increase efficiencies. At this point though we believe that DirectX 12 and ongoing work with other industry bodies and OS vendors will address the issues that game developers have noted."

Translation: Intel asked, but got nothing from AMD... that's one way to kill an API

News Comments > The Settlers - Kingdoms of Anteria Announced
8. Re: The Settlers - Kingdoms of Anteria Announced Jun 23, 2014, 15:21 eRe4s3r

I suppose we'll see if this is any good... when they have something to show ~.~

Never will understand what the point of these "pre-announce" announces is. As in: They don't tell us anything at all about the game, yet expect us to somehow care about it... like seriously, what is the point of that?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2014, 09:50 eRe4s3r

Yakubs wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 09:44:
The entire sport is sketchy. Bunch of grown men with 10 pounds of gel in their hair pretending that a gust of wind broke their leg.

Better than 2 dozen grown men needing breaks and pauses every 20 seconds for 3 minutes... just to carry an egg over a field.

News Comments > MS: "We Are Continuing to Support the GFWL Service"
10. Re: MS: Jun 22, 2014, 14:51 eRe4s3r

Every year MS is saying they will support pc gaming, every year nothing happens. Which convinces me absolutely that they will support gfwl.. exactly like they support pc gaming with pc games.  

News Comments > GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble
16. Re: GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble Jun 22, 2014, 14:29 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 14:07:
bhcompy wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 13:13:
Dagnamit wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 13:03:
NeOCidE wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 12:52:
Them darn pirates!!!!!

not surprised. They've never even made a game that I would consider anything more than above average. And it's not like they've ever blown the roof off in selling the decent ones.

$60 million stretch goal. Cloud Imperium buys Crytek.

Crytek's games always seemed like glorified tech demos. The problem is that they could never sell their engine for any decent game, as the market is essentially build your own engine or use Unreal(with a few rare instances of Source or id). Monolith ran into the same problem with Lithtech after FEAR played itself out.

And Unity. There is no denying they have made a massive dent.

Star Citizen will save them.

Yeah... not really. Crappy performance with 3 ships on screen in a vacuum, thats cry-engine for ya.

News Comments > All Battlefield Hardline Beta Weapons Unlocked
8. Re: All Battlefield Hardline Beta Weapons Unlocked Jun 21, 2014, 10:01 eRe4s3r

Played another few rounds and finally.. uninstalled it.. what a piece of crap game I own every single Battlefield game, but this I will NOT own, feels like COD with vehicles, weapons feel shit, tracers everywhere, horrible animations and broken physics... makes you feel fondly about Metro and Locker... in BF4.. how sad is that  

News Comments > Phil Fish Baits YouTube; Becomes Twitter Quitter
32. Re: Phil Fish Baits YouTube; Becomes Twitter Quitter Jun 19, 2014, 12:34 eRe4s3r

But if that "douche" (your words..) is not getting paid, there would be no let's plays. 0, nada. I mean, I think you do not even realize how much work a commented let's play actually entails.

And you are acting as if every game is a cutscene heavy bulwark of non-interactivity, to be fair I don't watch that many "entire" let's plays, and seeing the drop off in watch numbers for videos beyond the first I am probably not the only one... but point remains, if you muddy the water with monetization you end up killing let's play, reviews and any (professional produced) user produced content in one fell swoop. And a lot of that is advertising for developers.

You probably have no idea how much an indy dev is thankful when MAJOR youtube let's players feature their game. When TB features a game favorable for example, that is always clear spike in Steam sale numbers.... and we are talking a major spike.

And as I said, what if the platform is not where I game then even me watching a full let's play of a story heavy game isn't gonna do anything to the sales for a dev. That dev already gimped emself by not putting the game out on PC anyway.

Also just generally, I am 100% against copyright, just FYI. I accept that there need to be SOME rules regarding buying and selling stuff, but what you bring up here (Give developers share or all revenue from youtube content a 3rd party produced) is something I oppose 100%. Copyright induced monetization is what kills youtube. Just look at the retarded crap they pulled with indy musicians just recently. That's what happens when you let copyright go too far.

We are just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. To me let's plays are a service, not by developers or publishers but by users, and they deserve to be rewarded.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2014, 12:40.

29. Re: Phil Fish Baits YouTube; Becomes Twitter Quitter Jun 19, 2014, 11:40 eRe4s3r

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 11:30:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 10:37:
HoSpanky wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 09:34:
I dot think Phil is entirely wrong here. People aren't just posting small bits of the game, they do multi-hour "let's play!" videos that basically show you the entire game. I'd be pissed if someone was getting PAID to display the game I'd spent years of my life making, in it's entirety. Movie companies shut down full feeds of their movies, and rightfully so. Aside from not being the active player, what's the difference between watching someone play thru an entire game you didnt buy, and watching a pirated movie? You still see all the content, free. And someone ELSE gets PAID to do this. I'd be cranky as well.
You can say piracy is unstoppable, and you'd be right. But YouTube is a legitimate company that is allowing essentially pirated videos to make people money. A game reviewer video isn't a problem here, those guys don't show you every piece of a game's story/puzzles/art. Is Phil an overreacting douche? Oh yeah. Jesus he's a spaz.

But I don't think he's completely wrong.

Your argument went completely into insanity land when you equaled watching someone playing games to watching copies of movies...

Games are entertainment content that you buy to play. And a developer that thinks someone recording himself playing his game is piracy is a nutjob. Unless that game was made to be watched instead of played, in which case that thing shouldn't even be called a game to begin with.

Art, Sound and Music are all secondary. Games are defined by GAMEPLAY something you can record but never replicate by watching.

Heck, the experience of watching a let's play and playing a game is completely different.

So, then you agree that it'd be OK to post a video of someone reading an entire book aloud on YouTube, and tolerated by the author? Because by your logic, it's a different experience, despite containing all of the media involved in the product. So the author should be cool with it, right?

Ehm, no. Books are passive entertainment. You read it, or somehow reads it, no difference to the experience of the content. Games are completely, absolutely, 100% different if you play them, vs if you watch someone playing them. What's different? The lack of agency or the fact that you have said agency. It's the difference between reading a book and playing a game.

When someone reads a book that changes absolutely nothing to the written words. But when someone plays a game that can make for fundamental different gameplay experience depending on the person. Not to mention that let's play's with Commentary are often additionally more entertaining than gameplay as-is.

So no, developers do NOT deserve money for let's plays. Because a let's play, even if it's from a SP game, is not replicating that game experience. And the reason someone would watch an ENTIRE let's play is either for money reasons (So would never ever buy the game) or because the platform he/she games on doesn't have it. In which case the developer is to blame for not catering to the markets that need catering to. Or the viewer wants to see the gameplay of the game beforehand a purchase. (Something reviews often FAIL at)

In all cases, if developers could actually monetize let's play's.. you know what happens? Nobody makes them anymore. And a let's play is pretty much the only way a developer gets my money nowadays.

News Comments > Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained
9. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 11:14 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 10:15:
I did not notice any of this stuff he is talking about in the dogfighting module.
Maybe the "realistic flight model" will be implemented later?
The enemy Ai ships had no problem stopping on a dime and take off at full speed in a totally different direction.
Maybe that is realistic in space I am not an astronaut so I have no idea, but in a video game it is frustrating.

If the game doesn't simulate G forces then turning on a dime is no problem. But if it does simulate G forces then stopping very quickly and turning on a dime would turn you into goo. .. so that should answer your question. Humans are not made for dogfighting space-combat, it's why nobody sane would build space-craft that are dogfighters.

If Battlestar Galactica had been "realistic" the Cylons would have completely pwned them in every engagement, because robots have vastly higher G force resistance and thus could out-maneuver any human vessel by several factors.

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: Op Ed Jun 19, 2014, 10:52 eRe4s3r

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 08:46:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 06:11:
really? You chose "SS" as your name?

Better call GM and complain to them about the usage, too. The Impala SS, the Camaro SS, Chevelle SS, Malibu SS, Nova SS, the Silverado SS, etc.

SS can also mean "Super Sport" and was made part of the American lexicon in 1961 with the release of the Impala SS. I'd wager that more Americans know SS from GM/Chevrolet than they do from history.

The fact that we are even talking about this would indicate some things

To me, a user with name SS is instantly ignored, because one has to assume he knows the meaning in historic context and if he wasn't a neonazi he at least knows that his name would make others assume that he is.

Of course, as I am German this might not surprise you, but the first thing I think of when reading SS is not Super Sport (in fact, thats like the last thing I would think off, 2nd would be Super Sampling and 3rd would be Solid State ;p) so whatever the case, it's a really, really bad user name if you want your opinion to not be instantly devalued

26. Re: Phil Fish Baits YouTube; Becomes Twitter Quitter Jun 19, 2014, 10:37 eRe4s3r

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 09:34:
I dot think Phil is entirely wrong here. People aren't just posting small bits of the game, they do multi-hour "let's play!" videos that basically show you the entire game. I'd be pissed if someone was getting PAID to display the game I'd spent years of my life making, in it's entirety. Movie companies shut down full feeds of their movies, and rightfully so. Aside from not being the active player, what's the difference between watching someone play thru an entire game you didnt buy, and watching a pirated movie? You still see all the content, free. And someone ELSE gets PAID to do this. I'd be cranky as well.
You can say piracy is unstoppable, and you'd be right. But YouTube is a legitimate company that is allowing essentially pirated videos to make people money. A game reviewer video isn't a problem here, those guys don't show you every piece of a game's story/puzzles/art. Is Phil an overreacting douche? Oh yeah. Jesus he's a spaz.

But I don't think he's completely wrong.

Your argument went completely into insanity land when you equaled watching someone playing games to watching copies of movies...

Games are entertainment content that you buy to play. And a developer that thinks someone recording himself playing his game is piracy is a nutjob. Unless that game was made to be watched instead of played, in which case that thing shouldn't even be called a game to begin with.

Art, Sound and Music are all secondary. Games are defined by GAMEPLAY something you can record but never replicate by watching.

Heck, the experience of watching a let's play and playing a game is completely different.

15. Re: Phil Fish Baits YouTube; Becomes Twitter Quitter Jun 18, 2014, 23:35 eRe4s3r

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 21:01:
I think his opinion on this is very wrong but the thing about Phil Fish is not that he has controversial opinions, it's that he always charges in and makes them in the most brash, assholeish way possible. Jonathan Blow had a lot of controversial opinions too but he always stated them eloquently and fostered debate. Fish just barges in and goes "I'm right, you're wrong!", then takes his ball, goes home and expected everyone to feel sorry for him. And a surprising number of people do. If you don't want to be thought of as an asshole, maybe stop being such an asshole?

Polytron just announced a deal with FINJI to help publish their new indie title. I'm sure those guys are thrilled to death that their publisher has now gone and pissed off the YouTube community who they were likely counting on for the tons of free publicity it's proven to give games of all sizes.

This is classic Internet behavior though.. I've seen it countless times and the people never change. They are the kind of people you never want to have in your community in any position of power.

13. Re: Phil Fish Baits YouTube; Becomes Twitter Quitter Jun 18, 2014, 22:35 eRe4s3r

Phil who?  

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2014, 11:26 eRe4s3r

Slashman wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 10:15:
So she references Witcher 2 and Mass Effect 2?

Mentioning Mass Effect 2 is especially hilarious given that you can play a female character.. but to know this this troll would have needed to actually play the game

Why you even reading these things..... do you expect well rounded and grounded in reality opinions from a blog that's called feministfrequency? Because I don't.. Whenever I see a link to these sites I get my popcorn and browse the comments

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 17, 2014, 04:12 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 20:10:
Why documenting testing Updating every Android version has become a logistical nightmare.

Fixed.

Fixed twice...

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 14, 2014, 23:10 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 17:26:
I kind of miss Topware's Earth 2150-60 franchise.

It's actually the Earth 2140 to 2160 franchise

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 8
4. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 8 Jun 14, 2014, 20:10 eRe4s3r

JaguarUSF wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 18:00:
After playing the beta, Battlefield Hardline felt like a $60 mod to me.

Same here, and netcode is just as shit as it was in BF4 pre-latest-patch

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 13, 2014, 21:28 eRe4s3r

NewMaxx wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 20:12:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 17:27:
Geh, I hope Nvidia doesn't buy AMD. That would be worse than Comcast buying TWC.

Nvidia has gotten out of the motherboard game, yet their future generation of GPUs (the one after Maxwell) points to the possibility of proprietary tech. Not saying it's going to happen (they already changed their minds once) but...it would work out a lot better for them if they had AMD in their corner. The main roadblock is Intel, who has avoided the discrete GPU game in a tactical move. They fear AMD and Nvidia together a lot more than they fear them separately, which is why they buoy AMD up and avoid Nvidia wherever possible.

You forget the tiny detail that Intel produces VASTLY superior CPU's and with 74% market share nothing AMD does is a danger to Intel...

And Nvidia and AMD together.. I would highly doubt that is even remotely possible. AMD doesn't even have enough cash for RnD and so is not a candidate for buying at all. What'd Nvidia gain from buying ATI? Overheating issues, even worse drivers?

And CPU wise amd can't compete against Intel, so Nvidia would gain nothing.

News Comments > Stronghold Crusader 2 in Beta; New Trailer
4. Re: Stronghold Crusader 2 in Beta; New Trailer Jun 13, 2014, 20:36 eRe4s3r

Xero wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 19:58:
Stronghold was awesome when it was sprite based. Unfortunately Firefly Studios has not gotten the 3D graphics department down yet and it lacks just about everywhere. Honestly, Age of Empires 3 still looks better than this with animations and physics.
It's like Firefly Studios has yet to acquire a "modern" graphics engine to build their games off of.

I think after they made their f2p game they completely forgot how to even make proper games anymore. Lets look at the thumbnail above... what do we see... same old Castle gate system that is a single point of a failure (Destroy it, huge hole...), same old tower system that creates completely illogical tower constructions atop walls (no door on wall level, no cover, no wooden elements to protect archers and troops, no roof on the gate tower....), still no control where the tower fins are on (which side) so you can not create multi level wall defenses without severely gimping yourself if the outer wall falls. Still same old "military building" integration in walls and the same resource storage system that does not sit in a proper building with proper management and logistic systems. And still a single granary....

Seriously, look at the video and tell me, what is different to previous Stronghold game? Everything looks identical except for the textures... and the walls even have the same glitches for gods sake (huge clipping issue in the THUMBNAIL ,p)

Sigh... so much hope I had for Firefly Studios, but this.. this is just so lazy.

7158 Comments. 358 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo