Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 6287 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 2, 2013, 13:06 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 12:48:
Ugh, I can't stand reading books on tablets (including the Kindle Fire). The brightness of the display is terrible late at night, keeps me awake later on and messes with melatonin production. I much prefer reading on non-LCD readers, tablets are fine for other things.

If you get a proper reader app you can switch the background to black and the text to white, it even regulates the brightness down automatically. Believe me, I used both but having to have a giant lamp on is even WORSE for you than white letters on black BG.

By the way, both MOBILE and PDA links here on Bluesnews are broken.

If was in the same boat as you, even have a 3rd Gen Kindle with keyboard because of that but I am converted ;p

It doesn't mess you up any more than reading bluesnews at night. ^^

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Breaks 7M Concurrent Users
4. Re: Steam Breaks 7M Concurrent Users Dec 2, 2013, 13:02 eRe4s3r

Beelzebud wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 13:00:
The slow lumbering death of PC gaming continues.

If we go by number of bugs on release...... then yeah Man, Sots 2, Stronghold 3, BF4, Rebirth, Sim City 5.... all buggy messes on release, 4 out 5 yet unfixed (BF4 is mostly OK now)

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 2, 2013, 12:44 eRe4s3r

I got a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for ebooks now. Superior in every way. Not being bound to Amazon for eternity is a nice plus.

I know could have gotten the 3 version but meh, it was 30 more expensive for nothing I really cared about.

News Comments > PC Battlefield 4 Patch This Week
24. Re: PC Battlefield 4 Patch This Week Dec 2, 2013, 09:35 eRe4s3r

Frags4Fun wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 08:15:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 18:27:
I will post it again since only 1 person responded - is it just me, or are the depth of textures not as good in BF4?

Maybe I am crazy.....

The map also loads levels of textures - I usually start a map with a floating gun - maybe I have some driver or gfx issues. Should be maxed with my 660 Ti OC.

Are you using AA Post Processing or whatever it's called? That seems to blur it a lot. As far as the floating gun, I have no idea. I haven't seen that.

You can see that if you have a SSD
You are loaded into the level (if you click spawn ASAP) before all textures are done loading. Happens to me every 2nd round, but it's the first 3 seconds of the game so nothing matters there.

News Comments > PC Battlefield 4 Patch This Week
21. Re: PC Battlefield 4 Patch This Week Dec 1, 2013, 21:26 eRe4s3r

Bucky wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 13:51:
Trevellian wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 13:37:
Fixed the "one-hit kill bug" where occasionally damage from a single bullet was applied multiple times

Fucking seriously?

Yes. I spent a lot of time not playing and waiting for the first patch just to fix the crash issues, and now I've spent more time not playing and waiting for the bloody One Hit Kill bug to get fixed. That and the insanely annoying screen blur.

I'll try playing again once this patch is released. If I run face first into another glaring bug that I can't overlook, I'll write the game off as a loss and wait for Titanfall to get my multiplayer fix.

You seem eerily hyped about Titalfall... remember what happens to hyped games when hype meets reality..... never ends well. ^^

Sure would want a better MP game than Battlefield though....

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 26, 2013, 11:52 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 11:33:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 11:10:
Because Direct X supports everything. Better performance won't convince any developer to spend money on Mantle if they have to spend money on Direct X support anyway.

And secondly, because I won't ever buy an ATI GPU So dead as an api, and dead to me personally

At least not an R290 that is...

I typically go NVidia, but if this proved itself and was supported and gave AMD an advantage, my money is up for best man wins.

There was an article though that stated Mantle can work with NVidia as well. We'll have to see how this all plays out.

Indeed, let's hope the political bullshit is left out. If Mantle were a 100% agnostic api it would be a fundamental change in PC gaming and the performance gains would be fundamental. (For engines written 100% for Mantle only). Heck, it would push gaming ahead a good 5 years (technology only ,p) just with a software update!

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 26, 2013, 11:10 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 10:48:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 07:19:
Slinkycatz wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 22:58:
"
with Mantle, the CPU "should never really be a bottleneck for the GPU anymore." In a separate demonstration, Oxide showed their Mantle-enabled space game suffering no frame rate hit when the FX-8350 processor on which it ran was underclocked to 2GHz, or half its base speed.
"

A lot of interesting info in that article.

I wonder how this would impact a game like ArmA 3 or others where people complain about frame rate issues.

It would impact it massively, the D3D11 call overhead is massive and most games hitching is directly related to a starved driver thread (OpenGL is equally bad)... however

At present, Mantle support is limited to Windows systems with graphics processors based on AMD's Graphics Core Next architecture. Games written using Mantle will run on discrete Radeons from the HD 7000 series onward, and they'll work on upcoming Kaveri APUs, too.

If this does not support ALL gpu's AMD might as well try to polish sandcorns on the beach. I know they said they want to try, but I don't care for "maybe". Mantle needs to be 100% platform agnostic to have any chance to compete against D3D.

We'll see I guess, in the end early adoption is not indicative of success. If it doesn't support Nvidia when it first releases to public, it's going to be dead by definition. No game maker can afford not to support nvidia gpu's.

Why would it be dead by definition if it doesnt support Nvidia? Im not really sure I follow your logic. It would be up to the game developers to choose to support the API, if they ignore it they can simply fall back to DirectX which is still supported by Nvidia and AMD. Dont forget that the next generation consoles are equipped with AMD GPUs, so most of the ports to the PC will probably be supporting Mantle.

Because Direct X supports everything. Better performance won't convince any developer to spend money on Mantle if they have to spend money on Direct X support anyway.

And secondly, because I won't ever buy an ATI GPU So dead as an api, and dead to me personally

At least not an R290 that is...

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 2013, 11:15.

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 26, 2013, 07:19 eRe4s3r

Slinkycatz wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 22:58:
"
with Mantle, the CPU "should never really be a bottleneck for the GPU anymore." In a separate demonstration, Oxide showed their Mantle-enabled space game suffering no frame rate hit when the FX-8350 processor on which it ran was underclocked to 2GHz, or half its base speed.
"

A lot of interesting info in that article.

I wonder how this would impact a game like ArmA 3 or others where people complain about frame rate issues.

It would impact it massively, the D3D11 call overhead is massive and most games hitching is directly related to a starved driver thread (OpenGL is equally bad)... however

At present, Mantle support is limited to Windows systems with graphics processors based on AMD's Graphics Core Next architecture. Games written using Mantle will run on discrete Radeons from the HD 7000 series onward, and they'll work on upcoming Kaveri APUs, too.

If this does not support ALL gpu's AMD might as well try to polish sandcorns on the beach. I know they said they want to try, but I don't care for "maybe". Mantle needs to be 100% platform agnostic to have any chance to compete against D3D.

We'll see I guess, in the end early adoption is not indicative of success. If it doesn't support Nvidia when it first releases to public, it's going to be dead by definition. No game maker can afford not to support nvidia gpu's.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
17. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 25, 2013, 21:18 eRe4s3r

Bludd wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 16:47:
Creston wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 12:52:
higher cosmic ray-induced neutron strikes.

Sounds legit!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_rays#Effect_on_electronics

Which makes you wonder all the more why someone builds a super computer 2km above sea level. You'd think the people in need of a super computer would be aware of this effect?

16. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 25, 2013, 21:13 eRe4s3r

Bludd wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 08:13:
Winamp died for me the day foobar2000 was born.

It would be something to consider, if foobar2000 wouldn't both look and function like a total mess under Windows 7. The default GUI is an atrocity to eyes and the foobar2000 media library is inferior in every, single, way to Winamp.

But what kills it, is that it doesn't whip a llama's ass. Meaning, Foobar2000 has no style.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 25, 2013, 18:56 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 18:03:
Between those benches, it's a two tie all tie across the board. Cyrus from the Warriors is calling, saying fighting over a few FPS here or there doesn't even matter.

The fps they measured are completely worthless to boot, they didn't measure the time between frames, they measures the average fps... pointless statistics are pointless. FPS says nothing, what humans perceive as lag and hitches is the variation in delay between frame 1 to frame 2 to frame 3 etc. And apparently Windows 8 does something that causes BF4 to run properly.. while on Windows 7 it runs like literal crap.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
115. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2013, 07:46 eRe4s3r

Condolences are in order

News Comments > Steam Top 10
35. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 20:01 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 17:09:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 17:02:
The worst thing is imo the abysmal performance, the game does nothing that warrants bad FPS, few ships on screen, terrible AI and relatively empty sectors, lots of fake traffic that follows fixed routes and has even LESS AI ... sigh

They have admitted there is a bug in the engine. There's a sync issue between the main part and the renderer that's causing the renderer to wait too long. It's in the pipeline to be fixed.

Words do not fix things ;p Admitting an issue exists, and saying they will fix it are 2 different things as well. The real bummer is this issue was there when THEY played their own game, and they thought this horrible performance with what little is going on in this game was OK? They never bothered to ever optimize this, not a single day of coding was spent on it, and that's the real bummer, 7 years and they forgot the optimization pass?

I know egosoft, I played X3 when it came out and uninstalled it a day later and X3 AP is one of my most favorite games but the problem is that I have 0 trust left in Egosoft...

Even if Rebirth ran with constant 100 fps, which for what little the game is showing at any one time on screen is what it really should run at... even if that were the case we would still be left with a game that is an empty devoid husk. 1 Ship, no longterm motivation. Exploration can be done within few hours.

A bad game does never become a good game just because they patch it. SOTS 2 is proof ;p

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 17:02 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 16:53:
Slashman wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 11:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 10:29:
Unbelievable that people are still buying the broken and buggy mess that is X Rebirth... sad really.

The power of overhyped trailers.

They are making a killing.

The number of people playing though, is not that high. I guess people are buying and then discovering what it is they bought.

A lot of people (like myself) are just waiting for a good series of patches to have come out before trying it again. they've already fixed a good slew of bugs and shit that plain didn't work, but they're also still introducing new bugs because of the zero testing they're doing on these patches.

Still, in eight days they released 7 patches.

The worst thing is imo the abysmal performance, the game does nothing that warrants bad FPS, few ships on screen, terrible AI and relatively empty sectors, lots of fake traffic that follows fixed routes and has even LESS AI ... sigh

Rebirth was my biggest misbuy so far. I really REALLY wanted this game to be good, and a proper successor to the imo great but slightly flawed X3 TC/AP ... but Rebirth has besides the bug, terrible design isssues ,/

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 17:00 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 16:52:
Crustacean Soup wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 15:39:
Kosumo wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 14:57:
Totally enjoying Blackflag. Never played or seen a AC game before this one (I'm a big Pirates! fan form back in the amiga days).

Been singing sea shanty while in the shower!

Singing Sally Brown is the one ....
How is the ship stuff? What's the balance of ship stuff to not ship stuff? I have played the other ACs, and the melee combat looks pretty much the same as the others, so it's the ships I'm interested in.

There's not ship stuff, but most of it (so far for me anyway), is ship stuff. Plus, you can really spend as much time on the ship stuff as you want anyway, because for a nice change, you can finally do things before the storyline opens them up for you.

So if you want to upgrade and go further south and fight harder opponents, go right ahead. (there's a limit to how much upgrading you can do before you need to progress the story, but it's a good few levels of upgrades, rather than the typical "you can not upgrade a single fucking thing until you continue the missions.")

Strangely enough, I even find the modern day stuff not as bad, because I am kinda curious to see what Abstergo is doing with Desmond's body.

Also helps the modern day stuff is no longer 3rd person platforming, but rather a very relaxing first person exploration section with plenty of easter eggs and meta comments to be found. And the ocean and graphics during storms/rain is the most stunning thing I have seen in gaming for.. a long long time. Giant waves, even the detail that crew gets thrown about and the water on deck flows in the direction the ship is leaning... so many tiny details that all add to the realism.

Only thing I don't like is that you can evade sticky situations by boarding a smaller ship and repairing and that the diving bell upgrade is fairly long way into the story missions. But the game oozes atmosphere and polish.. well a few odd animations during boarding excluded.. but holy hell, it's a proper pirate game. It is the hands down best and most awesome depiction of (arcade) naval battles and it does the ocean EXTREMELY well. It's not 100% realistic, but bloody hell it looks and feels visceral and amazing, and that's what gaming is supposed to be about!

4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 24, 2013, 16:52 eRe4s3r

How can it be dead when I still have the installer for the pro version 5.63 .... it will never die! And I will never let this crappy Apple iTunes touch my PC  

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 10:29 eRe4s3r

Unbelievable that people are still buying the broken and buggy mess that is X Rebirth... sad really.  

News Comments > X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans
63. Re: First actual reviews... Nov 19, 2013, 23:08 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 18:30:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 16:08:
rate it 20/100 and 38/100

Wow Honesty in reviews?

Egosoft doesn't have the money to buy good review scores, like for example EA did with SimCity.

Don't remind me of that game please... I am still not over it! Every few months I start it up to see if anything has changed.. and.. NOPE. It's still fundamentally flawed.. sigh

61. First actual reviews... Nov 19, 2013, 16:08 eRe4s3r

rate it 20/100 and 38/100

Wow Honesty in reviews? What's the world come to! I think now we know why there was not a single review copy given to anyone.

60. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 19, 2013, 14:26 eRe4s3r

Slashman wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 08:58:
Quboid wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 20:11:
What's the latest X3, is it Albion Prelude? (Edit: seems AP is the newest but it needs TC; 20 for the pack - nope.) Is there an all-in-one mod for that which you guys recommend?

The mod list (thanks SpectralMeat, Taskeen) is interesting. It's encouraging that there's already these fixes, even if many of them should have been in the game from the start.

Get X3 Albion Prelude and install the XRM mod. I think it is the definitive X3 all in one mod. Makes a lot of sensible changes and adds some challenge where needed. Including some graphics tweaks and lots of new ships to play around with.

All this talk made me install it again as well. Not just XRM, but also various scripts (MARS, NPC Bail Script, Cheat Script and "OK Trader")

X3 AP + XRM is simply the better game imo. Using cheat script to give my ships faster speeds and circumvent one of the XRM limitations (Docking computer is XXL size)

6287 Comments. 315 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo