Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 8728 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Machine Preorders
15. Re: Steam Machine Preorders Jun 4, 2015, 15:33 eRe4s3r

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 15:09:
Is there a point to Steamlink if you can just hook up a video cable to your TV? Wouldn't there be more latency going through another device?

In that case you obviously don't need it. But when distance becomes an issue HDMI cables are actually more expensive than Steamlink (assuming the price remains that) ;p And HDMI does not give you controller support with longer distances involved either.

So the answer is. It always depends on your setup. Steamlink is basically a very narrow use case, that fits some, doesn't fit others. Considering it interlinks with steam controller and keyboard/mouse it can save you the HTPC and allows you to span large distances via already existing network. (And LAN cables are very cheap compared to HDMI cables)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Steam Machine Preorders Jun 4, 2015, 13:39 eRe4s3r

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 13:29:
I am not going to be one of the early adopters for this, but somewhere down the line I will probably get one. I have so much stuff on Steam now, some of which is actually playable with a gamepad, (assuming you can't also hook up a keyboard/mouse to the device) that the Steam Machine would be a nice option, assuming it will also run:

Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.

And Windows games... for me there isn't even really a point to these machines. Get Steamlink + controller, and you can play anything your gaming RIG can play on your TV (assuming you have some kind of NIC or HTPC). For 100 that's a superb offer imo. And it streams windows games just fine

But as you say, such a box needs to support everything else a media center can do. Steamlink+controller is only 100, and that's imo a great offer and gives you some neat abilities.

Essentially, this competes directly with Intel NUC, which is imo far superior if you use it as stream client, it uses Windows and is cheaper. Bit baffled what the point of this box is...

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2015, 13:45.

News Comments > Big Pharma Beta Access for Preorders
3. Re: Big Pharma Beta Access for Preorders Jun 4, 2015, 13:26 eRe4s3r

Task wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 13:16:
Regarding the related videos, that's pretty poignant. This game is basically a semi-simulator of the state of the horrid Health/Pharma Industry.

Exactly, I wonder if they tagged it this way intentionally?

But it's really not that good of a simulator for Big Pharma, no bribing doctors to only supply YOUR medication. No licensing deals, no cheating on studies... no way to bribe law maker to put you above the law for human trials in 3rd world countries.. etc. etc. Maybe the biggest missing thing, addiction factor of medication. ADHD medicating specifically is HUGELY addicting and thus often has far more severe side-effects than just what the medication itself has.

Really, if this is about Big Pharma, the game needs to boost it's asshole factor by several 100% From the looks of it though, it looks like a mix of Infinifactor and Theme Hospital.. but it ain't on Steam.. so whatever.

2. Re: Steam Machine Preorders Jun 4, 2015, 13:21 eRe4s3r

Steampowered.com/hardware doesn't actually exist. Marking fail?

Proper link is http://store.steampowered.com/hardware/

News Comments > Big Pharma Beta Access for Preorders
1. Re: Big Pharma Beta Access for Preorders Jun 4, 2015, 12:54 eRe4s3r

Related videos for this are a riot  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 4, 2015, 10:00 eRe4s3r

And yet you can count the decent MS games on PC on 1 hand.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 3, 2015, 19:54 eRe4s3r

"You know nothing, John Snow"  

News Comments > 3D Mini Golf Released
6. Re: 3D Mini Golf Released Jun 3, 2015, 13:16 eRe4s3r

In this case? Yes.. no reason to save on polygons in a game like this.  

News Comments > 3D Mini Golf Released
4. Re: 3D Mini Golf Released Jun 3, 2015, 11:35 eRe4s3r

prolly 2 people will get that reference  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
17. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 3, 2015, 11:31 eRe4s3r

Game still looks like GameBryo.. at this point probably heavily modified. Hopefully it's going to be a 64bit engine though....  

News Comments > Final Fantasy Type-0 HD for PC Revealed
8. Re: Final Fantasy Type-0 HD for PC Revealed Jun 2, 2015, 20:46 eRe4s3r

Hah, yeah I do remember.. and believe it or not. Your posts and our talks back before xmas in 2014 made me get the game after all. And I am glad I jumped over my shadow on that one.

And yeah, FF13-2 oozed atmosphere and pure love for the game by the developers.

few Screenshots to remind ourselves what western developers can never achieve.

-> http://imgur.com/X7dbaTo
-> http://imgur.com/kkng5p9
-> http://imgur.com/zEnPiT7
-> http://imgur.com/e7BFcwB
-> http://imgur.com/5AKwKn6

This game is raw pure WEIRD japanese fantasy, and it never once forgets it. And I loved it for it.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2015, 20:52.

6. Re: Final Fantasy Type-0 HD for PC Revealed Jun 2, 2015, 20:14 eRe4s3r

FF13-2 was actually one of the first Final Fantasy games in nearly a decade that I adored to hell and back too, I completed it (nearly) 100% so all the time mysteries and the side-stories etc. and that's saying something. Especially because I absolutely hated FF13 and I could write a few page long rants as to why. I absolutely LOVED exploring this weird world. And the start of the game is imo one of the better ones in Final Fantasy.

Guess part of the reason is that in FF13-2, you play Serah and Noel nearly entirely in all fights. And as silly as it sounds, but I *really* liked them. Noel and Serah were a great combo, both had great abilities and the leveling wasn't as annoying as it was in FF13 and the game was visually extremely diverse, and in parts, typically japanese absurdly, impressive (rain drops running down bodies, wet clothing, freezing in snowy weather...). Not to mention that characters I absolutely hated in FF13, were no longer total dickheads in FF13-2.

Game was also a superbly nice game with the various PC related "fixes" ;p

3. Re: Final Fantasy Type-0 HD for PC Revealed Jun 2, 2015, 19:51 eRe4s3r

So I am the 3rd person here that... actually is interested in this?

I actually, and I am nearly ashamed to say this... really liked FF13-2 ;/ I also want Lightning Returns

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 2, 2015, 19:31 eRe4s3r

I think Russia demeaned itself well enough by illegally annexing the Crimea. If I'd be a cynic I would think Russia does this intentionally to turn the Western World against it as nobody could have been stupid enough to think an annexation this close to European core powers would go unanswered or unpunished.

It doesn't change the fact that you are of course correct, everyone does it, and Russia is singled out here. But WHY that is is obvious. Nobody except Russia annexed an area in a sovereign country. So whatever the case, Russia is the evil in this painting of Cold War 2 - The Making Of

News Comments > Steam Expands Refund Policy
13. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 15:28 eRe4s3r

Rigs wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 15:00:
bhcompy wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:53:
LittleMe wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:51:
Nice! Two hours is fine for some games, not for others. I suspect if we disconnect from the Internet and play and those hours won't be counted.

You have to reconnect to the internet to do the refund and those hours are counted by the overlay.

Yeah, but you can easily go into the game directory and run it without Steam being online. I wonder how they'll handle that with people that use cracks to get around that restriction. I applaud Valve for finally stepping up to the plate and being a respected market leader they're seen as but I foresee a lot of hassle with this with such vague language for returns like 'for any reason'. I fear that will come back to bite them in the long run...and later, us as well...

=-Rigs-=

most games start the overlay no matter how you start them though, offline or not. Some games even flat-out refuse to start via direct exe when steam doesn't run.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 2, 2015, 10:28 eRe4s3r

Define media

If it's anything readable, on a screen, on tv, on radio

Then yes, we do. Unless you work in a cave with no power

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jun 2, 2015, 09:29 eRe4s3r

But... WHY even mention that in the article? I would have applauded him had he not done this. Now I know what he thinks about Gamer Gate, in an article that lambasts lack of journalistic integrity on Polygon. There is a joke there, somewhere.

Point is, I just don't want to read about it anymore.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2015, 09:06 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 08:46:
Neighbours can be very scary. They usually don't fall into a person's intimate circle, and yet other than close friends they are the people who know you best. I have a nosy neighbour two floors below me who claims that she can hear my girlfriend when she walks in heels on my tiled kitchen floor. Two. Floors. Down. I kid you not.

As someone who lived in such a situation, he does not kid you either. Walking with heels in-house should be banned, but you wouldn't believe how many women have NO CLUE how insanely loud they are with these things. One night here, a women walked briskly with heels (total silence outside contributed to this), and I kid you not, the entire neighborhood awoke over this, lights going, people looking outside.

InBlack wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 08:46:
What she was doing digging through my trash in the first place...fuck if I know. But hateful and nosy neighbours are scary as fuck and can make life in a closely knit neighbourhood hell on earth.

Amen to that, by the way. My motto is, if it doesn't directly affect me, then I don't give a flying fuck what my neighbors do. But I will mention that I had my fair share of neighborly absurdities. One of my neighbors once complained that my fence was too "rinky" and.. I ignored her, asked my landlord whether my fence was OK and a year later, she moved out. So whatever. Living here for 5 years now gives me more power against such bullshit.

Also as neighbor you really do notice a lot of things. My current neighbor is probably getting divorced, 2 children that are super friendly and nice and I see them every day. It nearly breaks my heart seeing how they got sadder and more serious over time. If I could do something, I... dunno if I would. It is really hard to not start poking your nose in business that you have no business with.

Generally speaking, the best thing are still new neighbors that park in front of the carport, and then wonder when I (and several other family members too!) get REALLY angry. There are 2 signs that specifically say, you park here, we tow your car. You wouldn't believe how many people just flat out ignore that. But so far nobody did it more than once, so whatever, again.

All this stuff makes you wish for Armageddon though.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2015, 09:11.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jun 2, 2015, 08:38 eRe4s3r

He was on a good run, until he brought Gamer Gate into this...  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 2, 2015, 05:58 eRe4s3r

jimnms wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 05:36:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 19:05:
Somehow I can only think that "inaccessible areas" also have a shortage of battery recharge stations.

Also I .. didn't want to mention it.. but where I live we have this fancy thing called stairwells. That machine seems to be defeated by that, just like the Daleks (and zombies) ;p

Daleks can hover.

Spoiler!

8728 Comments. 437 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo