Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 7290 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Open Letter to the Gaming Community
35. Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 3, 2014, 01:04 eRe4s3r

Desalus wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 12:33:
Verno wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 11:10:
After all we did such a good job eliminating it from narrower sources, let alone the internet.
Take a stand everyone, take a stand on taking a stand too while you're at it Bulb

In no way am I saying it's practical to eliminate it entirely. I just don't see a problem with people making an effort to reduce the undesirable behavior of the community.

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 11:49:
Open letter is not equal to "taking a stand"
Aside that I agree But it's the Internet. Nobody is gonna change it, not even feminists.

The open letter is asking the community to “take a public stand against it”, so I’m pretty sure that qualifies this open letter as ‘taking a stand’. But I'm curious...what in your mind would qualify as ‘taking a stand’?

You take stand by actions, not by petitions. Signing something online makes absolutely no difference to anyone. As long as SJW media is around this war will not end anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 3, 2014, 00:58 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 23:23:
The judge's original July ruling endorsed the US government's position that it should be able to access the world's servers. "It is a question of control, not a question of the location of that information," Preska ruled.

That's both reasonable and rationale. I have to say, I agree with that. Just because MS has something stashed away in another country, they are the ones that are controlling it and they are ultimately a US company subject to US law - in theory at any rate.

Except they are also subject to the laws where the data resides and in this case obeying US law would mean violating European law.

News Comments > Open Letter to the Gaming Community
9. Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 11:49 eRe4s3r

Desalus wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 11:07:
In my opinion the community would be a much better place without the threats of violence, harm, hateful, and harassing speech. I'm not sure what reason there is to get so irate about people taking a stand against it.

Open letter is not equal to "taking a stand"

Aside that I agree But it's the Internet. Nobody is gonna change it, not even feminists.

News Comments > Memorial Crowdfunding Roundup
7. Re: Memorial Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 2, 2014, 06:09 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 05:32:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 00:45:
bigspender wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 23:38:
I think using 4mm coroplast/corflute would be the way to go, it would last for ever. (provided you put out your cigarettes on it lol.

Even better would be if it was somehow foldable like a concertina, so you can hide it easily and even take it somewhere if needed.

Car cockpits would be the way to go, I'd imagine the market would be bigger too.
It's the only way I'll own a lambo

Yeah.. someone ought to tell him that the market for car cockpits is like 500000 times larger ;p If it can support wheels, shifter and pedal it might be something I'd have instantly pledged for. This is gonna be vital stuff for VR, since this construction is very light, and so "full body force-feedback" would be way cheaper to realize.

Near the bottom of the KS it shows that one of the future projects could be an F1 cockpit.

But what's the chance for this KS to succeed and that particular cockpit ever being made? I think these guys have a great idea, but it might not be such a hit on KS. Especially as they only have 1 prototype (understandable, but they need at least a car cockpit too)

News Comments > Op Ed
281. Re: Op Ed Sep 2, 2014, 05:22 eRe4s3r

Quinn wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 05:02:
Beamer wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 02:30:
It's interesting. I just finished Crysis 2. Only one female character, but a particularly strong female character. Well, not that any characters in that game are particularly strong.

And I'm in Max Payne 3 now. Most of the females are basically sex workers or stupid party girls you need to rescue. But it's in Brazil, playing to the noir aspect. Still, that part feels more Rockstar and less Max Payne. Unless a female pops out of the woodwork soon, I don't really have a sense for how far into the game I am.

Yeah, well, it's developers like Rockstar that do "deserve" a militant-feminist beating. Their approach and/or view on women seems to be that of a 16 year-old, with a PS controller in his left hand and his penis in his right. In fact, it's the entire image of Rockstar for me. It's kind of a paradox that their games are so extremely solid nonetheless.

It's Rockstar's right to make sexist games, though they are certainly very good at that... GTA isn't an example I would deny if someone said that is sexist. No female protagonists in ANY rockstar game ever. At least Saints Row has females that kick-ass, not sure that is sexist, but it sure as hell is a lot less sexist than GTA ever was.. at least relating to that I can understand females... it's no fun to always play macho gangstahs, or macho ex-cops

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Sep 2, 2014, 05:18 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 22:44:
Smoking Ban Snuffing Out South Korea’s Internet Cafes…

Welcome to the 21st century.

Smoking ban is about the only good thing about this century so far.. just wish cigarettes were banned entirely.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Sep 2, 2014, 02:41 eRe4s3r

I owned qnap nas for a while.. but once the fan failed I had nothing but trouble, no replacement from QNAP, no service (guarantee had run out) and you know what turned out broke.. no, not the fan! The entire mainboard fan power supply circuit (had a giant black spot, as if something melted)

Never again ;/

5. Re: Memorial Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 2, 2014, 00:45 eRe4s3r

bigspender wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 23:38:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 21:47:
This is actually really cool ;p (Ps, that kind of ribbed construction is likely more durable than most cheap tables too) Yes, cardboard can be extremely durable After all, they made car chassis out of that stuff once...

More interesting is if this gets a CAR cockpit kind of setup too, because for VR the correct position of wheel, pedal and shifter is extremely important. And if you ever tried, you know what a huge hassle setting up locations for that is.

I think using 4mm coroplast/corflute would be the way to go, it would last for ever. (provided you put out your cigarettes on it lol.

Even better would be if it was somehow foldable like a concertina, so you can hide it easily and even take it somewhere if needed.

Car cockpits would be the way to go, I'd imagine the market would be bigger too.
It's the only way I'll own a lambo

Yeah.. someone ought to tell him that the market for car cockpits is like 500000 times larger ;p If it can support wheels, shifter and pedal it might be something I'd have instantly pledged for. This is gonna be vital stuff for VR, since this construction is very light, and so "full body force-feedback" would be way cheaper to realize.

News Comments > Op Ed
276. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 22:39 eRe4s3r

Sho wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 22:26:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 22:01:
Which is it?

Hmm I think this is a good translation:

"So eine (Frau) willst Du als Beispiel für gesunden Menschenverstand nennen?"

Note the diff between "eine Frau" und "diese Art Frau". You're specifying a gender in both, but because the latter allows for other types of women, the gender isn't central info - it's just because she happens to be a woman.

I.e. it's really a "the kind of person who ..." thing and the woman bit is just incidental. A German would write "so jemanden" then, but this is an odd case where colloquial English is more gendered than German (usually it's the other way around). If you actually wrote "This kind of person" in English it would actually have a more inflammatory timbre to it because it has moral overtones ("bad person"). He could have used "someone like that", but I guess it's just not his writing style.

I really don't think it was a play on gender.

Thank you. Mhh, I will take this to heart. It seems I blamed Beamer wrongly. It really makes more sense if you read it as "So eine willst du als Beispiel nennen....?" that certainly doesn't have focus on her gender. I just simply didn't consider that.

Ps.: Very Interesting how our 2 translations differ though, It seems I have been formed by other stylist tones and now always assume that tone in my translations. That is something to keep in mind for the future. Had you not mentioned it, I may never have noticed.

So... sorry Beamer. ;p (Now the world will end)

PPs.: And thanks SHO for taking the time to explain.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2014, 22:47.

News Comments > Op Ed
274. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 22:01 eRe4s3r

Sho wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 20:53:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 20:18:
You are portraying her as something to make your point, and in doing that you use her sex and work against the opinions she shared on twitter (you yourself said "This is a women you want to cite for common sense?" in order to counter OUR argument.

I realize this is probably going to earn me a "you and Beamer are in cahoots" again, but I really think you just misread the sex/gender part. Writing "This is a (wo)man)" is just a common figure of speech in English and not meant to call out the person's gender. It's just a gender-fitted version of "This is a person". If you wanted to highlight the gender, you'd phrase it "Do you really want to trust a woman on this?" or similar. I mean, come on, if Beamer were guilty of everything he gets accused of in this thread, that would be one epic fuckup since it doesn't fit his supposed agenda in any way.

(I realize the fun factor of the two German guys in the thread debating the finer points of the English tongue.)

So you are saying when he says "This is a women you want to cite for common sense?" he does not play on her gender? To me that sounds like sarcasm (I mean what he wrote) ie "Why would you quote a women that works at *** for your argument, she is a WOMEN and she WORKS there, she not able to show common sense".

I don't mind arguing finer points of language, how else would we learn if not by making mistakes and being made aware of them? It's perfectly possible that this is a problem with my translation of that sentence. How would you translate it?

For me it reads either as this

"Du zitierst diese Frau als Beispiel gesunden Menschverstands?

Or as this

"Du zitierst eine Frau als Beispiel gesunden Menschverstands?

Which is it?

he said "a women" not "this women" So the 2nd translation is what I read. Is that wrong? Is it a common phrase? To say "that women" as in "that person" ? If so then I am really not reading "a women" as "diese Frau" sondern als "eine Frau"

Hope I am not too confusing here ;p

Ps.: If that is indeed a common phrase and I mistranslated it then I would indeed have blamed Beamer for something he couldn't possibly have meant.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2014, 22:14.

3. Re: Memorial Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 1, 2014, 21:47 eRe4s3r

This is actually really cool ;p (Ps, that kind of ribbed construction is likely more durable than most cheap tables too) Yes, cardboard can be extremely durable After all, they made car chassis out of that stuff once...

More interesting is if this gets a CAR cockpit kind of setup too, because for VR the correct position of wheel, pedal and shifter is extremely important. And if you ever tried, you know what a huge hassle setting up locations for that is.

News Comments > RAYA Sound Engine
5. Re: RAYA Sound Engine Sep 1, 2014, 20:56 eRe4s3r

bigspender wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 19:04:
I think a lot people under estimate how important good audio is in games. Ever watched a deleted scene on a bonus DVD, how strange things sound without all of the enhancements, and music. It's not like graphics which are in your face obvious, sound is very subtle but just as important as graphics.

I have a high end 5.1 system, I do not under appreciate sound Now youtube is a bad place to demo this anyway.. but realistic is not always better. Especially in gaming.

News Comments > Op Ed
271. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 20:47 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 20:33:
And eraser, saying "this is the woman" doesn't mean I'm using her gender, thank you. She is, in fact, a woman. And though she calls herself a feminist, her body of work isn't on feminism and the impact on women, but rather decrying feminism due to the impact on men. Nearly everything she writes is about men, not about women. That's her specialty.

But that has no relevance when she posts opinions as her twitter feed is clearly her own opinion even if paid for. Maybe I worded it wrong (no, actually I said battleship sunk, I never implied you were sexist ,p), I don't think you were sexist, I said you were doing what SJW's are doing and accusing us of doing. (yay)

And if I didn't said that in previous post I must go back and edit that. Because that's what I meant

Ps.: On second thought, I am too lazy to do that, so just imagine my other post says that ;p

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2014, 20:53.

News Comments > Op Ed
270. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 20:36 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 17:58:
Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 15:33:

And it has NOTHING to do with the topic. It's another distraction to get you talking about something irrelevant or overload the conversation with so much garbage the original topic is lost. You're either falling for it now or you are part of the problem.

Wait, you're the "oligarchy" guy, right? Forget it.

Who's paying for the opinion is important context.

No it actually isn't when it comes to social issues. If the opinion has face value on it's own it should be regarded as such. Even if it was "paid for" by a think tank. You are acting as if nobody had an agenda and only those who don't have an agenda should be taken serious. If we followed that line of reasoning no opinion would be worth anything. Not mine, not yours, not anyones. Because everyone has an agenda.

News Comments > Op Ed
268. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 20:18 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 12:19:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 06:30:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 05:42:
Beamer wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 13:47:

Citation on the wonderful work her employer, the American Enterprise Institute, does to make sure the Koch Brothers and their peers stay super rich while the rest of us suffer.
This is a woman you want to cite for common sense?
Congrats. You've just done exactly what the sjw's are claiming that other people are doing. Not only did you attack her for her sex, but you also attacked her for her work without any factual refutations.

Shots fired... and battleship sunk.

What? No it isn't. I never attacked her sex, nor did I fail to cite her work. I have no clue what that guy is going on about, but since you said he sunk my battleship, I'd like you, not him, to point it out, as it seems like you quoted him just to be against me, as what he said has zero validity. Jdreyer has even quoted my citation, in case you have me on ignore, so it's easy to see.

What, why would I ignore you? That would be childish... I literally have not a single person here on Ignore, I just don't always have time to reply.

You are portraying her as something to make your point, and in doing that you use her sex and work against the opinions she shared on twitter (you yourself said "This is a women you want to cite for common sense?" in order to counter OUR argument.(Not sure you did that intentionally or it was born out of the argument itself..). That is imo the very definition of what SJW's accused US (Gamers) of doing.

That she is a women and that she does work for a questionable employee, sure.. all correct. But that does not change her stance on this issue nor her feminist views, by linking these things together you made more or less an indirect ad-hominem attack. And it does not change the quality of her opinions. You were basically saying "Because she works there for those guys, her opinions are worthless"

Maybe that is only how it is interpreted by us because of our way of thinking in this case. But you have to admit that your argumentation is a bit weird. Instead of attacking OUR opinion you attacker HER's by portraying her in certain way to heighten the value of your argument and in doing so tried to lower the value of our argument, not by making statements in regards to our views, but by linking to where she works. Heck, If she were a male I would still call you out on this. It is just bad form in argumentation to not reply to something that is said, but to try to reduce validity of arguments through this way of argumentation.

But as I say, it is maybe not something you do with the intention that we perceive. Maybe it's us that see this and others don't?

TLDR: You tried to deflect by strawmen argument. (Where she works is COMPLETELY irrelevant to her feminist views)

Ps.: Holy crap, 63 typo's.. that's what I get for drinking coffee while typing

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2014, 20:29.

News Comments > RAYA Sound Engine
2. Re: RAYA Sound Engine Sep 1, 2014, 11:21 eRe4s3r

Ah.. now I can finally say..

Realistic? Yes.. even impressive in terms of tech...

But it sounds absefuckinglutely horrible!!! in that mp example

So.. yay? Realistic sound that sounds like crap, or wrong sound that sounds awesome? I know what I'd pick....

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2014, 10:43 eRe4s3r

Fion wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 20:21:
I wouldn't say Season 2 of Walking Dead is better than S1 at all. The first three episodes were pretty average (save perhaps the first). That said, it did end with a bang and a lot of potential for next season considering how wildly the ending varies based on choices.

I will say that by the end I was as emotionally distraught as I was by the end of S1. Especially with what happens to Clem 2/3 the way through. It still amazes me that this is the only game to elicit as large an emotional response as a great book or a terrific movie. I've seen some people say the same about Bioshock: Infinite with Elizabeth but the final events of the Rapture DLC Ep2 had not remotely the same impact on me as S2Ep5 of Walking Dead has, let alone the later episodes of S1.

Yep pretty much agree. The 2nd season wasn't particularly strong but it still was one hell of an emotional wtf ride.. especially the ending.... too bad these short episodes don't really lend themselves to lots of characterization

News Comments > Op Ed
252. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 07:59 eRe4s3r

ASeven wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 07:37:
Article critical of the agendas in the gaming press.

I liked this comment

If you're not careful people may start thinking that you're actually trying to communicate information rather than childish contempt!

Haha ,)

News Comments > Op Ed
250. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 06:30 eRe4s3r

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 05:42:
Beamer wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 13:47:

Citation on the wonderful work her employer, the American Enterprise Institute, does to make sure the Koch Brothers and their peers stay super rich while the rest of us suffer.
This is a woman you want to cite for common sense?
Congrats. You've just done exactly what the sjw's are claiming that other people are doing. Not only did you attack her for her sex, but you also attacked her for her work without any factual refutations.

Shots fired... and battleship sunk.

News Comments > Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced
13. Re: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced Sep 1, 2014, 02:01 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 18:48:
Problem is I *still* remember these games backwards and forwards. And while they were great I have no desire to go back to them. Why don't they pony up some more dough and make some new CPRGs ala PE, W2, DoS, Shadowrun, et al? I'd be far more interested in that then these old games being updated a bit.

Either that or update some friggin games that would really benefit from it, like Outlaws in the UE4 engine or something.

I am in the same boat. I played Icewind dale 1 and 2, was good. But no motivation to replay. even BG2, as much as I love that is imo better kept in my memory than doing actual replaying.

7290 Comments. 365 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo