Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 7951 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status
34. Re: Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status Jan 10, 2015, 20:47 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 20:39:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 20:30:
Can I ask you how you arrange your hotas setup? Because there is noway I can sit comfortable on my PC desk with all that stuff lined up next to each other the throttle or joystick, or mouse/kb would be nearly on the other side of the desk... and I'd get neck pain nearly instantly from reaching around that far and holding joystick or throttle for a long time

On top the desk in front of monitor (which is raised, good for neck) is the hotas. The mouse to the right side assuming right-handed. Then have a keyboard slider under the desktop that pulls out. To me that works.

I have knees in the way so I had to remove tray when I moved (I got massive height changeable desk instead) ~.~ I am not the largest dude ever when it comes to height, my desk is very low , nearly touching my knees, and my monitor is raised about 20cm. So no way to have keyboard in a tray (that's really my main problem, with X55 that thing is simply way too high on the desk. in front of me as well I need that lower than that the desk + desk plate is, that's 5cm at most but those are a real problem for ergonomic seating heh...

Bit stumped how to do this.. I mean there is still 5 cm I can go lower with the desk, currently I sit on a chair that's a bit raised but it'd make moving my legs around very annoying...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball Next Month; User Ratings Soar
7. Re: Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball Next Month; User Ratings Soar Jan 10, 2015, 20:40 eRe4s3r

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 17:53:
Game looks pretty fun, and base price of 9.99, definitely going to buy it when it's on sale. Play count increases by 1!

Every game starts somewhere, I remember early, EARLY CS betas, it was the same like 20ish people playing on a server, now look how stupidly huge that game/series is.

I'm not saying that this game will get that big, but clearly it's good enough to gain a bit more of an audience as time goes on.

*EDIT* Typo.

I remember early CS, Quake and UT and HL1 DM Most peeps played in Lan's because connections were so shitty back then you had lag to the whazoo. And at school.. massive 12 player Descent death match ;p

Imo you can't compare that. CS was revolutionary and around that time Quake 2 and UT came out as well.. that was the revolution of MP games, but this game isn't that. It seems like ricochet (that HL1 mod) and that was interesting, but had the same problem this game will have. Nobody really played it and those that do despite the low player counts create a huge entry barrier for new players, because without skill based match-making this game is gonna be depressing as hell for new players.

Either way, I never said this game is unfun or sucks, I said these user ratings are irrelevant because there is LESS PLAYERS than RATINGS, Steam counts votes for helpful as "positive review numbers" And you can vote helpful on anything you want, without owning the game or even having played it.

And sorry, but an E-A game with only 30 active players at peak times on a weekend is flat out depressing. That doesn't even allow for proper feedback.

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2015, 20:57.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status
31. Re: Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status Jan 10, 2015, 20:30 eRe4s3r

Tom wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 18:51:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 18:34:
The problem with Elite on the Rift (and SC, and anything else going this route) is that it works great as a seated experience with HOTAS in hand, but what happens when switching into FPS mode? Now you have to fumble around, unable to see your desk, until you find your mouse and keyboard. And then back, to take off. Interdicted, prepare for boarding? Prepare to switch controls again. And back. And forth. Over. And over.
This problem is more imagined than real. Just arrange your HOTAS, keyboard, and mouse so that they're all in a row and easily accessible. It's not that hard. Practically every DCS user needs to do it. As for not being able to see your input devices because you're wearing the Rift, a few hours of practice takes care of that. And if you're really stuck on something you can always peek through the hole in the bottom of the Rift.

Can I ask you how you arrange your hotas setup? Because there is noway I can sit comfortable on my PC desk with all that stuff lined up next to each other the throttle or joystick, or mouse/kb would be nearly on the other side of the desk... and I'd get neck pain nearly instantly from reaching around that far and holding joystick or throttle for a long time

30. Re: Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status Jan 10, 2015, 20:29 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 18:43:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 18:34:
Wildone wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 17:40:
its already good on the Rift, so how much more on the CV1?! Im lovin the immersion
The problem with Elite on the Rift (and SC, and anything else going this route) is that it works great as a seated experience with HOTAS in hand, but what happens when switching into FPS mode? Now you have to fumble around, unable to see your desk, until you find your mouse and keyboard. And then back, to take off. Interdicted, prepare for boarding? Prepare to switch controls again. And back. And forth. Over. And over.

There is another vr tech that had a mode where you press a button and you can see outside the Rift for things like you are talking about. Does anyone know if they have discussed that for the Rift consumer? At the same point I think most can feel their way back to K/M, to their beverage... maybe a bit more worrisome.

This is the main point I am worried by the way, you can have only so many "buttons" on your controllers, at some point you are gonna need mouse and KB.... seems to me we need other controllers...

News Comments > Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball Next Month; User Ratings Soar
5. Re: Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball Next Month; User Ratings Soar Jan 10, 2015, 14:51 eRe4s3r

descender wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 13:02:
If you are looking for a complete gaming experience with hundreds of thousands of people to play against well, you're doing it wrong.

With that few players you have nobody to play against most of the time, which for a MP game means death. Player numbers are the primary factor for a MP game, what's the point of the greatest best mp game ever, when nobody plays it and so all you find are empty servers?

3. Re: Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball Next Month; User Ratings Soar Jan 10, 2015, 11:52 eRe4s3r

Blue wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 11:25:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 11:20:
80 players playing on average.. user ratings are worthless.

532 reviews... do you think the system is that easy to game?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/270450/#app_reviews_hash

Well, more than a bit weird when steam says only 71 players on peak (3 months ago), don't you think? I guess there are about 500 to 1000 players...

https://steamdb.info/app/270450/graphs/

Also it only says 81 positive "helpful" reviews for me, but Steam does some really strange stuff with user ratings so who knows

Nowadays I guess I am just more skeptical

Could be explained by the fact that back a few weeks or months the dev gave free keys on nerdcubed reddit (a youtube let's player) so that seems more like rating boosting from people that saw a video of it than actual ratings from players. Hence why I think user ratings are worthless. They just don't say a lot, and can easily be boosted.

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2015, 12:03.

1. Re: Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball Next Month; User Ratings Soar Jan 10, 2015, 11:20 eRe4s3r

80 players playing on average.. user ratings are worthless.  

5. Re: Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status Jan 10, 2015, 11:10 eRe4s3r

Calling that optimistic may be understating it... how many active players right now? I'd bet not even close to 300k  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 9, 2015, 23:16 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 18:46:
Oh, how interesting. I didn't realize that mobile data was a completely different kind of data. All these corporations are such cockbags. You make billions in profits and it's still never enough. You just have to keep trying to stick it in and break it off sans lube. Why aren't the terrorists killing those assholes? They're the real problem, not Joe Sixpack on the street.

Because terrorists are stupid. And stupid only sees what stupid does. Stupid people will never understand what insanely complex corruption and exploitation exists in our banking and corporate world. Which is why it still exists...

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 9, 2015, 22:37 eRe4s3r

1badmf wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 21:15:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 21:00:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 19:45:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 19:24:
Wouldn't mind a like system though, good for community.

No a dislike system is far better for our community

If you like it saucy!

hah! dudes here would turn up the trolling to 11 just to get the most dislikes.

So it'd be just like now.. just more orderly?

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 9, 2015, 20:02 eRe4s3r

It's 2k doing what 2k does best..  

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 9, 2015, 19:54 eRe4s3r

panbient wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 19:21:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 18:16:
And a big thanks that blues does not follow any of that modern UI redesign bullshit.. keep it looking like it looks. It's awesome the way it is.

This is the reason I stopped reading Shacknews back in the day as well. Once they went web 2.0 it was over (that, and Steve Gibson's departure just made it weird for someone who started with the Shugashack).

Thankfully Blue keeps it looking like the 90s!

It doesn't help that most other "gaming" sites are now just images with a tiny amount of text.. takes forever to actually find anything on these damn things. or you have other sites wherre you can fit at best 10 headlines on the screen. And everywhere is tiny images that want your attention.. blah

That's not saying I don't like fancy websites, but I come here for information, and information is best served raw.

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 9, 2015, 19:45 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 19:24:
Wouldn't mind a like system though, good for community.

No a dislike system is far better for our community

News Comments > Rockstar: PC GTA5 Not Delayed
7. Re: Rockstar: PC GTA5 Not Delayed Jan 9, 2015, 18:33 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 18:26:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 18:24:
Rhett wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 18:00:
I'm getting a little worried that they haven't absolutely, 100% confirmed the 27th, nor put it up on Steam yet...

It's on Steam

https://steamdb.info/app/271590/

Just not visible to the public via store search but it is on steam actual too

http://store.steampowered.com/app/271590/

There are also people testing the game on PC via Steam right now ,)

That's clever. How'd you discover that little trick?

SteamDB ? That's just a nice tool to have at your disposal as gamer in general. And as Harlock says, game is "on steam" in some form for more than half a year now.

But it is definitely "on steam" that does not mean it'll release on the 27th.. but everything they need is there.

When you press on packages and their ID , you can see whether a game is region locked, and in what regions. That's what I use that mainly for...

News Comments > Rockstar: PC GTA5 Not Delayed
3. Re: Rockstar: PC GTA5 Not Delayed Jan 9, 2015, 18:24 eRe4s3r

Rhett wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 18:00:
I'm getting a little worried that they haven't absolutely, 100% confirmed the 27th, nor put it up on Steam yet...

It's on Steam

https://steamdb.info/app/271590/

Just not visible to the public via store search but it is on steam actual too

http://store.steampowered.com/app/271590/

There are also people testing the game on PC via Steam right now ,)

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 9, 2015, 18:16 eRe4s3r

And a big thanks that blues does not follow any of that modern UI redesign bullshit.. keep it looking like it looks. It's awesome the way it is.  

News Comments > Dying Light Videos
2. Re: Dying Light Videos Jan 9, 2015, 16:12 eRe4s3r

Damn that POV video was.. intense  

News Comments > GDC Award Nominees; Baer Honored by AIAS
7. Re: GDC Award Nominees; Baer Honored by AIAS Jan 9, 2015, 15:02 eRe4s3r

Acleacius wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 14:52:
eRe4s3r, in a way your making the case against yourself. By pointing out they all belong to the same organization yet they have one of the, if not the best list of GOTY awards I've seen so far. I do agree, there could be a category about Indie only, yet they do cover many indies in the list.

So your saying hey look, it must be corrupt cause they are all in a club, yet the club by action has done the best work.

They have Destiny in "Best technology"

That said, I get what you mean. But I never said I disagree with all the choices, I said this is a corporate sponsored award show. The UBM awards And UBM does not make it easy to see that connection.

I find that dishonest, simple as that And it may well be possible that UGM nominated "developers" have their own minds and make fair nominations. But judging is done by UBM and UBM only.

All this really means, never trust these awards. Never trust anything on the internet. Or on TV.. Don't trust me either, look this stuff up yourself, and decide for yourself what you want to think about it.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2015, 15:10.

4. Re: GDC Award Nominees; Baer Honored by AIAS Jan 9, 2015, 14:14 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 13:40:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 13:35:
Ah yes, nothing like the fresh breeze of sponsored awards where bribery and connections get you nominated and that ignores 99% of all indy developers that simply don't have the connections needed to get nominated...

joy

So which indie dev in Best Narrative has connections?

The ones that got nominated, obviously.

I am just gonna quote something

All professional game developers who are part of the ICAN member list are eligible to provide nominations, both for the Special and Regular Awards. International Choice Awards Network (ICAN) is an invitation-only group comprised of leading game creators from all parts of the video game industry.

Try googling that Leads you here

http://www.gamechoiceawards.com/advisory.html

which says

The editors of Game Developer and Gamasutra have chosen an Advisory Committee

Both owned by UBM

So..
awards, run by UBM,
judges, nominated by UBM
gamasutra, owned by UBM
GD, owned by UBM
IGF, run by UBM
Advisory Panel (that nominates) with people invited by UBM

Notice a pattern here?

This isn't an award show about games, this is the UBM "who makes us the most money" show.

Maybe I am jaded, but when 1 company is connected to ALL elements of an awards show then I am calling bullshit on that bullshit.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2015, 14:21.

1. Re: GDC Award Nominees; Baer Honored by AIAS Jan 9, 2015, 13:35 eRe4s3r

Ah yes, nothing like the fresh breeze of sponsored awards where bribery and connections get you nominated and that ignores 99% of all indy developers that simply don't have the connections needed to get nominated...

joy

7951 Comments. 398 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo