Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 8712 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands Announced
15. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Announced Jun 16, 2015, 05:39 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 03:35:
Bleh, 3rd person cover-based shooter with serious consolitis. Doesn't deserve to wear the Ghost Recon label.

But could still be very fun... even though it might as well be called Farcry - Cartel Wars ;p

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Anno 2205 Announced
10. Re: Anno 2205 Announced Jun 16, 2015, 02:57 eRe4s3r

StoNe wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 01:41:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 23:58:
StoNe wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 23:40:
I actually love these games and I'm a massive fan. I don't know why people hate on them considering there is such a drought for good city builder / supply chain games.

If you play Anno 2070 now as first game ever, within 2 minutes you would be right at home again in Anno 1404... is that "good" ? To me it's... just lazy game design.

Yeah it's just a preference thing because I see that as a good thing. It's what I know and love..but with added flavor; and yes I thought each one added that bit extra, plus gave it a new feel.

I'm in the group of people that doesn't believe 3D, new technology etc. has improved games. I'd rather play Caesar 3 over Caesar 4 any day...Sim City 4 over SC2013...or any of the old adventure games like Gabriel Knight 1 over 3 etc. I find that new tech takes the centre stage and neglects the overall polish.

Whereas the ANNO series (for me) has found a winning formula and have managed to not break it over the years which I quite like.

Yep, I agree with you that the basic formula is still there, and supply line stuff IS done well, but everything else around it is imo suffering from lack of ideas when it comes to drastically changing things. For me I'd already be happy if the grid-based building and road stuff would get canned, and a proper freeform system, with proper transport of resources to warehouses from harbors, with proper agent simulation etc. Where factories are modular, where I can extend a factory however much I want as long as the road can sustain it. With rail system for long range on island transport etc... dang, I could think a lot of things that would make Anno better without breaking the core gameplay at all.

But it doesn't seem Ubisoft even wants to try anymore.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 16, 2015, 00:45 eRe4s3r

If Fallout 4 is not fully 64bit then this is irrelevant anyway (for the xbone especially)... sure you can do skin mods and a few quests. But the actual big content mods can never run on the xbone's limited RAM (which is far below even the 32bit limit)

And like others I don't get how you going to download adult only mods from the Nexus to the xbone. Somehow I don't believe this is going to be "free" in the "freedom" sense of the word.

And there is still that looming threat of paid mods. No doubt under the guise of MS moderation for the xbone at first.

Also... if fallout 4 is not 64bit on PC, then modding for that game is going to be largely gimped anyway. As you know very well from modding Fallout 3/NV, those games looked like shit, but they had very low ram ceiling (1.5GB and below, leaving you nearly 2.5GB worth of actual content adding mods to blow through). You could do some serious crazy stuff in NV... (Fallout Dust - http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/57927/ - comes to mind)

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2015, 00:50.

7. Re: Anno 2205 Announced Jun 15, 2015, 23:58 eRe4s3r

StoNe wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 23:40:
I actually love these games and I'm a massive fan. I don't know why people hate on them considering there is such a drought for good city builder / supply chain games.

It's not hating, it's that I played every Anno game and I don't find them challenging anymore (Anno 2070 expansion added deep-sea wares and 3rd civ type, but challenging? More steps is not more challenging, just requires more space). To me just having supply lines is not a challenge. If you'd press me I'd name Factorio as the BETTER game in that regard. Because there your supply lines really are physical existing things. They can be damaged, interrupted... backlogs can clog your supply lines etc. (Ok, it's also not a city builder, rather it's a.. factory.. survival.. builder?)

Point being. This game series needs innovation at the core. Every Anno since earliest, example _> 1701 just reiterated and added some gimmick on top (in 1404 it was.. nothing, actually, just a rethread of 1701) (in 2070 it was the Ark) Ind deep blue it was.. I don't even know. Underwater.. stuff?

Heck, remember 2011? When they announced they shifted the series to modern industrial (and now to Sci-fi industrial) people were aghast. Because the core gameplay didn't change. It never actually even improved.

If you play Anno 2070 now as first game ever, within 2 minutes you would be right at home again in Anno 1404... is that "good" ? To me it's... just lazy game design.

It's actually really telling that the ONLY thing that ever even changed is the military.

Sure, the games have a certain first flair.. I won't deny that. I loved Anno 2070 for a time. I loved 1404, for a time. But once you dig deep into the mechanics you notice that it's the same game all over again. And 2205 really does look nearly identical to Anno 2070, remains to be seen whether "5 times larger islands" is really true btw. It's something they had claimed for Anno 2070 as well, except they meant "map size" not "island size"

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2015, 00:13.

5. Re: Anno 2205 Announced Jun 15, 2015, 23:22 eRe4s3r

Slick wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 23:08:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 22:41:
We'll see.. no real gameplay in that trailer ;/ And from the 3 screenshots it seems like they learned nothing from Anno 2070, still grid-based, still multiple-identical factory buildings needed to sustain a ware cycle. And hopefully no god damn always online nonsense via uPlay, that makes it an auto-not-buy for me nowadays.

There is a special place in hell for uPlay

lol no gameplay in that trailer, it's anno, there's no gameplay period. you build supply lines, so that you can build more supply lines, and then kill 7 pirate ships and uhh, win?

I understand the focus on citybuilding and away from military, but then just don't do military altogether. if you're going to be able to build units that can shoot stuff, flesh out that part of the game and this would be a sure win.

Well there is nothing wrong with what you say But that is what a lot of people like with Anno I supposed. And most of the resource cycles are complex enough that it's not simple build everything and "win" with the challenge being how far you can push your city without breaking your supply lines.

But for me military in 2070 was always just "annoying" as hell. But if ye remove any truly hostile faction the game it is just a soulless sandbox.

Imo far worse than their crappy undecided stand regarding military is that the game looks damn near identical to Anno 2070. Roads, grids, 4x4 4x6, 4x8 housing, big "need" provider somewhere... where is the CITY BUILDING challenge? At least with Skylines you can argue that the traffic management is the "true" challenge but aside from magic warehouses there is nothing in Anno to challenge you, beyond just building up a resource cycle and set up the needed supply line. Always thought that warehouses that had "per island" storage sucked massively in Anno. It made the game too easy.

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Announced
35. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Announced Jun 15, 2015, 23:07 eRe4s3r

There is really no way this makes any sense if it's post Mass Effect 3 RGB ending Unless we are talking, 200 or 500 or 5000 years after. Even then questionable, specially with blue and green ending

Will say though that it looked great. But then what AAA game does not with Unreal 4, latest Frostbite etc....

Also, the PR blurb says that character is not player character.

3. Re: Anno 2205 Announced Jun 15, 2015, 22:41 eRe4s3r

We'll see.. no real gameplay in that trailer ;/ And from the 3 screenshots it seems like they learned nothing from Anno 2070, still grid-based, still multiple-identical factory buildings needed to sustain a ware cycle. And hopefully no god damn always online nonsense via uPlay, that makes it an auto-not-buy for me nowadays.

There is a special place in hell for uPlay

News Comments > DOOM Next Spring
39. Re: Doom Next Spring Jun 15, 2015, 12:15 eRe4s3r

descender wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 11:17:
For me the worst example though is Half-Life 2

I think you spelled "Bioshock Infinite" wrong. :p That game was one of the worst offenders with getting hit-scan shot the instant you were visible.

Tons of shooters suffer from that problem though. Also see: Entire Battlefield, Crysis and CoD franchises. Basically every cover shooter. I think it might be really hard to accommodate for this in terms of gameplay, the enemies are basically either going to be retarded and boring or accurate and annoying.

Battlefield 3/4/Hardline at least does not have hit-scan weapons anymore, like none.. but yeah, Bioshock Infinite was also very.. aggravating... made the rail bits a lot of fun too... in a bad way

33. Re: Doom Next Spring Jun 15, 2015, 10:12 eRe4s3r

Man I completely agree with that, hit-scan weapons should not be in such run and gun shooters that on the surface promote constant movement because that really doesn't make them fun at all.

For me the worst example though is Half-Life 2. When you assault the citadel there is a huge fight with TONS of enemies that shoot laser accurate bullets, often through the tiniest cracks in cover.. sigh

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 15, 2015, 10:06 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 09:35:
The Darkbase 01 story was a source of amusement on the weekend, total meltdown.

Thing is as Indy dev you gonna end up with people that hate your game... I just don't get what drove him up the wall this badly.

Seems to me like a classic "devs first game gone wrong" situation. Only before steam (more specifically, Early Access), these things went quietly bankrupt and you never heard about them.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2015, 10:13.

28. Re: Doom Next Spring Jun 15, 2015, 08:56 eRe4s3r

arnold wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 08:17:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 07:25:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 02:45:
Executions seem pretty gimmicky and they really should have played this with M/KB so that they wouldn't need to pop up the weapon wheel every 5 seconds. Weapons also felt strangely unsatisfying.

I have the looming feeling that this kind of gameplay gets old very fast nowadays if that's all there is to it as well. Just running around clearing every room.. I really hope there is more to the game than that.

Also absence of flash light and low ammo counters I spied (Heavy assault only 60 shot?) seem to be counter intuitive to a run-and-gun game. And then there is the 10 foot giant in the room, that is the horrible IDTech5/6 whatever engine with it's massive storage requirements and horrible lighting.... notice the complete lack of shadows ... typical IDTech5 limitations that already looked extremely ugly in Rage (and even more ugly when suddenly something did cast shadows).

To me this seems more like Rage merged with Doom. Weapons even seem mostly identical.

i prefer run and shoot game ex. doom 1 and 2....rather than halflife gameplay with more walk and search...for me its kinda boring....

but if you take doom 3 and Quake 4 into account, then this seems more like a continuation of that rather than Doom 1/2 or even Quake 2

23. Re: Doom Next Spring Jun 15, 2015, 07:25 eRe4s3r

Jerykk wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 02:45:
Executions seem pretty gimmicky and they really should have played this with M/KB so that they wouldn't need to pop up the weapon wheel every 5 seconds. Weapons also felt strangely unsatisfying.

I have the looming feeling that this kind of gameplay gets old very fast nowadays if that's all there is to it as well. Just running around clearing every room.. I really hope there is more to the game than that.

Also absence of flash light and low ammo counters I spied (Heavy assault only 60 shot?) seem to be counter intuitive to a run-and-gun game. And then there is the 10 foot giant in the room, that is the horrible IDTech5/6 whatever engine with it's massive storage requirements and horrible lighting.... notice the complete lack of shadows ... typical IDTech5 limitations that already looked extremely ugly in Rage (and even more ugly when suddenly something did cast shadows).

To me this seems more like Rage merged with Doom. Weapons even seem mostly identical.

News Comments > Fallout 4 in November
59. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 04:05 eRe4s3r

November 10th is marked on the calender <3

Looks like a massive upgrade to Fallout 3.. faces no longer ugly as hell. Monsters have realistic physics (or so it seems) and Boston is not a tired environment either..

News Comments > Dota 2 Reborn Beta
22. Re: Dota 2 Reborn Beta Jun 15, 2015, 02:16 eRe4s3r

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 01:30:
Your first sentence invalidated everything afterward, so I didn't bother reading that drivel.

You already said you're not a DOTA player, so you're not a new player. You already gave up. Like a fucking pussy.

Please return to your cave, troll.

That post doesn't even make sense. If you didn't read my "drivel" you could have hardly found the 12th sentence in my first post

20. Re: Dota 2 Reborn Beta Jun 15, 2015, 00:54 eRe4s3r

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 11:24:
"I played 5 games, so I hate DOTA2."

Thanks for admitting your complete incompetence and invalidity of your opinion.

HotS is nowhere near as complex, deep, nuanced, or strategic as DOTA2. It has a huge learning curve, yes, but the rewards are greater than just about any other game I've played. At the same time, it can be just as crushing and frustrating though. Do well, and you love it. Do badly, and you hate it. You're probably in that latter camp.

Hah!... If anything your complete lack of empathy for a new DOTA 2 (in extension MOBA) player shows everything that is wrong with that community and why my first experiences in that moba were abysmal. And yeah, 5 plays vs humans is plenty enough to judge a moba after 30+ to learn how to play vs AI with a few chars and with COOP partner, that's how many I gave each MOBA I tried, DOTA 2, LoL and HotS. The shit-hole that is DOTA 2 ranked matches completely soured me from playing DOTA 2 altogether because of that constant toxicity even in the lowest ranked game modes.

Aside that it doesn't even matter, with 1000+ hours you have about as much reason to talk about casual MOBA play as Obama has owning the peace Nobel price. ^^

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2015, 01:01.

News Comments > Starbreeze Unveils VR Hardware
13. Re: Starbreeze Unveils VR Hardware Jun 15, 2015, 00:20 eRe4s3r

How do they even have the money for a hardware project of this scale? Steam and Vive, and Facebook and Oculus are both billion $ endeavors.. while this seems to be funded with less than a few million.

Also 5k and 210 FOV is gonna be a major pain in the ass to render at 95 fps not to mention you can't actually output this through HDMI

15. Re: Dota 2 Reborn Beta Jun 14, 2015, 09:24 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 04:38:
HOTS is turning out to be a really competitive little game, easy to learn, hard to master. Are you just playing Coop Eraser, because that score you mentioned seems kind of unrealistic...

I average about a 50% win rate, maybe a few percent more. On the Heroes League im way below 50% ATM. Im currently at a point where if one guy fucks up, the entire team loses. The kind of comebacks Eraser mentioned are still possible, but not very likely higher up on the matchmaking ladder.

Don't get me wrong Im enjoying the game, but its got waay more depth and difficulty, once you start getting into it a little bit more.

I am not yet at a rank where I can even play ranked games, all quick match and coop with a 1 other in group rank 17

39 games (41 actually, but it counts 2 intro tutorials BEFORE training mode too)
30 vs AI (28 Coop/ 2 Training) = 24 victories 4 loss (yes, I lost more against AI (and then also very very brutally, some AI combinations are just.. wow) than against normal people so far)
9 "quick games" 5 vs 5 random = 8 victories 1 loss (And there, mainly because I faced against that cloaked assassin which I never even had seen before) And that murlock thing, and that weird colored dragon thingy. 3 Enemies where I had no idea about skills and such is not a great combination to face off as gazlow. but live and learn eh

I actually have a 100% win-rate on certain maps so far, but 66% winrate on bounty bay or what it's called, I actually HATE that map but still had some awesome games on there, but it's way too early to tell. As you say... I expect things will get MUCH worse once it's ranked. But I am still far away from 10 characters unlocked which is required for that.. I have like.. 4, and AI coop play is how I unlock all skills and test all chars before I ever even enter vs normal people. It would be totally unfair for my team if I went there with a level 1 char ;p

Finding someone to play COOP is always a hassle though... I like the relaxing feel in that game-mode, and it teaches me my own chars skills, the best ranges and what not. And since it seems to give the same XP values.. and you have a daily limit of 2.25mio XP.. good way to get to that level 5 and those easy 500 gold per char ;p

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2015, 09:31.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Batmobile Trailer
16. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Batmobile Trailer Jun 14, 2015, 02:53 eRe4s3r

Imo it takes some serious skill... to make the non gameworks version look better and less fake than the gameworks one.

Worst application of this smoke effect I have ever seen. The machine gun was like a bad joke That isn't how smoke from a heavy machine gun ever behaves or looks. And the wheely smoke looks wrong too, because it's way too fucking dense and the wrong color to boot

I always thought this stuff was to add realism.. but all it seems to add is this weird as hell liquid smoke effect...

Maybe better, it adds liquid smoke effect that GLOWS, because that shit should not be as bright as it is in darkness. You ever seen smoke in the night? Yeah, neither have I

News Comments > Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO Trailer
9. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Jun 14, 2015, 02:22 eRe4s3r

siapnar wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 02:02:
Trevellian wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 00:14:
They took Rally very seriously and actually listened to fans who complained about past DiRT games.
This resonates most with me. They're definitely getting my money next time it's even slightly on sale

EDIT: which is now, apparently!

Never buy before last day of sale, unless it's in a daily sale or flash sale! Steam Sale rule #1

News Comments > Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO Trailer
5. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Jun 13, 2015, 23:54 eRe4s3r

Say do you have Dirt Rally? Is it decent? Proper physics? realistic sound? Proper wheel and FF support?

What are the plans for a SP campaign?

8712 Comments. 436 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo