Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 6857 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Auto Club Revolution VR Evolution Plans
7. Re: Auto Club Revolution VR Evolution Plans May 16, 2014, 12:36 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on May 16, 2014, 11:45:
I don't see why would racing games make you more sick than flight sims or space dogfight games.
If VR makes someone sick I don't think it matters much what game they play.

I mean partially because in a car, many people are used to the feeling and forces involved, so that driving without that might be really weird...

And how would you do GUI elements in a racing game (position, time, map?) You can't just make them floating pieces in the car, it must be.. sort of like a helmet projection style 3D GUI that space sims use...

So really.. I think just making a good racing game is not enough, VR requires a lot more than just a good cockpit. Just having my doubts is all ;p Not to mention you need high resolution for racing games.. given how far in the distance you have to be able to see.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2014, 12:43.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Auto Club Revolution VR Evolution Plans
5. Re: Auto Club Revolution VR Evolution Plans May 16, 2014, 11:34 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on May 16, 2014, 10:42:
Oh okay, yeah I think AC and Project CARS will have Rift support, I am not aware of any other racing game right now that supports VR.
To be fair though the Rift is not available for the public yet so no surprise there is not too many "finished" game supports it.

I think the real question is whether racing games with VR support won't make you sick.. I noticed a distinct lack of such demo's on VR presentations, which makes me wonder what the problem with racing games and VR is? Anyone know more about this? Do racing games work properly with VR or not?

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
14. Re: Evening Metaverse May 16, 2014, 11:28 eRe4s3r

Agrajag wrote on May 16, 2014, 09:35:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 15, 2014, 20:07:
I have nothing against watermarking of media content as such, but Mozilla talked about supporting it on the browser side... which means via plugin that any website can poll and talk to.

Where in hell are you seeing THAT?! They say nothing of the sort that I can find...

Here are the words of the CTO in the blog post all the news articles are about: "Instead of DRM schemes that limit how users can access content they purchased across devices we have long advocated for more modern approaches to managing content distribution such as watermarking. Watermarking works by tagging the media stream with the user’s identity. This discourages copyright infringement without interfering with lawful sharing of content, for example between different devices of the same user."

Nothing about the browser having anything to do with the process... No idea where you got that from!

How you think they will ID the device used? Wouldn't that require the browser giving unique ID information to a plugin/website? Maybe I am misunderstanding how this would work, but to me there seems no actual way to give a device a unique trackable ID without the browser being a defacto trojan horse.... this means the browser and website have to talk to each other, share a trackable unique hash, and then generate a watermark for that content and device.

That screams privacy violation in every way, imo. (I would never use a browser that supported this)

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Dragon's Teeth Trailer
6. Re: Battlefield 4 Dragon's Teeth Trailer May 16, 2014, 11:24 eRe4s3r

Trevellian wrote on May 16, 2014, 10:48:
xXBatmanXx wrote on May 16, 2014, 10:33:
They make their games to large with to many options and to many maps.

Oh, and I don't have premium, so the game isn't even playable anymore....can't find servers.

*slowclap

Ill go back to BF3.

There are plenty of non-map pack servers. I know this well as we play with a friend who didn't buy premium. And if you have no problems finding a server in BF3 then clearly you must have bought the map packs for it. So this is a silly cop out.

Heh.. during slow times in the night I can find maybe 3 active low ping servers in Europe.... EA is slowly killing BF4 with this map pack fractioning.. NONE of these servers run 3rd expansion either. (Because nobody wants to play on these maps).

Maps should be free for everyone.

12. Re: Evening Metaverse May 15, 2014, 20:07 eRe4s3r

Agrajag wrote on May 15, 2014, 16:24:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 15, 2014, 15:06:
What happens when the W3C puts tracking functions or NSA backdoors in as standard? Will Firefox also add this then?

I doubt the W3C would ever do such a thing... Plus the concept of a backdoor being documented in open standards seems kind of impossible... If everyone knows about it, it can hardly be called a backdoor anymore!

The Mozilla foundation sits in the USA no? SO if the gov says put backdoor in, that's what they do. That's how US companies roll, no? Betraying users (and customers) 1 unfixed security issue at a time, see Cisco etc....

Agrajag wrote on May 15, 2014, 16:24:
Let it sink in what per user watermarking implies.... that is their less evil alternative? ... wow ~.~

What's so evil about watermarking? The idiot media companies refuse to trust their customers, so they're clearly going to keep demanding SOME method that placates them that they're doing something to stop piracy...

I have nothing against watermarking of media content as such, but Mozilla talked about supporting it on the browser side... which means via plugin that any website can poll and talk to.

Maybe I am seeing this too radical... but when a website does it to a stream I don't mind. But when it gets help from my browser I do mind.

Generally speaking, the browser has fuck all to know about me. If there'd be a browser footprint randomizer I'd use it, because Firefox is like... the least Anonymous browser of them all. -> https://panopticlick.eff.org/

This comment was edited on May 15, 2014, 20:50.

News Comments > The Division Delayed
6. Re: The Division Delayed May 15, 2014, 19:26 eRe4s3r

Phasenoise wrote on May 15, 2014, 19:16:
I'm divided on this.

Division by Zero

10. Re: Evening Metaverse May 15, 2014, 15:06 eRe4s3r

Agrajag wrote on May 15, 2014, 11:27:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 15, 2014, 10:25:
Yeah, but I remember a talk from Mozilla about how they stand up for a free and open internet. Adding support for something is akin to supporting it in every way. DOesn't seem to be possible to coexist with Mozilla's pseudo principles.

Having ideals are great, but it's not always possible to stay true to them and still survive... I suppose if they were serious enough, they could refuse to support it and then wither away and die when they lose all their users because Firefox no longer works for watching whatever crappy videos they want to watch... But, I think they feel it's better in the long run for them to continue existing and being somewhat influential, even if they have to make the occassional compromise in their ideals... They've done it before by allowing support for H.264 video, after long railing against it in favor of VP8/9 or Theora... It's generally better to be practical about the reality of things than to be a pure idealist... There's a place for pure idealism, but it's generally not a good way to make a popular and widely used product...

Well I can agree with that, but as a user I have little reason to use Firefox when all they do is copy Chrome. What happens when the W3C puts tracking functions or NSA backdoors in as standard? Will Firefox also add this then?

Seems to me that this would be where a free open browser should draw the line. Especially when you read the articles and stuff like "Mozilla would like to see per user watermarking...."

Let it sink in what per user watermarking implies.... that is their less evil alternative? ... wow ~.~

8. Re: Evening Metaverse May 15, 2014, 10:25 eRe4s3r

Agrajag wrote on May 15, 2014, 06:27:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 14, 2014, 21:55:
Uh, so we are supposed to install an Adobe backdoor that's not security tested, not talking encrypted, and not verifying identity of servers on our systems to watch certain kinds of media now?

Or how about.. no? Geez, what could possibly go wrong! Apparently Firefox devs never heard of the Sony trojan

So, don't install it then... Firefox is just adding support for it (reluctantly), so you could install it if you wanted, and have it work... If users have no need to watch the crap crippled with the DRM in question, then they have no need to worry about it... Plus, it's a given that every other browser out there will be supporting this crap, so if Firefox doesn't and everything starts requiring such support to watch, then Firefox refusing to support it will be the death of it...

Yeah, but I remember a talk from Mozilla about how they stand up for a free and open internet. Adding support for something is akin to supporting it in every way. DOesn't seem to be possible to coexist with Mozilla's pseudo principles.

News Comments > 75 More Steam Greenlights
5. Re: 75 More Steam Greenlights May 14, 2014, 22:31 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on May 14, 2014, 22:08:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 14, 2014, 20:53:
Cutter wrote on May 14, 2014, 20:38:
Gosh, so good Steam is doing away with the Greenlight system. I simply love how they're being overly concerned and letting only complete, quality games through.

Nono

Now now, sarcasm is not the solution!

Oh a sarcasm detector, that's a really useful invention.

Did you know there is a tutorial about how to handle sarcasm and interpret it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Respond-to-Sarcasm

;p

And as true Internet denizen... i obviously did not follow any step of that tutorial and blatantly ignore it wherever I read and post ;p

News Comments > Diablo III Turns Two - Birthday Bonuses
3. Re: Diablo III Turns Two - Birthday Bonuses May 14, 2014, 22:29 eRe4s3r

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 14, 2014, 21:35:
Ooh, nice. Patch 2.05 has been very good so far. They really need to bump up Rift fragments and Legendary drops in Adventure mode(non-Rift) though, in my horrible drop-luck biased opinion.

ps. Yes I am one of those people who plays Diablo 3.

Played for an hour... got 2 legendary rings and 5 recipes ~.~ and gold find at 1035% is pretty cool too ;p Funny that just today I figured I wanted to play a round Diablo 3 and just as I start I see a patch and.. 2.05 gotta hand it to them, at least they are keeping D3 kinda fresh.

3. Re: Evening Metaverse May 14, 2014, 21:55 eRe4s3r

Uh, so we are supposed to install an Adobe backdoor that's not security tested, not talking encrypted, and not verifying identity of servers on our systems to watch certain kinds of media now?

Or how about.. no? Geez, what could possibly go wrong! Apparently Firefox devs never heard of the Sony trojan

News Comments > Gone Gold - Watch Dogs
10. Re: Gone Gold - Watch Dogs May 14, 2014, 20:57 eRe4s3r

Dagnamit wrote on May 14, 2014, 20:56:
Cutter wrote on May 14, 2014, 20:35:
Huh, kinda late for gold. Sounds like it's being shoved out the door regardless of the actual state it's really in. Caveat Emptor if you buy this before real player reviews.

I agree here. This game has disaster written all over it. I hsven't seen one iota of real gameplay for this thing. most devs with a game with the real goods can't wait to have people get their hands on it. This one is all guided demos and scripted demos.

Not buying this until let's plays surface either.. but I have it in my sights.. it looks interesting.. and it's not like there is much choice in this month.. when it comes to open world games ;p

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2014, 20:55 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on May 14, 2014, 19:05:
Cutter wrote on May 14, 2014, 18:22:
what constant driver problems from AMD? Spoken like someone who's never owned a card of theirs - at least in the last decade. You're just wasting money if you're buying Intel/Nvidia.

I like my hardware PhysX.

And the 3 games that use it ;p

*ducks*

Besides, the real problem with PhysX is that only CPU based physics can sync in network games... meaning.. all of those fancy effects you see are just fluff anyway

News Comments > 75 More Steam Greenlights
2. Re: 75 More Steam Greenlights May 14, 2014, 20:53 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on May 14, 2014, 20:38:
Gosh, so good Steam is doing away with the Greenlight system. I simply love how they're being overly concerned and letting only complete, quality games through.

Nono

Now now, sarcasm is not the solution!

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2014, 17:16 eRe4s3r

JSP wrote on May 14, 2014, 16:43:
Yep, still over priced. I can get a comparable Nvidia for under $200 and I don't have to put up with the constant driver problems from AMD.

Spreading FUD about AMD drivers is so 2000s, please get on with the times. And tell me which back of the van in some skidrow one can possibly take off with a Geforce 760 or 660ti for below $200.

Quick google search for 660..
2048MB Palit GeForce GTX 660 Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 (Retail)
137€ /Converted for you, 187$

And that's with German taxes and all, so yeah ,p

Difference to TI is only 10% more fps...

760 costs about 190€ to 230€ so without the taxes we germans pay, in the realm of 200$ too... the nvidia cards are pretty well priced right now. At least the mid-range.

News Comments > I Shall Remain Early Access
21. Re: I Shall Remain Early Access May 14, 2014, 17:15 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on May 14, 2014, 15:30:
I don't mind the zombies so much, but the game play doesn't look like it has any purpose here, despite having a unique look.

But yeah, pretty easy to do something other than zombies. How about a chemical spill that turns all the local wildlife into giant multiheaded carnivores? Or a rift opened by a military experiment that opens our world to the denizens of another dimension, a la Stephen King's short story The Mist? I realize Doom and Half Life have done something similar already, but it's not as overplayed as Nazis and zzzzombies.

Speaking of The Mist.. the movie (The Mist 2007) was pretty dang good as well. I really don't get why game developers don't use all these ideas... instead it's always just "bla bla, nazi's and/or bla bla zombies"

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2014, 16:23 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on May 14, 2014, 15:48:
Optional Nickname! wrote on May 14, 2014, 14:29:
LCD, as manufactured, is a strikingly inferior display technology. It is so obviously visually inferior to both the expert and casual viewer that one can only assume LCD users must stare at the sun first before using their display.

OLED is slightly more vivid, but the required chemistry still isn't ready.

Here's the display technology that should not have been shelved:SED

I'd never heard of SED or it's cousin FED. Pretty cool ideas. I guess it should have been obvious that you could shrink the electron emitter of a CRT down to the individual pixel display and get the benefits of both a flat screen and a CRT, but it never occurred to me. Very nice. Too bad they canned them. Here's a nice article discussing the technology and the challenges (the fact that they require a lot of lead being one of them)

This series of reads depressed the hell out of me...

Still using a CRT here for most of my gaming, which is not as sharp, but at least can hold it's colors and blacks properly. I find that absolutely vital, as I am EXTREMELY picky when it comes to black values. It visually distracts me when an LCD shows grey where it should show darkness

OLED needs to come! And SED sounds extremely cool, but where is this? Why nobody makes stuff with it? ... Does it need a Kickstarter?

In the end I was extremely sad when I saw LCD's becoming "mainstream" the worst technology won... BLA

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse May 14, 2014, 12:21 eRe4s3r

One has to assume the supposed troll is well aware of the irony and posted just for that  

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2014, 11:52 eRe4s3r

Wallshadows wrote on May 14, 2014, 11:46:
That's good and all, AMD, but aren't the retailers tagging on an inflated pricing scheme due to the demand from bitcoin miners and pocketing all that extra chunk of change?

Well, there should be 0 demand from bitcoin miners at this stage, because mine rate is below power cost for GPU mining nowadays.... also I think a currency that is just wasting power is one of the absolutely dumbest things to ever surface in this world. Bitcoin actually has a very real cost to society attached to it, both in CO2 emissions, power usage and general resource waste. Power, after all, does not come from renewable sources in most countries...

So Bitcoin is actually contributing to climate change.... ;p

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse May 14, 2014, 11:51 eRe4s3r

"EVE - A game about trolling" ;p

Interesting read

6857 Comments. 343 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo