Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 7846 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Eye Occilations and Framerate
3. Re: Eye Occilations and Framerate Dec 25, 2014, 22:02 eRe4s3r

bigspender wrote on Dec 25, 2014, 17:18:
well whatever it takes to make 60fps the minimum standard.

Movie frame-rate != game framerate... In a game, animations are interpolated at some fixed framerate, which is partially why they often look fake. If you think about when you ever saw realistic animations in a game you could probably list at best 3 or 4 games where that ever not looked fake.

The real issue here is that while movies you record live are based on reality, as soon as CGI enters the picture that's where the real problems start. Because you can of course render at whatever frame-rate you want and then resample it to movie frame-rate. The problem is nothing you animate will look realistic just because of that animations apparently need a certain fluidity to them to look real. And conversions that happen in movie either make it look shitty or great, nobody ever figured out really what the science behind it is. And if you think about that, then that's really scary.

An extremely interesting field of study. It's also why that 48fps Hobbit thing flopped like a brick falling into water. Just higher FPS does not make a movie better, because to our eyes something that looks "good" at 30fps looks "shit" at 48 or even 60 . There are apparently certain frame rates that create the illusion of reality. Oculus Rift for example says that's at 75 fps. .. but whether that is the frame-rate we really want to make things FEEL real (not just immersive) is the real question.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pardo: Olympics Should Include Esports [Updated]
42. Re: Blizzard: Olympics Should Include Esports Dec 25, 2014, 03:41 eRe4s3r

Flatline wrote on Dec 25, 2014, 02:52:
Slick wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 18:08:

i think that this is exactly the reason that esports are actually a superior global medium for competition. because there IS no physical barrier to entry.

Bullshit. It requires at the very least sight and functioning digits.

You'll never see Stephen Hawking as a top tier Starcraft player.

I think he meant for the *average* person The average person has working digits, can see and hear, and has a reaction capability around 300ms.

If Hawking could control games purely with his mind then he would likely be absolutely dominating ANY game. It'd be cheating

News Comments > CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced
21. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced Dec 25, 2014, 03:28 eRe4s3r

Slashman wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 20:52:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 17:36:
Can you blame Paradox for a dev coding an engine that can't handle the game they are making?

If they don't give the developer adequate time to finish the game and they keep interfering in the dev process, yes I can.

And a dev that implements ideas that literally nobody wants in an turn based 4x (turns taking in excess of 5 minutes)?

You actually think that long turn times was somehow an idea by a developer? Or anyone? What are you smoking?

Well since I was actually involved in modding that game I quickly discovered that that the REAL reason for the insane turn times was Kerberos using an horribly in-efficient actual SQL server in the actual EXE that had zero caching capability. And with no caching you had huge lock-ups every single time any AI did anything to any other AI (which basically meant modifying giant SQL tables, and that shit isn't fast without multi-threading, caching and several other sql optimizations).

In their infinite wisdom Kerberos also decided to calculate every battle like the battles the player sees, that means whether you see it or not, that's where your time gets wasted when 8 AI's get stuck in an infinite battle situation ( can happen )

These 2 things together are why I say that is the fault of the dev. They designed this system and they KNEW it was a retarded idea. How many devs you know that run their game ON an SQL database file dumped on your HDD? SQL is very efficient on servers, but only with prediction and caching (or massive I/O)

And despite a few hardcore people literally NOBODY wanted quick-resolve gone from SOTS. 99% of the late-game is quick-resolve (which in itself is a design flaw of 4x games in general..) and a 4x without that...

I keep hoping that people stop rewarding that kind of behaviour when it repeats itself so often, but I have my doubts.

Well.. you know how people are But as there is no sign of Egosoft seeing the error of their ways I doubt it even becomes relevant. If they don't even HINT at developing X4 you know they really gave up. They have no clue what made x3 good. (Which really, was a game that was easily moddable and thus had way more life than it deserved by itself) Take the community mods (Which means X3 AP and X3 TC) out and you are left with a barren carcass of a game even after years of patching.

I think at some point Egosoft turned from a sandbox developer to a dev that thought they had what it takes to make a real game.

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 2014, 03:42.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Dec 25, 2014, 03:13 eRe4s3r

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 25, 2014, 00:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 18:04:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 11:28:
Possibly the Most Embarrassing GTA V Death Everů

Mine was a fence incident. Was running away from someone and I went to scale a fence and jumped to early - hit the fence, bounced off, then fell backwards onto the sidewalk, died. wtf.

Remind me to look for a god-mode the moment GTA 5 comes to PC that kind of shit is exactly why I don't like realistic games Hilarious at first, sure, not so hilarious when it happens in a mission...
Unless you get arrested, no death penalty. A few thousand for death, but if you get arrested, they take all ammo.

All ammo, or all weapons? Because I hated that to the bones in GTA 4, it's the primary reason I always preferred Saints Row

News Comments > Christmas Eve Mobilization
5. Re: Amazon Apps Dec 24, 2014, 18:33 eRe4s3r

Jivaro wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 18:04:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 16:32:
Killswitch wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 16:07:
I don't have an Android device at the moment, but wanted to take advantage of some of these free apps in the event that I purchase one in the future. Is there really no way of obtaining these apps without an Android that has the Amazon Appstore installed?

no

Yes. If you browse the sale on your PC or Mac and not through the actual mobile device, any "purchases" you make are simply added to your Amazon account, not actually installed. I just added two Amazon Fire *only* apps to my account despite only owning an Android device. Tomorrow when my wife opens up her new Kindle Fire she will be able to install the apps without going through the buying process because they will already be a part of our joint Amazon account. It's just like when you buy a digital movie or song and watch/listen to it later.

edit: There will be a confirmation window that pops up and tells you that you don't have a compatible device for the software. You just push continue and it adds it to your account.

Ah. I confused the question, sorry ^^ Though he meant whether he can install without Amazon Appstore app. But you need to login with your amazon account in that app on the device you want them on. You can buy them any time you want... serves me right for posting at the breakfast table

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2014, 18:10 eRe4s3r

Capella wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 16:54:
Happy Holidays everyone. Don't forget your fury friends over the Holidays.

Plenty of fury to go around after the Holidays ,) Merry xmas everyone

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Dec 24, 2014, 18:04 eRe4s3r

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 11:28:
Possibly the Most Embarrassing GTA V Death Everů

Mine was a fence incident. Was running away from someone and I went to scale a fence and jumped to early - hit the fence, bounced off, then fell backwards onto the sidewalk, died. wtf.

Remind me to look for a god-mode the moment GTA 5 comes to PC that kind of shit is exactly why I don't like realistic games Hilarious at first, sure, not so hilarious when it happens in a mission...

News Comments > Pardo: Olympics Should Include Esports [Updated]
31. Re: Blizzard: Olympics Should Include Esports Dec 24, 2014, 18:02 eRe4s3r

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 15:32:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 10:41:
Might as well add Chess as an Olympic sport next.
Imagine all the Olympic Call of Duty players, getting pumped on Mountain Dew and Doritos
Chess is already recognized as an olympic sport, just a FYI.

In the age of augmentation and impossible to detect doping the olympics become more and more irrelevant anyway. Although I'd watch a pure "Aug + doping" olympics. At least then it would be fair for everyone taking part.

News Comments > Christmas Eve Legal Briefs
3. Re: Christmas Eve Legal Briefs Dec 24, 2014, 17:55 eRe4s3r

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 14:08:
Xil wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 12:10:
It amazes me that Uber is sued all over the world by now, yet it still keeps going, both in those countries and continues to expand in others, like its untouchable or something....

Was a documentary on dutch tv while ago about them and the other so called "sharing" services, was an eye opener for me. I knew of course about all the rules real cab drivers here need to abide cq pay for (passenger insurance and all that) and saw the point of unfair competition and the fact that if your in a accident as a passenger your screwed, but its gone far beyond people picking up others since they where going into that direction anyways, its a business for most these days which undercuts the "real" companies and since its not a job as in company hired an employee there are not taxes, pensions etc. etc... short term nice, long term bad. My take on it anyway.

Yea it cracks me up. Minneapolis has had a law against this very thing for many many years. It is a city and state regulated service for people, and UBER and others think they can just ignore that? If you want to be a taxi, get the license, follow the rules. Period.

At first I was really confused as well what the problem was, but yeah.. once you read up what Uber actually does and how it subverts not just existing laws, but establishes a system of low-paid service slaves in essence that only exist because they ignore existing laws and regulations... I mean wtf? This kind of subversion of capitalism is illegal for a reason, once you let that slip you can forget about well paying jobs for eternity.

19. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced Dec 24, 2014, 17:36 eRe4s3r

Slashman wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 08:55:
SOTS2 was a screw-up mostly attributable to Paradox. That became apparent the more I learned about the whole thing.

X Rebirth was a screw-up totally attributable to Egosoft.

The history of the developers alone will tell you that if nothing else.

Egosoft needs to learn it can't keep doing the same crap over and over. How many more failed launches will it take for them to get it?

Can you blame Paradox for a dev coding an engine that can't handle the game they are making? And a dev that implements ideas that literally nobody wants in an turn based 4x (turns taking in excess of 5 minutes)? I mean I get your point, but Paradox was the gatekeeper that failed, while Kerberos was the dev that failed.

And yeah.. the problem is Egosoft made a shit-ton of money from Rebirth from all the fans that (stupidly) bought into it. From what I hear it was enough to keep Egosoft afloat for 10+ years. And that a studio slacks off and basically just recycles in such state is sadly reality ;(

News Comments > Christmas Eve Metaverse
5. Re: Christmas Eve Metaverse Dec 24, 2014, 16:33 eRe4s3r

Apple has about the same level of IT security as Sony.. so no surprises  

News Comments > Christmas Eve Mobilization
3. Re: Amazon Apps Dec 24, 2014, 16:32 eRe4s3r

Killswitch wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 16:07:
I don't have an Android device at the moment, but wanted to take advantage of some of these free apps in the event that I purchase one in the future. Is there really no way of obtaining these apps without an Android that has the Amazon Appstore installed?

no

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2014, 00:31 eRe4s3r

mag wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 23:06:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 20:52:
1badmf wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 17:00:
Killer Kane wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 16:14:
I got mine here, $22

http://www.wagnercompanies.com/festivus_poles.aspx

i still don't know what a festivus pole is =/

Me neither... it's a metal pipe with feet? For what? Put speakers on top?? Balance pizza on?

Seinfeld reference.

Wouldn't it be easier to just not "do" xmas if you don't wanna?

15. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced Dec 24, 2014, 00:28 eRe4s3r

Jerykk wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 00:00:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 21:31:
drschelter wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 21:23:
Yep the game launched buggy in January. That is ancient history...

Ancient history, sure.. my first and last impression though.

And considering that developers usually want first impressions to be good, it still baffles me how people can release games in such state. Don't expect people to forget that, IDG is to me the dev that released a broken game. In the same mental row as SOTS2 and X: Rebirth

Edit: Heck, spelling is hard without coffee ;p

They usually do it because they need to start generating revenue or else start laying people off. It sucks but it's the reality of game development. People gotta get paid. As with most Kickstarters, iDGi underestimated how much money they would need to finish the game.

Cases like this are why I appreciate Early Access. Developers can start generating revenue before officially releasing the game. They also get the benefit of public testing and feedback, ensuring the final product is more polished. Customers buying Early Access builds know what they're getting into (or at least, they should) so there's no disappointment when the game is buggy and incomplete. Consortium would have benefit from Early Access. Same for Sword of the Stars 2 and X:Rebirth.

The impact of X: Rebirth in early access after it was already 5 years in development would have been disastrous one way or the other though... lots of people see Early Access as part of their first impressions.

13. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced Dec 23, 2014, 21:31 eRe4s3r

drschelter wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 21:23:
Yep the game launched buggy in January. That is ancient history...

Ancient history, sure.. my first and last impression though.

And considering that developers usually want first impressions to be good, it still baffles me how people can release games in such state. Don't expect people to forget that, IDG is to me the dev that released a broken game. In the same mental row as SOTS2 and X: Rebirth

Edit: Heck, spelling is hard without coffee ;p

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2014, 21:40.

11. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced Dec 23, 2014, 21:21 eRe4s3r

My one and only time with this game was a youtube video where the player literally could not progress beyond the very first door, because bug.

Yep, take my money why will you

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2014, 20:52 eRe4s3r

1badmf wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 17:00:
Killer Kane wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 16:14:
I got mine here, $22

http://www.wagnercompanies.com/festivus_poles.aspx

i still don't know what a festivus pole is =/

Me neither... it's a metal pipe with feet? For what? Put speakers on top?? Balance pizza on?

News Comments > GSC Making Cossacks 3
4. Re: GSC Making Cossacks 3 Dec 23, 2014, 20:44 eRe4s3r

American Conquest was better than Cossacks 2.. so let's hope they realize their mistakes and make it not a pain in the ass game (And let's hope it's not 3D)

Edit: ps, I remember a game in that engine called Alexander.. I swear I could never find that anywhere.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2014, 21:43.

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Morning Previews Dec 23, 2014, 14:50 eRe4s3r

May I just say? Releasing large long and (story wise) connected point and click adventure games in buggy half-assed episodes every few months is the...

FUCKING DUMBEST THING EVER

This isn't like Telltale games, where you can basically get a recap. In this you get thrown into episode 4 and you are supposed to remember the last 6 months worth of episodes.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2014, 14:46 eRe4s3r

Happy xmas... ehm, but what the heavens is a festivus pole???  

7846 Comments. 393 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo