Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 6772 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations
48. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 19:45 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on May 5, 2014, 16:09:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 5, 2014, 10:43:

Dude, it's Zenimax... aside from Activision (1st) they are the 2nd lord of Hell in terms of evil

So, uh, where does EA fit in? They can't have fallen to third after BF4 and Simcity.

I got my offline Sim City... and mods (ye may now laugh, but there are some really useful mods for that, Crossover mod for example, makes it so cars can cross streets at all possible points and so solves a HUGE pathfinding issue. That gave them bonus karma points.

Also EA is not so much evil, as it is a douche. And hate to say it, but I do still like Battlefield... and I would instantly buy a future battlefield IF it was sci-fi (ie, 2142 sequel).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam April 2014 HW/SW Survey
19. Re: Steam April 2014 HW/SW Survey May 5, 2014, 19:41 eRe4s3r

NewMaxx wrote on May 5, 2014, 11:46:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 5, 2014, 11:09:
One stat is interesting, apparently about 4% of steam users do not have a 64bit cpu

and 10% have only 2GB of RAM, Wow? 2 GB .. OF... RAM ?
2% have 1GB of RAM

Mobile devices. My new Windows tablet (Bay Trail) is both 32-bit and only has 2GB of RAM, but I can run many Steam games on it. I have an older laptop (dual-core) with x86 Windows 7 with 2GB of RAM (came with 1GB), too. My netbook (x86 dual-core Atom) has 2GB of RAM (came with 1GB) and runs Windows 7 and even it can run some classic titles.

Totally forgot about those...

Playing KSP is out of the question on those then

18. Re: Steam April 2014 HW/SW Survey May 5, 2014, 19:41 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on May 5, 2014, 14:38:
jacobvandy wrote on May 5, 2014, 14:30:
Meh, I turn mine off every night, or if I'm going to work and not running a download.
Same here, for some reason sleep mode doesn't work too well on my desktop. Keep crashing for some reason.
When it doesn't crash it would go to sleep but then wake from sleep for no reason. (I have network wake or whatever it is called off)
I was screwing around with it for a while removed some windows updates which apparently caused the issue but problem still exist so I just shut it off.
With my SSD it doesn't take that long to boot up anyways.

Tis actually a really common issue.... every 5th nvidia driver I have this problem, thankfully in 337.50 this is not an issue... but it'll be again I am sure.

With SSD, booting cold is actually fun. Sleep barely adds anything to it. A few seconds and all your windows are still open, but that's it.

I have a NAS to run downloads over night

This comment was edited on May 5, 2014, 19:47.

1. Re: Steam April 2014 HW/SW Survey May 5, 2014, 11:09 eRe4s3r

One stat is interesting, apparently about 4% of steam users do not have a 64bit cpu

and 10% have only 2GB of RAM, Wow? 2 GB .. OF... RAM ?
2% have 1GB of RAM, so if they run steam they couldn't start a game at the same time as steam runs without paging issues. Wow Heck, my firefox uses 600mb Ram alone.. how can these people even work with that?

Also AMD has lost GPU market shares to both Nvidia and Intel.

This comment was edited on May 5, 2014, 11:16.

News Comments > On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game
4. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 10:50 eRe4s3r

I just hope the engine isn't a piece of broken and ugly shit like the previous COD engines.... given they put that in a PR blow-out they either have some serious balls and effort put in that engine, or it's bull-fish alá fish AI (Fish AI that swims through ROCKS and the GROUND)

But it's gonna be COD, so that means kill-streaks and retarded spawn system, perks that imbalance the game and 0 recoil on weapons, non destructible environments and broken player physics.

Or basically, another crappy (rail) shooter in SP, and the usual COD nonsense in MP

News Comments > Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations
13. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 10:43 eRe4s3r

Dagnamit wrote on May 5, 2014, 10:03:
•A key reason that John permanently left ZeniMax in August of 2013 was that ZeniMax prevented John from working on VR, and stopped investing in VR games across the company.
•ZeniMax canceled VR support for Doom 3 BFG when Oculus refused ZeniMax’s demands for a non-dilutable equity stake in Oculus.

If those things are true, then that's hell of a ham-fisted, straight-up stupid way to run a business. Yeah, let's just antagonize everyone. Including John 'Effing Carmack. No wonder he left. They could have had a little bit of that facebook cash, if they'd been just slightly reasonable. Idiots.

Dude, it's Zenimax... aside from Activision (1st) they are the 2nd lord of Hell in terms of evil

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. May 5, 2014, 08:33 eRe4s3r

mag wrote on May 4, 2014, 19:09:
jdreyer wrote on May 4, 2014, 15:31:
Man, I'd love to see a modern version of Heretic or Hexen. When will someone KS that?

Yeeeeees. That would be one of my most-wanted things. I would love to see those games redone on a modern engine. I wouldn't even care if the game was a bit modernified, or if it was done like the new Shadow Warrior.

Considering who owns the IP of Heretic and Hexen I'd say that's a bit more than a tiny bit unlikely to ever happen. Activision is evil incarnate.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
11. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 5, 2014, 04:00 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on May 5, 2014, 03:09:
Steele Johnson wrote on May 4, 2014, 15:09:
[VG]Reagle wrote on May 4, 2014, 14:37:
Windows 8 sucks

You've just earned the "I'm cool" badge of the day.

How about this, clicking one checkbox makes win8 a better win7. But I know that's too confusing to the hipsters.

Windows 8 sucks, so do hipsters.

The only thing sucking are vampires

Killing your old jokes, with ancient jokes, ftw.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews May 4, 2014, 23:41 eRe4s3r

Really sad that Child of Light resorted to such a cheap method of storytelling. Rhythmic dialog doesn't work nearly as decent as it sounds. And destroys the immersion and atmosphere to boot.

Aside that, combat is really boring ;/

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Laser pointers May 4, 2014, 05:33 eRe4s3r

I'd actually be totally for restricting those....

There isn't a single good reason for someone to own a laserpointer beyond 20mw (milliwatt)

News Comments > EVE Online Kronos Next Month
14. Re: EVE Online Kronos Next Month May 4, 2014, 05:22 eRe4s3r

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 4, 2014, 05:11:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 3, 2014, 22:40:

Obviously I actually hate MMO's
It's more of a simulator than a MMO though. If you're fair to okay at say the stock market, you'll do just fine playing EVE.

Sounds like work to me ;p

11. Re: EVE Online Kronos Next Month May 3, 2014, 22:40 eRe4s3r

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 3, 2014, 22:26:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 3, 2014, 21:28:

Nothing CCP will ever do will make this game newbie friendly.... unless they make it an SP game or allow private servers.
I thought the game with plenty newbie friendly to begin with. I think you're looking for uber casual friendly though.

Obviously I actually hate MMO's

News Comments > Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week
37. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 3, 2014, 22:24 eRe4s3r

Optional Nickname! wrote on May 3, 2014, 16:50:
In our day, we played Unreal Tournament with bilinear filtering or even none at all for the extra FPS. You kids and your fancy full screen anti-aliasing, Fie! Fie! Hard cheese to you.

I think you (eRe4s3r) understand that unless the engine has a high tick rate that we can also match to sustained minFPS and monitor refresh rate it will not play as Unreal Tournament no matter what the title is.

85FPS/85Hz is arguably optimum, any higher and you might need to put your pinkie back on the teacup or the horses might get excited.

Well as da LAN insta-gib master I actually do know what you mean ;p To me the delay on 60hz LCD is clearly noticeable and the tick-rates in recent games, which basically add a whopping 200ms on top of your ping in worst case just suck. And yes, I know 120hz doesn't bring me any advantages nowadays.... which is why I only have it because it's better for the eyes.

But why settle for inferior technology.. I wait for low persistence OLED ^^

But yeah, the low tickrate in modern shooters is one of the biggest scams ever to hit MP gaming. Todays shooters are not really comparable unless they have a tickrate above 50

And BF4
It's running 30 simulation steps per second, but each client connection has a send rate of 10 Hz

50hz send-rate is the absolute minimum for good experience. And you technically have to at least match the default frame-rate and refresh rates (60hz)

7. Re: EVE Online Kronos Next Month May 3, 2014, 21:28 eRe4s3r

Simon Says wrote on May 3, 2014, 14:53:
Ozmodan wrote on May 3, 2014, 13:29:
Funny they are redoing the mineral processing side but still cannot fix the most boring aspect of the game, mining. I decided to do some mining last night and could not find a near by asteroid field that had any ore, they were all mined out. Absolutely absurd!

Mining is sadly thoroughly broken and no effort by CCP is upcoming to fix it. Their priorities, as usual, only lie with the old vets in 0.0

The "old vets" would disagree, seeing as most new features and changes are geared toward dumbing down the game and overall making it easier on new players. See "Brave newbies" success lately.

Nothing CCP will ever do will make this game newbie friendly.... unless they make it an SP game or allow private servers.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
12. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup May 3, 2014, 02:31 eRe4s3r

When you connect a pledge to a reward, it is in fact legally binding. Only default pledges "You get the finished product, if and when it finishes" are not legally binding assuming the wording is in such a way that it's clear. Until a court says otherwise this is literally why you should make sure how the wording of a reward tier is specifically. If it promises you something that is connected to the KS producing an actual product, you are out of luck. But if it is a "gift" of something the KS project actually has in it'S possession they are legally required to deliver.

And you actually have a legal requirement to inform your backers of the failing of a kickstarter. Any money left needs to be fairly redistributed, refunds are out of the question though. And if nothing is left, the backers need to be informed about that at least.

Going silent and changing company names makes it clear cut fraud.

Especially since printing cards is so fucking cheap. You could do it for a 10k budget, art and cards included. (not best cards ever, but delivery of 1000 card sets (50 to 60 unique cards) in printed boxes at least ,p)

I freelanced on several card games, I know the price ranges of these things. For a single card you are looking at about $50 to 100$ (art) for printing you are looking at less than 1000$ for 200 card sets. 100% unique. Metal boxing 2$ to 4$ per set (usually factories offer this in-print price already for some and ask extra for other variations), shipping 20$ (You get it in a big box, if it's too heavy, someone actually brings a normal industry palette to your door

For more than 200 sets you get rebate. And the prices go down accordingly. (Ie, 1000 sets + proper metal box would not be more than $5000 ) + ART cost. Not more than $5000 to $10000

So non delivery of these things with proper calculation done is nearly impossible. Either way, this is why Kickstarter needs accounting rules.

This comment was edited on May 3, 2014, 02:56.

News Comments > Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week
27. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 3, 2014, 00:57 eRe4s3r

Optional Nickname! wrote on May 2, 2014, 21:43:
You can't reproduce the success of UT2K+4, in any form, on an LCD screen.

LCD Screens and input lag destroy competitive, accurate, god-like, pixel-perfect, microsecond splitting, FPS gaming.

Argue this point to your disservice, signed,

"Boom. Headshot." - Doug

Which is why I am still gaming on an CRT 120hz and free AA

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare in November
55. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare in November May 2, 2014, 15:54 eRe4s3r

Task wrote on May 2, 2014, 15:22:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 2, 2014, 14:56:
Pretty much same here Does nobody ever wonder why we don't have such charismatic speakers in the real world? Why nobody ever speaks the truth in politics anymore?

Its because Machiavellians, corruption, and "maintaining the status quo" always win the day. There is a historical precedent for it, over 5,000 years or more worth. That's the real world, usually people keep falling INTO or FOR it. A book, a video game, a show, a movie, are the stuff where people pretend of humans being better.

MLK appeared before the world and told of how our government lies and is the greatest purveyor of violence in the world, the cold hard truth. He got a bullet from the government for his efforts.

In that case the problem are the people that accept such Machiavellian ways in political environments...

What you describe is imo everything that's wrong with the western world. The status quo is not a vision for the future. Status quo inspires no one to strife for a better world.

And that's why nothing advances, why no politician in Germany has a vision for the future... makes me sad, no, angry.

48. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare in November May 2, 2014, 15:28 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on May 2, 2014, 15:06:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 2, 2014, 14:56:
Does nobody ever wonder why we don't have such charismatic speakers in the real world?

What? For all his faults, Obama is a terrific speaker.

I'll give you that, but you ever heard a speech from Merkel or any of heir goonies in German Parliament? If you want sleeping pill replacements, you can listen to that garbage.

Merkel in particular can't hold a tone in a speech for longer than 3 seconds. And then of course, primary problem is nobody would ever tell you the truth about anything. Most speeches we Germans get to hear are absolute bullshit PR lies. Anything any politician ever said about Russia, USA and Ukraine for example... urgh.

You can't even imagine how good you have it to be lied to by someone who is at least charismatic about it!

And they wonder why nobody gives a damn about EU elections?

44. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare in November May 2, 2014, 14:56 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on May 2, 2014, 13:41:
I have no clue how good this will be or not, but I have to agree with some of his speech there.

Pretty much same here Does nobody ever wonder why we don't have such charismatic speakers in the real world? Why nobody ever speaks the truth in politics anymore?

Can you imagine someone appearing on prime-time TV, giving this speech? And how many people would enter denial because it destroys their world view that's based on lies and misconceptions?

No idea whether the game will be worth it, but at least they have a good writer

What a sad state of affairs when game trailers have more political vision than politicians.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
13. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 2, 2014, 14:44 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on May 2, 2014, 10:19:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 2, 2014, 01:12:
Beamer wrote on May 2, 2014, 01:06:
Reopening an accidentally closed tab seems much harder.

Right click on any tab "Open closed tab" (paraphrased, my firefox is obviously not in english ,p)

How else did you do that before the update?

History would give you a list of the last 5 closed tab. Every browser lets you right click on a tab for the most recent, but FF was the only one I remember giving you a list of more than just one.

Yeah, as I said, press on "Menu" then "History" and you see ALL (15!) recently open tabs to re-open in a slide to the side (heh). Also windows (new firefox instances) you closed can be re-opened there as well. You can also re-open all tabs at once.

So that at least, they did not break.

6772 Comments. 339 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo