Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 7655 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
2. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 24, 2015, 15:28 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:08:
Anita Sarkeesian Releases Kickstarter Breakdown, Raised $440,000 In 2014.

Good work if you can get it. Except for the rape threats, that is.

Considering she made the Internet a little bit more toxic I'd say a job well done.

Ps.: that glitch video is 7 minutes too long. Was funny for the first 30 seconds, after that it was just boring. ^^

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
21. Re: etc., etc. Jan 23, 2015, 14:59 eRe4s3r

Orogogus wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 12:44:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 03:00:
In Germany it's actually illegal to copy your passport... ;p Anyway I am not saying it would be easy, but if not Steam then who has the market power to do this? Steam simply needs to partner with the national level systems that are in place for this, it's not like US/Germany/France/England don't have that already in place, tons of online shops verify your age here when you buy adult only stuff.

I can't speak to other countries, but in the US there is very, very little verification. It's up to the shipper to arrange for the deliveryperson to confirm age of the receiver upon receipt; companies shipping cigarettes & alcohol get caught in sting operations all the time for not even doing that.

That said, verifying age is very easy in Germany.... passport shows your age ;p And you don't even *have* a (real) passport unless you are 18. So the solution here is a physical location (Deutsche Post related) where you register once, and where steam can ask "does this dude have the age to access this?" and done. Could be done 100% anonymous. Now that is a German only solution, but when there isn't a global alternative then Steam simply has to use the national services.... it would not make them into the NSA of GAMES That said, Steam likely knows more about you than the NSA.

If you're giving a company your name, birthday and passport I think that's 75% anonymous at best.

Again, I don't think the US has anything similar. Minors can get "real" passports, although they need a parent/guardian present at time of application. Drivers licenses are administered by the states. And it's frankly intrusive to require this kind of documentation to buy games, just so we can comply with someone else's censorship laws.

And that's to say nothing of the idea of Valve setting up and manning physical kiosks across the world for this sole purpose. I mean, come on.

Well seems to me we have steam censoring stuff with or without it The matter of age verification is always kinda iffy on the internet anyway and when I can I would always choose a store that simply doesn't care.. plenty of THOSE around.. where you can buy uncensored games

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2015, 14:54 eRe4s3r

Task wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 13:40:
lol George Bush, McCain, Obama, Kerry, and all the White House Cronies are gushing crocodile tears on twitter for their favorite King's death. One tyrant to another said, "We'll miss you dearly." (Koolaid Example 1), but the tyrants are perplexed by the replies, getting better, and better all the time, yeeha, 'Murica.

Saudi Arabia doesn't just finance the ISIS but it's "law" system is nearly identical in barbarism... but then the US with it's illegal prisons, state sponsored kidnappings and torture fits right in.

News Comments > Vindictus Free Weekend
3. Re: Vindictus Free Weekend Jan 23, 2015, 03:02 eRe4s3r

Unlimited Hair Token

wait.. what? Ps.:

This item is currently unavailable in your region

19. Re: etc., etc. Jan 23, 2015, 03:00 eRe4s3r

Orogogus wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 01:03:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 00:31:
Orogogus wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 15:26:
What kind of electronic age verification works internationally?

And there, you see, is the problem It would be a hodgepodge of national solutions, but either that or censorship.

I get that. But you seem kind of mad at Valve for not having an electronic age verification ("Steam refuses to implement an age check", "we've been complaining about"), when it seems to me that it would be practically impossible without making purchases ridiculously difficult and intrusive.

Like, even if it were US-only, I don't know how they could do that without 1) having way more access than they should have to government databases, 2) making something ridiculously easy to bypass (attach a scan of your driver's license!), or 3) making purchases more difficult than they have to be (credit card only, show up in person to confirm electronic transactions, etc.).

Internationally it would be completely absurd. If they had that kind of capability then they'd obviously be an intelligence agency front masquerading as a video game company.

In Germany it's actually illegal to copy your passport... ;p Anyway I am not saying it would be easy, but if not Steam then who has the market power to do this? Steam simply needs to partner with the national level systems that are in place for this, it's not like US/Germany/France/England don't have that already in place, tons of online shops verify your age here when you buy adult only stuff.

I am not mad at Steam, I am just tired of people thinking Steam has some kind of agenda here, the censorship steam pushes for is needed to obey laws for selling games without proper age verification and only having that could ever actually lead to a *free* store. As it is Steam competes with piracy and every censored game drives thousands of people to the illegal alternatives (if only to get an decensor patch).

That said, verifying age is very easy in Germany.... passport shows your age ;p And you don't even *have* a (real) passport unless you are 18. So the solution here is a physical location (Deutsche Post related) where you register once, and where steam can ask "does this dude have the age to access this?" and done. Could be done 100% anonymous. Now that is a German only solution, but when there isn't a global alternative then Steam simply has to use the national services.... it would not make them into the NSA of GAMES That said, Steam likely knows more about you than the NSA.

17. Re: etc., etc. Jan 23, 2015, 00:31 eRe4s3r

Orogogus wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 15:26:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 06:38:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 05:07:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 04:27:
The real reason is that Steam refuses to implement an age check, something we've been complaining about for what seems like a decade now.

Either way, from what I hear any of the mentioned games have more or less official uncensor patches flying about. Nekopara certainly had when it released (hosted on MEGA). And once you see what was censored it makes sense that they couldn't sell that on a store without a age check.

Steam has an age check. Any game with violence requires it just to get to the summary page for the game. Not sure what you're talking about? And if you want to purchase the game, you need a credit card of course, which requires you to be 18.

Nah, you don't need a CC for steam (and never did) and the pick-your-age landing page is not an age verification at all.

What is needed for uncensored games is a system to VERIFY a users age. Otherwise Steam would be breaking law in the EU. Which is a thing Steam has to think about considering half it's business is outside the US.

What kind of electronic age verification works internationally?

And there, you see, is the problem It would be a hodgepodge of national solutions, but either that or censorship.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 23, 2015, 00:27 eRe4s3r

Google defenses? You ever had a android phone or tablet? Yeah defenses... haha.. with 0 patches  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 22, 2015, 15:16 eRe4s3r

Good thing you can set flash to "click-to-play" which you really should do nowadays I guess...

And aside, that PUP's are not classified malware is a joke.. ASK.COM is one of the absolute worst offenders of this and should be legally punished for it. More hilarious is they actively try to deny it's malware and even are "helpful" if you contact them for instructions when you want to remove it. How about not bundling this crap to begin with?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 22, 2015, 15:00 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 12:03:
Bill Borre wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 11:59:
It looked to me like just another Google Glass.

No, it is quite a bit more than that. Google glass is basically just a HUD/Camera, and this actually allows far more interactivity and options.

Whether that all makes it something that's worth using remains to be seen.

But, we gotta start somewhere. We don't go from nothing to holodeck in one leap.

(Funny thing, I was watching some TNG extras on the bluray, and Melissa Snodgrass said that "If you had replicators and holodecks, nobody would ever leave their house. Also, people would get up to the most heinous debauchery in those holodecks." So true. )

Would solve 99% of the worlds problems in one fell swoop. We could live in nuclear bunkers and never even notice ,)

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jan 22, 2015, 09:50 eRe4s3r

aside from point 1 I felt my IQ float away after reading those writing trends that need to die.. more like article trends that need to die...  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2015, 07:43 eRe4s3r

Holo goggles would need at least some kind of finger attachment, maybe coupled with a ring so that it can know where the hand is... if you want to use it in the room for say, switching TV channels you are not gonna get away with "no buttons"

Just as a thing to project information in a room you might just as well use a normal screen, no? Now this + some form of hand/finger-tracking coupled with VR on the other hand...

13. Re: etc., etc. Jan 22, 2015, 06:38 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 05:07:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 04:27:
The real reason is that Steam refuses to implement an age check, something we've been complaining about for what seems like a decade now.

Either way, from what I hear any of the mentioned games have more or less official uncensor patches flying about. Nekopara certainly had when it released (hosted on MEGA). And once you see what was censored it makes sense that they couldn't sell that on a store without a age check.

Steam has an age check. Any game with violence requires it just to get to the summary page for the game. Not sure what you're talking about? And if you want to purchase the game, you need a credit card of course, which requires you to be 18.

Nah, you don't need a CC for steam (and never did) and the pick-your-age landing page is not an age verification at all.

What is needed for uncensored games is a system to VERIFY a users age. Otherwise Steam would be breaking law in the EU. Which is a thing Steam has to think about considering half it's business is outside the US.

11. Re: etc., etc. Jan 22, 2015, 04:27 eRe4s3r

News Comments > Cross-Platform Windows 10 Fable Legends Announced
13. Re: Cross-Platform Windows 10 Fable Legends Announced Jan 22, 2015, 00:14 eRe4s3r

This is a new level of stupid from MS. W10 isn't even OUT, and they announce this? Do they honestly believe W10 is gonna have any kind of market penetration when this game release? Heck even "successful" OS win 7 took well over 3 years to gain dominance.... MS, go home, you are drunk!  

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Beta Incentive
5. Re: Battlefield Hardline Beta Incentive Jan 21, 2015, 12:02 eRe4s3r

I guess the real news here is .. that there is a hardline beta going on?

Yay?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2015, 11:54 eRe4s3r

Life is a deadly disease anyway...  

News Comments > Steam Update Adds Broadcasting, FPS Counter
11. Re: Steam Update Adds Broadcasting, FPS Counter Jan 20, 2015, 10:05 eRe4s3r

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 09:21:
You can set resolution output and up to 3500kbits.

That's quite informative... considering I have barely 700kbits up speed ~.~

News Comments > Sid Meier's Starships Announced
27. Re: Sid Meier's Starships Announced Jan 20, 2015, 10:04 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 08:39:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 22:22:
And at the end of the vid I spied a APP STORE icon, meaning it's gonna be a tablet game.. meh.
It is. It says it right in the announcement.

Yeah I noticed that.. Means it's gonna be another fail game .. and given 2K is involved, with micro-payments ;p

News Comments > Diablo III "Major Lag"
13. Re: Diablo III Jan 20, 2015, 04:21 eRe4s3r

Krovven wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 03:22:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 22:27:
RNG Jesus was totally on my side... playing normal Torment 1 rifts and ended up finding a map where there was a 30+ group of treasure goblins in a far corner, and yes, each of them had it's duplicated pair the entire screen was full.... joy ;p

Also had the portal open in that encounter... rare luck. I like it

Wait. Vault portal opened in a rift? I thought it can only open in Bounties?

Bounties... rifts... all 1 wash But you are right, it was a bounty (in eternal battlefields) the horde of Goblins was in a rift I had open at the time. Sorry for the confusion

News Comments > Steam Update Adds Broadcasting, FPS Counter
2. Re: Steam Update Adds Broadcasting, FPS Counter Jan 20, 2015, 00:04 eRe4s3r

What's the upload requirement for this?  

7655 Comments. 383 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo