Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 8040 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 1, 2015, 00:19 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 23:16:
@Cutter. Where do you see that this is a mobile port? I don't see that anywhere.

This looks pretty cool. Nice art style, and should appeal to those that want to play the other side of the fence. Could be the next "Papers Please."

Maybe he meant it's by a dev that only did mobile games so far

Btw.. played Life is Strange.. through.. twice.. and absolutely love it. This is how Telltale games should be, infinitely better game design. But still can't scape the formulaic nature of these games.. nice story, nice mood, and max kicks ass Or should.. really.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 31, 2015, 15:49 eRe4s3r

And yet MacOSX is 1% of the desktop market, Apple overtook jack shit.  

News Comments > Bot Colony Ending
30. Re: Bot Colony Ending Jan 31, 2015, 11:54 eRe4s3r

harlock wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 11:26:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 11:08:
harlock wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 09:38:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 02:45:
I realize you're being facetious, but what I'm describing will happen within a decade, whereas what you're talking about is much further out.

no it wont, but keep on dreaming

Maybe in the way he describes it is further out, but basic AI interaction with language parsers is already possible (Siri/Google Voice Search). They are dumb as bread, sure. But if every character in an RPG were like Siri, with reference database only for that character (so his response patterns and everything he knows would be unique to him).. that is definitely possible already. It'd just be a pain in the ass to actually do this and it will definitely require a online/cloud based computation.

and next week we will have flying cars and jetpacks...

its not that its *impossible*, its just not super practical or necessary, or even very desirable for most people

That's very much true

26. Re: Bot Colony Ending Jan 31, 2015, 11:08 eRe4s3r

harlock wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 09:38:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 02:45:
I realize you're being facetious, but what I'm describing will happen within a decade, whereas what you're talking about is much further out.

no it wont, but keep on dreaming

Maybe in the way he describes it is further out, but basic AI interaction with language parsers is already possible (Siri/Google Voice Search). They are dumb as bread, sure. But if every character in an RPG were like Siri, with reference database only for that character (so his response patterns and everything he knows would be unique to him).. that is definitely possible already. It'd just be a pain in the ass to actually do this and it will definitely require a online/cloud based computation.

News Comments > Evolve Solo Trailer
6. Re: Evolve Solo Trailer Jan 31, 2015, 09:54 eRe4s3r

Am I the only one who finds this incredibly funny? I mean what the hell do you guys expect, this is 2K as it lives and breathes.

I know bashing EA and Ubisoft is "in" right now, but from all the publishers 2K and Activision are the actual *worst* because both don't give a flying fuck about customers. EA and Ubisoft at least try to somehow get investors and customers on 1 page (even if they fail epicly) but trying is better than not...

So yeah, 2K , business as usual

11. Re: Bot Colony Ending Jan 30, 2015, 21:50 eRe4s3r

harlock wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 21:24:
Acleacius wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 21:22:
Unless I've missed something and he really cared, all he would have to do is release the network source or source code to allow fans to run their own servers.

yeh you missed it.. its licensed middleware, not some kind of open source bullshit

To be more precise they use Dragon Natural Speaking 10

So what they did is even less impressive than I originally thought...

4. Re: Bot Colony Ending Jan 30, 2015, 19:22 eRe4s3r

Their problem was that the first let's play I watched of this spend 60 minutes re-arranging furniture with a barely working speech-to-text interface.. it was like controlling a dog, with bark noises.

This took $5m cash, I believe that, but it was never a game worth a single cent... when you have Ghost in the Shell and Akira around that show how robots are done, you do not have the player fuck around an hour to re-arrange furniture in a "find the differences" image game. What the actual fuck... the worst possible intro possible.. I wonder how many people that alone turned off. And if that turned me off, a major sci-fi geek, then.. yeah. This failed because their NLU was not advanced enough, didn't work well enough, and for what it tried to do was completely inferior to just CLICKING on things.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2015, 19:30.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 30, 2015, 18:19 eRe4s3r

At least one thing is true.. I haven't seen anything yet and I don't want to (given it's an dota clone)  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 29, 2015, 21:05 eRe4s3r

Maybe because everyone is waiting for the big games to deliver...  

News Comments > Dead State Demo
2. Re: Dead State Demo Jan 29, 2015, 20:00 eRe4s3r

harlock wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 19:43:
Get familiar with Dead State's deep tactical turn-based combat system

the fuck are they smoking..

I guess nowadays anything with AP and hit-chances is *HARDCORE*

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 29, 2015, 19:47 eRe4s3r

"(wikipedia is) a game of provocation chicken, both sides try to work as close to the ill-defined edge of acceptable behaviour to provoke the other into crossing it."

Hah

35. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 29, 2015, 18:01 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 17:38:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 17:35:
Beamer wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 15:16:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 14:54:
And let's say there is a cult that REALLY loves their broken bridges and who had to defend their broken bridges against an corrupt lawyer with tooth nails and any weapon they could field, and you publish that article with comments disabled, on youtube, mis-portray bridges that are not even really broken, selectively show tropes that only prove your side while leaving the ones that would kinda defeat your point out... and to top it all of, you insult one of the most loved broken bridge in the world. Suddenly you are surprised that cult really hates your guts, and so much that even years after that article, they still hate your guts?

Here's the problem, though: you said "her side."

Her side is just that video games are often very lazy in their portrayals of women and repeatedly use very common tropes.

That's it.

You can't say she ignores things that prove her wrong because you can't prove that wrong. You can't accuse her of being selective because all she's doing is showing how common the tropes are.

Eh, of course I can say she is being selective. She only shows scenes staged in such a way to show these tropes. I could show you any trope you want in Fallout 3, by recording and playing selectively just to prove that point, and through editing make it so as if that game were completely focused on those tropes. I could make it a pacifist simulator, a racist game, a sexist game and a game that reinforces slavery. It would never even get close to what Fallout 3 actually is because I play to reinforce a point, not how a normal person plays these games.

To me, her videos were always nothing but jokes. The underwear scene out of Kingdoms of Amalur for example, reinforces NOTHING except that the player threw away the STARTING CLOTHS. Now is the game sexist.. or is the player? ...

And yes, her side. I like my broken bridges and anyone who wants a world without them is an enemy of mine. Long live the cult of broken bridges! Recruiting under any broken bridge near you Sign up now, and you get address and phone number of Zoe Quinn!

I don't think she ever claims a game is totally focused on that trope, she's just showing how common that trope is. If it's in a game, it's in a game, whether it's there once or a hundred times.

The point isn't saying "these games are nothing but tropes," but "these tropes are in a lot of games."

Yeah, except, as I said, that she shows tropes in Kingdoms of Amalur and Saints Row that are not actually there. And that's a pretty big issue when you claim to take a "scientific look on tropes about females in video games"

Ps.: IN the end, the only thing I do fault her for, is for making the internet more toxic because she put herself in the spotlight, and not just the video. She babbles on about change and stuff, but that is all crap. Nothing will change, because she has made it a "red vs blue" thing. The sides will now always exist, no one on either side will budge, and that is how you make the internet more toxic. Because both sides draw in more and more supporters over time, that's how it goes on the web.

The threats she receives are unacceptable, and there is no "but" coming

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 2015, 18:20.

33. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 29, 2015, 17:35 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 15:16:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 14:54:
And let's say there is a cult that REALLY loves their broken bridges and who had to defend their broken bridges against an corrupt lawyer with tooth nails and any weapon they could field, and you publish that article with comments disabled, on youtube, mis-portray bridges that are not even really broken, selectively show tropes that only prove your side while leaving the ones that would kinda defeat your point out... and to top it all of, you insult one of the most loved broken bridge in the world. Suddenly you are surprised that cult really hates your guts, and so much that even years after that article, they still hate your guts?

Here's the problem, though: you said "her side."

Her side is just that video games are often very lazy in their portrayals of women and repeatedly use very common tropes.

That's it.

You can't say she ignores things that prove her wrong because you can't prove that wrong. You can't accuse her of being selective because all she's doing is showing how common the tropes are.

Eh, of course I can say she is being selective. She only shows scenes staged in such a way to show these tropes. I could show you any trope you want in Fallout 3, by recording and playing selectively just to prove that point, and through editing make it so as if that game were completely focused on those tropes. I could make it a pacifist simulator, a racist game, a sexist game and a game that reinforces slavery. It would never even get close to what Fallout 3 actually is because I play to reinforce a point, not how a normal person plays these games.

To me, her videos were always nothing but jokes. The underwear scene out of Kingdoms of Amalur for example, reinforces NOTHING except that the player threw away the STARTING CLOTHS. Now is the game sexist.. or is the player? ...

And yes, her side. I like my broken bridges and anyone who wants a world without them is an enemy of mine. Long live the cult of broken bridges! Recruiting under any broken bridge near you Sign up now, and you get address and phone number of Zoe Quinn, the usurper of broken bridges!

Ps. I am not serious with the bridges I know fully well she does not agitate against gamers, but her posse does (not just against gamers, also against developers and artists). And as I said, you can't throw a molotov in a horde of zombies and believe you can somehow get away from it unscathed. She triggered the shit-storm, and her posse fuels it. To me that can never result in a change or even lead to the convincing of anyone. If you bash the things people love, those people will not listen to your argument. And her videos may not have been that, but Zoe Quinn and that whole shitfest that ran along it also happened. And since then this topic is toxic.

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 2015, 17:48.

31. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 29, 2015, 14:54 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 14:33:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 14:07:
Beamer wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 11:07:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 19:40:
Asmo wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 19:15:
Oh yeah, and fucking Sarkeesian is going to have a fucking field day with this... /eyeroll
Considering that she throws a hissy fit whenever someone disagrees with her opinions, it doesn't take much for that to happen.

Can you show me an instance of her having a hissy fit, or even talking to someone disagreeing with her?

She's always civil, or even smiling, and her interactions tend to be solely through her videos, as she is there to start dialogue, not be a part of it.

Starting a dialog and not wanting to be part of it is like throwing a molotov cocktail into a crowd of zombies and THEN complaining the zombies bite your ass off. In case of Sarkeesian, if it were the zombie apocalypse and she'd ask me for help, I'd ignore her, because according to her, women can help themselves and men helping a "damsel in distress" are misogynistic. I think that's super awesome, from now on I will only ever help men when I see one that needs my help, and never a women. That's the world these people want, no?

Disagreed.

Think of it this way: I read an article on the worst bridges in America the other day. If Anita Sarkeesian had written this article, people would:
- Argue that she cherry picked the bridges and that some bridges are great
- Argue that, yeah, the US may have some problems with bridges but other countries have worse bridges
- Argue that who cares about bridges when we also have problems with roads, and why fix one without fixing the other?
- Ask how come the article didn't propose solutions
- Get angry that she dare criticize bridges, how many had she even been on?
- Say that if she loves bridges in good condition so much why doesn't she just build one herself?
- Ask where the comments section is so they could debate with her whether these bridges are good or not

That isn't the purpose. The article just wanted to raise awareness that the US infrastructure was underfunded and some bridges were in bad condition. And the author didn't want to lead a discussion. It didn't want to be involved in the discussion. It wanted the discussion to not happen via tens of thousands of people on the internet at the same time, which goes nowhere and can't be followed (and unfairly makes the author the sole authority figure), but would rather people read it, think about it themselves, then maybe talk to some friends about what they'd seen and what they thought about it.

Can Anita really have a discussion with every single video game player? Or is it better if some of them watch the videos and then talk to their friends as they try to figure out if they agree or not?

The difference is bridges are built for everyone by the gov, games are built by private corporations for a target market, a market that might very well be 90% male and so cares fuck all about women in gaming. So that is actually an really iffy comparison.

Don't mess with dudes loving broken bridges.

To me, she threw a molotov cocktail and then is surprised there's a fire. I mean do you honestly believe she did not realize this would be a massive shitfest of hatred directed at her? Why not post these videos and articles anonymously at the very least?

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 29, 2015, 14:35 eRe4s3r

Bard wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 12:47:
CSE spying goes against the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

This is going to be a political shitstorm for Harper - and the conservatives.

Fun fact, documents classified secret can not be used in a public court of law in Canada (nor in Germany) which is why nobody will ever face any consequences. This is the perfect crime, you know what they do, you know it's illegal, but it would be illegal to provide proof that they did something illegal.

Politicians are thus criminals that legalize their own crimes. Awesome, imo.

29. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 29, 2015, 14:07 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 11:07:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 19:40:
Asmo wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 19:15:
Oh yeah, and fucking Sarkeesian is going to have a fucking field day with this... /eyeroll
Considering that she throws a hissy fit whenever someone disagrees with her opinions, it doesn't take much for that to happen.

Can you show me an instance of her having a hissy fit, or even talking to someone disagreeing with her?

She's always civil, or even smiling, and her interactions tend to be solely through her videos, as she is there to start dialogue, not be a part of it.

Starting a dialog and not wanting to be part of it is like throwing a molotov cocktail into a crowd of zombies and THEN complaining the zombies bite your ass off. In case of Sarkeesian, if it were the zombie apocalypse and she'd ask me for help, I'd ignore her, because according to her, women can help themselves and men helping a "damsel in distress" are misogynistic. I think that's super awesome, from now on I will only ever help men when I see one that needs my help, and never a women. That's the world these people want, no?

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Open Beta Next Week
2. Re: Battlefield Hardline Open Beta Next Week Jan 29, 2015, 13:51 eRe4s3r

Am I the only one who gets "Error: Server not found" with these youtube links lately? "server https can not be found"

Youtube links are embedded like this
https://www.youtube.com/embed/wuY3xNa8PBY

not like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuY3xNa8PBY

But that can't be the error here.. weird

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 2015, 13:58.

27. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 29, 2015, 09:52 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 09:38:
I am in the same camp Eraser. I usually hate RPGs which wont let me develop my own character. But the third Witcher simply looks too good to pass up, even if in my mind it will probably be more of an open world action adventure, instead of a proper cRPG. Still we were talking about 'why sex matters' and in the case of an adult game with a strong and well developed protagonist, as well as an ambiguous and slightly off-kilter world where nothing is as it seems there is no reason why it shouldnt.

Yeah and for that reason I will consider getting it anyway. Once it's on sale or something. The sex in Witcher is however not why I get these games... For me it's only the atmosphere and lore. (Which is why to me, these pre-defined characters are not adding much at all).

It is however nice we get to see these games still being made.. even if they are tainted by consoles

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Heroes of Might & Magic III HD Edition
3. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Heroes of Might & Magic III HD Edition Jan 29, 2015, 09:47 eRe4s3r

Tim1_2 wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 09:30:
This is a game certainly deserving of a HD update. I will buy this. Super-addictive.

Except

Does not come with Shadow of Death or Armaggedons blade expansion packs
No random map gen
No 1v1v1 maps/scenarios

It's an empty husk of the game. Yeah in HD, but lesser in all ways compared to the old game.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 29, 2015, 09:33 eRe4s3r

China only does what the US is already doing.  

8040 Comments. 402 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo