Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 9273 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Just killed my WLAN and I hate physics Oct 23, 2015, 21:28 eRe4s3r

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 20:38:
Genesys wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 20:02:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 19:23:
I must have skipped the part in my physics education where electromagnetic fields could influence radio waves.... fucking advanced technology.. it really is like voodoo magic.. and if it breaks you really need a Shaman nowadays.. man
I think you missed the part in your physics education that said that radio waves ARE elctromagnetec fields! :)

USB 3.0's 5 Ghz signal rate, in particular, will interfere with bluetooth and 2.4 Ghz wifi signals: USB 3.0* Radio Frequency Interference on 2.4 GHz Devices Make sure you buy USB hubs with fully-shielded plugs, and see if you can get an external antenna for your NUC.

Wow.. that is one of the most informative replies I could have hoped for. And yeah, I have to admit my physics education was... let's just say, not my favorite thing in school (not that WLAN or USB existed back then...) So that would explain why it fixes itself when the NUC is a distance away from the HUBS/DESK/LCD and not anywhere near a metal frame desk (which I guess would reflect the USB interference back into the case-antenna even if it is.. or maybe exactly because it is not touching the metal frame directly?

As I said, that's some pretty dang informative link you dug up there. Never even made the connection with USB 3.0 frequencies... that could indeed have been the problem I had.

Just mentioning this.. but this was the indeed the problem.. wow.

One of my hubs is a cheap-ass hub, the other is very premium much wow.. and so on. The USB cables to hub 1 (USB 3.0) are all connected to USB 3.0 ports. The cables are very very convoluted on my desk.. so I straightened them and put the (full) hub basically way away from my desk. The cables go STRAIGHT off and away from the NUC which does not sit anywhere near metal now.

This essentially fixed the problem entirely

So.. THANK YOU SO MUCH Genesys I'd never have drawn this connection. Somehow the (USB 3.0) CABLES and the USB 3.0 external HDD alone created this localized interference. One of the primary culprits (Wlan immediately resumed) was my external usb 3.0 HDD and its cable (which I had tucked together because it was too long...) just like in that info graphic in that link you gave essentially. Seeing how the test setup was I put the cable as straight away from the NUC as possible and put the actual HDD as far as away as is absolutely possible and connected it to an USB 2.0 hub instead of the USB 3.0 hub. Suddenly it all works again and the distortion is nowhere to be found. So it seems a series of shielding problems that resulted in a total collapse of WLAN was the source.

I learned something fundamentally new here. Thank you again.

Ps.: TL;DR it was the external USB 3.0 HDD when connected to the USB 3.0 hub. That alone (well, and it's very long cable!) created enough interference to kill my wifi...

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2015, 21:44.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Just killed my WLAN and I hate physics Oct 23, 2015, 21:15 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 20:27:
I must have skipped the part in my physics education where electromagnetic fields could influence radio waves..
Okay, this doesn't make it particularly less weird, but you do realize that radio waves are electromagnetic waves, right? From Wiki:

Radio waves are a type of electromagnetic radiation with wavelengths in the electromagnetic spectrum longer than infrared light. Radio waves have frequencies from 300 GHz to as low as 3 kHz, and corresponding wavelengths ranging from 1 millimeter (0.039 in) to 100 kilometers (62 mi).

Edit: Ha! Walked away for a small task and Genesys beats me to it, oh well.

Well yeah I made a huge doozy there, but I honestly couldn't fathom how something can create such a huge interference out of nowhere and so localized too around my desk, but did you check the link he posted? That's some Grade A WTF stuff right there.

Well, don't say bluesnews OOTB isn't informative as hell every now and then

17. Re: Just killed my WLAN and I hate physics Oct 23, 2015, 20:38 eRe4s3r

Genesys wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 20:02:
I must have skipped the part in my physics education where electromagnetic fields could influence radio waves.... fucking advanced technology.. it really is like voodoo magic.. and if it breaks you really need a Shaman nowadays.. man
I think you missed the part in your physics education that said that radio waves ARE elctromagnetec fields! :)

USB 3.0's 5 Ghz signal rate, in particular, will interfere with bluetooth and 2.4 Ghz wifi signals: USB 3.0* Radio Frequency Interference on 2.4 GHz Devices Make sure you buy USB hubs with fully-shielded plugs, and see if you can get an external antenna for your NUC.

Wow.. that is one of the most informative replies I could have hoped for. And yeah, I have to admit my physics education was... let's just say, not my favorite thing in school (not that WLAN or USB existed back then...) So that would explain why it fixes itself when the NUC is a distance away from the HUBS/DESK/LCD and not anywhere near a metal frame desk (which I guess would reflect the USB interference back into the case-antenna even if it is.. or maybe exactly because it is not touching the metal frame directly?

As I said, that's some pretty dang informative link you dug up there. Never even made the connection with USB 3.0 frequencies... that could indeed have been the problem I had.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Oct 23, 2015, 19:43 eRe4s3r

That storm sounds like something straight from an hollywood disaster flick from another world.. 390km/h peak speeds, on 1m pressure of 700kg and beyond.

Holy crap

14. Just killed my WLAN and I hate physics Oct 23, 2015, 19:23 eRe4s3r

Wanna read something that makes you scratch your head?

I have a steel framed wood desk, 2 powered usb hubs, an INTEL NUC with integrated antenna. The case is Aluminum, WLAN worked fine. And I have lots of USB cables. Now imagine my surprise, when I put a 2nd USB hub on the DESK it killed my WLAN if, and only if, my NUC was positioned in a narrow field below the right panel edge of my LCD

I could literally trace the WLAN death field to what amounts a 30cm bubble around the right side of the LCD panel (where my NUC was sitting) if, and only if the 2 hubs are connected to the NUC and the devices I need are plugged in. The more devices plugged in the HUBS = the larger the field, but only if the NUC sat on the metal framed press-wood desk. (The hubs could be anywhere..)

So somehow I created a 2.4ghz distortion field by putting 2 USB hubs, a NUC, a LCD screen and a ton of cables on a metal framed desk. I put the NUC on a book a bit to the side = WLAN resumed working.

So what the fuck? How can electricity in USB hubs and a LCD panel edge reaching above my NUC create a distortion field that amounts to a bubble like shape around that desk?

I am stumped.. in all my time in IT I have *NEVER* seen anything like this. I.. I don't even understand how this is possible. Somehow I have created a distortion field that could literally create 100% absorption field for 2.4ghz WLAN signals.

So yeah, my day was fun Diagnosing this was anything but straightforward. I have a TON of wlan devices here and never had this happen before.

Btw.. I may just have found a design fault in these particular intel NUC cases when you use internal WLAN cards. I know the case IS the "antenna" but the device is not touching metal anywhere.. so I think the USB connectors themselves must be inducing some kind of distortion that kills WLAN and creates a sort of feedback loop in the antenna. Since the field was not traceable with a tablet. But the wlan death field only exists when the device is *on* the desk. Weird..

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2015, 19:36.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Ready to Roll
2. Re: Fallout 4 Ready to Roll Oct 23, 2015, 19:04 eRe4s3r

Quickly, catch it and grill it! .. because BACON  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 23, 2015, 09:21 eRe4s3r

Simon Says wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 09:04:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 06:58:
The real source of discontent is a nice clause in the contracts of many networks that basically pwns Youtubers by making the "switch" to red MANDATORY and that if they release videos on BOTH systems they are "fired" aka, not allowed to post "normal" youtube content on RED

This forces them out of their networks and is why so many are up in arms. So really the issue is not youtube RED, it's the networks

Indeed: http://techcrunch.com/2015/10/21/an-offer-creators-cant-refuse/

Nuuuuh.. that article makes my brain hurt, clickbait headline deluxe.

The TOS needs be signed by ALL partner members and is because the TOS changed. The networks themselves however are the ones enforcing this weird "RED or DEAD" stance on channels, not youtube

Really shitty move by certain *cough* Mediakraft *cough* partner networks.

And youtube is not lying. 99% signed the TOS. (obviously) but the real shit-storm is hidden nicely out of view behind partner network secret contracts. If you followed a few big name vlogs lately you also know that the mood is vile. Big name youtubers are thinking about dropping their networks (and with that, the channels that they hold hostage) entirely. Something that happened to Mediakraft who is peddling dead channels now and has closed everyone who disagreed flat out down (aka fired them).

Anyway, huge shit-storm around Mediakraft currently. I wonder how it is in the network where TB is in?

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 23, 2015, 06:58 eRe4s3r

The real source of discontent is a nice clause in the contracts of many networks that basically pwns Youtubers by making the "switch" to red MANDATORY and that if they release videos on BOTH systems they are "fired" aka, not allowed to post "normal" youtube content on RED

This forces them out of their networks and is why so many are up in arms. So really the issue is not youtube RED, it's the networks

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Oct 23, 2015, 06:53 eRe4s3r

Hah To me it's just surprising considering how much hype there was here for SCL  

News Comments > etc.
31. Re: etc. Oct 22, 2015, 17:48 eRe4s3r

Razumen wrote on Oct 22, 2015, 16:14:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 22, 2015, 16:05:
Slick wrote on Oct 22, 2015, 12:52:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 22, 2015, 09:42:
Great, a SJW has become president in Canada? Well, not like Canada was ever relevant in the world, but now even less so.

you've got to be one of the most ignorant voices on this board. and that's saying something.

yeah, who'd ever want a leader of a nation to fight for social justice?

TRUMP 2016

Reminds me of How to win any argument about Social Justice

Way to extrapolate from my snarky remark btw... I have no idea if he's an SJW, but what he said screams 3rd gen feminism and when politicians bring ideological baggage then I don't find that too amusing. As prime minister he is supposed to work for the improvement of a nation, not for the spread of an ideology.

And I have no idea what goes in the USA with Trump/Hillary and that nonsense. Don't care really. Canada on the other hand was already suffering from Harpers kleptocracy and I doubt it gets better when you replace 1 kleptocracy with another. Look into the 2 clans that govern Canada... you may realize why I find this "revolutionary" view on this new dude hilarious

Are you implying that gender equality and the end of misogyny doesn't contribute to the betterment of a nation?

I am implying that what you write is not the goal of 3rd gen feminism

Btw, whether feminism is really a "betterment" of a nation would be an awesome (actual) debate topic. I have no idea about that.. not even a formed opinion really.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2015, 17:56.

News Comments > etc.
27. Re: etc. Oct 22, 2015, 16:05 eRe4s3r

Slick wrote on Oct 22, 2015, 12:52:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 22, 2015, 09:42:
Great, a SJW has become president in Canada? Well, not like Canada was ever relevant in the world, but now even less so.

you've got to be one of the most ignorant voices on this board. and that's saying something.

yeah, who'd ever want a leader of a nation to fight for social justice?

TRUMP 2016

Reminds me of How to win any argument about Social Justice

Way to extrapolate from my snarky remark btw... I have no idea if he's an SJW, but what he said screams 3rd gen feminism and when politicians bring ideological baggage then I don't find that too amusing. As prime minister he is supposed to work for the improvement of a nation, not for the spread of an ideology.

And I have no idea what goes in the USA with Trump/Hillary and that nonsense. Don't care really. Canada on the other hand was already suffering from Harpers kleptocracy and I doubt it gets better when you replace 1 kleptocracy with another. Look into the 2 clans that govern Canada... you may realize why I find this "revolutionary" view on this new dude hilarious

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Oct 22, 2015, 15:13 eRe4s3r

Nobody commenting on what massive fail Sword Coast Legends is? I told you so. it was 100% hype with ZERO substance. Watched a few let's plays that went deep into the story and.. my god. This is the best they could do? In what way is this game even DnD related aside from names? The important DnD 5.0 systems all don't exist ... what a lame ass excuse for a DnD game.. bah

On the other hand, finally got around to playing Life is Strange from 1 to 5 in.. 2 sittings over 2 day. What a journey... though some is cringe worthy and the "reveal" (imo) came from miles away it was still one of the most memorable game experiences in my overall gaming journey.

I would even go so far as say that Life is Strange is closer to the feel you had when you first played Shadow of the Colossus or seen Alien. It was something new. Hopefully we'll see more games like that (with way higher production values...) but as it is, did not regret buying into that one.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Oct 22, 2015, 09:42 eRe4s3r

11. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 21, 2015, 22:55 eRe4s3r

Bill Borre wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 20:15:
There's stuff on youtube worth paying for to watch?

Depends on your interests ,)

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Tales of Zestiria
8. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Tales of Zestiria Oct 21, 2015, 12:31 eRe4s3r

MT Silver wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 04:34:
How is it with mouse and keyboard? I won't buy a game that demands a pad.

Runs just fine with M/KB, requires some getting used to, but apart from 1 issue with the way you select stuff in BUY/SELL menues (left click is CONFIRM and "click" to change tab so it gets a bit iffy sometimes...

But I played to level 25 now (char level) and can tell you it works fine with M/KB. This is one of these games you wanna run with DSR though, very flicker happy AA issues otherwise

News Comments > Ubisoft Club Seeks Members
15. Re: Ubisoft Club Seeks Members Oct 20, 2015, 15:19 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 14:54:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 05:50:
KilrathiAce wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 01:32:
UBI SOFT CLUB LOL, sure just stop UBI, I wish UBI left pc gaming and gaming altogether and just go mobile or gambling machines.

They still make 1 decent game series though which is Anno

When is that new one coming out?

3rd November...

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Tales of Zestiria
2. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Tales of Zestiria Oct 20, 2015, 14:53 eRe4s3r

Brumbek wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 13:05:
30 FPS lock for gameplay, 24 FPS lock for cutscenes. NOPE. (And reviews are saying the game itself is outdated and messy, so those of us who demand 60 FPS aren't missing much.)

Yes, I am sure the limited fps massively hinders your enjoyment of a JRPG...

10. Re: Ubisoft Club Seeks Members Oct 20, 2015, 05:50 eRe4s3r

KilrathiAce wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 01:32:
UBI SOFT CLUB LOL, sure just stop UBI, I wish UBI left pc gaming and gaming altogether and just go mobile or gambling machines.

They still make 1 decent game series though which is Anno

4. Re: Ubisoft Club Seeks Members Oct 19, 2015, 19:49 eRe4s3r

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 19:32:
Wasn't that the whole fucking point of Uplay before it became Steam jr?

So I signed up and it looked at everything Uplay already tracks and put me at level 27.

What did I get for that?
NOTHING. Not a damn thing.

Mhhh level 15 and equally no fucking clue what the point of that was... if there are any rewards for anything beyond the uPlay ones I don't see em...

News Comments > Hideo Kojima's Konami Exit
3. Re: Hideo Kojima's Konami Exit Oct 19, 2015, 19:09 eRe4s3r

I for one want more "anomalies" and it seems Konami and the Japanese development market in general are less and less able to actually produce those.

Because we sure as hell don't have enough of those in the vein of metal gear solid

Too bad really. It's the end of Konami as a developer with international success. If they think the future lies in mobile market then all the better for them, but mobile won't be forever profitable.

And seriously, considering how retarded many Japanese devs act when they release games on Steam... it seems the "market" in Japan in general has to learn by fire how to do success on a true international sales platform. (Like JAST for example)

Ps.: Hoping this means Kojima will run a KS

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2015, 19:20.

9273 Comments. 464 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo