Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 8729 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 21, 2015, 19:57 eRe4s3r

I feel like a old person saying this (get of my lawn!) but I can honestly say I skipped Facebook and any other social media crap and I feel glad for it. I don't want to talk to tertiary family members, people I once met and now are irrelevant in my life etc. In some way Facebook even disenfranchises you from your own private life... you lose control over what is you and what is virtual you. And put it in the hands of a giant evil corporation, which in case of Facebook is meant quite literal. And worse, Facebook "friends" tagging you in images...

Btw, all those other news links are about the same level of depressing

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Gameplay Video
19. Re: Just Cause 3 Gameplay Video Jun 21, 2015, 06:40 eRe4s3r

Slick wrote on Jun 21, 2015, 05:46:
Krovven wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 23:36:
Fantaz wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 22:32:
wow, looks much better. why play GTA when you can play this?

Because there is no multiplayer in JC3.

wait, there's functional multiplayer in GTAV now? no wai! I must have missed that patch.

apparently I missed it too My PC GTA 5 experience online was one of waiting, more waiting, loading more loading and disconnects.

General Discussion > 20 Years Of Bluesnews
2. Re: 20 Years Of Bluesnews Jun 21, 2015, 06:38 eRe4s3r

I feel old, also wouldn't that be in 2016?  

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Gameplay Video
14. Re: Just Cause 3 Gameplay Video Jun 20, 2015, 22:29 eRe4s3r

Jerykk wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 21:14:
Steele Johnson wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 21:00:
Might be fun. I'm a bit turned off by the unrealistic physics.

If you're looking for realism, the Just Cause series is definitely not for you. If you're looking for crazy traversal and wanton destruction, you're in the right place.

And as we all know, overkill is underrated

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Ultimate Edition
14. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Ultimate Edition Jun 20, 2015, 22:10 eRe4s3r

dj LiTh wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 18:29:
Slashman wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 17:58:
Star Ruler 2 rocks. It is a very underrated game that didn't get enough press.

Maybe thats because there's Star Ruler 1 which is still without half of the promised features... Let me guess they promise all those missing ones in Star Ruler 2 but they arent quite finished right? ...

Star Ruler 2 is a pretty damn good space rts and it is 100% feature complete. One of the better games this year even. It absolutely deserves more attention imo...

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Ultimate Edition
13. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Ultimate Edition Jun 20, 2015, 22:08 eRe4s3r

Zappa Dan Man wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 19:25:
This is clearly an effort to make some quick money after 'sins of dark age' MOBA, tanked so viciously hard. If you look at the current steam charts for the game, there are currently 42 (that's right forty two) people playing that game this moment.

http://steamcharts.com/app/251970

I expect bluesnews headline for sins of a dark age server closure any moment. But to make any sort of money to cover the ongoing loses; repackage SoaSE, minimal effort, call it ultimate edition... understandable

I think worse than these numbers (which are bad, I grant you that) is that I never even heard of Sins of a Dark Age ;p (f2P to pay conversion rates are around 10%) so 4.4 people of that have spent money... 4.. and a halfling Woohoo! (Btw, is there something to spend money on? I couldn't find any info at all..)

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Jun 20, 2015, 21:42 eRe4s3r

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 18:09:
I read from the article that 18% of *Steam* gamers are women, not PC gamers in general. My mother and grandmother both game on PC's for example. Mom has a Steam account and plays games on there, but hardly ever. Both her and my grandma play many more games on PC that are not on steam, like Pogo games and such. I actually caught my mom using a bot on one of her pogo games when I was over for the holidays and just shook my head and asked "why?". Many other gaming sites and platforms have a much greater hold on the female gaming population than Steam does. My mom also is all about nostalgia in gaming and plays old adventure games and even the original Quake from time to time still.

I would guess the gaming mix on PC's is much closer to 40% women / 60% male. I think this number is dropping though, as touchscreen devices and tablets have made a major home for the types of games that the women in my family play most. From hidden object games my grandmother likes and other pogo type stuff, to the cutesy multiplayer rpg's my mom plays often on her ipad. Since they've had their ipads, I would guess that they game on them over 50% of the time that they used to spend on PC's for gaming in the past. This is pretty huge considering theyve only had the ipads for ~3 years and both are pretty heavy gamers/PC users.

Yeah I misinterpreted that number apparently. Though it's important to remember that steam has around 52 million active users (128 million accounts) (30 million active the past 2 weeks alone). This is a tremendous amount. Most of em are not going to buy many games of course, but if 18% is an actual number and most indy devs already only make 30k sales then.. wow. I knew the market was splintered as hell on Steam, but this would (amongst other things) indicate huge swaths of steam users literally never even TOUCH indy games.

To think some indies are happy just getting 270k or 500k sales... but there are 9 to 30! million potential buyers on steam (actual people buying games and playing them) and many indy games slog around with 10000 owners. So it seems that you have to be careful what audience you target as indy. "Just being on Steam" isn't an automated success. And clones or 8bit seem to be really out

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2015, 21:48.

9. Re: etc., etc. Jun 20, 2015, 21:34 eRe4s3r

But it really makes you wonder how many sales they lost. The stats seem to indicate actual release (not going through EA) brings in more sales and more money (due to higher price).

And for many indy devs, tanking at EA -> Final release means a killed company and a dead game, stranded forever in Early Access with unhappy customers to boot or stranded forever after release...... so yeah ;/

Only 5% even finished D:OS (Since you are in that topic.. hehe) if we take that as indication for a sequel sale then good night D:OS 2 ;(

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Jun 20, 2015, 19:49 eRe4s3r

For me this sale has been great.. I got 6 from selling trading cards and bought.. nothing... .. hehe  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 20, 2015, 16:03 eRe4s3r

NewMaxx wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 15:14:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 13:28:
That would be the end for AMD, only ATI part of AMD is profitable no? How would they even compete against Intel with no profits?

Read my posts on the AMD 300 Series thread. AMD has been sought after by investment groups (Samsung's primarily) for over a year now. The intention has always been to split the groups up (as I suggest in that thread), the CPU division would be ideal for any mobile company that is devising their own ARM-based microprocessors (Samsung). I stated that the buyer would either dissolve the GPU division or more likely spin it off and sell it; AMD is being proactive here. I got a lot of denial from some people in that thread but I was bringing you guys the info first.

I only just now checked your post Man your post was really informative.. I just wanted to thank you for that. No idea how you got that info but you really did have it right, so kudos to you

And to me ARM cpu's would be a nightmare I mean then Intel would completely dominate x86 and that'd be horrible for prices.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 20, 2015, 13:28 eRe4s3r

That would be the end for AMD, only ATI part of AMD is profitable no? How would they even compete against Intel with no profits?

4. Re: etc., etc. Jun 20, 2015, 12:42 eRe4s3r

"Early Access is the launch, treat it this way"

Been saying this for years, and plenty idiot developers ignored it.

For the record, I think this makes developers that make absolutely sure they have a "hit" when they release on early access smarter, but reality is they leave about 70% of possible profits on the table.. wow. And yes, Early Access IS your launch, you will NEVER get steam front page ever again, if you go out of early access you might as well delete your game. There is no transition impact that translates to better sales. And EA games sell substantially less to boot.

Imo this is pivotal information

Also this puts those retarded 50% of gamers are women statistics back to where they belong. 18% of PC gamers are women 82% are men! Something we all knew, and should always remember when a feminist tells us games need to change.

Anyhow.. these statistics were immensely interesting, and are invaluable to future game releases on steam.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2015, 12:48.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 20, 2015, 12:19 eRe4s3r

The argumentation the judge brought forward is a real laugh "You have to prove that the law does not do unjust damage to the media fucktards"

instead of "you (the media fucktards) have to prove that the law does damage"

The UK as it lives and breaths.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 19, 2015, 19:39 eRe4s3r

just like it "absolutely" supports PC gaming?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2015, 12:44 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 10:54:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 10:24:
Season 5 was definitely full of deth... still can't believe they burned her and snow fell.... ;/

Valar Morghulis!

True ^^

Now on to wait for season 6...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2015, 10:24 eRe4s3r

Season 5 was definitely full of deth... still can't believe they burned her and snow fell.... ;/  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 10:20 eRe4s3r

Mechanic Apartheid is exactly the theme of Deus EX though.. so kindly fuck the haters and their sensibilities and do your own thing  

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Jun 19, 2015, 10:16 eRe4s3r

That was the best thing I've seen today ,)  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 19, 2015, 07:02 eRe4s3r

Those leaked AMD benchmarks show that HBM 1.0 Fury X has ALREADY VRAM issues and thus had to disable AF in benchmarks. Just wanted to point that out who benchmarks without AF which is one of the most important IQ settings at 4K?

This is why company benchmarks are always bullshit. But it's obvious that against the 980 TI this is the only way the Fury X is.. and normal FURY nowhere to be seen (likely because it is completely pwned by the 980 and 980 TI)

Sigh.. it seems AMD is not the VR ready GPU to buy in 2016 either...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 19, 2015, 06:45 eRe4s3r

Yeah but ask yourself this, would you run an exe inside your browser? Because that's what it is at the end of the day. And you would basically run untrusted executables from websites without even an option to not run them (a hidden GPU bitcoin miner comes to mind). Not properly sandboxed (in Firefox's case) not properly restricted and not properly regulated. There isn't even a task manager where you could see such tasks (in case of Firefox)

A single nefarious executable blob that breaks out of the weak browser sandboxes and you are pwned so hard you couldn't even recover. Worse, you wouldn't even *notice* , and even if you are security aware, only run Firefox as restricted user, then that still allows the binary blob to scrape your entire history, cookies and browser details, which would be enough to identify you and possibly social engineer for the final push to pwn you.

I agree that Javascript sucks, but a binary executable in a browser would utterly defeat 20+ years of security work, the point of HTML5 and introduce hardcore DRM into the browsers themselves.

So I can't see this as a good thing, specifically with Apple and Google behind it.

8729 Comments. 437 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo