Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 8578 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Jun 20, 2015, 12:42 eRe4s3r

"Early Access is the launch, treat it this way"

Been saying this for years, and plenty idiot developers ignored it.

For the record, I think this makes developers that make absolutely sure they have a "hit" when they release on early access smarter, but reality is they leave about 70% of possible profits on the table.. wow. And yes, Early Access IS your launch, you will NEVER get steam front page ever again, if you go out of early access you might as well delete your game. There is no transition impact that translates to better sales. And EA games sell substantially less to boot.

Imo this is pivotal information

Also this puts those retarded 50% of gamers are women statistics back to where they belong. 18% of PC gamers are women 82% are men! Something we all knew, and should always remember when a feminist tells us games need to change.

Anyhow.. these statistics were immensely interesting, and are invaluable to future game releases on steam.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2015, 12:48.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 20, 2015, 12:19 eRe4s3r

The argumentation the judge brought forward is a real laugh "You have to prove that the law does not do unjust damage to the media fucktards"

instead of "you (the media fucktards) have to prove that the law does damage"

The UK as it lives and breaths.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 19, 2015, 19:39 eRe4s3r

just like it "absolutely" supports PC gaming?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2015, 12:44 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 10:54:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 10:24:
Season 5 was definitely full of deth... still can't believe they burned her and snow fell.... ;/

Valar Morghulis!

True ^^

Now on to wait for season 6...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2015, 10:24 eRe4s3r

Season 5 was definitely full of deth... still can't believe they burned her and snow fell.... ;/  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 10:20 eRe4s3r

Mechanic Apartheid is exactly the theme of Deus EX though.. so kindly fuck the haters and their sensibilities and do your own thing  

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Jun 19, 2015, 10:16 eRe4s3r

That was the best thing I've seen today ,)  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 19, 2015, 07:02 eRe4s3r

Those leaked AMD benchmarks show that HBM 1.0 Fury X has ALREADY VRAM issues and thus had to disable AF in benchmarks. Just wanted to point that out who benchmarks without AF which is one of the most important IQ settings at 4K?

This is why company benchmarks are always bullshit. But it's obvious that against the 980 TI this is the only way the Fury X is.. and normal FURY nowhere to be seen (likely because it is completely pwned by the 980 and 980 TI)

Sigh.. it seems AMD is not the VR ready GPU to buy in 2016 either...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 19, 2015, 06:45 eRe4s3r

Yeah but ask yourself this, would you run an exe inside your browser? Because that's what it is at the end of the day. And you would basically run untrusted executables from websites without even an option to not run them (a hidden GPU bitcoin miner comes to mind). Not properly sandboxed (in Firefox's case) not properly restricted and not properly regulated. There isn't even a task manager where you could see such tasks (in case of Firefox)

A single nefarious executable blob that breaks out of the weak browser sandboxes and you are pwned so hard you couldn't even recover. Worse, you wouldn't even *notice* , and even if you are security aware, only run Firefox as restricted user, then that still allows the binary blob to scrape your entire history, cookies and browser details, which would be enough to identify you and possibly social engineer for the final push to pwn you.

I agree that Javascript sucks, but a binary executable in a browser would utterly defeat 20+ years of security work, the point of HTML5 and introduce hardcore DRM into the browsers themselves.

So I can't see this as a good thing, specifically with Apple and Google behind it.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 19, 2015, 06:22 eRe4s3r

Towyn wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 04:27:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 04:01:
I... honestly wouldn't even know how to react to an AI that tells me it likes me, that is afraid of something or even of me... or that says that it doesn't want to be switched off. Could you explain to an AI that it's not alive? Would it not be alive if it could reasonably argue why it is afraid? For those people having these Aibo robots they sure as hell feel alive enough. And I think for them the death of that machine is the loss of a family member.

You are right, it would become a major philosophical and also ethical issue. This is also one of the few things Deus EX never actually explored, but Ghost in the Shell did/and does.

It's one of the few things about the technology development that I am not extremely hyped for. I want proper AGI, house companion robots that clean stuff, manage household, go shopping... it would improve life immensely. But the ethical issues that'd arise from this...

Ex Machina comes to mind.

It's a scary image... it reflects in so many movies, the basic idea... AI (Spielberg) and Bicentennial Man are nice approaches. The idea of being an AI that is thrown away (AI), discarded... He was not a full, human-like AI, in many cases you noticed his restrictions, I think that was done so very well... but he was human enough that people felt with him. Bicentennial Man, the urge to "be", to become human, to advance and change. I think both movies are wonderful examples...

And where it gets really scary is when you travel back a bit. Simulacron-3 (or it's remake, which was by far not as good, 13th Floor). The basic idea that you find out, as you are developing an AI, that this is all you are as well... that you are an AI, nothing but a program, working in your own confines.

That everything around you is scripted, that you just follow, that you consider yourself alive, but are you?

Let's turn that whole idea of "... or that says that it doesn't want to be switched off." around. What if you find out you are just an AI, running inside a simulation, and one day that is brought up to you... the fact that it's time to just turn you off? No god, no afterlife, no heaven, no virgins, no matter what you believe in... it's not there. You'll cease to exist, the space you occupied recycled, used for the next simulation, or something completely different...

It's one of those things that scare me, and make me want to enjoy every minute I have in life. Because it doesn't matter what you believe in... the 'end' is always scary... just some are more scary than others.

Yeah, but there is also a big chance that with the creation of a true AGI system on an open robotic platform we could explore the depths of human existence for ourselves at your own pace, if we can create an AGI that is indistinguishable from human beings (or from dogs/cats.. you get the idea)... having such a being with you would always remind you that you are human, and that nothing you have or think you are should be taken for granted. That humans have created something that is both alive and.. not.

Btw, the fact that there is NOTHING once I die does not scare me, that is one of the only reasons why I am NOT afraid of death. Oh sure, I am afraid of the act of dieing, but of death itself? The concept? No. But would I still think if an AGI would hold the mirror in front of me and say "every time you shut me off to update my firmware I die" .. I mean wtf would you even say to that, that for me dieing is ultimate, but for the AGI it is just a temporary thing?

Imo even more complicated if the AGI would actually love their master unconditionally, like a dog does. Would you turn your dog off to update it's firmware or replace the ears? Would you discard it because a new version is out? I wouldn't.. I think.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gameplay Video
18. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gameplay Video Jun 19, 2015, 05:21 eRe4s3r

Task wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 21:30:
Hopefully one can still beat the game passively by sneaking around.

They already confirmed that you can finish the game with ZERO kills and the same GHOST system like it was in HR, this was a combat demo to show what they changed related to that.. demoing.. as you would guess, combat only.

And imo it's good that they beefed up combat, in HR it was certainly never a fun option...

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 19, 2015, 04:01 eRe4s3r

Towyn wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 19:49:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 11:54:
And this is why we need an open robotic platform..

I think this opens up a whole set of new questions in regards to AI... What happens if we develop an AI that could be considered advanced enough to be a "person", how do we make sure that it wont, one day, have to be put to rest because it's platform is outdated? It needs to be updated, permanently, like magnetic tapes it would, if not updated, disappear...

In the end, a whole breed of robotic beings ceases to exist soon enough, and there's nothing we can do to bring them back... now Aibos are just very advanced scripts, but how far are they from the guinea pig you had as a child? A hamster is not much different... What happens once our companions reach the intellect of a common, domestic dog or cat? Can we just turn them off?

Philosophy will have a few interesting decades to go through...

It's nearly guaranteed that this change will come about like any other change, blazing fast, completely ignored by the mainstream and politics until it is too late.

Also let's face it, robotic systems that only take parts from 1 company are a dead-end in evolution of that machine. The PC is open because many hardware things can interface with it easily. A robot needs to be the same. All parts (interior/exterior) and basic hardware/software layers need to be open so that anyone can extend or improve upon them. Once a platform exists that is open like that, it would never die. Their users would strife to improve and enhance the platform for their own needs, and this is in turn is the evolution path of a machine. The PC is what it is because every advanced user wants something specific. We build our own rigs with parts supplied and a platform supplied (and drivers/os supplied) so that we have something that fits our needs. Behind it is a giant specification behemoth that maintains interoperability (more or less). This is also why Apple MAC is a dead end. There is no evolution there... It's a throw away platform.

I... honestly wouldn't even know how to react to an AI that tells me it likes me, that is afraid of something or even of me... or that says that it doesn't want to be switched off. Could you explain to an AI that it's not alive? Would it not be alive if it could reasonably argue why it is afraid? For those people having these Aibo robots they sure as hell feel alive enough. And I think for them the death of that machine is the loss of a family member.

You are right, it would become a major philosophical and also ethical issue. This is also one of the few things Deus EX never actually explored, but Ghost in the Shell did/and does.

It's one of the few things about the technology development that I am not extremely hyped for. I want proper AGI, house companion robots that clean stuff, manage household, go shopping... it would improve life immensely. But the ethical issues that'd arise from this...

Ex Machina comes to mind.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Jun 19, 2015, 03:50 eRe4s3r

femgate?  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2015, 18:19 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 17:47:
1badmf wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 17:09:
so the dark lord of mordor is an animal lover. huh.

Who says he loves animals? Maybe he's needlessly cruel doing unnecessary operations and putting completely healthy animals down for a larf. Maybe he's secretly turning them into an orc army to sweep over the land.

I would Kickstart that, just saying...

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2015, 18:09 eRe4s3r

The 390x is also a bit slower than the 980 and 980 TI

We'll see which cards are how good and how expensive soon enough. Release date for Fury is in mid July. And since that's the only variant with air cooling that's the only relevant variant anyway.

News Comments > Evolve Hunting Season 2 Roll Out Starts Next Month
13. Re: Evolve Hunting Season 2 Roll Out Starts Next Month Jun 18, 2015, 17:49 eRe4s3r

Bishi wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 17:34:
http://steamcharts.com/app/273350

Average players online: 600

The average of 60000 and 6 is 600... so that number means very little alone

Steamspy says 44,196 UNIQUE? active players the past 2 weeks.
http://steamspy.com/app/273350

Which seems sort of realistic, considering the average.

Also teaches us, average has to be multiplied by at least 90 to get realistic numbers. (But I have to admit, I am not sure how exactly Steamspy counts player numbers for that..)

Remember none of these tools give 100% accurate information to begin with.

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2015, 18:09.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
23. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 18, 2015, 17:22 eRe4s3r

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 16:18:
I'd say it's just typical Bethesda hyperbole (I'm not a Beth hater... just observing facts) and simply a Captain Obvious statement as well. In a team of their size with so many people developing content for different parts of the game in a huge game world, it is only natural that no one can really have seen everything. They might as well have stated the sky is blue. ORLY?

The sky isn't blue....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro2MmmdARrs

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 18, 2015, 13:29 eRe4s3r

Because flash, java and silverlight wasn't bad enough, another shitty binary blob that will have access to system resources no web api should ever have.

Or better put, fuck WebAssembly and everyone peddling that insecure shit. IF Firefox actually enforces this without option I am going to change browsers...

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2015, 13:34.

News Comments > Evolve Hunting Season 2 Roll Out Starts Next Month
7. Re: Evolve Hunting Season 2 Roll Out Starts Next Month Jun 18, 2015, 12:10 eRe4s3r

If Twitch is any indication this game is dead... we are talking 11 active channels with maybe 1000 viewers  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 18, 2015, 11:54 eRe4s3r

And this is why we need an open robotic platform..  

8578 Comments. 429 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo