Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 7659 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com on RAR vs DRM
2. Re: GOG.com on RAR vs DRM Dec 30, 2014, 11:48 eRe4s3r

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 11:28:
Makes me wonder why they didn't use 7zip instead with it being open source.

Well the installer has to exist anyway, to create path entries, registry etc. I think this is really a non-issue GOG does not support Linux

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
20. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 30, 2014, 05:10 eRe4s3r

D_K_night wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 04:23:
uh huh, so you redid a portion of the G11 circuit board with nothing but wires and duct tape. And you were able to simply eyeball the PCB and see all the traces. Right, sounds like a board from the early 1990's if you can just oh, look at it and see all traces.

"piss easy" so we should be able to hand this to a 10-year girl and order her to figure it out and fix it. Right man. Assuming your story is even true, just reading what you did is just total amateur hour, the way you approached it. Don't quit your day job.

The G11 has LED lights not on the main PCB, but on LED+micro-res only pcb's (3 with 3 LED's, and 1 with 2 LED's) that slide out easily and the cable (which goes around the entire rim of the G11) is a standard 2 or 3 pin power connector like for fans any other pc equipment, and I redid nothing. I threw the old led's, resistors and the entire LED pcb assembly in the trash. 2 LED's or their transistors were broken and there was no way to remove them and replace all others because there is no way to remove micro resistors with normal soldering equipment (not to mention I need other resistors anyway).

I dunno what you think I did, but I literally did the idiot proof "how to solder together a long string of LED lights with cable" which even a 10 year old girl could do. And then I put them where the LED pcb was and ducttaped it to the fiberglass pane that serves as light diffuser and called it a day. Result: White glow G11 for less than 3$

And whatever you may think, that fixed my flickering blue LED's and it was easy and cheap The old PCB assembly where the LED's were on was impossible to salvage with the soldering equipment I have. And I don't spend 200$ on hardware to replace LED's and resistors that barely cost 2$.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
17. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 30, 2014, 03:30 eRe4s3r

Well, I replaced my Logitech G11 LED circuit board and put my own LED build in (white led's with stronger resistors so it isn't nuclear doom bright) had to recreate the entire fucking thing because the 4 circuit boards with LEDs they used had copper layers that instantly vaporized when I tried to remove the old LED welds. So had to create my own "grunge" LED rig with you know.. cables and duct-tape.

I think anyone who knows how to use google could do that though. This kind of stuff is piss easy and you need zero education for it, just calculator, the various electrical conversions and a LED calculator (since with 11 LED's on a 5V usb circuit things can become a bit difficult resistor wise ,p).

So I don't think what the article says is true. But one thing is true, I didn't learn how to weld in school, one of my (older than me) friends showed me how it works.

Ps.: not sure that is called "welding" I dunno the correct English word for it.

News Comments > Talos Principle Punishes Pirates
7. Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 12:25 eRe4s3r

Bradley wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 11:39:
Overon wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 09:33:
The game has to detect that are you are using some pirated software. Why wouldn't people who bypass copy protection bypass this too?

In order to bypass it you have to know it exists. It's easy to know that there is DRM when a game refuses to run, but introduce subtle things like this and the odds are that the people trying to remove the DRM will miss it. If you can introduce enough subtle little checks like this then you've managed to protect your game for just a bit longer.

And all this does is waste dev time, because if pirates gonna pirate, they gonna pirate no matter what.

Don't develop features for pirates, develop features for customers.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 29, 2014, 11:20 eRe4s3r

nin wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 11:13:
garrywong wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 11:00:
Much like DNA, there's a reason why fingerprint evidence is rarely admitted in court.

Where's my Jackie Chan "WTF" jpg?

Be careful it might reflect in your Iris

In that showing with the fingerprints, they had a short demo how to capture the reflection of your phone display in your eye with the.. phone camera (no joke) and thus see your pin as is entered in real-time

The camera resolutions are high enough to make this attack viable on the high-end smartphones. Any security lock on the smart-phone can with this revalation thus be hacked, finger print, pin, gesture. every single phone lock mechanism is insecure.

This entire 30 minute show was extremely impressive. Literally all biometric security is broken, and even your pin can be seen if an trojan app accesses the camera and sees you enter the pin and you are instant-pwned)

The 31C3 is always impressive, and this year is no exception

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 29, 2014, 10:49 eRe4s3r

They can't just hack your fingerprint, they can take a photo of your hand from up to 7m, apply 1 finger to a carrier-material, put it on the object of choice, and connect you to a crime you never committed.

Iris and face detection as well as fingerprint security is entirely broken with this. Even vein detection!

Biometric security is broken...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2014, 01:11 eRe4s3r

Quboid wrote on Dec 28, 2014, 22:00:
Why the hell wouldn't people be angry? That guy is just an obnoxious cock and there is a world of difference between what he's doing and all the other examples he lists. By ignoring all context, what he is doing has nothing to do with the surveillance debate (and as such, neither does my criticism of him).

If you are an ass to an ass, you are the bigger ass.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
7. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 29, 2014, 00:16 eRe4s3r

I am still not sure why anyone cares what NK says

That all you get from there is absurd hilarious nonsense is default.

News Comments > SPINTIRES Developer/Publisher Spat
2. Re: SPINTIRES Developer/Publisher Spat Dec 28, 2014, 20:27 eRe4s3r

HoSpanky wrote on Dec 28, 2014, 19:26:
Well, that's a shame. Hopefully this is just a misunderstanding, it'd suck to see a game die early. I can't get my friends interested in Spintires, it looks like a differnt sort of game to play in multi.

The rumors around this were that for a while now the developer didn't do what the publisher wanted. Not sure what is written in the contract, but I don't think "make free maps and editor" was part of it ;p

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 28, 2014, 02:44 eRe4s3r

Stretching the term "game" very widely here. Elegy for a Dead World is a social writing experiment at best, with 7 pictures included and aside that a few editing tasks you can undertake. But it's not a game. in the same way that someone drawing with "connect the dots" is not a painter or artist.  

News Comments > Eye Occilations and Framerate
7. Re: Eye Occilations and Framerate Dec 26, 2014, 08:34 eRe4s3r

djinn wrote on Dec 26, 2014, 07:37:

Problem here is it may be more like an uncanny valley effect where if the slightest thing is off, the whole illusion comes down.

How it can be that we don't have real science regarding this is beyond me. I mean just thinking of games it becomes a question of "how fast is your tick rate" of the entire simulation behind the graphics, it's not just graphics, every part in that scene, from animation, to sprite particles, to explosions ripping holes in stuff, needs to run at well above 60 fps for the human brain to perceive it as possibly real, assuming we have enough resolution to make the brain believe it is real to begin with. And immersive VR to support that illusion. I wonder what the implications for this are for VR.

Anyway it's obvious there must be something, anyone I know could CLEARLY see the difference between Hobbit 48fps and normal fps. The "dreamy" effect of the footage was gone at 48fps and it looked like dudes running around on a set. It's really hard to describe, but I don't believe that is a question of frame-rate or motion blur alone. If that is really a 2nd uncanny valley then that must be a vastly more complex thing than the uncanny valley for mimic/facial features/body expressions. Which I think we are pretty close to actually crossing. But that 2nd one looks like it won't be easy...

News Comments > CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced
23. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced Dec 25, 2014, 22:14 eRe4s3r

Slashman wrote on Dec 25, 2014, 09:21:
I really want to see what their next game announcement will be like. Out of morbid curiosity.

An space action game alá Starlancer of course, web-based, f2p

Why they never put end-game content in their games is a real gigantic wtf, and basic proof that just because a dev makes popular sandboxes that does not mean they know what they are doing.

And yeah it imo needs repeating but the devs at Egosoft literally cannibalized x3 content from the mod community and sold that as "expansions". The actual behind the scenes engine improvements you can count with your fingers on one hand. Rebirth is just what happens when they have nothing to cannibalize from. Same for X3, by the way.

In the end, Rebirth is exactly that. A big fuck you to old fans of the series, a series that only even existed because FANS modded the base game (x3) up to something quite impressive and with some semblance of an end-game (dynamic Xenon war and faction war if you wanted it).

If X3 had not have any mod-support the studio would be dead by now. Which further showcases how ABSURD Rebirth is. With no option to fly other ships modding is nearly dead. Maybe would have been different if we had flown by default a "big" ship and it'd be like Freelancer, except with a cap-ship and a interesting epic plot.

But.. well yeah. We got Rebirth. It is imo the end of egosoft. They will pander this game until it's dead because they don't want to innovate anymore. And Rebirth made them rich. That's the real sad part about the entire thing...

News Comments > Diablo III Experience Bonus
3. Re: Diablo III Experience Bonus Dec 25, 2014, 22:06 eRe4s3r

Graham wrote on Dec 25, 2014, 20:40:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 25, 2014, 15:43:
Exp bonus... yeah a Legendary drop bonus would have made much more sense, and even been in theme with the Holidays.

Few people are playing right now, waiting for the next patch to drop, with a relatively large shakeup in the legendaries... at the very least, a legendary drop increase now would have led to more Forgotten Souls once the patch hits.

It seriously feels like Blizzard has their B or C team on Diablo 3 at this point.

On the plus side, Grim Dawn seems to be coming along pretty well, and it's moddable even if it doesn't turn out great on release.

*EDIT* Typo.

I guess you're really not accounting for everyone who got it for Christmas. I took a week off for D3 at launch (so many regrets) but I've just picked it up for PS4.

Oddly enough, it's more fun on PS4–at least through D3 classic. The controls are tight. The PC version is more competitive and harder, but lying back in bed and playing on a 106" screen with a controller is a more enjoyable experience right now.

Anyway, this buff is great for people like me - and I think with the recent price drop on PSN there are going to be a lot of us.

Playing while laying in a bed is the fastest way to back and neck pains straight out of hell though.

News Comments > Eye Occilations and Framerate
3. Re: Eye Occilations and Framerate Dec 25, 2014, 22:02 eRe4s3r

bigspender wrote on Dec 25, 2014, 17:18:
well whatever it takes to make 60fps the minimum standard.

Movie frame-rate != game framerate... In a game, animations are interpolated at some fixed framerate, which is partially why they often look fake. If you think about when you ever saw realistic animations in a game you could probably list at best 3 or 4 games where that ever not looked fake.

The real issue here is that while movies you record live are based on reality, as soon as CGI enters the picture that's where the real problems start. Because you can of course render at whatever frame-rate you want and then resample it to movie frame-rate. The problem is nothing you animate will look realistic just because of that animations apparently need a certain fluidity to them to look real. And conversions that happen in movie either make it look shitty or great, nobody ever figured out really what the science behind it is. And if you think about that, then that's really scary.

An extremely interesting field of study. It's also why that 48fps Hobbit thing flopped like a brick falling into water. Just higher FPS does not make a movie better, because to our eyes something that looks "good" at 30fps looks "shit" at 48 or even 60 . There are apparently certain frame rates that create the illusion of reality. Oculus Rift for example says that's at 75 fps. .. but whether that is the frame-rate we really want to make things FEEL real (not just immersive) is the real question.

News Comments > Pardo: Olympics Should Include Esports [Updated]
42. Re: Blizzard: Olympics Should Include Esports Dec 25, 2014, 03:41 eRe4s3r

Flatline wrote on Dec 25, 2014, 02:52:
Slick wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 18:08:

i think that this is exactly the reason that esports are actually a superior global medium for competition. because there IS no physical barrier to entry.

Bullshit. It requires at the very least sight and functioning digits.

You'll never see Stephen Hawking as a top tier Starcraft player.

I think he meant for the *average* person The average person has working digits, can see and hear, and has a reaction capability around 300ms.

If Hawking could control games purely with his mind then he would likely be absolutely dominating ANY game. It'd be cheating

News Comments > CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced
21. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced Dec 25, 2014, 03:28 eRe4s3r

Slashman wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 20:52:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 17:36:
Can you blame Paradox for a dev coding an engine that can't handle the game they are making?

If they don't give the developer adequate time to finish the game and they keep interfering in the dev process, yes I can.

And a dev that implements ideas that literally nobody wants in an turn based 4x (turns taking in excess of 5 minutes)?

You actually think that long turn times was somehow an idea by a developer? Or anyone? What are you smoking?

Well since I was actually involved in modding that game I quickly discovered that that the REAL reason for the insane turn times was Kerberos using an horribly in-efficient actual SQL server in the actual EXE that had zero caching capability. And with no caching you had huge lock-ups every single time any AI did anything to any other AI (which basically meant modifying giant SQL tables, and that shit isn't fast without multi-threading, caching and several other sql optimizations).

In their infinite wisdom Kerberos also decided to calculate every battle like the battles the player sees, that means whether you see it or not, that's where your time gets wasted when 8 AI's get stuck in an infinite battle situation ( can happen )

These 2 things together are why I say that is the fault of the dev. They designed this system and they KNEW it was a retarded idea. How many devs you know that run their game ON an SQL database file dumped on your HDD? SQL is very efficient on servers, but only with prediction and caching (or massive I/O)

And despite a few hardcore people literally NOBODY wanted quick-resolve gone from SOTS. 99% of the late-game is quick-resolve (which in itself is a design flaw of 4x games in general..) and a 4x without that...

I keep hoping that people stop rewarding that kind of behaviour when it repeats itself so often, but I have my doubts.

Well.. you know how people are But as there is no sign of Egosoft seeing the error of their ways I doubt it even becomes relevant. If they don't even HINT at developing X4 you know they really gave up. They have no clue what made x3 good. (Which really, was a game that was easily moddable and thus had way more life than it deserved by itself) Take the community mods (Which means X3 AP and X3 TC) out and you are left with a barren carcass of a game even after years of patching.

I think at some point Egosoft turned from a sandbox developer to a dev that thought they had what it takes to make a real game.

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 2014, 03:42.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Dec 25, 2014, 03:13 eRe4s3r

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 25, 2014, 00:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 18:04:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 11:28:
Possibly the Most Embarrassing GTA V Death Ever…

Mine was a fence incident. Was running away from someone and I went to scale a fence and jumped to early - hit the fence, bounced off, then fell backwards onto the sidewalk, died. wtf.

Remind me to look for a god-mode the moment GTA 5 comes to PC that kind of shit is exactly why I don't like realistic games Hilarious at first, sure, not so hilarious when it happens in a mission...
Unless you get arrested, no death penalty. A few thousand for death, but if you get arrested, they take all ammo.

All ammo, or all weapons? Because I hated that to the bones in GTA 4, it's the primary reason I always preferred Saints Row

News Comments > Christmas Eve Mobilization
5. Re: Amazon Apps Dec 24, 2014, 18:33 eRe4s3r

Jivaro wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 18:04:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 16:32:
Killswitch wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 16:07:
I don't have an Android device at the moment, but wanted to take advantage of some of these free apps in the event that I purchase one in the future. Is there really no way of obtaining these apps without an Android that has the Amazon Appstore installed?

no

Yes. If you browse the sale on your PC or Mac and not through the actual mobile device, any "purchases" you make are simply added to your Amazon account, not actually installed. I just added two Amazon Fire *only* apps to my account despite only owning an Android device. Tomorrow when my wife opens up her new Kindle Fire she will be able to install the apps without going through the buying process because they will already be a part of our joint Amazon account. It's just like when you buy a digital movie or song and watch/listen to it later.

edit: There will be a confirmation window that pops up and tells you that you don't have a compatible device for the software. You just push continue and it adds it to your account.

Ah. I confused the question, sorry ^^ Though he meant whether he can install without Amazon Appstore app. But you need to login with your amazon account in that app on the device you want them on. You can buy them any time you want... serves me right for posting at the breakfast table

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2014, 18:10 eRe4s3r

Capella wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 16:54:
Happy Holidays everyone. Don't forget your fury friends over the Holidays.

Plenty of fury to go around after the Holidays ,) Merry xmas everyone

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Dec 24, 2014, 18:04 eRe4s3r

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 11:28:
Possibly the Most Embarrassing GTA V Death Ever…

Mine was a fence incident. Was running away from someone and I went to scale a fence and jumped to early - hit the fence, bounced off, then fell backwards onto the sidewalk, died. wtf.

Remind me to look for a god-mode the moment GTA 5 comes to PC that kind of shit is exactly why I don't like realistic games Hilarious at first, sure, not so hilarious when it happens in a mission...

7659 Comments. 383 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo