Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 6289 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Expansion & Patch Testing Ending
12. Re: Diablo III Expansion & Patch Testing Ending Feb 24, 2014, 23:39 eRe4s3r

Krovven wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 23:18:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 23:02:
Fion wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 19:57:
Thankfully 2.01 condenses the crafting mats. Lets mats, more stacks, very nice.

And yea, like in a WoW expansion, you'll be replacing most of your gear inside an hour lol.

Considering Itemization was broken, that is good to hear. They removed magic find entirely right?

Not entirely. It's on a few items in the expansion but not many. Cap is going to be 300% again and from what I hear it's going to be very difficult to get even close to that. Legacy gear with MF may become valuable in the expansion, will be interesting to see.

Ah.. and the monster power level replacement they do, does that still add magic find?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Delayed to Spring
15. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Delayed to Spring Feb 24, 2014, 23:19 eRe4s3r

Considering I played the Alpha/Beta and saw the the features it had vs the features it was supposed to have, this news does not surprise me in the slightest.

What some others here said is my view as well, it feels wrong when you play it, but you can't really say what exactly it is. It is a sort of "disconnected" feeling between everything. No reactivity I guess, but it goes deeper than that. IN BG2 I never took dialog lightly, I read it all. In D:OS I have to force myself to read it.

And I just want to note, the biggest features (NPC Schedules/Day Night Cycle) are not in yet. And you'd think this would be the thing needing the most beta testing of all.....

Which is why I think you'll see this game "release" not anytime soon. At least if Larian Studios is smart. Nobody wants to be compared to X Rebirth.... ^^

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2014, 23:30.

News Comments > Diablo III Expansion & Patch Testing Ending
7. Re: Diablo III Expansion & Patch Testing Ending Feb 24, 2014, 23:02 eRe4s3r

Fion wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 19:57:
Thankfully 2.01 condenses the crafting mats. Lets mats, more stacks, very nice.

And yea, like in a WoW expansion, you'll be replacing most of your gear inside an hour lol.

Considering Itemization was broken, that is good to hear. They removed magic find entirely right?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 24, 2014, 21:12 eRe4s3r

I for one, welcome our robot overlords....  

News Comments > THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch
33. Re: THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch Feb 24, 2014, 08:28 eRe4s3r

Umbragen wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 21:07:
Damn, I just bought a new system and I'm already dangerously close to the recommended specs. Did I miss something?

Yeah.. you bought a PC now when you should have waited another year for the next iteration in CPU and GPU technology that would have lasted you 5+ years considering the consoles will probably try to push their dead carcass that far...

News Comments > Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded
30. Re: Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded Feb 22, 2014, 23:51 eRe4s3r

Orogogus wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 12:22:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 10:56:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 03:41:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 18:51:
Can we stop calling Broken Age a game? Something without a fail state is not a game.....

By the way, the same way Wolf Among us is NOT a game, you can not fail (don't believe me? ignore all button inputs in all fight scenes...)

They are interactive stories, but not games.

You don't need an explicit fail state to qualify as a game. If a game presents challenges to the player and completing those challenges is the only way to progress, that is gameplay. Broken Age has puzzles that must be completed in order to progress and therefore qualifies as a game.

The fact that there are some form of challenges in your way of progression does not make them gameplay. A book also has pages you have to flip over to continue.... that is a challenge for some people for sure, but it ain't gameplay. Getting up in the morning (or not) is a challenge state blocking progression......

While it's true that you have to complete said "challenges" you can not FAIL them if you are methodological.... ie, you rub everything on everything exactly once, and in case of apple quest, you'd have to back-track exactly once and NOT rub it on anything you rubbed it on before

And just to be clear, this has no bearing on anything other than semantics for me, but I consider Broken Age and certain other POC's (interactive) Visual Novels and not games. Specifically not in that category are text-adventures, many of which do have actual fail-states and quite many have thousands of them.

Walking Dead from Telltale is a game with actual gameplay.
Wolf Among us is a (interactive) visual novel.

I just think if you call everything a game then your are muddying the definition of what games and gameplay are supposed to be.

Loading and retrying is an action just like rubbing, and it's entirely arbitrary to say that since the game sends you to a death screen then it's something completely different from a game like Monkey Island that just says "Nah" before you can kill yourself. I don't see at all how "open w, push x, rub y on z" is even slightly different from "open w and die, reload, push x, rub y on z". It makes no sense at all. What does the death screen do to prevent you from methodologically trying everything?

Tower of Hanoi: Not a game
Tower of Hanoi that kills you after 30 moves: Game!

Also, I can't really think of a text adventure that's had "thousands" of fail states. Like, dozens would be an enormous number.

A fail state is fundamentally a progression block based on player skill. Tower of Hanoi requires a lot of skill and is clearly a game whether there is a time limit or not. I have no idea where you both got "death screen", did I say that? I said failing, failing is not death (unless that's what the game is about ,p). Failing is a situation where lack of your own skill means you can't progress. And that is what a fail-state is, and that is what a gameplay mechanic is defined by.

If you can solve a puzzle by randomly clicking on the screen is that to you, a skill based challenge? A gameplay mechanic? Gameplay? To me it isn't.

I don't say that this makes something like Broken Age or Wolves among us less fun. I am just saying they are not games with gameplay (mechanics) that require your own skill to pass.

29. Re: Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded Feb 22, 2014, 23:42 eRe4s3r

Jerykk wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 18:09:
While it's true that you have to complete said "challenges" you can not FAIL them if you are methodological.... ie, you rub everything on everything exactly once, and in case of apple quest, you'd have to back-track exactly once and NOT rub it on anything you rubbed it on before

So you're essentially saying that if you can use trial-and-error to overcome a challenge, it doesn't qualify as gameplay? How is that any different from fighting a boss and dying repeatedly, only to eventually defeat him after learning his attack patterns and weaknesses? It's still trial-and-error.

The focus on death as the defining feature of gameplay seems incredibly silly to me. Not all games need to revolve around combat or life-threatening situations. Your distinction between The Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us is particularly absurd, given that gameplay is almost exactly the same between them and the only difference is that you can die in TWD if you fail a QTE (which also happens to be one of the worst gameplay mechanics of modern times). And even if you do die, the game just reloads and has you try the QTE again, effectively removing any real penalty to death.

A fail-state isn't a death screen. It's a situation where you have to employ some kind of player skill to solve a challenge and failing to have that skill means reload/retry or most fundamentally a progression block. And hitting timed keys when they appear on-screen is a skill, even if it's retarded gameplay on the absolute dumbest and lowest level. But rubbing items on everything (without a time-limit anywhere) isn't a skill and takes none (which is probably why it was designed that way, so that the dumbed down masses can play Broken Age and not get stuck).

I agree with you that death does not have to be a defining element, that would be silly. But I have no idea why you inferred that from my post to begin with. I just want to be challenged while playing games. Broken Age provides no such thing. I suck majorly at hard POC's, I was stuck for weeks on the 2nd Simon the Sorcerer for example, mainly because you had to execute certain (very absurd!) actions in a timed scene but solving that puzzle was the most fun I ever had in a game up to then. That's not saying that it was a good POC, but it was a great game.

Broken Age does have great visuals, atmosphere and dialog, but it has absolutely 0 challenging gameplay. Maybe I am being very nitpicky, but it's just how I see it. I see games, much like TB, as a collection of mechanics surrounded by story and graphics. You can have the best story ever and the best graphics ever but that does make you a game. Games, are defined by gameplay elements that require skill.

And while you can argue whether QTE's require any skill, clearly they do require some. Especially if the timing is short and the keys randomized. Bad gameplay, but still gameplay, and clearly a challenge to the player that requires skill. And this is why I draw a line between these 2 tell-tale games. Progression in Walking Dead requires player skill. Progression in Wolves Among us does not.

News Comments > Editorial on Kickstarter Communication
21. Re: Editorial on Kickstarter Communication Feb 22, 2014, 23:08 eRe4s3r

Caleb wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 14:17:
Fair enough. That sounds more like 1 or 2 mistakes, though, not 31.

You are apparently forgetting that the only reason you see part 2 ever being made is because NON BACKERS bought the game... so blue is correct that it is a mistake to continue posting backer only updates. And that means 31 mistakes, + 1 for wasting 3.5m and not actually making what was promised. And +1 for giving new customers the middle finger by still not talking to the ACTUAL CUSTOMERS.

His facebook page has last update in 2012 , he doesn't respond to factual posts on the public forums either.

Basically, Tim Schafer and Double fine as such, hide behind locked forums. So we customers of Broken Age get fucked while Backers, who did NOT fund part 2, get everything.

Yeah, that inspires love and harmony in me all right... .. not.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2014, 11:05 eRe4s3r

Buying new furniture..... sigh, wish I had no plans this weekend.  

25. Re: Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded Feb 22, 2014, 10:56 eRe4s3r

Jerykk wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 03:41:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 18:51:
Can we stop calling Broken Age a game? Something without a fail state is not a game.....

By the way, the same way Wolf Among us is NOT a game, you can not fail (don't believe me? ignore all button inputs in all fight scenes...)

You don't need an explicit fail state to qualify as a game. If a game presents challenges to the player and completing those challenges is the only way to progress, that is gameplay. Broken Age has puzzles that must be completed in order to progress and therefore qualifies as a game.

The fact that there are some form of challenges in your way of progression does not make them gameplay. A book also has pages you have to flip over to continue.... that is a challenge for some people for sure, but it ain't gameplay. Getting up in the morning (or not) is a challenge state blocking progression......

And just to be clear, this has no bearing on anything other than semantics for me, but I consider Broken Age and certain other POC's (interactive) Visual Novels and not games. Specifically not in that category are text-adventures, many of which do have actual fail-states and quite many have thousands of them.

Walking Dead from Telltale is a game with actual gameplay.
Wolf Among us is a (interactive) visual novel.

I just think if you call everything a game then your are muddying the definition of what games and gameplay are supposed to be.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2014, 18:56 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 08:21:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 23:59:
Olympia was the only reason I didn't go insane with blues comments being down..... just saying...
Olympia? You mean the Winter Olympics?

German word for that ;p yeah

21. Re: Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded Feb 21, 2014, 18:51 eRe4s3r

News Comments > Men of War: Assault Squad 2 Early Access
8. Re: Men of War: Assault Squad 2 Early Access Feb 21, 2014, 16:33 eRe4s3r

KilrathiAce wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 11:26:
It was flagged because that person have been on a mission to get revenge for certain bans in mowas 1 and also global chat ban in as2 group.

And this has what to do with the review? It's not offensive or hating, it's listen legitimate issues. Developers can't just flag negative reviews willy nilly because of the poster who wrote it. That stinks of unprofessional behavior... especially since the community fixes the problem anyway. Had they not flagged it I'd never have read it...

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 21, 2014, 05:26 eRe4s3r

DangerDog wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 20:40:
Oh, how could you resist trolling that design contest.

A big ol "Battlefield 4 has stopped working" dialog box aught to do it.

"Your submission must be 100% your own. No existing game assets, screenshots, logos, icons, photo sampling, etc. are allowed."

Also that dialog box hasn't ever appeared for me in 150hrs ,p

News Comments > Men of War: Assault Squad 2 Early Access
5. Re: Men of War: Assault Squad 2 Early Access Feb 21, 2014, 04:06 eRe4s3r

Looking at reviews I just want to point out that the ONLY negative review was flagged as abusive.. despite it not actually being abusive.... professional indeed...  

37. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2014, 23:59 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 17:02:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 06:44:
yonder wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 03:47:
I cried the whole time BN was down, including the time that only the comments were down. Then I got paranoid when I forgot Steam's weekly maintenance downtime, I thought there was a major DDOS going on.

Blues down + Steam down = No reason to live.

Girls?
Pizza?
Girls who eat pizza?
Girls who BRING pizza?
Games?
The Dutch winning 21 out of 30 speed skating medals?

I mean, come ON! There's PLENTY of reasons!

Olympia was the only reason I didn't go insane with blues comments being down..... just saying...

News Comments > Another Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Gameplay Clip
15. Re: Another Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Gameplay Clip Feb 20, 2014, 23:56 eRe4s3r

Krovven wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 23:03:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 15:27:
The funny thing is, people playing right now (as in, before patch 2.0) are just wasting their time but yeah... Diablo 3 is Diablo 3... it isn't a bad game, it's just before the patch and expansion, there is no point playing it.

How exactly are they wasting their time?

Because for most players Diablo 3 is about the LOOT ^^ At least it is for me... and the loot sucks because Itemization sucks.

Ps.: Yes on that I agree, Necro in Diablo 2 is a completely gimped class ^^ There are mods that fix it though by giving Necro mana based summons that have stat dependency and interlinks with normal summons. So you add points in 1 and it boost the other. Forgot the name of the mod though... ;p

News Comments > Evening Patches
3. Re: Evening Patches Feb 20, 2014, 21:12 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 18:02:
Any of you Rome II people in on this new Hegemony Rome yet? You likin it? Lookin' forward to it?

Its currently still extremely buggy

News Comments > Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims
62. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 16:16 eRe4s3r

1badmf wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 10:28:
yeah this game doesn't really tickle my stompy robot fetish like OG mechwarrior does. shogo/hawken/virtual on always felt like... just, dudes fighting. never had the weight of giant mechanized combat.

Believe me, that's what everyone who liked Mechwarrior back in the day feels...

Titanfall feels like you are just a bigger fatter dude walking around with slightly bigger pew-pew guns... and Titans bump into every small geometry element. It feels broken, as if Titans were an afterthought.

News Comments > Another Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Gameplay Clip
5. Re: Another Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Gameplay Clip Feb 20, 2014, 15:27 eRe4s3r

descender wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 14:21:
Current player count on steam:
Path of Exile - 3318 (supposedly half of the player base uses steam, so let's give PoE 7k players... because why not)
Torchlight II - 902

Current estimated diablo 3 player count:
Diablo 3 - ~50000, possibly way more

Which game was it that no one cared about?

Diablo doesn't have a real online count, but you can infer it from the number of the general chat it sticks you in. There are also 735 public games to join (containing somewhere between 735 and 2940 players), but most of the games played are not public.

The funny thing is, people playing right now (as in, before patch 2.0) are just wasting their time but yeah... Diablo 3 is Diablo 3... it isn't a bad game, it's just before the patch and expansion, there is no point playing it.

6289 Comments. 315 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo