Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 8589 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Jun 24, 2015, 00:18 eRe4s3r

Brumbek wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 13:01:
I totally forgot about that! Thanks for the reminder. I really like how Valve does unique/fun stuff, even if some of their experiments go a bit awry.

Yeah they did some pretty crazy stuff... And that Potato thing was really their hands down most fancy event. Nothing after topped that

http://steamtreasurehunt.wikia.com/wiki/Potato_Fools_Day_ARG

(Ah, so it was 13 games and 36 achievements ,p) And getting some of those was a MAJOR pain. Specifically this one -> "Simply have Razer hardware." which actually required you to get some razer.dll injection thing someone coded while the event ran that made the game think you had Razer hardware.. haha

I wear the golden potato badge with pride ^^ The sales in 2011/2012 were generally pretty damn awesome, summer camp and xmas related events all had other achievement hunts too. Played tons of games I had in backlog due to this. ^^

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2015, 00:27.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Interviews
10. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 23, 2015, 21:55 eRe4s3r

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 21:36:
Squirmer wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 21:20:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 20:54:
Which tells me he as absolutely no clue about anyone younger than 40 or the fact that nobody gives a shit how they look when they sit half-naked in front of their high-end gaming altar.. VR or not, doesn't exactly change a damn thing and how you look matters absolutely nothing when you are half-naked because your gaming rig is making the room hot as shit ;p
Half-naked people sitting in front of their "gaming rig" make up an extremely small proportion of the population. If those are the people who are supposed to be driving VR, Spector's point seems even more valid.

Naah bro they're just sitting naked so they can feel the heat lamps they setup for proper sun simulation when they step outside in VR.

Imagine an array with heat lamps and fans and such to simulate sunshine/heat and air movement/wind in VR. A VR setup with war thunder I saw recently in an article made me think of this. They had a mounted fan they would turn on when players were flying in one of the open-cockpit planes. Small touch but adds a good deal of immersion.. but imagine that with a software api to integrate such functions into a simulation game with variable levels automatically adjusted by the game in realtime. So many new interactive experiences will be possible soon, it's really exciting.

Exactly The point is not how people look or if they shut themselves off, the point is that with VR they will be able to experience things they might otherwise not want to expose themselves to in the real world. Or that are too expensive to experience (I hear that VR demo space/game/sim where you exit from a space-station to do an EVA is absolutely mind-blowing). Or flat out too dangerous (being in a car chase, ww2 tank or fighter or submarine etc...)

VR creates entirely new media possibilities and how you look is completely irrelevant in that respect. Warren even sort of admits he never even tried *any* VR. (even Hololens is impressive as it is, a full immeressive tracked 3D object in real world via goggles creates entirely new possibilities, including primarily, virtual pets)

News Comments > Batman Arkham Knight Release Announcement
25. Re: Batman Arkham Knight Release Announcement Jun 23, 2015, 21:00 eRe4s3r

If it was a great memorable game chances are in 2 years if you start a topic, someone will want to talk about it

People still have in-depth talks about Baldurs Gate 2 after all. And sometimes on RPG forums you have people trailing off into this or that detail that was in BG2...

So you can be social even with those games after X years

News Comments > Evening Interviews
6. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 23, 2015, 20:54 eRe4s3r

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 20:32:
How many times do you worry about looking stupid when playing games on your PC? I just don't think that point has much weight to it.

Warren nailed it though with his endorsement of Cuphead as being a standout from E3. I think the game looks fantastic.

Actually what he says is this

I don't think most humans want to look stupid (everyone looks stupid in a VR headset) and they don't want to isolate themselves from the world

Which tells me he as absolutely no clue about anyone younger than 40 or the fact that nobody gives a shit how they look when they sit half-naked in front of their high-end gaming altar.. VR or not, doesn't exactly change a damn thing and how you look matters absolutely nothing when you are half-naked because your gaming rig is making the room hot as shit ;p

Fact is tons of people want to isolate themselves from the world (50% of world population are introverted). In the western world that is a reason nobody wants to have children anymore. So yeah

He's a great game designer and his game of choice looks really interesting, but he should probably not ever become involved in anything that involves reality. ^^

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Issues
33. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Issues Jun 23, 2015, 19:18 eRe4s3r

Kosumo wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 17:46:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 17:08:
Edit: wow.. 5 typos in that post.. I need coffee

Have you been working on PC ports for WB again?

Hah, If I had been working on that game the leather outfits would be a lot less constraining, there'd be Japanese school girls and it'd be a PC exclusive release with japanese voice option.. and lots of poison ivy and cat women, and a lot less of Batman

So you probably should be very glad I was not involved heh

News Comments > Dreamfall Chapters: Book Three Thursday
1. Re: Dreamfall Chapters: Book Three Thursday Jun 23, 2015, 19:13 eRe4s3r

I really wonder how they can sustain themselves with these episodic releases... following speamspy I see 70k owners of the game... which remained largely steady since release of episode 2.. so basically no income since then (or at best 10k sales.. and even then, how can they pay the bills?)

Considering an episode release doesn't get you steam front page or listed under new releases I think episodic releases are economical suicide....

That said, I hope I live to see the conclusion of this, because the story is interesting

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Issues
31. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Issues Jun 23, 2015, 17:08 eRe4s3r

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 09:32:
Steam Refunds system, ACTIVATE!

That WB even dares trying this with yet another shitty port is hilarious... with Steam Refunds I'd wager this game will have a ton less owners come the next steamspy scrape ;p

Edit: wow.. 5 typos in that post.. I need coffee

News Comments > Batman Arkham Knight Release Announcement
5. Re: Batman Arkham Knight Release Announcement Jun 23, 2015, 12:02 eRe4s3r

The worst rated AAA title on steam currently  

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jun 23, 2015, 09:48 eRe4s3r

Steam already did something like this once, it was called the "potato bag" and involved 30 something games where you had to reach a specific achievement (all those games were on heavy sale too). Anyone who got all games got a golden potato badge and the entire valve back catalog for free. Steam did this again later on during some xmas event, with winter themed achievements but with a lot less to gain if you got them all (a badge and a few cards was all).

Source: I got this badge and the valve back catalog, but this was ages ago

All ye need to do is give some small incentive for people to actually play games. With the perfectionists being able to strife for something grand. The golden potato badge is one of the rarest badges on Steam ;p which is good for ego.

Anyhow, Steam should imo not care for people who buy games but don't play them. That's like the best thing that can happen to Steam...

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 22, 2015, 19:46 eRe4s3r

edaciousx wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 17:23:
nice job uber, now everyone who wants to call an uber and rob them can do so without worry.

might as well have had a PR statement saying: Hey, uber is now thief friendly!

How would you suggest a thief robs a cab service that does digital payments?

News Comments > AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced
55. Re: AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced Jun 22, 2015, 19:41 eRe4s3r

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 15:38:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 14:59:
Drayth wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 23:53:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 20:45:
Those cards with 8GB on board - I wonder if they would help Skyrim cope with using a lot of texture mods at normal playable resolutions (not 4k).

Unfortunately Skyrim has a 4gig software limit. The game just doesn't make use of anything above that limit no matter what your card has.

Oh. I thought one of the patches undid that.

I believe the patch you're referring to was to allow the executable to take advantage of 64 bit addressing space and greater than 4gb of (non-gpu) system ram. Hadn't heard about the GPU ram limitations in that engine before.

The only thing that patch does is turn the LAA flag to "True", which allows 64bit OS to virtualize ram so that the application can theorethically use 3.99GB before crashing instead of 2/3GB and the VRAM can be allocated to 3.99GB as well but nothing you ever do will make a d3d9 game use more than 4GB VRAM (or a 32bit application use more than 3.99GB of RAM)... because D3D9 can not address more than 4GB VRAM. (And neither can the application)

So 8GB Vram on a d3d9 game (even if the game had a 64bit exe) -> max used 4GB Vram

News Comments > Out of the Blue
40. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2015, 18:53 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 16:35:
Here's to us all being here 20 years from now. Fingerscrossed

Aye.

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: etc. Jun 22, 2015, 15:40 eRe4s3r

Btw, you are not confused. This is the first steam sale in history where there wasn't a (less insane, but still notable) sale rebate on every item on steam older than a certain amount of time. Usually it only excluded recent AAA titles, but I have seriously seen games not rebated at all that were 2+ years old... wtf?

Generally speaking this was the weakest steam sale I can remember and TONS of games didn't take part at all, and some "publisher" compilation packs were also no longer found anywhere....

News Comments > Project CARS 2 Announced
7. Re: Project CARS 2 Announced Jun 22, 2015, 15:24 eRe4s3r

I find this particularly abhorrent because to this day Slightly Mad hasn't even fixed the Time Trial Leaderboard to obey to and require adherence to STANDARD FIA RULES (You know, those rules all racing classes, even bikes, obey to?!) (all wheels outside of white line = dirty lap) if you'd enforce this, 99% of the times on Time Trial leaderboards would be gone. And most racers would rank last, as only clean claps and overtakes without cutting would count. Anything else would get you penalties.

I agree what someone else said, for races end to end this game is great but it has severe restricted map choice there, no proper "downhill" map either. But for actual real racing, this game is a joke. It doesn't even understand the concept of corner cutting vs leaving track vs accidentally leaving limits (not the same in FIA rules) it doesn't understand overtake on corner cut rule, it doesn't obey blue flags and yellow flags, it doesn't have a steward system. And most maps are state 2013

The entire thing just makes me sad. This game needs updates, it doesn't need a sequel.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2015, 15:06 eRe4s3r

Blue wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 13:21:
nin wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 13:18:
Ok, if you keep whacking the "older news" link you go back to July 31st, 1996?

https://web.archive.org/web/19970204065233/http://bluesnews.com/q-july.html

edit: Well, I tried....

And I appreciate it. But yeah, as I said, that's too late to help us. It just reflects what is still posted here from the time:

http://www.bluesnews.com/archives/july96.html

You should pick one for historical reasons then. Whenever you registered the domain would be easiest I guess, and if you do then 20 year anniversary would be in 2016. Ought to be cause for celebrations

News Comments > Project CARS 2 Announced
2. Re: Project CARS 2 Announced Jun 22, 2015, 15:00 eRe4s3r

Apparently others are mad too, because WMD is down

Also this is kinda hilarious considering the bare-bones state of Project Cars (I had ranted about it before, no point repeating that).

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 22, 2015, 12:25 eRe4s3r

Is it really hacking when you have NO IT security?

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2015, 12:23 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 11:54:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 10:33:
Do you guys here still have a wallet with paper money? All I can find in mine (in terms of money) is 7 2€ coins, 3 1€ coins, and a EC card +.+

Haven't actually needed paper money in quite a while.

Yeah, I've always been a cash only guy for the most part. Comes from being in hospitality however and always having cash on hand. I never use debit - except if I actually need cash from a machine which is rare. And I generally only use my CC for online purchases and groceries and gas as I get points on them and it makes the spending easier to track. I'm the sort of guy who feels naked if I don't have a $100 in my pocket.

Interesting Though EC cards are different from credit cards in the sense that you pay with existing money. So to me it's (nearly) the same as paper money. Difference is that some stores have a minimum for EC payment

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2015, 10:33 eRe4s3r

Do you guys here still have a wallet with paper money? All I can find in mine (in terms of money) is 7 2€ coins, 3 1€ coins, and a EC card +.+

Haven't actually needed paper money in quite a while.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2015, 10:00 eRe4s3r

Anyone who buys your game on sale is an EXTRA customer you never had!

It's amazing that articles like that are still a thing by developers, after SteamSpy demystified the entire steam sale and pricing structure. Your sales depend on 1) How unique your game is on the store 2) How many other games like it there are and 3) It not being 8bit or retro clones and 4) it not being broken on release and unfun to play.

Sales 4 months later only interest those people who already had a backlog to begin with and thus would never ever have bought your game full price!

A gamer with no backlog would never wait 4 months to play a game he or she wants to play RIGHT NOW.

8589 Comments. 430 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo