Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 6825 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Interviews
5. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 25, 2014, 20:14 eRe4s3r

LittleMe wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 19:06:
Nah F2P can be done right and the market is slowly choosing the better models that we like. Romero is right about that. It's evolving. There are publishers and developers want to give us what we want.

There are VERY few "done right" f2p games.... vs a billion shitty mobile games (and some pc games too ,p) that all cost either miniscule or nothing, and yet are filled with timers, grind, and constant nag-screens (or advertisement)

I mean I get where you come from, HS and DOTA2 and what not are f2p games done right, but these are few and far between no?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 25, 2014, 17:40 eRe4s3r

Free to play is everything that's wrong with the industry.. so very fitting Romero talks about that as the future of PC gaming  

News Comments > On SaleOn Sale

3. Re: On SaleOn Sale</p> Jul 25, 2014, 17:36 eRe4s3r

Fion wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 17:15:

Speaking of which I'm still *sniff* kinda broken up about S2e4 Walking Dead. I'm fearful my decisions will lead to even more :/

Yeah.. that last scene was pretty damn .. wow... first time in a while a story forced me to just walk away for a minute and think about what the fuck I just saw and.. in some way.. caused to happen.

Pretty much every decision in this episode hurt

News Comments > On SaleOn Sale

1. Re: On SaleOn Sale</p> Jul 25, 2014, 16:39 eRe4s3r

So where is Broken Age act 2 again?  

News Comments > Screencheat Embraces Screencheating
6. Re: Screencheat Embraces Screencheating Jul 25, 2014, 10:25 eRe4s3r

wtf_man wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 09:55:
I think a much more interesting twist on this would be:

Everyone Invisible
Can see the weapon fire
Stuff in the environment easily disturbed (has movement as you walk by)

No real need for "screen cheating"... just watch the environment / other's gun fire and take pot shots. If you hit they become bloody visible just before they die or explode or whatever.

Problem with that is that everyone would camp...

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 24, 2014, 22:28 eRe4s3r

Longswd wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 20:40:
dj LiTh wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 19:11:
Longswd wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 15:48:
Data is data, even if it's a container. Anything capable of backing up only delta changes in a SQL db should also be able to backup a Truecrypt volume.

Its pretty clear you dont understand how encryption works, and if it did work like you suggest then it would be easily defeated.

Uhm, yeah? No.

www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-ways-to-securely-encrypt-your-files-in-the-cloud/

The relevant portion:

"Why Dropbox? Good question. Dropbox can synchronize only the changed portions of large files, while Google Drive and SkyDrive can only synchronize entire files (as far as I can tell). This means that, if you have a 2GB TrueCrypt drive and change a small file in it, Dropbox will upload a small portion of the TrueCrypt file, while Google Drive and SkyDrive will re-upload the entire 2GB file. Some other cloud storage services may also offer delta uploads – be sure you choose one that does if you’re using a TrueCrypt volume."

Given that truecrypt likely does the "lazy" approach of container (ie, it's a bunch of self-contained parts like torrent protocol does it) delta change syncs are secure... assuming the sync tool is advanced enough, detecting which hashed part of a file changed is easy and sending that over and merging it is as well.

So sorry, DJ Lilith but Longswd is right, delta syncing of truecrypt volume is possible, and secure.

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 24, 2014, 10:53 eRe4s3r

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 10:11:
I will never understand why people who are concerned about privacy don't user services like Spideroak instead of Dropbox.

As soon as you mention "security costs money" most people shut their brains off. Services like dropbox exist and finance themselves from the data mining they do. And ease of use plays into the hands of security issues as well.... most people are too lazy to use a password manager, or a usb-keystorage device to encrypt data. And as soon as you mention "it might cost money" ... there goes security out of the window.

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 24, 2014, 09:22 eRe4s3r

So basically dropbox advises you not to use dropbox if you care about who reads your stuff... that they have data encrypted on their servers is a flat out lie, every single dropbox employee can see and read your files. If they encrypted the data, they can decrypt it.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Machines At War 3
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Machines At War 3 Jul 24, 2014, 09:18 eRe4s3r

demo here
http://www.isotope244.com/files/Machines-at-War-3-Windows.exe

;p

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 20:17 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 19:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 19:51:
No no, evil blues, stop posting clickbait you know we can't resist clicking it! Or call the section click-bait? Hey... there is an idea

Not sure if article was serious or not, but I read at as an "sarcastic take" because... well duh, PC gamers are never wrong about ANYTHING. ^^

I don't think there's a site out there these days that DOESN'T have clickbait titles. Even formerly respectable sites like Wired and Ars do it these days.

Also, we PC gamers ARE never wrong about anything. I thought I was once, but I was mistaken.

Clearly you were not mistaken, you were just confused by nebulous effects to the mind. Because if you had been mistaken you clearly couldn't be a PC Gamer, because PC Gamers are never wrong So nothing they do can possibly be a personal mistake...

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 19:51 eRe4s3r

No no, evil blues, stop posting clickbait you know we can't resist clicking it! Or call the section click-bait? Hey... there is an idea

Not sure if article was serious or not, but I read at as an "sarcastic take" because... well duh, PC gamers are never wrong about ANYTHING. ^^

News Comments > Merry Naxxramas
24. Re: Merry Naxxramas Jul 23, 2014, 19:46 eRe4s3r

Keilun wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 17:12:
Sorry yeah I know what Dredge is. I just thought all the hate was reserved for land destruction decks. But I did get my fair share of hate from blue control decks too. I didn't mind dredge decks too much. But maybe that's because when they were popular I had lots of graveyard removal/exile combos to counter them.

I think maybe MTG seems less RNG dependent because there are so many different strategies to go with. But I've had my fair share of MTG games where I had zero land in all 6 mulligans. Really going past 2-3 mulligans and you might as well forfeit anyway. I more or less equate that to the RNG of getting all big fatties in your Hearthstone hand or cards that you don't necessarily want to play in your first 3 turns. I'm sure the smaller HS deck/hand size contribute to RNG feeling. I did love making giant decks in MTG though for the added surprise in every game (kind of like singleton decks, but with extra variance). I can only hope Hearthstone looks at adding new game modes along those lines.

The land thing was always one of these things house rules fixed where I played back then.. heh, that's probably now more than 5 years ago... but we never enforced the mulligan rules of tournament. you could reroll all cards with no restrictions if you didn't roll a land or gate, or whatever But only until you had a land. (so yeah, we forced you to start with a deck made of only land if you had THAT kind of luck ,p) Seen that too.. heh

I don't really know why, but in Hearthstone with the low combination counts that a class gives you, you end up feeling like you don't ever really have control or a fully working strategy. I always lack 2 or 3 cards to really build a good synergetic deck (and I don't mean a hunter-wild-animals zoo or warlock murlock of doom). And most of the time my counters to things are only ever turning up in situations where I don't need them (probably because there are so few friggin counters to anything in HS, secrets are such a thing.. argh!) Only 1 counter in HS against secrets or shrouded creatures.. that is just.. nonsense..

This is why every year I hope MTG comes out with a PROPER game for PC where the battles don't feel so archaic and unepic (yes.. it's just cards doing damage numbers to other cards, but HS at least gets *that* right) attacks feel heavy, and spells look cool.

22. Re: Merry Naxxramas Jul 23, 2014, 15:56 eRe4s3r

Keilun wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 15:09:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 12:29:
Oh? And Dredge decks don't make you feel bad?

I thought that title was reserved for land removal decks. I was chewed out enough on MTGO when I ran those puppies. So much hate. And yes I'm a horrible person.

Hehe Nothing wrong with using strategies that work.. but for me card games hinge between "AAAARGH" and "WEE" and I am often very close to just saying "UNINSTALL" on hearthstone and forgetting I ever had it. It can be absolutely infuriating..

Btw,
Dredge decks is name for graveyard based decks, with dredge cards you put cards into graveyard while casting them (which have effects while IN your graveyard!), then you resurrect with specific cards monsters and basically you play your entire game out of the graveyard + whatever you use to get cards monsters and spells into and out of your graveyard.

Obviously Hearthstone doesn't have graveyard and exile mechanics So there is one cause of aggravation less. But I always felt MTG was less RNG dependent... Hearthstone really pushes it...

Btw... if there is one thing I really really hate about MTG, it's dredge mechanics, in case I wasn't clear.. stuff in graveyard should not have effects ~.~

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 15:15 eRe4s3r

Julio wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 11:04:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 09:18:
Let me just say, I've worked in female dominated industries that includes medium and heavy manufacturing where women are mainly harness assemblers; and men do receive the same type of harassment.

Exactly, I work at a female dominated place, and there's plenty of harassment and discrimination against men. It would be nice if people could just treat everyone the same, but it's not likely.

This so much... women who think they are unique peaches (with their problems ,p) may really be that in their specific industry.. but by the gods, you walk out of the games industry into any female dominated industry (in a public position) and you are constantly harassed too.

The thing is, men don't talk about it.

And no, this does not mean I do not see that as a problem, but what do these women expect us to do? The way this entire debate goes ostracizes men as a whole and this is why the entire debate leads to even HARSHER backlash.

That Internet toxicity is increasing is also false. There are just communities that are extremely toxic (youtube and any MOBA comes to mind...) and women get hit by that more because the same kind of retards that are toxic against noobs are often also toxic against women specifically.

I really think there is some truth that criticism by females is somehow processed in a different part of the brain in a male, and that this part in the brain makes males instantly feel attacked.. wonder if I am the same in that regard. But if you try to fight nature as your agenda you are on a losing track if there ever was one...!

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2014, 15:26.

20. Re: Merry Naxxramas Jul 23, 2014, 12:29 eRe4s3r

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 10:49:
I will say, I've never played a CCG that has caused me so much rage when losing a game due to random luck. Not even playing against Blue control decks in Magic and people that play Blue control are horrible people and should feel bad.

Oh? And Dredge decks don't make you feel bad?

19. Re: Merry Naxxramas Jul 23, 2014, 12:26 eRe4s3r

Keilun wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 10:20:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 07:59:
Your strategy is based on pure random luck... I tried it, turn 1 she draws rush 2/3 and +1+1 for each death rattle, turn 2 she has combined attack power of 8, far beyond anything you can actually draw on the deck on turn 2. And other variations have been 3 of the guys that give her 3+ attack by turn 4.. yeah! Hero with 9 attack...

Yeah you probably need some luck here. If her hero power wiped my board after turn 2, it's over. Otherwise the strategy was just to build a snowballing minion to take care of everything and clear your hand asap.

It was the only way I could find a way to match her giant characters. By the end my berserker was something like 17-10. She would immediately wipe any other characters off my board. I was relieved that it only took me 2 tries. You absolutely must clear her worshippers. In one game she put out 4 of them in a row. That was gg. Those guys are worse than her hero power.

I'm sure someone will come up with a more consistent way of beating her. I didn't require too many tweaks from my standard warrior rush deck, since it worked on my 2nd try. I'd imagine I would be removing things the 3 and 4 drops for 1/2 drops for some hand clearing consistency.

A zoolock deck might work better with all the discard drops you can put in there.

[Edit]: Found this discussion on the HS forums that seems to have found some consistency with a decklist:

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/13507081260

Some of the posts there also won using similar snowball a minion strategy (with priest/druid/warrior). Seems the AI's not good at handling them. But they all admit some luck involved.

Thanks Yeah I think I turned some hairs grey today when I tried this.. argh... I guess my particular deck strategies just don't work on such an insane stacked deck ;p My warlock deck is otherwise wiping floors with the bosses, but this one gal is so annyoing.. all my strategies are based on control, and you really need to snowball a minion to kill her... grml.. or maybe a lot of luck as mage with your draws.

14. Re: Merry Naxxramas Jul 23, 2014, 07:59 eRe4s3r

Keilun wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 04:41:

For Faerlina:

This one was probably the hardest matchup for me. I used a Warrior rush deck here. The key was to use low mana cost and empty your hand, same as when fighting her normal mode. Similarly, she didn't have anything in the way of creature removal short of her hero power. This one required a bit of luck in the draw, but I basically laid down the enrage creatures: amani berserker, raging worgen, frothing berserker (along with cruel taskmaster). Rampage helped a lot too since a lot of your minions will be damaged from her hero power. In my case I was lucky enough to not have my board cleared by the first hero power and I could then stack rampage on my berserkers.

Your strategy is based on pure random luck... I tried it, turn 1 she draws rush 2/3 and +1+1 for each death rattle, turn 2 she has combined attack power of 8, far beyond anything you can actually draw on the deck on turn 2. And other variations have been 3 of the guys that give her 3+ attack by turn 4.. yeah! Hero with 9 attack...

And at turn 4 she casts death-swords with 4/4 , eggs and 6/5 guys

I guess I have been more "lucky" with the AI and it's insane counters. But seems to me the only way to win this one is by having pure draw luck. If you don't always draw a card you can play you are down to 0 health at turn 5

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2014, 11:20 eRe4s3r

All I ever find are hedgehogs...  

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 22, 2014, 11:17 eRe4s3r

It's "Idiots are allowed to write for CNN" month again.. like every month  

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 22, 2014, 05:29 eRe4s3r

panbient wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 18:29:
LittleMe wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 11:06:
Yes.

Well to me it isn't about privacy. It's a human rights issue as well as the illegality and unaccountability of what they've done. Not only the vast amount of other people's money they've spent, but that their infrastructure is exactly what tyrants to use to brutally oppress innocent people. We should not tolerate their actions. They should be exposed to the light of scrutiny and criticism.

Do you mean the government or Snowden? It seems to me both are sitting on the private and personal information of the population to promote their own agenda and to further their own personal goals.

Snowden sits on nothing, it's the journalists that received the data (The Intercept) that decide what is given to the media and what isn't. And not everyone working at and with "The Intercept" agrees with their self-censorship either.

But don't let facts get in the way of your theory

6825 Comments. 342 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo