Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 7164 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
27. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 6, 2014, 21:46 eRe4s3r

yuastnav wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 20:25:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 18:22:
Beamer wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 18:15:
Julio wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 18:10:
Perhaps the gaming industry will have to figure out how to do more with less, just like everyone else.

If you ran things, they would. Budgets would plummet as AAA games went for $10 and indie game sold for $0.99. When budgets fall, layoffs happen and quality goes with it.

This would be no problem if everyone had a standard income that is high enough to sustain life by default (no matter his situation, rich or not)....

If every human being could without money pressure decide what to actually do in life then we would have cheap games of insane high quality, because only people who LOVE making games would be making games. And they would not care about ROI. This would further boost social services (done by people, for people, without payment) because someone who knows for sure he won't starve next month might notice he enjoys helping others who are ill or need help.

That the world is fucked up as it is is exactly because everyone has to cheat someone else out of money in order to survive. And remember, your income is someone else's debt. Every cent you earn, someone else loses. Capitalism is to put it bluntly, a system designed to kill the human race in the long-term. Because greed is infinite, but resources are not.

Hmm.

Isn't that basically almost technocratic communism?
There is no money but food and items like clothing, cars etc. are made by machines and are free for anyone to acquire and use while everyone is able to pursue science, art etc. and barely anyone does menial labour? In an extremely simplified way, of course. Not sure how exactly that would work out in reality.

I am not sure how it would work in reality of course, nobody tried it on the scale required to make it an proper experiment (ie, at least a few nations would have to do it at once and coordinated, because export/import/immigration/emigration would be a huge problem otherwise)

I would also not do away with money at least not in the next 200 years, it could be done with a simple monthly cash payment that EVERY citizen get's with no exceptions, everyone that is citizen gets that money. Monthly, until death.

But I would be employing some tricks. I would make the money decay at the end of a monthly period and pay-out date is randomized so that not everyone gets money at the same day. This way prices can not be jacked up because everyone has money at a certain point in time that is in any way predictable. Also it would have to be DNA encoded or something.

In the end you have to realize I do not want to replace capitalism, I want to fix the problem with capitalism. Namely that people can not do what they LOVE to do because it might pay so badly currently that it's impossible to do that without starving. And this has a feedback loop into everything we consider "culture" culture is not made by companies, culture is made by people who use their lives to enrich other people's lives.... and the more we can somehow get people to do this, the more culture and science we would be able to gain from it. Imagine how much art, music, entertainment we could have if people would no longer have to cater to a mass market! They could do art for 10 people specifically for those 10 people, and they could do it without having to worry about their rent, heating, food or electricity bill. Capitalism by design does not allow for something like this. And the people who do it despite this are scraping at the bottom.

In a way maybe it's more like a technocratic culture economy. The goal is to promote science and culture because the first improves our life, and the latter enriches it..

Whether it can ever work in a true "utopia" style system I REALLY doubt. Menial labor has to be rewarded or nobody is gonna do it. And we need systems in place to trade... and this is where I am not sure how to handle it. Because trade is always a loss of resources for the producing party that no amount of money or exchanged goods can balance.

If you "trade" an IPAD you have a few thousand resources in your hand that would have to be 100% recycled and RETURNED to wherever you bought it from in order to have trade even work. And this becomes an issue with stuff you can not recycle too.... and why is this a problem? Well remember electricity and water are used in most production steps in some way. And even if you return the resources, the producer still has to employ more electricity and water in order to re-produce with those recycled resources whatever it is he wants to produce.

So at least in theory, this system would fall apart if a nation were not able to produce everything itself, if given the resources.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2014, 21:51.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 6, 2014, 18:22 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 18:15:
Julio wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 18:10:
Perhaps the gaming industry will have to figure out how to do more with less, just like everyone else.

If you ran things, they would. Budgets would plummet as AAA games went for $10 and indie game sold for $0.99. When budgets fall, layoffs happen and quality goes with it.

This would be no problem if everyone had a standard income that is high enough to sustain life by default (no matter his situation, rich or not)....

If every human being could without money pressure decide what to actually do in life then we would have cheap games of insane high quality, because only people who LOVE making games would be making games. And they would not care about ROI. This would further boost social services (done by people, for people, without payment) because someone who knows for sure he won't starve next month might notice he enjoys helping others who are ill or need help.

That the world is fucked up as it is is exactly because everyone has to cheat someone else out of money in order to survive. And remember, your income is someone else's debt. Every cent you earn, someone else loses. Capitalism is to put it bluntly, a system designed to kill the human race in the long-term. Because greed is infinite, but resources are not.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2014, 16:43 eRe4s3r

blueshirt3k wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 12:44:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 11:45:
Am I the only one finding it hilarious they need to release a new KERNEL to support a single USB device?

Or was it previously supported and needed hacks and this is just the sane version of that?

I think it is just a result open-source drivers being bundled with the kernel source code. It may be possible to build this module against an earlier kernel if it did not require any fancy new interface in the kernel to get it working.

Hence why I thought the headline hilarious, a Kernel got nothing to do with usb device drivers. (As you said ,p) so no, the Kernel does not support xbone controllers, the kernel ships with open source drivers that support the xbone controller.

Ps.: IN true slashdot style I obviously did not read the article ,p

15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 6, 2014, 16:38 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 16:29:
Cutter wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 16:25:
Julio wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 14:48:
NKD wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 13:54:
Flat pricing is not fair pricing, by definition.

Interesting - to me charging each consumer the same price for the same product is fair. To do otherwise is unfair.

No, they should be able to charge what they want where they want. Similarly, consumers should have the right to shop around for better prices where ever they please too. If I feel I can make more money in one place than another I'll charge what the market will bear. However, I won't begrudge the consumer going somewhere else or buying a cheaper product. Regional pricing and resales are only a problem with bullshit like this saying you can't buy other places and/or resell.

Why would anyone ever buy from their locale if they can just as easily buy from a Russian ecommerce storefront?

Uh, we can, and we do I have bought exactly ZERO games on the actual steam store in the past 5 years and saved about 500 euros...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2014, 11:45 eRe4s3r

Am I the only one finding it hilarious they need to release a new KERNEL to support a single USB device?

Or was it previously supported and needed hacks and this is just the sane version of that?

PC Gaming > Post your FPS config - old school
23. Subject? Oct 6, 2014, 11:22 eRe4s3r

It's scary how many of you guys actually run inverted mouse Since a mouse was supposed to be a 1:1 pointing device that translates movement of a flat surface directly to the flat surface you are staring at. But in the sense that you "point" ie, you do not rotate a camera, you point where you look. Since I grew up (basically) with settlers, dune and only later with Quake 2 and HL1 the default mouse aim/point method grew on me. I have actually huge problems when certain tactical rts games invert camera modes and what happens when you move your mouse to the edges) The worst offenders easily being space rts games.

But I guess when you are used to that, it must be a real pain in the ass to not have it as an option...

anyway.. I have boring default

WSAD XCV Space Shift C (y = prone, but my Y is where your Z is) and 5 mouse buttons, right aim, left fire, middle reload (but also R) and mb4 is knife and mb5 is grenade. Scrollwheel is to change weapons, but I am debating with myself whether to change that because I tend to always press the number keys anyway. Anyone else actually using the number keys for weapon selection?

More importantly, if games have it, Quicksave is always ALWAYS rebound by me to F5.. seriously, F5 is quicksave.... F6 (or maybe F9) is quickload any game not getting this right gets my ire. I don't care about quickload... but quicksave F5 is so in my motion patterns ingrained that I can do it automatically without thinking about it

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2014, 11:28.

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 6, 2014, 10:45 eRe4s3r

I feel dirty clicking on that, but to TLDR for those not wanting to click on gamasutra

"Buying boxes does not give you the right the resell JUST the keys" reselling is only allowed 1:1 ... in the EU

Which means it's perfectly legal to buy games in Russia, take the keys and sell from a site outside the EU to inside the EU.

Also for the record, the headline chosen by the blogger is again, bullshit. Key Selling does not infringe, only SELECTIVE key reselling infringes. This is a HUGE practical difference.

News Comments > etc.
27. Re: etc. Oct 5, 2014, 21:49 eRe4s3r

Flatline wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 18:53:
ASeven wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 12:34:
Whoever was the cunt that made that car bomb threat, I hope he is found and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. These threats help neither side.

And speaking of Leigh Alexander, have a compilation of saying from this SJW woman. Because if anyone can talk about ethics, it surely is she.

Who is this person and why do they apparently have power to ruin the lives of people?

She is the Chief Editor on Gamasutra

And that tells you everything you need to know She is the single most unprofessional idiot ever allowed into a public writing position.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
26. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2014, 15:51 eRe4s3r

Quboid wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 13:25:
NKD wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 13:11:
Quboid wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 12:49:
Are any of you guys who are enjoying ME:SoM using KB&M? I don't like using my controller with third person games and the Batman series didn't 'feel' quite right with KB&M.

I'm using keyboard and mouse. Feels very responsive compared to Batman, at least to me.

Good. Any mouse smoothing, acceleration or other port symptoms?

It has EXTREME mouse acceleration that can not be toggled off ;/ (Source, Steam forums)

General Discussion > White House Security
2. Re: White House Security Oct 5, 2014, 08:36 eRe4s3r

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 19:45:
Does anyone else find it ridiculously bad that the dude was able to get into the 3rd room of the White House? Explain to me what other Nation lets ANYONE even NEAR their President like that? Explain to me why he wasn't dropped after about 10 feet over the fence? Then he "overpowered" a female CIA agent? wow.....

What am I missing?

(doesn't matter to me if the Prez was there or not, had the guy had a bomb strapped to his chest, he would have damn near taken down a part of the building. Good job guys....good job - just gave the bad guys a ton of ideas and showed them how easy it is to take down our leader)

The scary part is not that Obama could be killed, the scary part is who his second in command is.....

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 5, 2014, 08:32 eRe4s3r

DangerDog wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 18:21:
Maybe they have stock on companies that will provide protection against these usb hacks.

no computer that you want to remain secure should have publicly accessible usb ports, banks sometimes have courtesy terminals and don't house the cpu in a locked cabinet. That's a pretty big mistake.

USB shouldn't even be on any platform in a security relevant environment. Public agencies here all run thin clients, with 1 (really weirdly sanitized) USB port. Since it runs via some unix via samaba to network to windows usb mounting voodoo I doubt hacked firmware can execute anything.

Now you can not buy ANY device or cable related to USB anymore for fear someone integrated the hack in the plug. And how would you protect your home pc from such an attack? How would you even KNOW when it is fixed?

In a way these 2 people are terrorists. They just damaged an vital computing infrastructure just for their ego. You don't release an vulnerability that has no fix on github. (No fix, ever, because it is an API problem. If they fix it the next USB will be incompatible with all other USB ports)

So thank you Adam Caudill and Brandon Wilson for introducing YET ANOTHER security nightmare into the computer world. Responsible disclosure my ass.

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Report
28. Re: Star Citizen Status Report Oct 5, 2014, 05:14 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 22:34:
The persistent online personal servers are in the link/update.

But not about OFFLINE persistence

News Comments > Game Reviews
16. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2014, 20:08 eRe4s3r

Fantaz wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 14:15:
5.9?! wtf...

It's colonial marines all over again

Also haven't we been saying this all along? How can a game like this be 10 to 20 hours? There is only 1 alien, and they sure as fuck can't code a properly fun AI for that, with wall walk and ceiling hangs and all that. (and more to the point, in the dark ship you'd never even see the damn thing coming if they got the AI right)

So depending on the situation, they either have good AI then it sucks because of manual checkpoint saves ie you will die, constantly, or they have bad AI and it sucks because it's not scary. You can not make this game in any way not suck, it's by design.

And I don't ever play games that are not designed to be FUN. Fun as in, not being stupidly frustrating by design. Also hiding from 1 Alien on 1 ship for 20+ hours... is not what I call a smart-gameplay decision Even if they added robots and humans as bullet/resource sponges....

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Report
16. Re: Star Citizen Status Report Oct 4, 2014, 19:56 eRe4s3r

All I care about.. is something they haven't touched yet at all.. Squadron 42 will be SP.. but what about a stand-alone OFFLINE persistent sandbox?  

News Comments > Crusader Kings II Charlemagne Expansion This Month
8. Re: rusader Kings II Charlemagne Expansion This Month Oct 4, 2014, 18:32 eRe4s3r

Quickly, someone make a game called Rusader Ings  

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Oct 4, 2014, 16:42 eRe4s3r

Julio wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 16:14:
Intel is taking a side, against SJWs.

More against Gamasutra and their unprofessional bullshit. They even say it's not choosing a side, it's because of site-wide misconduct

News Comments > Game Reviews
26. Re: Game Reviews Oct 3, 2014, 18:27 eRe4s3r

Julio wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 11:06:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 10:10:
Prez wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 09:56:
The four reviews posted are on the four sites I swore off forever. No clicks for you!

Same here.

Agreed. I wonder if each of them reviewed it separately, but I'm not clicking and supporting those SJW sites.

It would be nice if we could get fewer links from the sites that hate gamers.

The 4 sites I never click on ever again Youtube let's plays or first looks are the only reviews for me anyway....

News Comments > The Evil Within Minimum Specs
34. Re: The Evil Within Minimum Specs Oct 3, 2014, 16:36 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 14:52:
dj LiTh wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 14:15:
It will be the end of me if i ever get a cap, i average 4tb down a month (thats a slow month).

What on earth uses that much bandwidth? Are you streaming 4K 24-7?

Heh I barely reach 300gb a month with a few 720p streams and plenty of steam downloads.. that's a heavy usage month for me... It's not outlandish to get to 1tb with 1080p HQ streaming I guess.. but 4TB?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 3, 2014, 14:23 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 13:23:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 13:00:
Beamer wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 12:20:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 12:13:
Beamer wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 12:10:
Creston wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 11:37:
Comcast pizza party... I'd laugh if it wasn't so sad. At least they apparently sprung for good pizza. I would have fully expected Comcast to show up with 2 small, plain cheese pizzas from Cici's or something.

They haven't done this in my building yet because my building doesn't have CondoInternet. The one I was supposed to move into did, but I switched to this one at the last minute since it has a ridiculous view, but no CondoInternet. Apparently I'm the only one bugging the leasing office.

I find it funny that they mention X1 at the end. I would love X1, but you can't get it out here without also getting landline. Guess what, Comcast: no one in an apartment in this part of Seattle has a fucking landline. No one in this neighborhood is over 60.

You would trade gigabit internet for a good view? Shame on you! ^^

I look North and I see the Space Needle about 500 yards away, look West and see the Puget Sound sprawling out about 500 yards away, and look South and see Mt. Rainer in the distance.

It's pretty awesome and I'm going to miss it when I leave Seattle.

I guess I have the simple problem of understanding what the POINT of a good view out a window is. Doesn't enrich my life one bit...

Waking up to floor to ceiling windows with a view of the most notable features of your city with sunlight spilling in everywhere is really great.

Gigabyte internet, on the other hand, rarely seems like it'd be better than the 50mbps I'm getting now, as I'm usually limited by the server, not my connection.

I am stuck at 6mbit

News Comments > ArcheAge Hits 2M Players
18. Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 13:13 eRe4s3r

Yakubs wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 12:54:
Really fun game. The questing in the beginning is annoying and tedious but once you get past that, it really opens up.

IMO the fact that there are hacks and crazy shit going on just makes the game more fun. We're living in a world where our corporate overlords like Blizzard and EA keep tight control over everything we do in-game so it's nice to play a game like this again. It's just a video game after all, not your real life.

But you are wasting your real life playing this ,) So it is real life

7164 Comments. 359 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo