Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 7002 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
78. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2014, 12:08 eRe4s3r

Prez wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 17:11:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 17:09:

And like any good gamer I also had a huge stack of gaming mags .. but I had to throw them away ;/////

My wife wishes to hell I would too. Half a closet's worth of space wasted...

More like half of my entire cupboard space I had to choose between my favorite game boxes or gaming mags. A female was involved, but she didn't pressure me, it was a hard cold ruthless decision of the "where the heck am I going to put this when I move?" kind.... I am very practical when it comes down to it. Gaming mags offer nothing the Internet doesn't. But my beautiful Baldurs Gate 2 box looks very pretty ;p

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2014, 10:10 eRe4s3r

Prez wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 10:05:
Task wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 09:46:
I still laugh every time I see that word "Gamergate" as if its somehow anything 'like' Watergate. "One of these things is not like the other one."

Yeah, I hate that term. It just sounds so melodramatic.

Melodramatic you say?

NSFW: https://encyclopediadramatica.es/Main_Page

The Internet feeds on drama.

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Ship Customization Video
6. Re: Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Ship Customization Video Sep 9, 2014, 08:10 eRe4s3r

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 07:41:
Cliffs games leave a lot to be desired but they sure do look pretty. I wouldn't really call them games, more toys then anything. I'd love it if beat hazard and space battles had a baby, I'd love to play the beat hazard ship againts a fleat of space battles ships while the music is playing.

The problem with cliffs games is he either needs to take Space battles in the 4x like direction of simulation, or go the smuppy beat hazard route of an action game. This toy simulation with microscopic RTS elements that plays out fixed as you watch the game play itself is petty bland.

His game caters to super casuals.

GSB2 mixed with a 4x would be really neat... it's absurd he never actually does anything with his ideas. He just polishes them up, but he never connects the dots for a truly great game.

News Comments > Op Ed
61. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 17:09 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 17:06:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 16:18:
Prez wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 16:09:

4) Hey, I thought we were disagreeing here?

Nah, I mostly agree. I just wanted to clarify for the yung'uns. Back in our day, we pined for our copy of CGW and checked our mailboxes daily for a week until it came. And we read it cover to cover. Twice. That's the way it was, and we liked it!

I remember going nuts over E3 articles. Tiny postage stamped screens and 15 word blurbs, yet I'd identify what game was the next big thing to me due to it. Hell, any preview - I was 100% right on getting obsessed with Half Life based on 3 screens and two sentences, but 100% wrong thinking that, after Half Life, Prax War would be the next big thing. In that famous upcoming shooters preview, those were the two I loved. And based on essentially zero information.

Now? E3 seems annoying, not interesting.

Oh yeah.. that is very true.. nowadays E3 just seems like more noise on a noisy day at best... and at worst you can't even tell apart anymore what is or isn't E3 news, even during E3 ;p

And like any good gamer I also had a huge stack of gaming mags .. but I had to throw them away ;/////

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 8, 2014, 17:05 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 10:55:
Lifes certainties: death, taxes, Adobe security flaws and Calibre needing an update every damned time I open it.

That... THAT SO MUCH... argh

News Comments > Op Ed
55. TLDR is a thing Sep 8, 2014, 16:36 eRe4s3r

Well others already told you, but TLDR is a thing that a news site should always be FUNDAMENTALLY aware.  

News Comments > Independent Games Festival Defends Judging Process
3. Re: Independent Games Festival Defends Judging Process Sep 8, 2014, 11:56 eRe4s3r

Dmitri_M wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 11:47:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 11:27:
Ask any indy, and you will know that the IGF has the highest "juror did not play the fucking games they are judging" rate of all the award shows.... funny huh?
I think most people buy a lot of indie games but don't actually play them beyond a few minutes.

Well, of course We are not judging them for any awards though. My first action when I see a game I never heard about is always "Gamename" "Let's Play" on youtube anyway. ^^

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 11:34 eRe4s3r

NegaDeath wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 11:23:
Do these game sites even have time to review games with all the crusades they're undertaking right now?

RPS is a game site? You could have fooled me!

News Comments > Independent Games Festival Defends Judging Process
1. Re: Independent Games Festival Defends Judging Process Sep 8, 2014, 11:27 eRe4s3r

Ask any indy, and you will know that the IGF has the highest "juror did not play the fucking games they are judging" rate of all the award shows.... funny huh?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 7, 2014, 21:40 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 20:55:
MajorD wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 16:47:
#6 - 7 Ways to Die, I believe that is a typo, as it should be 7 Days to Die.

I'm surprised we don't see 7 Days to Die in the 'Top 10' more often. This is a developer that not only continues to fix minor bugs here and there, but continues to enhance the game; the game just continues to improve and impress with each alpha release, and there is much more additions/improvements on the their (The Fun Pimps) roadmap. These guys (The Fun Pimps) are top notch.

For those of you that have the game and haven't played it lately, it is worth checking out the newly implemented smooth terrain (no more blocky terrain), random-gen-never-ending-maps, improved crafting, etc.

I have gotten, and continue to get, a lot of fun/mileage out of this game and always look forward to their next alpha release with more new goodies and fun.

How does it compare to State of Decay? I bought that based on let's play vids and word of mouth but once I started playing I found it kind of boring.

7 days to die is like Minecraft mixed with survival horror on steroids... atmosphere is great, deep crafting system, build your own houses, traps and stuff, and giant hordes of zombies that you can configure however you like your zombies, runners, shamblers, and anything in between ,) If you like something like that it's imo a great game..

Vastly superior to the crap that is State of Decay... (Oh, and infinite generating world map) if they keep their dev speed up it seems like this is the one survival zombie apocalypse game to rule them all.

... kinda sad no AAA title is really tackling zombie survival in a SERIOUS mature way. And even sadder crappy POS console ports like Dead Rising 3: Apocalypse Edition sell so well. Considering the game has literally ZERO gameplay when it comes down to it. Zombies are extremely passive, you can walk through giant hordes with ease... what a waste of development time and effort.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 7, 2014, 14:59 eRe4s3r

one of the lowest-cost X99 motherboards currently available

And there, you see, lies the rabbit buried

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
9. Re: Saturday Interviews Sep 7, 2014, 13:27 eRe4s3r

Tom wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 11:22:
It's sad that they manage to do this even when the framerate is capped by vsync.

Vsync does not cap framerates, it is something entirely different from a frame limiter (which works BEFORE the frame-buffer while vsync works by limiting frames already passed to the frame-buffer (by preventing them from reaching it)) Meaning you need both, and fyi, frame limiter at 60fps would still lead to tearing ;p

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 7, 2014, 09:29 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 04:23:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 01:32:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 19:10:
I hear Ian Malcolm is looking for work, as long as it doesn't involve dinosaurs.

TLDR - > they are talking about chaos theory, the management of complex, non predictable systems that despite being entirely chaotic, follow complex rules. (The goal is to find these rules, to make predictions).

Company like Netflix definitely needs something like that

Right, thus the Jurassic Park joke.

I don't think many people remember who that is though I gotta rewatch Jurassic park at some point...

News Comments > Revised Ryse: Son of Rome System Specs
9. Re: Revised Ryse: Son of Rome System Specs Sep 7, 2014, 09:28 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 08:45:
4K gaming? Right. And how long did it take for 64 bit gaming to become a reality? I remember using XP 64 bit because I was stoked for the coming onslaught of 64 bit games! 15 years later....finally a trickle begins.

And more hilariously, the games where it matters most (Simulations) have been skimping on properly utilizing 64bit.. and thus we gained nothing from 64bit even though it's now supported.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 6, 2014, 01:32 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 19:10:
I hear Ian Malcolm is looking for work, as long as it doesn't involve dinosaurs.

TLDR - > they are talking about chaos theory, the management of complex, non predictable systems that despite being entirely chaotic, follow complex rules. (The goal is to find these rules, to make predictions).

Company like Netflix definitely needs something like that

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation in Stores
14. Re: Planetary Annihilation in Stores Sep 5, 2014, 12:11 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 10:34:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 10:29:
This is one of the few things I backed back when KS was all the hype.
Me too and tbh I don't like the way the game turned out to be.
Find it more frustrating than fun to play.
Lesson learned.
It reminds me of Stracraft with "number of action per minute" and macros and build orders, bullshit

Yeah I pretty much agree. I guess the money was really not enough. Too many ideas, not enough money to make them happen properly and while the game is kinda ok, it sounded so neat to have entire planets.. but now that I played it I can't even put in words how much tiny planets annoy the heck out of me. This game needs a proper defense system for planets (the ranges of everything orbital are extremely small) otherwise you play catch the transporter the entire game, (and there is literally no way to catch it, unless you build orbital defenses every 20feet ... sigh

13. Re: Planetary Annihilation in Stores Sep 5, 2014, 12:02 eRe4s3r

Well I played an hour...

Oh my god Orbital combat is annoying as fuck, has zero oohmp behind it, everything dies instantly or has way too short ranges and because the orbit occludes 50% of the shit happening you can literally overlook an ENTIRE FUCKING LANDING ARMY and never even be told one is building up on your starting planet...

Galactic War (the SP) imbalanced as fuck (no way to retreat, so you find the faction commander on turn 3 with no advanced units (I found, literally Orbital Tech, Storage Tech, Tech Slot, Storage Tech) and it dropped me on the friggin faction commander who of course, has ALL the tech. Including nukes.

Nukes by the way, not something you can defend against unless you find the right tech. So yay?

I've gotta say, spherical maps sounded need in theory, but holy crap is this impossible to play on. We need a proper minimap in this game or it's literally UNPLAYABLE since for each planet you have 2 layers (ground/orbit) and no way to look at orbit while you look at what happens on the ground.

PIP is near useless here as you often fight on 3 fronts (orbit, ground and elsewhere ground/orbit)... the voice announcer says useless things and doesn't inform of you the really important things (like friggin teleporter in construction on my starting world, fastest game over ever ;p) While I was looking at enemy planet building advanced laser weapon of doom (only thing I could build, actually to attack him) he teleported half his army on my planet and the only moment I got an info was when my radar blew up, which was about the time my commander died from 300 advanced troops (remember, could only build default land vehicles and nothing else, literally nothing else ;P)

So yeah, this needs a shit-metric-ton of mods to be a decent rts... sigh. At least the AI is pretty damn competent. When it doesn't walk right up to your base at the 4minute mark with no support to die. Which happened to me ;/

Ps.: It has SP in a sense, Skirmish is in and works fine. There is also Galactic war, which is a sort of "travel around stars, find tech, find enemy, fight enemies, win" campaign. No story, but if you want to play SP keep in mind this is literally a draw of luck. You either find the tech you need to win, or you literally do not have a single chance in hell since you can not retreat from a fight (ie, you move on a star on the star-map, and it only gives you the option to fight)

1. Re: Planetary Annihilation in Stores Sep 5, 2014, 10:29 eRe4s3r

This is one of the few things I backed back when KS was all the hype. So now is the day of truth, huh? PoE will be the 3rd and last day of truth by the way ;p  

News Comments > Op Ed
334. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2014, 05:53 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 12:22:
Jenn Frank, who wrote freelance for The Guardian, has quit writing on games. She's been harassed out. Her sin? She wrote The Guardian's 500 word blog covering #gamergate. She also donated money to Zoe Quinn a long time ago on Patreon and has met Quinn at least once.

She didn't review Quinn's products, and she didn't write something advertising them, she covered #gamergate in a blog (aka editorial.) The Guardian's legal staff reviewed it and recommended she not bother disclosing it.

Is this where we are now? Are our games "journalists" not allowed to personally meet developers nor donate to Kickstarters? What, exactly, do we expect from our game journalists? Do sports anchors not know athletes? Do our music reviewers not spend time backstage or go to awards shows?

They are allowed to do all that, if disclosed BEFORE WRITING AN OP-ED, not AFTER. And Patreon should be 100% forbidden for journalists, not just disclosed.

News Comments > The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 Early Access
2. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 Early Access Sep 5, 2014, 02:26 eRe4s3r

EUR 29.99/USD 29.99

Hahahaha

Brits pay 40.79 US Dollar
Europeans pay 38.78 US Dollar

Or put differently, fuck regional pricing and anyone supporting it.

7002 Comments. 351 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo