Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 7290 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released
28. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released Oct 24, 2014, 16:04 eRe4s3r

Flatline wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 15:36:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 14:53:
Ah, mhh that is interesting In the let's plays I watched the AI factions were pretty forgettable. The AI still acted like in CIV5, it didn't really push conflicts properly etc.

Anyway, I didn't play it, I only saw let's plays. So if you guys notice something and correct me please do that. I just didn't get a very good first impression at all.

Maybe it's gonna be a good game with expansions. But it remains to be seen whether it even gets any.

Yeah I was surprised actually. The faction that did it was on really good friendly terms with me and had been for most of the game. I guess they advanced on the harmony affinity and decided I was killing their precious little grubs.

We'll see if that's a fluke or not. So far you're about right with the AI, it's not much changed, although one faction that I did have a declaration of friendship with sent a steady stream of soldiers to help contain the absolutely absurd amount of aliens that were besieging my civ without me asking. He was exploring, saw that a crapload of aliens were spawning around me and sent like 20 units to kill the fuck out of the aliens and then went off and left me on my own. Must have had the warrior culture path ramped up.

First time an alliance ever did that for me.

There's actually a lot of great ideas in the game I'd like to see pushed back to normal Civ, like the idea of favors. Instead of mooching off of you in normal Civ, if you don't have anything you want or you're hit up for charity you're offered favors in diplomatic trade to be cached in later. Which is actually kind of awesome. If they had that in Civ 5 it'd make the diplomacy game far more interesting to me.

The favor system is really a good idea, that's true. It also allows to trade favors, and the in the let's play I saw the AI give offers to "buy" a favor *back*.

That with the Aliens I never saw in the let's plays I saw The AI just bombed the hell out of any Alien getting too close (Basically had a dozen needle jets at some point) and was regularly running bombing missions on a hive, but never managed to actually destroy it. It's also worth noting that affinity units are extremely powerful.... the late game jets could 1 hit kill any alien (and any AI unit ,p).

Also the AI did not react to the victory building construction, nor it's activation phase. It send some angry letters but happily lost the game without action. In the entire let's play the AI never had declared war either and 2 AI's in the game were never even discovered, they must have been on some remote island and never got off..... In the end-game basically every round "operatives killed" and "operatives found" (dude was stealing tech via operatives by the bucket-load ,p) That system is extremely weirdly balanced, the AI doesn't seem able to handle it, it sends it's operatives on the offense, forgetting the defense.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released Oct 24, 2014, 15:48 eRe4s3r

Wolfox wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 15:17:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 14:53:
I was so hyped about Rebirth and then you mocked me (well, I deserved that) ;)

Have you picked the free DLC for Rebirth? It won't be free for much longer.

And who knows, Rebirth might be a great game one day. Weirdest things have happened.

And yeah, I also pre-ordered Rebirth, and tried to convince myself it was great for 30 hours or so. I will keep trying it again every once in a while, when major patches come out, or when I have a new video card or something. I still have some small bit of hope.

Thanks for mentioning that .. I had totally forgotten about the DLC free thingy...

But my hope is like.. in the sub-zero regions

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
7. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 24, 2014, 14:57 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 13:49:
When I saw this KS a week ago, I thought "Looks interesting, might pick that up someday." For me to KS something it has to be "OMG, I want this NOW."

I am probably every KS' projects nightmare then, because I am the same Something has to grab me from the first line of the intro blurb video, music atmosphere, it has to fit it has to draw you in and spit you wanting to play that damn thing right now or better yesterday!

This project only sounded .. ehm, ok. It didn't help that their intro blurb is *really* bad. Not their video, no that's ok for what it does. I mean the presentation below the video. Too much of their screen space is wasted on rewards and stretch goals. Dear devs on KS, I just want to know what kind of game this is ;p

22. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released Oct 24, 2014, 14:53 eRe4s3r

Flatline wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 14:49:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 11:24:
You won't get a angry letter that you just destroyed half the planets aliens...

Actually I had a faction demand I stop killing the native aliens in the first 2 hours of playing the game and waged war on me when I wouldn't (to be fair they kept acting aggressively).

We'll see how it holds up to longer term play sessions, but I'm enjoying it for now. I'm still a little overwhelmed by the iconography of the map but that'll adjust quickly enough.

Ah, mhh that is interesting In the let's plays I watched the AI factions were pretty forgettable. The AI still acted like in CIV5, it didn't really push conflicts properly etc.

Anyway, I didn't play it, I only saw let's plays. So if you guys notice something and correct me please do that. I just didn't get a very good first impression at all.

Maybe it's gonna be a good game with expansions. But it remains to be seen whether it even gets any.

And please don't be angry with me, it's all you guys fault. I was so hyped about Rebirth and then you mocked me (well, I deserved that) And now I seriously don't buy any games until well after release. And only when I really want to play them after watching Let's plays.

Ps.: And yeah, I am still pissed about X Rebirth. Patch 2.5 fixed nothing!

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2014, 15:14.

21. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released Oct 24, 2014, 14:49 eRe4s3r

Jamil20 wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 14:48:
Fion wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 14:42:
Have you heard about the Long War mod? It's the most popular XCom: EU/EW mod that ups the difficulty, choices and really puts that classic feel into the game. I suggest you check it out.

No I haven't. Thank you for the recommendation. I hope to try it some day.

You really should, it makes XCOM EW what it should have been

14. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released Oct 24, 2014, 14:19 eRe4s3r

Jamil20 wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 13:42:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 11:24:
But what really bothered me was how lazy everything looked. The factions are cookie cutter identical, gone are the different city styles from Alpha Centauri per race (now only per affinity), the Aliens are Starship Trooper style cannon fodder (actually, literally starship trooper style bugs) and the various factions don't even have any identity: You could call them AI 1 AI 2 AI 3 and you'd not notice a difference between them. You won't get a angry letter that you just destroyed half the planets aliens... and the win screen doesn't even have sodding stats.

game devs becoming lazy and this is so clearly a CIV5 mod (where the modders got the actual SDK) that it is sad. This is nothing a mod team couldn't have done if there'd be a decent CIV5 SDK.

I call this treatment getting 'Firaxis-ed'

What you are really saying is that Brian Reynolds was the reason Alpha Centauri was what it was, one of the best 4x games ever made. Without him, Firaxis only knows how to clone CIV. Though I give them 1 kudos, the quest system is smart. But what is that good for when the entire setting is so... lazy.

I am not saying it is bad, I am saying the game reeks of lazy design as if they didn't get the extra 6 months they wold have needed to finish the game. Or maybe they decided or were told that a game world and approach to "narrative on human existence" like Alpha Centauri is too "smart" for the CIV5 audience. Either way, I watched a long Let's play of CIV5 : Beyond earth, and one of the laziest things of them all that I constantly saw in the let's plays.... (now I am nitpicking!)

Farms, you know farms. You also know roads. Now why the heck do roads just "blend" through farms, including their building. This looks absolutely horrible (especially the late-game bio-wells = farm replacement) (the entire road/magtrain thing looks horrible with it doing giant looping curves and blending through every ground texture and even going straight to terrain objects, as if the road is ethereal..) It's as if the designers forgot to implement something. I can't believe that is intended. ;(

Or maybe I am only noticing that because this annoyed the fuck out of me in CIV5 ;p

also who the heck implements a MAG-RAIL and then makes that a flat texture on the ground? No model, no poles, no tubes. Nothing. A rail texture.. woohoo ;p

You know.. I played actually better CIV Colonization mods ;p

Like this one ;p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yylZ1kYYTq4

Btw.. because I was bored and looking at CIV4 Colonization mods
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=349050
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=440319

The imo best ones ,)

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2014, 14:45.

12. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released Oct 24, 2014, 13:38 eRe4s3r

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 13:16:
Mmhmm, except judging a game like Civ on the first 3 hours is like judging a movie on its opening credits...

I have 210 hours in CIV5.. I smell a CIV5 mod from miles away ,) Most gameplay systems are 1:1 clones

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 24, 2014, 11:58 eRe4s3r

Why does it tank? Watch the video and you'll know why...

The idea sounds good, but after watching it I have absolutely zero clue what the fuck kind of game this is supposed to be. They fail because in all their fancy art and what not, they forgot to actually explain the GAME.

And worse, they have shown a mini-game I would probably never want to play more than once.... and the rest of the actual game remains a mystery.

Also they fucked up drastically in their updates

Here is video that explains gameplay , which they link on some update that nobody will ever read
http://dayfornightgames.com/black-glove-gameplay

and from that, the game sounds a lot less interesting.. well to me anyway.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2014, 12:05.

9. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released Oct 24, 2014, 11:24 eRe4s3r

Let's hope there'll be an SDK.. because if CIV5 was any indication there'll be ZERO fundamentally different mods for this.

I watched a pretty long (3 hour) complete let's play and the game seems to be absolutely dumbed down. You basically control your advancement per research and quests (based on buildings you build and units you kill) ONLY. And Unit modification is only a dumbed down CIV5 perk system with a 2-way or 3-way unit upgrade choice when it comes down to it.

But what really bothered me was how lazy everything looked. The factions are cookie cutter identical, gone are the different city styles from Alpha Centauri per race (now only per affinity), the Aliens are Starship Trooper style cannon fodder (actually, literally starship trooper style bugs) and the various factions don't even have any identity: You could call them AI 1 AI 2 AI 3 and you'd not notice a difference between them. You won't get a angry letter that you just destroyed half the planets aliens... and the win screen doesn't even have sodding stats.

game devs becoming lazy and this is so clearly a CIV5 mod (where the modders got the actual SDK) that it is sad. This is nothing a mod team couldn't have done if there'd be a decent CIV5 SDK

All I got from watching that complete playthrough (on second highest difficulty I might add) was that I want to watch starship troopers again ;p

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2014, 11:30.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Regicide Media
13. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Regicide Media Oct 24, 2014, 08:11 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 07:04:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 06:48:
InBlack wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 02:51:
I don't get it. What's wrong with chess?

Maybe that any decent AI can totally pwn you at chess nowadays? that it has moves that will always lead to a draw and that the CPU can always 100% win?

chess is broken

There is always multiplayer

But nothing stops your opponent from mirroring that game situation to a chess-ai to get the correct move to win (And before you laugh, yes that's actually done and a huge issue in digital non-lan chess competitions)

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 24, 2014, 08:10 eRe4s3r

Julio wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 07:02:
Although I'm not a fan of the olympics (the olympics not the special olympics for those who are going to assume otherwise) at all, it's good to see the special olympics branch out into non-sport related activities (i.e. esports).

I wouldn't mind olympics of that kind either ,) But what kind of games would be played, what are the rules?

11. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Regicide Media Oct 24, 2014, 06:48 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 02:51:
I don't get it. What's wrong with chess?

Maybe that any decent AI can totally pwn you at chess nowadays? that it has moves that will always lead to a draw and that the CPU can always 100% win?

chess is broken

9. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Regicide Media Oct 24, 2014, 02:25 eRe4s3r

Is games workshop even trying anymore?  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
23. Re: SOLVED! How to get DSR working in SLI and Windows 8.1 Oct 24, 2014, 02:15 eRe4s3r

Frags4Fun wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 14:11:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 12:02:
Frags4Fun wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 11:46:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 11:10:

I actually now have the problem that the MAX DSR is only actual 2x (it says 4x, but it's math is fucked apparently ,p) Because 2x is 1.50 and 4x is 2.0

Very weird issue ~.~ Now that I somehow got it to not take the main display native res it takes some random res.. urgh

What is your native resolution on the main? I read somewhere that resolutions higher than 1920x1080 don't go up to 4x because they are already a higher res and there is some limit as to the max DSR res. If I remember correctly, the max res is 3840 x something. I'm not at home ATM and can't check.

I'm not sure why it won't take the native res. Maybe unistall/reinstall the monitor in the device mangler.

That explains a lot actually.. obviously that 2nd screen res is 1920x1200 my "native" res doesn't exist, because my main screen is a giant high-end CRT running at 1600x1200 (my upscale res via GeDoSaTo is 4800x3600) "true 4k" on a CRT haha ;p And it looks amazing. But I want upscale on the LCD actually and never got that to work right.

So you see the problem GeDoSaTo allows me to run at whatever res I want on the 2nd screen or whatever I want on the first screen (which is a hassle...), but DSR refuses to take anything other than my main screen. I figured out how to make it not use my "maximum" crt resolution as native res, but now It takes some weird as hell resolution that has absolutely no mathematical basis, only 4x is actually 2.0 (ie 2*1600x1200) the rest is very very very weird 1.33 1.66 etc. As if the DSR got confused with the aspect ratio difference or something. I can't even get it to take 1920x1200 as a native res, it simply refuses that res when I add it via EDID on my crt. (ie, it doesn't accept it as "native res" ..

Well whatever, this is clearly not ready for prime-time, but where it works (off-hand I only tested Borderlands 2) it works OK.. inferior to GeDoSaTo though in terms of IQ

I think at some point I will have to remove the CRT out of this but this makes me worry how it's gonna work with the oculus rift. It's essentially a 2nd screen no?

Your setup is an uncommon one. 4800x3600 is insane BTW! 17280000 pixels! That's like 6 1600x800 monitors. What video cards are you running in order to pull that off?

I normally just change the screen that I want to play on to be the main screen in Windows Screen Resolution settings. Since my TV and monitor are both the same resolution, I just duplicate the screens. When I had Nvidia surround running, I had to switch my TV to be the main screen if I wanted to play on the couch.

I was able to run separate resolutions for each screen (by accident) when I first got DSR working. My monitor was at something like 178% and my TV stayed at 1920x1080 until I changed it to match the monitor. I don't know if different aspect ratios and refresh rates would make a difference for your setup. Maybe they need to match?

GeDoSaTo is pretty sweet for Dark Souls 2. I had just recently discovered it last weekend. Does it work for other games as well?

I only use 4800x3600 on games for screenshots and old games where it works and doesn't kill my FPS (well... except the GUI is always an issue..........) You probably know this, but a LOT of games are essentially unplayable (GUI, buttons etc.) When you downscale them from high res. I just run basic 670GTX so I never run that insane res in modern games The good thing with a CRT is you can always go down to lower resolutions and downsample to them without any drastic loss in IQ

I just like to have it there as option

GeDoSaTo works in most DX9 games, which sadly means it works with barely any modern game to begin with! I am just messing around with that tool whenever I have a bit of curiosity but I tested pretty much my entire game library and the only game where it worked RIGHT was Borderlands 2 and Mass Effect / Dead Space. Except the subtitles and text prompts didn't scale.. so they are like 4px large

Mass Effect works great at 3200x2400 -> 1600x1200. But I wouldn't call this "useful" or "practical" And 4800x3600 is just for 2 level downsampling, ie fantastic screenshot quality. I get like 9 fps in most situation with that res ,p

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2014, 02:26.

21. Re: SOLVED! How to get DSR working in SLI and Windows 8.1 Oct 23, 2014, 12:02 eRe4s3r

Frags4Fun wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 11:46:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 11:10:

I actually now have the problem that the MAX DSR is only actual 2x (it says 4x, but it's math is fucked apparently ,p) Because 2x is 1.50 and 4x is 2.0

Very weird issue ~.~ Now that I somehow got it to not take the main display native res it takes some random res.. urgh

What is your native resolution on the main? I read somewhere that resolutions higher than 1920x1080 don't go up to 4x because they are already a higher res and there is some limit as to the max DSR res. If I remember correctly, the max res is 3840 x something. I'm not at home ATM and can't check.

I'm not sure why it won't take the native res. Maybe unistall/reinstall the monitor in the device mangler.

That explains a lot actually.. obviously that 2nd screen res is 1920x1200 my "native" res doesn't exist, because my main screen is a giant high-end CRT running at 1600x1200 (my upscale res via GeDoSaTo is 4800x3600) "true 4k" on a CRT haha ;p And it looks amazing. But I want upscale on the LCD actually and never got that to work right.

So you see the problem GeDoSaTo allows me to run at whatever res I want on the 2nd screen or whatever I want on the first screen (which is a hassle...), but DSR refuses to take anything other than my main screen. I figured out how to make it not use my "maximum" crt resolution as native res, but now It takes some weird as hell resolution that has absolutely no mathematical basis, only 4x is actually 2.0 (ie 2*1600x1200) the rest is very very very weird 1.33 1.66 etc. As if the DSR got confused with the aspect ratio difference or something. I can't even get it to take 1920x1200 as a native res, it simply refuses that res when I add it via EDID on my crt. (ie, it doesn't accept it as "native res" ..

Well whatever, this is clearly not ready for prime-time, but where it works (off-hand I only tested Borderlands 2) it works OK.. inferior to GeDoSaTo though in terms of IQ

I think at some point I will have to remove the CRT out of this but this makes me worry how it's gonna work with the oculus rift. It's essentially a 2nd screen no?

19. Re: SOLVED! How to get DSR working in SLI and Windows 8.1 Oct 23, 2014, 11:10 eRe4s3r

Frags4Fun wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 10:02:
For anyone having trouble getting DSR to run in SLI and Windows 8.1, I have a tip that I figured out last night. I couldn't find this fix online so feel free to pass it on if others need it.

This might only work for people like me who use a monitor at their desk and an HDMI cable going to their TV and both screens have the same resolution. It might work on more than 2 screens but I didn't try. I didn't have time do a lot of testing but hopefully this tip will at least get DSR working in SLI for you.

The options were disappearing with SLI enabled but returned when disabling SLI and others reported that it only breaks in Windows 8.

I found that if I disabled all but my main monitor in Nvidia Control Panel while SLI is disabled and then re-enable SLI with just the one monitor, I could get the DSR options to appear with SLI on. Once you get DSR all set the way you like it on the one monitor, you can re-enable your other monitor (Sony TV in my case) with SLI on and it sticks.

If you duplicate your screens like I do then you can press Windows Key+P and and choose Duplicate.

Not sure if it's possible with triple monitor because I stopped using Nvidia Surround a couple months ago due to it being a hassle in many games as well as losing audio through HDMI but that's another topic all together.

1.) Disable SLI
2.) Disable all but one monitor
3.) Enable the DSR options and set them the way you want them
4.) Set your DSR resolution
5.) Enable SLI
6.) Enable other monitor
7.) (Optional) If you duplicate your screen to a TV or other monitor press Windows Key+P and select Duplicate

I did a clean install on these drivers and do not have Nvidia Experience installed.

I hope that this helps someone.

Edited a few times for clarity

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Recommended Specs
4. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Recommended Specs Oct 23, 2014, 11:08 eRe4s3r

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 10:59:
Huh. Might actually pick this one up. Gonna wait a few weeks, as there are other games higher on my want list, and seeing how cheaty or not the game becomes will determine if I'm gonna play. I've mostly stepped away from competitive multiplayer because there's always someone out to ruin everyone else's good time, it seems.

You just gotta accept that, there'll always be cheaters, griefers and idiots. Wherever you go, even Farmville has them

I am not claiming it doesn't bother me, but I just want a FPS where I can have *fun* and the more I play Battlefield the less fun I have with it. Tanks were cool and all but the battles are always the exact same...

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Recommended Specs
2. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Recommended Specs Oct 23, 2014, 10:06 eRe4s3r

So it has a confirmed FOV option.. but what about dah serverz...

Ps.: I *am* pumped. Fast paced quake style COD is exactly what COD should have been ,p

17. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 23, 2014, 09:59 eRe4s3r

UHD wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 09:46:
Because nVidia, who has no stake in this console generation, cares about how games look on console vs PC.

The developers and publishers would care

Anyway, Alien Isolation crashes when you DSR it. Too bad ;/

15. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 23, 2014, 09:33 eRe4s3r

Dmitri_M wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 08:19:
Nvidia knows best you may not deviate!

Figured out how to fix that myself.. with some hacking but by golly this should not be somthing you have to hack.. what the hell is wrong with just giving us the simple options that we actually need and most of all want?

"Downsample to: Resolution w=xxxx h=xxxx"
DSR ON/OFF
DSR Resolutions: w= h= ; w= h= ; w= h= ;
DSR Filters "Sharp, blurry as fuck (Nvidia Default), super Sharp"
Luma Sharpener YES/NO
Luma Sharpener strength 0 to 100%

Etc?

Nvidia always implements cool shit but then blocks it all off because "noobs"
Bah

And you know what really botheres me? NVidia could implement Luma Sharpener in the driver, but then every single console screenshot would look like shit when compared to a PC screenshot. :/

7290 Comments. 365 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo