Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 7416 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 20, 2014, 17:59 eRe4s3r

The Sony hack may be a crime, but if it is the people that ignored IT security in a multi-billion $ company are the greatest criminals of them all. That's like parking your car in a car-lot where every car parked gets stolen, leaving it unlocked, hanging a sign in front that it is unlocked, and then complaining that your car got stolen.

Sony execs are massive incompetents that try to hide behind bullshit.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 20, 2014, 12:01 eRe4s3r

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 20, 2014, 07:58:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 23:20:
You ever had a raid? I have.. and you don't want to have a 4TB hdd in a raid fail... rebuild takes forever and during that time more HDD's in that raid WILL fail.

I currently have a SAN that consists of 144TB of raw storage (6 6 bay NASes of 4TB drives), so it's funny that you mentioned that. Rebuilding can take a bit but it's not the end of the world provided you use the correct array structure. You won't even see a performance hit during normal usage if you've planned your deployment with even the most rudimentary of caution.

You should never see other drives die during an array build unless you've got a systemic problem, a shit controller or your array choice was very poorly thought out. I use RAID60 with ZFS and have had ZERO additional drives fail during a rebuild.

Well let's just say that you have a nice setup (Although power consumption wise a nightmare!)

A 6x6 RAID 60. That's.. actually really impressive. But with Raid 60 there is always a 50 to 80% workload... on all 36 drives.... But yeah, for your setup a single 4TB disc failure does nothing. But other things can fail at your setup that will make you cringe. How you connecting those NAS together? 1gbit, or 10gbit fiber? What controller you use to nest those raid 6's ? (I am just honestly curious)

Either way, what I learned from my time in IT is this: You better have off-site backup for that data

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 19, 2014, 23:20 eRe4s3r

Genesys wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 22:04:
Hey, with 4+TB hard drives going for under $150, and free essentially unlimited email accounts etc, why not keep everything?

Aside from the obvious "maybe you have something to hide" you'd be surprised how few datacenters actually use 4TB drives, or even 2TB drives. You ever had a raid? I have.. and you don't want to have a 4TB hdd in a raid fail... rebuild takes forever and during that time more HDD's in that raid WILL fail.

News Comments > World Wide Funder Refutes STALKER Apocalypse Collusion
15. Re: World Wide Funder Refutes STALKER Apocalypse Collusion Dec 19, 2014, 15:29 eRe4s3r

nin wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 15:04:
Rhialto wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 14:40:
Someone should involve Anonymous to give these shitheads a lesson.

Sorry, I don't know why I'm so rude, maybe because these guys are getting on my nerves in keeping trying to steal people... and being a fan of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I don't like when cowards use that name.

If they were just completely open and honest with people, I wouldn't mind. But then again, had they been open and honest the first time, and not engaged in asshollery, they wouldn't have had KS shut them down. It's the constant deception and unrealistic promises (remember, they were going to make this game on $50,000 for pc and various consoles) that piss me off, and make me want to help get the word out about who they really are.

Except 50000$ are worth a metric shit-ton of RUB nowadays. So that's probably even realistic. Assuming the studio sits in an area where employees are paid in RUB.

That's 2965575 RUB, YEARLY average wage in Russia is 30000 RUB So you could employ 100 people a year. Or 50 2 years, or 25 4 years. With that amount. And yeah, that's really insane when you think about it.

Heck, if you had made this deal when the RUB was really down the drain you could have gotten nearly 5000000RUB from 50000$ And I am not even joking.

Before you say "That's impossible" you need to REALLY learn how currency exchange rates work. A studio in fringe eastern european countries that are not in the EU could build a game like Stalker easily with 50000$. We have just forgotten this because our standard of living is so high , but it also means our standard living costs are EXTREMELY high.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Dec 19, 2014, 13:33 eRe4s3r

What's needed is a glove with force feedback, any controller you hold will completely fuck up your immersion once you do something that requires you to throw or touch something.

And without force-feedback that is able to do such a thing with at least 5mm precision (ie, you can feel the touch on the finger tip 1:1 to what you see in the game).

Anyway, I am getting VR purely for the "seated" sims at first, I don't think I want to be standing while playing a shooter. My natural reaction would be to move in reaction to stuff happening, and I don't think I could prevent my body from doing that before my mind overrides it.

Not to mention that it's a massive health hazard to be standing in a room with a giant VR shroud over your head and 2 controllers in your hand. I mean sure you could potentially remove "desks" from your room, but you still gonna have to have cables running everywhere, and a giant beefed up PC to power it all.

I am actually a bit undecided.. I want OLED screens for desktop, but I'd like to replace desktop also with a HOTAS style seat, except the real fancy ones, with car seat, movable trays for kb/mouse and paddle/hotas/thrust/wheel support.

The question is, will VR be supported by enough sims in the future to make this worthwhile? Will enough devs learn and apply lessons not to make people sick? (Doing a roll in a flight sim apparently is one of these things that gets you LITERALLY physically motion sick, because it's so unnatural) so I think the smoother sims (driving, diving, boats) are more easily adaptable to VR.. mhh ,)

Still hyped, but VR needs to be at least at 3800x2120 res otherwise you can't read a single gauge.

News Comments > Larian's "Leaked" RPG Plans
9. Re: Larian's Dec 19, 2014, 12:49 eRe4s3r

As long as Larian uses RadGameTools modability is essentially zero. What a huge downer that was. First they lure us with the claim we can mod it, then new monsters, weapons, spells, characters, races and items are locked from us.

Larian did not make a platform for great RPG's here. Any extension of this patchwork engine (including a scripting system that doesn't know "ELSE IF" and thus is a scripters nightmare) is only gonna end in further delays and buggyness.

I had so much hope for this games modding capabilities. But there are too many restrictions.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - 4K PC Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
6. Re: Ship Ahoy - 4K PC Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Dec 18, 2014, 22:19 eRe4s3r

Huh, is this the Metal Gear where you can build your giant oil rig base or was that something else? God I am getting confused with all these spin-offs...

I am probably thinking of the actual MTG 5 and not of the demo of MTG 5 If so, sorry.

News Comments > Minecraft: Story Mode - A Telltale Games Series Announced
10. Re: Minecraft: Story Mode - A Telltale Games Series Announced Dec 18, 2014, 20:59 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 19:26:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 19:21:
Julio wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 19:17:
I just haven't found any of the Telltale games good that I've tried. The story should be exceptionally exciting for these ones. I can only hope this is Xbox exclusive.

Ding. They are very boring point and click. There is VERY LITTLE if any difference in any of the game outcome for your decisions. It is a point and click book.

I loved The Walking Dead. They just did a great job making me care about Clem and Whatshisname.

They made you care so much you forgot whatshisname.... but really.. what the heck was his name? Leekiley something completely forgettable!

Ps.: I didn't like any Telltale game aside from Walking Dead. And even that is stretching the term game very widely. They are really more like interactive picture books. And having 5 different ones in development at the same time seems to hurt not just the overall speed of the various episodes but the quality and length too.

I didn't like that GoT version at all either.. and that's from a huge GOT fan ;/ It was simply too.. uh.. forced. You can't put the player into the dialog with already fully developed and fleshed out characters from Books/Show without giving us AMPLE time to actually get to know the characters we are playing. A proper GoT (telltale) episode should have started us with 1 character and a 2nd main in some dire situation that offers escape and some down time to get to know those 2 characters in-depth and with many interactions. It only further shows that Telltale lost track on what good story telling is (which is surprising after their great CLEM / LEE story, and I eagerly await how that resolves in the end) but all the other Telltale games have been largely very MEH material.

When you think about, the GoT episode also showed that the games are really just very boring point click games (as in, you click points and that's all you do aside from mashing E or whatever) when you remove the dialog. That GoT episode was also the first time a "first" telltale episode felt extremely rushed.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2014, 21:07.

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Game Reviews Dec 18, 2014, 13:29 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 11:38:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 10:46:
Itís Skyrim, GTA V and Star Trek, all wrapped up in one immersive, supremely playable package

Yep, except it's nothing like Skyrim nor GTA 5.... Heck if it were I'd have bought it even despite all the bullshit the devs pulled

In fact Elite 2 not being that is exactly why I backed Star Citizen.
I do get it. Elite is not for you obviously. You make it pretty obvious in every single Elite thread. I am sure SC will please you but that doesn't make Elite a bad game just not for you is all.

I personally haven't had so much fun in a space game in decades! Thank goodness it is nothing like GTA5 with a mini map showing you where to go for a new mission and shit like that. Than when you accept a mission a gps guides you there and the game tells you what to do, aka hand holding. Elite is the exact opposite of that.
The "empty" and relaxing nature of this game is what makes the action so freaking intense and exciting every single time.
Flying a ship feels like it should and not jerky and twitchy like in the SC beta so far.

Hope SC will turn out to be a great game as I backed it also but as of right now they will have to do something really special to top Elite in my eyes.
I couldn't care less for story in a video game. I read a book or watch a movie for a story. I play games for fun, and so far SC isn't fun for me, no matter how nice those $1,000 virtual space ships look.

I pretty much agree with your point ,) To each their own and yes, I think I went a bit over the top with my last line. My post was just about how absurd that comparison in the review was. Even if you like the game, you have to agree it is absolutely NOTHING like Skyrim or GTA 5 and that is exactly why some people like it and some don't.

Sorry if I sounded antagonistic.. enjoy the game if you like it. And you can still reserve a place to laugh at me should SC turn out to be a complete disaster. ^^

I admit I backed SC exclusively for Squadron 42, whatever falls off the wagon aside that.. is bonus. So I guess I am really not the target audience of this game

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 18, 2014, 10:46 eRe4s3r

Itís Skyrim, GTA V and Star Trek, all wrapped up in one immersive, supremely playable package

Yep, except it's nothing like Skyrim nor GTA 5.... Heck if it were I'd have bought it even despite all the bullshit the devs pulled

In fact Elite 2 not being that is exactly why I backed Star Citizen.

News Comments > Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns
151. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 18, 2014, 08:54 eRe4s3r

saluk wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 20:39:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 17:54:
Timmeh wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 17:30:
just watched the trailer.

Any culture that allows that to be made and published is destined for pain. It is also a complete travesty that there are so many people excited about playing this garbage.

Who will be responsible when someone gets inspired and acts this out in a community or school? Because it will happen. The more we normalize violence like this the more these kinds of choices will have a lasting and horrific effect on our culture and youth.

People can cry freedom all they want. There is no escape from the outcomes of choices we make that affect our minds as a people.

That is utter complete bullshit, any medium with the goal to be art has the right to offend you so badly that you run crying out of the digital room. And it should.

Fucks sake... literature that offends you shouldn't exist? Movies that offend you shouldn't exist? Games that offend you shouldn't exist? When will people like you learn that the first and highest goal of any artwork is to inspire emotions. It does not define what emotions, inspiring ANY emotion is what puts ART above TRASH

I don't want to live in a world filled with trash, rather I want to have access to media that insults me, that shocks me, that makes me think, that stirs my emotions and inspires me to be a better person than be peddled the same mindless dumbed down shit you seem to love.

Any form of art has a right to exist. To deny it's existence is akin to censorship of the purest and most evil kind. That of thoughts.

Do we have to include all of the "trash" alongside peggle and the like? Though that is probably a flaw in the steam storefront more than anything else. Appealing to art always leaves me a bit cold. Not every art gallery shows the same pieces. The gallery itself tends to collect like-minded art together in groups, and the person who wants to avoid offense will usually be warned if a showing has very graphic, controversial, or offensive works.

Moreover, if art can have real power or impact, than surely it can affect a persons actions. You cannot say both "a game cannot incite a person to commit a crime" and "a game is an art form that can evoke an emotional response in a person. I would never argue that a single game is going to turn a good kid into a mass murderer - but a culture of violence that is then reflected in what people find "fun" is a culture that I see continuing to encourage and produce malcontents. It's a wide ranging issue with many variables and we can never hope to make people not be violent, lol. And I've played some depraved games in my time and enjoyed them, especially as an angsty teen.

But I take issue with the idea that it's "just a game". And I take issue with the idea that valve pretends to both have control over their store and then tries to say it's a free place. Indie developers have to fight tooth and nail to get their games listed. Some really idiotic murder simulator comes along, valve pretends to play the storefront card; but oh no, it's probably going to make money and hurt their bottom line. So then they pretend its an open market.

I would much rather the market were actually open. Let's get those hentai games on steam!

In other news, Sony has pulled the Interview from theaters because of hackers and bomb threats. Another case of a stupid movie whose sole purpose is to rile people up. If that is your purpose, do not be surprised when it works!

I am never going to say that art of any kind is not able to influence a human to do things, good or bad. Because I am not stupid (I like to assume that, anyway). Of course a human can be influenced by any outside influence, be it a game, a book or a movie, another person, or an event. Most stable personalities are not easily influenced however.

Steam could get the entire DLSite catalog. Now that'd cause a big ruckus

News Comments > StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer Details
1. Re: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer Details Dec 17, 2014, 19:46 eRe4s3r

Ah yes.. that mysterious 3rd episode.. haha  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 17, 2014, 18:14 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 13:33:
And what about the liability insurance in all of this?

You think a repricer has insurance? Would you insure someone that runs millions of prices through a script and adjusts them based on average prices on Amazon with ZERO human control? The only clause in their TOS basically says "We fuck up, you get at most a year worth of license fees back, and not a single cent more"

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 17, 2014, 18:06 eRe4s3r

Julio wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 11:35:
Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 09:46:
So who's fault was it? They're the ones responsible. They certainly can't turn around and charge people more after the fact. I understand their position but it's hardly the consumer's fault and a contract is a contract.

To me the third party price setting company was at fault, and possibly the market vendors who used them. If someone chooses to not control their own pricing, things like this happen.

I do feel sorry for the businesses this happened to, and I wouldn't be the type to order all of their stock. But they do need to honor their pricing too.

Repricer Express ( http://www.repricerexpress.com/ ) is the name of the company that fucked up, and they should be held accountable. That's what you get for paying second rate companies.

They have this in their TOS

2.4. You shall indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Licensor against claims, actions, proceedings, losses, damages, expenses and costs (including without limitation court costs and reasonable legal fees) arising out of or in connection with your use of the services offered by the Software and/or Documentation or any part thereof or any breach of the terms of this Licence.

Classic piece of shit company. Handle payment and price adjustment, zero responsibility. Likely a computer algo doing the work.

News Comments > Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns
108. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 17, 2014, 17:54 eRe4s3r

Timmeh wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 17:30:
just watched the trailer.

Any culture that allows that to be made and published is destined for pain. It is also a complete travesty that there are so many people excited about playing this garbage.

Who will be responsible when someone gets inspired and acts this out in a community or school? Because it will happen. The more we normalize violence like this the more these kinds of choices will have a lasting and horrific effect on our culture and youth.

People can cry freedom all they want. There is no escape from the outcomes of choices we make that affect our minds as a people.

That is utter complete bullshit, any medium with the goal to be art has the right to offend you so badly that you run crying out of the digital room. And it should.

Fucks sake... literature that offends you shouldn't exist? Movies that offend you shouldn't exist? Games that offend you shouldn't exist? When will people like you learn that the first and highest goal of any artwork is to inspire emotions. It does not define what emotions, inspiring ANY emotion is what puts ART above TRASH

I don't want to live in a world filled with trash, rather I want to have access to media that insults me, that shocks me, that makes me think, that stirs my emotions and inspires me to be a better person than be peddled the same mindless dumbed down shit you seem to love.

Any form of art has a right to exist. To deny it's existence is akin to censorship of the purest and most evil kind. That of thoughts.

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 17, 2014, 08:37 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 00:29:
On the plus side, Comcast just doubled the speeds of all their internet tiers here. I went from getting 55mps to 126mbps. Up is still 11mbps.

I'll very happily take it.

And in other news, Germany has a whopping 0.12% spread of fiber connections above 100mbit.

0.12% in Germany! The only thing I can even get here is 16mbit. And I really do not live in the boonies.

Ps.: The real joke is the upload speed, 50kb/s

News Comments > Vox Machinae VR Demo
11. Re: Vox Machinae VR Demo Dec 16, 2014, 08:21 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 07:31:
Tom wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 06:55:
InBlack wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 05:16:
Ok I just pored over their website and the features of this upcoming game. I cant test the demo since I dont have a DK2 (TrackIR FTW). I have a few questions, perhaps those who are following the game's progress could help me out.

Will the game work without an Oculus once its released?

You turn your head in order to aim, so it could work with TrackIR I think, but you'd definitely need some sort of headtracking. This game is built for VR though. It would be a lesser experience on a monitor.

Im sure it would. Im also reasonably sure that CV1 will be released by the time this sees the light of day. However they will be shooting themselves in the foot if they create a game that requires a rift. This kind of thing killed the space sim genre back in the day, and the games back then required a much less expensive peripheral than a VR kit. (The joystick)

On the other hand, the joystick needed a break-through game (I have honestly no idea which one that was) for me that was definitely Strike Commander and Wing Commander

But for VR that is thousandfold more true. You need a group of games when CV1 releases that don't just have good VR but that genuinely blow our expectations out of the water and define what "good VR" is for decades to come

I hope the CV1 blows everything away in terms of wow effect but until it is out we don't really know. (You DK2 owners sure make it sound tasty though)

Is the immersion effect high in that mech sim? Do you really feel the weight, really feel inside a mech?

News Comments > Hatred Gets Steam Redlight
54. Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 08:12 eRe4s3r

Quboid wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 23:07:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 22:15:
bigspender wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 22:04:
mellis wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 20:45:
Shame really that such censorship exists. If they replaced 'people' with 'zombies' - no one would bat an eyelid.

That's because there is a massive different between cold blooded slaughter of innocents for "fun" vs fighting for survival against a monster (that is already dead anyway).

In a game? What's the difference? You press a button, animation plays, scripts fire, particles fly from emitters, models play animations, red decal left behind... such difference, what amaze!

In case you didn't get my lame meme use, I am saying, there is no friggin gameplay difference AT ALL. You are arguing over how a model looks, not how gameplay is.

If you replaced all l4d zombies with babies, nuns and angels it would change nothing about the gameplay.

He is right to do so. Gameplay, as a series of context-less interactions, is irrelevant - the controversy has always been about the context of these interactions. Shooting enemy soldiers in CoD was generally considered fine, shooting civilians in MW2 wasn't. Same gameplay, different models.

(Edit: Sepharo, the very first post did!)

Well that's fair and all, and something for reviewers and customers to decide.. not a store front. Store fronts, especially the near monopoly that is Steam, should never censor greenlit games with 13000+ votes (that's more votes than 1x Doug Lombardi).

If they really worried about the content, put a Mature tag on it (notice how Steam does still not have a age check....) and let reviews decide. If it's a piece of shit game then that'll become clear once it's out. But censoring something based on hearsay is bullshit, imo.

Ps.: And yeah, I would totally prefer a l4d with abstract shapes, just fyi ;p I play such games purely for the gameplay, not for their "intent". Only in RPG's, where good writing makes me *care* would I draw lines. And there it is even more problematic, because when I draw lines there that means writers censor themselves and don't explore the full capability of this medium.

Censorship is never the solution.

News Comments > Hatred Gets Steam Redlight
18. Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 15, 2014, 22:15 eRe4s3r

bigspender wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 22:04:
mellis wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 20:45:
Shame really that such censorship exists. If they replaced 'people' with 'zombies' - no one would bat an eyelid.

That's because there is a massive different between cold blooded slaughter of innocents for "fun" vs fighting for survival against a monster (that is already dead anyway).

In a game? What's the difference? You press a button, animation plays, scripts fire, particles fly from emitters, models play animations, red decal left behind... such difference, what amaze!

In case you didn't get my lame meme use, I am saying, there is no friggin gameplay difference AT ALL. You are arguing over how a model looks, not how gameplay is.

If you replaced all l4d zombies with babies, nuns and angels it would change nothing about the gameplay.

News Comments > Vox Machinae VR Demo
1. Re: Vox Machinae VR Demo Dec 15, 2014, 21:59 eRe4s3r

*bookmarked for that mysterious time the OR will finally release CV1 ;p

Because it sure looks interesting.

7416 Comments. 371 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo