Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steven Dunn

Real Name Steven Dunn   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Gaidal
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 27, 2009, 16:56
Total Comments 3 (Suspect)
User ID 54723

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2013, 17:52 Gaidal

nin wrote on May 2, 2013, 13:16:
Gaidal wrote on May 2, 2013, 11:37:
Blue, thanks for fixing. Is there any way that someone can track down the JavaScript error when browsing here from mobile Safari with an iPhone 5? Can get around it by disabling JS but makes the background stark white and hard to read. Can send a screenshot if that helps.

With my 4s, I don't get any errors, but sometimes the screen is white and hard to read. I find switching back and forth between the "new blue/retro colors" fixes it. But it happens at random....

Yup, that's what I'm talking about. I can't get it not to be white unless I disable JavaScript

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2013, 11:37 Gaidal

Blue, thanks for fixing. Is there any way that someone can track down the JavaScript error when browsing here from mobile Safari with an iPhone 5? Can get around it by disabling JS but makes the background stark white and hard to read. Can send a screenshot if that helps.  

News Comments > On Fallout 3
36. Re: On Fallout 3 Jan 27, 2009, 11:58 Gaidal

Perhaps not, but it certainly needs to engage you with the story. Stories are about people, and in order for those people to be interesting, there needs to be conflict. There is nothing interesting about a story of a man sleeping peacefully. That story only becomes interesting when that man is disrupted from his sleep by a strange sound coming from the basement, or when he begins to dream. Sometimes it is enough to pique our curiosity (what could that sound in the basement be?) in order for a story to have drama. Often times though, stories depend upon our caring about a character. If we don't care about Frodo and Sam, why would be interested in their journey to Mt. Doom? I actually didn't like the LotR movies for this very reason: Frodo and Sam as portrayed in the movies were whiny martyrs with a bizarre homoerotic undercurrent to their interactions. As a result, whenever the scene shifted away from Aragorn and Gandalf, I lost interest.

If we can't connect with characters and their struggles, then we cannot connect with the story. Such a story become mere data to be absorbed, sterile plot points that exist only to setup the next special effects sequence or action set piece. Good writing tells a story that we want to hear. Great writing tells a story that we want to hear, and presents us with characters and situations that make us think about bigger issues, i.e. themes. The best writing treats themes that touch the core of what it means to be human, transcending time and place and becoming something that speaks to all people everywhere at least on some level.

I don't expect the best writing from video games. Honestly, I don't think video games and video game makers are capable of such writing. I don't even expect great writing from video games. I do however expect good writing, at least from story driven games. Daddy, Project Purity, and the Enclave didn't engage me on any level, more often inspiring audible groans than anything else (Mom's dialogue at birth, I'm looking at you!).
There are definitely some smatterings of good writing in FO3, but I don't think anyone is going to mistake it for War and Peace, or even PS:T. My personal favorite for the game is the story of the Ghoul in the Underground (? Linda... can't remember) who tells the story of the day the bombs fell in D.C. I thought it was an outstanding bit of narrative and the voice actor gave it tremendous depth.

3 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo