Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jon

Real Name Jon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jonny
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 22, 2009, 07:50
Total Comments 494 (Amateur)
User ID 54712

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Old Republic Lead Designer: "We Are Looking At Free-to-Play"
37. Re: The Old Republic Lead Designer: Jun 15, 2012, 06:39 Jonny

Kajetan wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 06:22:
Jonny wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 05:47:
I'd personally prefer it if they stripped the MMO shit out, repackaged it as a singleplayer game with co-op and sold mini expansions.
There is the possibility that EA closes Bioware, making an EA Edmonton with the remaining staff and just do Dragon Ages, Mass Effect-Prequels and KOTORs till the end of time. Heck, they might just re-activate the Neverwinter or Baldurs Gate franchise to make a good buck with mass appeal fantasy action games for the console market.

It's free of risk, people will buy that. Even a Dragon Age 2 wasn't a commercial flop, it made its fair share of money.

They've done that already haven't they? Bioware haven't had an original concept since the first Mass Effect and even that was jammed to the gills with standard Bioware and sci-fi clichés. Their name is already worthless after EA appropriated it for an RTS developer with no actual ties to the original company.

This has all happened plenty of times before with EA. Hell, maybe in fifteen years time we'll all be bitching about the new EA online content delivery system, Bioware.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Old Republic Lead Designer: "We Are Looking At Free-to-Play"
35. Re: The Old Republic Lead Designer: Jun 15, 2012, 05:47 Jonny

Slashman wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 00:45:
Retard-friendly! I'm thinking I should save that quote somewhere for future reference 'cause that's exactly how I think of WoW.

WoW isn't retard friendly, it's normal person friendly, which is why it's such a massive success. I've encountered everyone from grannies and housewives to businessmen with heavy workloads to the cliched students and unemployed with lots of time to waste. I've not encountered such a range roaming lowsec in Eve, and CCP doesn't pretend to cater to them.

WoW provides a wide range of things to do at many difficulties and time requirements, TOR doesn't. You either PvP, run flashpoints/operations or roll another alt and play through 95% of the exact same content.

When the more "hardcore" reached 50 and rapidly ran out of things to do at the new year they were mocked for burning content and complaining, but now the more casual players are reaching the same conclusion and even finding it worse, because many casual MMO players don't regularly PvP or Raid.

If they want to save this I'd suspect they'd need to ditch the godawful raid or die model and refocus on what they did best, the story centred leveling. However, with the production costs they've burdened themselves with, is it even possible to release such content regularly enough even if they sold it in a cash shop through F2P?

I'd personally prefer it if they stripped the MMO shit out, repackaged it as a singleplayer game with co-op and sold mini expansions.

News Comments > EVE Online Inferno Ignites This Month
3. Re: EVE Online Inferno Ignites This Month May 12, 2012, 06:46 Jonny

NKD wrote on May 12, 2012, 01:08:
In before that one weird guy who in three years has only posted about 30 times to rag on CCP.

But... five years ago they gave some blueprints to an alliance that no longer exists, in a scandal that everyone's forgotten about. If that's not worth a multi-year forum crusade, what is?

News Comments > Mists of Pandaria Beta Live
11. Re: Mists of Pandaria Beta Live Mar 22, 2012, 11:54 Jonny

avianflu wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 11:45:
Furry plump panda bears of all things? Are they appealing to kids?

Given that the theme of the expansion is the brutality of war between Alliance and Horde, culminating in the Horde's Warchief doing something so horrendous even his own people turn on him, I'd guess it's not more kid-targeted than it usually is.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2012, 04:08 Jonny

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 23:35:
Our Drug Task Force is self funded via confiscations, etc. There are a lot of departments that went to this model.

Doing nothing and legalizing drugs is not the answer.

That's still your money that the criminal organisations have drained out of the economy in the first place. Taking back a tiny percentage of the money that otherwise would be legitimately circulating does not make them self funded.

The War on Drugs has been going for 40 years. In that time drug use and ease of access has gone up alongside drug related violence. You might as well just make the damn things legal, then they can be controlled, quality assured and taxed. You also then pull the rug out from under the criminal organisations making billions per year in this industry.

There's even a precedent for it, during Prohibition era America the booze gangs made more money than the US government and they were ruined overnight just by making booze legal again.

If a demand exists for a product, then suppliers will fill that demand no matter what the government thinks about it. All making it illegal does is put the whole industry in the hands of people who have no qualms about breaking the law.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2012, 20:03 Jonny

What I love about the Netherlands article are these two paragraphs next to each other:

Another of those backing a ban, Christian Democrat legislator Coskun Coruz, said he hoped the ban would reduce consumption.

Studies show marijuana use in the Netherlands is roughly half that of the United States, where it is illegal.

I wonder just how many trillions of dollars America and Europe have lost during the "War on Drugs" whether directly syphoned from the economy into criminal gangs, spent on enforcement and lost through habit funding crimes or indirectly through lost potential taxation.

But, hey, at least they've succeeded in making sure illegal drugs aren't readily available everywhere in the western world, right? Rolleyes

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans
49. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 27, 2012, 05:30 Jonny

Creston wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 23:51:
On topic : Has anyone played through several of the classes' storylines? Are they different enough to warrant playing through them, or are even those just variations of "go here and kill X of Y?"

The Class storylines are interesting, although they sometimes have time sink travel across the galaxy, click on a guy, come right back quests. The problem comes with everything else, they're so hugely outnumbered by the side quests and planet quest lines that are exactly the same for every class that unless you're the type of guy who played Mass Effect 14 times you won't be able to stand it.

You could very slowly level through PvP or grinding Flashpoints and only do your class quests per world I suppose, but that would probably be just as dull unless you're a real fan of either. If you want to quest though you're stuck repeating the same content, unlike most MMO's which give you at least two places per level bracket TOR has one straight line you must follow.

Surprising to hear so many people quitting after a month and a half. What did everyone do when WoW was just released and had (virtually) no content for high end?

I never played vanilla WoW, but from what I understand it took two months of regular play to even hit the level cap. I had early access and played over Christmas holidays, my Bounty Hunter hit 50 before the end of the month. I wasn't even dodging the usual Holiday activities over that period either.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans
13. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 13:06 Jonny

Pigeon wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 12:19:
Is there no end-game content? No end dungeons, raids, large group quests and/or tedious grinding quests to continue the story?

It's got dungeons, raids and some really dull dailies, but for a game that's so solo friendly and KotoR 3+ branded there's nothing else to do. Mainstream MMOs now tend to have a playerbase that, in majority, doesn't regularly PvP, doesn't raid and doesn't give a shit about hard content. So TOR's PvP, raid or harder versions of dungeons you've already done comes across as a lack of content despite having reasonable amounts to do for people who do like those activities.

I've not played for a month, as it got a bit like replaying a singleplayer game immediately after you've finished it, but I'll go back for a while later in the year to try out the updates. Need roll only on items you can use will make pugging Flashpoints much better all by itself.

News Comments > BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC
4. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 24, 2012, 09:53 Jonny

nin wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 09:38:
They did the same thing for ME2, didn't they? Thought they did - name started with a Z-whatever.

Zaeed I think, a mercenary bloke. As far as I remember that was free providing you bought a new copy of Mass Effect 2, unless you shelled out top dollar for the CE this one will cost $10.

I'm on the fence about DLC most of the time, if you don't want it don't buy it and apparently this guy knows nothing about any of the Prothean lore in game anyway, but 1/6th of the sale price for a mission, some fluff and a squadmate with no major bearing on the story seems a bit steep.

News Comments > EVE Online Plans Outlined
9. Re: EVE Online Plans Outlined Feb 23, 2012, 15:32 Jonny

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 12:46:
Wow. I didn't understand a word of that. Didn't sound good though.

Heh, Eve has three main blocks of space, high security, low security and null security. Players can't claim high or low security systems, but in return they're protected to an extent by NPC security forces, especially in high sec. In null sec, alliances of player corporations can claim and hold territory but there is no NPC protection whatsoever. It's a free PvP zone.

Naturally the majority of players stay in High sec where they're relatively safe. However because there's no need to band together for safety they're spread over thousands of small corporations and solo players. Whereas in null sec, despite having a much lower population, the dynamics of living out there consolidate the players into a much smaller number of massive alliances.

So, when voting happens to elect players onto the Council of Stellar Management (the liason body between the playerbase and the developers) the delegates from null sec nearly always win the votes, because while high sec denizens outnumber null sec three to one they're not a focused voting bloc while the null sec alliances are.

So with a CSM loaded with delegates from null sec alliances and CCP themselves viewing going to null sec as the ultimate Eve "endgame" it's often accused of being biased against other forms of playing Eve and in cahoots with CCP trying to force people into nullsec.

Eve politics are often more interesting than playing the game.

News Comments > EVE Online Plans Outlined
7. Re: EVE Online Plans Outlined Feb 23, 2012, 11:32 Jonny

Bard wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 09:11:
So basically what he said is correct then? that's sad.

No, out of 12 posts he's got 2 that aren't bitching about Eve or CCP. The T20 reference is about a CCP dev, they play the game and join alliances like everyone else, but in 2006/07 T20 gave his alliance blueprints that gave them an edge over others.

There was a huge row over it, the developer in question doesn't work for them anymore, the alliance in question doesn't exist any more and CCP set up measures to monitor developer accounts to stop it happening again, but some people just won't let it go.

Unless he's moaning about the Council of Stellar Management, but while people who aren't nullbears tend to complain about the CSM's obvious bias towards nullsec created by the distribution of voting blocs ( and shared by CCP as it's blatantly their favourite play style) I've never seen anything like he's describing.

News Comments > BlackSpace Revealed
3. Re: BlackSpace Revealed Feb 22, 2012, 18:39 Jonny

Truly the worst trailer I've ever seen. However despite that I'm interested in this one, Fragile Alliance was one of my favourite games when I was at school and if it can capture some of the magic of that game I'll enjoy it.  

News Comments > Blizzard Sues Over DOTA TM
22. Re: Blizzard Sues Over DOTA TM Feb 10, 2012, 11:34 Jonny

ViRGE wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 11:03:
Red wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 10:25:
The person who created dota did so in blizzard's engine. It's certainly blizzard's more than valve's.
No more than AutoDesk owns Transformers because 3dsMax was used to assemble the models. Being the toolmaker confers no ownership of the finished product (unless there's a contract stating otherwise, i.e. the free version of Unreal Engine 3).

Blizzard certainly has no standing to own the DotA trademark. The only party that has any standing is Valve, and even then it's not immediately clear that they should get it.

As far as I know game modding works differently, if the EULA for the map editor in WC3 was anything like Bethesda's Construction Set, then absolutely everything made with it technically belongs to Blizzard.

I never worked with the WC3 mapmaker, but when I modded Morrowind it was well known that Bethesda could, if it wanted, assert ownership over everything you released via the TESCS that wasn't covered by a pre-existing license.

News Comments > Hold Your ME3 Save Games
18. Re: Hold Your ME3 Save Games Feb 5, 2012, 07:48 Jonny

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 4, 2012, 17:30:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 4, 2012, 17:22:
Keep hearing good things about the novels, might be the next thing I pickup after I finish the Dark Tower series.
The first 3 books were pretty good. Though the 4th book has some pretty lackluster reviews, since it's a different author.

I've read some of William C. Dietz' game novels and they've all been awful in a league all their own. When he writes a direct novelization of a game he tends to just write exactly what you do in the game with the barest minimum of extra effort.

The Dark Forces novella, for example, has lines like "Kyle ran down the corridor, an Imperial officer appeared to his left, Katarn shot him and scooped up the large red key he dropped."

News Comments > Star Trek Online Turns Two
15. Re: Star Trek Online Turns Two Feb 3, 2012, 05:25 Jonny

There's a difficulty toggle that's set to Normal by default, I don't know if you've seen it but it might make the ground missions more difficult for you.

I really don't like the ground portions either, they feel clunky and tacked on next to the smooth and enjoyable space portions. I particularly dislike fighting the Borg on the ground as for some reason they decided to keep that adaptation mechanic. Fire off a few blasts and the goddamn swarm of Borg drones heading towards you is immune to your weapon until you faff about with a remodulator thingy for a couple of seconds.

When the best thing about a ground mission is blasting through it to get it done as fast as possible that is not a fun mechanic.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Figures Include DLC
2. Re: Mass Effect 3 Figures Include DLC Jan 23, 2012, 20:01 Jonny

Isn't Mass Effect an 18 rated series? Why are they flogging plastic toys for it?

Or are these the adult sculpture things that totally aren't plastic toys in any way and are, instead, a perfectly legitimate PVC Collector's Item?

News Comments > The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer
10. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 15:53 Jonny

Not an awesome presentation. Another warzone would be good, but unless it's faction neutral like Huttball anyone on the Imperial side will still just get Huttball 80% of the time.

Other than that some vague info, nothing more substantial about the legacy system and they've been working for a year on a couple of Flashpoints when I don't believe I've seen anyone complain about the lack of Flashpoints at 50, just the lack of anything else.

I really wanted to enjoy this and spend a lot of time lost in the world, but I've just lost interest faster than with any other MMO I've played besides STO. It's disappointing.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 13, 2012, 18:48 Jonny

Can't do it the other way around, as far as I'm aware. David Blunkett signed a truly moronic extradition treaty when he was Home Secretary, which basically gave America the right to extradite British Citizens without providing the kind of evidence a British court would need to convict while we can't do the same in return.  

News Comments > The Old Republic Update Next Week
17. Re: The Old Republic Update Next Week Jan 13, 2012, 13:20 Jonny

Alamar wrote on Jan 13, 2012, 12:22:
Jonny wrote on Jan 13, 2012, 04:51:
...GW2 are all expanding what they offer for people to do at endgame.

Could you elaborate on this? Maybe there's been an announcement I missed (could be, been busy playing SWTOR), but GW2 has less endgame than just about any massive I've looked at... In the last 8 or so years...

I was thinking about the Dynamic Events system: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/dynamic-events/dynamic-events-overview/

No Raids, just dynamically generated events from solo up to guild size. I don't know if they'll pull it off or not, but it sounds interesting and a change from Raids/Instances/BGs.

I actually enjoyed playing TOR, until I hit 50. Then I rolled an alt and I'm enjoying it again, until I hit 50 again probably. With such an emphasis on solo play, storytelling and individual instances I was just surprised there's nothing like it at 50 and no upcoming plans to add anything other than operations, flashpoints or warzones.

News Comments > The Old Republic Update Next Week
11. Re: The Old Republic Update Next Week Jan 13, 2012, 09:36 Jonny

1-49 very similar to Bioware singleplayer RPGs, 50 bog standard MMO raid or die. Got that? It wasn't a complicated concept.

As for complaining about a comparison to WoW, it's the market leader. I'm well aware it didn't invent the concepts it uses.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2012, 09:43.

494 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo