Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for DStyle

Real Name DStyle   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Zardoz5
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 16, 2009, 18:45
Total Comments 222 (Novice)
User ID 54704

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Server Outage
27. Re: EA Server Outage Mar 11, 2010, 12:07 Zardoz5

I've Got The News Blues wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 10:19:
Verno wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 08:57:
They've only had 10 years of Battlefield games to figure it out.
That's just it. EA doesn't have that experience running a master server infrastructure for the Battlefield series or any popular FPS game because it has always farmed that out to Gamespy in the past. EA has only run the master servers for Medal of Honor Pacific and Airborne, and it has already pulled the plug on Pacific because unlike the other Medal of Honor games, no one played it. If EA wasn't such a cheap bastard and a control freak, it would have hired Gamespy to perform these functions for this game too.

Gamespy has been in the business of running a gaming server infrastructure for 15 years for a reason. It knows what it is doing because that is its core business. But, EA wanted to save some money and be able to pull the plug on the game at some point, so it is hosting the servers for this game in-house. That is the problem. EA doesn't know what the hell it is doing because it doesn't have the experience at doing this.

EA screwed up big time by not opening the PC Beta to the public and testing their new server infrastructure with a realistic load before releasing the game. Then again they probably knew what the end result would be what we are seeing today. I never thought I would be sad to see GameSpy go but at least it worked quite reliably for the most part.

Why do you say that they can't pull online support for a game if they used GameSpy tech for it? I recall the ToS in all other BF games stating they can pull the plug after giving 30 days of notice.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More BC2 VIP DLC This Month
9. Re: More BC2 VIP DLC This Month Mar 11, 2010, 11:48 Zardoz5

This game really, really needs more maps. 4 or 5 maps of each game type is to low a number, I'm already getting tired of some of them.

These maps had better be free since they are existing maps just reconfigured for a different game mode. They used to give you those maps at launch, but now you are supposed to feel privileged for getting stuff that should be part of the release package. It would be like getting the 64-player versions of maps in BF2 for free DLC. Hooray!

To me it feels like they are trickling out content that should already be in the game so they can make press releases like this to make themselves look good compared to IW. How about giving your customers the content without the marketing lalala. Oh and a server infrastructure that actually works. GameSpy doesn't look so bad after all.

News Comments > New Mass Effect 2 Weapon on the Cerberus Network
1. Re: New Mass Effect 2 Weapon on the Cerberus Network Mar 9, 2010, 16:17 Zardoz5

Although they are doing this mainly to prime us for DLC that you have to pay for, its nice that they are giving some free stuff in the interim.  

News Comments > Ex-Infinity Ward Bosses Sue
37. Re: Ex-Infinity Ward Bosses Sue Mar 4, 2010, 16:42 Zardoz5

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2010, 15:33:
Wow, reading further through those court documents - Activision only paid $5mil for Infinity Ward. They've made over $3bil from the CoD franchise in total and they're dicking these guys out of 20-30mil. Bobby Kotick is truly the worlds greediest son of a bitch.
I don't think its about money so much as West and Zampella had veto power over MW and CoD games (made after the Vietnam era). My guess is that Activision wanted to make games that the two had vetoed and Kotick wanted control back and they only way to get it before 2011 was to fire them. Not paying them royalties was probably just the icing on Kotick's cake.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Ships, Day One Patch Released
38. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Ships, Day One Patch Released Mar 2, 2010, 19:55 Zardoz5

Bucky wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 19:30:
If only the server browser would show pings. All I get is a -. *sigh* Still, having a blast and it's my first time into the Battlefield series.

Now to keep playing so I can unlock the damn medkit.

Run as Admin will make it work, even though you shouldn't have to do that.

News Comments > Infinity Ward Heads Axed?
11. Re: Infinity Ward Heads Axed? Mar 2, 2010, 11:15 Zardoz5

Grifter wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 11:10:
whats funny to me is this news comes on the day Bad Company 2 comes out

Ha ha yeah, what are the odds that the two events line up so closely. I'm sure ActiBlizz prob acted yesterday because it was Mar 1 and wanted to make a clean break at the beginning of the month.

News Comments > Infinity Ward Heads Axed?
8. Re: Infinity Ward Heads Axed? Mar 2, 2010, 10:28 Zardoz5

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 10:19:
Lets see if we can come up with cool reasons why this is:

1. They spoke up and said they wanted dedicated servers
2. They said they wanted lean
3. They wanted to try and put in mod tools to stop aimbots, hacks, etc.
4. In an open air meeting they said they wanted to add kick tools
5. ....

5. They tried to pull a Bungie and leave ActiBlizz but instead Bobby canned their asses.
6. Bobby wanted them to make a FPS that actually takes advantage of the PC's platform strengths and they said no, so Bobby canned their asses.
7. Bobby found out he wasn't invited to the "Hooka's and Blow" MW release parties and canned their asses.
8. Bobby realized he could save alot of money by canning the two most expensive execs at IW and mold it in his own image by removing the brass at IW and canned their asses.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2010, 10:38.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 1, 2010, 13:56 Zardoz5

Bhruic wrote on Mar 1, 2010, 12:43:
If none of those games are even remotely interesting to you then it's time to find a new hobby and no that isn't sarcasm or even a slight at you.

There are plenty of decent games on the PC these days. Unfortunately, none of them are on that list.

I find a few of those games on the list interesting and will probably end up getting a few of them. That being said, what are some of these games not on the list you are referring too?

News Comments > No WinXP Support in Just Cause 2
92. Re: No WinXP Support in Just Cause 2 Feb 24, 2010, 13:05 Zardoz5

Umbragen wrote on Feb 24, 2010, 12:12:
As to the actual arguments: as long as the XBox is the lead platform for the bulk of PC games - Windows XP ain't going anywhere.

Just 'cause the XBox 360 has DX9 graphics hardware doesn't mean that all developers will continue to want to use DX9 in PC games. Doing so would make for easy XBox to PC ports, but developers would then be unable to utilize DX10/DX11 features by sticking with DX9. Some current games like Battlefield Bad Co. 2 are going to be compatible with DX9/DX10/DX11, but one of DICE's lead graphics devs tweeted he is glad someone is leading the charge away from DX9:

"Great! And about time. RT @ivanassen: Hurray for Just Cause 2 and the guts to drop XP/DX9! Pave the way and take the flak guys :-)"

http://twitter.com/repi/status/9547468924

I'm sure game companies are doing a cost benefit analysis of keeping DX9/DX10/DX11 support for their games. Dropping DX9/XP would drop QA and development costs and would allow you to develop a game engine that utilizes DX10/DX11 to the maximum. In order for Square to make their decision the cost of losing XP customers must be fairly close to the costs of developing and testing the game for XP/DX9.

Looking at the Steam hardware survey probably helped them make their decision easier, given that Vista/7 users make up nearly 50% of the respondents, with another 27% of people being able to utilize DX10 but are still running XP.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

News Comments > Battlefield 3 "Will Blow People Away"
32. Re: Battlefield 3 Feb 23, 2010, 13:08 Zardoz5

KilrathiAce wrote on Feb 23, 2010, 10:00:
"What the PC version is going to be, Battlefield 3, I think it's going to absolutely blow everyone away, but I can't tell you what it is, but it will blow people away."

Before he gets all emotional and starts talking hype, let's find out whether PC version will actually be designed with PC in mind and not just console port. If so, support it with facts. Further, will dedicated servers be available free and multiplatform? What about SDK and mod support? If answers are what PC fps players are looking for then we can start talking hype, until then cut the bs.

This guy used to work at DICE so we won't see him giving any detailed info about BF3, unless he wants to get sued. With 1943 and MoH reboot in the pipe for this year we probably won't hear anything official about BF3 until late 2010 or 2011 even.

That being said, I like you hope its being designed with the PC as the lead SKU and consoles getting "streamlined" versions of it, win/win! BioWare did this with Dragon Age so I hope DICE follows their lead with this game development philosophy.

News Comments > Bad Company 2 Mod Support "Out of the Question" at Release
14. Re: Bad Company 2 Mod Support Feb 17, 2010, 13:30 Zardoz5

Zyrxil wrote on Feb 17, 2010, 11:36:
They also announced they're doing free DLC like Mass Effect 2 for new copies of the game which was part of what convinced me to preorder. I'm glad they aren't going to try nickle and diming consumers like they did with BF: Heroes.

Did they? Aren't the preorder bonuses just some normal unlocks unlocked at the beginning?

The back of the 360 version boxart popped up showing that there is going to be free DLC, look at the top right corner.

http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/fms/Image.php?image=http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/images/bf2news/200634_lback.jpg

I'm guessing/hoping its going to be more multiplayer maps.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Spoiler Hint and Map Details
3. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 WW2 Hint and Map Details Feb 6, 2010, 16:45 Zardoz5

Yeah a spoiler hint in the headline and not the spoiler itself would've been nice, though every game site will prob do the same thing.  

News Comments > PC Mass Effect 2 Dual Core Fix
2. Re: PC Mass Effect 2 Dual Core Fix Feb 6, 2010, 14:31 Zardoz5

Zyrxil wrote on Feb 6, 2010, 14:15:
Strange, I have a Core2Duo and haven't experienced this at all.

Same here. I have a 6850 Dual Core running Win 7. and the game runs smooth for me.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Spoiler Hint and Map Details
1. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 WW2 Hint and Map Details Feb 6, 2010, 14:28 Zardoz5

I wonder if the writers of the single player campaign were fans of Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. The book jumps between WWII and modern day story lines. From wikipedia:

"The novel follows the exploits of two groups of people in two different time periods. The first is World War II-era Allied codebreakers and tactical-deception operatives affiliated with the Government Code and Cypher School at Bletchley Park. The second narrative is set in the present day with descendants of the first narrative's characters employing cryptologic, telecom and computer technology to build an underground data haven in the Sultanate of Kinakuta."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptonomicon

Its one of my fav. books, definitely worth the read if the above synopsis interests you.

News Comments > BioShock 2 Multiplayer Interview
5. Re: BioShock 2 Multiplayer Interview Feb 2, 2010, 12:05 Zardoz5

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Feb 2, 2010, 10:59:
Multiplayer this Multiplayer that..

If there is ONE game that did NOT need MP it's the sequel to Bioshock. Yet ALL they can talk about is that fucking MP.
Yup, I'd prefer they focus ALL of their resources on making a great single-player sequel to BioShock. Any time/money making a so-so multiplayer game that people won't be playing after a few months could've been spent on the single player game. I guess it is Digital Extremes making the multi so it may not be completely terrible...

News Comments > Free Radical Working on Crysis 2
1. Re: Free Radical Working on Crysis 2 Jan 27, 2010, 11:18 Zardoz5

Sweet, nice to know! I hope they are working to help Crytek develop games that actually have an ending and not end abruptly leaving the story without closure. Crysis, I'm looking at you!  

News Comments > Battlefield Bad Company 2 PC Beta Details
7. Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 PC Beta Details Jan 27, 2010, 11:14 Zardoz5

Verno wrote on Jan 27, 2010, 09:51:
Aren't you the guy who is always hatin on "the man"? This game will have managed servers, preorder multiplayer bonuses, no console/modding and so on. I am seriously surprised to see you of all people interested in this game after all of the announcements. EA can literally shut down the servers whenever they please.

I don't mind managed servers as they worked OK in BF2/2142, but not releasing the server files for "unranked" servers and lack of modding blows. Seems like Modern Warfail 2 has opened the Pandora's Box of console lock down for PC FPS games and I doubt we'll be going back to the good old days. It appears that most people don't care and will buy whatever is tossed their way.

As for shutting down servers when they please, they have always had that in the fine print and 1942 servers are still up and running since 2002. I hope they keep it up and running since every once in a while I like to go back and play some El Alamein or Gazala.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Mass Effect 2
34. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mass Effect 2 Jan 26, 2010, 18:01 Zardoz5

Akuinnen wrote on Jan 26, 2010, 17:57:
Can't log in to EA to play the game. I enter my account info and it just hangs at the "please wait"

You don't need to login to play, its just to get the DLC. Cancel the EA login and play! Thats what I did and played for about an hour with no issues.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2010, 18:14.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Mass Effect 2
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mass Effect 2 Jan 26, 2010, 13:31 Zardoz5

Fion wrote on Jan 26, 2010, 13:06:
97%? I don't trust pre-release console reviewers as far as I can throw them.

And I barely trust pre-release PC reviewers much more than that.

Yeah most reviewers are fairly biased unfortunately, especially given the amount of advertising $ being thrown around these days you have be wary of reviews. That being said, I think reviews can give you a general feel if a game is garbage or not since a reviewer/website would risk their rep. by giving a garbage game a great review.

News Comments > Playing Mass Effect 2 with No ME1 Saves
17. Re: Playing Mass Effect 2 with No ME1 Saves Jan 25, 2010, 18:52 Zardoz5

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 25, 2010, 18:40:
Anyone else always killed Ashley on Virmire. Just can't stand the bitch.

Ha ha, I'm not a huge Ashley fan but I disliked Kaiden even more, hence he always buys it on Virmire.

222 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo