Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for DStyle

Real Name DStyle   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Zardoz5
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 16, 2009, 18:45
Total Comments 222 (Novice)
User ID 54704

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > On PC Battlefield 3
50. Re: On PC Battlefield 3 Oct 21, 2010, 17:53 Zardoz5

briktal wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 15:12:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 15:02:
Considering close to 62% of PCs on the Steam Hardware Survey are running DX10 or DX11 I can see why they think its OK to stop supporting DX9.

It's a pretty dumb move. 100% of PC's support DX9 and since BF3 will be a console port, there's no reason why it needs to be DX10/11 exclusive.

Though 5.13% have a DX8 or below GPU and another 4.34% only have DX9 SM2 and not DX9 SM2.0b/3 support.

So 62% plus another 9% means that you are keeping DX9 SM2.0b/3 support for potentially 29% of the market. Out of that 29% how many of these are older PCs and laptops that don't have to power to run new games that come out now anyway, let alone BF3 which will come out in probably a year? How many of those 29% will upgrade to a new PC in the next year?

I don't know how much it costs in dev and test time to support DX9, but for a maximum increase of 29% of potential sales EA/DICE have probably said its time drop the hammer on DX9.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: On PC Battlefield 3 Oct 21, 2010, 14:19 Zardoz5

G-Snake wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 12:34:
Nobody has mentioned this yet, although I could be basing it off outdated information:

Hasn't DICE already confirmed that Battlefield 3 will ship on PC with the Frostbite 2.0 engine? FB2.0 only uses DirectX 11 from what I can remember. If this is the case, FB2.0 won't be compatibile with the consoles, since consoles apparently only do up to DX9.

So technically, at least from what I can tell, BF3 on PC will be pretty 'advanced' compared to the console versions, at least I really, REALLY hope.

If it's true, we'll likely get 2 versions, the crappy 'Modern Combat' type version for 360/PS3, and then the bleeding-edge Frostbite 2.0 PC version.

Some DICE devs have confirmed, not officially, but via SIGGRAPH presentations that FB 2.0 will be DX10/DX11 only. Page 8 of "Destruction Masking in Frostbite 2 using Volume Distance Fields" here http://publications.dice.se/ all but confirms this.

That being said of course FB 2.0 is compatible with consoles as DX10/DX11 just makes their life easier when making the PC version. No pesky DX9 to support and hinder FB 2.0. Considering close to 62% of PCs on the Steam Hardware Survey are running DX10 or DX11 I can see why they think its OK to stop supporting DX9.

25. Re: On PC Battlefield 3 Oct 21, 2010, 12:08 Zardoz5

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 11:31:
Verno wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 11:18:
I want it to be a Battlefield game with lots of vehicles, large maps and a huge player count.
I know what you mean but have you looked at Red Orchestra lately? I just saw a video interview with the devs and there will be 64 player tank battles! 32 tanks vs 32 tanks.

I saw a few videos of it from around PAX Prime I think and it looked pretty generic to me. So many other devs have tried to make good vehicle and infantry combat games and failed, for various reasons. Quake Wars, Frontlines: Fuel of War, UT3 (its better now than after launch but no one plays it, doh) to name a few. That is not to say these guys won't be able to make a good game, but for some strange reason no other game company has been able to capture that "Battlefield magic" that DICE has. Unfortunately this allows DICE to release buggy as hell games because they know they have such a huge fan base.

News Comments > On MOH Sales
19. Re: On MOH Sales Oct 20, 2010, 21:47 Zardoz5

Prez wrote on Oct 20, 2010, 17:44:
Everything I have seen indicates MoH 2010 is not a bad game; rather it's quite good. It just is completely unnecessary. Zero interest in this for me.

Playing both PC "Betas" would indicate to me its rather boring and poorly designed, so I would beg to differ with your quite good assessment. For those that have played BC2 those maps feel like BF2 maps compared to MoH's corridor based map design.

News Comments > Désilets and THQ Montreal
1. Re: Désilets and THQ Montreal Oct 19, 2010, 14:19 Zardoz5

Wow another game studio for Montreal. The number just keeps increasing and increasing.  

News Comments > Medal of Honor Patched
13. Re: Medal of Honor Patched Oct 15, 2010, 15:21 Zardoz5

ASeven wrote on Oct 15, 2010, 12:21:
Correct me if I'm wrong here Beamer, but DICE didn't do almost any design and code on BF2, it was another team working for them at the time, at least it's what I've heard from many people. Is this true then? Because if it is it explains why their most successful and cherished game would be one where they had the least involvement.

DICE is one of the most overrated devs out there.

Whaaaa? Perhaps you are thinking of DICE buying the "Desert Combat" IP and hiring that team, which helped with BF2, but they certainly didn't make the game. As far as I know they were basically consultants which DICE eventually jettisoned. They just bought the mod because it was selling copies of 1942 hand over fist.

As for them being overrated IMO they aren't. I'm biased because I'm a huge Battlefield fan but to me no other game or company has been able or willing to replicate the BF experience. Yes their games are have bugs at launch and their servers always melt at launch, but when I'm still playing BF games years after release I think they've earned their kudos.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Signature Edition
31. Re: Dragon Age II Signature Edition Oct 15, 2010, 14:46 Zardoz5

Creston wrote on Oct 15, 2010, 12:29:
I love ME2, so I'm not that worried about the streamlining of certain things. I missed the Mako (the Hammerhead is better), and I'm not happy about inventory just vanishing, but I think that in most other areas, ME2 is a better game than ME1. (apart from the story, but it's hard to make the second one just as epic as the first one, storywise.)

Creston

I too miss the Mako and the inventory from ME1. I also miss the more in depth character building, for both your Shepard and party members. For ME3 they should nuke planet scanning, it is a colossal waste of time. I've nearly fallen asleep doing it on occasion. I agree the last mission of ME2 wasn't nearly as epic as ME1, though I did like the Contra-esque boss design, haha.

I think ME2 had too many party members which ended up watering down the overall narrative since they had to spend a little bit of time on each of their stories. This is especially apparent during the finale of the game where most of the time you don't even see most of them, they conveniently "exit stage right" during most of that sequence and when they do appear some of die with one bullet hit. Lame.

After seeing what they've doing with Dragon Age 2 I'm afraid they will be doing the same type of garbage with ME3. "Oh you want the full game at launch? You are gonna to have to preorder the preorder for the Citadel Edition." Then 6 months after the game comes out they will release some DLC that closes off some major story arc that they "Didn't have time to address during development." I guess they already started with ME2 by making the Shadow Broker story arc DLC instead of putting it in the game. Rolleyes

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Medal of Honor
23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Medal of Honor Oct 12, 2010, 16:45 Zardoz5

bhcompy wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 13:39:
ASeven wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 11:35:
Beamer wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 11:20:
This is one of those games where single and multi are done by separate teams using separate engines. I never fully trust that.

Plus, DICE. I know many here love DICE. I've still hated everything they've done other than the original Battlefield. God I hate not being in a vehicle in their engines.

You and me, I've hated everything DICE has done for the PC since BF2. And the game, both SP and MP, is getting really average reviews all across the board, nobody seems to find a redeeming factor in yet another derivative game.

Yep, DICE needs to stick with what they do best. Vehicular combat. BFV was crap, BF2142 was too infantry heavy, and BFBC2 just doesn't have enough vehicles. Where the hell is the modern version of Aberdeen? BF2 had a good blend of vehicles and infantry, but the Desert Combat mod was mostly better than what BF2 was.

I agree that Conquest in 2142 does have an infantry focus on some maps, that is why I play Titan mode pretty much exclusively when playing 2142. Its great and I hope they make some type of conquest/objective hybrid in BF3 as well. For those who haven't played it or given it some time its probably the best BF mode IMO.

News Comments > RAGE Interview
20. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 11, 2010, 15:25 Zardoz5

So they were all excited about that. “It loads faster, see! My three thousand dollar machine is better because it loads faster!”

Tim, Tim, Tim. You think that all PC gamers care about is a game loading faster? Yes it is nice if it loads fast, but if the game were optimized and designed for gameplay on a PC I would take that over loading faster any day of the week.

Sometimes people are… it’s always the ones that love you the most that you hurt, you know? But I think our hardcore PC fans understand the fact that it’s difficult to be a successful company and only make a PC game. The audience is smaller.

Of course you can make more money selling a game across multiple platforms Tim, its common sense. The problem is that most multiplatform games on PC are watered down, poorly ported experiences that you can easily tell weren't given much effort when making the PC version. People like PC only versions historically because they are usually much higher quality than console ports.

I could care less if you make your next game on 30 platforms, just make them good on each platform and make them take advantage of each platform's strengths. Server browser, dedicated servers, UI, etc. Game developers, please quit making it sound like customers are problem. It is companies that make poor quality PC versions of games that are the problem. Don't complain when people don't buy your garbage port of game X, please. *Cough* UT3 *cough*...

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 8, 2010, 02:48 Zardoz5

So Silicon Knights finally has a new game announced. They must talk a good game after the gong show that was Too Human in order to get Activision to publish for them. Speaking of SK, did anyone ever hear what became of the lawsuit between them and Epic?  

News Comments > Early DNF Demo with Borderlands GOTY
6. Re: Early DNF Demo with Borderlands GOTY Oct 5, 2010, 12:58 Zardoz5

Enahs wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 12:43:
What about all those poor souls that bought the game and the DLC separately, thus giving them more money then this package?
Game companies are increasingly giving me reasons to hold off buying their games at launch and waiting for the "Complete", "GOTY", "Ultimate", etc. editions to come out. I think I may just have to take them up on that their offers more frequently.

News Comments > Medal of Honor Midnight Madness
5. Re: Medal of Honor Midnight Madness Oct 4, 2010, 16:51 Zardoz5

The only way lines would form for this game is if it actually included the BF3 Beta in the box, not just the promise of getting into it. I've played both Betas on the PC and have been underwhelmed by both, its no wonder they are using the BF3 Beta as sales bait.  

News Comments > PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled
13. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 7, 2010, 22:40 Zardoz5

PhysicalEd wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 21:49:
Bludd wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 21:24:
How the hell can they offer 1.5 gigabytes of zeros?

Yeah, I'd have thought it would compress really really well...
Haha. People would've thought it was on the disc already with such a small download.

News Comments > Stardock Layoffs: Elemental Faulted
6. Re: Stardock Layoffs: Elemental Faulted Sep 4, 2010, 15:55 Zardoz5

Kobalt wrote on Sep 4, 2010, 15:36:
Well, at least he realized he and his team fucked up and didn't blame the failure on pirates as usual.

It is refreshing to hear someone in the industry man up and take responsibility for their blunder.

News Comments > The Return of Duke Nukem Forever
6. Re: The Return of Duke Nukem Forever Sep 3, 2010, 13:33 Zardoz5

Beamer wrote on Sep 3, 2010, 13:24:
Well, this isn't quite the pigs flying stage.

Which isn't a huge surprise. Maybe it is about finished, but I'd be shocked. Most of us here have done some coding - remember a time that you took over someone else's project? Even if it was a simple 500 line piece of code it would take you about as long to figure out what was done and why as it did for the guy to originally write it.

It'll take Gearbox a while to figure out why design decisions were made (and if they work.) What tweaks are needed and not only where they're needed in the game but in the code. To figure out how altered the engine code is. To get a grasp on the art style, writing style, and pacing. Etc.

I wonder if perhaps they brought in a few of the former devs and designers to help them figure stuff out? Like you said, looking at someone elses code can be nightmarish and given the number of engine changes and long dev. time who knows what code spaghetti they could be dealing with.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 2, 2010, 03:51 Zardoz5

MrBone wrote on Sep 2, 2010, 02:06:
That Epic demo is unreal...I actually feel sorry for the apple haters.

I feel sorry for people trying to play a FPS on an iPod product.

News Comments >
1. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Aug 31, 2010, 18:07 Zardoz5

D-d-d-double poooooooooost! Flawless, victory!  

News Comments > Mafia II DLC Next Week
10. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Aug 31, 2010, 13:09 Zardoz5

Techie714 © wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 11:18:
Who ever said this game would be awarded a GOTY? With that said though I LOVE it & I'm buying!

Does it actually take being awarded GOTY for them to print it on their box? Cough *Borderlands* cough.

News Comments > Mafia II DLC Next Week
5. Re: Mafia II DLC Next Week Aug 31, 2010, 10:51 Zardoz5

Creston wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 10:27:
Ah, my bad. Thanks Blue.

Creston

Sounds like a good idea to wait for the "Game of the Year" edition to me as it would be nice to get the complete game for one price.

News Comments > AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name
53. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 30, 2010, 20:59 Zardoz5

nutshell42 wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 18:20:
I had a passively cooled 6600GT. It idled at 70°C, got to about 110 at work load and did that for 3 1/2 years until I got rid of the PC. Tough little bugger.

110°C, wow! My 8800GT craps out when it stays at over 90°C for a few minutes. The newer games tax the hell out of it so I have to turn the fan up when I play them. I cringe when I forgot to and it hard locks, one less overheating/cooling cycle before "Bumpgate" claims its next victim.

222 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo