Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kyle Smith

Real Name Kyle Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname briktal
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 6, 2009, 18:41
Total Comments 477 (Amateur)
User ID 54674

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft Uplay PC Launches
11. Re: Ubisoft Uplay PC Launches Aug 16, 2012, 16:46 briktal

Trevellian wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 16:38:
I call absolute bullshit on 35 Million members on Uplay.

For one Uplay is absolute garbage and i was annoyed I had to have it installed to play Future Soldier or Conviction. Not to mention Ubisoft support is some of the absolute worst I have ever had to deal with when I had an issue with Conviction.

Fuck Ubisoft, Fuck Uplay. Absolutely unfortunate since I thought Watch Dogs looked amazing but I don't want that shit installed on my PC ever again.

It's across all platforms so I think that means anyone who played a recent Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, etc game on console as well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Leviathan This Month
1. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leviathan This Month Aug 15, 2012, 22:18 briktal

So is anything not being released August 28?  

News Comments > Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied
22. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 14, 2012, 13:31 briktal

John wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 12:58:
I don't even see HL3 on that list..

Looks like the updated the pdf and removed the Valve HL3 entry.

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Info Incoming
33. Re: Diablo III Patch Info Incoming Aug 10, 2012, 08:22 briktal

El Pit wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 03:11:
NegaDeath wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 18:56:
Apparently Blizzard's network was hacked and they're recommending users change their passwords. Doh.

source

AHAHAHAHAHA. It's also up on the ActiBlizz website:
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/securityupdate.html

"What, your account has been hacked? You must be an idiot. It cannot be our fault. Buy our authenticator! Or use the mobile authenticator app and give us your mobile number. It's safe with us!"

To be fair, we live in a world where people tweet photos of their debit cards.

News Comments > Battle.net Security Breach
49. Re: Battle.net Security Breach Aug 10, 2012, 08:19 briktal

Dades wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 07:25:
passwords (encrypted, not stored plaintext)

Their wording is really vague on this which concerns me. Cryptographically scrambled means what exactly? Hashed and salted? Encrypted? ROT13? What? It's kind of important. I don't need someone to parrot industry standards to me either, the company just got breached so my faith in them following any industry standards is pretty much nil.

I guess they didn't want to bother explaining however http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_remote_password_protocol works and is set up.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 9, 2012, 07:20 briktal

eunichron wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 21:48:
I never understood that for sports games. Beyond adding real life stat tracking and whatever else, what else can you do with a sports game other than release updates that are essentially the same, but with updated rosters?

More/better game modes, presentation, and improved controls/engine.

For the life of me I can't figure out why people buy Madden games each and every year.

The problem EA is having is that fewer and fewer people are buying Madden every year.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financial: WoW Subs Drop to 9.1M
32. Re: Activision Blizzard Financial: WoW Subs Drop to 9.1M Aug 3, 2012, 07:51 briktal

NKD wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 00:49:
Dades wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 00:34:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 23:30:
9.1 million is nothing to sneeze at. Pretty amazing that people can stick to something for so long like that.

Yeah but at the same time losing 10% of that in a quarter is nothing to scoff at either, that's a crazy churn rate with the kind of instability that drives investors crazy. Expansions bring people back but they don't stick around long.

And speaking of investors, a regional breakdown of the loss would be useful. I believe the figure a few years back was that China made up 60% of the players but only 6% of the revenue because of the Chinese company who runs it taking all the dough.

If the loss is heavily biased towards NA/EU subscribers, its a much bigger loss than it sounds.

The only thing they said about it was that they lost more from the East than from the West.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Jul 21, 2012, 20:34 briktal

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 21, 2012, 15:05:
Oh give me a break, Microsoft is the 800 lb gorilla in this case and it is absurd to charge an indie 40k+ for a patch.

The only bad guy here is Microsoft as the developer made the game exclusive for their box.

The problem here is drawing the line at one patch, when Microsoft needs to be a bit more flexible. If the game was on Steam it would have been No issue at all.

I have no sympathy for any writer that tries to make out Microsoft the good guy in any way shape or form. He is an IDIOT!

How do you determine the fee?

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Development Complete
16. Re: Borderlands 2 Development Complete Jul 20, 2012, 14:24 briktal

Alamar wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 11:58:
Interesting how open they're being with the intent, and timeline...

As if, they're trying to educate the ignorant masses, that would normally bitch about DLC that is developed before launch : )

-Alamar

It seems reasonable to be a little skeptical of DLC announced 5 months before the game is released and 3 months before they "finished" the game.

News Comments > Fortnite To Use Online DRM?
7. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 10:18 briktal

deqer wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:06:
"Itís gonna be really dependent on gameplay, and itís also dependent on platform Ė the method of getting updates and stuff like that."

My god, you're so full of shit. You're SO FULL OF SHIT.

Also, what does "only"--for "online only"--requirement have anything to do with how you get updates? Why does game need to be online ONLY for you to get updates? Couldn't you just connect whenever you wanted to and get the updates that way? Shit.

Yeah I never quite understood what they were trying to say. This is a pretty dumb idea.

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2012, 15:42 briktal

Letís say thereís a new film out in a few weeks that was filmed under the following unusual contractual condition: if the Rotten Tomatoes rating isnít above 80% after a week or two, the writer and director donít get paid royalties. Or say a new band signs to a record label, and the label refuses to pay a signing bonus unless their first album gets 5 stars in NME, the Guardian and Kerrang as well as an 85+ on Pitchfork.

Do you know why this doesn't happen? Because people in those industries aren't suckers.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends
32. Re: And... Jul 16, 2012, 16:09 briktal

wonkawonka wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 15:14:
SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 13:52:
Although you can draw a comparison between Uplay and Battle.Net, it really isn't that cut and dry. Even though anti-piracy is a big win for the publisher in how B.Net functions, it at least makes a honest attempt of giving the user features and security in exchange for the annoyance that is DRM. Blizzard has no legitimate reason for not offering an offline mode to D3, but to say their DRM scheme is the same as Uplay when it comes to user acceptance leaves out the added value B.Net offers.

It may not be that cut and dry, but when you launch D3 to play for a half-hour and it tells you you can't, it's as fucking cut and dry as can be.
I've shelved that piece of shit game.

A lot of the anti-DRM response to D3 is because a) the previous games in the series had offline gameplay b) Blizzard is a "big developer" and c) Blizzard is related to Activision. If D3 was instead the first game in a new IP from a new developer, people would almost certainly be less angry at the lack of an offline mode. However, if another company made a 3rd person action game or shooter or single player strategy game with always online DRM, they'd get just as much anger as ubisoft.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Details
32. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 9, 2012, 17:29 briktal

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 16:34:
Beta tests are not supposed to be demos... Sure a lot of big publishers are to blame for fostering that mentality as of late, but to come around demanding a game like this have an open beta test just so you have a chance to try it out before buying is ridiculous. Did you ever think for a moment that they don't care to "show it off to draw in more customers?" Is it so hard to believe that there's a studio out there that is actually interested in collecting feedback from players and making changes based on that info, rather than finishing development completely in-house and then putting out a release candidate to build hype while calling it a "beta" to negate most or all criticism?

It's a waste of time and resources to allow the general public into testing, because even a large portion of people who actually signed up for and were accepted into your closed alpha/beta never intended to take the task seriously... But as pointed out already, there are hundreds of hours of gameplay videos available and it is extremely easy to get into the "closed" beta with all the thousands of keys they give away just before each one. So if all you care about is making an informed purchasing decision, there is already ample opportunity for that. Or you can just jump to conclusions based on your warped perception of what game development should be.

Or they could have the restricted beta/beta weekends for feedback and then an open beta a week or two before launch for people to try it out?

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Confirmed
39. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 6, 2012, 16:18 briktal

Rhino wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 11:12:
I didn't realize that there was much in the way of significant concern that it wasn't going to happen; but still nice to see some sort of confirmation and smart to do so to reduce the number of rumours that will run about. Looking forward to it, not just for reduced prices, but also because I just find the these sorts of things fun.

Some people were getting concerned because the summer sales have started in the last week of June in the past and it's past July 4.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules
34. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 20:40 briktal

Fion wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 15:17:
briktal wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 09:22:
My favorite way of respecting the player is requiring them to purchase character slots if they want to have one character of each class.

They have to make money somehow, and that's still better than say The Secret World, which has a monthly fee and still only gives two character slots, with extras costing you money. At least with GW2 there are in game ways to get gems, and almost everything you can buy at the store is also available in game in a variety of ways. Hell in BWE1 and 2 I 'bought' three extra character slots just by buying gems. It's very easy to make money if you know how to work the market (and you don't even have to be at an NPC to do it!) I also got a number of boosts, repair canisters, etc all from Mystic Chests and I didn't buy a single key for any of them, I got them via personal story rewards or drops in the world. Same for about two-dozen dyes.

Reading some of the below comments I can tell some folks either didn't actually play the game and are just saying they did (because of how factually wrong they are), or those people did some newbie zone stuff (1-15) in zones that were zerged and never got past level 10 or 15 and into the much more challenging content. To suggest that GW2 is just 'coast through the game it's so easy' couldn't be more wrong. If that were the case there wouldn't have been two dozen 'this game is too hard!' threads on the main forums during BWE1 and 2.

Yeah they have to make money somehow but could you imagine the shitstorm if a company like Blizzard did it?

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules
30. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 09:22 briktal

My favorite way of respecting the player is requiring them to purchase character slots if they want to have one character of each class.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 August 28th
43. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 29, 2012, 06:43 briktal

Steele Johnson wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 19:06:
I really haven't been following this game very closely, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't this just another "fetch x items, kill x mobs" type game? Isn't this genre way burnt to a crisp?

I like to call these games (and specifically the latest Diablo) a Trash Collecting sim. All you do is run around and pick up useless trash, and then hike back to a place where you can dump it. Over and over and over again. Do that many people have OCD to justify keeping this genre alive? OMG!

The big innovation is that instead of telling you what X is, there's a bar that fills up as you fetch items and kill mobs.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 August 28th
2. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 09:57 briktal

InBlack wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 09:54:
Ok...fingers crossed that Blizzard is watching that date and brings us PvP (among the other promised shit) to D3.

The WoW expansion also has a chance of coming out around that time.

News Comments > More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details?
16. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 11:20 briktal

Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:48:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:28:
Finally started playing this, about 7 hours in right now. Will be very interested in seeing the original ending that pissed everyone off, so I haven't downloaded the DLC. People seem to think said ending ruins 3 amazing games worth of content and by itself is an example of Bioware's plummeting stock, so... will be interesting.

I thought ME3 was the best game in the series and I don't think the endings by themselves "ruin" anything. That said they definitely put a big damper on what was an interesting attempt at having a story built through player choice.

I hope you don't just play the contrarian role here and actually weigh it without automatically opposing whatever the internet at large thought. I will have to dig up some of my old posts, I wrote up some pretty lengthy teardowns of endings.

You really think three highly successful games are ruined for his resume because of the ending complaints on forums?

I think he was referring to internal dissent about the writing team being precluded from working on the ending. That was also the area of the game everyone had a problem with, the rest of the game has received nothing but accolades.

I don't think the rest of the game is quite that good. A lot of the minor issues that would normally fill the discussion about the game get ignored because the ending was so bad.

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear
17. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 26, 2012, 20:18 briktal

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 19:49:
Creston wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 19:39:
Blizzard's method of balancing is just completely nuts.

"This is too strong. It needs to be lower."

*power or ability gets nerfed by 100%*

"Oh, people are complaining about it. I guess we need to adjust it back up a little."

*adjust it back up by 50%*

It's like they don't even understand the concept of taking small steps to adjust something. It's no wonder they keep patching and "balancing" shit for a dozen years, because that's how long it takes with their methods...

Creston
And one year later its back to where it was before the nerfs.
I was sick of it in WoW, saw it once in Diablo 3 and pulled the brake.
I thought about selling my stuff over the RMAH, but then I realized Blizzard would get more money through me, if I did that. So I just uninstalled it.

You realize they did stuff like that with the 21 patches released for Diablo 2, right?

Also, and I don't know why they didn't make a bigger announcement about it, but they removed the level/progress restrictions for digital purchases.

477 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo