Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kyle Smith

Real Name Kyle Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname briktal
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 6, 2009, 18:41
Total Comments 481 (Amateur)
User ID 54674

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins
6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 25, 2012, 17:13 briktal

heroin wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 16:11:
So far its way better than D3 or The Old Republic, so I am happy to not be disappointed for once in a long time. The launch has been smooth too, unlike other games by companies that could buy up half the entire world but cant even keep their little fucking servers running.

There has been no grind and it has been fun. Its still a little buggy and one thing that is pissing me off is if you jump down a large distance there is no landing sound. Small gripes.

I played The Old Republic for two weeks, I kept wondering if I liked the game and kept pushing myself to play it. It had no soul and it was really boring through and through. I can tell I like GW Two a lot just from playing it for four hours. The world looks great, the combat feels good and the events are organic and a lot of fun.

For $60? Its absolutely worth it.

One thing that I doubt any developer will ever get over WoW is the sound design, still havent played a game with solid transitions in ambiance and graphics like that game. But whatever. Its dead and gone.

Pretty smooth, except for the 4 hours the servers were down earlier today.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Rolling Out
26. Re: Diablo III Patch Rolling Out Aug 21, 2012, 12:52 briktal

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 12:38:
Verno wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 10:43:
The patch errata is the most interesting section of the patch notes. A SHITLOAD of small bugs have been added with this patch. Im thinking that its rushed because of the dumbass FUCK THAT LOSER comment.

Nah it was scheduled for this week long before he made the comments. Diablo 3 had a really good release window but its pretty crowded these days. I was going to reinstall this but Guild Wars 2 is in three days and Sleeping Dogs is tiding me over until then Assuming I get bored of either then Borderlands 2 comes out and Dishonored and so on. Oh well, at least there is no sub fee so I can just check back in whenever.

And that, sir, may very well be the REAL final nail in the coffin of the RMAH! Many in the gaming community have been worried that the success of Diablo3 might cause other publishers to look at the "always online" and RMAH aspects of Diablo3 and copy them. I think it would be very hard to argue that this Blizzard team (coming from WoW backgrounds) were looking to replicate WoW-type recurring income without a subscription fee (that may have caused even fanbois to esssplode!). They saw the RMAH as the replacement for the monthly fee.

The sentiment you have expressed is the bane of that model. Hopefully enough other gamers are like you to the point where Blizzard (and the other publishers watching) decides that RMAH is not a never-ending fountain of cash. Maybe this will help kill that model of game-development.

If you want to milk folks with a monthly fee, have the balls to do it in the open...

But every F2P game and many other games with no monthly sub do the same thing.

News Comments > Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed
13. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 16:36 briktal

Creston wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:03:
So the new endgame is... grind 100 more levels?

Creston

Isn't this what many people were asking for?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2012, 08:48 briktal

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 16:10:
DG wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 15:33:
A basic 500ml plastic bottle of coke here (UK) is about $1.70.

Not a big fan of sugary fizzy drinks personally.
Almost all of us in North America can only get our pop made with fructose/glucose or a combination of both in it. Finding it made with cane sugar or something similar like beet sugar is rare. Another good find, if you run across it? Dr. Pepper made from cane sugar.

Oh and that egg yolk thing. I call bunk, it's about every 4 years or so they go through the "doom, not doomed, doomed, not doomed" thing. 40,000 or more years we've been eating eggs. It hasn't killed us yet, though everything else has.

I think you mean http://www.theonion.com/articles/eggs-good-for-you-this-week,4144/

News Comments > Ubisoft Uplay PC Launches
11. Re: Ubisoft Uplay PC Launches Aug 16, 2012, 16:46 briktal

Trevellian wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 16:38:
I call absolute bullshit on 35 Million members on Uplay.

For one Uplay is absolute garbage and i was annoyed I had to have it installed to play Future Soldier or Conviction. Not to mention Ubisoft support is some of the absolute worst I have ever had to deal with when I had an issue with Conviction.

Fuck Ubisoft, Fuck Uplay. Absolutely unfortunate since I thought Watch Dogs looked amazing but I don't want that shit installed on my PC ever again.

It's across all platforms so I think that means anyone who played a recent Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, etc game on console as well.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Leviathan This Month
1. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leviathan This Month Aug 15, 2012, 22:18 briktal

So is anything not being released August 28?  

News Comments > Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied
22. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 14, 2012, 13:31 briktal

John wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 12:58:
I don't even see HL3 on that list..

Looks like the updated the pdf and removed the Valve HL3 entry.

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Info Incoming
33. Re: Diablo III Patch Info Incoming Aug 10, 2012, 08:22 briktal

El Pit wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 03:11:
NegaDeath wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 18:56:
Apparently Blizzard's network was hacked and they're recommending users change their passwords. Doh.

source

AHAHAHAHAHA. It's also up on the ActiBlizz website:
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/securityupdate.html

"What, your account has been hacked? You must be an idiot. It cannot be our fault. Buy our authenticator! Or use the mobile authenticator app and give us your mobile number. It's safe with us!"

To be fair, we live in a world where people tweet photos of their debit cards.

News Comments > Battle.net Security Breach
49. Re: Battle.net Security Breach Aug 10, 2012, 08:19 briktal

Dades wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 07:25:
passwords (encrypted, not stored plaintext)

Their wording is really vague on this which concerns me. Cryptographically scrambled means what exactly? Hashed and salted? Encrypted? ROT13? What? It's kind of important. I don't need someone to parrot industry standards to me either, the company just got breached so my faith in them following any industry standards is pretty much nil.

I guess they didn't want to bother explaining however http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_remote_password_protocol works and is set up.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 9, 2012, 07:20 briktal

eunichron wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 21:48:
I never understood that for sports games. Beyond adding real life stat tracking and whatever else, what else can you do with a sports game other than release updates that are essentially the same, but with updated rosters?

More/better game modes, presentation, and improved controls/engine.

For the life of me I can't figure out why people buy Madden games each and every year.

The problem EA is having is that fewer and fewer people are buying Madden every year.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financial: WoW Subs Drop to 9.1M
32. Re: Activision Blizzard Financial: WoW Subs Drop to 9.1M Aug 3, 2012, 07:51 briktal

NKD wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 00:49:
Dades wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 00:34:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 23:30:
9.1 million is nothing to sneeze at. Pretty amazing that people can stick to something for so long like that.

Yeah but at the same time losing 10% of that in a quarter is nothing to scoff at either, that's a crazy churn rate with the kind of instability that drives investors crazy. Expansions bring people back but they don't stick around long.

And speaking of investors, a regional breakdown of the loss would be useful. I believe the figure a few years back was that China made up 60% of the players but only 6% of the revenue because of the Chinese company who runs it taking all the dough.

If the loss is heavily biased towards NA/EU subscribers, its a much bigger loss than it sounds.

The only thing they said about it was that they lost more from the East than from the West.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Jul 21, 2012, 20:34 briktal

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 21, 2012, 15:05:
Oh give me a break, Microsoft is the 800 lb gorilla in this case and it is absurd to charge an indie 40k+ for a patch.

The only bad guy here is Microsoft as the developer made the game exclusive for their box.

The problem here is drawing the line at one patch, when Microsoft needs to be a bit more flexible. If the game was on Steam it would have been No issue at all.

I have no sympathy for any writer that tries to make out Microsoft the good guy in any way shape or form. He is an IDIOT!

How do you determine the fee?

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Development Complete
16. Re: Borderlands 2 Development Complete Jul 20, 2012, 14:24 briktal

Alamar wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 11:58:
Interesting how open they're being with the intent, and timeline...

As if, they're trying to educate the ignorant masses, that would normally bitch about DLC that is developed before launch : )

-Alamar

It seems reasonable to be a little skeptical of DLC announced 5 months before the game is released and 3 months before they "finished" the game.

News Comments > Fortnite To Use Online DRM?
7. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 10:18 briktal

deqer wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:06:
"Itís gonna be really dependent on gameplay, and itís also dependent on platform Ė the method of getting updates and stuff like that."

My god, you're so full of shit. You're SO FULL OF SHIT.

Also, what does "only"--for "online only"--requirement have anything to do with how you get updates? Why does game need to be online ONLY for you to get updates? Couldn't you just connect whenever you wanted to and get the updates that way? Shit.

Yeah I never quite understood what they were trying to say. This is a pretty dumb idea.

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2012, 15:42 briktal

Letís say thereís a new film out in a few weeks that was filmed under the following unusual contractual condition: if the Rotten Tomatoes rating isnít above 80% after a week or two, the writer and director donít get paid royalties. Or say a new band signs to a record label, and the label refuses to pay a signing bonus unless their first album gets 5 stars in NME, the Guardian and Kerrang as well as an 85+ on Pitchfork.

Do you know why this doesn't happen? Because people in those industries aren't suckers.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends
32. Re: And... Jul 16, 2012, 16:09 briktal

wonkawonka wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 15:14:
SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 13:52:
Although you can draw a comparison between Uplay and Battle.Net, it really isn't that cut and dry. Even though anti-piracy is a big win for the publisher in how B.Net functions, it at least makes a honest attempt of giving the user features and security in exchange for the annoyance that is DRM. Blizzard has no legitimate reason for not offering an offline mode to D3, but to say their DRM scheme is the same as Uplay when it comes to user acceptance leaves out the added value B.Net offers.

It may not be that cut and dry, but when you launch D3 to play for a half-hour and it tells you you can't, it's as fucking cut and dry as can be.
I've shelved that piece of shit game.

A lot of the anti-DRM response to D3 is because a) the previous games in the series had offline gameplay b) Blizzard is a "big developer" and c) Blizzard is related to Activision. If D3 was instead the first game in a new IP from a new developer, people would almost certainly be less angry at the lack of an offline mode. However, if another company made a 3rd person action game or shooter or single player strategy game with always online DRM, they'd get just as much anger as ubisoft.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Details
32. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 9, 2012, 17:29 briktal

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 16:34:
Beta tests are not supposed to be demos... Sure a lot of big publishers are to blame for fostering that mentality as of late, but to come around demanding a game like this have an open beta test just so you have a chance to try it out before buying is ridiculous. Did you ever think for a moment that they don't care to "show it off to draw in more customers?" Is it so hard to believe that there's a studio out there that is actually interested in collecting feedback from players and making changes based on that info, rather than finishing development completely in-house and then putting out a release candidate to build hype while calling it a "beta" to negate most or all criticism?

It's a waste of time and resources to allow the general public into testing, because even a large portion of people who actually signed up for and were accepted into your closed alpha/beta never intended to take the task seriously... But as pointed out already, there are hundreds of hours of gameplay videos available and it is extremely easy to get into the "closed" beta with all the thousands of keys they give away just before each one. So if all you care about is making an informed purchasing decision, there is already ample opportunity for that. Or you can just jump to conclusions based on your warped perception of what game development should be.

Or they could have the restricted beta/beta weekends for feedback and then an open beta a week or two before launch for people to try it out?

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Confirmed
39. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 6, 2012, 16:18 briktal

Rhino wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 11:12:
I didn't realize that there was much in the way of significant concern that it wasn't going to happen; but still nice to see some sort of confirmation and smart to do so to reduce the number of rumours that will run about. Looking forward to it, not just for reduced prices, but also because I just find the these sorts of things fun.

Some people were getting concerned because the summer sales have started in the last week of June in the past and it's past July 4.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules
34. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 20:40 briktal

Fion wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 15:17:
briktal wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 09:22:
My favorite way of respecting the player is requiring them to purchase character slots if they want to have one character of each class.

They have to make money somehow, and that's still better than say The Secret World, which has a monthly fee and still only gives two character slots, with extras costing you money. At least with GW2 there are in game ways to get gems, and almost everything you can buy at the store is also available in game in a variety of ways. Hell in BWE1 and 2 I 'bought' three extra character slots just by buying gems. It's very easy to make money if you know how to work the market (and you don't even have to be at an NPC to do it!) I also got a number of boosts, repair canisters, etc all from Mystic Chests and I didn't buy a single key for any of them, I got them via personal story rewards or drops in the world. Same for about two-dozen dyes.

Reading some of the below comments I can tell some folks either didn't actually play the game and are just saying they did (because of how factually wrong they are), or those people did some newbie zone stuff (1-15) in zones that were zerged and never got past level 10 or 15 and into the much more challenging content. To suggest that GW2 is just 'coast through the game it's so easy' couldn't be more wrong. If that were the case there wouldn't have been two dozen 'this game is too hard!' threads on the main forums during BWE1 and 2.

Yeah they have to make money somehow but could you imagine the shitstorm if a company like Blizzard did it?

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules
30. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 09:22 briktal

My favorite way of respecting the player is requiring them to purchase character slots if they want to have one character of each class.  

481 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo