Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kyle Smith

Real Name Kyle Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname briktal
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 6, 2009, 18:41
Total Comments 479 (Amateur)
User ID 54674

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Previews
7. Re: Evening Previews Dec 21, 2010, 09:55 briktal

It sounds like the Dragon Age 2 changes are:

--Voiced main character: I generally like that, especially when everyone else talks. It was also annoying how your character just stood around with a dumb look on their face in Dragon Age.

--Faster combat: I don't know, it kinda sounds like combat is just a bit faster, as far as movement and attack speed are concerned. They seem to be adding a bit more of a ME2 style status effect combo system as well. I ended up playing most of Dragon Age like an MMO, with occasional pausing whenever I needed to have the rest of my party do things, so I don't know how much of a difference there'd be.

--Dialogue wheel: I like the idea of it, a system that seems to be a mix of Alpha Protocol (without the time limit stuff) and Mass Effect, but I still prefer seeing the full line your character would say.

--New UI/Art: I don't know, I'm scared of change.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Dec 20, 2010, 17:04 briktal

Prez wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 16:43:
A pretty compelling argument that the Op Ed piece makes to be sure, but the "slowly killing gaming" headline is silly, sensationalist fluff.

The one problem with the article is that it didn't really acknowledge replacing "that health kit" with "cover" in something like "I would much rather know that after I get shot a couple of times, Ive either got pull off a massive win and cap the last two guys without dying or make a dash for that health kit." Realistically, I don't think it matters too much in a normal single player game or even in a standard deathmatchy multiplayer fps with no health pickups. However, regenerating health would obviously take out the whole dynamic health pickups can add to a game.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale Begins
19. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 20, 2010, 16:43 briktal

Creston wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 16:05:
Hmmm, I may pick up the Dragon Age Ultimate pack, just to complete my DLC collection. It's about as much in the pack as it would cost me to buy the remaining ones separately.

Anyone know that if you buy a game in a pack that you already own, if you bascially get a key to give away to someone? I don't need two copies of Dragon Age, may give one to a buddy or something. I'm curious how that works.

Creston

It depends on the game, and possibly the bundle. It might tell you if you go to buy it, but I'm not sure.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Dec 13, 2010, 10:16 briktal

It's like an E3 press conference with the gameplay bits replaced by silly awards.  

News Comments > EA: A Decade of The Old Republic Won't Need Millions of Subs
6. Re: EA: A Decade of The Old Republic Won't Need Millions of Subs Dec 8, 2010, 12:55 briktal

Acleacius wrote on Dec 8, 2010, 12:11:
Where did they learn this or who did they hire?

Unless ea learned this from outside their company, I can't find a reference point for this, is there a game ea has ever supported for more than 5 years, much less a mmog?

Ultima Online?

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta
17. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 3, 2010, 10:43 briktal

Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 01:24:
Uhh it's not like they took the original weapons away. If you're a good player you can still get plenty of kills with the default weapons.

It's not so much about what you can do, it's about what everyone else can do.

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Midnight Events
8. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Midnight Events Dec 3, 2010, 07:25 briktal

DrEvil wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 05:40:
MattyC wrote on Dec 2, 2010, 22:41:
meh anywhere but the west coast any such events would be pointless. You can't actually play the game at midnight anyway.

You can if you pre-order from Blizzard:

"12:01 a.m. PST on December 7"

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/1109867

Lame, isn't it?

I think the main point was that "12:01 a.m. PST" part. If you aren't on the west coast, that's past midnight for you.

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Plans
13. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Plans Nov 23, 2010, 07:44 briktal

Verno wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 07:19:

Oh shut up. You're all going to pick this up and play it at some point and you know it.

Nope and I don't know why this is even assumed. There are a ton of awesome games out right now. Even in my group of friends I'm one of the few who is even remotely interested in this, the casuals are all talking about silly crap like Kinect or playing bizarro mobile games. Face it, most of the casuals wanted to kill Arthas and to them that's the end of the game, there was so much lore focus on him in Warcraft 3 and that's all they remember. The time where WoW was a must play/must buy thing has long since passed.

I don't think most of the casuals even know there is a Warcraft 3.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer
4. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Nov 18, 2010, 14:08 briktal

It looks like the trailer video is running at 2x speed or something with normal speed audio. Isn't it supposed to be about 2 minutes long, not 52 seconds?  

News Comments > DRM-Free Witcher 2 on GOG.com?
8. Re: DRM-Free Witcher 2 on GOG.com? Nov 18, 2010, 12:55 briktal

Here is the page with the details they just announced.  

News Comments > Mass Effect Online?
8. Re: Mass Effect Online? Nov 18, 2010, 12:20 briktal

I thought the talk was that this would be more a typical modern shooter, 4-10 hour SP campaign and online MP with levels and unlocks and stuff, not an MMO.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Tease?
29. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 16:28 briktal

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2010, 16:16:
I don't know why everyone complains about losing ME1's inventory

There's a middle ground between cumbersome inventory with lots of nonsensical items and no inventory at all, that's what most peoples gripe was.

Some games use item management as a tension factor and no I don't mean mucking around with the interface, I mean making actual decisions that have an impact on the gameplay. Do I carry this weapon which is more situational or drop it to carry extra ammo/medigels/whatever? RPGs have usually done as well to some extent, you typically don't just have a bottomless bag that will carry everything in the universe. In ME and DA:O they ruined it by making the inventory too big and overloading the games with too many filler items that didn't really assist gameplay mechanics.

Inventories are only cumbersome and ineffective if design fails in that regard. I don't begrudge Bioware for trying something different there but that combined with the other streamlining really takes a lot of the depth out of the game. When stripped down, you have an awkward shooter of sorts along with a lot of (admittedly high quality) dialogue. Sometimes the quality of the filler makes the game in the same way that the journey can be more fulfilling than the destination.

It's not that ME2 wasn't a good game, it's that they went from one extreme to the other between titles instead of trying to find a happy medium. Empty, barren planets with endless terrain or tight corridors that play out more like traditional videogame levels instead of planets in a universe is another example of that same back and forth.

But in ME1, once you went inside a building or mine on the minor planets, or even just to a storyline planet, it turned into tight corridors. The only thing ME2 really lacked there were the storyline planet vehicle sections.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Black Ops
15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Black Ops Nov 9, 2010, 11:17 briktal

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Nov 9, 2010, 10:51:
You know... I actually agree with you. There have been moments in the CoD games I enjoyed. Modern Warfare 2 even had an ending I thought was rather awesome.

Still, to me.. it's one of the least satisfying SP games I've played. It truly doesn't feel like an FPS should, and the hordes of scripted events, invisible walls and liniair gamestyle really suck. You're basically just playing a House Of The Dead sort of game. The only difference is that you have control on whether you move forward or stand still...

The problem is, the alternative doesn't make as much sense in these games. I mean, if you look at a game like Half-Life, if your goal is to get from A to C, you go down a linear path to B, some obstacle, then have to go down a linear path to B' to get around the obstacle, then continue on down a linear path to C. In a Call of Duty game you just blow up the obstacle at B.

News Comments > Activision Profits
5. Re: Activision Profits Nov 5, 2010, 10:36 briktal

Cutter wrote on Nov 5, 2010, 00:45:
Now imagine if they didn't have their stinkin claws in Blizzard. Those numbers would be a lot less. And Kodick has what to do with them?

Well it's broken down on their report. For the 3 months ending September 30, 2010, income from Activision was -$43 million and income from Blizzard was $246 million. For 9 months it was Activision: -$88, Blizzard: $559

News Comments > EA Financials
16. Re: EA Financials Nov 3, 2010, 09:08 briktal

Beamer wrote on Nov 3, 2010, 06:52:
If it's like some past quarterly reports where the PC was the top platform, a common thing in EA... I expect least its numbers not be too far off from console numbers as individual platforms.

Platform Net Revenue

Xbox 360
171 348 276 262 172 1%
PLAYSTATION 3
142 236 272 209 152 7%
Wii
142 196 71 40 25 (82%)
PlayStation 2
40 44 22 11 29 (28%)

Total Consoles
495 824 641 522 378 (24%)
Mobile
51 56 55 52 49 (4%)
PSP
20 30 37 19 17 (15%)
Nintendo DS
22 63 22 11 8 (64%)

Total Wireless
93 149 114 82 74 (20%)
PC
173 212 178 186 157 (9%)
Other
27 58 46 25 22 (19%)

Total GAAP Net Revenue
788 1,243 979 815 631 (20%)

Meaning that, for the past 4 quarters, PC is pretty much getting smoked by the 360 and meaning that, under GAAP, PC is down 9% while both "hardcore" consoles are up.

It's interesting how close it is to PS3 considering how many EA games that are on 360/PS3 don't get PC releases (FIFA is the only sports game that does).

News Comments > On PC Battlefield 3
44. Re: On PC Battlefield 3 Oct 21, 2010, 15:12 briktal

Jerykk wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 15:02:
Considering close to 62% of PCs on the Steam Hardware Survey are running DX10 or DX11 I can see why they think its OK to stop supporting DX9.

It's a pretty dumb move. 100% of PC's support DX9 and since BF3 will be a console port, there's no reason why it needs to be DX10/11 exclusive.

Though 5.13% have a DX8 or below GPU and another 4.34% only have DX9 SM2 and not DX9 SM2.0b/3 support.

News Comments > Upcoming WoW Item Removals
2. Re: Upcoming WoW Item Removals Oct 18, 2010, 10:52 briktal

Half those will still be obtainable, the last two in particular being changed from automatic to a very low drop chance.  

News Comments > Grotesque Tactics Evil Heroes and Demo Released
4. Re: Grotesque Tactics Evil Heroes and Demo Released Oct 16, 2010, 20:44 briktal

All I've heard about this game is people saying "I heard it was a really bad game."  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2010, 11:09 briktal

After all that I realized they were less than 2 weeks away from being down there longer than APB was live.  

News Comments > EVE Online: Commissioned Officer Edition Announced
4. Re: EVE Online: Commissioned Officer Edition Announced Oct 12, 2010, 13:10 briktal

Zyrxil wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 12:56:
Have you played EVE? There are no classes or anything, so there's really no rerolling.

Especially since they standardized character stats so that you couldn't give your character terrible stats that slowed down most skill training.

One thing I think they could've done to help new characters out in EVE is, over time (every 6/8/12/whatever months), give all characters another level of the learning skills. That is, at time X, all existing and new characters will automatically know basic learning 1. Then, after a year, they can bump that up and all characters know basic learning 2. Existing characters should still want to take the time to train them on their own, but new characters won't start as far behind.

479 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo