Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kyle Smith

Real Name Kyle Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname briktal
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 6, 2009, 18:41
Total Comments 475 (Amateur)
User ID 54674

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Portal 2 Countdown?
15. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 22, 2011, 23:23 briktal

Riker wrote on Apr 22, 2011, 21:58:
I enjoyed the game. I have nitpicks here and there about the story, and it didn't quite meet my expectations, but really, it's another solid game from Valve. Ran through it again today for the commentary mode.

I'm very interested in checking out co-op, but don't want to pop my cherry on running through with a random stranger. Hoping to convince my brother to pick it up.

Regarding the timer... looks like another pointless, anti-climactic timer, but it doesn't look like Valve is involved this time.

Most of my issues with the game involve Act 2.

I started to go through the game again with commentary, but there's just so little commentary. There's something like 50 more nodes total in Portal 1, and in Portal 2 they are also spread between sp and coop modes. I think I went through one or two test chambers without a node and gave up.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Portal 2
32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Portal 2 Apr 19, 2011, 16:00 briktal

ForgedReality wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 15:41:
Frijoles wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 12:14:
One thing I do dislike is the constant loading. Run over here, load. Run over there, load. Time to retire Source.

So glad I recently set up my dual 120gb SSDs in jbod. My game decrypted in less than a minute, and loading times between sections are nearly unnoticeable. Easily less than 5 seconds.

I don't ever want to boot to my other win7 install on an ordinary SATA drive. I don't care that it has all my games and programs installed. This shit is so much faster!

I think the real problem with the loading is that there's now an actual loading screen, instead of just a little "Loading" popup.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 11:30 briktal

descender wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 11:12:
12 hours early is pretty significant. I was in game and playing by 12:35am EST and I continue to have a job today because it was released that early

If they released it before midnight they would have also broken street-date agreements with retailers.

People were "sold" games at a 75% discount under no pretense of releasing more than a day early.

Only the extremely self-entitled feel slighted by this.

I think the amount of mindless time/effort they encouraged the ARG community to put in was excessive considering they pretty clearly planned to do a midnight release (flying 9 key ARG players out to Valve HQ Monday, the whole launch party they had, giving the people who had all 36 potatoes access at midnight with a general release ~30 minutes later).

News Comments > ESRB Changes
10. Re: ESRB Changes Apr 18, 2011, 19:46 briktal

Dev wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 19:20:
Oh and "stocked by Wal-Mart" doesn't mean "major retail games" to me. I've seen total crap junk there.

I think this is more of a non-retail thing, e.g. mobile games, Facebook games, other PC indie games.

News Comments > One Potato, Two Potato...
31. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 12:48 briktal

descender wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 12:40:
<i>There were numerous reasons to believe that Portal 2 could be released days early.</i>

No, there was absolutely no indication of that other than internet rumors and perpetuated stupidity on messageboards. Classic case of assuming something is going to be way better than it is and then trying to act all upset about it when it didn't live up to your unrealistic expectations.

I never said "if you actually believed Valve, you're an idiot."... what I said was if you believed you were going to effect the release date of something by days with no confirmation from Valve themselves, you are a fool.

People saw "Help Release Portal 2 Early" and figured it would be more than just hours early because they didn't think it would make sense for Valve to do this whole glados@home thing just for a midnight release.

News Comments > ESRB Changes
3. Re: ESRB Changes Apr 18, 2011, 11:15 briktal

I'm worried this will reduce the number of games that get those ESRB description paragraphs. There's something about the writing style and the subject matter that make them so interesting.  

News Comments > THQ: Layoffs "Just Business"
11. Re: THQ: Layoffs Apr 12, 2011, 15:06 briktal

Beamer wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 14:14:
And Beamer, movies are made with just a few people?

No, they're made by many, but very few have any creative input into them, therefore the rest are commoditized pieces.

You posted Titanic. Outside of maybe 5 actors, the director, the writer, the cinematographer, the director of photography and a few artists and visual designers you could swap anyone out with a peer from another film and get the same film.

Movies aren't collaborative processes. Video games are.

I'm having trouble picturing Joe Programmer #3 or Additional Artist #2 having much of an impact on how Call of Duty X looks/plays compared to a replacement employee, aside perhaps from quality of their work.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Apr 8, 2011, 15:00 briktal

Hyatus wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 11:54:
Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 10:40:
So if we're looking for anything to blame, I'd start with the ESRB?

Exactly this. It's the same deal with the MPAA in the movie industry. Most companies are trying to trim adult ratings (R/NC17) off of their movies to achieve at least a PG-13. Parents will take their kids to see a PG-13 film, but R-rated movies still have a stigma attached to them, no matter whether the content was fairly judged or not. You try to go for the wider audience to bring in more money.

It's why I wait for a director's cut on some films. I don't know why games can't have the same deal. I'd say put a big "parental-controlled sex and violence" sticker on it and let it be adjustable, but kids are smarter than parents when it comes to technology and will eventually find a way to change it without the parents knowledge.

What's interesting is that the real big selling games are almost all rated either M (Call of Duty, Halo, etc) or E/E10 (Sports games, "casual" games).

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/03/in-2010-5-percent-of-games-were-rated-m.ars

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Apr 8, 2011, 10:55 briktal

Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 10:40:
This is partly down to the overblown reaction of media outlets such as Fox News when news of sex scenes in games hit the mainstream, but it's also evidence of a certain level of prudishness on the part of triple-A developers and publishers in particular.

Actually, it's likely neither of those two. If they show partial nudity in a game, it immediately gets an AO rating from the ESRB, which means none of the major chains will carry it.

So if we're looking for anything to blame, I'd start with the ESRB?

Creston

It's not "triple-A developers and publishers" it's more like "America."

News Comments > THQ Stock Drops
28. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 15, 2011, 23:30 briktal

Overon wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 17:42:
You can watch the first 15 minutes of the game and you will see that's is a console styled first person shooter with a implausible plot:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-15-homefront-review

The plot is an insult to anyone who knows the very basics of North Koreas's situation. North Korea taking over the world, please. They can't feed their people because of the sanctions and their lack of resources.

I just assume they didn't want to make a game where China takes over the US so they created this far-fetched scenario where it's North Korea that takes over Asia and does it.

News Comments > More on Reclaim Your Game, Dragon Age II, and SecuROM
13. Re: More on Reclaim Your Game, Dragon Age II, and SecuROM Mar 14, 2011, 11:34 briktal

Creston wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 11:24:
And again, all for the sake of preventing retailers from breaking a street date, because God forbid someone would get to play your SINGLE PLAYER RPG a few days early (THE HORROR! OMGWTFBBQ!!!!), EA and Bioware have invited a shitstorm of controversy on themselves, and have again shafted legitimate users for whom the game won't unlock because of their stupid Release Control system.

So, good job all around, by both parties.

Creston

Well, street dates are really more on the other end, so Store A doesn't have to worry about Store B getting the game a day earlier and getting extra sales. There are two parts to it, getting stores not to sell it early and getting customers not to buy it early. The stores might have some sort of penalty to pay if they do, and customers get this release date check.

News Comments > BioWare on Dragon Age II DRM
47. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age 2 DRM Mar 12, 2011, 14:46 briktal

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 14:24:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 14:17:
This short article pretty much explains my sentiments:
DA2-The Decline of the classic RPG

And when you are done with that... you can play Dragon Age 3, here:
Dragon Age 3

He's right about the dialogue. Hawke is Shepard: not your own character. That's an annoying departure from DA:O's style.

I don't get this. DefaultName Hawke doesn't feel any more or less my own character than DefaultName Cousland did in Origins.

News Comments > BioWare on Dragon Age II DRM
40. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age 2 DRM Mar 12, 2011, 13:56 briktal

wtf_man wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 13:38:
PropheT wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 13:22:
That simple, really, but people seem so hung up on what the first game was that they aren't even willing to look at this one as its own beast.

That's because they went BACKWARDS (As far as CRPGs are concerned).

If the first game would have started out like a "Medieval Mass Effect"... the second game would be more accepted.

Also... when a company known for RPGs sells and labels a game as an "RPG"... we expect a fricken "RPG"... not a "Action/Adventure game with some RPG elements".

BioWare has sold out to the console crowd, just like every other big name developer. They used to make good PC games... now they are strating to crank out consolized garbage.

This is probably mainly due to EA... and Bioware will end up like Origin. UO was Origin's last big successful title... SW:TOR may be Bioware's (as far as the PC is concerned).

What actually makes it less of an RPG? The only thing so far I can really see is that you don't get to pick your race/origin. The only other changes that could be even close are: not being able to dress up your companions, not being able to talk to your companions quite as much or as often and losing one additional flavor option in a lot of conversations.

News Comments > BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted
30. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 23:49 briktal

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 20:06:
It wasn't a glitch, not a chance. I think they realized that trying to hang the ToS and EULA was jack shit where he lives. Because EULA's are illegal and unenforceable unless the documents are disclosed beforehand, and open to signing by both parties.

In otherwords, he paid for a product and they attempted to stop him from getting it for an extra 72hrs, violating his local commerce laws.

Not a chance? Have you used software recently, hell, ever? I'm not saying that having that ability is an error, but it's certainly possible that they encountered some situation where the "ban from everything" option was set even if the mod didn't intend it.

News Comments > EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access?
54. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 14:48 briktal

Talisorn wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 14:33:
Can you imagine the shitstorm if Valve did this blocking access to Steam? Bad precisent,EA!

If you logged into the Steam forums with your Steam account, Valve would probably do this too.

News Comments > Dragon Age II and High-Rez Patch Released
89. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 9, 2011, 09:47 briktal

sauron wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 08:05:
nin wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 09:51:
Dragon Age 2 release

I dare say, good chap, is this excrement fresh?

This made me lol at my desk this morning.

I'm not sure how Bioware managed to release DA, DA:O and DA2 in such a short space of time. The cynical side of me suspects it has something to do with the sounds of cash registers ringing.

I think they forgot that when trying to balance the interests of the dev team versus the marketing/sales team, the former is always the one to go with.

I don't know enough about game development to know how long it should take. I mean, it was 6 months faster than BG->BG2, but I don't know how much of that was rushing/cutting stuff and how much was better tools and being able to hire more people, as you need some better tools and some more people anyway.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
24. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 9, 2011, 08:04 briktal

I was actually thinking about something like this the other day, words where the short form is part of the full word, but the short form is pronounced differently than it would be as a part of the whole word. It probably has a lot to do with the internet, or at least text-heavy communication, as the only two examples that ever readily come to me are from WoW, where they use "disc" for "discipline" and "demo" for "demonology"  

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 12:37 briktal

Anonymous wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 12:19:
I don't know about the rest of you, but games short of flight simulators simply aren't as complex as the author seems to think.

I think he suffers from a severe form of Noobitus and has always been a casual gamer.

Seriously. Do any of you ever suffer from being so inept as to find the learning curve of a video game too much? WTF game is there, short of a flight simulator, that is actually hard to learn to play?!!!!!!!!!

This guy is a CASUAL GAMER who clearly LACKS INTELLIGENCE. CHILDREN are better at learning to play games than this guy.

NOW if this guy says his lack of time isn't adequate to *get into a game*, or tends to FORGET WHERE HE IS in a game, OK, but it seems more like this guy is just retarded.

I think it's just that games have more gimmicks than they had 10-15 years ago and whenever you pick a game up again, you have to pick up a little bit more than you might've needed to in the past.

News Comments > Technology of Dragon Age II
21. Re: Technology of Dragon Age II Mar 5, 2011, 23:54 briktal

Prez wrote on Mar 5, 2011, 23:48:
Technology so advanced, we had to remove the tactical view!

What a bad decision.

Did people actually use that, or did they just get mad that they zoomed out one mousewheel click too far?

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2011, 14:42 briktal

Cutter wrote on Feb 23, 2011, 14:02:
One massive point he overlooks is that all these hotfixes and constant changes aren't just about balance - because it will never be achieved - but keeping people on their toes and grinding. Got the gear for the spec of the month? Oh dead, it's changed now, time to go out and grind new gear for a new spec. It's why I could never be bothered with all the minutia.

Though they've been doing more and more stuff to make the gear more and more flexible so that you shouldn't need to change anything except possibly weapons when changing specs (within the same role of course).

There are too many balance hotfixes though. The bug fixes mostly make sense, but the pure balance changes are a pain. Aside from playstyle changes, it can just cause general confusion. There's no real notification that anything changed and there are limits to what changes the client can even see without a patch. The second problem is that they have sometimes put in a hotfix that changes a mechanic just as a temporary change until a regular patch changes the mechanic another way. Oh and then they'll change it back two days later.

475 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo